PDA

View Full Version : Royals *** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Mama Hip Rockets
03-28-2019, 08:06 AM
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund

Iczer
03-28-2019, 08:16 AM
first, feels good

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-28-2019, 08:18 AM
World Series champs!!

Jerok
03-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Here's to hoping Mondesi can become a star shortstop and help bring us to another World Series in a few years.

We have a bit of talent in the minors, seemingly more than on our majors, as the Omaha Storm Chasers beat the KC Royals 3 to 2. But there is some MLB level talent on our roster. We have a lot of speed, but as they say, you can't steal first base. I predict 66-96.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-28-2019, 08:46 AM
Here's to hoping Mondesi can become a star shortstop and help bring us to another World Series in a few years.

We have a bit of talent in the minors, seemingly more than on our majors, as the Omaha Storm Chasers beat the KC Royals 3 to 2. But there is some MLB level talent on our roster. We have a lot of speed, but as they say, you can't steal first base. I predict 66-96.

Their arrow is definitely pointing up.

big nasty kcnut
03-28-2019, 08:50 AM
In it to win it.

loochy
03-28-2019, 09:04 AM
In it to win it.

LOL. With that roster, not really.

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-28-2019, 09:04 AM
73-89, the rotation will be a disaster... the lineup will be surprisingly better than expecting.

BryanBusby
03-28-2019, 09:06 AM
100 losses. Lets be real guys.

OKchiefs
03-28-2019, 09:07 AM
68-94

cabletech94
03-28-2019, 09:29 AM
first page!!!!

Simplicity
03-28-2019, 09:32 AM
We win the central this year

ChiTown
03-28-2019, 09:52 AM
wins = low to mid 60's.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-28-2019, 10:36 AM
The roster is finally out.

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund

Source: https://www.royalsreview.com/2019/3/28/18280447/here-is-your-royals-2019-opening-day-roster

Mama Hip Rockets
03-28-2019, 10:37 AM
Bold prediction: This bullpen might not be that bad.

Mama Hip Rockets
03-28-2019, 10:39 AM
If Duffy is on the injured list, who is going to be in the rotation? There are two open spots, according to that roster.

KCUnited
03-28-2019, 10:41 AM
Chris Owingetz?

KCCHIEFS27
03-28-2019, 10:48 AM
Starting the season with Keller, Junis, and Lopez. They'll go through that rotation twice before letting another pitcher, Homer Bailey, start. Not sure what they do after that.

Jerok
03-28-2019, 10:48 AM
If Duffy is on the injured list, who is going to be in the rotation? There are two open spots, according to that roster.

Royals don't need a 5 man until April 10th or sometime around there,

ChiTown
03-28-2019, 10:49 AM

Scott Barlow is one, not sure who will be #5

TribalElder
03-28-2019, 11:28 AM
is this on fox sports midwest or what?

duncan_idaho
03-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Let’s do this...

And by do this, I mean see the young players in the majors progress and closely watch the performance of guysnin the minors.

BWillie
03-28-2019, 12:02 PM
Has the game been called yet?

CasselGotPeedOn
03-28-2019, 12:31 PM
Chris Owingetz?

The new Alcides. Ned is gonna trip over himself trying to get this guy into the lineup everyday.

DeepSouth
03-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Chris Owingetz?
Not that spring training means anything but Owings had decent batting stats this spring.

with 51 at bats,
Avg = .333
HR = 4
OPS = .815

DeepSouth
03-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Scott Barlow is one, not sure who will be #5
The Royals have indicated Homer Bailey will be added as the 4th starter. Either Yost or DMoore indicated that either Duffy or Fillmyer would be added as the 5th depending on Duffy's health.

OKchiefs
03-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Danny Duffy, another horrendous contract given out. That timespan when large contracts were given out to Gordon, Duffy, and Kennedy is regrettable. It will be nice here in a few years when we hopefully double our yearly payout from the TV contract and these 3 are gone. Depending on the progression of the current youngsters in both the majors and minors we should have the flexibility and ammunition to make some key additions around 2021-2022.

Prison Bitch
03-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Danny Duffy, another horrendous contract given out. That timespan when large contracts were given out to Gordon, Duffy, and Kennedy is regrettable. It will be nice here in a few years when we hopefully double our yearly payout from the TV contract and these 3 are gone. Depending on the progression of the current youngsters in both the majors and minors we should have the flexibility and ammunition to make some key additions around 2021-2022.

I said trade Duffman after year 1 but nobody here agreed. The just love his cute and cuddly and goofy personality too much

duncan_idaho
03-28-2019, 01:20 PM
The Royals signed Duffy to his extension coming off a nearly 4-win season, with a year to go before he hit free agency.

It was his second time in three years performing at that level. They took a risk on him and it has gone wrong so far. Had he balled out again in 17, they would have been looking at a much bigger deal or him walking.

In hindsight, it’s easy to look at it and say it’s a bad bet. In the moment, the Royals were still trying to win in 17. The extension occurred a week before Yordano Ventura’s death.

Had that not occurred, the Royals would have had the top two spots in their rotation set with homegrown guys at reasonable prices for the next half-decade.

It’s ironic. For decades, Royals fans complained about being cheap and not re-signing players. The Royals finally re-sign some stars or make some big spends, and things go sideways on every one.

OKchiefs
03-28-2019, 01:24 PM
The Royals signed Duffy to his extension coming off a nearly 4-win season, with a year to go before he hit free agency.

It was his second time in three years performing at that level. They took a risk on him and it has gone wrong so far. Had he balled out again in 17, they would have been looking at a much bigger deal or him walking.

In hindsight, it’s easy to look at it and say it’s a bad bet. In the moment, the Royals were still trying to win in 17. The extension occurred a week before Yordano Ventura’s death.

Had that not occurred, the Royals would have had the top two spots in their rotation set with homegrown guys at reasonable prices for the next half-decade.

It’s ironic. For decades, Royals fans complained about being cheap and not re-signing players. The Royals finally re-sign some stars or make some big spends, and things go sideways on every one.

You're right, it's not entirely fair to criticize the contract. By itself I would have just chalked it up to bad luck. My issue is with the three contracts as a whole. That's a lot of money tied up on three players whom haven't come even close to living up to the value of the contract.

duncan_idaho
03-28-2019, 01:30 PM
You're right, it's not entirely fair to criticize the contract. By itself I would have just chalked it up to bad luck. My issue is with the three contracts as a whole. That's a lot of money tied up on three players whom haven't come even close to living up to the value of the contract.

Critiques of the Kennedy contract were immediate. I thought it would work out better, based on the way flyball pitchers had fared for KC in recent past. It obviously has been a huge disaster.

Criticizing that is fair.

Have to apply context to the other two deals, IMO. Gordon’s team with KC was shorter and lighter than predicted when FA opened, and shorter and lighter than what the White Sox offered. No one saw his 2016 dive off the cliff coming (maybe this year, the last of the deal, but not right away). He bottomed out the aging curve early.

Just said my piece on Duffy. They bet and lost on him (so far).

Dartgod
03-28-2019, 01:34 PM
The Royals signed Duffy to his extension coming off a nearly 4-win season...

:spock:

Sully
03-28-2019, 01:37 PM
:spock:

WAR, I'm assuming

Dartgod
03-28-2019, 02:49 PM
WAR, I'm assuming

Ahhh, makes sense. He was 3.7 WAR in 2016.

carcosa
03-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Dayton needs to get off his ass and sign Kimbrel!!! Kuechel too!!!!! Why the fuck not????

cosmo20002
03-28-2019, 08:38 PM
Went to the game tonight...remaining crowd was really getting pissed going needing to go through 4 pitchers in the 9th. Made me think how "interesting" it's going to be next year when pitchers have to go 3 batters. Bad bullpens are going to get demolished and embarassed.

Bowser
03-28-2019, 08:51 PM
Went to the game tonight...remaining crowd was really getting pissed going needing to go through 4 pitchers in the 9th. Made me think how "interesting" it's going to be next year when pitchers have to go 3 batters. Bad bullpens are going to get demolished and embarassed.

It was pretty damned annoying watching Keller go seven strong only to have the bullpen come in and bumblefuck up the ninth. Got the last out with the bases loaded, the dipshits.

A win is a win, but yeeesh. Close a game, FFS.

Willie Lanier
03-28-2019, 08:59 PM

Good lord man you could find a flaw in a perfect sunset

Yes those contracts look bad; and I have at no point claimed to possess even adequate baseball knowledge; but come on man, I think most rational royals fans are well aware that this is most likely a lost season...

There's absolutely no reason to defecate all over any little spark of enthusiasm

Prison Bitch
03-28-2019, 09:28 PM
31k opening day

Concern?

Why Not?
03-28-2019, 09:35 PM
31k opening day

Concern?

On a rainy day with an hour and 45 minute delay?

Nah.

Chiefspants
03-28-2019, 11:19 PM
WINNING RECORD

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Tied for first place bitches!!

BWillie
03-29-2019, 12:26 AM

Wat

They are really going to do that?

kysirsoze
03-29-2019, 12:35 AM
Wat

They are really going to do that?

One of the rules they are experimenting with, I think.

New World Order
03-29-2019, 03:08 AM
#solerpower

Prison Bitch
03-29-2019, 06:49 AM
On a rainy day with an hour and 45 minute delay?

Nah.

Dude it’s opening day. Those are normally all pre-sold far in advance of weather forecasts

WhawhaWhat
03-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Dude it’s opening day. Those are normally all pre-sold far in advance of weather forecasts

Were they sold tickets and not used or unsold tickets?

Prison Bitch
03-29-2019, 07:07 AM
Yes, sold

Fansy the Famous Bard
03-29-2019, 07:29 AM
Good lord man you could find a flaw in a perfect sunset

Yes those contracts look bad; and I have at no point claimed to possess even adequate baseball knowledge; but come on man, I think most rational royals fans are well aware that this is most likely a lost season...

There's absolutely no reason to defecate all over any little spark of enthusiasm

Is it not okay to discuss merit and context of contracts in a thread discussing the Royals?

Asking for a friend.

dallaschiefsfan
03-29-2019, 07:34 AM
31k opening day

Concern?

Not for me. Should be for the org. All it means is they've now spoiled the fan base with winning. The effect lasted a couple of years. It's worn off. They have to do better to rebuild faster and get back to competitive baseball quickly after a wave hits FA. There was a day when opening day was the best thing to look forward to in a season. The fan base has changed...they know that better baseball is in October. Good for us. Now DM and company need to get us back, stat and all will be fine again.

Why Not?
03-29-2019, 07:40 AM

Gotcha. I thought that was the gate total. Still not a shock. Bad team and I think the loss of Salvy gut punched a lot of people. Still in the 5 year window of a championship. May still be hard for people to accept the rebuild/90 loss days.

dlphg9
03-29-2019, 07:43 AM
31k opening day

Concern?

I mean it doesn't concern me, but it should concern Glass and Moore. The home opener was always a guaranteed sell out for years. Even when we were in the decade of trash.

RaidersOftheCellar
03-29-2019, 10:00 AM
I haven't followed the Royals closely in the offseason. Is Boxberger the closer?

Where was O'Hearn? Is Lopez expected to get playing time in the near future?

Prison Bitch
03-29-2019, 10:29 AM
There are some good explanations but honestly, 31k for Opening Day is awful news. This is the first time in my life (other than in 1995 right after the strike) that I heard ads for Opener on the radio. And they were advertising “upper and lower level” which the lower has NEVER had availability.

We had 15k season tix during much of Mr Ks era - he capped it at 15k to make sure Joe Shmoe could get out there too. It fell to 10k under Glass, and I assume it went back to 20k during our WS runs.

What does that mean? Simple - the Opener has never, ever, under any time frame, had avail until yesterday. That’s scary. Our market may not be able to support MLB.

TLO
03-29-2019, 10:43 AM
There are some good explanations but honestly, 31k for Opening Day is awful news. This is the first time in my life (other than in 1995 right after the strike) that I heard ads for Opener on the radio. And they were advertising “upper and lower level” which the lower has NEVER had availability.

We had 15k season tix during much of Mr Ks era - he capped it at 15k to make sure Joe Shmoe could get out there too. It fell to 10k under Glass, and I assume it went back to 20k during our WS runs.

What does that mean? Simple - the Opener has never, ever, under any time frame, had avail until yesterday. That’s scary. Our market may not be able to support MLB.

You're a fucking moron.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-29-2019, 10:50 AM
I haven't followed the Royals closely in the offseason. Is Boxberger the closer?

Where was O'Hearn? Is Lopez expected to get playing time in the near future?

O Hearn sucks against lefties so he sat. Lopez is in the rotation and Boxberger was just a guy we threw out there because Diekman tried blowing it

BWillie
03-29-2019, 11:04 AM
I don't think I'm going to like this Diekmann fellow. He looks like a true piece of shit. I guess he had one good year in 2013. But he's from Nebraska so Royals fans will probably like him.

Strongside
03-29-2019, 12:06 PM
LMFAO @ the notion that KC may not be able to support an MLB team.

That’s so incredibly fucking stupid.

The KC economy is at its highest point EVER, and civic pride is at an all-time high. This town supported its baseball team through one of the greatest recessions in history while the team was GOD AWFUL and you think low opening day numbers indicate a lack of support? The effects from the WS win go far beyond ticket sales. There are more kids in this region who are diehard Royals fans than there have ever been...merch sales, ad dollars (look at the big-name sponsors in the stadium now...the local companies are now national ones)...this all contributes to the team’s bottom line.

Weather 100% played a role in the empty seats on Thursday. And it will again on Saturday.

KC is doing a fine job supporting its three pro teams. Your fears are nonsensical.

dlphg9
03-29-2019, 12:18 PM

That’s so incredibly ****ing stupid.

The KC economy is at its highest point EVER, and civic pride is at an all-time high. This town supported its baseball team through one of the greatest recessions in history while the team was GOD AWFUL and you think low opening day numbers indicate a lack of support? The effects from the WS win go far beyond ticket sales. There are more kids in this region who are diehard Royals fans than there have ever been...merch sales, ad dollars (look at the big-name sponsors in the stadium now...the local companies are now national ones)...this all contributes to the team’s bottom line.

Weather 100% played a role in the empty seats on Thursday. And it will again on Saturday.

KC is doing a fine job supporting its three pro teams. Your fears are nonsensical.

It's Prison Bitch, don't let him troll you. Sometimes I think PB is Kevin Keitzman.

WhawhaWhat
03-29-2019, 12:35 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Reds?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Reds</a> have claimed off waivers from the Giants and optioned to Louisville RHP José López. LHP Brandon Finnegan has been designated for assignment. <a href="https://t.co/Z0ZPCj8oiJ">pic.twitter.com/Z0ZPCj8oiJ</a></p>&mdash; Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) <a href="https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1111328110786547712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 28, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

duncan_idaho
03-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Brandon Finnegan, Cody Reed, and John Lamb...

Great reminder of why prospects shouldn’t just be hoarded.

And why the idea of selling off your proven players for stars isn’t a sure-fire rebuilding kickstart and easy path to success.

ChiefsCountry
03-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Brandon Finnegan, Cody Reed, and John Lamb...

Great reminder of why prospects shouldn’t just be hoarded.

And why the idea of selling off your proven players for stars isn’t a sure-fire rebuilding kickstart and easy path to success.

Where's Dane worthless ass to have it shoved up saying that Cueto trade was a franchise killer. Worthless Hollywood cunt.

Prison Bitch
03-29-2019, 12:51 PM

That’s so incredibly ****ing stupid.

This is completely false. I’ve been to 30 of them. There’s been nice weather for maybe 7-10. I’ve been to some real shit weather openers. Always full. No exceptions until yesterday.

tk13
03-29-2019, 12:53 PM
The part everyone is forgetting about opening day is now it's in March. It's a week to 10 days earlier than it used to be, and the weather is way more up in the air.

This team was absolutely awful last year and still pulled the sixth highest ratings of any team in baseball.

SAUTO
03-29-2019, 02:16 PM

Dumb post

carcosa
03-29-2019, 02:19 PM
For real, can someone explain why Dayton shouldn't just sign Kimbrel and/or Kuechel at this point? Best case, they help the team compete. Worst case, they get traded at the deadline for peanuts. Either way, they'd come cheap. Is there any downside whatsoever? Hello??????

TomBarndtsTwin
03-29-2019, 02:35 PM
For real, can someone explain why Dayton shouldn't just sign Kimbrel and/or Kuechel at this point? Best case, they help the team compete. Worst case, they get traded at the deadline for peanuts. Either way, they'd come cheap. Is there any downside whatsoever? Hello??????

The reason they haven’t signed is they’re not ‘cheap’. They haven’t been willing to take bargain contracts yet, like many of their contemporaries.

Besides, Dallas is done. No one should waste money on him. And as far as Kimbrel: why a 60 win team (which Royals are, best case scenario 70 wins) would want to spend $15 mil. per year on a closer, I have no idea. That’s not good value, even considering flipping him at deadline for prospect. Boxberger on the other hand, made a lot more sense for this team to take a flyer on.

Baseball is still a business. Glass isn’t gonna piss away $10 million for a single A prospect with some high upside, it’s just not happening. If the Royals were ‘close’ to winning and being competitive this might be a different discussion, but they’re not.

Prison Bitch
03-29-2019, 03:11 PM

We just had 31k show up on opening day and you’re wanting big spending on FA?

Mama Hip Rockets
03-29-2019, 03:12 PM

Why would either one of those guys be cheap?

Mama Hip Rockets
03-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Besides, Dallas is done.

Why do you say that? He pitched more than 200 innings last year, and pitched well in the postseason.

Prison Bitch
03-29-2019, 04:26 PM
A group of Kentucky fans at Crown Center (where they’re staying) are standing in front of the blue fountains taking photos.

Should we tell them?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Are we getting rained out today? Weather map doesn't look good right now.

Strongside
03-30-2019, 09:02 AM
FYI, here’s what a town not supporting a baseball team ACTUALLY looks like.

This is moments before the first pitch at the Marlins 2nd game of the season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D23IuHWWsAo_pfz?format=jpg&name=large

TLO
03-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Are we getting rained out today? Weather map doesn't look good right now.

Not sure, but it's cold as balls and windy outside too.

C3HIEF3S
03-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Threw together some plots with Statcast data this morning, visualizing Keller's Opening Day performance. From what I have researched, it was about as Brad Keller game as there could possibly be.

All 92 pitches, colored by pitch type:
https://i.postimg.cc/VN9bvdcv/Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-10-18-47-AM.png

All 92 pitches, colored by pitch speed:
https://i.postimg.cc/wjwjGLHh/Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-10-38-33-AM.png

Overall, the White Sox played right into his hand- chasing after his low-stuff and getting fooled by his slider. A slider that he is consistent in his approach with, low and out of the zone:
https://i.postimg.cc/pTjgbMND/Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-10-56-35-AM.png

Swinging strike rate was about what he averaged at last year, 8 swinging strikes out of 92 pitches. ~8.7% swinging strike rate compared to 9.0% flat for the year last year. 5 of these swinging strikes came against lefties and were chased out of the zone:
https://i.postimg.cc/LXh8zX1m/Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-10-58-14-AM.png

Groundball rate was right there with his average last year as well, 10 of 18 batted balls against were groundballs, ~55.5% groundball rate compared to 54.4% for 2018. I usually don't fall in love with pitchers who rely on inducing-contact, but the thing that impressed me the most from Opening Day was Keller's ability to jam the White Sox inside with his heat, in addition to working LHBs away - yet in the strike zone - with his sinker/two-seamer (FT):
https://i.postimg.cc/0NdqbJ2z/Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-11-12-22-AM.png

Still working out how to present this one visually that isn't a clusterfuck, but it shows some patterns to watch for that could be noteworthy going forward. The Sox had some good pitches to hit when Keller was behind in the count and not able to nibble on the edges and had to come into the zone with his fastball. When Keller was ahead, 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, he threw one pitch in the zone the entire game:
https://i.postimg.cc/nhK3bKhw/Screen-Shot-2019-03-30-at-11-29-04-AM.png

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Rain is suppose to stop around 2. Probably another delay but someone start up the GDT!! Looking at 2-0 baby and first place of the central!!

C3HIEF3S
03-31-2019, 08:33 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> lineup vs. Giolito:<br><br>Merrifield 2B<br>Mondesi SS<br>Gordon LF<br>Soler RF<br>O’Hearn DH<br>Duda 1B<br>Owings 3B<br>Maldonado C<br>Hamilton CF<br>Lopez P</p>&mdash; David Lesky (@DBLesky) <a href="https://twitter.com/DBLesky/status/1112360484576129025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucas Giolito is starting for the White Sox today. He allowed 26 stolen bases last year which was the most by anyone in baseball<br><br>Please let the Royals get on base today</p>&mdash; Cody Tapp (@codybtapp) <a href="https://twitter.com/codybtapp/status/1112337154259210240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

duncan_idaho
03-31-2019, 08:38 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> lineup vs. Giolito:<br><br>Merrifield 2B<br>Mondesi SS<br>Gordon LF<br>Soler RF<br>O’Hearn DH<br>Duda 1B<br>Owings 3B<br>Maldonado C<br>Hamilton CF<br>Lopez P</p>— David Lesky (@DBLesky) <a href="https://twitter.com/DBLesky/status/1112360484576129025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucas Giolito is starting for the White Sox today. He allowed 26 stolen bases last year which was the most by anyone in baseball<br><br>Please let the Royals get on base today</p>— Cody Tapp (@codybtapp) <a href="https://twitter.com/codybtapp/status/1112337154259210240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

And it’s this lineup that’s the problem.

Owings should not play everyday at the expense of Dozier.

Pair it with Duda playing today, too, and it’s just a bad look for Moore and Yost.

Sure-Oz
03-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Why do they feel that Owings needs to be in the lineup as much as possible?

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-31-2019, 09:49 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good morning. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> playoff odds jumped 1.9% from yesterday according to PECOTA. Now at 12.5% to reach the postseason. PECOTA win total is 79.</p>&mdash; Craig Brown (@CraigBrown_BP) <a href="https://twitter.com/CraigBrown_BP/status/1112355130119200768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

C3HIEF3S
03-31-2019, 09:53 AM
Why do they feel that Owings needs to be in the lineup as much as possible?

This already has the makings of becoming one of GMDM and Ned's patented bone-headed roster decisions that has absolutely zero reasoning behind it.

I am a fan of each of them, but that doesn't make these things any less infuriating each time they happen.. especially when they happen on a continuous-basis.

duncan_idaho
03-31-2019, 09:58 AM
This already has the makings of becoming one of GMDM and Ned's patented bone-headed roster decisions that has absolutely zero reasoning behind it.

I am a fan of each of them, but that doesn't make these things any less infuriating each time they happen.. especially when they happen on a continuous-basis.

Sometimes, they’ve been defendable. This is not.

They need to “find out” on Hunter Dozier this year. That means he needs everyday ABs.

WhawhaWhat
03-31-2019, 10:14 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was trying to get Ned to commit to announcing Homer Bailey as his starter Wednesday:<br> <br>Ned: &quot;It&#39;ll be in the notes when the time is right.&quot;<br><br>Me: &quot;Well, he&#39;s here.&quot;<br><br>Ned: &quot;How do you know he’s here?&quot;<br><br>Me: “I saw him.”<br><br>Ned: &quot;Maybe it was a look-alike Homer Bailey.”</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1112387446191390720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

TLO
03-31-2019, 10:59 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was trying to get Ned to commit to announcing Homer Bailey as his starter Wednesday:<br> <br>Ned: &quot;It&#39;ll be in the notes when the time is right.&quot;<br><br>Me: &quot;Well, he&#39;s here.&quot;<br><br>Ned: &quot;How do you know he’s here?&quot;<br><br>Me: “I saw him.”<br><br>Ned: &quot;Maybe it was a look-alike Homer Bailey.”</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1112387446191390720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

LMAO

KChiefs1
03-31-2019, 11:07 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> lineup vs. Giolito:<br><br>Merrifield 2B<br>Mondesi SS<br>Gordon LF<br>Soler RF<br>O’Hearn DH<br>Duda 1B<br>Owings 3B<br>Maldonado C<br>Hamilton CF<br>Lopez P</p>— David Lesky (@DBLesky) <a href="https://twitter.com/DBLesky/status/1112360484576129025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lucas Giolito is starting for the White Sox today. He allowed 26 stolen bases last year which was the most by anyone in baseball<br><br>Please let the Royals get on base today</p>— Cody Tapp (@codybtapp) <a href="https://twitter.com/codybtapp/status/1112337154259210240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2019</a></blockquote>

Why are Owings & Duda on this team? Please go away.

dlphg9
03-31-2019, 11:11 AM
Why are Owings & Duda on this team? Please go away.

Owings has that Gretzy Grit. Idk why Duda is here

nychief
03-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Owings I understand, he’s a year removed from being a decent hitter and can play all over... Duda hasn’t been a league average player in along time, Andy O’Hearn has the same skill set. I’d rather have Frank the tank out there.

RealSNR
03-31-2019, 11:40 AM

Duda is here so we can trade his ass away again!

Coach
03-31-2019, 01:34 PM
Planning to go to a game in Omaha. Need some advice on some members who actually have gone to the game there.

Deciding if I should get a Diamond Club or Club tickets. What is the difference? Any perks to either one?

BWillie
03-31-2019, 02:00 PM
Hahah we are gonna get no hit by the worst pitcher in the AL

cabletech94
03-31-2019, 02:22 PM
no hitter over! way to go alex!

cabletech94
03-31-2019, 02:23 PM
shut out over!! way to go alex!!

Mama Hip Rockets
03-31-2019, 04:47 PM

ROFL

siberian khatru
03-31-2019, 04:49 PM
Ever since beating Oakland in the wild card game, Ned has been unleashed

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
03-31-2019, 06:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I have no words to describe this week. All I can do is thank the countless number of people who have gotten me here. For years, I thought today would never be possible. But… <a href="https://t.co/stD0F1d7p1">https://t.co/stD0F1d7p1</a></p>&mdash; Kyle Zimmer (@kylezimmer11) <a href="https://twitter.com/kylezimmer11/status/1112507302031044608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KChiefs1
03-31-2019, 10:16 PM
Any updates on possible draft picks? I’m hoping there are two can’t miss prospects out there.

CaliforniaChief
03-31-2019, 10:18 PM
Far and away my favorite moment of the weekend was the matchup between Burr and Hamilton. The guys on radio had some fun with that.

Good weekend any time you win a series, but the pitching's gonna screw us hard.

BigCatDaddy
03-31-2019, 10:26 PM
Any chance we move Lovelady up quick? Him, Zimmer and Kennedy wouldn't be horrible IMO.

dlphg9
03-31-2019, 10:42 PM
Owings I understand, he’s a year removed from being a decent hitter and can play all over... Duda hasn’t been a league average player in along time, Andy O’Hearn has the same skill set. I’d rather have Frank the tank out there.

Last year his WAR was negative, the year before it was less than 1 and the year before that it was 1.5. There is no reason he should be on this team.

C3HIEF3S
04-01-2019, 05:38 AM
Any chance we move Lovelady up quick? Him, Zimmer and Kennedy wouldn't be horrible IMO.

A dream scenario for me is that by September Lovelady, Staumont, and Zimmer shore up the bullpen to close out games.

Granted, this would require Staumont to find the damn strikezone.

duncan_idaho
04-01-2019, 05:48 AM
Any updates on possible draft picks? I’m hoping there are two can’t miss prospects out there.

Oregon State C Adley Rutschman has separated himself as the best prospect but there is question about whether a team will take him first overall because C play less and have higher injury risk than other position players. In addition to having elite upside defensively, Rutschman has been the top college hitter this year.

Cal 1B Andrew Vaughn has emerged as my personal favorite. He has been a consistent force in college, putting up career numbers that rival/exceed those of recent college superstar bats like Kris Bryant. He has the ability to hit for a high average, with good plate discipline and OBP skills, and plus power. He’s likely limited to 1B as a pro, which might cause the Royals to pass on him.

There are several elite high school prospects jockeying for position at the top, too. Bobby Witt Jr has fallen down rankings a bit due to questions about his hit tool but is still in the mix. CJ Abrams is another name I’ve seen connected to KC. He’s a speedy SS with developing power.

The Orioles have an all-new front office, so it’s hard to predict where they will go.

Prison Bitch
04-01-2019, 06:27 AM
A bit cold yesterday, but sunny and no wind. Nobody at the game yesterday. Royals have new promos for $5beer and cheaper concessions, the staff practically jumps at you to help answer questions.

Sad our fans abandoned the franchise. Gotta win a WS to draw

DeepSouth
04-01-2019, 06:32 AM
The Royals have a spot on their 40 man roster which will likely go to Homer Bailey who is scheduled to start Wednesday's game. But, the Royals will have to move someone off the 25 man roster. I've narrowed it down to two; either Barlow or McCarthy could be optioned to Omaha. Any other possibilities?

Dunit35
04-01-2019, 06:48 AM
A bit cold yesterday, but sunny and no wind. Nobody at the game yesterday. Royals have new promos for $5beer and cheaper concessions, the staff practically jumps at you to help answer questions.

I wish we lived closer. We’d go all the time. Win or lose, we love the ball park atmosphere. Especially, my kids. We’d probably have some sort of season package.

nychief
04-01-2019, 07:17 AM

Don't think that is exactly fair. It's cold, early in the season and team is tanking on purpose.

OKchiefs
04-01-2019, 07:24 AM
Don't think that is exactly fair. It's cold, early in the season and team is tanking on purpose.

Tanking on purpose? I wish they were tanking on purpose and go the route that Houston and Chicago Cubs went, but this isn't that. You don't sign losers like Hamilton, Duda, and Owings if you're tanking on purpose. You trade away Merrifield if you're truly buying into a tank and rebuild.

nychief
04-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Tanking on purpose? I wish they were tanking on purpose and go the route that Houston and Chicago Cubs went, but this isn't that. You don't sign losers like Hamilton, Duda, and Owings if you're tanking on purpose. You trade away Merrifield if you're truly buying into a tank and rebuild.

Dude, you want the worst record in baseball...you sign duda, hamilton and Owings. They aren't trying to win this year. They and the Orioles are going to be 1/2 again this year for the top pick. They're going to trade off anything of value at the deadline.

dallaschiefsfan
04-01-2019, 07:27 AM
The Royals have a spot on their 40 man roster which will likely go to Homer Bailey who is scheduled to start Wednesday's game. But, the Royals will have to move someone off the 25 man roster. I've narrowed it down to two; either Barlow or McCarthy could be optioned to Omaha. Any other possibilities?

My guess is Barlow. But who knows. They've done a few unexpected things lately, so they could surprise. McCarthy is definitely an "up/down" to Omaha candidate this year if he can't take the next step and build off last year. I've been disappointed with what I've seen of him thus far. Part of me is just ready to get Ynoa, Lovelady and maybe Newberry and Staumont up and see if the higher quality arms can rise to the occasion. That creates 40 man issues that I'm super doubtful we're ready to address this early.

OKchiefs
04-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Dude, you want the worst record in baseball...you sign duda, hamilton and Owings. They aren't trying to win this year. They and the Orioles are going to be 1/2 again this year for the top pick. They're going to trade off anything of value at the deadline.

I'm not sure what they have that has any value.

nychief
04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
I'm not sure what they have that has any value.

True. Most of this trash is here just to get us to the all star break - I think after that you shed all the corpses and start to see some guys like Lopez, Staumont, Lovelady etc.. I think merrifield is a bridge player for us between waves... but the point is that the future of the team is in Wilmington.

OKchiefs
04-01-2019, 07:41 AM
True. Most of this trash is here just to get us to the all star break - I think after that you shed all the corpses and start to see some guys like Lopez, Staumont, Lovelady etc.. I think merrifield is a bridge player for us between waves... but the point is that the future of the team is in Wilmington.

I don't think Moore has the cajones to trade Merrifield, but we'll see.

DeepSouth
04-01-2019, 07:42 AM
My guess is Barlow. But who knows. They've done a few unexpected things lately, so they could surprise. McCarthy is definitely an "up/down" to Omaha candidate this year if he can't take the next step and build off last year. I've been disappointed with what I've seen of him thus far. Part of me is just ready to get Ynoa, Lovelady and maybe Newberry and Staumont up and see if the higher quality arms can rise to the occasion. That creates 40 man issues that I'm super doubtful we're ready to address this early.
I love the idea of Lovelady and Ynoa making it before the end of the year. I doubt we'll see them any time soon. I think the Royals are hoping guys like Boxberger, Diekman, and Peralta have a good first half so they can be moved at the deadline. Even Homer Bailey or Duffy could be gone mid year if they have good first halfs. And, if we want to live in fantasy land, we can hope that Ian Kennedy has a great first half in the bullpen and someone will take him and his salary off the Royals hands.

dallaschiefsfan
04-01-2019, 07:50 AM
I love the idea of Lovelady and Ynoa making it before the end of the year. I doubt we'll see them any time soon. I think the Royals are hoping guys like Boxberger, Diekman, and Peralta have a good first half so they can be moved at the deadline. Even Homer Bailey or Duffy could be gone mid year if they have good first halfs. And, if we want to live in fantasy land, we can hope that Ian Kennedy has a great first half in the bullpen and someone will take him and his salary off the Royals hands.

Kennedy as a semi-lockdown back-end arm or closer is really the only possible way we unload that contract. It's a decent strategy, if that's part of the thinking. Of course, we would get nothing more than a lottery ticket in return if we're intent on unloading most of the salary (which we should be). Not sure how many teams will bite on that.

duncan_idaho
04-01-2019, 08:31 AM

You absolutely do add some veterans if you’re in tank/rebuild mode, with an eye on flipping them at the deadline.

The key is not blocking any young players who are MLB ready. Duda does that, Owings does that, if they’re taking ABs away from O’Hearn or Dozier.

They would trade Merrifield if someone pushed forward the right offer, but I don’t believe it came. With the way teams now hoard prospects, it is going to get harder for teams to justify trading players with lots of control just because the window is still several years off.

The lack of success of recent tankers like the White Sox also offers a cautionary tale. What they got for a player very similar to Merrifield has not really impressed.

WhawhaWhat
04-01-2019, 09:12 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per sources, the Royals have discussed the Brandon Finnegan and Dan Straily situations, but it&#39;s not likely anything will go further than that. They are at 39 on the 40-man roster and that final spot likely goes to Homer Bailey.</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1112727100165947393?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 1, 2019</a></blockquote>

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-01-2019, 09:30 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per sources, the Royals have discussed the Brandon Finnegan and Dan Straily situations, but it&#39;s not likely anything will go further than that. They are at 39 on the 40-man roster and that final spot likely goes to Homer Bailey.</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1112727100165947393?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 1, 2019</a></blockquote>

Bring back Finnegan!!

Prison Bitch
04-01-2019, 09:47 AM
I wish we lived closer. We’d go all the time. Win or lose, we love the ball park atmosphere. Especially, my kids. We’d probably have some sort of season package.

It’s just great out there. We were behind the 1B dugout when Zimmer came off, really nice ovation. He exhaled very noticeably when he hit the steps.

DeepSouth
04-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Boston Red Sox 2019 opening day salary = $225 million.

KC Royals 2019 opening day salary = $100 million.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2019/4/1/18288184/royals-field-100-million-opening-day-payroll-down-19-percent-from-last-year

duncan_idaho
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Meh on Finnegan’s return.

He didn’t do a good job staying in shape after his initial debut, he chafed at being relegated to the pen, and his stuff regressed.

He also trash talked the Royals on the way out, then fell flat on his face.

If he’s willing to apologize and accept being a bullpen guy, cool. Would have to show some change to get this front office believing again, though.

Chiefspants
04-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Meh on Finnegan’s return.

He didn’t do a good job staying in shape after his initial debut, he chafed at being relegated to the pen, and his stuff regressed.

He also trash talked the Royals on the way out, then fell flat on his face.

If he’s willing to apologize and accept being a bullpen guy, cool. Would have to show some change to get this front office believing again, though.

This FO usually doesn't take criticism from its players too well. Crow was gone the instant he was remotely critical of the FO (same with players on the shitty teams pre-2013). I'd be a bit surprised if Finny was brought back after getting a lot more critical than Crow was after he was traded - especially since he's let his physical condition slide immediately after the 2014 playoffs.

C3HIEF3S
04-01-2019, 11:00 AM
This FO usually doesn't take criticism from its players too well. Crow was gone the instant he was remotely critical of the FO (same with players on the shitty teams pre-2013). I'd be a bit surprised if Finny was brought back after getting a lot more critical than Crow was after he was traded - especially since he's let his physical condition slide immediately after the 2014 playoffs.

I believe José Mijares was in the same boat as well in 2012. He was mysteriously released out of nowhere in August with a 2.56 ERA to that point. Maybe it wasn’t for publicly saying anything, but I remember that one being a shocker at the time with no other sensible explanation other than “he was an asshole”.

Chiefspants
04-01-2019, 11:12 AM
I believe José Mijares was in the same boat as well in 2012. He was mysteriously released out of nowhere in August with a 2.56 ERA to that point. Maybe it wasn’t for publicly saying anything, but I remember that one being a shocker at the time with no other sensible explanation other than “he was an asshole”.

I was trying to remember who that was! If I recall correctly it was later reported that Mijares' attitude about the org was impacting Esky and the Royals wanted to remove that toxic behavior in the locker room ASAP.

KChiefs1
04-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Bring back Finnegan!!

Please no.

KChiefs1
04-01-2019, 11:23 AM
You absolutely do add some veterans if you’re in tank/rebuild mode, with an eye on flipping them at the deadline.

The key is not blocking any young players who are MLB ready. Duda does that, Owings does that, if they’re taking ABs away from O’Hearn or Dozier.

They would trade Merrifield if someone pushed forward the right offer, but I don’t believe it came. With the way teams now hoard prospects, it is going to get harder for teams to justify trading players with lots of control just because the window is still several years off.

The lack of success of recent tankers like the White Sox also offers a cautionary tale. What they got for a player very similar to Merrifield has not really impressed.

Duncan, if the Royals get off to a hot start over the next couple of weeks.

Why not sign Keuchel or Kimbrel? They could still trade them right? Would there be a negative?

duncan_idaho
04-01-2019, 02:51 PM
Duncan, if the Royals get off to a hot start over the next couple of weeks.

Why not sign Keuchel or Kimbrel? They could still trade them right? Would there be a negative?

Not sure either is willing to take a one year deal, but if you can get Glass to approve an extra $20 million in payroll, sure you do it.

Jerok
04-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Not sure either is willing to take a one year deal, but if you can get Glass to approve an extra $20 million in payroll, sure you do it.

Royals are winning the division this year, I don't know why they wouldn't sign these two dickweeds.

AndChiefs
04-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Royals traded for Susac.

Fansy the Famous Bard
04-02-2019, 02:47 PM
Royals traded for Susac.

Jesus, WHY?

cosmo20002
04-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Susac...the final piece of the puzzle.
Excellent.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Homer Bailey the starter tomorrow

AndChiefs
04-02-2019, 03:30 PM
Jesus, WHY?

Obviously for his skills with the bat.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Someone start up a GDT!! This game is for sole possession of first place

Great Expectations
04-02-2019, 09:42 PM
First blown save of the year. #yostedagain #whenwillheretire

Why Not?
04-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Over/Under 1.5 games above .500 at any point again this season?

BWillie
04-02-2019, 09:49 PM
WTF must Mondesi be slugging right now? Bonafide superstar.

cosmo20002
04-02-2019, 09:50 PM
Over/Under 1.5 games above .500 at any point again this season?

If it happens, it will be in the next couple games. I don't think the bullpen is going to allow it to happen long-term.

BWillie
04-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Homer Bailey the starter tomorrow

May god help us all.

cosmo20002
04-02-2019, 09:54 PM
And we haven't even gotten into the 4th and 5th starters. Who knows what kind of mess that will be.

BWillie
04-02-2019, 09:56 PM
And we haven't even gotten into the 4th and 5th starters. Who knows what kind of mess that will be.

Our third starter is coming off 3-years in a row of having a 6.1 ERA or higher.

That's cool. That's really cool.

Great Expectations
04-02-2019, 09:57 PM
If it happens, it will be in the next couple games. I don't think the bullpen is going to allow it to happen long-term.

We have some good bullpen arms, but Ned won’t use some of them and the others are still in the minors.

Great Expectations
04-02-2019, 09:58 PM

Similar to our closer....

BWillie
04-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Ned sounds pissed.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-02-2019, 10:03 PM

Hey Bailey did win a game last year!

Why Not?
04-02-2019, 10:04 PM

I agree. I’d have to go under.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Justin Morneau is ripping Yost because he pulled O Hearn in the ninth

Why Not?
04-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Not a Royals thing but it has a little Royals flavor and I love when athletes get pissed and go off.

With the Padres up 2-0 and hitting Grienke pretty good, they get the first two hitters on in the 2nd and proceed to let the pitcher swing away. Grienke is visibly pissed at the obvious insult. Since then he’s K’d 10 of 12 outs and hit 2 HR’s driving in 4. Man, I love that crazy fucker sometimes.

Prison Bitch
04-02-2019, 11:05 PM

cosmo20002
04-02-2019, 11:21 PM

Tomorrow's day game is going to make you jizz your pants.

Prison Bitch
04-02-2019, 11:37 PM
Tomorrow's day game is going to make you jizz your pants.

Royals new general manager focused on attracting new fans

https://www.readingeagle.com/sports/article/royals-new-general-manager-focused-on-attracting-new-fans

Rivaldo
04-03-2019, 01:32 AM
absolutely pathetic... our young star plays his heart out, and the worst free agent signing in royals' history, banished to the bullpen, cannot record outs vs. 2 batters he was ahead of 0-2 in the count.

Al Bundy
04-03-2019, 03:53 AM
This bullpen is going to lose 60+ games by itself.

Why Not?
04-03-2019, 07:32 AM
absolutely pathetic... our young star plays his heart out, and the worst free agent signing in royals' history, banished to the bullpen, cannot record outs vs. 2 batters he was ahead of 0-2 in the count.

This will be something we gave to get used to.

dallaschiefsfan
04-03-2019, 07:55 AM

Although I wish it would work out, I think Kennedy's best impact on this team in 2019 will be as a middle reliever. I'm not sure his repertoire will play well in one inning, shut-down situations. Same with Boxberger. Power arms need to anchor the back of the pen. I'd even be cool if they kept Peralta as the closer for now. As much as he makes you bite your nails, he seems to wiggle out of situations.

arrowheadnation
04-03-2019, 07:58 AM

Hopefully Ned doesn't go full Yost and hands late inning duties over to Zimmer. Would be an awesome story arc if he ended up being our next lights out closer.

Chris Meck
04-03-2019, 08:11 AM
One of the things that made the '14-'15 pens so dominant was the differential between the junk-baller starting pitchers and the hard throwing late inning relievers.

Kennedy in middle relief makes sense.

ChiTown
04-03-2019, 08:35 AM
This bullpen is going to lose 60+ games by itself.

I'll take the over..........

Titty Meat
04-03-2019, 08:36 AM

https://www.readingeagle.com/sports/article/royals-new-general-manager-focused-on-attracting-new-fans

Now you're talking about attendance? I brought this up a few years ago and was damn near banned from the thread.

dallaschiefsfan
04-03-2019, 10:10 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To make room for Homer Bailey on the 25-man roster, the Royals have DFAd right-hander Chris Ellis.</p>&mdash; Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlannyMLB/status/1113450325820747777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2019</a></blockquote>

nychief
04-03-2019, 10:17 AM
This homer bailey shit is going to turn out terribly. Also Kennedy as a closer is fucking dumb.

CasselGotPeedOn
04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Hey PB, when is the last time you were at the K?

Prison Bitch
04-03-2019, 11:22 AM
3 days ago.

cosmo20002
04-03-2019, 11:23 AM

OK...why did you post this article about a minor-league hockey team?

dlphg9
04-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Although I wish it would work out, I think Kennedy's best impact on this team in 2019 will be as a middle reliever. I'm not sure his repertoire will play well in one inning, shut-down situations. Same with Boxberger. Power arms need to anchor the back of the pen. I'd even be cool if they kept Peralta as the closer for now. As much as he makes you bite your nails, he seems to wiggle out of situations.

Kennedys best position would to be DFA'd, so that we can bring up a guy from AAA who would put up equal or probably better production. Id rather he get paid to sit at home and not block guys while he's sucking shit.

duncan_idaho
04-03-2019, 02:06 PM
I’ll be honest: I’m fine with seeing this team lose 10-20 extra games due to a crappy bullpen.

They have better young arms on the way in the near future (Zimmer, Staumont, Lovelady among them) that should add a lot of power back in the pen.

They’re trying to rehab some vets and build some trade value. If it doesn’t work, and it costs you games, the other effect is raising your next draft pick slot.

WhawhaWhat
04-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Should the Royals offer Mondesi an Acuna-type contract? Mondesi is 2 years older so maybe 6 years for $90 mil with options on the end?

TLO
04-03-2019, 02:51 PM
I’ll be honest: I’m fine with seeing this team lose 10-20 extra games due to a crappy bullpen.

They have better young arms on the way in the near future (Zimmer, Staumont, Lovelady among them) that should add a lot of power back in the pen.

They’re trying to rehab some vets and build some trade value. If it doesn’t work, and it costs you games, the other effect is raising your next draft pick slot.

I'm not ok with this. At all. I want to win games now. Not wait around for a bunch of prospects that may or may not work out.

cosmo20002
04-03-2019, 03:20 PM
I'm not ok with this. At all. I want to win games now. Not wait around for a bunch of prospects that may or may not work out.

Yeah, it's a dumb comment. There's no reason to be "fine" with a bullpen blowing game after game. Some people's fandom is always based on building for some potential team that may or (more likely) may not gel in 3-5 years.
The bullpen has ranged from bad to sucked ass in every game so far. There's no reason to be "fine" with it.

cosmo20002
04-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Yay! Better draft pick...guaranteed success!

Chiefspants
04-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Yeah, it's a dumb comment. There's no reason to be "fine" with a bullpen blowing game after game. Some people's fandom is always based on building for some potential team that may or (more likely) may not gel in 3-5 years.
The bullpen has ranged from bad to sucked ass in every game so far. There's no reason to be "fine" with it.

We need impact guys. The odds are much higher we're going to land a high impact guy with GMDM drafting in the Top 5 (preferably Top 3) than Top 15. 78 wins would be fun and all, but ask the M's how they've enjoyed that kind of 9-7 Chiefs like purgatory for the last ten years.

C3HIEF3S
04-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Yes there is. This year's team isn't winning anything even if they had the '14 and '15 bullpens. If you want to get back to where you were in 2013-2016 as fast as possible (and sustain that success for a period of years), competing and winning ballgames in 2019 is not the way to do that, frankly.

This pen will look completely different in August and September. Ride the rebuild.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-03-2019, 04:37 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Nationals’ Trevor Rosenthal has faced seven batters over three appearances so far this season. This is how it has gone:<br><br>1B<br>1B<br>BB<br>1B<br>1B<br>BB<br>BB<br><br>0.0 IP, 4 H, 7 R/ER, 3 BB, 0 K<br><br>At this point, he’d have to pitch 21 consecutive scoreless innings just to get his ERA down to 3.00.</p>&mdash; Matt Chrietzberg (@BravesMattC) <a href="https://twitter.com/BravesMattC/status/1113544144595628037?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

duncan_idaho
04-03-2019, 04:40 PM

This team isn't going to many games now, though. Not as currently constructed. And without a huge amount of luck or the influx of $100 million in added payroll, it wasn't going to win games now.

We're talking about the difference between winning 84 and 74 or 64.

They're going to upgrade the bullpen later this year with guys like Staumont and Lovelady. They're ready or near-ready. It's reasonable to take some time for those guys to develop and to let some cheap veteran arms build/try to rebuild some value. Adding guys like Diekman, Boxberger, etc. is done with an eye towards having more veteran guys (which would conceivably improve the team) and also having some guys who can be flipped for some form of value.

A terrible bullpen matters when you're a real contender. When you're an also-ran, it is meaningless unless the difference between "pretty bad" and "really bad" really means that much to you.

My fandom is based on the Royals being as awesome as possible as often as possible. It's a challenge for them due to the market sizes and realities of baseball. I'm not and haven't been a proponent of complete tear downs and purposeful tanks.

But if it happens naturally... ok.

ROYC75
04-03-2019, 06:42 PM

With a small market team, you can't mortgage the future to find high price talent somewhere now, when the roster is not ready to win on a competitive level. We will get there, some good moves have been made, talent looking good. As duncan said, we have some up and coming arms in Triple A.

Next year ( 2020 ) is a major step, by 2021 if the young arms pan out the daily roster should be solid with enough experience to compete.

Al Bundy
04-03-2019, 07:35 PM
I tend to agree with Duncan. The worst thing that could happen is that this team wins some games early. This team needs to be 20 games under by the end of May.

petegz28
04-03-2019, 07:37 PM

Yeah, we saw that last year....I am in no mood for a repeat

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-03-2019, 09:18 PM
We’re not the worst!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cubs Bullpen<br>17 ER, 17 BB in 17.1 IP <br><br>GIF me.</p>&mdash; Joe Ostrowski (@JoeO670) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeO670/status/1113633226810118145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dallaschiefsfan
04-03-2019, 10:03 PM
My only issue with tolerating a bad bullpen is that it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It can be a defeater for young starting pitchers that do their jobs time and again. I'm OK with letting Boxberger pitch in a tight game that Homer Bailey or Danny Duffy starts (or Kennedy, if he ends up starting some games). But not Brad Keller or Junis or Lopez. I want the bullpen to deliver those guys the wins they've earned.

C3HIEF3S
04-04-2019, 06:46 AM
My only issue with tolerating a bad bullpen is that it doesn't happen in a vacuum. It can be a defeater for young starting pitchers that do their jobs time and again. I'm OK with letting Boxberger pitch in a tight game that Homer Bailey or Danny Duffy starts (or Kennedy, if he ends up starting some games). But not Brad Keller or Junis or Lopez. I want the bullpen to deliver those guys the wins they've earned.

That works both ways. The same can be said for pitchers who don’t get run support. I think any pro pitcher understands that on any given day they’ll be benefitting from a teammate bailing them out.

KChiefs1
04-04-2019, 07:31 AM
We’re not the worst!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cubs Bullpen<br>17 ER, 17 BB in 17.1 IP <br><br>GIF me.</p>— Joe Ostrowski (@JoeO670) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoeO670/status/1113633226810118145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 4, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A race for the worst!

WhawhaWhat
04-04-2019, 07:36 AM
A race for the worst!

Hard to believe that the Royals bullpen ERA is only 4th worst but the Nationals, Cubs and White Sox have them beat. I know it's early though so the Royals have plenty of time to beat those guys.

Go Royals
04-04-2019, 07:54 AM
This team isn't going to many games now, though. Not as currently constructed. And without a huge amount of luck or the influx of $100 million in added payroll, it wasn't going to win games now.

We're talking about the difference between winning 84 and 74 or 64.

They're going to upgrade the bullpen later this year with guys like Staumont and Lovelady. They're ready or near-ready. It's reasonable to take some time for those guys to develop and to let some cheap veteran arms build/try to rebuild some value. Adding guys like Diekman, Boxberger, etc. is done with an eye towards having more veteran guys (which would conceivably improve the team) and also having some guys who can be flipped for some form of value.

A terrible bullpen matters when you're a real contender. When you're an also-ran, it is meaningless unless the difference between "pretty bad" and "really bad" really means that much to you.

My fandom is based on the Royals being as awesome as possible as often as possible. It's a challenge for them due to the market sizes and realities of baseball. I'm not and haven't been a proponent of complete tear downs and purposeful tanks.

But if it happens naturally... ok.

Sort of related to tanking - naturally or unnaturally,

Do you think there are any players, other than Mondesi, that are completely untouchable?

I kinda wonder if they'd be willing to trade a Keller, Merrifield, Soler, Junis, etc. if they got blown away with an offer.

Prison Bitch
04-04-2019, 08:20 AM
Can we please drop the concept of “flipping” vets at the deadline?

It’s not real. It doesn’t happen. They have literally zero value.

Titty Meat
04-04-2019, 08:37 AM

Add Duffy to the bullpen too. He will get injured again and it will be time to move him to the bullpen.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Btw Duda is starting at first today

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-04-2019, 09:13 AM
I had no idea but Chris Ellis the pitcher they DFA probably won’t be back. The Royals have to offer him back to the Cards and they will more then likely get him back. He was the only the second pitcher who hasn’t allowed a run in the bullpen besides Zimmer but thanks Yost for DFA him you piece of shit

WhawhaWhat
04-04-2019, 09:17 AM
He was the only the second pitcher who hasn’t allowed a run in the bullpen besides Zimmer but thanks Yost for DFA him you piece of shit

Ned doesn't DFA anyone you dolt. That Dayton's job.

ChiTown
04-04-2019, 09:25 AM
I used to love Dan Duda............when he was a 1B for the NYM's........

duncan_idaho
04-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Sort of related to tanking - naturally or unnaturally,

Do you think there are any players, other than Mondesi, that are completely untouchable?

I kinda wonder if they'd be willing to trade a Keller, Merrifield, Soler, Junis, etc. if they got blown away with an offer.

I would say Keller and Juno’s are untouchable as goin, controlled SPs with 4+ years of control.

Merrifield, Soler, etc. would be available, For the right price. Both have plenty of cheap control left, so you wouldn’t move them for just any deal.

Soler would also likely need an AL suitor, as his defense isn’t good enough to fly for most in RF.

We could if it didn’t actually happen anymore. Teams don’t surrender the value they once did, but trades still happen.

Here’s a recap from last year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/mlb/news/mlb-trades-news-rumors-trade-deadline-yankees-braves-dodgers-cubs-red-sox/zpm9eicioqzl1l0r90ftoio3a

You can get some international bonus dollars (might be helpful this year considering they’re expected to splash 3-4 million on Erick Pena). Or lottery ticket arms.

Sometimes you hit the jackpot. Most times, you don’t.

Fernando Tatis was acquired for James Shields, then proceeded to blow up into an elite prospect.

But when you’re bad, it makes sense to roll the dice and see if you get lucky.

OKchiefs
04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Except it does happen. The Blue Jays keeping Elvis Luciano on their roster as a rule 5 pick completely negates your BS opinion that these trades have zero value.

DeepSouth
04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

I didn't think the Moustakas for Brett Phillips and Jorge Lopez was too bad a deal

Jerok
04-04-2019, 11:00 AM
I just looked up Elvis Luciano who was part of the Jon Jay trade. Well he was the first player in the majors born after 2000, and he plays on the Blue Jays bc of the Rule 5 draft. We'd rather sign shitty T. Gore and Owings who will never amount to anything than try out a lottery ticket?

duncan_idaho
04-04-2019, 11:50 AM
I just looked up Elvis Luciano who was part of the Jon Jay trade. Well he was the first player in the majors born after 2000, and he plays on the Blue Jays bc of the Rule 5 draft. We'd rather sign shitty T. Gore and Owings who will never amount to anything than try out a lottery ticket?

He was 18 years old when the Rule 5 draft happened and was at rookie ball last year. The Royals didn’t have him on the 40, so he wasn’t protected (and he was only eligible to be selected in the Rule V due to an unusual contract stipulation from his signing)

It was very surprising the Blue Jays took him and were willing to roster him all year.

OKchiefs
04-04-2019, 12:25 PM
I wonder how far we'll get into the season before Mondesi finally draws a walk.

duncan_idaho
04-04-2019, 12:41 PM
I wonder how far we'll get into the season before Mondesi finally draws a walk.

I don’t care about his raw walk total if his approach continues to be good. Haven’t seen today’s game but know he’s 0-3 with 3 Ks.

Honestly, not sure why you’re worrying about that 25 ABs into the season, when he’s carry and OPS north of 1.000.

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2019, 12:44 PM
I don’t care about his raw walk total if his approach continues to be good. Haven’t seen today’s game but know he’s 0-3 with 3 Ks.

Honestly, not sure why you’re worrying about that 25 ABs into the season, when he’s carry and OPS north of 1.000.

Kcchiefsus is a compete moron that's why.

OKchiefs
04-04-2019, 12:46 PM

I'm thrilled with him overall, just aware that his career K and walk numbers are a concern and the biggest thing holding him back from potential stardom.

OKchiefs
04-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Kcchiefsus is a compete moron that's why.

Aww you can't help but open your mouth. Your life must fucking suck.

SAUTO
04-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Aww you can't help but open your mouth. Your life must fucking suck.

I never get these posts.

What does a post on chiefsplanet have to do with that poster's life?

Jerok
04-04-2019, 06:19 PM
I miss Ventura. He got me fired up when he pitched like no other player. Every game had the potential to be must-watch TV. Would he throw 99 and blow by guys? Would he yell at Mike Trout for no reason? Would he be charged by Manny Machado? It was a lot of fun, and now when I watch the Royals it's boring old losing, can we walk the bases loaded and keep walking guys baseball.

RIP Yordado. Hopefully Singer will be the next exciting pitcher to watch.

Titty Meat
04-05-2019, 08:22 AM
MLB needs to get their shit together. They've ruined opening day with the stupid overseas shit a week before, playing games in March, and no game on a friday? WTF. Also end the season on Labor day.

duncan_idaho
04-05-2019, 11:11 AM
MLB needs to get their shit together. They've ruined opening day with the stupid overseas shit a week before, playing games in March, and no game on a friday? WTF. Also end the season on Labor day.

So you want a 130 game season, then?

Titty Meat
04-05-2019, 11:12 AM
So you want a 130 game season, then?

120 even.

BigCatDaddy
04-05-2019, 11:59 AM
The start date is fine but I wouldn't be upset to end it much earlier. By the time the NFL rolls around a lot of people have checked out.

jimidollar
04-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Some have already checked out.

Mama Hip Rockets
04-05-2019, 06:33 PM
The start date is fine but I wouldn't be upset to end it much earlier. By the time the NFL rolls around a lot of people have checked out.

Well, if they've already lost 90 games by then, yes. We weren't checked out by September in 2014-2015.

dlphg9
04-06-2019, 01:20 AM
I'm thrilled with him overall, just aware that his career K and walk numbers are a concern and the biggest thing holding him back from potential stardom.

So if he has a 325 BA/350 OBP/550 SLG/900 OPS you won't consider him a star because he didn't take enough walks?

It's so crazy to think about how highly regarded our farm system was with Hosmer, Moose and all those other guys, but none of them touched the potential Mondesi has. Last year as a 22 year old he had a SLG that matched Eric Hosmers highest SLG and Hosmer did that when he was playing for a new contract. Im so excited to see what Mondesi can become.

On a side note, I am so incredibly happy that Hosmer didn't sign here. I think that deal would have been so much worse thsn the Alex Gordon deal.

One last thing, can someone give me a good break down Khalil Lee? According to MLB.com he is our 2nd highest rated prospect. What is his potential like? I was going to buy some of his 1st Bowman Chrome auto cards while they are still cheap. I've read he's a legit 5 tool player and he has a knack for getting on base. Who does he compare to in the majors. ?

Chiefspants
04-06-2019, 01:59 AM
Looks like Edinson Volquez might have retore his UCL. That might be a wrap on his career. If so, thank you for everything, Eddie.

He got the dreaded “sprained elbow” diagnosis.

dlphg9
04-06-2019, 02:17 AM
Looks like Edinson Volquez might have retore his UCL. That might be a wrap on his career. If so, thank you for everything, Eddie.

He got the dreaded “sprained elbow” diagnosis.

That sucks, he was one of our best starters in 2015 and pitched his ass off in the playoffs. He was a huge reason why we won the WS.

duncan_idaho
04-06-2019, 07:35 AM
So if he has a 325 BA/350 OBP/550 SLG/900 OPS you won't consider him a star because he didn't take enough walks?

It's so crazy to think about how highly regarded our farm system was with Hosmer, Moose and all those other guys, but none of them touched the potential Mondesi has. Last year as a 22 year old he had a SLG that matched Eric Hosmers highest SLG and Hosmer did that when he was playing for a new contract. Im so excited to see what Mondesi can become.

On a side note, I am so incredibly happy that Hosmer didn't sign here. I think that deal would have been so much worse thsn the Alex Gordon deal.

One last thing, can someone give me a good break down Khalil Lee? According to MLB.com he is our 2nd highest rated prospect. What is his potential like? I was going to buy some of his 1st Bowman Chrome auto cards while they are still cheap. I've read he's a legit 5 tool player and he has a knack for getting on base. Who does he compare to in the majors. ?

He’s a smaller OF with good raw power. The 5-tool talk is legitimate.

He might be a little bit of a stretch in CF for the K, but he’s someone who could be an incredibly plus corner guy there.

He has had good plate discipline throughout his minor league career, with good walk rates. Two years ago, he struck out a bunch. Last year, he really cut his K rate but it sapped some power.

He’s probably a 15-20 HR guy playing for the Royals, but he runs well enough to steal 20+ bases.

KChiefs1
04-06-2019, 12:24 PM
I can’t take this team seriously with Owings playing every day.

Three7s
04-06-2019, 12:34 PM
He’s a smaller OF with good raw power. The 5-tool talk is legitimate.

He might be a little bit of a stretch in CF for the K, but he’s someone who could be an incredibly plus corner guy there.

He has had good plate discipline throughout his minor league career, with good walk rates. Two years ago, he struck out a bunch. Last year, he really cut his K rate but it sapped some power.

He’s probably a 15-20 HR guy playing for the Royals, but he runs well enough to steal 20+ bases.
Sounds like a slightly slower version of Cain.

dlphg9
04-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Dear God why not just bring up Nicky Lopez? What is the fucking obsession with trash like Chris Owings? Did he promise to never look at porn if he could start every day? It's not like Nicky Lopez is really young, he's 24. He played 57 games in AAA last year and had a .781 OPS. He's better than Chris Owings in every aspect of the game.

So is the plan to just run Owings out there every single day as long as he's able to get a hit every 3 or 4 games? I know its a hot take, but I don't think this organization makes the post season again with DM as our GM. Yeah he brought us a championship, but he had a really good couple year stretch and lucked into this dominant bullpen and hit on a couple of draft picks, but other than that he has been trash. Now go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.

duncan_idaho
04-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Dear God why not just bring up Nicky Lopez? What is the ****ing obsession with trash like Chris Owings? Did he promise to never look at porn if he could start every day? It's not like Nicky Lopez is really young, he's 24. He played 57 games in AAA last year and had a .781 OPS. He's better than Chris Owings in every aspect of the game.

So is the plan to just run Owings out there every single day as long as he's able to get a hit every 3 or 4 games? I know its a hot take, but I don't think this organization makes the post season again with DM as our GM. Yeah he brought us a championship, but he had a really good couple year stretch and lucked into this dominant bullpen and hit on a couple of draft picks, but other than that he has been trash. Now go ahead and tell me how wrong I am.

Nicky Lopez isn't on the 40 man roster and has all of 150 ABs at the AAA level. There's no need to rush him onto this team, which isn't going anywhere, anyway.

You're complaining about Owings justifiably, but for the wrong player. Owings and Duda shouldn't be playing in lieu of Dozier or O'Hearn, period. The Royals need to let those two just play and see what happens.

Moore did far more than you're giving him credit for. He completely overhauled the organization top-to-bottom. They had a pathetic presence in Latin America and pathetic scouting staff before Moore. He convinced Glass to invest in the major league roster as well as the minor league system as well. They started popping legit talent from Latin America for the first time. Ever.

He completely overmade the entire org.

You don't build a minor league system with the depth and quality the Royals did by getting lucky with a few high picks. And that "lucked into" bullpen? Featured 2 home grown guys who were relievers the whole way (Herrera and Holland), a guy acquired in trade with an eye on knowing his floor was as an elite back-end arm (Davis) and guys picked up on the cheap (Madson) or converted to the pen (Hochevar).

Moore also nailed several moves to make the 2014 and 2015 and 2013 teams happen. Trades. Small FA signings.

Moore and his staff need to improve their player development pipeline. I'd grade their first five years as excellent in terms of developing the minors, the middle five years as below average, and the past two as trending back in the right direction.

I'm not certain he'll put together a consistent winner in Kansas City again. It's hard to do. There are some quirks that make you wonder about him repeating what he did before, but he still deserves a lot more credit than you gave him here.

BigCatDaddy
04-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Probably best to check out until next year with this pen. I think most of the fan base already has.

Discuss Thrower
04-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Nicky Lopez isn't on the 40 man roster and has all of 150 ABs at the AAA level. There's no need to rush him onto this team, which isn't going anywhere, anyway.

You're complaining about Owings justifiably, but for the wrong player. Owings and Duda shouldn't be playing in lieu of Dozier or O'Hearn, period. The Royals need to let those two just play and see what happens.

Moore did far more than you're giving him credit for. He completely overhauled the organization top-to-bottom. They had a pathetic presence in Latin America and pathetic scouting staff before Moore. He convinced Glass to invest in the major league roster as well as the minor league system as well. They started popping legit talent from Latin America for the first time. Ever.

You don't build a minor league system with the depth and quality the Royals did by getting lucky with a few high picks. And that "lucked into" bullpen? Featured 2 home grown guys who were relievers the whole way (Herrera and Holland), a guy acquired in trade with an eye on knowing his floor was as an elite back-end arm (Davis) and guys picked up on the cheap (Madson) or converted to the pen (Hochevar).

Moore also nailed several moves to make the 2014 and 2015 and 2013 teams happen. Trades. Small FA signings.

Moore and his staff need to improve their player development pipeline. I'd grade their first five years as excellent in terms of developing the minors, the middle five years as below average, and the past two as trending back in the right direction.

I'm not certain he'll put together a consistent winner in Kansas City again. It's hard to do. There are some quirks that make you wonder about him repeating what he did before, but he still deserves a lot more credit than you gave him here.

Yeah but fuck all that and disregard the fact the MLB has the smallest playoff field in all major American sports.

FIRE DAYTON.

(.. which honestly I'd get behind that statement if [when] Matheny replaces Neddard Snark as skipper)

duncan_idaho
04-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Yeah but fuck all that and disregard the fact the MLB has the smallest playoff field in all major American sports.

FIRE DAYTON.

(.. which honestly I'd get behind that statement if [when] Matheny replaces Neddard Snark as skipper)

Don’t forget to mention it has the greater economic disparity and small market teams have the hardest road.

ROYC75
04-06-2019, 05:02 PM

I usually agree and respect everything you say about the Royals. The whole post was spot on, DM does have his work cut out for him. The farm is not loaded with talent, but it's not as bad as 1 would think. It's just going to take sometime to continue to bring the talent along,something many here doesn't want to do.

I do think DM can provide a consistent winner if you are looking at it in a 3 yr /10 yr window. But he is going to have to continue to draft well, PU on some veteran talent to mix as he did in 2014-2016 window.

IMHO, as a small market team with a larger portion of bandwagon fans, I just don't think we should expect anything better that this.

dlphg9
04-06-2019, 10:34 PM

I just don't think the organization has any faith in Dozier. The case for not bringing up Lopez isn't very strong. In regards to the 40 man, just DFA Owings or Duda and there is his spot. I wouldn't call bringing up a 24 year old rushing. Also hes had 230 ABs in AAA. No one is trading anything for Owings or Duda, so really is no reason for them to be on the team. Hed slide right into 2B. This season would be much more enjoyable watching the young guys instead of DMs prototypical man crush.

DM has been terrible at drafting and has yet to develop a legit starting pitcher, sure Brad Keller may be the 1st , but im going to give that some time. In his 1st 3 drafts he had the 1st, the 2nd, and the 3rd overall pick and yes those guys developed into decent players, but since then none of our 1st round guys have amounted to much of anything. Our minor league systems has 1 top 100 guy and hes there by default.

Im not denying he did some good things. He turned Grienke(a young starter, Cy Young winner, cheap and not just a 1 year rental) into Cain, Escobar, and Odorizzi. If he would have messed up that deal he should have been fired. Flipped Odorizzi and Wil Myers for James Shields and Wade Davis, both of those guys played big parts in getting to the WS in 2014 and Davis was one the main reasons for us winning in 2015.

Everything DM did from 2013-2015 worked and lucky for us fans and his job security we got a WS championship because of it. A broken clock is right twice a day and DM was lucky enough to have a bunch of wins all during the same time which culminated into 2 pennants and 1 WS win. Im greatful for what DM and Ned were able to give us, but I think it's time for some new management. I think 2013-2015 fogged our memory some and kinda made us forget how incompetent those 2 can be and how bad it was from 2006 - 2012 and 2016 - now. Sure he did some good things in that time, but it was alllooottttt more bad than good.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-07-2019, 12:11 AM
So Ned actually said today that he believed in the bullpen. Said it’s early and can’t get upset. Said if he shows emotions then his players will see that and it will translate to the field. I show emotion every damn time Owings is in the lineup....

tk13
04-07-2019, 12:30 AM
I just don't think the organization has any faith in Dozier. The case for not bringing up Lopez isn't very strong. In regards to the 40 man, just DFA Owings or Duda and there is his spot. I wouldn't call bringing up a 24 year old rushing. Also hes had 230 ABs in AAA. No one is trading anything for Owings or Duda, so really is no reason for them to be on the team. Hed slide right into 2B. This season would be much more enjoyable watching the young guys instead of DMs prototypical man crush.

DM has been terrible at drafting and has yet to develop a legit starting pitcher, sure Brad Keller may be the 1st , but im going to give that some time. In his 1st 3 drafts he had the 1st, the 2nd, and the 3rd overall pick and yes those guys developed into decent players, but since then none of our 1st round guys have amounted to much of anything. Our minor league systems has 1 top 100 guy and hes there by default.

Im not denying he did some good things. He turned Grienke(a young starter, Cy Young winner, cheap and not just a 1 year rental) into Cain, Escobar, and Odorizzi. If he would have messed up that deal he should have been fired. Flipped Odorizzi and Wil Myers for James Shields and Wade Davis, both of those guys played big parts in getting to the WS in 2014 and Davis was one the main reasons for us winning in 2015.

Everything DM did from 2013-2015 worked and lucky for us fans and his job security we got a WS championship because of it. A broken clock is right twice a day and DM was lucky enough to have a bunch of wins all during the same time which culminated into 2 pennants and 1 WS win. Im greatful for what DM and Ned were able to give us, but I think it's time for some new management. I think 2013-2015 fogged our memory some and kinda made us forget how incompetent those 2 can be and how bad it was from 2006 - 2012 and 2016 - now. Sure he did some good things in that time, but it was alllooottttt more bad than good.

To be fair, this organization was such a train wreck when he took over that even getting it to act like a major league franchise was an accomplishment. All the behind the scenes stuff like getting this team to spend money, not just on players but on draft picks and international players. The 2013-15 run happened by spending 2006-12 building one of the best farm systems ever. That was a 5 year run where they won 80+ games every year. The Royals hadn't done that since the 70s.

I said this last year, and I said it again this year... this team will go as far as the bullpen, and the last two years he has done a horrible job of bullpen FA signings. Last year the Maurer/Boyer/Grimm trio sunk us right away. This year isn't looking quite as horrific but they're still blowing games every day. If we had a good bullpen we'd probably be 5-2 or something like that right and everyone would be excited because we haven't even seen any of the talent in the minors yet.

tk13
04-07-2019, 12:48 AM
There's also some luck to it. I agree this team hasn't done a good job of developing starting pitchers, but that's a different conversation if Yordano Ventura is our #1 starter right now.

If Duffy ever got healthy, you'd feel pretty good about Ventura/Keller/Junis/Duffy.

You'd also feel better about the future of the offense if it was Whit/Mondesi/Acuna at the top of the order, but it's not.

dlphg9
04-07-2019, 01:24 AM
There's also some luck to it. I agree this team hasn't done a good job of developing starting pitchers, but that's a different conversation if Yordano Ventura is our #1 starter right now.

If Duffy ever got healthy, you'd feel pretty good about Ventura/Keller/Junis/Duffy.

You'd also feel better about the future of the offense if it was Whit/Mondesi/Acuna at the top of the order, but it's not.

We will never know what Yordano would have become and I was a huge fan, but if you look at his numbers it seemed like be got worse and worse every year in just about every stat. Im not good with advanced numbers and maybe those tell a different story, but here are what his numbers were in the 3 years he was a starter in the majors:

2014: 30 Starts/3.20 ERA/183 IP/1.295 WHIP/8.3 H/9 inn/.7 HR/9 inn/3.4 BB/9 inn/7.8 SO/9 inn

2015: 28 Starts/4.08 ERA/163 IP/1.298 WHIP/8.5 H/9 inn/.8 HR/9 inn/3.2 BB/9 inn/8.6 SO/9 inn

2016: 32 Starts/4.45 ERA/186 IP/1.441 WHIP/9.2 H/9 inn/1.1 HR/9 inn/3.8 BB/9 inn/7.0 SO/9 inn

I am in no way saying that YV sucked just that it's possible that he was starting to decline for some reason.

I don't think a healthy Danny Duffy makes us any better. For some reason he just isn't as good as he was. He had alot of promise, but he's on the wrong side of 30 now. I just wish they could have traded in the offseason after the 2017 season or during the season last year.

dlphg9
04-07-2019, 03:15 AM
To be fair, this organization was such a train wreck when he took over that even getting it to act like a major league franchise was an accomplishment. All the behind the scenes stuff like getting this team to spend money, not just on players but on draft picks and international players. The 2013-15 run happened by spending 2006-12 building one of the best farm systems ever. That was a 5 year run where they won 80+ games every year. The Royals hadn't done that since the 70s.

I said this last year, and I said it again this year... this team will go as far as the bullpen, and the last two years he has done a horrible job of bullpen FA signings. Last year the Maurer/Boyer/Grimm trio sunk us right away. This year isn't looking quite as horrific but they're still blowing games every day. If we had a good bullpen we'd probably be 5-2 or something like that right and everyone would be excited because we haven't even seen any of the talent in the minors yet.

Yes I know they were terrible, but it's pretty easy to turn that around by having multiple top 5 picks. Yeah we had the best farm system in baseball, but that farm system didn't produce any real stars, aside from Salvy or any number 1/2 starting pitchers. Yeah YV could have been, but it's also just as likely that he flames out.

When it comes to spending DM gives out a ton of bad contracts. Sure he's hit on a few reclamation projects, Melky Cabrera for example, he's given out way too much money to guys who were trash.

So sure everyone misses on contracts, but the one thing DM does that is absolutely fucking infuriating, he has this burning desire to make sure that every single year he has the grittiest son of a bitch he can find;

2007 - Dayton Moore finds his first true love in the form of a shitty little SS who couldn't get a hit off of a little leaguer, but damn could he work that glove baby - Tony Pena Jr was his name and getting out was his game.

2008 - Oh we have multiple sacks of shit this year, because in 2007 Dayton had his eyes on another player on the team by the name of Ross Gload. Ross wasn't a complete shit sucker in 2007, so DM became infatuated with him. By 2008 RG was as gritty as they get and he played the game the right way. What more could Moore ask for from his 1st baseman he was all ready playing hard and had 3 HR and a .348 slg % in 122 games. Let's not forget about TPJ, the magician with the glove, he gritted his way to a .398 OPS and -1.8 WAR. That production earned him 95 games and 235 plate appearances.

2009 - Love triangle is over. Move over TPJ, there's a new Willie in town and DM is head over heels. This guy is top 2 in grit and is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. He can play every position on the field and is an offensive juggernaut. Willie Bloomquist posts a .663 OPS and gosh dang it guys who have the ability to be that good at the plate and that good all over the field are hard to find. There's nothing like summer love, but this love is about to come to and end. There is a new grit master on the horizon and DM has been eyeing him for awhile and all it takes to get him is Mark Teahen.

2010 - 2013 - Dayton getz married. Chris Getz. So dreamy. The Master of Grit. Chris Getz loved to get down and dirty, literally. Dayton had to invest in a new washing machine because there wasn't a game in those 4 marvelous seasons that Chris didn't have a dirt or grass stain on his jersey. 4 seasons of bliss for DM, but unfortunately injuries cut this marriage short. Four years of starting at 2nd base for the Royals. Dayton knew that no one else in the system could come close to producing like Chris. A .601 OPS is just too good. If only CG could have stayed healthy. He would be the highest paid Royals and still playing for us. Let us not forget that DM is a slut and monogamy is idiotic, 2011-2013 Dayton had a side piece by the name of Frenchy and Frenchy fooled everyone in 2011. 2011 allowed Frenchy to be around for 2012 and part of 2013.

2014 - 2015 - Dayton has his rebound and becomes a better person, also Royals win the pennant twice and 30 years after their 1st championship they win their 2nd. His name was Omar and he was exotic. Dayton threw money at Omar and Omar comforted Mr. Moore. Omar sucked ass during his time with the Royals, but DM didn't care, he brought a championship to a city for the 1st time in 30 years.

2016-2018 The WS hangover years and God dammit you just cant end a streak like Alshitty had. He sucked shit for so long that you just couldn't stop it. Everyone likes watching a trainwreck right?

2019 - DM has become an alcoholic and after the rollercoaster he was just on he needs someone to enjoy these last few years with. Chris Owings, youre up buddy.

jimidollar
04-07-2019, 07:14 AM
Lol! Fantastic! Made my morning.

ROYC75
04-07-2019, 08:01 AM
Lol! Fantastic! Made my morning.

No shit, where would sports be without Drama Queen fans ?:hmmm:

ILChief
04-07-2019, 08:32 AM
Ironman Owings not in the lineup today

duncan_idaho
04-07-2019, 08:42 AM
Yes I know they were terrible, but it's pretty easy to turn that around by having multiple top 5 picks. Yeah we had the best farm system in baseball, but that farm system didn't produce any real stars, aside from Salvy or any number 1/2 starting pitchers. Yeah YV could have been, but it's also just as likely that he flames out.

When it comes to spending DM gives out a ton of bad contracts. Sure he's hit on a few reclamation projects, Melky Cabrera for example, he's given out way too much money to guys who were trash.

So sure everyone misses on contracts, but the one thing DM does that is absolutely fucking infuriating, he has this burning desire to make sure that every single year he has the grittiest son of a bitch he can find;

2007 - Dayton Moore finds his first true love in the form of a shitty little SS who couldn't get a hit off of a little leaguer, but damn could he work that glove baby - Tony Pena Jr was his name and getting out was his game.

2008 - Oh we have multiple sacks of shit this year, because in 2007 Dayton had his eyes on another player on the team by the name of Ross Gload. Ross wasn't a complete shit sucker in 2007, so DM became infatuated with him. By 2008 RG was as gritty as they get and he played the game the right way. What more could Moore ask for from his 1st baseman he was all ready playing hard and had 3 HR and a .348 slg % in 122 games. Let's not forget about TPJ, the magician with the glove, he gritted his way to a .398 OPS and -1.8 WAR. That production earned him 95 games and 235 plate appearances.

2009 - Love triangle is over. Move over TPJ, there's a new Willie in town and DM is head over heels. This guy is top 2 in grit and is the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. He can play every position on the field and is an offensive juggernaut. Willie Bloomquist posts a .663 OPS and gosh dang it guys who have the ability to be that good at the plate and that good all over the field are hard to find. There's nothing like summer love, but this love is about to come to and end. There is a new grit master on the horizon and DM has been eyeing him for awhile and all it takes to get him is Mark Teahen.

2010 - 2013 - Dayton getz married. Chris Getz. So dreamy. The Master of Grit. Chris Getz loved to get down and dirty, literally. Dayton had to invest in a new washing machine because there wasn't a game in those 4 marvelous seasons that Chris didn't have a dirt or grass stain on his jersey. 4 seasons of bliss for DM, but unfortunately injuries cut this marriage short. Four years of starting at 2nd base for the Royals. Dayton knew that no one else in the system could come close to producing like Chris. A .601 OPS is just too good. If only CG could have stayed healthy. He would be the highest paid Royals and still playing for us. Let us not forget that DM is a slut and monogamy is idiotic, 2011-2013 Dayton had a side piece by the name of Frenchy and Frenchy fooled everyone in 2011. 2011 allowed Frenchy to be around for 2012 and part of 2013.

2014 - 2015 - Dayton has his rebound and becomes a better person, also Royals win the pennant twice and 30 years after their 1st championship they win their 2nd. His name was Omar and he was exotic. Dayton threw money at Omar and Omar comforted Mr. Moore. Omar sucked ass during his time with the Royals, but DM didn't care, he brought a championship to a city for the 1st time in 30 years.

2016-2018 The WS hangover years and God dammit you just cant end a streak like Alshitty had. He sucked shit for so long that you just couldn't stop it. Everyone likes watching a trainwreck right?

2019 - DM has become an alcoholic and after the rollercoaster he was just on he needs someone to enjoy these last few years with. Chris Owings, youre up buddy.

Oh my word. Where to start...

First: If top draft picks were all it took to turn a team around, why do teams get stuck in perpetual cycles of suck? It happens.

The MLB draft is a bigger crapshoot than the NFL or NBA. By far. You don’t have very many known quantities.

And the Royals system wasn’t just built on #1 picks. You can’t build a system that way. It was built with good top picks, by nabbing a lot of talent in the later rounds by paying big bonuses to guys drafted later, by bringing in talent from Latin America, and by making good trades.

It also should be noted that he was able to turn that into two WS appearances and a WS title for a small market team. Many GMs have not been able to close the deal on that. He deserves credit for it.

Second (from a previous post of yours)
You can’t say “the Royals haven’t developed any starting pitchers” when Duffy, Ventura and Junis are around. If you want to say they haven’t developed enough of them or high enough quality, OK. But you can’t sum it at zero. It’s inaccurate.

Third:
When the team is not good, it’s going to sign cheap, stop-gap veterans to fill the major league roster. Those guys are going to play a lot and be not good. That’s how it works. And it’s better than short-changing the development frame of players.

People freaked out about Escobar last year. He was signed because they wanted Mondesi to earn the job by actually improving in some areas (health, consistency, approach at plate). All have happened. He’s a better player for having had to return to Omaha and improve.

I’ll close with this:
Moore deserves criticism in some arenas. He hasn’t been perfect. The Infante contract blew up on him. Alex Gordon fell off a cliff 2-3 years before anyone expected it. Ian Kennedy has been a real disaster.

His faith and loyalty to players and staff is a weakness at times (and a strength at others). It’s an issue when it blocks legitimate players they need to play, who are ready (like Dozier and O’Hearn). It’s been an asset many times, too (with Zack Greinke, with Moustakas, Homer, Cain, and Gordon)

The farm system is pointed up. The Royals have moved from a bottom 5 system at this time last year to a top half system that will improve.

And it’s not being done just through big ticket expenses at the top of the draft. It’s being done by changing the profile of guys the Royals go after (they seem to have learned their lesson on the volatile HS pitchers they spent much of the first half of this decade burning draft capital on) and finding more players late in the draft.

This year’s major league team isn’t going to be good. It never was.

A better bullpen and Nicky Lopez might make it a 75 win team instead of a 65-win team. But who cares?

Clearly not many Royals fans, who want to limit conversation to 2014 and 2015 and not talk about the winning season in 2013, and the competitive seasons in 2017 and 2016, in which the team had a chance late.

There are things to watch and want to see happen. Merrifield. Mondesi. Soler. Keller. Junis. Jorge Lopez. The young relievers, when they come up, later.

The rest of it really doesn’t matter. F

ROYC75
04-07-2019, 08:55 AM
Oh my word. Where to start...

First: If top draft picks were all it took to turn a team around, why do teams get stuck in perpetual cycles of suck? It happens.

The MLB draft is a bigger crapshoot than the NFL or NBA. By far. You don’t have very many known quantities.

And the Royals system wasn’t just built on #1 picks. You can’t build a system that way. It was built with good top picks, by nabbing a lot of talent in the later rounds by paying big bonuses to guys drafted later, by bringing in talent from Latin America, and by making good trades.

It also should be noted that he was able to turn that into two WS appearances and a WS title for a small market team. Many GMs have not been able to close the deal on that. He deserves credit for it.

Second (from a previous post of yours)
You can’t say “the Royals haven’t developed any starting pitchers” when Duffy, Ventura and Junis are around. If you want to say they haven’t developed enough of them or high enough quality, OK. But you can’t sum it at zero. It’s inaccurate.

Third:
When the team is not good, it’s going to sign cheap, stop-gap veterans to fill the major league roster. Those guys are going to play a lot and be not good. That’s how it works. And it’s better than short-changing the development frame of players.

People freaked out about Escobar last year. He was signed because they wanted Mondesi to earn the job by actually improving in some areas (health, consistency, approach at plate). All have happened. He’s a better player for having had to return to Omaha and improve.

I’ll close with this:
Moore deserves criticism in some arenas. He hasn’t been perfect. The Infante contract blew up on him. Alex Gordon fell off a cliff 2-3 years before anyone expected it. Ian Kennedy has been a real disaster.

His faith and loyalty to players and staff is a weakness at times (and a strength at others). It’s an issue when it blocks legitimate players they need to play, who are ready (like Dozier and O’Hearn). It’s been an asset many times, too (with Zack Greinke, with Moustakas, Homer, Cain, and Gordon)

The farm system is pointed up. The Royals have moved from a bottom 5 system at this time last year to a top half system that will improve.

And it’s not being done just through big ticket expenses at the top of the draft. It’s being done by changing the profile of guys the Royals go after (they seem to have learned their lesson on the volatile HS pitchers they spent much of the first half of this decade burning draft capital on) and finding more players late in the draft.

This year’s major league team isn’t going to be good. It never was.

A better bullpen and Nicky Lopez might make it a 75 win team instead of a 65-win team. But who cares?

Clearly not many Royals fans, who want to limit conversation to 2014 and 2015 and not talk about the winning season in 2013, and the competitive seasons in 2017 and 2016, in which the team had a chance late.

There are things to watch and want to see happen. Merrifield. Mondesi. Soler. Keller. Junis. Jorge Lopez. The young relievers, when they come up, later.
The rest of it really doesn’t matter. F

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You got my 3 cheers but soon the Drama Queen fans and kneejerkers will be here to tell us how much we are wrong!

You are Oh so spot on about the draft, to the uninformed all of our #1's and #2's should be in the majors in 2 years! Boy I wish they could mature and prosper that quick.

Again, props on trying to help explain this to them!

OKchiefs
04-07-2019, 09:00 AM
I agree with most of what Duncan said, even if I am pretty critical of Moore. However, I'm not sure I'd call the farm system top half yet. Let's see how they do this year.

duncan_idaho
04-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Should also say, re: criticism of Moore, they didn’t draft well enough once the system changed before 2012. Zimmer was bad luck. But those drafts had too many hollow high picks for the Royals to survive without missing a beat.

But they have made a huge change in draft strategy starting in 16. Its paying off in the way the system is turning.

duncan_idaho
04-07-2019, 09:07 AM
I agree with most of what Duncan said, even if I am pretty critical of Moore. However, I'm not sure I'd call the farm system top half yet. Let's see how they do this year.

That's fair, man.

They aren't a consensus top 1/2 system. MLB and Baseball America are the two most look at first, and they're in the low 20s in those.

Baseball Prospectus is the one I pay for and trust the most, and they're 16th in that list (technically just on the other side of the top half). That's what I tend to reference.

I like Baseball Prospectus because they look deeper and at players that are farther away, and are less influenced by the "closeness" of players, and less lkely to rank high floor, low ceiling guys in their top 100 list.

I think that's more realistic than the way Baseball America approaches it. Example:

Casey Mize is ranked like an elite prospect by Baseball America and MLB.com (top 20). His upside is that of a 3/4 starter, but his floor is a 5th starter.

BWillie
04-07-2019, 10:10 AM
Gordon playing like an All Star 29 Abs in. So theres that!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-07-2019, 10:27 AM
Owings is out!!!! But Duda is in

Titty Meat
04-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Dont worry bullpen will blow in later on

Bowser
04-07-2019, 10:46 AM
Gordon playing like an All Star 29 Abs in. So theres that!

https://media.tenor.co/images/b6c37d58fc6e1d0d6323d90c179bc7a5/raw

SAUTO
04-07-2019, 10:57 AM
No one wanted to play us the last part of 2013. I remember Duncan. We were HOT

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-07-2019, 11:00 AM
I’d rather have Duda then Owings but O Hearn should be in the lineup everyday. Schwindel should be the DH. Soler in RF and Whit back to his normal position at second. Gordon has been playing like an all star. Yost said Ynoa could be a option in the bullpen. I don’t even know where to start on who to get rid of first. Probably McCarthy or Peralta

Prison Bitch
04-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Gordon was really bad in 2017 but other than that he’s been ok. He’s off to a decent start too. I doubt that contract will end up being very bad. Ian Kennedy tho needs to consider suicide

tk13
04-07-2019, 11:29 AM
We will never know what Yordano would have become and I was a huge fan, but if you look at his numbers it seemed like be got worse and worse every year in just about every stat. Im not good with advanced numbers and maybe those tell a different story, but here are what his numbers were in the 3 years he was a starter in the majors:

2014: 30 Starts/3.20 ERA/183 IP/1.295 WHIP/8.3 H/9 inn/.7 HR/9 inn/3.4 BB/9 inn/7.8 SO/9 inn

2015: 28 Starts/4.08 ERA/163 IP/1.298 WHIP/8.5 H/9 inn/.8 HR/9 inn/3.2 BB/9 inn/8.6 SO/9 inn

2016: 32 Starts/4.45 ERA/186 IP/1.441 WHIP/9.2 H/9 inn/1.1 HR/9 inn/3.8 BB/9 inn/7.0 SO/9 inn

I am in no way saying that YV sucked just that it's possible that he was starting to decline for some reason.

I don't think a healthy Danny Duffy makes us any better. For some reason he just isn't as good as he was. He had alot of promise, but he's on the wrong side of 30 now. I just wish they could have traded in the offseason after the 2017 season or during the season last year.

It's all speculation, but he was entering his mid to late 20's "prime" years where a lot of pitchers figure out how to actually pitch and not just throw it by guys.

And remember he pitched much better in the 2nd half of 2016. In the 2nd half he posted a 3.73 ERA with 2 CG. He wasn't completely lights out but he looked like a solid starting pitcher.

Prison Bitch
04-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Should also say, re: criticism of Moore, they didn’t draft well enough once the system changed before 2012. Zimmer was bad luck. But those drafts had too many hollow high picks for the Royals to survive without missing a beat.

But they have made a huge change in draft strategy starting in 16. Its paying off in the way the system is turning.

A bit surprised you are avoiding the attendance discussion. I’m calling it a near crisis while others say “meh”. This topic is going to really come to the forefront publicly this summer - mark my words. You know how I’m always ahead of the curve bro.

For those saying it’s just cause we ain’t winnin.....I encourage you to look up attendance figures at peer cities like Mil-Denver-Cinci. CIN been garbage last 5 years, attendance: 2.5, 2.4, 1.9, 1.8, 1.6. We did 1.6 last year and won’t touch it this year.

Chiefspants
04-07-2019, 01:09 PM
A bit surprised you are avoiding the attendance discussion. I’m calling it a near crisis while others say “meh”. This topic is going to really come to the forefront publicly this summer - mark my words. You know how I’m always ahead of the curve bro.

For those saying it’s just cause we ain’t winnin.....I encourage you to look up attendance figures at peer cities like Mil-Denver-Cinci. CIN been garbage last 5 years, attendance: 2.5, 2.4, 1.9, 1.8, 1.6. We did 1.6 last year and won’t touch it this year.

Out of curiosity, what was our attendance like during our other 100 loss years? (2004-2006)

tk13
04-07-2019, 01:29 PM

You are obsessed with this. You keep ignoring the fact that the season starts in late March now. School isn't out and the weather has generally been cold.

On top of that, the fan base has had a taste of success. In the 2000s they had multiple years of about 1.3 million when they were terrible, and that was when you could literally get upper deck tickets for $5.

tk13
04-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Out of curiosity, what was our attendance like during our other 100 loss years? (2004-2006)

2004 was better but remember we were coming off the winning 2003 season and had just signed all those free agents (Juan Gonzalez, Benito Santiago, etc). 2005-06 they drew 1.3 million both years. And that was with way cheaper ticket prices and parking than we have now.

dlphg9
04-07-2019, 01:53 PM
No shit, where would sports be without Drama Queen fans ?:hmmm:

Drama queen fans? So criticism makes someone a drama queen? Blind homerism is much worse than criticism. Everyone was calling for DM and Neds head at the all star break in 2014. Thankfully we went on an absolute tear from July 22nd to August 27th going 26-8 and went from 3rd to 1st place. They lost the lead in September, but they damn near pulled off taking the AL Central going 6-2 in their last 8 games. Started that stretch at 2 games back and ended it at 1. I just like going back and looking at that stuff, but my point is that had they not gotten hot then DM may not have been here the next year. Man looking back at that year our O was pretty bad, not one guy with 20 HRs or even 80 RBIs. But the pitching staff more than made up for it that year. That bullpen was other worldly

ROYC75
04-07-2019, 02:43 PM
Drama queen fans? So criticism makes someone a drama queen? Blind homerism is much worse than criticism. Everyone was calling for DM and Neds head at the all star break in 2014. Thankfully we went on an absolute tear from July 22nd to August 27th going 26-8 and went from 3rd to 1st place. They lost the lead in September, but they damn near pulled off taking the AL Central going 6-2 in their last 8 games. Started that stretch at 2 games back and ended it at 1. I just like going back and looking at that stuff, but my point is that had they not gotten hot then DM may not have been here the next year. Man looking back at that year our O was pretty bad, not one guy with 20 HRs or even 80 RBIs. But the pitching staff more than made up for it that year. That bullpen was other worldly

Oh, I agree that blind homerism is out there abundantly. IMHO, it's part of the makeup of a drama queen fan. They are so damn quick to bitch about something, anything that has gone wrong and yet have no idea how to fix it. They are quick to call for the quick executions with a lost game forgetting the facts that players,coaches and management are just as imperfect as they are. Yet they want to boast in the glory that they might know something or are pissed off about a certain player and /or game ect.

Yes 2014 was a good example, yet even the decent season of 2013 when we finished strong there were people calling for Ned's and DM's heads. Even during the 2015 season there were plenty of members here calling Ned stupid, Ned doesn't know how to use HDH, etc. or that DM needs to get rid of this guy, bring up this guy, etc. Even during the during 2016 we heard them calling out how stupid Ned and DM were.

Let's face it, some people you just can not please. FTR, you can not please them if you hung them with a new rope. :D

Titty Meat
04-07-2019, 03:48 PM

I called this out 2 years ago and you were nowhere to be found.

Chiefspants
04-07-2019, 04:17 PM
I called this out 2 years ago and you were nowhere to be found.

PB was very much calling this two years ago as well.

ChiefsCountry
04-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Go to 1977 and look up the attendance numbers per game early season. Or any random year actually.

Prison Bitch
04-08-2019, 07:07 AM
Go to 1977 and look up the attendance numbers per game early season. Or any random year actually.

No. You’re the one making the point so why don’t you look up the data and post it for us. That’s how it works.

Titty Meat
04-08-2019, 08:52 AM

There was zero buzz for opening day this year and nobody talks about the Royals now.

Funny to think just a few years ago people were claiming KC is a baseball town.