PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Anyone have an Air Fryer

Fat Elvis
03-04-2019, 11:12 PM
If you have an Air Fryer, how do you like it, and do you have any goo recipes to share?

htismaqe
03-04-2019, 11:13 PM
My kids love it. Basically anything you would fry you can cook in the air fryer without any oil.

Buehler445
03-04-2019, 11:16 PM
My kids love it. Basically anything you would fry you can cook in the air fryer without any oil.

I don't have anything beyond this.

I did pop some wheat in it that was pretty pimp, but that's probably not much ado on your world.

cosmo20002
03-04-2019, 11:19 PM
If you have an Air Fryer, how do you like it, and do you have any goo recipes to share?

I gotta goo recipe for ya

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2019, 11:21 PM
I keep one at my lake house just for cooking fish

stanleychief
03-04-2019, 11:21 PM
I found a Breville BOV900BSS on Amazon that was sold as a scratch-n-dent unit. I got it for 50% off. I couldn't be happier!

Really, just about anything you would deep fry, you can air fry. I was skeptical at first, thinking it was a bunch of marketing hype, but after trying a few things, the results are pretty good. Foods brown and crisp up just like they would in a fryer.

htismaqe
03-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Baked potatoes are freaking excellent. Brush them with a little olive oil and salt and it's kind of like turning an entire potato into one big steak fry.

htismaqe
03-04-2019, 11:26 PM
I found a Breville BOV900BSS on Amazon that was sold as a scratch-n-dent unit. I got it for 50% off. I couldn't be happier!

Really, just about anything you would deep fry, you can air fry. I was skeptical at first, thinking it was a bunch of marketing hype, but after trying a few things, the results are pretty good. Foods brown and crisp up just like they would in a fryer.

Yep.

Chicken strips, breaded fish, you name it, if it can be fried, it can be air-fried.

And even stuff you wouldn't expect works out well, like raw veggies or unbranded shrimp.

loochy
03-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Yes. It's a very fast and easy way to heat/reheat things without making them soggy. Think of it as a tiny convection oven that requires no preheat time. We use ours 4 to 5 times a week.

Get an air fryer and an instantpot and your life will be so much easier.

Monkey God
03-05-2019, 07:10 AM
We have a Ninja Foodi...it's like an Insta Pot but also has an air fryer feature...it is awesome!!! Use the air fryer function a lot. Made perfect chicken wings this past weekend.

Great Expectations
03-05-2019, 07:20 AM
Has any one tried to make onion rings in it? I worry that the outside would be done way before the inside. Sams/Costco have some premade ones in the frozen section that look great.

Btw, the sams knock off chick-fil-a chicken nuggets are fantastic in it.

threebag
03-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Great another air fryer thread. Only thing better than this will be when they get bumped in about 7 years.

loochy
03-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Has any one tried to make onion rings in it? I worry that the outside would be done way before the inside. Sams/Costco have some premade ones in the frozen section that look great.

You should be able to adjust the heat down and the time up to avoid burning the outside....maybe 300 degrees for 8 minutes to do the inside, then a quick blast of 390 for a minute to crisp the outside? Get a single ring in there and test it out.

Kman34
03-05-2019, 07:56 AM
I fry chicken in it.. have to spray a little olive oil or cooking oil on them to get the golden brown crust.. still much healthier than deep frying..

arrowheadnation
03-05-2019, 07:57 AM
I also have a Ninja Foodi. It is awesome. You can pressure cook and air fry a rack of ribs from package to plate in less than 2 hours. Frozen chicken wings from package to plate in less than an hour. I love this thing.

Randallflagg
03-05-2019, 08:07 AM
We've been using ours for a couple of years now. It does a fine job with most everything and (like stated earlier) is much better than deep frying.

Reerun_KC
03-05-2019, 08:18 AM
Yes

Why Not?
03-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Yeah we’re big fans of ours. Make the hell out of some great wings in 20 minutes

Frosty
03-05-2019, 08:29 AM
Anyone done cut up stir fry veggies (peppers, snow peas, broccoli, mushrooms, etc) in one? Doing a large batch in the wok takes a crap ton of oil to keep from burning so I've been thinking about trying them in the air fryer and then adding the cooked veggies to the meat and rice to the wok. It would significantly cut down the calories.

SupDock
03-05-2019, 08:57 AM
I would recommend getting one large enough to cook a whole chicken, that is how I use it most often. You can cook one in about an hour. Crispy skin, juicy meat

loochy
03-05-2019, 09:13 AM
I would recommend getting one large enough to cook a whole chicken, that is how I use it most often. You can cook one in about an hour. Crispy skin, juicy meat

Yes, get a bigger one. The one I have is too small sometimes, and it's only me, my wife, and my 4 year old son.

ptlyon
03-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Are the wings that good though? Nice and crispy?

BossChief
03-05-2019, 09:17 AM
We use ours every day. Spring for a larger one because you’ll probably want to use it more than you think.

loochy
03-05-2019, 09:18 AM
The only drawback is that they are kind of big. Ours has to stay out on the counter all the time (which I hate) because it is too tall to fit into our cabinets.

Shaid
03-05-2019, 09:33 AM
We have an Air Fryer Oven - basically it just has trays rather than one big basket. We cook tons of stuff in it and it's great. Bonus for the kids is it's big enough for them to put party pizzas in when they get home from school. Honestly, it might be our most used appliance.

Shaid
03-05-2019, 09:34 AM

I made wings in it and they were great, nice crisp crust on them.

cabletech94
03-05-2019, 09:34 AM
The only drawback is that they are kind of big. Ours has to stay out on the counter all the time (which I hate) because it is too tall to fit into our cabinets.

I actually store mine in the original box on a shelf in the garage. Just helps with the clutter

SupDock
03-05-2019, 09:40 AM
I actually store mine in the original box on a shelf in the garage. Just helps with the clutter

This is exactly what I do, but only use it 1-2x a week. Not sure what I would do if I used it more often

Great Expectations
03-05-2019, 09:43 AM

I used my sous vide to cook wings in their sauce and rub for the Phoenix Open Waste Management golf tournament last month, then put them in the air fryer until they were crispy. They were outstanding, but left a ton of grease to clean up in the air fryer afterwards. I made about 4 batches, they were all gone at the end.

Titty Meat
03-05-2019, 09:53 AM
I bought one last week its very convenient

Shaid
03-05-2019, 09:59 AM
I used my sous vide to cook wings in their sauce and rub for the Phoenix Open Waste Management golf tournament last month, then put them in the air fryer until they were crispy. They were outstanding, but left a ton of grease to clean up in the air fryer afterwards. I made about 4 batches, they were all gone at the end.

Open Waste Management and wings. Goes together like PB&J. :D

htismaqe
03-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Anyone done cut up stir fry veggies (peppers, snow peas, broccoli, mushrooms, etc) in one? Doing a large batch in the wok takes a crap ton of oil to keep from burning so I've been thinking about trying them in the air fryer and then adding the cooked veggies to the meat and rice to the wok. It would significantly cut down the calories.

Yes, we've cooked veggies like that. Works good.

gblowfish
03-05-2019, 11:33 AM
I've been thinking about buying one of these. On Amazon the prices are all over the place from about $275 for a Philips model to $70 for a Wal Mart Chinese knock off. There's just Mrs. B and me, but I like to cook big and share stuff with the neighbors. Any buying advice?

Baby Lee
03-05-2019, 11:38 AM
I've been thinking about buying one of these. On Amazon the prices are all over the place from about $275 for a Philips model to $70 for a Wal Mart Chinese knock off. There's just Mrs. B and me, but I like to cook big and share stuff with the neighbors. Any buying advice?

Both I and my parents have had the NuWave Flavorwave for YEARS and use them regularly.

https://www.asseenontv-superstore.com/kitchen/images/fwo-mc2FlavorWaveOven-Deluxe_250x250.jpg

I guess it could be a little more unwieldy because you have to have counter space to take the top off to retrieve your food, as opposed to just pulling out a drawer like the newer configurations, but it more than makes up for it, IMO, in your ability to monitor your food as it cooks.

In case it's not clear, the clear bottom [up to the crease just about the white stand] is a deep glass dish, and the entire top from there up comes off to put food in and remove food after cooking. It also comes with an extender ring that makes the entire cooking vessel taller, and stainless racks so you can layer different dishes [ie, burgers on one rack and fries on another].

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NY7M5MgQaBA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

loochy
03-05-2019, 11:58 AM

We're happy with the $50 one from Costco. The only drawbacks are that it can be a bit small for large jobs and it's too big to fit in my cabinet.

Also, I'd look for one that has a decently deep area in the bottom to catch grease and liquid. I cooked bacon in mine and I made a grease mess because grease sloshed out of the lowest vents in the catch pan when I took the bacon out.

Titty Meat
03-05-2019, 12:00 PM

I got the $60 dollar one at costco gets the job done

loochy
03-05-2019, 12:01 PM
and do you have any goo recipes to share?

Yes, I do.

What You Need:

School glue
Borax (Sodium tetraborate)
Food coloring (optional)
Water
Two bowls

1.) In one bowl mix 1 oz. glue (about ¼ of the glue bottle) and ¼ cup water. If you want colored slime, add food coloring to the glue and water mixture. Lift some of the solution out of the container with the stir stick and note what happens.
2.) Add ¼ cup of Sodium Tetraborate (Borax) Solution to the glue and water mixture and stir slowly.
3.) The slime will begin to form immediately. Lift some of the solution with the stir stick and observe how the consistency has changed from Step 1.
4.) Stir as much as you can, then dig in and knead it with your hands until it gets less sticky. This is a messy experience but is necessary because it allows the two compounds to bond completely. Don’t worry about any leftover water in the bowl; just pour it out.
5.) When not in use, store the slime in a plastic bag in the fridge to keep it from growing mold.

fan4ever
03-05-2019, 12:06 PM
I just ordered the "Big Boss 16 QT Air Fryer" because of this thread and some research I've done. Sounds like air frying is the way to go and I wanted the larger capacity.

htismaqe
03-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Yes, I do.

What You Need:

School glue
Borax (Sodium tetraborate)
Food coloring (optional)
Water
Two bowls

1.) In one bowl mix 1 oz. glue (about ¼ of the glue bottle) and ¼ cup water. If you want colored slime, add food coloring to the glue and water mixture. Lift some of the solution out of the container with the stir stick and note what happens.
2.) Add ¼ cup of Sodium Tetraborate (Borax) Solution to the glue and water mixture and stir slowly.
3.) The slime will begin to form immediately. Lift some of the solution with the stir stick and observe how the consistency has changed from Step 1.
4.) Stir as much as you can, then dig in and knead it with your hands until it gets less sticky. This is a messy experience but is necessary because it allows the two compounds to bond completely. Don’t worry about any leftover water in the bowl; just pour it out.
5.) When not in use, store the slime in a plastic bag in the fridge to keep it from growing mold.

ROFL

fan4ever
03-05-2019, 12:14 PM

So they were totally cooked out of the sous vide and the air fryer was just to crisp them up...how long did you put them in there for?

Frosty
03-05-2019, 12:15 PM
I just ordered the "Big Boss 16 QT Air Fryer" because of this thread and some research I've done. Sounds like air frying is the way to go and I wanted the larger capacity.

That's one of the ones I have for bigger jobs. It works great and I like the glass so you can see what's going on (it's heavy and unwieldy to clean, though). I also have a smaller one (Phillips, iirc) that I use for small jobs like a load of fries or a chicken patty.

Bwana
03-05-2019, 12:31 PM
I have a GoWISE 5.8-QT that I forgot about until this thread. It was a gift and I really need to dig it out of the basement closet and fire it up.

TLO
03-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Great another air fryer thread. Only thing better than this will be when they get bumped in about 7 years.

*sets calendar reminder to bump thread in March 2026*

arrowheadnation
03-05-2019, 01:23 PM
These (attached) were all made on the Ninja Foodi: boneless country style ribs, fries, wings, and a rack of ribs.

Cook time:
Ribs: less than 2hrs from package to plate
Wings: less than an hour from frozen to plate
Fries: 18 min
Boneless Country Style Ribs: about 40 min

I also did some Johnsonville Brats in it last weekend that were perfect.

Does it taste as good as if it were smoked or grilled, of course not, but it's also 2 hours compared to 6+ hours of cook time. That being said, the taste is still damn good and they are ridiculously tender....not the fries, of course thy are crispy :)

If you have the $$, I'd definitely recommend the Foodi. incredibly versatile and VERY, I stress VERY easy to clean up.

Great Expectations
03-05-2019, 01:34 PM
So they were totally cooked out of the sous vide and the air fryer was just to crisp them up...how long did you put them in there for?

About 6 minutes, just enough for the color to change, but they could’ve handled longer. On the wet wings I cooked them wet in the Sous Vide, others I dry rubbed and then added more after the air fryer. More fat was rendered this way and they were still moist on the inside.

gblowfish
03-05-2019, 01:42 PM
I just bought this used on Craigslist for $30. If it sucks and I don't like it, no big deal. I'll just put it back on CL and resell it.

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-20631-Oven-Plus-Black/dp/B00IXC1VYG/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=33780203194&hvbmt=e&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=nuwave+pro&qid=1551814847&s=gateway&sr=8-5&tag=geminipcstand-20

Baby Lee
03-05-2019, 01:50 PM
I just bought this used on Craigslist for $30. If it sucks and I don't like it, no big deal. I'll just put it back on CL and resell it.

https://www.amazon.com/NuWave-20631-Oven-Plus-Black/dp/B00IXC1VYG/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=33780203194&hvbmt=e&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=nuwave+pro&qid=1551814847&s=gateway&sr=8-5&tag=geminipcstand-20

So long as it works, I nearly guarantee you'll love it. If it quits, it's probably not worth trying to fix. But that's increasingly true in the evolving disposable tech society. But unless someone cooked a bunch of nasty stuff in it making it permanently smelly somehow [never heard of it, but I assume it's possible], or unless the body of it is cracked, it's nearly foolproof and does it's job quickly and quietly.

ptlyon
03-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Uncleaned

gblowfish
03-05-2019, 02:19 PM
I'll inspect it and if it's messed up I'll kick her ass in the Quik Trip parking lot!

Stewie
03-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Both I and my parents have had the NuWave Flavorwave for YEARS and use them regularly.

https://www.asseenontv-superstore.com/kitchen/images/fwo-mc2FlavorWaveOven-Deluxe_250x250.jpg

I've had the Aldi version of this for a couple of years. Way more versatile than the air fryer. It was $39 and works great. Mine has an extender ring and will do a 14 lb. turkey.

I use it all the time. Great for chicken and fish. I do cottage fries and burgers at the same time, too (fries on top rack, burgers on bottom rack).

fan4ever
03-05-2019, 02:56 PM
I've had the Aldi version of this for a couple of years. Way more versatile than the air fryer. It was $39 and works great. Mine has an extender ring and will do a 14 lb. turkey.

I use it all the time. Great for chicken and fish. I do cottage fries and burgers at the same time, too (fries on top rack, burgers on bottom rack).

Do the fries cook crispy with all that hamburger moisture in there?

Shaid
03-05-2019, 03:16 PM
Here's the one I have. Got it for $80 from Bed Bath and Beyond. They had a sale on it, plus they send you like 20% off coupons which I used to order it for store pickup online and then I also had another 20% off coupon for when you buy in store. They basically stacked both of those.

This thread inspired my lunch choice today - wings. Stuck em in frozen and hit the fried chicken setting - let them go until done and tossed them in sauce. Easy and good.

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-Power-Fryer-Oven/dp/B07BR9NR76/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvadid=77859183150952&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=air+fryer+oven&qid=1551816046&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&tag=mh0b-20&psc=1

Shaid
03-05-2019, 03:17 PM
I did try burgers in mine, didn't like how they turned out, the nuwave may be better for that purpose.

gblowfish
03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Since mine is a Nuwave fryer do I have to play Gary Numan while I use it??

Stewie
03-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Do the fries cook crispy with all that hamburger moisture in there?

They do. Since they're on the top rack they're close to the halogen heating element and not really affected by what's below.

Note: Aldi only offers the turbo convection oven a couple times per year (spring/fall maybe) but it's a heck of a deal.

1claire
03-05-2019, 05:26 PM
I do use air fryer to cook sweet potato tots, chicken wings, onion rings, and more. Food is not greasy that is why I like it.

fan4ever
03-05-2019, 07:11 PM
They do. Since they're on the top rack they're close to the halogen heating element and not really affected by what's below.

I thought perhaps with the air circulating that might be an issue; good to know.

mlyonsd
03-05-2019, 07:19 PM
We bought an air fryer a few months ago and like it a lot although we use it mostly for side dishes.

Stewie
03-05-2019, 07:25 PM
I thought perhaps with the air circulating that might be an issue; good to know.

Just to be clear, these are cottage fries. They're not to be confused with anything deep fried. They are crunchy on the outside with creamy centers.

gblowfish
03-06-2019, 11:10 AM
I met up in Liberty with my Craig's List contact and picked up a Nuwave Pro for $30. It looks brand new. It was clean and came with all the original stuff. I made some steak fries in it last night. Turned out great and only took about 20 minutes. I think this is going to work out!

Fat Elvis
03-06-2019, 11:16 AM
Since mine is a Nuwave fryer do I have to play Gary Numan while I use it??

Believe it or not, he's still at it....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lHomCiPFknY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCUnited
03-06-2019, 11:23 AM
My inner fat guy kids love it when I air fry one of those Red Baron french bread pizzas.

sobs quietly

fan4ever
03-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Well whatta ya know...I just got mine. While I was waiting I watched some poorly made videos reviewing the one I bought and got a sinking feeling. Just received it and tested on some store bought fries and they were actually crunchy and flavorful...very much like the deep fryer...expected soggy/crisp combo you get from the oven. Whole chicken next.

ptlyon
03-07-2019, 05:16 PM
Ok, wasn't going to bump this thread again, but being it was...

Really thinking about getting one for the camper. What brands would be recommended?

Abba-Dabba
03-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Have a Nuwave. Used it a few times and was not impressed. Don't plan on using it again.

praveenkumarad
03-13-2019, 10:24 AM

I really confuse when I was search for air fryers and not able to find any helpful article whether air fryer is good for our health or not. But when I find this article airfryermarket.com/are-air-fryers-safe I really satisfied their opinion and bought Philips air fryer which is one of the renowned brand in kitchen appliance.

htismaqe
03-13-2019, 10:26 AM
I finally went and looked to see which one we have.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs7d2.scene7.com%2Fis%2Fimage%2FBedBathandBeyond%2F135720662662383p%3F%24478%24&f=1

It's the As Seen on TV model and it got excellent reviews, which is why she went with it. I've got nothing but good things to say about it. Everything turns out nicely and it's big enough to cook an entire meal.

arrowheadnation
03-13-2019, 10:37 AM
I made steak fajitas last night in the ninja foodi. I took the steaks out of my freezer and went from frozen solid to sliced up and ready to eat in about 20-25 min.

2 min cook time plus the few min it takes to build pressure in the pressure cooker to thaw and tenderize
6 min or so on the air crisper to finish
the rest was prep time.

gblowfish
03-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Have a Nuwave. Used it a few times and was not impressed. Don't plan on using it again.

I've been using mine for the last week quite a bit. Here's what I found:

1) On frozen meat like chicken, you have to watch it pretty close, or you'll over cook very easily. Can't just program and walk away, need to keep a watch on it. And the chicken needs to be flipped halfway through. I mean that in the most positive way.

2) It did a great job on sausage.

3) Not so good on baking cornbread. I'd still bake stuff in a regular oven.

4) It does GREAT on making frozen garlic or texas toast. Quick and tasty.

5) Also good at reheating restaurant food.

6) It also brings cookies back to life. If you buy a dollar pack of Best Choice Chocolate chip cookies, you can sprinkle them with water then heat them up for about 2 minutes and they taste like they came right out of the oven.

7) Did some bacon, it was OK, but very messy. Bacon grease all over the place. Easier just to do this on a slotted tinfoil pan in the oven.

8) Does steak fries pretty well. Again, have to watch them and flip them halfway through. Fine line between over cooking and under cooking then.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2019, 01:49 PM
I've been using mine for the last week quite a bit. Here's what I found:

1) On frozen meat like chicken, you have to watch it pretty close, or you'll over cook very easily. Can't just program and walk away, need to keep a watch on it. And the chicken needs to be flipped halfway through. I mean that in the most positive way.

2) It did a great job on sausage.

3) Not so good on baking cornbread. I'd still bake stuff in a regular oven.

4) It does GREAT on making frozen garlic or texas toast. Quick and tasty.

5) Also good at reheating restaurant food.

6) It also brings cookies back to life. If you buy a dollar pack of Best Choice Chocolate chip cookies, you can sprinkle them with water then heat them up for about 2 minutes and they taste like they came right out of the oven.

7) Did some bacon, it was OK, but very messy. Bacon grease all over the place. Easier just to do this on a slotted tinfoil pan in the oven.

8) Does steak fries pretty well. Again, have to watch them and flip them halfway through. Fine line between over cooking and under cooking then.9) Sucks ass at frozen okra.

loochy
03-13-2019, 01:50 PM
9) Sucks ass at frozen okra.

Really? I'm surprised. Please elaborate.

Beef Supreme
03-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Fried air definitely tastes better than regular air.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Really? I'm surprised. Please elaborate.The breaded okra that needs to be fried... It's terrible, just mush and clumped up. I suspect they're really ideal for things they've been par cooked.

htismaqe
03-13-2019, 01:56 PM
The breaded okra that needs to be fried... It's terrible, just mush and clumped up. I suspect they're really ideal for things they've been par cooked.

It comes out nice and crispy in ours.

loochy
03-13-2019, 01:58 PM
The breaded okra that needs to be fried... It's terrible, just mush and clumped up. I suspect they're really ideal for things they've been par cooked.<br />
:shrug: Spritz it with oil and do the thing....I'm surprised. I believe you though because I've never done okra in mine.

Fire Me Boy!
03-13-2019, 01:58 PM
:shrug: Spritz it with oil and do the thing....I'm surprised.I did, it was awful.

MOhillbilly
03-13-2019, 05:57 PM
Just buy a damn convection oven.

Fire Me Boy!
02-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Bump.

TLO
02-16-2020, 05:42 PM

*sets calendar reminder to bump thread in March 2026*

Bump.

We're a little earlier than scheduled, but I'll allow it.

Hamwallet
02-16-2020, 06:03 PM
I have one and I do hand cut fries and breaded chicken strips. That’s about it. My fiancé’s mother bought it for us so it takes up counter space in our shitty apartment because I will not buy a house until we are married. Ask me about an air fryer. Go ahead asshole. Ask me about one.

Randallflagg
02-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Just bought a new stove - it's induction and has Air Fryer capability. I've used an Air Fryer (not on the stove but stand alone) and it worked great. I've never added more than a teaspoon of oil that would usually takes cups of oil (for frying).

jdubya
02-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Air Fryer = Convection Oven

If youre going to be a dog, be a big dog and get a real fryer ;)

Chiefshrink
02-16-2020, 06:31 PM
Yes. It's a very fast and easy way to heat/reheat things without making them soggy. Think of it as a tiny convection oven that requires no preheat time. We use ours 4 to 5 times a week.

Get an air fryer and an instantpot and your life will be so much easier.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Fat Elvis
02-16-2020, 06:45 PM
I've had mine for about a year now, and it is easily my favorite appliance. I use it just about every day. Just got done making a couple of low carb mini pizzas in it.

I'm a vegetarian, and I like my veggies either grilled or roasted, and this thing roasts veggies probably better than anything I've used before.

You just have to experiment with it. After a while, you get a feel of what is needed for new dishes. I'm thinking about getting one for the office at work.

kcxiv
02-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Air Fryer = Convection Oven

If youre going to be a dog, be a big dog and get a real fryer ;)

no one wants the real grease though. Thats the whole damned point! Sucks as you get older you have to watch what you eat.

Great Expectations
02-16-2020, 07:37 PM
I use my air fryer to roast veggies, cook frozen food for the kids (chicken nuggets, fries, etc), reheat leftover pizza, and to finish chicken wings I’ve cooked sous vide.

MahiMike
02-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Why yes I do own an oven.

F150
02-16-2020, 09:20 PM
I have a sous vide. It makes great soft boiled eggs, other than that its a PITA and it sits in a box. Son bought his mother an instapot. It is dynamite for hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs and reading the recipes we can make all the stuff it does a lot easier without the pot thing so it will end up in a box as well. air fryer seems like a convection cooker we can do in the oven.

Groves
02-16-2020, 10:42 PM
Ninja Foodi is a combination pressure cooker and air fryer.

Such a delightful duo.

I can get crispy shredded carnitas in under an hour.

Pressure cook frozen wings, then crisp them right up.

Frozen french fries so extra crispy in minutes.

Upside down chicken nachos in 25min.

Tender AND well browned barbacoa in the same machine.

I keep the sous vide for high volume. This Foodi has made my life much easier almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcxiv
02-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Just made some chicken gizzards with some spicy shake and bake! They are good.

gblowfish
02-17-2020, 01:50 PM
I have a NuWave cooker and an Instant Pot. Love both of them and use them quite often.

InChiefsHeaven
02-17-2020, 02:28 PM
We made Not Knots (basically, fried bread dough that you then put butter and garlic on.)

Came out pretty damn good. In fact, I've not had a problem with anything we air fry, even did my own hot wings (just fried up some wings, then dredged them in the sauce).

It's all good. I will say, frozen fries must be watched, and especially frozen onion rings...they burn quick so keep an eye on them.

threebag
02-17-2020, 08:20 PM
I have a NuWave cooker and an Instant Pot. Love both of them and use them quite often.

How bout the Ronco Rotisserie?

Set it and forget it...

Fire Me Boy!
02-17-2020, 08:25 PM
How bout the Ronco Rotisserie?

Set it and forget it...I had one of those. It actually worked pretty well. Made a good rotisserie.

cabletech94
02-17-2020, 09:44 PM
love the instant pot. i make chicken and noodles to die for.
ive toyed around with my air fryer. did potato skins for the playoffs. oh my god they were good. did an egg roll chicken thigh thingy. those were pretty damn good too.

Dunerdr
12-31-2020, 12:21 PM
Hey all, i had a small air fryer in the past and liked it, but it wasnt big enough to cook for a family of four in. And it sucks making fries, then waiting 25 minutes for wings. Does anyone have experience with a little bigger air fryer? also can you pack the basket to the top when cooking?

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 01:04 PM
Hey all, i had a small air fryer in the past and liked it, but it wasnt big enough to cook for a family of four in. And it sucks making fries, then waiting 25 minutes for wings. Does anyone have experience with a little bigger air fryer? also can you pack the basket to the top when cooking?

I bought two air fryers last year so that I can make fries and chicken nuggets simultaneously for my kids.

I've had terrible luck trying to cook two disparate types of foods in the same air fryer. It's always been a disaster.

dlphg9
12-31-2020, 01:46 PM
Ninja foodi grill ftfw! Thing is a certified badass

dlphg9
12-31-2020, 01:47 PM
I bought two air fryers last year so that I can make fries and chicken nuggets simultaneously for my kids.

I've had terrible luck trying to cook two disparate types of foods in the same air fryer. It's always been a disaster.

Yep I have the ninja foodi grill and a regular air fryer, because it's impossible to make 2 different types of food in a single airfryer at one time

Megatron96
12-31-2020, 02:05 PM
Bought an AF because my sister-in-law raved about hers. Hasn't really lived up to all the hype, imo. I have been using it slightly more due to my diet over the last 5-6 months and air-frying fish or chicken for one is about perfect for that thing, but really I could have done all of that in my convection oven, and cooked multiple items at the same time.

Dunerdr
12-31-2020, 02:08 PM
Bought an AF because my sister-in-law raved about hers. Hasn't really lived up to all the hype, imo. I have been using it slightly more due to my diet over the last 5-6 months and air-frying fish or chicken for one is about perfect for that thing, but really I could have done all of that in my convection oven, and cooked multiple items at the same time.

I had one and i guess i was really only under the impression that you could cook fried type stuff with it like nuggets and fries for some reason, ive got a friend now whos a single guy who does steaks, chicken and veggies in it all the time. I'm looking to get another one for that and the simplicity of tossing corn dogs and stuff in for the kids. But it would be really nice to have one that makes enough for everyone when we eat stuff that every one likes.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-31-2020, 02:11 PM
Any tips for someone who recently got one for XMas? I've used it a few times for mozzarella sticks and once for hashbrowns, but haven't ventured beyond that.

KChiefs1
12-31-2020, 02:23 PM
I use it for everything.

French Fries
Chicken patties/fingers/nuggets
Shrimp
Fish
Burritos

KChiefs1
12-31-2020, 02:25 PM

I warm up cold onion rings from Sonic in it. Perfect

DaneMcCloud
12-31-2020, 02:27 PM
Any tips for someone who recently got one for XMas? I've used it a few times for mozzarella sticks and once for hashbrowns, but haven't ventured beyond that.

I've made everything from chicken nuggets, several different types of fries, breaded or plain fish, fish sticks, vegetables, breaded chicken patties, garlic and olive oil red potatoes and so much more. They've all come out excellent and my family really enjoys the results.

I didn't have much luck with either pig bacon or turkey bacon, so I continue to cook those in the oven.

One of the best aspects of the air fryer is reheating food, whether it's leftovers or fries that have become "soggy" due to delivery or pick up. It'll make them as good as new and sometimes even better in less than 5 minutes.

bdj23
12-31-2020, 02:27 PM
I have one that kinda looks like the Raiders stadium. I use it quite a bit. Pizza rolls are phenomenal out of it.

Wife made some hand breaded buffalo chicken tenders the other day that were delicious.

I kinda want to try hot pockets, but those things tear me up.

KChiefs1
12-31-2020, 02:31 PM
One of the best aspects of the air fryer is reheating food, whether it's leftovers or fries that have become "soggy" due to delivery or pick up. It'll make them as good as new and sometimes even better in less than 5 minutes.

This

Many times my wife will bring home McDonald’s & put it in the fridge for me. I can now reheat the fries & enjoy them.

Perfect

Fat Elvis
12-31-2020, 03:06 PM

I literally cook everything in it. The nice thing about air fryers is that you can easily experiment with them. It is practically the only way I will cook vegetables anymore (and I am a vegetarian). I find it really nice for creating a nice "roast" on vegatables whether they are fresh or frozen. Since they are pretty cheap, I would follow some of the advice in the thread and get two (or more, lol); there is also a Ninja air fryer that has two separate compartments, I believe, if you want to stick to one appliance.

One thing that really helps are air fryer accessories so that you can cook foods in the air fryer in different ways. Basically, an air fryer is a compact convection oven so anything you can cook in one of those you can cook faster and more easily in an air fryer.

Fat Elvis
12-31-2020, 03:07 PM
I have one that kinda looks like the Raiders stadium. I use it quite a bit. Pizza rolls are phenomenal out of it.

Wife made some hand breaded buffalo chicken tenders the other day that were delicious.

I kinda want to try hot pockets, but those things tear me up.

I like making personal pizzas in mine.

bdj23
12-31-2020, 03:46 PM
I like making personal pizzas in mine.

Like those ones you get in the Red Baron two packs or whatever? Fuck that's a good idea. I haven't had those in years.

Baby Lee
12-31-2020, 03:46 PM
One thing that can really help with convenience, like soggy fries air fryers are great for crisping up stale tortilla chips, plus they're warm when you have your nachos. Just gotta keep an eye on them so they don't brown. Usually only takes 3-4 minutes to bake the moisture back out of them. About the amount of time it takes to fill a cup with nacho cheese and heat it in the microwave.

Convenient.

Baby Lee
12-31-2020, 03:50 PM
Like those ones you get in the Red Baron two packs or whatever? Fuck that's a good idea. I haven't had those in years.

Here's my latest white trash opulence. Get the 'everything' bread from Walmart [on the day old rack if you can],

Pizza sauce [Cascones]
Fresh Mozz
Fresh onion, mushroom
Canned black olive.
Then take frozen Italian meatballs, and slice them into slivers [coins].

Pile it all up on the bread, sliced to pizza slice length, then halved.

Air fry until the cheese bubbles and begins to brown.

This bread makes for better pizza 'crust' than most anything you can get in the frozen aisle.

KChiefs1
12-31-2020, 03:53 PM
Here's my latest white trash opulence. Get the 'everything' bread from Walmart [on the day old rack if you can],

Pizza sauce [Cascones]
Fresh Mozz
Fresh onion, mushroom
Canned black olive.
Then take frozen Italian meatballs, and slice them into slivers.

Pile it all up on the bread, sliced to pizza slice length, then halved.

Air fry until the cheese bubbles and begins to brown.

This bread makes for better pizza 'crust' than most anything you can get in the frozen aisle.

I've had mine for a couple of years & it's small compared to the newer models.

Is there one you can fit a whole frozen pizza into? I'd like to buy a pizza crust & make my own if it would fit into an air fryer.

Baby Lee
12-31-2020, 03:59 PM

Is there one you can fit a whole frozen pizza into? I'd like to buy a pizza crust & make my own if it would fit into an air fryer.

I make mine 'from scratch'

That's why I use the everything bread

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40304_153025638045515_3857081_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=174925&_nc_ohc=oLQOr1wdheAAX8vAJz7&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=d5ae1374fd6de016c33f8819ffde1b8f&oe=6013F7BE

It's unsliced, so slice it to the width you want, then halve it top and bottom for two personal size.

KChiefs1
12-31-2020, 04:07 PM
I make mine 'from scratch'

That's why I use the everything bread

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40304_153025638045515_3857081_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=174925&_nc_ohc=oLQOr1wdheAAX8vAJz7&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=d5ae1374fd6de016c33f8819ffde1b8f&oe=6013F7BE

It's unsliced, so slice it to the width you want, then halve it top and bottom for two personal size.

I was thinking of buying a frozen pizza crust & adding toppings to it. I was just wondering if it would hold a pizza of that size?

cabletech94
12-31-2020, 04:13 PM
As much as I hate to admit this: I was locked out of Facebook for a few weeks, picked up tik tok (because apparently I’m addicted to social media) and found a ton of foodies posting. There is a fantastic chicken wing recipe. It’ll put hair on your chest!!!

Wings, salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, liquid smoke, and a generous amount of chipotle power. And I do mean a lot!!!
Mix it all together real good. I put a layer of foil down in the fryer. Cook at 375 for 15-20 minutes. It’s amazing.
My fryer isn’t very big, I can cook around 10 to 12 wings at a time, flipping halfway through.
Well worth it.

And ps I got my Facebook back. Praise chiefs us!!

unlurking
12-31-2020, 04:17 PM
Use mine for wings all the time. Cold smoking a few hours ahead of time in winter months is fantastic.

mlyonsd
12-31-2020, 04:18 PM
I was thinking of buying a frozen pizza crust & adding toppings to it. I was just wondering if it would hold a pizza of that size?
I have one a couple of years old that was considered to be large at the time. It's a 6qt. I just measured the bottom of the basket, it's 8.5"x9.5". Not big enough for a regular sized frozen pizza but it should work for a personal pizza.

I have a pizzazz for pizza. Which I like better because I can cook the bottom first to make it crispy and then turn it on dual to cook the top and bottom.

Donger
12-31-2020, 04:29 PM
I'm getting convinced to give this a try. I make Chick Fil A chicken nugget copycats that I fry in peanut oil. What would the process be with an air fryer? Just right into the thing after the flour, egg and breadcrumbs?

Kman34
12-31-2020, 04:32 PM
As much as I hate to admit this: I was locked out of Facebook for a few weeks, picked up tik tok (because apparently I’m addicted to social media) and found a ton of foodies posting. There is a fantastic chicken wing recipe. It’ll put hair on your chest!!!

Wings, salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, liquid smoke, and a generous amount of chipotle power. And I do mean a lot!!!
Mix it all together real good. I put a layer of foil down in the fryer. Cook at 375 for 15-20 minutes. It’s amazing.
My fryer isn’t very big, I can cook around 10 to 12 wings at a time, flipping halfway through.
Well worth it.

And ps I got my Facebook back. Praise chiefs us!!

I use Olive Oil spray to help make things crispy in mine..

mlyonsd
12-31-2020, 04:32 PM
I'm getting convinced to give this a try. I make Chick Fil A chicken nugget copycats that I fry in peanut oil. What would the process be with an air fryer? Just right into the thing after the flour, egg and breadcrumbs?
Yes.

I bought a little spritzer bottle that I put oil in. For something like you're talking about you might want to give it a spray of oil if you're trying to copycat a fried chicken sandwich.

Donger
12-31-2020, 04:35 PM
I put a layer of foil down in the fryer. Cook at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Doesn't the foil interfere a little with the air flow?

Donger
12-31-2020, 04:35 PM
Yes.

I bought a little spritzer bottle that I put oil in. For something like you're talking about you might want to give it a spray of oil if you're trying to copycat a fried chicken sandwich.

Excellent, thanks.

htismaqe
12-31-2020, 04:53 PM
Excellent, thanks.

Spritz a whole potato with oil, add salt and pepper or you favorite seasoning, and pop it in the air fryer. It’s the best “baked” potato you will ever have.

My mother-in-law made some individual serving fruit pies last week and baked them until they were done enough to freeze. We just pop them in the air fryer with a smear of butter to finish them off. So much better than in the oven.

Donger
12-31-2020, 04:58 PM
Sold! Just ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXBMS6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

srvy
12-31-2020, 05:00 PM

This was advertised on sale seems to get good reviews. Seems mostly frozen pizza though I'd get a Pizazz for fresh.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/8f1018cf-2c7d-41b5-bebe-0f2ec96565c4_1.7665cfb2cec1f898aa1bf3804081f592.jpeg?odnWidth=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Betty-Crocker-Pizza-Maker-Red/37222718?irgwc=1&sourceid=imp_WIHzdU1KExyJU7208T289QkFUkEyhuR5T1wW2o0&veh=aff&wmlspartner=imp_10451&clickid=WIHzdU1KExyJU7208T289QkFUkEyhuR5T1wW2o0&sharedid=&ad_id=567111&campaign_id=9383

Third Eye
12-31-2020, 06:07 PM
I literally cook everything in it. The nice thing about air fryers is that you can easily experiment with them. It is practically the only way I will cook vegetables anymore (and I am a vegetarian). I find it really nice for creating a nice "roast" on vegatables whether they are fresh or frozen. Since they are pretty cheap, I would follow some of the advice in the thread and get two (or more, lol); there is also a Ninja air fryer that has two separate compartments, I believe, if you want to stick to one appliance.

One thing that really helps are air fryer accessories so that you can cook foods in the air fryer in different ways. Basically, an air fryer is a compact convection oven so anything you can cook in one of those you can cook faster and more easily in an air fryer.

We just got this model for Christmas, but I haven’t yet tried out cooking different things at the same time. So far I’ve just made double batches of wings and brussel sprouts.

kjwood75nro
12-31-2020, 10:11 PM
I got the type that fits on a 6-quart instant pot.

So far, so good.

Crisps up leftover fried chicken way better than the oven. Great for frozen foods (fries, corn dogs, fish, chicken nuggets). Also works great for crisping up foods that you just cooked in the instant pot (ribs, chicken breasts, sausage).

Frying pot is small, so works for me, but not ideal for a family.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210101/27fc75af948f8656ab43b93d6b858cb9.jpg

chiefzilla1501
12-31-2020, 10:28 PM
Use mine for wings all the time. Cold smoking a few hours ahead of time in winter months is fantastic.

Cooked mine in the oven to drain out some grease then air fried. It was easy and damn good.

CapsLockKey
12-31-2020, 10:54 PM
Ninja foodi grill ftfw! Thing is a certified badassThis. Got an xl grill foodi a couple months ago and I've all but stopped using our other appliances. Grill, bake, air fry this thing rules. Only thing I haven't touched yet is dehydrate.

cabletech94
01-01-2021, 12:02 AM

I dipped chicken breast into an egg wash, then bread crumbs, garlic powder, pepper, salt. 400 degrees for 20 minutes turning over half way. It was amazing.

cabletech94
01-01-2021, 12:04 AM
Doesn't the foil interfere a little with the air flow?

Just a loose layer to keep from sticking. Still enough air flow to get an even cook. Happy new year, btw!!!

Loves ya CP!!!

Dartgod
01-01-2021, 12:15 AM
Wings are still the best thing I've done in mine. Recently I cooked a couple of Cornish game hens in it, they turned out awesome.

arrowheadnation
01-01-2021, 04:59 AM
I have the original Foodi and the Foodi Grill. I have not used my regular oven in over 2 years and I rarely use the microwave. I also don't waste near as much food as I used to. Lemme explain...I'm a single dude, so when I put meat in the freezer, I used to end up throwing it away a couple years down the road because I never could remember to set it out to thaw. With the foodi and foodi grill, you can cook from frozen to ready to eat in like 20 min. I absolutely love the both of them. Also, re-heating stuff like pizza is easier and tastes a shit-ton better than using the microwave.

FlaChief58
01-01-2021, 10:41 AM
My mom gifted me one. I absolutely love it! Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, biscuits, pork chops, fries, etc, etc. I use it probably 3 times a week and it's become my favorite appliance.

unlurking
01-01-2021, 01:57 PM
Cooked mine in the oven to drain out some grease then air fried. It was easy and damn good.
May have to try that tomorrow. My first time cooking whole wings in the air fryer and I expect the tips may burn. Hopefully a pre-cook will minimize that. Wish my fryer were larger though. Not sure how many of these I'll be able to cook at once. Normally just do the separate wing/drummies.

In58men
01-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Just got a Ninja Foodi for Xmas, what are some things I need to try first?

Also, can you do frozen wings? Or do they need tone thawed first?

srvy
01-01-2021, 03:01 PM

Also, can you do frozen wings? Or do they need tone thawed first?

I've done both ways not much difference other than time. Honestly, a couple of minutes on defrost in the microwave will save you some time in the air fryer.

bdj23
01-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Just tried hot pockets in it. Pretty underwhelming tbh... but it's probably more due to hot pockets just aren't that good.

htismaqe
01-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Just tried hot pockets in it. Pretty underwhelming tbh... but it's probably more due to hot pockets just aren't that good.

ROFL

Air fryers are great but they aren’t magic. They can’t turn microwaveable turds into real food.

Baby Lee
01-01-2021, 04:01 PM
I've done both ways not much difference other than time. Honestly, a couple of minutes on defrost in the microwave will save you some time in the air fryer.

Over time, you get a feel for how quickly the convection moves through food.

The key is thickness, particularly with meats/proteins.

Wings and bone-in pork chops are usually fine freezer-->done in the fryer, same for a hamburger if you like it med-rare in the middle.

Something like big chicken breasts or center-cut thick pork chops need a defrost at the beginning or a heat up at the end or it'll be done on the outside and still lukewarm in the middle.

Air fryer and microwave are a good combo, because air fryers crisp quickly and efficiently, and microwaves heat all-over quickly and efficiently. So you can kind of fine tune how much time you spend heating the inside or crisping the outside.

Also, a probe thermo is useful for thick meats. I regularly find those long pork tenderloin products [sometimes marinated, sometimes bacon-wrapped, etc] as a good deal, then I section them at 1" thick planks, enough for a single serving. Since I section them frozen, they keep their portion of the bacon or marinade with each serving. Then I jab the probe in and air-fry along with some form of potatoes or squash or asparagus etc, next to it on the rack [in oven bags to keep the butter/spices from making a mess]. When the probe hits safe for pork level ~145, most everything is done to perfection.

Thicker than 7/8-1" on pork loin frozen, and you'll need to microwave a minute or two at the end to make sure the inside is temp-safe.

bdj23
01-02-2021, 09:16 AM
I also tried a mini red baron frozen pizza (for dinner, separate meal lmao) and that worked out surprisingly well. Good call on that one!

bdj23
01-02-2021, 09:19 AM
I have a pretty good stomach ache right now too

threebag
01-02-2021, 09:41 AM

Decks, siding and furniture?

In58men
01-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Decks, siding and furniture?

FRIG OFF!!!

keg in kc
01-02-2021, 11:55 AM
I got a tiny one for myself a month or so ago, and it's the worst decision I ever made.

Now I'm eating french fries and mozz sticks and chicken nuggets all the time. And they're great.

:LOL:

Buehler445
01-02-2021, 01:57 PM
ROFL Keg.

KChiefs1
01-08-2021, 01:05 PM
Found a great thing to air fry.

Hamburgers!

Hadn’t tried it before & it turned out great!

alpha_omega
01-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Now that we've got two threads on this topic....I might have to investigate.

Nickhead
01-08-2021, 02:14 PM
slap a lil butter on two slices of bread, some ham and cheese: air fryer grilled cheese, flip at mid cook :thumb:

FlaChief58
01-08-2021, 03:28 PM
slap a lil butter on two slices of bread, some ham and cheese: air fryer grilled cheese, flip at mid cook :thumb:

Temp/time?

KChiefs1
01-09-2021, 10:05 AM

That sounds tasty.

MTG#10
01-15-2022, 11:32 AM
We've had a 5.8 qt sitting on our counter for a year. Used it a few times for frozen fries, veggies, etc and honestly was never really blown away with it. Last night I decided to do raw frozen wings, figured I dont use this thing much anyway so if I catch it on fire oh well.

Best damn wings I've ever made other than on my grill. Now I want a larger model for the playoffs as I was only able to fit 20 in there. Any recommendations for one that can fit more than 20? Do the ones that look more like toaster ovens really air fry as well as the pull-out drawer kinds? Money not an issue, I'd rather pay for quality and something that will last.

loochy
01-15-2022, 11:36 AM
We've had a 5.8 qt sitting on our counter for a year. Used it a few times for frozen fries, veggies, etc and honestly was never really blown away with it. Last night I decided to do raw frozen wings, figured I dont use this thing much anyway so if I catch it on fire oh well.

Best damn wings I've ever made other than on my grill. Now I want a larger model for the playoffs as I was only able to fit 20 in there. Any recommendations for one that can fit more than 20? Money not an issue, I'd rather pay for quality and something that will last.

I heard that they cook better if you spray them with a few coats of plasti dip

cabletech94
01-15-2022, 01:51 PM
I heard that they cook better if you spray them with a few coats of plasti dip

This right here,SIR. I will spray the container with PAM, put the wings in, then spray those with PAM.
Also, with my other air fryer that has 3 shelves (man card, waived) I spray each shelf pre cook with PAM. Season, cook, get happy fat(ter).

Kman34
01-15-2022, 01:56 PM
This right here,SIR. I will spray the container with PAM, put the wings in, then spray those with PAM.
Also, with my other air fryer that has 3 shelves (man card, waived) I spray each shelf pre cook with PAM. Season, cook, get happy fat(ter).

I find that spray olive oil works better..

Easy 6
02-05-2022, 06:15 PM
Got an Insignia digital 5 quart for Christmas and I love it

So far only made two batches of wings with it, but wow it does an incredible job on them... I'll never deep fry wings again

This thing consistently kicks them out perfectly cooked to the bone, and the skin is always perfectly rendered and crispy

Definitely need to dig into this thread for other recipes though

My deal came with a mini cookbook but the recipes kinda suck

Easy 6
02-05-2022, 06:23 PM
Baked potatoes are freaking excellent. Brush them with a little olive oil and salt and it's kind of like turning an entire potato into one big steak fry.

Wings are still the best thing I've done in mine. Recently I cooked a couple of Cornish game hens in it, they turned out awesome.

Found a great thing to air fry.

Hamburgers!

Hadn’t tried it before & it turned out great!

See, we're starting to get somewhere here... but how about sharing some time and temp deets :hmmm:

Bob Dole
02-05-2022, 06:34 PM
I don't have an air fryer, but I did a cover of "Schism" with my dog earlier.

https://www.tiktok.com/@morgan.sloat/video/7061365560566648110?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id7043018841370379782

Easy 6
02-05-2022, 06:43 PM
I don't have an air fryer, but I did a cover of "Schism" with my dog earlier.

https://www.tiktok.com/@morgan.sloat/video/7061365560566648110?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id7043018841370379782

LMAO if Burl Ives covered Tool

Bob Dole
02-05-2022, 07:22 PM
LMAO if Burl Ives covered Tool

My goal is to surpass Shatner's 1968 "Transformed Man" album sales.

RustShack
02-05-2022, 07:40 PM
One of my friends claims the best bacon he’s ever had was cooked in an air fryer.

Dartgod
02-06-2022, 12:41 PM
See, we're starting to get somewhere here... but how about sharing some time and temp deets :hmmm:

Cornish game hens are really easy.

• Brush with olive oil and season
• Preheat to 400 degrees
• Cook 25 minutes @ 400, flipping halfway through

Easy 6
02-06-2022, 12:44 PM
Cornish game hens are really easy.

• Brush with olive oil and season
• Preheat to 400 degrees
• Cook 25 minutes @ 400, flipping halfway through

Boom, thank you sir... thats my next project

Pepe Silvia
02-06-2022, 12:44 PM
One of my friends claims the best bacon he’s ever had was cooked in an air fryer.

A BLT sounds good now.

MTG#10
02-06-2022, 01:29 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on this bad boy, just waiting for a coupon code email.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-smart-oven-air-fryer-pro/1060538871?skuId=60538871&mcid=OS_googlepla

Baby Lee
02-06-2022, 07:04 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on this bad boy, just waiting for a coupon code email.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/breville-smart-oven-air-fryer-pro/1060538871?skuId=60538871&mcid=OS_googlepla

Everything I have Breville is a step above everything else [except my Blendtec, though I'm sure the Breville blender is tits as well], expensive as all heck but well worth it. Like having a Rolls Royce on your countertop.

Holladay
02-06-2022, 07:05 PM
I don't have much counter space. Does a convection oven do similar?

Baby Lee
02-06-2022, 07:19 PM
I don't have much counter space. Does a convection oven do similar?

If you're looking to maximize space, a convection oven microwave combo might do pretty good.

As for the tasks they do, neither a combi nor convection is QUITE as aggressive in circulating air as an air fryer. Air fryers are shaped and sized to maximize air circulation. A convection oven is a little more aggressive version of a regular oven, with a fan to move the air around and heat more evenly, but not a 'vortex' of fast-moving air to 'fry' the food.

An air fryer will be smaller and quicker, but a convection oven will do more slower [and be bigger, of course].

Best way to think maybe is like a window air unit in a tiny room and central air in a home, if you stand right in front of a window unit, you get a cold blast of air, but central air will get the whole room just as cool eventually, maybe better overall if the entire area is what you want cooled and not just your face or a tiny room.

unlurking
02-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Boom, thank you sir... thats my next project
Sometimes overlooked tip, start cooking upside down and flip to right side up. That way the skin finishes up nice and crispy. I do ~3lb whole chickens in mine. Coat the whole thing with a buffalo rub.

Dartgod
02-06-2022, 09:41 PM
I don't think I mentioned meatloaf. If you're a fan (the food, not the dead singer), it doesn't get any better than when cooked in an air fryer. I won't do it any other way.

What ever recipe you use, just form it into a loaf and place on parchment paper. It's got to be somewhat firm to do this. I preheat at 390 degrees and then set the loaf on the parchment in the fryer. I cook mine for 25 minutes at 390 degrees then coat with a glaze made of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar and then cook an additional 10 minutes at 390.

It comes out a little crunchy on the outside and juicy inside.

Easy 6
02-06-2022, 09:56 PM
Sometimes overlooked tip, start cooking upside down and flip to right side up. That way the skin finishes up nice and crispy. I do ~3lb whole chickens in mine. Coat the whole thing with a buffalo rub.

I'm listening... its probably been 15 years since my last cornish hen, and this gadget seems custom made to crank one perfectly

Holladay
02-07-2022, 10:30 AM
Best way to think maybe is like a window air unit in a tiny room and central air in a home, if you stand right in front of a window unit, you get a cold blast of air, but central air will get the whole room just as cool eventually, maybe better overall if the entire area is what you want cooled and not just your face or a tiny room.

Good illustration. Thanks.

I have a convection oven. I have bought so many gadgets for the kitchen over the years that I am leery. Most of them reside on a shelf in the basement.

dtrain
02-07-2022, 02:20 PM
You got me too just got this one
https://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Temperature-Heavy-Duty-NEVER-RUST-Rotisserie/dp/B0853CR7LG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=32US1JQWCTQYQ&keywords=nuwave+brio+15.5-quart+large+capacity+air+fryer+oven&qid=1644265188&sprefix=nuwave+%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1B2DRTIRXZUVG&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSU02UlI1UE9PME5CJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzUzMjE3MkNWQ1pSVjA5UjY5RCZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTAyNzQ3MVAyMUNITVdQN1g4TiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

|Zach|
02-07-2022, 06:19 PM
I really enjoy making pork dumplings from Sam's Club in the Air Fryer.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ajinomoto-chicken-potstickers-60-ct/181229

ptlyon
02-07-2022, 07:30 PM
I really enjoy making pork dumplings from Sam's Club in the Air Fryer.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ajinomoto-chicken-potstickers-60-ct/181229

Ooooh that's a good one

|Zach|
02-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Ooooh that's a good one

You will have to take a little time to figure out the best timing and making sure they go evenly but it only takes me 9 mins from frozen and its 60 dumplings for like 10 or 12 bucks. Easy and tasty.

Fat Elvis
03-21-2023, 09:39 PM
https://d1nk8hnup7g8zp.cloudfront.net/articles/cms-5544/m9kecz0wmyoajr6i.jpg