PDA

View Full Version : Texas ILB Gary Johnson

ntexascardfan
02-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Will be an interesting follow at the combine next week.

Read some buzz today that his forty time has been in the upper 4.3 lower 4.4's as he preps for the combine.

Chief Northman
02-22-2019, 12:25 PM
I love this player. Savvy and relentless. Projecting round 4/5 at this point. Great leader and his instincts are off the charts.

ntexascardfan
02-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Omenihu gets all the love because of his measurables, but Gary Johnson was the highest graded player on the Texas defense by a pretty good margin this season.

Chief Northman
02-22-2019, 12:54 PM
I’d be really happy if KC were to draft Johnson. He could at worst be depth at Will/MLB and be a great special teams player. He is an effective blitzer and is great in sideline pursuit.

DJ's left nut
02-22-2019, 01:04 PM
I’d be really happy if KC were to draft Johnson. He could at worst be depth at Will/MLB and be a great special teams player. He is an effective blitzer and is great in sideline pursuit.

Doesn't seem like he's strong enough to hold up in the middle, does it? Seems like a guy that could maybe challenge DoD for the Will and be worth a shot in the 5th but I'm not sure you want him in the middle.

I'll defer to those that have seen a lot more of him than I have.

ntexascardfan
02-22-2019, 01:11 PM
He doesn't have the prototypical size you'd want out of someone you'd want in the middle.

As he progressed through his last season he got a lot better at shedding blocks, but that'd be an issue for him in the NFL.

I like him as someone who could come in and push DoD. I also like the idea of someone with his speed on the field in obvious pass rush situations. With his speed he was a master at shooting gaps and getting in the backfield quickly. I could see him excelling being lined up behind Ford + Jones and getting to shoot gaps to get to the backfield.

Here's a video of just what I'm talking about.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1098254940122873857

Chief Northman
02-22-2019, 01:12 PM
Doesn't seem like he's strong enough to hold up in the middle, does it? Seems like a guy that could maybe challenge DoD for the Will and be worth a shot in the 5th but I'm not sure you want him in the middle.

I'll defer to those that have seen a lot more of him than I have.

He’s a Will for sure, but over time if he adds some size/weight, he could be an athletic 4-3 middle. Not a thumper by any means.

Chris Meck
02-22-2019, 01:24 PM
remember too, modern 4-3 'backers are lighter than they were a generation ago. Spagnuolo's run them in the 230 range a lot.

DJ's left nut
02-22-2019, 01:38 PM
remember too, modern 4-3 'backers are lighter than they were a generation ago. Spagnuolo's run them in the 230 range a lot.

I think 235-240 is plenty adequate. Especially if they're built the right way.

230 may be a little on the light side but it kinda depends. What I see as the issue with Johnson isn't exactly his raw weight but rather that he's what I would call a 'high cut' athlete - his weight isn't that low center of gravity, 'sturdy' weight that holds up at the point of contact.

Again - I'm out of my depth with the guy a little bit and if others that see him more than I do disagree with me, I'll defer there. But his combination of build/mass seems destined to lock him into the Will and/or STs.

Though if DoD went in the 3rd with similar athleticism while being probably 15-20 lbs lighter and having instincts questions, it seems odd to me that a guy who appears to be just as athletic, stronger and with a better head on his shoulders would fall to the 5th.

Any reason there or is this just a thing where draft experts aren't on him yet and by draft day he'll probably go in the middle of the 3rd and people will be surprised?

ntexascardfan
02-22-2019, 03:46 PM
I think if he tests like I think he will at the combine he'll start getting attention. His size is similar to Shaquem Griffin, but I think he plays faster. Shaquem ran a 4.38 at the combine, but was in the 4.5's at his pro day.

Johnson ran a sub 10.6 100 w/o blocks in track...so his speed is legit.

I think he's already more instinctual than DoD and could give us some more flexibility in passing situations and be a boss for us on special teams.

I think he'll end up being a 4-6th round guy.