PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The one that got away...?

Couch-Potato
02-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Who's the one player in the league, not currently on the Chiefs, that you've always thought would've looked better in Red?

For me, that guy is Luke Kuechly.

Dude is a straight impact player, and was drafted just 2 slots above Donatari Poe. Sure we had Derrick Johnson, but in a vacuum I love the idea of Kuechly leading our Chiefs defense.

Who's the one that got away...?

New World Order
02-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Aaron Rodgers

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 08:51 AM
I love the idea of Kuechly leading our Chiefs defense.

Leading with his head...

jjchieffan
02-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Up until a couple of years ago, it was D. Carr. But now it's clear that I was wrong on that one. I really wish that we could have gotten Derwin James last year. But without a first round pick, we had no shot. It really sucks that he went to the Chargers and now we have to face him twice a year. He is bad ass.

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Up until a couple of years ago, it was D. Carr. But now it's clear that I was wrong on that one. I really wish that we could have gotten Derwin James last year. But without a first round pick, we had no shot. It really sucks that he went to the Chargers and now we have to face him twice a year. He is bad ass.

That first rounder was used to get #15. If Derwin James is "bad ass", what is Patrick Mahomes? :D

jjchieffan
02-26-2019, 09:00 AM
That first rounder was used to get #15. If Derwin James is "bad ass", what is Patrick Mahomes? :D

Oh I agree. I'm glad that we have Mahomes. Don't get me wrong. I have zero regrets about losing that pick for him. I just am saying that I would love to have had James and Mahomes. It just wasn't possible.

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 09:02 AM
By the way, can somebody edit the title of this thread?

"The one that GO away" is an entirely different list. Like Steven Nelson and Eric Berry are on that list.

TLO
02-26-2019, 09:05 AM
The one that go away

patteeu
02-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Jeff George instead of Elvis Grbac.

Couch-Potato
02-26-2019, 09:10 AM
By the way, can somebody edit the title of this thread?

"The one that GO away" is an entirely different list. Like Steven Nelson and Eric Berry are on that list.

sorry its early out here on west coast, tried editing and made a second thread on accident. ROFL

My work here is done.

Flying High D
02-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Dan Marino

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 09:22 AM
sorry its early out here on west coast, tried editing and made a second thread on accident. ROFL

My work here is done.

I'll see if one of the mods can fix it for us. :D

ChiefGator
02-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Mark Sanchez, according to CP

Just go look at the history in the drafting forum.. there are some good ones that we really, really should have drafted like Sanchez. Mostly they were crappy QB's honestly.

jjchieffan
02-26-2019, 09:44 AM

Just go look at the history in the drafting forum.. there are some good ones that we really, really should have drafted like Sanchez. Mostly they were crappy QB's honestly.

Yeah. There were a few. Sanchez, Geno Smith, Brady Quinn, Derek Carr, to start. But I can't blame anyone for that. We were all desperate for our own homegrown franchise quarterback.

Direckshun
02-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Emmanuel Sanders.

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 09:48 AM

That's what happens when your team doesn't draft a QB in the 1st round in 30+ years. Don't act like it's the fans' fault.

smithandrew051
02-26-2019, 10:04 AM
I wanted to draft the Honey Badger badly.

I also wanted to draft Russell Wilson.

Of course, I was also sold on Aaron Maybin.

Halfcan
02-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Dan Marino. Taking Blackledge hurt this team for over a decade. We would have won multiple Super Bowls in the 90's with that Defense.

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Dan Marino. Taking Blackledge hurt this team for over a decade. We would have won multiple Super Bowls in the 90's with that Defense.

I tend to look at things with the butterfly effect in mind.

Had they drafted Marina in 1983, they likely would have been at least decent for a good 10 years.

That means Steadman stays, Carl Peterson never comes and never hires Marty, they don't have those high picks that resulted in guys like Smith and DT. Which means THAT specific defense probably never happens.

The team would have been good, for sure though.

tyton75
02-26-2019, 10:16 AM
I'm still a little bitter that we didn't get Albert Haynesworth or John Henderson over Ryan Sims

SuperBowl4
02-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, and Dan Marino

htismaqe
02-26-2019, 10:27 AM
I'm still a little bitter that we didn't get Albert Haynesworth or John Henderson over Ryan Sims

Henderson turned out okay despite the injury concerns.

Haynesworth had a couple of good years but turned out to be a major head case.

Wasn't a great year for DTs it turns out.

Amnorix
02-26-2019, 10:33 AM
I know how much you guys love Patriots-related stuff, so I figured I'd chime in for my guys.

Jerry Rice. The Patriots traded the 16th pick in 1985 to the Niners so they could take Jerry F'ing Rice. The Patriots, meanwhile, got Trevor Matich (an oft-injured center) and a bunch of guys who were even less impactful.

Ouch.

King_Chief_Fan
02-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Dan Marino over Blackledge

Simply Red
02-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Bashaud Breeland

ChiefsCountry
Not staying true to their draft board in 2001 and taking Drew Brees, instead of trading for Trent Green.

ChiefsCountry

Mark Sanchez plus our second round pick >>>> Matt Cassel and Tyson Jackson

CasselGotPeedOn
02-26-2019, 10:52 AM
Mark Sanchez plus our second round pick >>>> Matt Cassel and Tyson Jackson

Explosive diarrhea>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mark Sanchez plus our second round pick >>>> Matt Cassel and Tyson Jackson

ChiefBlueCFC
02-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Prior to this year I would say Russel Wilson but I don't want him anymore.

displacedinMN
02-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Thread title made me think of old girl friends

big nasty kcnut
02-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Darren sproles!

Ebolapox
02-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Direkshun’s whore mother?

Molitoth
02-26-2019, 11:15 AM
It's funny how some of you still think a players career would end up the same regardless of what team they went to. If Tom Brady ended up in Cleveland, what's his legacy?

You think Mahomes would still be this awesome if he got drafted by some shit organization with a shit head coach and a locker room full of me-first twats?
The Chiefs built a good foundation and eased him into it, (which I think is propelling his stardom).

There have been many players with all-world talent that have been totally wasted by being drafted into shit organizations and thrown to the wolves. (See many Browns draft picks).

sedated
02-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Patrick Mahomes II

/Bills fans

Stryker
02-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Khalil Mack

DJ's left nut
02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
There's a correct answer here.

It's Alvin Kamara. We took !@#$ing Tanoh Kpassagnon instead.

God that one still chaps my ass....

The Franchise
02-26-2019, 11:38 AM

God that one still chaps my ass....

Fucking this.

okiedokieokoye
02-26-2019, 11:48 AM
I remember how devastated I was when we passed on drafting Aaron Curry. He was a "slam dunk generational linebacker". Ha! We went Tyson Jackson. I'd dare to say that Jackson had the more productive of the two terrible careers.

staylor26
02-26-2019, 11:48 AM
I wanted Byron Jones the year we drafted Peters.

DJ's left nut
02-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Fucking this.

Let's not forget that we could've given up a 6th to move up 2 !@#$ing spots and take Zach Cunningham or stayed put and taken JuJu.

And these are all picks that folks were openly discussing in the draft lounge. That's not hindsight shit - these were guys that had major followings here on CP.

I can't get over what a god-awful pick Kpassagnon was.

Was anyone taken in the first 2 rounds who has stayed healthy but been less productive than K-Pass? Ryan Anderson, Rayshawn Jenkins....I think that's it.

I mean there's a strong argument to make that he was the single worst player taken in the first 2 rounds and if you extend it to the 3rd round (to make it the first 2 days) you're really only adding a handful more choices.

Just so bad. So very very bad.

The Franchise
02-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Let's not forget that we could've given up a 6th to move up 2 !@#$ing spots and take Zach Cunningham or stayed put and taken JuJu.

And these are all picks that folks were openly discussing in the draft lounge. That's not hindsight shit - these were guys that had major followings here on CP.

I can't get over what a god-awful pick Kpassagnon was.

Was anyone taken in the first 2 rounds who has stayed healthy but been less productive than K-Pass? Ryan Anderson, Rayshawn Jenkins....I think that's it.

I mean there's a strong argument to make that he was the single worst player taken in the first 2 rounds and if you extend it to the 3rd round (to make it the first 2 days) you're really only adding a handful more choices.

Just so bad. So very very bad.

I think there were around 4 to 5 of us that we're screaming for Kamara the entire 2nd round. Mahomes and Kamara in the 1st two rounds would have been epic. Also could have grabbed Shaquill Griffin with our 3rd rounder to help the defense.

SuperChief
02-26-2019, 12:10 PM
Pat Willis. I really wanted that dude.

DJ's left nut
02-26-2019, 12:13 PM
I think there were around 4 to 5 of us that we're screaming for Kamara the entire 2nd round. Mahomes and Kamara in the 1st two rounds would have been epic. Also could have grabbed Shaquill Griffin with our 3rd rounder to help the defense.

It wasn't until about 3-4 weeks prior to the draft that I'd fully and finally told myself "no, do not take a RB in the 1st even if he's going to be the best one there...."

Obviously the Mahomes trade made that moot anyway but I was just elated watching him fall. I thought the guy would sneak into the back of the 1st after his combine performance. And he just looked electric on tape. He was such a !@#$ing no-brainer and we got too clever by half.

The only thing I can imagine is they were going with Cunningham and when he got taken they just freaked out a bit and went with another defensive player. I just cannot for the life of me convince myself that these people, who I am certain know more about football than I do, thought that Kpassagnon was going to be a better football player than Alvin Kamara.

Nothing about that makes sense. It had to have been strictly an execution error. And that's what I'm going to keep telling myself - they knew better but panicked. I guess that's better than the alternative...

O.city
02-26-2019, 12:18 PM
I don't really see what Kpassagnon really profiles at even if he hits in the 43. Is he a DE I guess?

Ideally he would have developed into what, a Michael Bennett type player?

Deberg_1990
02-26-2019, 12:26 PM
Harvey Williams over Brett Favre

:facepalm:

Fat Elvis
02-26-2019, 12:31 PM
heh.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=9126969&postcount=3314

SuperBowl4
02-26-2019, 12:31 PM
Dan Marino over BlackledgeHow about anyone over TB

Demonpenz
02-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Shaquill would have definately provided a healthy hand.

Angry fan
02-26-2019, 12:40 PM
I know how much you guys love Patriots-related stuff, so I figured I'd chime in for my guys.

Jerry Rice. The Patriots traded the 16th pick in 1985 to the Niners so they could take Jerry F'ing Rice. The Patriots, meanwhile, got Trevor Matich (an oft-injured center) and a bunch of guys who were even less impactful.

Ouch.

Yeah you'd love Jerry Rice wouldn't you. That cheater admitted to using stickum when it was illegal on twitter. Would fit in right with the Patriots, wouldn't they.:titus:

MahiMike
02-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Russell Wilson

The Franchise
02-26-2019, 12:44 PM
Shaquill would have definately provided a healthy hand.

Considering he has two? Yeah....he could have.

ChiefGator
02-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Yeah. There were a few. Sanchez, Geno Smith, Brady Quinn, Derek Carr, to start. But I can't blame anyone for that. We were all desperate for our own homegrown franchise quarterback.

Geno Smith! That is the other recent one I was thinking of.. and I felt like maybe I was imagining Brady Quinn love.. guess not.

saphojunkie
02-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Russell Wilson. Loved him, knew he’d be great. We took Donald Stephenson one pick before.

Fuck you, Pioli.

Also, Aaron Rodgers. Love DJ, but.... yikes.

Pitt Gorilla
02-26-2019, 01:20 PM
Oh I agree. I'm glad that we have Mahomes. Don't get me wrong. I have zero regrets about losing that pick for him. I just am saying that I would love to have had James and Mahomes. It just wasn't possible.
Agree with this. Loved James and still do.

Pitt Gorilla
02-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Geno Smith! That is the other recent one I was thinking of.. and I felt like maybe I was imagining Brady Quinn love.. guess not.The Geno Smith hype was stupid from the get-go. There's some insanely stupid stuff posted here, and outside of Dunning Kruger (Taco John), the Geno Smith love takes the cake.

KChiefs1
02-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Dan Marino is the only correct answer.

Amnorix
02-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Yeah you'd love Jerry Rice wouldn't you. That cheater admitted to using stickum when it was illegal on twitter. Would fit in right with the Patriots, wouldn't they.:titus:

ROFL I had completely forgotten about that.

Yeah, the stickum thing is weird -- they banned it, but now these gloves are ridiculous. Seems pretty inconsistent.

For what it's worth, though, you guys have all had a far better answer than Rice anyway -- Pats also took a QB in 1983 -- Tony Eason, who was worse than Blackledge, and could've had Marino. :shake:

KChiefs1
02-26-2019, 01:37 PM

The only correct answer.

loochy
02-26-2019, 01:55 PM
Luke Joeckel

Couch-Potato
02-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Emmanuel Sanders.

Good one! I guess you can add Earl Thomas to that list.

Steron
02-26-2019, 03:37 PM
Donnie Edwards

loochy
02-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Jason Babin

IowaHawkeyeChief
02-26-2019, 04:21 PM
Marino

lcarus
02-26-2019, 05:25 PM
Darren sproles!

Same! Always wanted him. Hes been solid for a long time.

FlaChief58
02-27-2019, 08:22 AM
Chad Johnson. I loved his good natured antics. The kind of guy I'd like to have a few cold ones with

scho63
02-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Devin McCourty and Mohammed Sanu. I was a big fan of theirs watching them at Rutgers Stadium and hoped we drafted one of them. Kenny Britt and Ray Rice to a lesser extent

tredadda
02-27-2019, 01:37 PM
It wasn't until about 3-4 weeks prior to the draft that I'd fully and finally told myself "no, do not take a RB in the 1st even if he's going to be the best one there...."

Obviously the Mahomes trade made that moot anyway but I was just elated watching him fall. I thought the guy would sneak into the back of the 1st after his combine performance. And he just looked electric on tape. He was such a !@#$ing no-brainer and we got too clever by half.

The only thing I can imagine is they were going with Cunningham and when he got taken they just freaked out a bit and went with another defensive player. I just cannot for the life of me convince myself that these people, who I am certain know more about football than I do, thought that Kpassagnon was going to be a better football player than Alvin Kamara.

Nothing about that makes sense. It had to have been strictly an execution error. And that's what I'm going to keep telling myself - they knew better but panicked. I guess that's better than the alternative...

Could they have passed on Kamara because they wanted to go defense with the plan of taking Hunt?

WhiteWhale
02-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Aaron Rodgers

I'm much happier with the QB we have. He's like an Aaron Rodgers who's not hated by his team-mates, coaches, and own family.

DJ's left nut
02-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Could they have passed on Kamara because they wanted to go defense with the plan of taking Hunt?

That's exactly my suggestion - they were looking Cunningham and when he went right before them, they panicked.

My point being that this is EXACTLY why you don't approach a pick 'wanting to go X'.

Because taking K-Pass was absolutely retarded from the moment the pick was made. And if it was made because they were committed to going defense with that pick, then it was a bad pick made for a worse reason.

The only upshot is that I would hope they've learned something from it and will refrain from any impulse to just take whatever jamoke is available on their board so long as he plays defense in this draft. There are a lot of offensive guys likely to be available who will help this team in a big way in the coming years.

Bowser
02-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Prior to this year I would say Russel Wilson but I don't want him anymore.I couldn't be happier than with Mahomes, but at the time, we took Donald Stephenson one pick before Seattle took Wilson in the third round. GTFO of here with that shit.

Direkshun’s whore mother?She has absolutely zero burst left.

God that one still chaps my ass....While you're correct, I'm looking forward to K-pass at end for us. He was in no way, shape, or form an OLB'er in a 3-4, and I hope a move back to his natural position and responsibilities pays off for us.....

DJ's left nut
02-27-2019, 04:51 PM
While you're correct, I'm looking forward to K-pass at end for us. He was in no way, shape, or form an OLB'er in a 3-4, and I hope a move back to his natural position and responsibilities pays off for us.....

With his pad level, he can't play end either. He might've been a worthwhile DE in a 3-4 where he could use his length and strength in a similar manner to Bailey.

But in this system, I don't seem him being a viable DE either. He's certainly not explosive enough for the Leo so you're left trying him at SDE and I just don't see a guy that stacks/sheds well enough for that role.

He's this odd combination of a pursuit player's athleticism with a space eater's body. It could make him a terror at either role but instead, with his complete lack of technique, it makes him pretty terrible at both of them.

I dunno - he just seems out of place anywhere I try to put him.

Munson
02-27-2019, 05:20 PM
In the 2004 draft, we needed a DT in a bad way. I thought Vince Wilfork was the best one, but figured he was gonna be long gone when we picked at #30 overall.

As the draft unfolded, he kept falling. He made it past the top 10, and I started to get a little excited. Then he slipped past the top 20, and I was practically falling out of my chair.

The Patriots were on the clock with the 21st pick. I was yelling at the tv for the Chiefs to trade up and grab him. At that time, it was the most obvious "trade up" situation I had ever seen for the Chiefs. But just as you would expect, King Carl did nothing and let him slip away.

And when it came time for us to pick at #30, we end up trading down and taking Junior Siavii near the top of the 2nd round, and Kris Wilson near the bottom of the same round. We all know how worthless those two guys ended up being.

The only thing that salvaged the entire '04 draft was grabbing Jared Allen in the 4th.

Take a look if you want to be reminded of how bad it was...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft

DJ's left nut
02-27-2019, 05:23 PM
In the 2004 draft, we needed a DT in a bad way. I thought Vince Wilfork was the best one, but figured he was gonna be long gone when we picked at #30 overall.

As the draft unfolded, he kept falling. He made it past the top 10, and I started to get a little excited. Then he slipped past the top 20, and I was practically falling out of my chair.

The Patriots were on the clock with the 21st pick. I was yelling at the tv for the Chiefs to trade up and grab him. At that time, it was the most obvious "trade up" situation I had ever seen for the Chiefs. But just as you would expect, King Carl did nothing and let him slip away.

And when it came time for us to pick at #30, we end up trading down and taking Junior Siavii near the top of the 2nd round, and Kris Wilson near the bottom of the same round. We all know how worthless those two guys ended up being.

The only thing that salvaged the entire '04 draft was grabbing Jared Allen in the 4th.

Almost as bad as not getting Wilfork was missing on Olshanski because they were sure he'd still be there for them after the trade-down.

That's why you don't trade out of the 1st for peanuts, kiddos.

scho63
02-28-2019, 07:02 AM

That was really, really bad except stumbling onto Jared Allen and him being a superstar!

Samie Parker played for quite a while in the NFL I but the rest of them were bums!