PDA

View Full Version : Football Jeff Allen praises Antonio Brown

chiefforlife
03-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Chiefs’ Jeff Allen praises Antonio Brown for disrupting the system
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 10, 2019, 2:24 PM EDT
Getty Images

In a league where stars rarely win contract disputes and rarely choose their teams, Antonio Brown did both. Other players are noticing.

Shortly after Brown got his wish of a trade out of Pittsburgh and a new contract, Chiefs offensive lineman Jeff Allen said in a series of tweets that Brown helped show that players can occasionally win a game that is usually won by the owners.

“AB just disrupted a system that’s designed for us to contractually lose in. If you hate it then hate what the other side does everyday,” Allen wrote.

Allen believes that Brown was wise to make waves publicly and force the Steelers’ hand.

“He had to publicly do this to even have a chance of being moved. If he would have quietly tried this which a lot guys do he’d still be in Pittsburgh. Owners can move in silence because they have the power,” Allen wrote.

In Allen’s view, if owners don’t want players to try to force their way out of situations like Brown just did, then owners should guarantee all contracts.

“It’s football you get hurt. It’s a 100% injury rate. I’m fair and honest, you can care about winning along with your check. Guys wouldn’t care about money if contracts were fully guaranteed. AB was already paid he just wasn’t happy in Pittsburgh it’s simple,” Allen wrote. “What does a contract mean when you can get cut after getting hurt while laying your body on the line for your team or cut just because they feel like you aren’t worth what the contract says.”

Allen said he personally wouldn’t do the same thing Brown did, but he knows he doesn’t have the leverage that a four-time first-team All-Pro like Brown has.

“I can’t do what he did, you have to be honest with yourself,” Allen wrote.

At a time when Brown has lost a lot of fans in Pittsburgh, he has surely gained a lot of fans among his fellow players, who are glad to see a player come out ahead in a dispute with his team.

Why Not?
03-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Yeah I’m sure most players are happy to see this.

Most players outside of Pittsburgh, that is.

Hoover
03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Chiefs’ Jeff Allen praises Antonio Brown for disrupting the system

“I can’t do what he did, you have to be honest with yourself,” Allen wrote.

Under statement of the decade

alanm
03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Allen is right though. The holdout in 21 will be over guaranteed contracts. And it's long overdue.

The Franchise
03-10-2019, 12:48 PM
All guaranteed contracts? Then watch as players like Dee Ford don’t get contract offers. Why would I pay big money to someone who only showed up in a contract year?

chiefforlife
03-10-2019, 12:50 PM
I have said in other threads that this has set a bad precedent and I believe this is the beginning of unintentional consequences to come from it.

We have all seen players performance drop off after getting paid. Imagine what would happen if the money was fully guaranteed?
Currently, if the player drops off you have to suffer through it for a year or two depending on how the contract was structured and then cut the guy. This could keep a guy motivated and maintain some leverage.
Fully guaranteed means you ride it out for the full length of the contract, destroying your team for years.

GloucesterChief
03-10-2019, 12:51 PM
I kinda want the players to get fully guaranteed just to see the shock when they are making less money on 1-2 year contracts only with QBs being the only ones to make big money.

Also veterans would be hardest hit as the older you are the more injury prone you are thus less valuable. Being able to show up every game is a pretty valuable thing to have.

GloucesterChief
03-10-2019, 12:53 PM
I have said in other threads that this has set a bad precedent and I believe this is the beginning of unintentional consequences to come from it.

We have all seen players performance drop off after getting paid. Imagine what would happen if the money was fully guaranteed?
Currently, if the player drops off you have to suffer through it for a year or two depending on how the contract was structured and then cut the guy. This could keep a guy motivated and maintain some leverage.
Fully guaranteed means you ride it out for the full length of the contract, destroying your team for years.

That will happen a couple times before teams stop offering long contracts to players other than QBs. You will see contracts go to a shorter time for less base money but more incentive money.

Hoover
All it means is you better have a franchise QB and your GM Breyer beable to draft

The Franchise
Do guaranteed contracts that are based off of a stat tier set by the union.

ChiliConCarnage
03-10-2019, 12:54 PM

I think you'd just see lots of shorter contracts for non-K/P/QB positions

DJ's left nut
03-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Allen is right though. The holdout in 21 will be over guaranteed contracts. And it's long overdue.

A) They can already get guaranteed contracts. Most players simply do not have the negotiating leverage to demand them.
B) The ones that don't have them, effectively get them via signing bonuses anyway.

If players want those guaranteed contracts, they can kiss those massive signing bonuses goodbye. If salary is guaranteed over time, it's just gonna get culled out of the signing bonus anyway. Ultimately it's a matter of accounting tricks and nothing more.

Flying High D
03-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Hey Jeffie poo, what says you about a teammate who is cleared to play but doesn’t feel it his spirit? Ya, you know 1.67 million dollars per tackle teammate.

chiefforlife
03-10-2019, 12:59 PM
A) They can already get guaranteed contracts. Most players simply do not have the negotiating leverage to demand them.
B) The ones that don't have them, effectively get them via signing bonuses anyway.

If players want those guaranteed contracts, they can kiss those massive signing bonuses goodbye. If salary is guaranteed over time, it's just gonna get culled out of the signing bonus anyway. Ultimately it's a matter of accounting tricks and nothing more.

I suppose that is possible and even probable.

My thoughts immediately go to Berry and Houston. We all thought at the time, they were worth the contracts they were given and they were.
A few years later we are looking for any way to get out from under those deals. Imagine if they were fully guaranteed? Yikes

T-post Tom
03-10-2019, 12:59 PM
cut in 3...2...1...

:D

DJ's left nut
03-10-2019, 01:10 PM
I suppose that is possible and even probable.

My thoughts immediately go to Berry and Houston. We all thought at the time, they were worth the contracts they were given and they were.
A few years later we are looking for any way to get out from under those deals. Imagine if they were fully guaranteed? Yikes

If they were, we simply wouldn't have 'dead money' to be dealing with and the $$$ wouldn't be as high either. This is all a question of what they can leverage out of teams. If these guys thought they had the ability to go leverage anything close to what they got in guaranteed money from teams, they'd have never extended for what they did. They'd have played on the tag and gone to the market at some point.

There's not a real practical distinction given the ability of players to get signing bonuses that ARE guaranteed and then are pro-rated over the cap. Teams already aware partial guarantees or guarantee X number of years of salary as it stands.

This won't be the market shifter they think it will, IMO. And it would make teams a hell of a lot more risk-averse. It could easily backfire on them.

Chris Meck
03-10-2019, 01:19 PM
If they were, we simply wouldn't have 'dead money' to be dealing with and the $$$ wouldn't be as high either. This is all a question of what they can leverage out of teams. If these guys thought they had the ability to go leverage anything close to what they got in guaranteed money from teams, they'd have never extended for what they did. They'd have played on the tag and gone to the market at some point.

There's not a real practical distinction given the ability of players to get signing bonuses that ARE guaranteed and then are pro-rated over the cap. Teams already aware partial guarantees or guarantee X number of years of salary as it stands.

This won't be the market shifter they think it will, IMO. And it would make teams a hell of a lot more risk-averse. It could easily backfire on them.

I don't see how it could do anything BUT backfire.

It's going to drive salaries DOWN, not up.

Iconic
03-10-2019, 01:21 PM
I mean wouldn't the owners still win even if guaranteed contracts were the only option? Owners would simply adapt and never hand out long-term deals. The length of each contract would shorten to avoid getting ****ed over by potential injuries. Every player would basically be playing contract to contract, almost like they are on a 1-2 year franchise tag outside of QBs.

Chris Meck
03-10-2019, 01:25 PM
I mean wouldn't the owners still win even if guaranteed contracts were the only option? Owners would simply adapt and never hand out long-term deals. The length of each contract would shorten to avoid getting ****ed over by potential injuries. Every player would basically be playing contract to contract, almost like they are on a 1-2 year franchise tag outside of QBs.

certainly a lot FEWER long term deals. It'd be too much of a risk.

notorious
03-10-2019, 01:40 PM
I think the simple solution to fully guaranteed contracts is that an injured player’s cap hit is void for the games missed.

If a player misses 8 games, the team still has to pay him but the cap hit is only half. Think of our Albatross, Eric Berry. We would still pay him but the cap would have been adjusted to allow us to get a replacement.

I’m sure there are holes in my idea, but it’s a start.

JakeF
03-10-2019, 01:41 PM
So Antonio Brown is pulling a Terrell Owens. Go to a team, sign a contract ... become a distract to force your way out, sign a new contract. It's going to cost Owens a place in the HOF. Hopefully it will cost Brown the same.

Before all the Pro-player fans around here start cheering, do you like that Houston and Berry might be doing the same in KC?

DJ's left nut
03-10-2019, 01:46 PM
I think the simple solution to fully guaranteed contracts is that an injured player’s cap hit is void for the games missed.

If a player misses 8 games, the team still has to pay him but the cap hit is only half. Think of our Albatross, Eric Berry. We would still pay him but the cap would have been adjusted to allow us to get a replacement.

I’m sure there are holes in my idea, but it’s a start.

You'd have savage cap manipulation at that point. I could see it for long-term injuries; maybe guys on the IR. But you'd see 'injuries' that could never be disproven on guys who are just not playing well.

Chief Roundup
03-10-2019, 01:51 PM
It will be interesting to see this all play out with the guaranteed contract situation.
I am not sure how contracts would actually go down as the owners will still have a spending floor requirements. Is this where the teams get expanded and we go to 18 game regular seasons?

Rain Man
03-10-2019, 01:56 PM
So Antonio Brown is pulling a Terrell Owens. Go to a team, sign a contract ... become a distract to force your way out, sign a new contract. It's going to cost Owens a place in the HOF. Hopefully it will cost Brown the same.

Before all the Pro-player fans around here start cheering, do you like that Houston and Berry might be doing the same in KC?

Well, it cost Owens a couple of years of Hall of Fame status.

MIAdragon
03-10-2019, 01:58 PM

Guaranteed contracts are terrible

JakeF
03-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Well, it cost Owens a couple of years of Hall of Fame status.
Point taken, he did get in eventually. The distraction everyone talks about when keeping Owen out is because of all the contract double-dipping he did. They just don't say it.

JakeF
03-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Guaranteed contracts are terrible
Agreed, especially in such an injury-laden sport like football. I doubt the owners will ever agree to it. If they ever do put it into the CBA it will be the end to contracts longer than 2-3 years.

Titty Meat
But CP told us Brown was a cancer

KChiefs1

TO is in the HOF.

staylor26
03-10-2019, 02:06 PM

LMAO and how the fuck does this disprove that?

Flying High D
03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
https://www.bankrate.com/lifestyle/celebrity-money/terrell-owens-net-worth/

Terrell Owens made $80 million now his net worth is $0.00.

dlphg9
03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
"Guys wouldn’t care about money if contracts were fully guaranteed."

Oh I bet theyd care when the only offers they're getting are for a couple of years for a few million a year. All these issues that these guys are having are their own damn fault. The idiots gave all the power to Roger and the ownets, but they dont have to practice as much and dont have two-a-days anymore! They did **** over the rookies, but that actually did benefit the vets.

I cant wait to see how long the next hold out is and who wins those negotiations. Hopefully the players get someone good to negotiate for them.

DJ's left nut
03-10-2019, 02:46 PM
LMAO and how the fuck does this disprove that?

Hey, the Raiders are pretty careful about who they'll bring into their locker-room.

They won't go acquiring just ANY washed, high priced veterans.

kcxiv
03-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Terrell is already in the HOF! lol

JakeF
03-10-2019, 03:25 PM
TO is in the HOF.Oh that's right, I forgot. He pouted because he didn't get in the 1st year so he had his own HOF party. ROFL

PAChiefsGuy
03-10-2019, 03:41 PM
Goddamn players always bitching about something. Stfu already you get paid more than fair for what you do.

wazu
03-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Hey, Jeff, if you’re reading this: Might want to cool it with the Antonio Brown endorsements until you at least have a job of your own.

TEX
03-10-2019, 04:42 PM

He is. He's going to the Raiders so it doesn't matter. Many types of cancer there already...

dlphg9
03-10-2019, 05:17 PM

I dont think hes a cancer at all. I think Pittsburgh's problems start with the their rapist QB. Ive heard several times from different national sports talk radio people that AB is a guy thats constantly in the gym and working hard to make himself better and Rothelisberger is a lazy sack of shit that does nothing to better himself. AB gets pissed at how much the organization slobs on Rapeyboogers knob even though hes a shitty leader and is a lazy fat shit.

Im glad that Gruden decided to trade away Khalil Mack just to trade for and give a bigger deal to AB. I think Rapey made AB look much better than he actually is and AB is going to be trash in Oakland. So haha fuckin idiot Raiders.

Chris Meck
03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
I dont think hes a cancer at all. I think Pittsburgh's problems start with the their rapist QB. Ive heard several times from different national sports talk radio people that AB is a guy thats constantly in the gym and working hard to make himself better and Rothelisberger is a lazy sack of shit that does nothing to better himself. AB gets pissed at how much the organization slobs on Rapeyboogers knob even though hes a shitty leader and is a lazy fat shit.

Im glad that Gruden decided to trade away Khalil Mack just to trade for and give a bigger deal to AB. I think Rapey made AB look much better than he actually is and AB is going to be trash in Oakland. So haha ****in idiot Raiders.

I think ALL THREE are assholes, just in different ways. Except ARROGANCE, they've all got that in spades.

Iowanian
03-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Cut him.

Tonight.

JakeF
03-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Raiders do this stuff all the time. Amari Cooper, Khalil Mack > Brown ??

Chiefshrink
03-10-2019, 09:07 PM
And the funny thing is this whole AB Diva fit wasn't about $$/contract it was really about Ben finding another mistress in JuJu even though AB still put up the most TDs in the League.:LOL: AB is done!! No way Carr even comes close to Ben in production.

Titty Meat
03-10-2019, 09:18 PM
He is. He's going to the Raiders so it doesn't matter. Many types of cancer there already...

Who?

WhiteWhale
03-10-2019, 09:24 PM

Im glad that Gruden decided to trade away Khalil Mack just to trade for and give a bigger deal to AB. I think Rapey made AB look much better than he actually is and AB is going to be trash in Oakland. So haha ****in idiot Raiders.

True, but Ben didn't quit on his team. AB did.

Let's also remember this is a guy who complained about not getting the ball after a game in which he was targeted 19 times.

I don't think this works out the way Brown thinks it will.

RINGLEADER
03-10-2019, 10:26 PM
Alex Smith is the poster child for how guaranteed money can go wrong. That franchise is screwed because of that contract and likely won’t be competitive again for a couple years.

Buehler445
03-10-2019, 11:35 PM
Cut him.

Tonight.

I think he was on a 1 year deal in 2018. Sooooooo.....

Buehler445
03-10-2019, 11:36 PM
Alex Smith is the poster child for how guaranteed money can go wrong. That franchise is screwed because of that contract and likely won’t be competitive again for a couple years.

Kirk Cousins says, "Don't mind me, I'm just doing my thing over here."

booger
03-11-2019, 12:22 AM
I think he was on a 1 year deal in 2018. Sooooooo.....

Yeah he’s a FA but maybe he meant cut in a different way like circumsize him tonight? It’s possible I suppose that’s what he meant maybe? I know I’m not the only one who occasionally reads posts like that and thinks that

Marcellus
03-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Kirk Cousins says, "Don't mind me, I'm just doing my thing over here."

Actually Cousin's contract us exactly what guaranteed contracts will/do look like. Good money but only 3 or 4 year deals.

Buehler445
03-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Yeah he’s a FA but maybe he meant cut in a different way like circumsize him tonight? It’s possible I suppose that’s what he meant maybe? I know I’m not the only one who occasionally reads posts like that and thinks that

Fair enough. My bad. :D

Buehler445
03-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Actually Cousin's contract us exactly what guaranteed contracts will/do look like. Good money but only 3 or 4 year deals.

Right, but it's a terrible contract, the Vikings (fans anyway) want the fuck out and know they can do fucking fuck all about it. It's a really bad look for a team that was a play away from the NFCCG with goddamned Case Keenum the year before.

Teams can look at that and imagine themselves in a similar situation with a player on their team. Seems to me like that's a worst case scenario for the players union if they are going to try to push guaranteed contracts.

booger
03-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Fair enough. My bad. :D

With so many people losing an eyelid these days it really is a good cause

Pitt Gorilla
03-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Cut him.

Tonight.

Cut who?

htismaqe
03-11-2019, 09:55 AM
True, but Ben didn't quit on his team. AB did.

Why would Ben quit on a team that has given him everything he wants and more? He might as well be part owner, they treat him like a favored son.