PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Would You ‘Brock’ Eric Berry?

Brooklyn
02-21-2019, 08:33 AM
Attach a 2nd round pick to Eric Berry and his contract, trade him to a team who can absorb it into their salary cap.

Not sure what the cap ramifications would be if they did trade him but it’s an interesting thought, especially if Collins hits the open market. Giants are so dumb, it just might happen. Recall when Gettlemen rescinded the tag on Norman and lost him for nothing.

Again, no idea what dead money that might create, but if they can come off his money, penalty free, what draft capital would you spend to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loochy
02-21-2019, 08:34 AM
yes

Edit: I said that as a snap reaction to get him out of here. A deeper analysis reveals that the situation in the OP doesn't make sense for the Chiefs.

TambaBerry
02-21-2019, 08:34 AM
it would only save us 4 million, no way id do that

htismaqe
02-21-2019, 08:35 AM
Nobody is going to trade anything for Berry after this past season. If the Chiefs can't (or won't) cut him, he's coming back.

Great Expectations
02-21-2019, 08:44 AM
Yes, getting $4 million and a second round pick is a no brainer.

loochy
02-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Yes, getting $4 million and a second round pick is a no brainer.<br />
<br />
no no no, we give away the second

i.e. we give up berry and a 2nd to get $4 mil cap space

Rausch
02-21-2019, 09:03 AM
Nobody is going to trade anything for Berry after this past season. If the Chiefs can't (or won't) cut him, he's coming back.

This...

Skyy God
02-21-2019, 09:04 AM
<br />
<br />

Trading accelerates the cap hit to the dealing team.

OP is way off base.

King_Chief_Fan
02-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Nonsense
Broken down Berry is worth nothing.
He is gone as soon as his cap liability makes sense.
You will see Beery roaming the sidelines watching games for another season.

TEX
02-21-2019, 09:07 AM
Hell no. Not giving up anything to get rid of the guy. The Chiefs need to just bite the bullet and cut his ass in the best way that works for them, deal with the consequences and move on.

Simply Red
02-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Hell no. Not giving up anything to get rid of the guy. The Chiefs need to just bite the bullet and cut his ass in the best way that works for them, deal with the consequences and move on.

I don't see any other possibility than this - of course you never know, but...

jjchieffan
02-21-2019, 09:19 AM
I think that the other team would have to give us cash for the prorated portion of the signing bonus to help our cap. I doubt that anyone is doing that.

scho63
02-21-2019, 09:36 AM

This for sure! :clap:

Nobody is trading a 15 year old Cadillac with 200,000 miles and engine trouble for a newer, nicer car and pay the seller money.

smithandrew051
02-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Eric Berry is a Chief for life. He’s our emotional leader. Having him is like having another coach. All of the players rally around him. Our defense is nothing without him. Think of everything he’s been through.

Sorry. I’ve been reading Arrowhead Pride Facebook post comments from TruFans. My brain has a haglund’s deformity now.

Brooklyn
02-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Trading accelerates the cap hit to the dealing team.

OP is way off base.

that was the missing info I didn't understand. Obviously not worth it for only a $4M savings. Moving along...

WhawhaWhat
02-21-2019, 09:43 AM
<iframe src="https://www.spotrac.com/widget/player/6514/" width="610px" height="610px" frameborder="0" ></iframe>

Eleazar
02-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Why would a team that's so bad on defense want to trade a second round pick for cap relief? We need picks, not cap space.

htismaqe
02-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Why would a team that's so bad on defense want to trade a second round pick for cap relief? We need picks, not cap space.

They need both.

loochy
02-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Why would a team that's so bad on defense want to trade a second round pick for cap relief? We need picks, not cap space.<br />
<br />
The real question is "could $4M buy us 2 free agents that are combined better than Eric Berry and a second rounder (considering future/youth as well)?".

ModSocks
02-21-2019, 11:02 AM
LMAO no

Chris Meck
02-21-2019, 11:22 AM
<br />
<br />
The real question is "could $4M buy us 2 free agents that are combined better than Eric Berry and a second rounder (considering future/youth as well)?".

nobody's trading for a player who hasn't played meaningful football in two years and done nothing to indicate he'll be ready to play this year.

loochy
02-21-2019, 11:26 AM
nobody's trading for a player who hasn't played meaningful football in two years and done nothing to indicate he'll be ready to play this year.

well you'd think not

but hey, sometimes teams do dumb things

Rain Man
02-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Berry is positioning himself for comeback player of the year. He would have done it this year, but he knew that Andrew Luck would get the award since he's a quarterback. So he waited.

wazu
02-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Like thinking outside the box, but no. We're stuck with a 52 man roster, a smaller salary cap, and a need at safety. Is what it is, at least this year we go in knowing so we can plan for it.

Otter
02-21-2019, 12:11 PM
I'm up for hiring a mafia hit man to get spirit hobo off the sidelines.

BlackOp
02-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Has the situation with Berry ever happened before? Signing a record deal then getting hurt after 3/4 a game...then complications from having Chemo and said injury affect another unrelated condition...preventing the player from ever playing in any meaningful way? Player is too expensive to release due to his guaranteed money accelerating so he is reduced to just "hanging around".

Berry's situation seems like a unique scenario...and it seems unfair to the team to be unable to come to a retirement settlement.

Teams shouldn't be on the hook for a player that can no longer play but cant retire due to contractual ramifications.

Teams should be able to wipe this off their books...provided the player never plays in the NFL again.

htismaqe
02-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Has the situation with Berry ever happened before? Signing a record deal then getting hurt after 3/4 a game...then complications from having Chemo and said injury affect another unrelated condition...preventing the player from ever playing in any meaningful way? Player is too expensive to release due to his guaranteed money accelerating so he is reduced to just "hanging around".

Berry's situation seems like a unique situation...and it seems unfair to the team to be unable to come to a retirement settlement.

Teams shouldn't be on the books for a player that can no longer play but cant retire due to contractual ramifications.

Yeah, let Clark give him a severance package in cash and just write him off. Everybody gets something out of the deal.

threebag
02-21-2019, 12:42 PM

Can’t wait to watch him blanket Gronk again...

ct
02-21-2019, 12:43 PM
<iframe src="https://www.spotrac.com/widget/player/6514/" width="610px" height="610px" frameborder="0" ></iframe>

this graphic fucking sucks

Great Expectations
02-21-2019, 01:14 PM
<br />
<br />

No way I’d do that. We should be able to draft someone who is more valuable on a rookie contract than what we can sign for $4 mil.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Rick James, cocaine, and slapping are the sugar and spice this thread is made of.

Flying High D
02-21-2019, 10:50 PM
I’m Rick James, bitch.

kccrow
02-22-2019, 12:02 AM
Trading Berry gets you 1.55 m in cap space and you're willing to give a pick up too? Fuck no. If a team were willing to give up day 3 pick for his ass I'd take it and just eat his shit contract this year to free up the future but I find that to be doubtful given the receiving team probably wouldn't pass his physical.

HemiEd
02-22-2019, 06:14 AM
Berry is positioning himself for comeback player of the year. He would have done it this year, but he knew that Andrew Luck would get the award since he's a quarterback. So he waited.

Has anyone ever won that award twice?

farmerchief
02-22-2019, 07:53 AM
Nonsense
Broken down Berry is worth nothing.
He is gone as soon as his cap liability makes sense.
You will see Beery roaming the sidelines watching games for another season.

If the Chiefs are stuck with him for another year, at least give him a job mowing around the stadium and such. Riding a lawn mower wouldnt hurt his heal, and the Chiefs would get something in return for his salary.

loochy
02-22-2019, 08:32 AM
If the Chiefs are stuck with him for another year, at least give him a job mowing around the stadium and such. Riding a lawn mower wouldnt hurt his heal, and the Chiefs would get something in return for his salary.

Make him ride Warpaint after a TD