PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Greatest Movie Franchises of All Time - Eastern Division Round 1

DaFace
04-10-2019, 10:35 AM
The bracket is set! The following have been eliminated in the play-in round (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322234):
Godzilla
Abbott and Costello
Scream
Saw
Underworld
Scary Movie
Clint Eastwood's orangutan films. Any Which Way But Loose, etc.
Resident Evil
Death Wish
Child's Play
Jack Reacher
Pitch Perfect
Expendables, The
Final Destination
Toxic Avenger, The
Sherlock Holmes w/ Robert Downey Jr.
Red
Legally Blonde
Madea

You can view the entire tournament bracket here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8LPJwv-1hy600fjMMNknfWmv2qGXUP6e7-smgp3Yyo/edit#gid=633401577) as we go along, but we'll start with the Eastern division:

https://i.imgur.com/H198Kof.png

Please vote for the franchise in each pair that you feel is most deserving of being in consideration for the Greatest Movie Franchise of All Time. I'll put one of these up every day or two as we go along. So vote!

Possible Concerns and Responses:
A franchise I like isn't on the list! Too bad. Nominations are closed. This is just a fun offseason diversion, but feel free to complain in the thread if it will make you feel better.
There's something on the list that I don't even think is a franchise! Don't vote for it.
There's something on the list that I don't recognize. Yeah, there are a few that I don't recognize either. If you feel generous, look it up and determine if you think it's worthy. Or just don't vote for it. Either option is allowed.
The seeding seems weird (or there's something I have no idea how it got in there. The seeding is based on total estimated tickets from Box Office Mojo, but some older franchises were randomly seeded since we don't have any data available about their ticket sales. Again, if you don't feel something is deserving, don't vote for it!

notorious
04-10-2019, 10:38 AM
If Indiana Jones eventually loses to Harry Potter I am going to hunt down the people that voted for Potter and shove a broomstick up their ass.

DaFace
04-10-2019, 10:44 AM
If Indiana Jones eventually loses to Harry Potter I am going to hunt down the people that voted for Potter and shove a broomstick up their ass.

With our demographic, I'd be pretty surprised. HP vs The Matrix could be a tough battle, though. (At least that's my prediction for who will make it through to round 2.)

Jerm
04-10-2019, 10:50 AM
Jaws/Hallowen series match up is a heart breaker for me...my two favorite movies lol.

Halloween is the better series though.

Shoes
04-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Predator is gonna lose to HP which is sad since the first Predator is an absolute classic. The rest of the Predator series is dog shit though. Also thought Rambo got a tough first round matchup.

Matrix as a 10 seed is DANGEROUS

Frazod
04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Predator is gonna lose to HP which is sad since the first Predator is an absolute classic. The rest of the Predator series is dog shit though. Also thought Rambo got a tough first round matchup.

Matrix is like Jaws - the first movie is amazing and a game changer. The rest suck.

Chief Roundup
04-10-2019, 11:13 AM
What is Marvel Cinematic Universe and Hammer Horror? Never heard of those.

Rausch
04-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Why no "Living Dead" franchise?

Zombies are big business man...

Why Not?
04-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Jaws/Hallowen series match up is a heart breaker for me...my two favorite movies lol.

Halloween is the better series though.

Agree with your emotion. Very tough draw. Ultimately I went with the more impactful franchise. The Halloween movies are great scares. Jaws changed the way millions of people view the ocean.

Why Not?
04-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Matrix is like Jaws - the first movie is amazing and a game changer. The rest suck.

Jaws 2 was decent. 3D is fun and entertaining. 4 is a POS.

HonestChieffan
04-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Talk like that and a Potterite could summon a patronus and hammer you into bits.

DaFace
04-10-2019, 11:50 AM
What is Marvel Cinematic Universe and Hammer Horror? Never heard of those.

The MCU is all of the Avengers movies (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc.). Hammer Horror I don't know much about, but I think this article outlines the key films included:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_Film_Productions#Key_horror_films

loochy
04-10-2019, 11:52 AM
F the Marvel 1 seed. Comic book stuff sucks.

ptlyon
04-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Jaws changed the way millions of people view the ocean.

Jaws changed the way I peed in a toilet when I was 5

DaFace
04-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Like it or not, they crank out movies and sell a shit ton of tickets.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/?view=Franchise&sort=sumgross&order=DESC&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

ClevelandBronco
04-10-2019, 12:25 PM
I think I need to work on my cultural touchstones.

Marvel Cinematic Universe vs. Dracula – Haven't seen any of them.

Hammer Horror vs. Ghostbusters – Haven't seen any of them.

Jaws vs Halloween – I saw Jaws.

Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Smokey and the Bandit – I saw Smokey and the Bandit, and I didn't know there was more than one.

Toy Story vs. Dirty Harry – Finally. I saw the first Toy Story and all the Dirty Harry films.

Indiana Jones vs. Rambo – Haven't seen any of them.

Hope and Crosby "Road to..." vs. The Matrix – Haven't seen any of them.

Harry Potter vs. Predator – I saw maybe one, maybe two Potters. No Predators.

BIG_DADDY
04-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Godfather movies

eDave
04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Big business but I voted towards the ones "I" like.

I don't Marvel.

loochy
04-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Big business but I voted towards the ones "I" like.

I don't Marvel.

Exactly. That's how I rolled as well.

TLO
04-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Yes

Rain Man
04-10-2019, 12:55 PM

You never saw Raiders of the Lost Ark? That's like never having a piece of pizza, or never seeing a Patrick Mahomes deep ball.

DJ's left nut
04-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Toy Story is gonna Cinderella Story this shit all the way to the Elite 8. Damn shame they got put in the bracket with the Wooden Era Bruins.

Waaaaaay underseeded. I think you're underestimating the 'dads that have to find something for their children to watch that doesn't completely suck' crowd 'round here.

DJ's left nut
04-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Your problem with the Predator series is the same problem with The Matrix.

That series just came off the rails, man. The third one is damn near unwatchable and the CGI looks like bad video game cut scenes at this point; aged incredibly poorly.

I voted for it because I haven't even seen the Bob Hope films. I may even vote for it against Harry Potter because !@#$ Harry Potter. But it'll get fisted by Toy Story or Indiana Jones (whoever comes out of that bloodbath)

Rain Man
04-10-2019, 01:05 PM
I went with:

Dracula over Marvel - I haven't seen many marvel movies, but I prefer plot over watching people fight.

Ghostbusters over Hammer - Tour de force performance by the marshmallow man.

Halloween over Jaws - Jaws unfairly stereotypes sharks.

Pirates of the Caribbean over Smokey and the Bandit - Tough one. Both have strong merits. I just like the performance of that pirate guy a lot.

Toy Story over Dirty Harry - I'm not into shoot-em-ups, and Woody solves conflicts without drawing his gun.

Indiana Jones over Rambo - I'm not a Rambo fan, and the opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark may be the best opening scene ever in a movie. Indy's going to be tough to beat in this tournament.

Hope and Crosby over Matrix - The Hope and Crosby movies are very dated, but they were innovative in their time and I can still watch them with mild interest 70 years later.

Harry Potter over Predator - I'm ambivalent here and have only seen one from each group, but Harry was more visually appealing.

DJJasonp
04-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Had to take Halloween over Jaws. While the original of both - it can be argued - had similar impacts to their respective genres......Halloween had follow-ups that ranged from great (#2) to tolerable.

Everything after the original Jaws sucked ass.

Shoes
04-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Your problem with the Predator series is the same problem with The Matrix.

That series just came off the rails, man. The third one is damn near unwatchable and the CGI looks like bad video game cut scenes at this point; aged incredibly poorly.

I voted for it because I haven't even seen the Bob Hope films. I may even vote for it against Harry Potter because !@#$ Harry Potter. But it'll get fisted by Toy Story or Indiana Jones (whoever comes out of that bloodbath)

This is fair criticism- I think the second Matrix film isn't as bad as most say. It doesn't live up to the hype of the first movie though, agree that the 3rd Matrix movie is dog shit. I strongly dislike every Predator movie other than the original though (haven't seen the latest one made in 2018 though).

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:36 PM

No shit. I thought CP had better taste. I'm really surprised that Hammer is losing to fucking Ghostbusters.

That is some Uber-sad shit right there.

DaFace
04-10-2019, 01:39 PM
No shit. I thought CP had better taste. I'm really surprised that Hammer is losing to fucking Ghostbusters.

That is some Uber-sad shit right there.

I suspect most don't even know what the Hammer stuff is (myself included).

Rain Man
04-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Had to take Halloween over Jaws. While the original of both - it can be argued - had similar impacts to their respective genres......Halloween had follow-ups that ranged from great (#2) to tolerable.

Everything after the original Jaws sucked ass.

I've never seen Jaws, and a few months ago I flipped through the channels and saw a shark killing someone and thought, "Maybe I should check this out." I watched a bit of it and was thinking, "This is horrible. What is that cinematic feces? Why was this so highly regarded?" Eventually something happened that I didn't think happened in Jaws, and so I looked at the title. It was Jaw III.

Man, that was a really bad movie.

KC_Lee
04-10-2019, 01:40 PM
MCU over Dracula; MCU just a stronger franchise and more of a true definition of a movie franchise

Hammer Horror over Ghostbusters; a sequal does not a franchise make, the Hammer Horror movies (Dracula, Frankenstein) followed the same characters over the span of multiple movies

Jaws over Halloween; the original idea for Halloween was an anthogy series of movies with no connection to each other (see Halloween 3: Season of the Witch) that was forced into being a franchise. Both movie series started strong and ended goofy

Pirates of the Caribbean over Smokey and the Bandit; Bandit is an American treasure of a character but the series again got too goofy after the fist sequal

Dirty Harry over Toy Story; Harry Callahan another American treasure of cinema

Indiana Jones over Rambo; tough choice, had to go with the Indy.

Hope and Crosby "Road to..." over The Matrix; the Matrix movies got way to up thier own ass after the first

Harry Potter over Predator; got to take my daughter to all the Harry Potter movies as she grew up, can't buy those memories I got to share with her, Harry wins

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:44 PM
I suspect most don't even know what the Hammer stuff is (myself included).

Hammer is the English horror studio founded in 1934 where a young Peter Cushing plied his trade as "Van Helsing" among other characters. Christopher Lee is also a Hammer alumni.

Rain Man
04-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Hammer is the English horror studio founded in 1934 where a young Peter Cushing plied his trade as "Van Helsing" among other characters. Christopher Lee is also a Hammer alumni.

Any giant marshmallow men? That's what gets my vote in this round.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:47 PM
I've never seen Jaws, and a few months ago I flipped through the channel and saw a shark killing someone and thought, "Maybe I should check this out." I watched a bit of it and was thinking, "This is horrible. What is that feces?" Eventually something happened that I didn't think happened in Jaws, and so I looked at the title. It was Jaw III.

ROFL Oh God; you really got the worst one! The original with Roy Schieder and Richard Dreyfuss is absolutely wonderful. You really should give it a go on a rainy day.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:48 PM

LMAO

No.

KC_Lee
04-10-2019, 01:48 PM

No but Gran Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) plays Dr. Frankenstein and creates a monster that is Darth Vader (David Prowse).

And as SDH stated; Christopher Lee is a Hammer Alum. So lots of Star Wars ties to Hammer Horror.

ptlyon
04-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Where is Space Balls in all of this?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Toy Story ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Where is Space Balls in all of this?

Not a franchise.

However, if we put ALL Mel Brooks films together as a franchise, he easily wins this contest hands-down.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Toy Story ROFL

Right????

Are these people fucking 12?

ptlyon
04-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Not a franchise.

However, if we put ALL Mel Brooks films together as a franchise, he easily wins this contest hands-down.

Oh fuck yes

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Oh fuck yes

How can you even compare?

DaFace
04-10-2019, 01:59 PM
Not a franchise.

Yeah, that would have been a nice addition.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Yeah, that would have been a nice addition.

Mel Brooks vs Star Wars. That's an epic battle.

KC_Lee
04-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Mel Brooks vs Star Wars. That's an epic battle.

The Schwartz vs. the Force.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 02:07 PM
The Schwartz vs. the Force.

Who's Schwartz is bigger? Let's find out!

vailpass
04-10-2019, 02:08 PM

Yep.
Ghost Busters is same.

Red Dawg
04-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Harry Potter in my book. All of them were damn good.

ptlyon
04-10-2019, 02:13 PM
How can you even compare?

How about Monty Python?

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Right????v

Are these people fucking 12?

:clap:

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 02:25 PM
---Matchup 1---
Marvel Cinematic Universe * The X Men movies alone win this, while Dracula suffers as many poor interpretations as it does good.
Dracula
---Matchup 2---
Hammer Horror * Legendary horror studio overcomes two out of three completely forgettable "Ghostbusters" movies. The latest GB movie should be reason enough to vote for Hammer.
Ghostbusters
---Matchup 3---
Jaws
Halloween * All interpretations of Michael Myers are worthy and make for excellent horror.
---Matchup 4---
Pirates of the Caribbean
Smokey and the Bandit * This was really tough as I love what Johnny Depp has done in the POTC movies. But ultimately, I have to give the nod to the legendary Burt Reynolds.
---Matchup 5---
Toy Story
Dirty Harry * There's a limit to my "kid movie" interest and watching. Toy story never intrigued me, and Clint Eastwood is a true acting enigma.
---Matchup 6---
Indiana Jones * Are you kidding me? The Rambo movies are okay( to a point ), but Indiana Jones the character is immortal.
Rambo
---Matchup 7---
Hope and Crosby
The Matrix * No disrespect to the elders of Hollywood, but the Matrix redefined the franchise genre for the new millennium.
---Matchup 8---
Harry Potter
Predator * Potter is good but at the end of the day, I love my extra-terrestrial hunter/killers. Easily the most intriguing ET species of the last 50 years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 02:28 PM
How about Monty Python?

That would be tough, but the volume and quality of Brook's collection should surpass it.

hometeam
04-10-2019, 02:44 PM
every single movie i voted for is winning

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

TwistedChief
04-10-2019, 03:11 PM
I think I need to work on my cultural touchstones.

Marvel Cinematic Universe vs. Dracula – Haven't seen any of them.

Hammer Horror vs. Ghostbusters – Haven't seen any of them.

Jaws vs Halloween – I saw Jaws.

Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Smokey and the Bandit – I saw Smokey and the Bandit, and I didn't know there was more than one.

Toy Story vs. Dirty Harry – Finally. I saw the first Toy Story and all the Dirty Harry films.

Hope and Crosby "Road to..." vs. The Matrix – Haven't seen any of them.

Harry Potter vs. Predator – I saw maybe one, maybe two Potters. No Predators.

Congrats. You are the chick who fills out her NCAA bracket based on which logo is cutest. Haven’t seen Ghostbusters, Jaws, Indiana Jones, and Rambo? What did you think of Beaches though?

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Congrats. You are the chick who fills out her NCAA bracket based on which logo is cutest. Haven’t seen Ghostbusters, Jaws, Indiana Jones, and Rambo? What did you think of Beaches though?

ROFL

Or as I call it, "Bitches".

DJJasonp
04-10-2019, 03:24 PM
I've never seen Jaws, and a few months ago I flipped through the channels and saw a shark killing someone and thought, "Maybe I should check this out." I watched a bit of it and was thinking, "This is horrible. What is that cinematic feces? Why was this so highly regarded?" Eventually something happened that I didn't think happened in Jaws, and so I looked at the title. It was Jaw III.

What many dont know about Jaws is: The "brilliance" of Spielberg and jaws, according to many critics, etc.....was that the shark was not shown until the very end of the movie.

But that was not planned, as the props/effects team could never get the mechanical shark to work at a level of quality that Spielberg was satisfied with.

So many of the scenes where originally it would have been showed - never made it into the film.

After the film was shown to audiences, it quickly became apparent that "not knowing/not seeing" what's out there that wants to kill you.......became a cultural phenomenon (and kept people from ever wanting to swim in the ocean).

Jerm
04-10-2019, 03:28 PM
What many dont know about Jaws is: The "brilliance" of Spielberg and jaws, according to many critics, etc.....was that the shark was not shown until the very end of the movie.

But that was not planned, as the props/effects team could never get the mechanical shark to work at a level of quality that Spielberg was satisfied with.

So many of the scenes where originally it would have been showed - never made it into the film.

After the film was shown to audiences, it quickly became apparent that "not knowing/not seeing" what's out there that wants to kill you.......became a cultural phenomenon (and kept people from ever wanting to swim in the ocean).

The POV shots in Jaws are so effective as well...did wish we got the original Alex Kintner scene however.

BleedingRed
04-10-2019, 03:29 PM
Is Lord of the Rings NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE POST SEASON!?!?!

DaFace
04-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Is Lord of the Rings NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE POST SEASON!?!?!

It's a 4 seed in the midwest division.

MTG#10
04-10-2019, 03:36 PM
Toy Story ROFL

Right????

Are these people ****ing 12?

If you have never watched any of them you dont know what you're missing, just because they are kids movies doesn't mean they suck.

If you have watched them and didnt like them there is something wrong with you.

ptlyon
04-10-2019, 03:36 PM

The brilliance of Jaws was the movie poster. Rowr.

vailpass
04-10-2019, 03:37 PM
It's a 4 seed in the midwest division.

Does Rain Man know you're playing with his tools?

suzzer99
04-10-2019, 03:42 PM
My top 2 on the list - Rambo and Indiana Jones - are fighting each other. BOOO!

DaFace
04-10-2019, 03:44 PM
I'm gonna feel that way in the West division. In Round 1 we have Bourne vs. Back to the Future. And then one of those gets to go up against Bond.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-10-2019, 03:51 PM
If you have never watched any of them you dont know what you're missing, just because they are kids movies doesn't mean they suck.

If you have watched them and didnt like them there is something wrong with you.

No, they are pure dogshit. Sorry...

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 03:52 PM
No, they are pure dogshit. Sorry...

Probably right up there with Larry the Cable Guy and "Cars".

threebag
04-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Same with Ghostbusters

ThaVirus
04-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Fun fact: I've seen exactly one Ghostbusters movie.

The shitty remake they made a few years ago.

Jerm
04-10-2019, 04:23 PM

You poor, poor soul lol.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 04:44 PM

AIDS tree, anti-freeze, kill yourself etc.

ptlyon
04-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Probably right up there with Larry the Cable Guy and "Cars".

Larry the cable guy was here a few weeks ago opening for Styx. No lie.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Larry the cable guy was here a few weeks ago opening for Styx. No lie.

Kill me, please:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o6ozjiS0AR7sboa8U/giphy.gif

Chief Roundup
04-10-2019, 05:23 PM
The MCU is all of the Avengers movies (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc.). Hammer Horror I don't know much about, but I think this article outlines the key films included:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammer_Film_Productions#Key_horror_films

Seriously. That is not right. Each one has had several movies. They should be listed and judged individually not as a whole.

ThaVirus
04-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Seriously. That is not right. Each one has had several movies. They should be listed and judged individually not as a whole.

Seriously.......... it's not that serious.

ClevelandBronco
04-10-2019, 06:08 PM
You never saw Raiders of the Lost Ark? That's like never having a piece of pizza, or never seeing a Patrick Mahomes deep ball.

I know. I heard good things about it, but I was kind of busy in the 80s.

ClevelandBronco
04-10-2019, 06:18 PM

Don’t know Beaches. Is it about surfing?

Only voted for Dirty Harry, who I see is getting his ass handed to him by digital puppets.

mr. tegu
04-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Am I correct that you can’t vote on Tapatalk?

DaFace
04-10-2019, 10:20 PM
Am I correct that you can’t vote on Tapatalk?

Yeah, they've never built the functionality in for some reason. You'll have to do the web version if you need to use your phone.

jonzie04
04-10-2019, 10:40 PM
Im disappointed that the Rocky movies aren't on here. Also, Starwars, and Bourne movies. And Lord of the Rings.

kysirsoze
04-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Jaws changed the way I peed in a toilet when I was 5

LMAO Best post I've seen in weeks.

DaFace
04-10-2019, 10:48 PM
Im disappointed that the Rocky movies aren't on here. Also, Starwars, and Bourne movies. And Lord of the Rings.

It's almost like this isn't the entire tournament.

kysirsoze
04-10-2019, 10:49 PM
I get why Hammer Horror movies is losing badly but it really shouldn't be. Ghostbusters is one incredibly great film and that's about it. Peter MacNicol is the only thing to like about 2.

The Matrix should be losing for a similar reason. I guess everyone can vote with their own criteria, but I think people are letting one good movie carry the franchise which seems to miss the point.

kysirsoze
04-10-2019, 10:58 PM
I'm gonna feel that way in the West division. In Round 1 we have Bourne vs. Back to the Future. And then one of those gets to go up against Bond.

If I had my way Bond would win the whole thing. It's a no brainer. Sure there are some stinkers but usually even the bad ones are fun in the context on when they were made. The Bond franchise essentially forged the modern action movie. Dr. No was the first movie to have a two punch combination in one shot for crying out loud. It's been going for decades and has reinvented itself multiple times. How many quotes, characters, and sequences were stolen, parodied, and re-purposed in other franchises? Without Bond we don't have Indiana Jones or Jason Bourne. Bond movies might not be everybody's cup of tea, but that franchise laps the field here.

Sorry, to go off topic, but I figured most people vote before reading the thread so if I didn't make my case here it wouldn't be seen. (and ignored) :)

04-11-2019, 12:44 AM

Eh, I'd say the first half of Reloaded was good. Then it all went to shit.

Dartgod
04-11-2019, 06:11 AM
I get why Hammer Horror movies is losing badly but it really shouldn't be. Ghostbusters is one incredibly great film and that's about it. Peter MacNicol is the only thing to like about 2.

The Matrix should be losing for a similar reason. I guess everyone can vote with their own criteria, but I think people are letting one good movie carry the franchise which seems to miss the point.

I had no idea what the Hammer Horror movies were and would have voted for them if I had taken time to research.

But, ain't nobody got time for that...

Why Not?
04-11-2019, 06:56 AM

I’m disappointed in your reading comprehension skills.

DaFace
04-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Our first round of divisional matchups has come to an end. The MCU, Ghostbusters, Jaws, Toy Story, Indiana Jones, The Matrix, and Harry Potter move on!