PDA

View Full Version : Life Jeopardy Host Alex Trebek announces he has cancer

O.city
03-06-2019, 04:21 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Alex Trebek announces he has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer: &quot;I&#39;m going to fight this&quot; <a href="https://t.co/EPR7BJzyfA">https://t.co/EPR7BJzyfA</a> <a href="https://t.co/TiI3w3py9B">pic.twitter.com/TiI3w3py9B</a></p>&mdash; CBS News (@CBSNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1103418932164218880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

patteeu
03-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Good luck with the fight, but I’ll go with 8 weeks if there’s a pool.

RunKC
03-06-2019, 04:26 PM
My grandfather had pancreatic cancer. I hate to say this but he’s not going to last long. It’s a terrible thing to witness for the family as well.

Godspeed Alex

threebag
That’s the shits. Wish you well Alex

ptlyon
Hope he paid his colonial Penn premium. Good luck.

O.city
03-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Yeah, pancreatic isn't really anything to mess around with.

Sad to hear.

gblowfish
03-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Man that sucks. My friend Jim won over $30,000 on Jeopardy. He was a week champ back in the 1990s.

Frazod
03-06-2019, 04:30 PM
That sucks. My mother-in-law was diagnosed with that shit in January of 2017, dead eight months later.

srvy
03-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Yuk stage 4 pancreatic cancer I suppose this puts him in deep jeopardy.

Eleazar
03-06-2019, 04:33 PM
There is a rarer form of it that's treatable, I think, but still - very tough diagnosis. Have always liked him and enjoyed the show.

Skyy God
Hope he paid his colonial Penn premium. Good luck.

Lol, that policy pays dick.

Kiimo
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A Message from Alex Trebek: <a href="https://t.co/LbxcIyeTCF">pic.twitter.com/LbxcIyeTCF</a></p>&mdash; Jeopardy! (@Jeopardy) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1103416223331569664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 6, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TomBarndtsTwin
03-06-2019, 04:38 PM
What IS a terrrible shitty disease that kills far too many people?

RollChiefsRoll
03-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Man, that really blows.

ping2000
03-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Fuck cancer.

Dartgod
03-06-2019, 04:41 PM
What is a cancer that is difficult to beat?

Frazod
03-06-2019, 04:45 PM
What is a cancer that is difficult to beat?

This is one of the hardest. IIRC changes of surviving stage four pancreatic are less than 10%.

Prison Bitch
03-06-2019, 04:51 PM
When he goes, I will finally get my first Babbly Lee reference

patteeu
03-06-2019, 04:52 PM
This is one of the hardest. IIRC changes of surviving stage four pancreatic are less than 10%.

He’s “answering” a Jeopardy prompt. :)

JohnnyHammersticks
03-06-2019, 05:16 PM
I hope not to ever have to handle news like that personally, but if I have to, I hope I can handle it the way he just did in that video. Admirable the way he joked about it, in terms of his contract. His sense of humor seemed natural, not like he was forcing it at all. Actually made me laugh. Prayers.

Frazod
03-06-2019, 05:17 PM
He’s “answering” a Jeopardy prompt. :)

Oops

RealSNR
03-06-2019, 05:23 PM
C'mon, Alex. You can't let fucking Bob Barker outlive you.

BigRichard
03-06-2019, 05:28 PM
There is a rarer form of it that's treatable, I think, but still - very tough diagnosis. Have always liked him and enjoyed the show.

Yes, the treatable form was what Steve Jobs got I believe but he went some dipshit holistic route and ended up dead from it anyways. Smart people amaze me.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2019, 05:29 PM
I believe Alex! Fight!

eDave
03-06-2019, 05:29 PM
How does this just pop up as Stage 4? Can it be caught earlier?

Coincidentally, pancreatic cancer is what killed original Jeopardy host Art Fleming.

EDIT: Learned it myself; apparently it's incredibly hard to catch early, as symptoms don't manifest until it's already metastasized. There is no routine screening for pancreatic cancer.

It's gonna be a tough road for him.

Bwana
03-06-2019, 05:44 PM
Oh shit, I hate to see that. Best of luck to you with your fight Alex.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Be a good time for some intermittent fasting to clear that shit up.

Otter
03-06-2019, 06:03 PM
That really sucks. I've always like Alex's persona.

It's been a tough week for celeb news.

Give it hell Alex, I'll be rooting for you! :rockon:

Sassy Squatch
03-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Suck it, cancer. Suck it long, and suck it hard.

Bugeater
03-06-2019, 06:06 PM
My grandfather had pancreatic cancer. I hate to say this but he’s not going to last long. It’s a terrible thing to witness for the family as well.

Godspeed Alex

All of this. Got my father in law 20 years ago.

arrowheadnation
03-06-2019, 06:09 PM
How does this just pop up as Stage 4? Can it be caught earlier?

Coincidentally, pancreatic cancer is what killed original Jeopardy host Art Fleming.

EDIT: Learned it myself; apparently it's incredibly hard to catch early, as symptoms don't manifest until it's already metastasized. There is no routine screening for pancreatic cancer.

It's gonna be a tough road for him.

My mother suddenly began having lower left quadrant (stomach) pain in January of 2013. My dad took her to the ER the same morning. He called me at work that afternoon with the news that I'll never forget, "your mom has a tumor." A little breathless, I said, "where?"..."On her pancreas." I immediately began to shudder and sob. I knew that pancreatic cancer in any form was basically a death sentence. I then recall trying to ask him more questions but she hadn't seen an oncologist yet so not much was known. I hung up the phone with a realization that "normal" was not "normal" any longer. A couple days later it was staged at stage 4. She was only 55 years old and the oncologist and surgeon said that there was a "chance" that the tumor could be removed using the "whipple" maneuver since it was growing on the tail end of the pancreas, but they wouldn't know until they "got in there" and could see it with their own eyes. With the knowledge that the surgery was very risky, she opted to go ahead with it since it was her best chance. The next morning she was in surgery. My father and I as well as 10-15 family members sat in a waiting room for over 6 hours and another 2 hours in a side room once the waiting room closed. It was late in the night and the surgeon entered the room and came over and sat down by my dad and I and explained that he went at it from every direction that he could possibly try but unfortunately the tumor was tied up in some arteries and could not be removed. A room that had been hopeful and optimistic immediately fell to silence and sobbing. At that point, I knew it was over. My dad unfortunately did not. He just knew that cancer was a bad thing. He didn't know that pancreatic cancer was the worst one you could get. I tried to explain it to him when we got home that night but he still seemed optimistic that chemo could fix this. After a week recovery period (the incision went clear across her stomach...over 10 inches). We took her home. A few days later we met with her doctor and oncologist again and had "the talk." The one where they tell you how long you have left. They finally made my dad understand that "normal" as we knew it was gone. They wanted to start her on a chemo regiment to "prolong life as long as possible." They thought they could buy her another 3-6 months with chemo with the outside chance of a miracle, so we tried it. The ensuing 8 months of chemo, trips to the ER with blood clots and scouring the internet for Canadian pharmacies that sold discount blood thinners along with coordinating people to stay with her (thank god for family and friends) was a never ending nightmare. After 4 chemo sessions, she opted to quit. Dad and I didn't begrudge her or try to force her to keep going. At this point we knew it was just more meaningless pain. This wasn't even the worst part though. The final month and a half was spent in a bed in the nursing home that she had worked for for 20+ years. They offered to provide care for free. It was an incredible gesture. The first week or two were pretty rough. A lot of tearful reminiscing and watching TV. One night she noted that she would never knew how one of her favorite TV shows was going to end. It was soul crushing. the final 5-6 weeks were complete hell. Something I'd never wish on anyone. The pain became so bad that they put her on a constant morphine drip. She became a vegetable. She just made incoherent blathering when trying to talk. My dad and I just sat there with her each night because we didn't know what else to do. The night she passed was the worst night of my entire life. You always hear stories of loved ones dying peacefully in their sleep. My mother died a horrific awful death. She basically drowned in her own saliva. It was worse than the funeral. The only redeeming fact was that the pain and suffering was over. She had moved on to heaven with my grandpa and grandma, and for the rest of us left here on earth, the "new normal" had begun. 5 years later, it's still weird.

Prayers to Alex Trebec and his family. I wouldn't wish the coming months on my worst enemy.

chiefzilla1501
03-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Fuck. This one just hits me in the feels. Not Alex.... Ugh.

stevieray
03-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Lost my stepfather to this a year ago

Died one week after diagnosis. Cremated. No service. Just gone...:(

I'll always look up to him...he lived quite a cool life, and helped encourage me when I needed it the most. Died in his home @ the Ozarks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-06-2019, 06:33 PM
That's as bad of a diagnosis as you can get, and for far too good of a person.

SAUTO
03-06-2019, 06:45 PM
My pops had pancreatic cancer. They gave him a couple months with nothing and maybe 2 years if he had the whipple surgery.

He went with the whipple and lasted over 8 years. The doctors were always pretty surprised to see him. And basically got him strung out on oxycontin.

My step mom died suddenly and he lasted 4 months after that.
He was a tough sob

Flying High D
03-06-2019, 06:58 PM
My mother suddenly began having lower left quadrant (stomach) pain in January of 2013. My dad took her to the ER the same morning. He called me at work that afternoon with the news that I'll never forget, "your mom has a tumor." A little breathless, I said, "where?"..."On her pancreas." I immediately began to shudder and sob. I knew that pancreatic cancer in any form was basically a death sentence. I then recall trying to ask him more questions but she hadn't seen an oncologist yet so not much was known. I hung up the phone with a realization that "normal" was not "normal" any longer. A couple days later it was staged at stage 4. She was only 55 years old and the oncologist and surgeon said that there was a "chance" that the tumor could be removed using the "whipple" maneuver since it was growing on the tail end of the pancreas, but they wouldn't know until they "got in there" and could see it with their own eyes. With the knowledge that the surgery was very risky, she opted to go ahead with it since it was her best chance. The next morning she was in surgery. My father and I as well as 10-15 family members sat in a waiting room for over 6 hours and another 2 hours in a side room once the waiting room closed. It was late in the night and the surgeon entered the room and came over and sat down by my dad and I and explained that he went at it from every direction that he could possibly try but unfortunately the tumor was tied up in some arteries and could not be removed. A room that had been hopeful and optimistic immediately fell to silence and sobbing. At that point, I knew it was over. My dad unfortunately did not. He just knew that cancer was a bad thing. He didn't know that pancreatic cancer was the worst one you could get. I tried to explain it to him when we got home that night but he still seemed optimistic that chemo could fix this. After a week recovery period (the incision went clear across her stomach...over 10 inches). We took her home. A few days later we met with her doctor and oncologist again and had "the talk." The one where they tell you how long you have left. They finally made my dad understand that "normal" as we knew it was gone. They wanted to start her on a chemo regiment to "prolong life as long as possible." They thought they could buy her another 3-6 months with chemo with the outside chance of a miracle, so we tried it. The ensuing 8 months of chemo, trips to the ER with blood clots and scouring the internet for Canadian pharmacies that sold discount blood thinners along with coordinating people to stay with her (thank god for family and friends) was a never ending nightmare. After 4 chemo sessions, she opted to quit. Dad and I didn't begrudge her or try to force her to keep going. At this point we knew it was just more meaningless pain. This wasn't even the worst part though. The final month and a half was spent in a bed in the nursing home that she had worked for for 20+ years. They offered to provide care for free. It was an incredible gesture. The first week or two were pretty rough. A lot of tearful reminiscing and watching TV. One night she noted that she would never knew how one of her favorite TV shows was going to end. It was soul crushing. the final 5-6 weeks were complete hell. Something I'd never wish on anyone. The pain became so bad that they put her on a constant morphine drip. She became a vegetable. She just made incoherent blathering when trying to talk. My dad and I just sat there with her each night because we didn't know what else to do. The night she passed was the worst night of my entire life. You always hear stories of loved ones dying peacefully in their sleep. My mother died a horrific awful death. She basically drowned in her own saliva. It was worse than the funeral. The only redeeming fact was that the pain and suffering was over. She had moved on to heaven with my grandpa and grandma, and for the rest of us left here on earth, the "new normal" had begun. 5 years later, it's still weird.

Prayers to Alex Trebec and his family. I wouldn't wish the coming months on my worst enemy.

I’m sorry.

Why Not?
03-06-2019, 08:09 PM

That’s really horrible. I’m sorry for your loss.

mlyonsd
03-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Well damn this sucks. We watch Jeopardy every night.

My MIL died of pancreatic cancer. Not a good way to go.

GloryDayz
03-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Ugh, that sucks! Fight hard Alex...

FUCK CANCER!!!

Buehler445
03-07-2019, 12:08 AM
Fuck cancer.

I don’t know a hell of a lot about Trebeck, but fuck cancer.

1claire
03-07-2019, 12:48 AM
“Normally the prognosis for this is not very encouraging. But I’m going to fight this, and I’m going to keep working, and with the love and support of my family and friends—and with the help of your prayers, also — I plan to beat the low survival-rates statistics for this disease.”

He remains positive despite his sickness.

Demonpenz
03-07-2019, 01:00 AM
I really wish I just wasn't born. Every day just has so much fear and worry. I will pray for a miracle though for him.

PunkinDrublic
03-07-2019, 02:32 AM
Steve Harvey, healthy as a mule.

TwistedChief
03-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Oh gosh. Prayers to you and your family.

Rams Fan
03-07-2019, 09:12 AM
My aunt, grandmother, and grandfather-all on my mother's side-had pancreatic cancer.

My grandfather died well before I was born and my grandmother died when I was a child, so I don't have a lot of memories.

However, I remember aunt battling it. She was diagnosed with it over a decade ago and died within that same year. Seeing how it made her suffer was beyond heart wrenching as there was nothing anyone could do. Seeing how the chemo/meds impacted her also is something I hope never have to see in my life again.My other aunt would come in and out of town to help my mom take care of her. Then it ended up being only my mom in the hospital with her(not my uncle/her husband) when she passed.

:(

**** cancer.

Jewish Rabbi
03-07-2019, 10:25 AM
Make cancer suck it, Trebek.

crashcourse
03-07-2019, 03:09 PM
talk about final jeopardy

Graystoke
03-07-2019, 03:23 PM
This is terrible news.
In my opinion Jeopardy is the best game show with the best game show host.
Good Luck to him

Hoopsdoc
03-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Nothing really to say here except sorry to you and your family.

Iowanian
03-07-2019, 05:00 PM
I'll take "Fuck Cancer for $1000" Alex.

Daily Double Fuck Cancer.

J Diddy
03-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Cancer. Not a big fan.

Stewie
03-07-2019, 05:20 PM
He's 78. About the age something's going to get you... no matter how much money you have.

A sudden Stage 4 in the pancreas is odd. Unknown/sudden Stage 4 is normally bone and hard tissue cancer.

Boon
03-07-2019, 10:30 PM
CANCERSUCKS.

ping2000
03-08-2019, 06:30 AM
I hope cancer gets aids. Fuck you cancer.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-08-2019, 06:47 AM
He's 78. About the age something's going to get you... no matter how much money you have.

A sudden Stage 4 in the pancreas is odd. Unknown/sudden Stage 4 is normally bone and hard tissue cancer.

No, it's not. Pancreatic cancer is almost always found late because people aren't symptomatic until it has metastasized.

Moreover, bone cancer is comparatively rare as a primary site of malignancy, but is among the most common site for mets.

eDave
03-08-2019, 12:16 PM
Relevent:

<iframe width="1519" height="562" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6h0CsPlDQ3I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave
05-01-2019, 11:41 PM
'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek struggling with 'deep sadness' after pancreatic cancer diagnosis

"What I’m not used to [is] dealing with the surges that come on suddenly of deep, deep sadness and it brings tears to my eye. I’ve discovered in this whole episode, ladies and gentlemen, that I’m a bit of a wuss."

"Chemo affects people in different ways and people have to understand that, and that there’s nothing wrong with saying ‘Hey, I’m really depressed today and I don’t know why.'"

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/jeopardy-alex-trebek-deep-sadness-cancer-treatment

Demonpenz
05-01-2019, 11:54 PM
there is nothing wrong with saying that you are depressed exept everyone says stupid shit to you and no one cares

MahiMike
05-02-2019, 06:08 AM
I wonder if the current champion will still be there after Alex is gone.

fan4ever
05-02-2019, 09:49 AM
there is nothing wrong with saying that you are depressed exept everyone says stupid shit to you and no one cares

When my wife and I brought home our handicapped little baby boy from the hospital a lot of friends tried to paint a rosy picture..."God doesn't give you more than you can handle" was a particularly stupid remark. I know their intent was to heal...but c'mon.

My advice is to anyone giving condolences is this; simply say "I can't imagine what you're going through"...even if you can. IMO it's a purer form of sympathy.

My little boy is now 22...and none of my family and friends have any true idea of what's involved in caring for him.

Shaid
05-02-2019, 09:53 AM
When my dad got it he only lasted 3 weeks from the diagnosis. Bad stuff.

Fire Me Boy!
05-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Nevermind.

Baby Lee
05-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Dude may have plum slingshotted past Clint for grit.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_FFXdn1kQro" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TLO
05-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Every time this thread is bumped I assume he's passed. :(

In58men
05-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Who is Alex Trebek?

srvy
05-12-2019, 12:15 PM
You're in Jeopardy now!

Third Eye
05-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Sadly, this.

GloryDayz
05-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Fuck cancer!

RunKC
05-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Wow is he gonna beat this?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/entertainment/alex-trebek-cancer-update/index.html?ofs=fbia

New World Order
05-29-2019, 11:58 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/entertainment/alex-trebek-cancer-update/index.html?ofs=fbia

I think we found the real reptilian solar being

loochy
05-29-2019, 12:57 PM

No. He's 78. Maybe he bought himself a few years.

RealSNR
05-29-2019, 01:13 PM
No. He's 78. Maybe he bought himself a few years.

Pretty much.

I think he'll have enough time to do one more season/year, then announce his retirement. Who knows how long he'll live after that, but it's still great to hear nevertheless that he's made progress that doctors say is very rare.

Groves
05-29-2019, 01:14 PM
I wonder if James adds any gas to his tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Near remission is not remission and remission is not cure.

Stewie
05-29-2019, 05:28 PM
Sounds like positive news. I wish him well.

James is absolutely destroying all records regarding Jeopardy!

A mathematics major at Illinois that didn't like his prospects and went to Vegas to gamble professionally and did very well. The rumor is that he's been banned from a couple of casinos due to his ability to play sports lines. Not sure if that's true.

$2,000.000+ and counting.

GloryDayz
05-29-2019, 06:48 PM
Good for him...

MatriculatingHank
06-03-2019, 02:56 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!
Be careful and don't click on anything about Jeopardy today....

Third Eye
06-03-2019, 03:01 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!
Be careful and don't click on anything about Jeopardy today....

I mean, doesn’t just saying this kind of give it away?

MatriculatingHank
06-03-2019, 03:12 PM
That's the idea...I

Iowanian
06-03-2019, 04:03 PM
One of my poker dealers taped an episode a while,back and will be on next Thursday.

I'll still take "fuck cancer" for $1000, Alex.

scho63
06-03-2019, 04:49 PM
When my wife and I brought home our handicapped little baby boy from the hospital a lot of friends tried to paint a rosy picture..."God doesn't give you more than you can handle" was a particularly stupid remark. I know their intent was to heal...but c'mon.

My advice is to anyone giving condolences is this; simply say "I can't imagine what you're going through"...even if you can. IMO it's a purer form of sympathy.

My little boy is now 22...and none of my family and friends have any true idea of what's involved in caring for him.

I saw it first hand and I give you and your wife all the credit in the world. I could never do it and it has to be so difficult and at times you probably just want to scream out. God Bless your fortitude. :clap:

Baby Lee
03-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Thought you'd like some good news

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y8c_mAxW7QI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>