PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Giants' rumored to franchis Tag L. Collins and E. Thomas Rumored to go to the Packers

DTVietnam
02-19-2019, 03:56 AM
or Cowboys:

all just rumors for now, but I dont see us grabbing any saftey help in FA

Here's to hoping the Chiefs are too busy focusing on a way of keeping at least Hill, Jones, and Ford/Houston and still throwingh a bag of Money at Mahomes. . Priorities first. . the rest can fall in place..

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Giants?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Giants</a> ARE expected to use the franchise tag on S Landon Collins. The franchise tag will have Collins scheduled to make around $11 million in 2019. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CTBNews?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CTBNews</a></p>&mdash; Catch The Blitz (@CatchTheBlitz) <a href="https://twitter.com/CatchTheBlitz/status/1097611657050767360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Packers Projected to Sign Pro Bowl Safety Earl Thomas:<a href="https://t.co/urVHAk03lS">https://t.co/urVHAk03lS</a> <a href="https://t.co/896KHcLKnj">pic.twitter.com/896KHcLKnj</a></p>&mdash; The Sport Review (@sportreview4) <a href="https://twitter.com/sportreview4/status/1097368788805304320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

New World Order
02-19-2019, 04:08 AM
I have a feeling Honey Badger will sign here

TwistedChief
02-19-2019, 04:56 AM
Terrrrrrrrible thread title.

The Earl Thomas bit isn't a "rumor" - it's a PFF projection from last week (which includes where the PFF writer thinks all key free agents will end up). Meaningless.

Sassy Squatch
02-19-2019, 04:58 AM
LMAO Rumors =/= PFT throwing shit at the wall.

CoMoChief
02-19-2019, 06:00 AM
The Chiefs rarely sign big named FA's. I mean Sammy Watkins was probably their biggest FA signing since....? Trying to remember off top of my head, but the last time they made a trade for one was....maybe Patrick Surtain? I'm not counting Alex Smith as a top tier FA because heading into 2013 he was a very "meh" QB in a shitty FA QB market. Ended up working out ok...i guess :/

I dont think Chiefs will sign anyone in that upper tier market. They're Goodwill FA shoppers.

Schwartz was a very good signing, but you rarely see RT's considered as "blockbuster" signings, if that makes sense.

Gravedigger
02-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Get some authentic sources, then post something.

TwistedChief
02-19-2019, 06:36 AM
The Chiefs rarely sign big named FA's. I mean Sammy Watkins was probably their biggest FA signing since....? Trying to remember off top of my head, but the last time they made a trade for one was....maybe Patrick Surtain? I'm not counting Alex Smith as a top tier FA because heading into 2013 he was a very "meh" QB in a shitty FA QB market. Ended up working out ok...i guess :/

I dont think Chiefs will sign anyone in that upper tier market. They're Goodwill FA shoppers.

So Veach has one full offseason as a GM and signs Watkins.

Yet you think a better predictor of our future free agent signings is what Peterson and Pioli did a decade ago?

Don’t think so.

pugsnotdrugs19
02-19-2019, 07:12 AM
Thomas will be a Cowboy. Think he’d even take a minor discount to do so.

BleedingRed
02-19-2019, 07:13 AM
Thomas will be a Cowboy. Think he’d even take a minor discount to do so.

It is known

Dante84
02-19-2019, 07:18 AM
LMAO Rumors =/= PFT throwing shit at the wall.

Not even PFT - it’s PFF lol

TambaBerry
02-19-2019, 07:33 AM
catch the blitz has 56 followers

Sorce
02-19-2019, 07:50 AM
If we were gonna tag and trade Ford would you trade him straight up for Collins?

Eleazar
02-19-2019, 08:09 AM
So, he going to sign with the Raiders, Packers, and Cowboys now. Maybe we can get part of the timeshare before the rumor mill is finished.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 08:14 AM
If we were gonna tag and trade Ford would you trade him straight up for Collins?

Yes.

Buckweath
02-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Nope.

The Chiefs are absolutely signing a top FA safety BTW, be it Thomas, Amos or Mathieu, etc.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Nope.

The Chiefs are absolutely signing a top FA safety BTW, be it Thomas, Amos or Mathieu, etc.

And keeping Ford? Good luck with that. They're going to have just enough cap space left to sign rookies after they get Ford, Houston, and Berry taken care of (or not).

Rausch
02-19-2019, 08:30 AM
The Chiefs rarely sign big named FA's.

This is a myth.

They've overpaid for free agents for years. The fact is that a lot of free agents just didn't want to come here. The Chiefs weren't considered legitimate contenders for a SB even when they were winning the division or competitive.

Clark has proven he's willing to pay big $$$ to coaches and players when he believes they're top of the line guys.

Sassy Squatch
02-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Yes. The only way Thomas isn't a Cowboy is if they egregiously try to take advantage of the fact he want to be there and low ball him so significantly he doesn't want to play there anymore.

Rausch
02-19-2019, 08:33 AM
I honestly expected either Collins or Thomas to end up here. Clark/Veach have shown significant interest in both. Last year we had good enough players at CB but the approach and play calling were shit. With Berry out the talent and play at safety were piss poor.

ChiefBlueCFC
02-19-2019, 09:59 AM
Landon Collins getting tagged is not surprising at all. And Earl Thomas to the packers wouldn't surprise me but they just traded away Ha Ha so it also makes me think that that isn't an accurate rumor but who knows.

BigRedChief
02-19-2019, 10:47 AM
Terrrrrrrrible thread title.

The Earl Thomas bit isn't a "rumor" - it's a PFF projection from last week (which includes where the PFF writer thinks all key free agents will end up). Meaningless.Yeah come on dudes, these misleading and inaccurate thread titles are getting out of control.

If we want to take shit just thrown at the wall to see what sticks, we can go to the Chief fan Facebook pages.

Chief Northman
02-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Veach is not interested in Earl Thomas long term. The reported deal in place for him last season and the subsequent compensation the Chiefs offered was reflective of him being in KC for just 2018.

We may never find out, but I bet the Chiefs will make another trade offer to the Giants for Collins. He’s Spagnuolo’s guy.

I predict Amos goes to Denver and Mathieu re-signs with Houston.

bricks
02-19-2019, 11:32 AM
I had a feeling Collins would be tough to get because yeah Giants aren’t going to let him go that easily. Earl Thomas meh he is a 30 year old safety with probably a few good years left and past his prime. It doesn’t surprise me the competition for him will be steep with the Cowboys and Packers for sure.

**** it. Lets just draft a safety instead. Kiper has us taking Jonathan Abram in the first.

dlphg9
02-19-2019, 11:44 AM
catch the blitz has 56 followers

I was gonna ask who the fuck they even were. It seems every year we have more and more "insiders" breaking "news".

Dunerdr
02-19-2019, 11:46 AM
We were never getting either of these two “big names anyway”.

JakeF
02-19-2019, 11:49 AM
We aren't signing Earl Thomas anyway. He is too old for a huge contract and we already have a lot of money tied up in that position. I imagine we draft a couple of safeties, probably 1 relatively high.

mnchiefsguy
02-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Since when do the Packers sign big name Free Agents?

I agree that Dallas is most likely to land Thomas. I think the Chiefs could be in the mix if they decide they want to spend the cash, but I don't think that is a certainty.

Buckweath
02-19-2019, 12:25 PM
I had a feeling Collins would be tough to get because yeah Giants aren’t going to let him go that easily. Earl Thomas meh he is a 30 year old safety with probably a few good years left and past his prime. It doesn’t surprise me the competition for him will be steep with the Cowboys and Packers for sure.

**** it. Lets just draft a safety instead. Kiper has us taking Jonathan Abram in the first.

Drafting a safety in the 1st round when there is such a quality crop of FA would be disgusting IMO.

This being said, I am confident Veach will sign a FA and not draft a safety before the 2nd round if even he drafts a safety that high.

Simply Red
02-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Hmm

Chris Meck
02-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Drafting a safety in the 1st round when there is such a quality crop of FA would be disgusting IMO.

This being said, I am confident Veach will sign a FA and not draft a safety before the 2nd round if even he drafts a safety that high.

Having a top safety talent on a rookie contract for five years would be dithguthting?

Chris Meck
02-19-2019, 12:32 PM
I'd really like Landon Collins. He's young, he's excellent, he can play either Safety position. All the others top tier FA's? Ehhh. They're either specifically 'box' safeties or FS specifically OR they're a little long in the tooth for the long term deals they're probably seeking. We need to upgrade talent, but we don't want to screw ourselves.

TEX
02-19-2019, 12:33 PM

He's not that good. That's why the Texans may not re-sign him. Dude can't cover over the top to save his life.

TEX
I'd really like Landon Collins. He's young, he's excellent, he can play either Safety position. All the others top tier FA's? Ehhh. They're either specifically 'box' safeties or FS specifically OR they're a little long in the tooth for the long term deals they're probably seeking. We need to upgrade talent, but we don't want to screw ourselves.

This.

Baby Lee
Not even PFT - it’s PFF lol

https://media1.fdncms.com/metrotimes/imager/u/magnum/14527946/paul-f-thompkins.jpg

ModSocks
He's not that good. That's why the Texans may not re-sign him. Dude can't cover over the top to save his life.

This.

Just say no to an under-sized, often injured player who's reputation is better than his game.

O.city
02-19-2019, 12:37 PM

It sucks because we've missed 2 years of his prime here I suppose, but I feel like Collins is a little Berry like. Sure, that's great to have obviously, but give me an elite deep FS that can generate turnovers and play sideline to sideline.

AKA Earl Thomas.

TambaBerry
02-19-2019, 12:37 PM
This.

Just say no to an under-sized, often injured player who's reputation is better than his game.

often injured? He has played the last two seasons in full

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Having a top safety talent on a rookie contract for five years would be dithguthting?

And keeping Dee Ford is a "no brainer". :shake:

TEX
02-19-2019, 12:43 PM
often injured? He has played the last two seasons in full

That's not really accurate. He gets nicked up a LOT. He's not big at all (They list him at 5' 9" 185 lbs, and I seriously doubt he's even that big) and it's a factor, and once he gets banged up, it really affects his play. This season for example, he played a lot but was dealing with nagging injuries, and his game went downhill. The Colts totally exposed him. He was targeted repeatedly - the Texans knew it, but they still couldn't prevent it. He's ok on the underneath stuff, but anything deep, dude is TOAST.

Buckweath
02-19-2019, 12:45 PM

In the Chiefs situation, yeah.

You can sign a good FA safety and have a corps of that FA safety, Berry, Watts, Lucas, maybe a mid-round pick safety, etc. You can have potentially a great safety group for the next few years this way without having to spend a 1st round pick on the position.

The Chiefs need CBs big time and there is nothing like the safeties there on the FA market. They also need to get an additional LB (through the draft) with the disastrous season that Hitchens has just had and in general a somewhat underwhelming group at that position.

I really wouldn't like a 1st round pick at the safety position when looking globally at this team and the FA market.

Buckweath
02-19-2019, 12:47 PM
And keeping Dee Ford is a "no brainer". :shake:

Dee Ford on the tag indeed is a no brainer.

You know he has had many injuries before but he just had a stellar season and those passrushers are so valuable.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 12:48 PM
In the Chiefs situation, yeah.

You can sign a good FA safety and have a corps of that FA safety, Berry, Watts, Lucas, maybe a mid-round pick safety, etc. You can have potentially a great safety group for the next few years this way without having to spend a 1st round pick on the position.

The Chiefs need CBs big time and there is nothing like the safeties there on the FA market. They also need to get an additional LB (through the draft) with the disastrous season that Hitchens has just had and in general a somewhat underwhelming group at that position.

I really wouldn't like a 1st round pick at the safety position when looking globally at this team and the FA market.

Who is your target in FA that is really a difference maker? Thomas isn't coming here and neither is Collins. Amos is going to get paid way more than he's worth.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 12:49 PM
Dee Ford on the tag indeed is a no brainer.

You know he has had many injuries before but he just had a stellar season and those passrushers are so valuable.

Good luck signing your FA safety with $17M tied up in Dee Ford.

O.city
02-19-2019, 12:50 PM

They'll cut Houston to keep Ford.

TEX
02-19-2019, 12:51 PM

I think you're right.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 12:51 PM

And Eric Berry?

TEX
02-19-2019, 12:52 PM
And Eric Berry?

DON'T SAY THAT NAME!!!

(The Hobo Spirit is strong with him. Unfortunately, he'll be here.)

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 12:54 PM
ROFL

Sorry, it had to be done.

People are acting like he's no longer on the team when in reality, he is.

O.city
02-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Yeah, EB isn't going anywhere.

Buckweath
02-19-2019, 12:57 PM

I think the tag will be around $15M.

Houston will take a pay cut or be cut.

Sorensen can be cut.

O.city
02-19-2019, 01:01 PM
They can clear up and find money if they want. That's not a problem.

They need to push the chips in wisely. Not go crazy with it, but they've got 2 years to get a Sb.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 01:13 PM

Sorensen can be cut.

He could easily file, and win, a grievance that he's a DE now that the Chiefs have made it publicly known they're moving to a 4-3.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 01:14 PM
They can clear up and find money if they want. That's not a problem.

They need to push the chips in wisely. Not go crazy with it, but they've got 2 years to get a Sb.

If they want. The wise thing to do would be to cut Eric Berry. They won't.

TEX
02-19-2019, 01:19 PM

You so nailed this one in every way.

bigjosh
02-19-2019, 01:48 PM

If he cant pass a physical by next month it would cost more to cut him than keep him.

Chief Northman
02-19-2019, 02:01 PM
He could easily file, and win, a grievance that he's a DE now that the Chiefs have made it publicly known they're moving to a 4-3.

Nope.

Based on last year’s snaps. 3-4 OLB.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 02:01 PM
If he cant pass a physical by next month it would cost more to cut him than keep him.

He was cleared to play at the end of the season. The only way he fails a physical is if he has surgery before then, which so far he hasn't done according to reports.

TribalElder
02-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Was hoping Earl Thomas would land in KC

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 02:14 PM

At the trade deadline LAST YEAR.

That ship has sailed my friend.

Sassy Squatch
02-19-2019, 02:14 PM
If only his leg didn't break like a KitKat bar.

JakeF
02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Speaking of Eric Berry, why hasn't he had surgery yet?

Sassy Squatch
02-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Speaking of Eric Berry, why hasn't he had surgery yet?
Because you fiddle with your diddle at night.

saphojunkie
02-19-2019, 02:26 PM
https://media1.fdncms.com/metrotimes/imager/u/magnum/14527946/paul-f-thompkins.jpg

https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/cHFos-5NzMV-cBxd2YiKvLwc3Ws=/800x600/filters:no_upscale()/https://public-media.si-cdn.com/filer/51/cd/51cd1d0d-6e57-4e6d-938a-babbe00d1427/171221-hugh-jackman-greatest-showman-se-138p_72069b8fc51dbf73e06d018a4326a4a2focal-860x430.jpg

saphojunkie
02-19-2019, 02:33 PM

Maybe. I think that's a mistake, though.

Bump
02-19-2019, 02:34 PM

not if that safety turned out to be good lol, it would be the opposite of disgusting.

JakeF
02-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Because you fiddle with your diddle at night.
If that's the case then Berry might as well retire. :p

JakeF
02-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Houston is better than Ford even with his bum knee.

O.city
02-19-2019, 02:58 PM
As I said in another thread, I think Houston is better against the rush and such.

He's not on Fords level rushing the passer anymore I don't think.

He's just not worth 21 mil this year. It doesn't mean he's not still really good.

New World Order
02-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Sounds like Spags favors Ford over Houston

Trust in Spags.

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 03:05 PM
As I said in another thread, I think Houston is better against the rush and such.

He's not on Fords level rushing the passer anymore I don't think.

He's just not worth 21 mil this year. It doesn't mean he's not still really good.

Just for the sake of argument, here is the November-December stats for Ford and Houston. It's not night and day difference. They were both good down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Ford - 10 sacks (4 against Seattle), 9 TFL, 3 FF, plus 1 sack and 1 FF against Colts in playoffs

Houston - 6 sacks (didn't play first two weeks of November), 4 TFL, 3 FF, plus 2 sacks against Colts in playoffs.

SAUTO
02-19-2019, 03:21 PM

But he's never played that position.

Chief Roundup
02-19-2019, 06:06 PM

I just don't know if that $4M dollars difference is big enough to make me keep the lesser talent.

Chief Roundup
02-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Sorensen can be cut.

There have been a few of the talking heads that say it will be close to $17M. Which makes sense since last year there were 2 players with the same position that were over $17M each and it is based off of the average of the top 5 players at that position.

Chief Roundup
02-19-2019, 06:13 PM

I don't see how he could win that since the tag is based off of last years salaries.

SAUTO
02-19-2019, 06:14 PM
I don't see how he could win that since the tag is based off of last years salaries.

Last year's SNAPS position

htismaqe
02-19-2019, 06:14 PM
There have been a few of the talking heads that say it will be close to $17M. Which makes sense since last year there were 2 players with the same position that were over $17M each and it is based off of the average of the top 5 players at that position.

It's even more if they slap the exclusive rights tag on him (since they want to keep him).

Chief Roundup
02-19-2019, 06:21 PM
Last year's SNAPS position

I thought that he would probably be listed as Edge Rusher to basically cover the 3-4 OLB and the 4-3 DE/Leo. Now that I know that Ford dropped into coverage at least 6 times a game last year listing him as an Edge Rusher might not be the accurate position designation.

Chief Roundup
02-19-2019, 06:36 PM
It's even more if they slap the exclusive rights tag on him (since they want to keep him).

If they wanted to keep him they could get him now long term without breaking the bank. Ford is excited to be getting the franchise tag. He would sign a deal that we could get out of and he would carry a significantly lower cap number than what the tag is going to cost.
They want him to "prove it" again. I am not sure that he can with the change of scheme, position, etc. If Ford does I hope they do a tag and trade next off season.

Iconic
02-19-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm really not a fan of Collins. I hope they do tag him and keep him. From what I've heard he was consistently getting burned in NY. Dudes a glorified box safety and that's not worth 12m per lol. You can get that from later rounds in the draft.

ILChief
02-19-2019, 07:53 PM
I want the honey badger or Adrian Amos

carcosa
02-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Shit!!!! fuck

chiefforlife
02-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Landon Collins DB, New York Giants
Colts beat writers expect the team to have interest in impending free agent S Landon Collins.

Three Colts beat writers -- George Bremer, Mike Chappell, and Joel Erickson -- all tweeted virtually the same thing within minutes Wednesday afternoon after ESPN's Josina Anderson reported Collins cleaned out his locker at Giants headquarters and said goodbyes to other members of the organization. The safety position is extremely important in Colts DC Matt Eberflus' defense, and Colins is a top talent and just turned 25. The question is whether the Giants use the franchise tag on Collins to keep him from reaching the open market.
Related:

Indianapolis Colts

Source: George Bremer on Twitter
Feb 20, 2019, 12:42 PM

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
02-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Collins is gone

chiefforlife
02-20-2019, 03:04 PM
Collins is gone

While not great news for the Chiefs, if they can part ways with Berry and use that money on Collins, I'd say we have a chance. We also have Spags on our side.

BigRedChief
02-20-2019, 03:07 PM
While not great news for the Chiefs, if they can part ways with Berry and use that money on Collins, I'd say we have a chance. We also have Spags on our side.explain yourself. Collins forcing the issue definitely helps us because he’s not staying with the Giants, no matter what.

RollChiefsRoll
02-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Oh man Landon Collins is a thumper. Would love to go get that dude.

Pitt Gorilla
02-20-2019, 03:11 PM
If we didn't have Berry's albatross of a contract, we could do some work. He needs to retire yesterday.

ModSocks
02-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Collins is gone

From the Giants? Yeah i hope so.

htismaqe
02-20-2019, 03:15 PM
If we didn't have Berry's albatross of a contract, we could do some work. He needs to retire yesterday.

As long as they can designate him as a June 1st retirement. Otherwise, they should cut him or he can retire after June 1st.

chiefforlife
02-20-2019, 03:16 PM
explain yourself. Collins forcing the issue definitely helps us because he’s not staying with the Giants, no matter what.

What I meant by not great news for the Chiefs is that the Colts being in on Collins, with the cap space they have will make it tougher to land Landon.

BigRedChief
02-20-2019, 03:22 PM
What I meant by not great news for the Chiefs is that the Colts being in on Collins, with the cap space they have will make it tougher to land Landon.okay. My point was the first step was to Collins not play ball. FU Giants, I’m outta here.

DTVietnam
02-20-2019, 04:06 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">👀👀👀👀👀👀 <a href="https://t.co/x3w4SjpOZq">https://t.co/x3w4SjpOZq</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/1098300425567121408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 20, 2019</a></blockquote>

Naptown Chief
02-20-2019, 06:48 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">👀👀👀👀👀👀 <a href="https://t.co/x3w4SjpOZq">https://t.co/x3w4SjpOZq</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/status/1098300425567121408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 20, 2019</a></blockquote>

Well, wouldn't that be nifty.

Chris Meck
02-20-2019, 06:55 PM
PLEEEEEEESE GAWD

Rausch
03-19-2019, 01:20 AM
or Cowboys:

all just rumors for now, but I dont see us grabbing any saftey help in FA

:)