PDA

View Full Version : Football Weird Stuff About Old Football Days

gblowfish
02-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Back in the early 1960's, the Raiders and 49ers played Roller Derby against each other for charity in the Bay Area. Picture below of Hugh McElhenny of the 49ers and Tom Flores of the Raiders.

The Buffalo Bills also played the Cleveland Browns and Green Bay Packers in basketball for charity.

Chiefs used to play local radio and TV celebs in basketball at KC High Schools for charity. They did that for years in the off season.

I started thinking about this after Veatch told Mahomie he couldn't play pickup basketball any more. Of course, now that the money is in the millions, it's understandable.

Halfcan
02-16-2019, 11:16 AM
I remember back in the olden days of the 90's when the Chiefs would play defense. Weird. They would actually be so dominating on the defense they would win games. What a crazy philosophy. Thankfully, that era is over and they turned into the "bend and break" defense we see from the Chiefs nowadays.

It keeps the game interesting knowing that even if the Chiefs score 50 points- they will lose the game. Exciting times!

oldman
02-16-2019, 11:54 AM
I remember some of the old Chiefs signing autographs (for free!) at grocery stores.

Halfcan
02-16-2019, 12:00 PM
The cops used to give out sports cards so you would not end up a thug.

Officer Friendly would come to the school and hand out sports cards to make sure we would all emulate our heroes on the cardboard and not go down a bad road.

Halfcan
02-16-2019, 12:02 PM
Used to be able to walk right into Arrowhead with whatever you wanted to bring. Now, you have to have a cavity search.

oldman
02-16-2019, 12:04 PM
I remember walking into my first game at Arrowhead with a 5th of Jack. It was too cold to drink much beer.

Rain Man
02-16-2019, 12:56 PM
The cops used to give out sports cards so you would not end up a thug.

Officer Friendly would come to the school and hand out sports cards to make sure we would all emulate our heroes on the cardboard and not go down a bad road.

The nice thing about those cards was that you could wedge them in a door and prevent it from locking, which made it easier to burglarize later.

Halfcan
02-16-2019, 01:00 PM
The nice thing about those cards was that you could wedge them in a door and prevent it from locking, which made it easier to burglarize later.

ROFL

That and putting them in the spokes of your bike. That was the only thing a Jamie Quirk card was good for.