PDA

View Full Version : Football FA Question - the last time a "highest paid ever" worked out...

Vegas_Dave
03-11-2019, 02:05 PM
As we start to see these various contracts roll in during FA and the offseason where guys become the "Highest Paid Player Ever" at a position... I started wondering when was the last time that said player lived up to the contract?

Obviously, I think Chiefs fans have Eric Berry and Justin Houston, each became the highest paid player in NFL history at their respective positions when they signed their deals and we all know, didn't live up to it (or anywhere close for that matter).

So when was the last time that the "HPPE" contract actually worked, for ANY team?

Sully
03-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Watt?

Best22
03-11-2019, 02:07 PM
2020 Chiefs

Kiimo
03-11-2019, 02:07 PM
Khalil Mack lookin good so far

FloridaMan88
03-11-2019, 02:08 PM
When Mahomes gets his $200 million contract.

Kman34
03-11-2019, 02:09 PM

This.. I hope..

Vegas_Dave
03-11-2019, 02:11 PM

Well and Hill's upcoming one as well...

chiefforlife
03-11-2019, 02:12 PM
Aron Donald comes to mind.

Vegas_Dave
03-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Aron Donald comes to mind.

1 year in to it... If he plays like that for a few more seasons, then sure.

RealSNR
03-11-2019, 02:16 PM
What's the measure of "worked out"?

Does it have to be win a Super Bowl? Play all their games? Have stats that consistently rank in the top echelon for their position?

Tyron Smith for the Cowboys has done pretty damn well for them. Adrian Peterson signed the top RB contract for a time with Minnesota. Tony Gonzalez with KC. Antonio Gates after that.

It's tough to point to Super Bowl winners who have those contracts because it's either the Patriots or a team with a QB on a rookie deal who usually wins it all.

I can see KC passing on quite a few of these extensions we're giving out once our defense gets rebuilt with young players who don't suck, but in the meantime, we can't exactly afford to let Hill walk like the Patriots do with their WRs when our defense isn't close to being as good as theirs.

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
It doesn't. That's why they are overpaid and why it's stupid. If the greedy stars would be content with amounts like, $20 million per year for a quarterback or $15 million per year for a pass rusher, then the teams could add more high quality pieces to improve the team as a whole. Like the Patriots do. Brady isn't close to the best paid quarterback. Never has been. Who on the team has ever been highest paid at their position? And all they've done is go to 9 Superbowls and win 6. People talk about the Patriot way, but nobody practices it when it comes to player salaries . Subsequently, nobody can touch the Patriots success. Look at all of the fails. Houston, Berry, Cousins, Bradford, the list goes on for miles. These stupid contracts never pay off. Yet teams just keep paying it. The definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result. Here's an idea. Avoid any player that demands to be the best paid in the league at their position.(except quarterback and even then it better be a future HOF not Sam Bradford).

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Aaron Donald. Guy will possibly be the best defensive player wver

Vegas_Dave
03-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Does it have to be win a Super Bowl? Play all their games? Have stats that consistently rank in the top echelon for their position?

Tyron Smith for the Cowboys has done pretty damn well for them. Adrian Peterson signed the top RB contract for a time with Minnesota. Tony Gonzalez with KC. Antonio Gates after that.

It's tough to point to Super Bowl winners who have those contracts because it's either the Patriots or a team with a QB on a rookie deal who usually wins it all.

I can see KC passing on quite a few of these extensions we're giving out once our defense gets rebuilt with young players who don't suck, but in the meantime, we can't exactly afford to let Hill walk like the Patriots do with their WRs when our defense isn't close to being as good as theirs.

True - and maybe there isnt a great analytic for this... SB isnt the metric, but rather overall performance at the position over a majority of the contract's money years. So while they might be "good", are they performing like the "best" at the position over the money years of the contract?

Houston when he was healthy was by no means bad, but wasnt dominant compared to others at the same position... but when you then add on all of the health issues...

ThaVirus
03-11-2019, 02:23 PM
It doesn't. That's why they are overpaid and why it's stupid. If the greedy stars would be content with amounts like, $20 million per year for a quarterback or $15 million per year for a pass rusher, then the teams could add more high quality pieces to improve the team as a whole. Like the Patriots do. Brady isn't close to the best paid quarterback. Never has been. Who on the team has ever been highest paid at their position? And all they've done is go to 9 Superbowls and win 6. People talk about the Patriot way, but nobody practices it when it comes to player salaries . Subsequently, nobody can touch the Patriots success. Look at all of the fails. Houston, Berry, Cousins, Bradford, the list goes on for miles. These stupid contracts never pay off. Yet teams just keep paying it. The definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over hoping for a different result. Here's an idea. Avoid any player that demands to be the best paid in the league at their position.(except quarterback and even then it better be a future HOF not Sam Bradford).

"Greedy players" lol

You truly are a stupid motherfucker.

MarkDavis'Haircut
03-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Red Grange

Kiimo
03-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Small town Missouri? Check. Calling players greedy for getting the most money they can? Check. Most likely a racist ass smalltown redneck? Check.

O.city
03-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Pretty sure that's false.

You not a fan of capitalism?

Buehler445
03-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Manning worked out when he was the highest paid.

ptlyon
03-11-2019, 02:38 PM
1 year in to it... If he plays like that for a few more seasons, then sure.

I'd think he's probably still pissed about the SB

RealSNR
03-11-2019, 02:41 PM

It's not like the "Just let players walk and keep drafting well" model is some mystery to NFL GMs that they can't figure out.

The problem of ballooning salaries exacerbates when just one GM gives money to a player greater than that player's actual worth to the team. That happens dozens of times every year for all kinds of reasons. Maybe the team is "close" and just needs to get over the hump by getting that one hole on the roster filled. Maybe they've been in rebuild mode for a couple seasons and have to pay X amount of dollars just to meet the floor for spending, so they choose to splurge on a player. Maybe the pressure is on them from fans/ownership to do something flashy in free agency so it looks like they're actively trying to fix team problems as quickly as possible. Also, the allure of trying the free agent market is so tempting to players that if GMs want those players to stick around, they often have to give them "Highest contract for a _______" deals in order to keep them happy with staying on the team.

Take Kansas City. We've at some point fallen into that trap for all of those reasons in the past 10 years or so. And that's just us with our assortment of GMs in that time. You get "hands on" owners like Jerruh or Dan Snyder in on this, and a lot of weird shit can happen.

Chief Pagan
03-11-2019, 02:41 PM

How about, would the team still sign that contract if they had the chance to do it over.

Which is subjective to be sure, but it's also the most important.

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 02:46 PM
"Greedy players" lol

You truly are a stupid mother****er.

SMH. Let me explain this on a 3rd grade level so that maybe you can comprehend it. The cap is nearly $200 million. There are 53 players that get a piece of that. That averages out to, for easy math let's round to $4 million per player. If you have, say a QB getting $30 million and a pass rusher getting $20 million and a CB getting $15 million and a WR getting $15 million, that's $80 million, or 40% of the cap going to 4 players with $120 million, or 60% going to the other 49. Suddenly, their share is down to approximately $2 million each, or half. Not because of the cap. But because the 4 stars got greedy. Some of you say to increase the cap. That'll fix it. No it won't. The cap went up last CBA. The lower tier players are still making about the same. It's the greedy too end players demanding more money than they can possibly ever spend that are taking money from the other players.

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Small town Missouri? Check. Calling players greedy for getting the most money they can? Check. Most likely a racist ass smalltown redneck? Check.

Where the hell did the racist bullshit come from?? Is that you're lame excuse if a response because you're too danged stupid to come up with a real argument? Oh wait. I see that it's Kimosabi posting. I already know the answer to that question. Of course you are.

And for the record, no. I don't have a racist bone in my body. You suck at stereotyping. Maybe you should quit. You look stupid enough when you post without trying that.

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 03:01 PM

I'm a big fan of capitalism. You can have capitalism without being greedy. I am just stating that asking for more money than you could ever spend is greedy.

As for Brady. He may have been highest paid at some point. But he has consistently played for way less than he could have gotten. I found this article saying that he could have made as much as an additional $100 million over his career but at least $60 million if he had demanded it. The NFL needs more selfless players like Brady. Here's the article link. I will post part of it. It's pretty long.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

The New England Patriots have ruled the NFL for two decades in a way no other team in league history ever has.

A big part of that has been finding a legendary quarterback in Tom Brady, who not only has dominated on the field but has sacrificed to put his team in a good position.

Brady has made plenty of money in his NFL career - about $197 million - but what if he had not taken less or restructured contracts over the course of his career to help the Patriots out? Brady would be a richer man, and perhaps the highest-paid player in NFL history.

If Brady consistently signed deals equal to those of the biggest quarterback contracts, we found he could have made $257.9 million to this date. That is about $60 million more than his actual earnings, and approximately $9 million more than Peyton Manning made in his career, the most in NFL history

tyton75
03-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Dr. Larry was looking good until the injury

sedated
03-11-2019, 03:09 PM

I'm sure JJ turned down his last pay increase because someone else at his company wasn't getting paid as much as he was

:rolleyes:

O.city
03-11-2019, 03:34 PM
I'm a big fan of capitalism. You can have capitalism without being greedy. I am just stating that asking for more money than you could ever spend is greedy.

As for Brady. He may have been highest paid at some point. But he has consistently played for way less than he could have gotten. I found this article saying that he could have made as much as an additional $100 million over his career but at least $60 million if he had demanded it. The NFL needs more selfless players like Brady. Here's the article link. I will post part of it. It's pretty long.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7

The New England Patriots have ruled the NFL for two decades in a way no other team in league history ever has.

A big part of that has been finding a legendary quarterback in Tom Brady, who not only has dominated on the field but has sacrificed to put his team in a good position.

Brady has made plenty of money in his NFL career - about $197 million - but what if he had not taken less or restructured contracts over the course of his career to help the Patriots out? Brady would be a richer man, and perhaps the highest-paid player in NFL history.

If Brady consistently signed deals equal to those of the biggest quarterback contracts, we found he could have made $257.9 million to this date. That is about $60 million more than his actual earnings, and approximately $9 million more than Peyton Manning made in his career, the most in NFL history

How is getting paid what the markets says you're worth being greedy?

The Franchise
03-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Brady is selfless. ROFL

You do realize that he's going to be getting money from that organization for the rest of his life right?

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 03:37 PM
How is getting paid what the markets says you're worth being greedy?

If it's more money than you will ever spend, then why would you want/need it?? That's why it's greedy.

loochy
03-11-2019, 03:38 PM
If it's more money than you will ever spend, then why would you want/need it?? That's why it's greedy.

But for a lot of guys, it's NOT more than they will ever spend.

Reference - Allen Iverson

O.city
03-11-2019, 03:38 PM

That type of money that secures your family for generations? I have no idea why you'd want/ need it.

Plus who are you to determine how much you can spend or want? How very communist of you.

The Franchise
03-11-2019, 03:39 PM

To set up your family for the future?

Mahomer
03-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Fans just don't get it. When players get overpaid it's strictly with the understanding that past results will likely never be seen fully. They are getting $$$ for what they've accomplished on the field to date.

View their new rich contracts as bonuses for what they've done so far. So for fans to expect these same players to keep that same level of performance for the entirety of their new contract is just ridiculous. The way the league works is, you pay guys that have proven their worth, period.

Would you ppl that complain want teams to just pay guys with potential (before they prove it on the field) a ****ton of money??

Do you want to know how many of those contracts would end up working??

Zero.

Ya ya, it's not fair that teamB will have to overpay player1 for stuff he did for teamA but that's the way it works. When teamB drafts player2 and he proves it on the field and walks in FA to sign a mega-rich contract with teamC, teamB benefited from player2's performance before his rich contract from teamC. So the system works.

I mean all that cap space has to go to someone. Would you guys prefer it go to unproven players or the guys that actually busted their butts and proved it on the field?

Deberg_1990
03-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Every players situation is different. Brady can play for less money because he gets money from endorsements outside of football and his wife is filthy rich too

I also suspect he gets money under the table or has been promised a piece of the franchise later in life.

MTG#10
03-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Where the hell did the racist bullshit come from?? Is that you're lame excuse if a response because you're too danged stupid to come up with a real argument? Oh wait. I see that it's Kimosabi posting. I already know the answer to that question. Of course you are.

And for the record, no. I don't have a racist bone in my body. You suck at stereotyping. Maybe you should quit. You look stupid enough when you post without trying that.
Only thing more pathetic than a racist is a dipshit falsely accusing people of racism where it doesn't exist. Kiimosabi's name should be changed to Jussie.

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 05:12 PM
To set up your family for the future?

Oh gee. You're right. There's no way that $100 million dollars over 5 years would set your family up for the future. SMH. Any family would be setup for generations on the interest alone!

saphojunkie
03-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Oh gee. You're right. There's no way that $100 million dollars over 5 years would set your family up for the future. SMH. Any family would be setup for generations on the interest alone!

What is fucking disingenuous about this point of view is that you aren't asking the OWNERS to increase the salary cap, or the minimum, or to take the top five salaries out of the salary cap equation. Or to guarantee all contracts so players don't have to hold out for new ones.

You aren't asking the white billionaires to take less so the team can be competitive.

THAT'S why people hear arguments like this and immediately think of the inherent racism ascribed to it. You're singling out the athletes as the only ones responsible for taking less.

Amazon is going to have layoffs - how dare those programmers not take $175k a year instead of $285k a year! If they just were less greedy, we wouldn't be laying off a whole department!

What? What about Jeff Bezos? No, he should get as much as possible. Only the workers should take less. Ownership should maximize profit.

Rasputin
03-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Most if not all athletes work out some even flipped rocks at the bottom of the ocean but that doesn't mean they "worked out" .

jjchieffan
03-11-2019, 05:44 PM
What is ****ing disingenuous about this point of view is that you aren't asking the OWNERS to increase the salary cap, or the minimum, or to take the top five salaries out of the salary cap equation. Or to guarantee all contracts so players don't have to hold out for new ones. And, I don't see any players paying $2 billion for a team, like the Panthers owner did or spend $1 billion on a stadium.

You aren't asking the white billionaires to take less so the team can be competitive.

THAT'S why people hear arguments like this and immediately think of the inherent racism ascribed to it. You're singling out the athletes as the only ones responsible for taking less.

Amazon is going to have layoffs - how dare those programmers not take $175k a year instead of $285k a year! If they just were less greedy, we wouldn't be laying off a whole department!

What? What about Jeff Bezos? No, he should get as much as possible. Only the workers should take less. Ownership should maximize profit.

The owners are already splitting the money nearly 50/50. The cap is 48.5%. And, as I said, raising the cap doesn't help the average player. It just makes the stupid contracts get bigger.

Also, did any players have to sell their stuff like the Robbie family did to pay inheritance taxes? Did any players pay $2 billion to buy the team like the Panthers did? Did any players spend $1 billion to build a stadium like Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke(sp?)? Or How about the Money that the Hunts kicked in on the Stadium upgrades? Yeah. That's what I thought. Sounds like the players have a very fair portion.

KChiefs1
03-11-2019, 06:18 PM

Double that.

Red Dawg
03-11-2019, 06:20 PM
Only if it leads to a SB title.

Chiefaholic
03-11-2019, 06:54 PM

From Commiefornia? Check. Calling person racist based upon location they live? Check. Most likely a liberal minded Democrat incapable of making decisions without the aid of CNN? Check.

Chiefaholic
03-11-2019, 06:58 PM
On a side note... I have no problem with a player getting all the money he can over the course of his normally brief NFL career. It's up to teams to hire the best coaching staff to get the best out of their second and third tier players (aka Patriots) to win championships.

MarkDavis'Haircut
03-11-2019, 08:47 PM
The owners are already splitting the money nearly 50/50. The cap is 48.5%. And, as I said, raising the cap doesn't help the average player. It just makes the stupid contracts get bigger.

Also, did any players have to sell their stuff like the Robbie family did to pay inheritance taxes? Did any players pay $2 billion to buy the team like the Panthers did? Did any players spend $1 billion to build a stadium like Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke(sp?)? Or How about the Money that the Hunts kicked in on the Stadium upgrades? Yeah. That's what I thought. Sounds like the players have a very fair portion.

Inheritance taxes make me sick. The state has no right to that money.

DRM08
03-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Gronkowski is the highest paid tight end in the league. But that works with Belichick's philosophy since tight end market tops out at around $10m, whereas other positions (WR, EDGE, QB) can go north of $20m.