PDA

View Full Version : Life RIP Peter Tork Monkees Singer Bassist Keyboardist

srvy
02-21-2019, 11:01 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/peter-tork-endearingly-offbeat-bassist-and-singer-in-the-monkees-dies-at-77/2019/02/21/479cf4ae-35ee-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_term=.47dbea3254a7

The younger folks probably wont give doodley squat but when I was a little kid The Monkees show after school was big. My sister was a big fan and this show was her favorite and she got the TV when it was on. I missed the cartoons more but me and my brother were younger so we watched. I learned to appreciate and enjoy later and Peter Tork was really probably the most talented of the bunch. Mr Tork battled rare form of tongue cancer for ten years finally succumbing to it.

"Hey Hey for the Monkees" RIP Mr Tork!

http://www.nndb.com/people/388/000024316/petertork02.jpg
[IMG]https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-pop-music-disco-music-and-heavy-metal-music-is-about-shutting-out-the-tensions-of-life-peter-tork-29-58-75.jpg[IMG/]

TLO
02-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Somebody check on Baby Lee

WhawhaWhat
02-21-2019, 11:08 AM
I hadn't heard of tongue cancer before. That sounds awful.

Randallflagg
02-21-2019, 11:08 AM
Damn...Folks my age are dropping like flies....as they should, I guess. RIP man...I would (honestly) say that Michael Nesmith was the more talented guy in the "band" - but that's me..

"Hey, Hey We're the Monkees!"

Eleazar
02-21-2019, 11:10 AM
All flags at half-staff today, I take it?

Baby Lee
02-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Somebody check on Baby Lee

Here's an idea, go fuck yourself.

Amnorix
02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
That sucks. Loved the Monkees back in the day (though I only saw it on reruns -- not quite old enough to see it live).

srvy
02-21-2019, 11:28 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tZ9FzcBU6i0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
02-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Not a Monkees fan but I have a lot of respect for what they did across multiple media.

RIP Mr. Tork.

InChiefsHeaven
02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
Yes, the Monkees were a fake band, but I grew up on them and they were great. Tork was actually quite a musician as was Nesbit.

TLO
02-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Here's an idea, go **** yourself.

I'll take that into consideration! Thank you.

Rain Man
02-21-2019, 11:53 AM
I just bought a Monkees album for my ipod last month. They had some good songs.

Their show was weird, but creative. I remember a line from a show once that really made me laugh. They were in some haunted house or something, and a woman screamed off camera.

One of them said, "What was that?" and another one replied, "I think it was a C sharp."

Because they were musicians. Get it? Musicians.

Mennonite
02-21-2019, 12:06 PM
R.I.P.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SZU1F7ExTvU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_N9Lkpt6SrY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So long, and thanks for the head!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WCOGytkEowc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Useless trivia: this song took its title from a Monkees song:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qFqov8a9iL4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gblowfish
02-21-2019, 12:06 PM
They were called "The PreFab Four" which was unfair, because the guys were actually quite accomplished musicians. Article in Variety on Peter Tork:
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/peter-tork-the-monkees-dies-dead-1203144914/

Mennonite
02-21-2019, 12:13 PM
They were called "The PreFab Four" which was unfair, because the guys were actually quite accomplished musicians. Article in Variety on Peter Tork:
https://variety.com/2019/music/news/peter-tork-the-monkees-dies-dead-1203144914/

https://i.imgur.com/qDOPovV.jpg

alpha_omega
02-21-2019, 12:19 PM
RIP sir.

Never cared that much for them, but would watch it from time to time when Uncle Ed had it on his show.

seclark
02-21-2019, 12:31 PM
rip
sec

threebag
02-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Here's an idea, go **** yourself.

He is probably going to have to take a break from looking at old threads to needlessly bump or some other cute parody shit he does... here’s hoping that going to **** himself is on his list of things to do.

RIP

I use to love watching the Monkeys

Dayze
02-21-2019, 12:39 PM
I remember watching The Monkeys, then at some point during that same time of day / block of time, another awesome show I loved as a kid "Lancelot Link - Secret Chimp" would come on.

years later as a teen, my friends and I would watch lancelot Link while under the influence and laugh ourselves to tears.

htismaqe
02-21-2019, 12:41 PM
I remember watching The Monkeys, then at some point during that same time of day / block of time, another awesome show I loved as a kid "Lancelot Link - Secret Chimp" would come on.

years later as a teen, my friends and I would watch lancelot Link while under the influence and laugh ourselves to tears.

Freaking Lancelot Link was awesome!

fan4ever
02-21-2019, 01:06 PM
Last Train to Clarksville...She...A little bit me, a little bit you...I'm a believer...really good songs for the day.

DeepPurple
02-21-2019, 01:15 PM
Monkees were on when I was in high school. This was before MNF, I can remember like yesterday talking to a friend in the yard and saying, I've got to go now my shows are coming on. Monday night, first was the Monkees, then Laugh In and then Man From Uncle.

InChiefsHeaven
02-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Train to Clarksville...She...A little bit me, a little bit you...I'm a believer...really good songs for the day.

VALLERI...killer guitar intro...

Rasputin
02-21-2019, 01:43 PM
RIP.

Randallflagg
02-21-2019, 04:51 PM
As I remember, from back then, Mike Nesmith was the only "musician" in the "band" - he played guitar. Mickey Dolenz leaned to play the drums - and that was about it.

Their songs were all written by guys like Neil Diamond, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart (60s icons) and guys like that.

Hammock Parties
02-21-2019, 04:57 PM
this dude's teeth, damn

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9e9tOU0AEZtrP.jpg

Johnny Vegas
02-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Here's an idea, go fuck yourself.

Oh he’s just monkeeing around

TEX
02-21-2019, 05:16 PM
RIP Pete...

Anyone remember the time Davy Jones was on the Brady Bunch?

ChiTown
02-21-2019, 05:20 PM
RIP Pete...

Anyone remember the time Davy Jones was on the Brady Bunch?

Attempting to get down Jan's pants.....can you blame him?

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Entertainment/ht_davy_jones_brady_bunch_nt_120302_wblog.jpg

TEX
02-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Attempting to get down Jan's pants.....can you blame him?

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Entertainment/ht_davy_jones_brady_bunch_nt_120302_wblog.jpg

Close - It was Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Good times. The Monkees are as Americana as Vanilla Cokes and Drive-In movies. I can't think of one single song of theirs that I don't like.

RIP.

ChiTown
02-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Close - It was Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

Sorry, yes, Marsha.

RealSNR
02-21-2019, 06:00 PM
I remember watching their movie "Head" when I was a teenager because my sister had rented it from Blockbuster. Weird weird fucking movie.

eDave
02-21-2019, 06:01 PM

If I remember right, only one of them could play an instrument when they started out. They all learned.

stevieray
02-21-2019, 06:14 PM
RIP

Loved the Monkees TV show as a kid.

IIRC, Nesmith is one of the people responsible for MTV.

02-21-2019, 06:32 PM
I hadn't heard of tongue cancer before. That sounds awful.

Eddie Van Halen had that. He got it treated though.

srvy
02-21-2019, 07:02 PM
As I remember, from back then, Mike Nesmith was the only "musician" in the "band" - he played guitar. Mickey Dolenz leaned to play the drums - and that was about it.

Their songs were all written by guys like Neil Diamond, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart (60s icons) and guys like that.

You probably need to read a little more about the Monkees and Peter Tork who was actually a pretty accomplished musician. With roots in blues and folk music before being recommended by Stephen Stills for the TV show after Don Kirshner didn't like Stills teeth on camera for the part. The contract they signed for the 1st 2 years required session musicians to play the instruments for the show. Carol King was hired to write most the songs for the show. At the end of of the 2 year contract the Monkees gained control of musicianship and Tork and Nesmith began writing many of their songs. Tork was the most proficient playing guitar bass harpsichord organ banjo and steel guitar.

stumppy
02-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Seen this and told my grandkids he'd died. Their response....'so....wth is that?'. So i tell them the basic story, in a band, killer Saturday morning show called The monkeys. I then pull up a youtube of one of the old episoces while hyping how great it was. Uh...yea...no, just....not....funny. 5 mins into it I'm trying to explain why it's funny, then just closed it.
Lost a lot of street cred with the little brats.ROFL

eDave
02-21-2019, 07:15 PM
You probably need to read a little more about the Monkees and Peter Tork who was actually a pretty accomplished musician. With roots in blues and folk music before being recommended by Stephen Stills for the TV show after Don Kirshner didn't like Stills teeth on camera for the part. The contract they signed for the 1st 2 years required session musicians to play the instruments for the show. Carol King was hired to write most the songs for the show. At the end of of the 2 year contract the Monkees gained control of musicianship and Tork and Nesmith began writing many of their songs. Tork was the most proficient playing guitar bass harpsichord organ banjo and steel guitar.

OK. Thanks for being a dick about it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2019, 07:16 PM
Seen this and told my grandkids he'd died. Their response....'so....wth is that?'. So i tell them the basic story, in a band, killer Saturday morning show called The monkeys. I then pull up a youtube of one of the old episoces while hyping how great it was. Uh...yea...no, just....not....funny. 5 mins into it I'm trying to explain why it's funny, then just closed it.

LMAO

At least you tried.

srvy
02-21-2019, 07:51 PM
OK. Thanks for being a dick about it.

Wasn't intended to be nor was it directed to you I just read your post that was similar to Randallflaggs. Just giving some facts that were being skewed here. Like many in music in that period they got screwed by producers into contracts that limited what they could do musically. It was more about the TV show than the music. Blowfish posted the article that went into a lot of this they weren't Milli Vanilli just young and foolish.

It was really pretty mild I can be a much bigger dick than that.

TLO
02-21-2019, 08:06 PM
He is probably going to have to take a break from looking at old threads to needlessly bump or some other cute parody shit he does... here’s hoping that going to **** himself is on his list of things to do.

RIP

I use to love watching the Monkeys

Nobody gives a single fuck what you have to say. You're worse than Nickhead or cooper_barrett

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Wasn't intended to be nor was it directed to you I just read your post that was similar to Randallflaggs. Just giving some facts that were being skewed here. Like many in music in that period they got screwed by producers into contracts that limited what they could do musically. It was more about the TV show than the music. Blowfish posted the article that went into a lot of this they weren't Milli Vanilli just young and foolish.

I didn't read your response as "dickish", FWIW.

eDave
02-21-2019, 08:12 PM

Ok man. Thanks.

KChiefs1
02-21-2019, 08:20 PM
Watched them as a kid. Always loved their slapstick comedy & even their music.

RIP Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanm
02-21-2019, 08:35 PM
That sucks. Loved the Monkees back in the day (though I only saw it on reruns -- not quite old enough to see it live).I am old enough to have seen it in it's orginal run. Remember it was Fridays nights at 7 on NBC. Thought their wagon was cool as shit.

alanm
02-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Monkees were on when I was in high school. This was before MNF, I can remember like yesterday talking to a friend in the yard and saying, I've got to go now my shows are coming on. Monday night, first was the Monkees, then Laugh In and then Man From Uncle.Could have swore Monkees were on Friday's but I could be wrong. Remember always watching Laugh In. But that was before MNF. MNF killed laugh in.

Randallflagg
02-21-2019, 08:48 PM

Hey! All I know is that I was around back then and remember the stories about the "band". Other than that - I have no idea. I liked the show - it was funny. But the episodes I remember - Nesmith looked like he knew his way around a guitar while the rest looked lost..I mean, really lost. Maybe that was by design, hell I don't know.

Randallflagg
02-21-2019, 08:49 PM
I am old enough to have seen it in it's orginal run. Remember it was Fridays nights at 7 on NBC. Thought their wagon was cool as shit.

Yep....although I honestly don't remember the night it was on...But I did see the original series...

srvy
02-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Hey! All I know is that I was around back then and remember the stories about the "band". Other than that - I have no idea. I liked the show - it was funny. But the episodes I remember - Nesmith looked like he knew his way around a guitar while the rest looked lost..I mean, really lost. Maybe that was by design, hell I don't know.

They weren't plugged in lol Kirshner wouldnt let them play for 2 years :D

farmerchief
02-21-2019, 09:13 PM
He took " The last train to Clarksville". RIP

1claire
02-21-2019, 09:32 PM
His memories will live on through his music.

srvy
02-21-2019, 09:41 PM
They did the singing, voice is also an instrument. The TV series lasted 1966 to 68 I believe Kirshner recorded there voices in studio heavily edited it then had them lip sync and fake the instruments for the tv show. Never saw them in a concert I believe my sister wanted to go but Dad put the hammer down.

RedRaider56
02-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Watched the show as a kid. Enjoyed the heck out of it. My dad hated it, but he let us kids watch it. Loved the car. Seemed like all the shows back in the day had some cool hot rod for the the show's characters to drive around in

RedRaider56
02-21-2019, 10:02 PM
They did the singing, voice is also an instrument. The TV series lasted 1966 to 68 I believe Kirshner recorded there voices in studio heavily edited it then had them lip sync and fake the instruments for the tv show. Never saw them in a concert I believe my sister wanted to go but Dad put the hammer down.

Saw them in concert in the mid 90's after a Texas Rangers game. Was a pretty decent show. No complaints here

BigRedChief
02-21-2019, 10:37 PM
I watched reruns of their show as a kid. It was fun, welll at least that’s how I remember the show.

DeepPurple
02-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Could have swore Monkees were on Friday's but I could be wrong. Remember always watching Laugh In. But that was before MNF. MNF killed laugh in.

Friday nights you're probably remember a show from a few years later, "In Concert" ran from '72 to '75. I can remember the first one of them, Seals & Crofts opening for Alice Cooper.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1LAzfadBB3Y/TaHLWypZTbI/AAAAAAAABWo/NUoesVtbm4w/s1600/tv-abcinconcert.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Concert_(TV_series)

ROYC75
02-22-2019, 10:35 PM
I am old enough to have seen it in it's orginal run. Remember it was Fridays nights at 7 on NBC. Thought their wagon was cool as shit.

No shit, a bad ass GTO!

Monkey God
02-23-2019, 04:48 PM
Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees back in 1967.

suzzer99
02-24-2019, 04:19 AM
So like if the bassist from Grand Funk Railroad dies - is it a thread?

Baby Lee
02-24-2019, 08:05 AM

In the off chance that happens one day, what consequences do you demand, Buttercup?

Rain Man
02-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Peter Tork is a big name from my childhood. Not Bob Denver big or Don Adams big, but still big.

Randallflagg
02-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Hell yes! Mel Sacher was/is a fine bassist.......... definitely deserving of his own thread. :thumb:

Randallflagg
02-24-2019, 08:30 AM
Peter Tork is a big name from my childhood. Not Bob Denver big or Don Adams big, but still big.

"Would you believe........." :clap:

patteeu
02-24-2019, 08:48 AM

You’re probably too young to appreciate the Monkeys. Personally, the Partridge Family were more my childhood jam, but I was a fan of the Monkeys TV show too.

threebag
02-24-2019, 09:37 AM
You’re probably too young to appreciate the Monkeys. Personally, the Partridge Family were more my childhood jam, but I was a fan of the Monkeys TV show too.

My condolences

Rain Man
02-24-2019, 09:40 AM
"Would you believe........." :clap:

"Missed it by ... that much."

I haven't seen that show in eons. I wonder if it aged well and/or if it would appeal to my sense of humor now.

Baby Lee
02-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Heard some morning zoo talking head types make an interesting point, that Partridges ruined shit for the rest of the quasi-talented TV bands.

Until PF came along, people were kind of agnostic about whether Monkees were legit or artifice. But when PF was up there clearly lip-synching and not even trying to play their instruments, all music/entertainment hybrids got increased suspicion.

patteeu
02-24-2019, 09:46 AM
My condolences

Shirley Jones and Susan Dey were both better looking than any of the Monkeys and the Danny's antics were more entertaining as far as I'm concerned. That on top of the fantasy of being in a band as a kid instead of school were big factors.

patteeu
02-24-2019, 09:49 AM
Heard some morning zoo talking head types make an interesting point, that Partridges ruined shit for the rest of the quasi-talented TV bands.

Until PF came along, people were kind of agnostic about whether Monkees were legit or artifice. But when PF was up there clearly lip-synching and not even trying to play their instruments, all music/entertainment hybrids got increased suspicion.

Interesting. That type of snooty (i.e. grownup) criticism was beyond my 8 year old awareness, I guess. :)

patteeu
02-24-2019, 09:50 AM
"Missed it by ... that much."

I haven't seen that show in eons. I wonder if it aged well and/or if it would appeal to my sense of humor now.

I loved that show, but when I watched a couple episodes a few years ago it didn't seem to age very well.

Baby Lee
02-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Interesting. That type of snooty (i.e. grownup) criticism was beyond my 8 year old awareness, I guess. :)

I have no insight. I don't think I have seen more than 30 seconds at a time or so of PF in a retrospective special or something. I recognize the markers, the cast, the songs, the bus, the laugh track, but I've never seen an entire episode.

There was a month or so when the dorm floor got into watching The Monkees in syndication [back then the dorm wasn't wired for cable, so it was OTA broadcast in your room, or cable in the common area]. Caught a handful of episodes then [89-90-ish] but that's it. What I remember was better than I expected, and by better I mostly mean funnier.

Rain Man
02-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Shirley Jones and Susan Dey were both better looking than any of the Monkeys and the Danny's antics were more entertaining as far as I'm concerned. That on top of the fantasy of being in a band as a kid instead of school were big factors.

I never had the band fantasy, but I thought the Partridge Family was clearly the better show. It had Susan Dey, better plots, Susan Dey, better characters, and Susan Dey.

I swear I watched one episode where the group was trying to solve some problem with a guy, and the show went to a commercial break. When it came back, the scene immediately cut in with Keith Partridge saying something to Danny like, "That would never work. They'd find his body within a day."

You never saw The Brady Bunch say something like that.

There was another throwaway line in that show that stayed with me. They were out in the wilderness for some reason (I think the cool-looking bus had broken down or something), and Reuben Kincaid told them he could start a fire because he'd done it all the time in the army. So they dutifully gathered wood and brush. Reuben then looked at it and said, "Okay, now who's got a flame thrower?"

Again, you never saw that on the Brady Bunch.

The Brady Bunch pretty much only offered Marsha and Carol Brady. That was formidable, but in the end you have to go with The Partridge Family, Susan Dey, and better writing.

Rain Man
02-24-2019, 10:01 AM
I loved that show, but when I watched a couple episodes a few years ago it didn't seem to age very well.

I was kind of afraid of that. Was it more that times changed, or is it just that we're not 8 years old any more?

patteeu
02-24-2019, 10:03 AM
I have no insight. I don't think I have seen more than 30 seconds at a time or so of PF in a retrospective special or something. I recognize the markers, the cast, the songs, the bus, the laugh track, but I've never seen an entire episode.

There was a month or so when the dorm floor got into watching The Monkees in syndication [back then the dorm wasn't wired for cable, so it was OTA broadcast in your room, or cable in the common area]. Caught a handful of episodes then [89-90-ish] but that's it.

Your comment about lip syncing reminded me of something I heard the other day in a podcast about old time country music called Cocaine and Rhinestones (that I recommend) about Buck Owens. Owens started a TV show in the 60s, kind of a pre-curser to Hee Haw, in which all of the music was played live including the theme music at the beginning of every show. I guess by the time Hee Haw came around they learned to pre-record the instrumental tracks and sing over the top of them or something, but that first show was all live TV.

patteeu
02-24-2019, 10:03 AM
I was kind of afraid of that. Was it more that times changed, or is it just that we're not 8 years old any more?

I think it's the latter.

patteeu
02-24-2019, 10:07 AM
I never had the band fantasy, but I thought the Partridge Family was clearly the better show. It had Susan Dey, better plots, Susan Dey, better characters, and Susan Dey.

I swear I watched one episode where the group was trying to solve some problem with a guy, and the show went to a commercial break. When it came back, the scene immediately cut in with Keith Partridge saying something to Danny like, "That would never work. They'd find his body within a day."

You never saw The Brady Bunch say something like that.

There was another throwaway line in that show that stayed with me. They were out in the wilderness for some reason (I think the cool-looking bus had broken down or something), and Reuben Kincaid told them he could start a fire because he'd done it all the time in the army. So they dutifully gathered wood and brush. Reuben then looked at it and said, "Okay, now who's got a flame thrower?"

Again, you never saw that on the Brady Bunch.

The Brady Bunch pretty much only offered Marsha and Carol Brady. That was formidable, but in the end you have to go with The Partridge Family, Susan Dey, and better writing.

I'm with you on all of this. I think David Cassidy's TV girlfriends were generally hotter than Greg Brady's too.

DeepPurple
02-24-2019, 10:35 AM

Obviously music from '64 to '74 wasn't your repertoire. I was in the 8th grade when JFK was assassinated. The whole country was in a funk, similar to way things were following 9/11. Then about 3 months later in February 1964 a band from Britain appeared on the Sunday Show, Ed Sullivan. This is when there was only 3 channels on TV, so a top rated show reached large audiences back then and Ed Sullivan Show was the biggest thing to come along.

Following that night my favorite radio channel, WFSO the Big 57 in St. Petersburg Florida became the Beatles channel, it was just about that's all they played. At school that's all everyone talked about, the Beatles. A few years went by and each week it seemed another British band was on Ed's show, the Stones came next, Dave Clark 5 was one of m favorites. After awhile, it became known as the British Invasion.

I began to think, why isn't there any good American bands. Then when I was in the 10th I saw a group on Ed Sullivan called The Doors. I immediately bought their first album. Then a year or so later, I heard a song that blew me away, it was Vanilla Fudge "You Keep Me Hanging On", it turned out a few months later they were my first concert as they came and played at the local Armory.

I bought my new car in '69 and the accessory I added was an 8 Track player with rear speakers. The first 8 track I bought was Creedence Clearwater first album. The next record album I bought was Grand Funk Railroad "On Time'. I had a stereo in my room that was a Christmas gift, and I wore that GFR album out. The first 5 albums, to me anyway, were some of the best music I had ever heard. They eventually faded in the 70's like so many bands and I became interested in groups like Deep Purple and Jethro Tull, who I got to see both in 1972.

Grand Funk with the original 3 members, Mark Don & Mel reformed in 1997 and toured for two years. I got to see them in July 1998, fantastic show. Unfortunately Don (the drummer) got Mark (the lead singer and guitarist) to sign some papers he didn't read, he considered Don a friend. He signed away rights to the name Grand Funk Railroad to Don. From then on, Mark Farner had continued playing all over the country as a solo act and cannot use the band's name. Don & bassist Mel use the name Grand Funk Railroad everytime they appear and in place of Mark they've added 3 new members, even though the voice and guitarist of the original hits is not in their band.

If Mel the bassist dies, I'll remember him for what he did in the beginning but not what he did in the 90's taking the rights to the name and closing the door on Mark. They didn't like Mark, because he was a born again Christian who didn't use drugs. Mel, he liked his pot sometimes, and that's the story of Grand Funk Railroad.

That's Mark Farner on the left

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOh3GBAU-W73qWA_W7e9c_Hnr9JH8nEzXZkiYoipnZ_ZZISu0D

The current Grand Funk Railroad, Don & Mel in the middle with Max Carl between them. You may remember him if you're a 38 Special fan. He replaced Don Barnes in the late 80's when he tried going solo. Max Carl sang one hit for that band, "Second Chance", that's why it doesn't sound like Don Barnes. Now he's in Grand Funk replacing a legend, Mark Farner.

http://www.chroniclet.com/image/2018/04/13/x600_q65/Grand-Funk-Railroad.PNG

The Real Deal - Mark Farner 70 years old still playing a couple of hundred shows a year, if he comes your way, go see him.

http://tomorrowsverse.com/upload//FARNER/Mark_Farner_Philamonjaro_4132.jpg

Randallflagg
02-24-2019, 11:04 AM

Indeed. I've seen several shows (reruns) over the years that, at the time, seemed like the best thing since sliced white bread - but on reflection just seems "old".... ROFL

But I can still piss myself watching Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett show -

But remember - back then we had 3 (count 'em) 3 channels. ABC, NBC, and CBS...

Well, at that one station on the UHF dial that never really came in that well...... :thumb:

Mennonite
02-24-2019, 11:16 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vPdKSlQOBYE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suzzer99
02-24-2019, 11:43 AM
GFR was indeed a little before my time. But I grew up listening to 101 The Fox, so I'm aware of the hits.

I was just making a comment that if we make a thread for every rocker in every band, that would be a lot of threads. But I have been convinced it would be fine and my snarkiness was unwarranted.

adalah
02-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Not a Monkees fan but I have a lot of respect...RIP

Randallflagg
02-24-2019, 11:53 AM
Obviously music from '64 to '74 wasn't your repertoire. I was in the 8th grade when JFK was assassinated. The whole country was in a funk, similar to way things were following 9/11. Then about 3 months later in February 1964 a band from Britain appeared on the Sunday Show, Ed Sullivan. This is when there was only 3 channels on TV, so a top rated show reached large audiences back then and Ed Sullivan Show was the biggest thing to come along.

Following that night my favorite radio channel, WFSO the Big 57 in St. Petersburg Florida became the Beatles channel, it was just about that's all they played. At school that's all everyone talked about, the Beatles. A few years went by and each week it seemed another British band was on Ed's show, the Stones came next, Dave Clark 5 was one of m favorites. After awhile, it became known as the British Invasion.

I began to think, why isn't there any good American bands. Then when I was in the 10th I saw a group on Ed Sullivan called The Doors. I immediately bought their first album. Then a year or so later, I heard a song that blew me away, it was Vanilla Fudge "You Keep Me Hanging On", it turned out a few months later they were my first concert as they came and played at the local Armory.

I bought my new car in '69 and the accessory I added was an 8 Track player with rear speakers. The first 8 track I bought was Creedence Clearwater first album. The next record album I bought was Grand Funk Railroad "On Time'. I had a stereo in my room that was a Christmas gift, and I wore that GFR album out. The first 5 albums, to me anyway, were some of the best music I had ever heard. They eventually faded in the 70's like so many bands and I became interested in groups like Deep Purple and Jethro Tull, who I got to see both in 1972.

Grand Funk with the original 3 members, Mark Don & Mel reformed in 1997 and toured for two years. I got to see them in July 1998, fantastic show. Unfortunately Don (the drummer) got Mark (the lead singer and guitarist) to sign some papers he didn't read, he considered Don a friend. He signed away rights to the name Grand Funk Railroad to Don. From then on, Mark Farner had continued playing all over the country as a solo act and cannot use the band's name. Don & bassist Mel use the name Grand Funk Railroad everytime they appear and in place of Mark they've added 3 new members, even though the voice and guitarist of the original hits is not in their band.

If Mel the bassist dies, I'll remember him for what he did in the beginning but not what he did in the 90's taking the rights to the name and closing the door on Mark. They didn't like Mark, because he was a born again Christian who didn't use drugs. Mel, he liked his pot sometimes, and that's the story of Grand Funk Railroad.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOh3GBAU-W73qWA_W7e9c_Hnr9JH8nEzXZkiYoipnZ_ZZISu0D

The current Grand Funk Railroad, Don & Mel in the middle with Max Carl between them. You may remember him if you're a 38 Special fan. He replaced Don Barnes in the late 80's when he tried going solo. Max Carl sang one hit for that band, "Second Chance", that's why it doesn't sound like Don Barnes. Now he's in Grand Funk replacing a legend, Mark Farner.

The Real Deal - Mark Farner 70 years old still playing a couple of hundred shows a year, if he comes your way, go see him.

I'm thinking that you and I are Brothers from another Mother........ ;)

DeepPurple
02-24-2019, 12:40 PM
GFR was indeed a little before my time. But I grew up listening to 101 The Fox, so I'm aware of the hits.

I was just making a comment that if we make a thread for every rocker in every band, that would be a lot of threads. But I have been convinced it would be fine and my snarkiness was unwarranted.

No problem, having been a GFR fan all these years, I thought the story of Mel and Don and their treatment of Mark should be told. I use to have a mail order and online CD business in the 90's and 2000's. I bought a lot of solo Mark Farner CD's from the guy that ran his website and CD sales. Back then I was mentioning about the show in '98 that I saw and I wasn't wondering why they had broke up again. He told me whole story.

That band has a lot of hard luck. Their original manager producer Terry Knight screwed them on their original contract, like most managers did back then. When they fired him after the fifth album, he actually got a court order and confiscated all their equipment and they couldn't play live for over a year at their peak.

Oddly, Terry Knight might of been a terrible manager, but he was a great producer. The first five albums I consider masterpieces, and he produced them all. After he was fired, they brought in Todd Rundgren to produce. Strange as this may sound, they got their biggest hit and signature song from that album "Were an American Band", however for me, it was my end of buying their records. I considered it too mainstream and a sellout. That's what happens with fans. This is the kind of music of theirs I loved, listed to at least the first minute.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JOxrpMOindc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dilligaf
02-24-2019, 03:53 PM

A few years back I did this with my son about Caddyshack...yeah, he didnt get it.

Rain Man
02-24-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm with you on all of this. I think David Cassidy's TV girlfriends were generally hotter than Greg Brady's too.

The only area where I waver is the classic Marsha Brady versus Lori Partridge debate. (And of course, the over 18 versions is the topic here.) Both bring very distinct advantages.

srvy
02-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Indeed. I've seen several shows (reruns) over the years that, at the time, seemed like the best thing since sliced white bread - but on reflection just seems "old".... ROFL

But I can still piss myself watching Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett show -

But remember - back then we had 3 (count 'em) 3 channels. ABC, NBC, and CBS...

Well, at that one station on the UHF dial that never really came in that well...... :thumb:

Yep channel 50 I believe back in those days the Bell and Howell had a prefered rabbit ear configuration for each channel. You actually got up and turned the channel then fine tuned dialed it in. Dad put an antenna in the attic one year finally and if the conditions were just right I could pull in St Joe and watch the chiefs at home though it was mostly just snow and hard to distinguish who was who. The next year Dad got me into the Chiefs Huddle Club. So me and my cousin Danny could go to the game set in special bleacher section at Municipal Stadium till he broke down and got a third season ticket. Those were the days.

The Buck Owens Show was on like 1966 my Dad would watch that and me and my brother would roll our eyes and laugh. Later when Country Rock became popular I started taking notice of Buck Owens and the Buckaroos along with Hee Haw was one innovative dude really.

Embed Video
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lg6x8fG2aIc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

threebag
02-24-2019, 06:14 PM
A few years back I did this with my son about Caddyshack...yeah, he didnt get it.

Oh shit, I thought about doing this last weekend

Dinny Bossa Nova
02-24-2019, 07:14 PM

This is an OUTSTANDING post!!!!

Double Mother Fuck Don Brewer and at least mother fuck Schacher for going along.

Dinny