PDA

View Full Version : Football Pop Warner Association bans the three-point stance

Hammock Parties
02-28-2019, 07:20 PM
:cuss:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/02/28/pop-warner-bans-three-point-stance-some-kickoffs

Pop Warner Bans Three-Point Stance, Some Kickoffs

LANGHORNE, Pa. — Pop Warner will become the first national football program at any level to eliminate the three-point stance in further efforts to make the sport safer for young players.

The nation’s longest-serving youth football organization said Thursday the ban will be introduced in Pop Warner’s three youngest divisions this season. It’s aimed at changing how offensive and defensive linemen engage in contact when the ball is snapped.

Under the new rule, players in Tiny Mite (5 to 7 years old), Mitey Mite (7 to 9) and Junior Pee Wee (8 to 10) will not be allowed to position themselves on the line with their hand on the ground before the snap. Instead, they must either be upright or in a modified squat position with their hands on their legs.

"We believe this change is another step in creating a safer, better football experience for young people," said Jon Butler, executive director of Pop Warner Little Scholars. "By moving away from the three-point stance at our youngest levels we are changing how players are introduced to the sport and how they learn to play the game. We are also setting the stage for our higher levels of play to adopt the change. Because our sport has been willing to evolve over the past 150 years it is safer than ever, while maintaining what makes it so great."

Pop Warner will use the 2019 season to assess the new rule in the younger divisions and will consider implementing it later for the program’s higher levels.

Also changing in September: no kickoffs at the Pee Wee (9 to 11 years old) level. Pop Warner’s in 2016 rule barred kickoffs in its three youngest age groups. The ball following a score or to start a half will be placed at the 35-yard line.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0iRJz3W0AUxW9S.png

dj56dt58
02-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Turn em into pussies while their young

threebag
02-28-2019, 07:25 PM
They will be pulling tampon strings instead of flags before long.

Eleazar
02-28-2019, 07:28 PM
I wonder if they're seeing too much of a decline in numbers from parents who don't want their kids playing football anymore

Mephistopheles Janx
02-28-2019, 07:28 PM
I'm not terribly upset by protecting the under-developed noodles of the kids that will eventually be elected to lead, or do the electing, the country. Even high-school aged kids.

College and pro though... not sure.

wazu
02-28-2019, 07:51 PM
If they really care they should ban helmets and pads.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-28-2019, 08:11 PM

Why don't people realize how terrible this idea is? What happens when someone gets tackled and can't brace their fall and their face goes right into someone's knee?

Valiant
02-28-2019, 09:00 PM
Why don't people realize how terrible this idea is? What happens when someone gets tackled and can't brace their fall and their face goes right into someone's knee?

Less of an issue than using helmet to tackle?

Go leather helmets and pads like rugby, game would have less injuries after players adapt.

Mennonite
02-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Driving would be so much safer if all of the safety features on cars were removed. Drivers would be a lot more cautious after they learn to adapt, or after they die.

wazu
02-28-2019, 11:05 PM

When you aren’t dressed up as a human battering ram, you play the game differently.

-King-
02-28-2019, 11:18 PM
When you aren’t dressed up as a human battering ram, you play the game differently.

So linemen would do what differently if they weren't wearing pads?

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2019, 11:22 PM
In the NFL only the guards are getting down in the 3 point stance anymore on offense. Defense still gets down.

Sully
02-28-2019, 11:36 PM
Smart move

Easy 6
03-01-2019, 12:03 AM
This is sickening news, enjoy real football while it lasts

Lets all just play video games

Nickhead
03-01-2019, 12:09 AM

then you have to eliminate the forward pass. it is the only reason helmets and pads were introduced :D

Simply Red
03-01-2019, 12:25 AM
GoChiefs' threads are terminal dog shit - let's face it - he does much better in generic posts.

Hammock Parties
03-01-2019, 12:30 AM
GoChiefs' threads are terminal dog shit - let's face it - he does much better in generic posts.

You FUCK

I created the greatest Chiefsplanet thread of ALL TIME (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261629)

DO NOT QUESTION MY THREAD POSTING ABILITY

ThaVirus
03-01-2019, 06:53 AM
This is sickening news, enjoy real football while it lasts

Lets all just play video games

LMAO They banned the three-point stance for kids 10 and under.

Get a grip, dude.

-King-
03-01-2019, 07:11 AM
LMAO They banned the three-point stance for kids 10 and under.

Get a grip, dude.

Yeah but everybody knows how Pop Warner rules always spread to the NFL!!

farmerchief
03-01-2019, 07:19 AM
You ****

I created the greatest Chiefsplanet thread of ALL TIME (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261629)

Ali!, Ali!, Ali!,Ali!,Ali!,Ali!.Ali,Ali!Ali!,Ali!

HemiEd
03-01-2019, 07:30 AM
I wonder if they're seeing too much of a decline in numbers from parents who don't want their kids playing football anymore

That would be my guess at it clearly seems to be a trend.

One of my grandsons played down in Texas and has totally lost interest in FB. Video games, cars and girls are more important.

InChiefsHeaven
03-01-2019, 08:50 AM

My son played rugby and broke his jaw in 2 places in his first game. He had the ball and was struggling to get out of a tackle when he jerked his head and slammed right into another players knee.

He played football for years. Had a concussion once and a deep bone bruise once. Never broke a bone until he played Rugby. With no pads or helmet.

It's a contact sport. People will get hurt worse without the gear. JMO.

MahiMike
03-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't let my kid play.

gblowfish
03-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Man, when I played Pop Warner in the 1970s in Sugar Creek, our coaches made us do the Oklahoma Drill over and over and over. We also had line coaches who would grab a defensive guy in a four point stance, grab him by the shoulder pads and the tail pad and LITERALLY fiing him into the offensive guard or tackle to teach him how to come off the ball. I know, because I was a guard and had several D-Lineman flung into me by a coach. Kind of like Midget tossing in a bar. I played one season with a cast on my right hand and wrist, and used it like a club on defensive players. Knocked one kid out with an uppercut to the chin. Things were different then.

BWillie
03-01-2019, 07:24 PM
I mean, I don't really see why kids under 12 years old need to be playing a violent sport like tackle football. There honestly is an argument that football shouldn't even be allowed in high school due to CTE stuff. I'm fine with a kid at 18 years old deciding he wants to play football at that point - but I'm not so sure tackle football should even exist - especially before high school.

If I was a parent - I wouldn't let my kid play until they were 18 years old and they then can make up their own mind. CTE is nothing to scoff at - especially on a developing brain. Guys that played only a few snaps in college have been found to have CTE. Not worth it unless you gettin' paid.

Tribal Warfare
03-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Not a big deal, now if they consign this to Junior High/Middle School then that could spell the end of tackle football.

-King-
03-01-2019, 07:31 PM
I mean, I don't really see why kids under 12 years old need to be playing a violent sport like tackle football. There honestly is an argument that football shouldn't even be allowed in high school due to CTE stuff. I'm fine with a kid at 18 years old deciding he wants to play football at that point - but I'm not so sure tackle football should even exist - especially before high school.

If I was a parent - I wouldn't let my kid play until they were 18 years old and they then can make up their own mind. CTE is nothing to scoff at - especially on a developing brain. Guys that played only a few snaps in college have been found to have CTE. Not worth it unless you gettin' paid.

Now this is how you kill football. How the hell would this even work?

kccrow
03-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Far more contact to the head in the trenches than anywhere else on the field. It's literally every single down. I have zero issues with Pop Warner saying no for kids that young. High School and beyond? Get in a 3-point buttercup.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Far more contact to the head in the trenches than anywhere else on the field. It's literally every single down. I have zero issues with Pop Warner saying no for kids that young. High School and beyond? Get in a 3-point buttercup.

I equate it to tee-ball.

WhiteWhale
03-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Less head injuries...

More deaths.

stevieray
03-02-2019, 10:13 AM
If I was a parent -.

so far, so good.

Deberg_1990
03-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Man, when I played Pop Warner in the 1970s in Sugar Creek, our coaches made us do the Oklahoma Drill over and over and over. We also had line coaches who would grab a defensive guy in a four point stance, grab him by the shoulder pads and the tail pad and LITERALLY fiing him into the offensive guard or tackle to teach him how to come off the ball. I know, because I was a guard and had several D-Lineman flung into me by a coach. Kind of like Midget tossing in a bar. I played one season with a cast on my right hand and wrist, and used it like a club on defensive players. Knocked one kid out with an uppercut to the chin. Things were different then.

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!

Chiefspants
03-02-2019, 10:21 AM
When the POTUS, a man who openly craves for the brutality of football of yore, comes out an says football is too dangerous for his son - the NFL and the leagues below it have a problem.