PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Bet nobody has ever done anything this stupid...

MTG#10
03-31-2019, 05:11 PM
I was trying to change the oil on an old (early 90's) Craftsman mower today but the drain plug was seized. Shot it with PB Blaster several times, tried heating it up, but nothing would get the damn nut off. Finally I cranked it so damn hard it broke the threads off the aluminum block.

My brother told me to try one of these (https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1054-02608.aspx?origin=keyword) but I'm pretty sure it'll be too big to fit.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this? I dont care if I have to permanently seal the hole to where I can never change the oil again, I just want one or two more seasons out of this old mower then I'll haul it off to the junk yard.

SAUTO
03-31-2019, 05:15 PM
They have a lot of different sizes. Oil will kill that rubber fast.

MTG#10
03-31-2019, 05:16 PM
They have a lot of different sizes. Oil will kill that rubber fast.

That 3/4" is the smallest one I could find online. Any other ideas?

SAUTO
03-31-2019, 05:17 PM
How big is the hole? That picture isn't very good...

Coogs
03-31-2019, 05:17 PM
That 3/4" is the smallest one I could find online. Any other ideas?

Drill the hole out a little bigger? :shrug:

SAUTO
03-31-2019, 05:18 PM
Is there any thickness to that metal? Could you try an oversized drain plug that would cut it's own threads?

Baby Lee
03-31-2019, 05:19 PM
Do you have a tap set? Rethread kit?

Is it a Briggs or Tecumseh?

Flying High D
03-31-2019, 05:19 PM
Sergio could plug it.

SAUTO
03-31-2019, 05:20 PM
They have single over, double over, and triple over.

ChiefaRoo
03-31-2019, 05:21 PM
Drill it out, then flip it over and spank it.

In58men
03-31-2019, 05:23 PM
I caught my apartment on fire.

MTG#10
How big is the hole? That picture isn't very good...

Is there any thickness to that metal? Could you try an oversized drain plug that would cut it's own threads?

Hole is 1/2". Not a lot of thickness, its the bottom of an old Briggs engine.

SAUTO
You'd have to grind all that flat to get a seal on it.

chinaski
03-31-2019, 05:24 PM
Drill and Tap should fix that right up.

Baby Lee
03-31-2019, 05:24 PM
If you can get taps. Figure out the smallest diameter you can make new threads, given the destroyed portion of the block. Then look around to see if you can find a oil drain plug from a bigger application, say automobile blocks and go get a replacement plug for that.

If you can't find a proper oil plug, go with fine thread retap and just use a regular bolt. The oil/crankcase isn't under pressure, so the threads just have to overcome the force of gravity on the oil. They also have flat washers with rubber on one side you can use to get a better seal if you grind the block back flat at the oil fill spot, if you need to.

MTG#10
03-31-2019, 05:27 PM
You'd have to grind all that flat to get a seal on it.

With the oil all around wouldn't that ignite the oil?

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2019, 05:29 PM
I caught my apartment on fire.

That was my first thought when I saw the thread title.

Baby Lee
03-31-2019, 05:29 PM
With the oil all around wouldn't that ignite the oil?

you'll have to drain it and wipe it down, but oil isn't flammable in the sense that it'll explode like gasoline. It would just smolder slowly if you got a spark into it somehow even after draining and cleaning the area. It's less refined than even lamp oil.

TLO
03-31-2019, 05:37 PM
But does your dick smell like pancakes?

MTG#10
03-31-2019, 05:37 PM
I dont have a tap set but I can buy one. How do I determine if its regular threads or pipe threads?

TrebMaxx
03-31-2019, 05:47 PM
I would find the replacement plug that could be used and tap the hole for that size. The plug will determine the thread type.

Tombstone RJ
03-31-2019, 05:59 PM
I was trying to change the oil on an old (early 90's) Craftsman mower today but the drain plug was seized. Shot it with PB Blaster several times, tried heating it up, but nothing would get the damn nut off. Finally I cranked it so damn hard it broke the threads off the aluminum block.

My brother told me to try one of these (https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1054-02608.aspx?origin=keyword) but I'm pretty sure it'll be too big to fit.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could fix this? I dont care if I have to permanently seal the hole to where I can never change the oil again, I just want one or two more seasons out of this old mower then I'll haul it off to the junk yard.

Leave it alone, just tip the mower over and drain it from the pour-in cap/spout?

Buehler445
03-31-2019, 06:04 PM
I'd drill it out, tap it to 3/8" Pipe thread and install this.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61sfbmeDulL._SL1050_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VCI1LE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

farmerchief
03-31-2019, 06:06 PM
Grind it flat if you can, get the self tapping drain plug that's a little bigger than the hole, then mix a little job weld and coat the plug while inserting,,,,,sort of like this

Drain just about every drop of oil from the mower.
Clean the drain plug opening thoroughly with brake cleaner or acetone and let the mower sit until the oil pan drain opening is perfectly dry
Mix the JB Weld. Squeeze equal parts of the steel and hardener onto a paper plate and mix thoroughly
Remove the center part of the plug and set aside.
Apply JB Weld to the threads of the oil pan drain plug, both sides of the attached gasket, and the drain plug opening in the oil pan.
Screw the oil pan drain plug into place. We used an artist's paintbrush to apply the JB Weld to the plug, gasket, and oil pan drain opening and we applied some JB Weld around the plug once it was inserted, for added security.

Good luck

Flying High D
03-31-2019, 06:28 PM
Helicoil that bitch.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Nope. I’ve never done anything that stupid.

Sassy Squatch
03-31-2019, 06:55 PM
Buy a new mower and save yourself the effort.

TribalElder
03-31-2019, 07:23 PM
I'd drill it out, tap it to 3/8" Pipe thread and install this.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61sfbmeDulL._SL1050_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VCI1LE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:clap:

fumoto valve was going to be my suggestion

Naptown Chief
03-31-2019, 08:59 PM

This. I'd also like to know OP's favorite cheese, semen color, and if we're signing that POS or not.

BWillie
03-31-2019, 09:01 PM
Throw it away. Buy new lawnmower. You're welcome

Coogs
04-01-2019, 05:24 AM
It does seem like a lot of effort just to try and squeeze another year or two out of a 25 year old mower. What kind of mower is it? Push mower?

ChiefGator
04-01-2019, 05:45 AM
JB Weld

This was absolutely a part of my solution.. ;)

That Fumoto oil drain valve could let you get 5-10 more years out of that thing! Definitely worth it...

cron912
04-01-2019, 07:13 AM
Either drill & tap it or just JB Weld it shut

loochy
04-01-2019, 08:48 AM
I go with just drill it out bigger, tap it, and put a new bolt in. It should take 15 minutes tops.

Dartgod
04-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Bet nobody has ever done anything this stupid...

ROFL

You haven't been paying attention.

MTG#10
04-01-2019, 03:41 PM
It does seem like a lot of effort just to try and squeeze another year or two out of a 25 year old mower. What kind of mower is it? Push mower?
No its an old Made in the US Craftsman rider. Other than this issue its been nails. They dont build them like they used to.

Radar Chief
04-01-2019, 03:57 PM
Heli-Coil or E-Z Lock it.
Or just go to your local Fastenal, tell them what you've got and they'll set you up with a threaded insert kit like a Heli-Coil or E-Z Lock.

ghak99
04-01-2019, 03:59 PM
If there's not enough metal left to tap it right with a flat seal surface and if you only need two years out of it, just shove some jb weld quick stick in it and go. That crap has been used to fill broken crankcase cracks in the motocross world for years. If you ever feel like you really need to change the oil just drill a hole in it and then fill the hole with some more. Make sure you get the variety made to withstand engine temps.

MTG#10
04-01-2019, 04:04 PM
If there's not enough metal left to tap it right with a flat seal surface and if you only need two years out of it, just shove some jb weld quick stick in it and go. That crap has been used to fill broken crankcase cracks in the motocross world for years. If you ever feel like you really need to change the oil just drill a hole in it and then fill the hole with some more. Make sure you get the variety made to withstand engine temps.

Wouldn't a 1/2" hole be hard to fill with JB Weld? That was actually the first thing I thought of but I haven't messed with that stuff in years.

BeMyValentine
04-01-2019, 04:09 PM
JB Weld a bolt in that hole. You can pump out oil from the dipstick if you ever want to change the oil.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2019, 07:07 PM
No its an old Made in the US Craftsman rider. Other than this issue its been nails. They dont build them like they used to.

I thought it was a push mower... never mind on the tipping it over...

Rausch
04-01-2019, 07:20 PM
I drank a six pack of vitamin water zeros today and shit 7 times in the last two hours so...

threebag
04-01-2019, 07:54 PM

The syrup is really sweet

ghak99
04-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't a 1/2" hole be hard to fill with JB Weld? That was actually the first thing I thought of but I haven't messed with that stuff in years.

It's not a liquid. It's a two part clay putty type of stuff so it's easier to work with on big gaps. You mix them together and a chemical reaction causes it to get very hot to the touch. It will adhere to oily surfaces fairly well, but it's best to clean the area as much as possible.

Sauto is probably having a heart attack reading me suggest this stuff, but there are thousands of cracked bike and quad cases being held together with this stuff.

SAUTO
04-01-2019, 08:56 PM
It's not a liquid. It's a two part clay putty type of stuff so it's easier to work with on big gaps. You mix them together and a chemical reaction causes it to get very hot to the touch. It will adhere to oily surfaces fairly well, but it's best to clean the area as much as possible.

Sauto is probably having a heart attack reading me suggest this stuff, but there are thousands of cracked bike and quad cases being held together with this stuff.

Oh i'm all for it but I would think it's going to leak if he doesn't get it good and clean

SAUTO
04-01-2019, 08:57 PM
But that doesn't really matter. Just keep it full lol

stevieray
04-01-2019, 09:01 PM
Oh i'm all for it but I would think it's going to leak if he doesn't get it good and clean

^^^

TrebMaxx
04-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Clean the hell out of that surface and JB weld a nut over the hole. Then just use a washer and a bolt.

Valiant
04-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you tried to get one or two years out of the mower a few years ago and forgot.

I would just go buy a new used instead of spending hours on it.