PDA

View Full Version : Life Buying a house fucking sucks.

bdj23
04-13-2019, 05:50 PM
My wife and I are trying to buy a house. We've looked at several. Seven so far to be exact. We have put in offers on five. The last one we offered 5,000 dollars over their asking price. We still don't have a house.

What. The. ****?

This is truly an awful experience. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this kind of nightmare?

Jewish Rabbi
04-13-2019, 05:51 PM
Waiting for Bugeater’s expletive filled rant.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-13-2019, 05:53 PM
Heh, I've always bought houses for 5%-10% less than asking price.

TambaBerry
04-13-2019, 05:56 PM
you need to make the other items more attractive, let them pick closing date, etc

The Franchise
04-13-2019, 05:59 PM
We just put our house on the market. Stressful as fuck.

Plus trying to buy one at the same fucking time.

TribalElder
04-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Sellers market regardless of what people say

bdj23
04-13-2019, 06:12 PM
you need to make the other items more attractive, let them pick closing date, etc

Tried it. Currently on a lease that ends July 1st. Last house wanted to close June 28th (perfect for us). And no avail. Family selling it was even friends with my wife in high school.

bdj23
04-13-2019, 06:13 PM

These God damn things sell within 24 hours most of the time.

LiveSteam
04-13-2019, 06:13 PM
Ya.. Well tell Bugs about it..

BryanBusby
04-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Who says otherwise?

bdj23
04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Ya.. Well tell Bugs about it..

I'm intrigued :hmmm:

I could use a laugh or two right now.

Third Eye
04-13-2019, 06:17 PM
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you located? We moved to KC last year with the intent of renting for two years before buying so we could research school districts and such. I had heard the market had cooled and there was actually surplus locally.

Chief Roundup
04-13-2019, 06:19 PM
When I bought this house I already had an approval letter for up to X amount from my mortgage lender. I was told that was more appealing to a seller. It makes sense, that way the seller knows for sure that after terms have been agreed upon the house is basically sold.

bdj23
04-13-2019, 06:24 PM
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you located? We moved to KC last year with the intent of renting for two years before buying so we could research school districts and such. I had heard the market had cooled and there was actually surplus locally.

Lawrence Ks Area

I've also tried the surrounding area small towns like Perry, Eudora, McClouth ect ect.

Every house we offer on has 4-8 other offers coming in as well. Seems like we have to wait in a line just to view one. Several occasions there has been someone looking at a house right before or after we look at it. It's insane.

My realtor said that she has been doing this for 20 years, the worst luck she has had was 0/2 and her client got a house on the 3rd try. We are now 0/5. Probably just going to give up and rent again :(

bdj23
04-13-2019, 06:25 PM
When I bought this house I already had an approval letter for up to X amount from my mortgage lender. I was told that was more appealing to a seller. It makes sense, that way the seller knows for sure that after terms have been agreed upon the house is basically sold.

We have that as well, we are approved up to a certain amount, but we have been trying to keep it under 200k.

BryanBusby
04-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Lawrence Ks Area

I've also tried the surrounding area small towns like Perry, Eudora, McClouth ect ect.

Every house we offer on has 4-8 other offers coming in as well. Seems like we have to wait in a line just to view one. Several occasions there has been someone looking at a house right before or after we look at it. It's insane.

My realtor said that she has been doing this for 20 years, the worst luck she had had was 0/2 and her client got a house on the 3rd try. We are now 0/5. Probably just going to give up and rent
Find a better realtor

Chief Roundup
04-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Lawrence Ks Area

My realtor said that she has been doing this for 20 years, the worst luck she has had was 0/2 and her client got a house on the 3rd try. We are now 0/5. Probably just going to give up and rent again :(

Don't do it man. Be patient it will happen for you.

Third Eye
04-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Lawrence Ks Area

Can you go month to month or your lease? I’m sure you’ll pay a premium, but it’s better than locking in for a year when you’re ready to buy now.

58-4ever
04-13-2019, 06:51 PM
We just put our house on the market. Stressful as ****.

Plus trying to buy one at the same ****ing time.

this might be the worst situation of them all if you can't afford two houses at once...

bdj23
04-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Can you go month to month or your lease? I’m sure you’ll pay a premium, but it’s better than locking in for a year when you’re ready to buy now.

Ya, I can. It ups my rent about 100 bux a month. But there is a caveat to that and I've posted about it before.

I absolutely despise my apartment complex. The managment is basically letting it fall apart. The people above us are the most annoying people I've ever had the misfortune to share a wall with. Plus they are unemployed (I believe) and sit around smoking weed and cigarettes all day long making my home smell like shit.

The lady in the office is friends with them too and won't do anything about it. Every time I cut that place a check it takes a few weeks off my life.

TinyEvel
04-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Keep looking and keep offering. Never offer more than you will be able to peacefully live with (financially and emotionally) in the long run. Right now, because the stock market is near an all-time high and the economy is doing well, and interest rates are down, it is a seller's market -- at least in areas people are moving to. Be happy you're not looking in Northern California. Up here the house next-door sold for $200K over asking price in CASH bought by some parents for their daughter who was about to be married. Happy Wedding, dear. Yeah, must be nice.
Just be patient and something will stick. Things happen for a reason. I wouldn't buy something that's not perfect because you are afraid of getting boxed out of the frenzy. Work with your agent to develop a strategy to get your offer accepted. Sometimes that can be things other than offering more than asking price. It can include shorter escrow, putting a cap on what contingencies you'll want (like taking some things as-is and needing repair), writing a personal letter to the sellers, putting more money down, etc. What the buyer wants is to get the most money with the least amount of work or trouble, the quickest. Keep that in mind and work with them but don't do anything you won't be happy with in the end.

Dunit35
04-13-2019, 06:57 PM
We just put our house on the market. Stressful as ****.

Plus trying to buy one at the same ****ing time.

We did the same last year. It was stressful as hell. We would find a house but wouldn’t make an offer because we didn’t have an offer on ours yet.

We got lucky though. The buyer of our house looked at our house after a month on the market and loved it. It helped that her parents lived two houses away.

We then made an offer on our current house same day. Closed on our old house, walked across the street and closed on our current home. We loaded everything into a Uhaul and several truck beds in one day. Unloaded the next. I don’t want anything to do with doing that again.

ChiefsCountry
04-13-2019, 06:59 PM
I wish the Lake housing market was like the city. No such thing as bidding wars down here. Instead its a multiple headaches to get a deal done like septic tanks, dock electric, water tests, and other bullshit.

04-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Let me ask Bugeater.

Hey bug, what's it like buying a house right now?

JFC god damn mother fucking bitch ass Realtor with an MBA can go die in a fire.

Oooooookàaaaaaaaay

Rain Man
04-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Let me ask Bugeater.

Hey bug, what's it like buying a house right now?

JFC god damn mother fucking bitch ass Realtor with an MBA can go die in a fire.

Oooooookàaaaaaaaay

Well, at least he'll live out his dream of living in Cheyenne.

cooper barrett
04-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Heh, I've always bought houses for 5%-10% less than asking price.

Look at where you lived....

cooper barrett
04-13-2019, 07:32 PM
We have that as well, we are approved up to a certain amount, but we have been trying to keep it under 200k.

I offer cash, hard cash and a letter from bank. Able to close as soon as they give me title insurance... I used to buy and rent back while they shopped.

I have never bought a house with a buyers agent or where the ****ing Realtor was telling me to bid above to be considered...Just tells me the listing agent was a dumb ****.

I lived through 2 downturns and somehow survived the 2008 "bubble"

I buy estate houses in great areas with no Realtor whatsoever, just a title company and an atty to review my contract, not the "Realtor's" contract.

TribalElder
04-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Lawrence Ks Area

Must be the queer eye effect

Who says otherwise?
I heard some local talk/news say it’s a great time for buyers lol

doomy3
04-13-2019, 08:13 PM
I offer cash, hard cash and a letter from bank. Able to close as soon as they give me title insurance... I used to buy and rent back while they shopped.

I have never bought a house with a buyers agent or where the ****ing Realtor was telling me to bid above to be considered...Just tells me the listing agent was a dumb ****.

I lived through 2 downturns and somehow survived the 2008 "bubble"

I buy estate houses in great areas with no Realtor whatsoever, just a title company and an atty to review my contract, not the "Realtor's" contract.

Are you capable of making a post that doesn’t reek of douche?

doomy3
04-13-2019, 08:16 PM
It’s still a really challenging markers for buyers, especially below $300,000 in most markets around here. Good time to be a move up buyer though. Market softens above $300k in the metro and surrounding areas.

BryanBusby
04-13-2019, 08:16 PM
Must be the queer eye effect

I heard some local talk/news say it’s a great time for buyers lol
lol

I do think it'll eventually be a better time for buyers, but I don't think building is quite crazy like the levels right before the last market crash.

ChiefsCountry
04-13-2019, 08:20 PM
It’s still a really challenging markers for buyers, especially below $300,000 in most markets around here. Good time to be a move up buyer though. Market softens above $300k in the metro and surrounding areas.

We have buyers like crazy in 300k to 500k range at the Lake but no inventory.

doomy3
04-13-2019, 08:23 PM
We have buyers like crazy in 300k to 500k range at the Lake but no inventory.

Yep, I’m one of those buyers. Nothing that I’ve seen that I’m interested at all in right now. That’s a different animal than most places around here though.

ChiefsCountry
04-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Yep, I’m one of those buyers. Nothing that I’ve seen that I’m interested at all in right now. That’s a different animal than most places around here though.

That's true. We need new construction bad. "New" homes are 10 years old.

Actually need new lake homes, new condos and off water affordable housing. If you got any of your developers or money guys in Kansas City send them down. Potential is there for a nice pay day if a risk is taken.

BryanBusby
04-13-2019, 08:33 PM
That's true. We need new construction bad. "New" homes are 10 years old.

Actually need new lake homes, new condos and off water affordable housing. If you got any of your developers or money guys in Kansas City send them down. Potential is there for a nice pay day if a risk is taken.
Sounds like it's time to watch some YouTube videos on how to build a house

Dayze
04-13-2019, 08:33 PM
We looked at 90 houses between April and October of last year. Offered on nine of them. All over asking price. Only had two successful ones, one fell through du to inspection. we would catch the day they come on the market and by the time we’d look at them and submit an offer, there were already five to nine offers in the table.

Found our current one the day it came on, and offered about 7k over asking price.

Absolutely horrible experience. I’d literally rather just burn the house down when it comes time to move lol.

dj562006
04-13-2019, 08:36 PM
Any interest in the Gardner, KS area?

Indian Chief
04-13-2019, 08:36 PM
We looked at 90 houses between April and October of last year. Offered on nine of them. All over asking price. Only had two successful ones, one fell through du to inspection. we would catch the day they come on the market and by the time we’d look at them and submit an offer, there were already five to nine offers in the table.

Found our current one the day it came on, and offered about 7k over asking price.

Absolutely horrible experience. I’d literally rather just burn the house down when it comes time to move lol.

Wife and I wanted to move to Pennsylvania about 10 years ago. We spent an entire 12 months looking at houses. Probably close to the 90 houses you looked at. It was an absolutely miserable time. I did get good at weeding out the bad ones from the listings after a while. Saved us many a trip to a shitty property.

ChiefsCountry
04-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Sounds like it's time to watch some YouTube videos on how to build a house

I have no carpenter skills what so ever unfortunately. And I'm a scared pussy when it comes to my money on investments. I always seem go the safe route with CDs and Bonds.

BryanBusby
04-13-2019, 08:43 PM
I have no carpenter skills what so ever unfortunately. And I'm a scared pussy when it comes to my money on investments. I always seem go the safe route with CDs and Bonds.
Hell I have none either, but can't say it's not tempting. I'd get into the home reno business if my back wasn't already f'n shot.

Bugeater
04-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Waiting for Bugeater’s expletive filled rant.

Actually the buying process went exponentially better for us than the selling process did. 007 and I are hanging out in the awesome sun room on the deck of our new place as i type this.

https://ap.rdcpix.com/2144012172/13ab7238a49c38fb9a54355646e33f36l-m28xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

bdj23
04-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Any interest in the Gardner, KS area?

We haven't looked in Gardner yet. Gonna try Baldwin next I believe

TribalElder
04-13-2019, 09:05 PM

Ozark season 3

threebag
04-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Buy an old missle silo

bdj23
04-13-2019, 09:20 PM
Buy an old missle silo

Now we're on to something!

cooper barrett
04-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Actually the buying process went exponentially better for us than the selling process did. 007 and I are hanging out in the awesome sun room on the deck of our new place as i type this.

https://ap.rdcpix.com/2144012172/13ab7238a49c38fb9a54355646e33f36l-m28xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Lots of space. 2000sf + sf/$ works!!! About $80sf? Is sunroom in 2000sf?

Fugly street view. Does everything look like that? The one across the street looks like my starter, (what others were calling a dump last week.) Anderson real wood windows? Nice. I upgraded the glass packages on the side that the sun bore down on. Great windows!

Kitchen only a mother could love. Big yes! Island? Formica? T+G doors?

Is that a school next door? Me like. Sitting room off Master. Please tell me that's NOT where the kids hang..:hmmm: You're ****ed. Mine was a floor down and the other side of the house. Where you're fireplace is.

I like it for less than/= $200K even if it's Omaha. Lived there in late 70's college... Lot's of room, Kitchen redo cheap (Doors) with island?? Island w/plumbing/ electricity???? Countertops are easy. I like high $$$ Formica vs granite or quartz but that's me. Formica shows sings of wear/ I'm ready for new ones
If SO's a baker an island with stone is a plus, refrigd stone = bonus

Explain the bottom of the door? Is that a step down from the entry into a family room?

https://ap.rdcpix.com/314138684/13ab7238a49c38fb9a54355646e33f36l-m21xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Bugeater
04-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Yes, the peak on the front of the house is weird but it was built in the 60s. Kitchen is already under renovation, it was not the selling point of the house by any means. We're empty nesters, no kids here. Step down into family room is from the first step of the stairs.

Fat Elvis
04-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Its a sellers market, at least here in my area (Topeka). Going through a divorce so we've been selling some properties; had a rental posted for 10 minutes before the first showing. Had a contract within two hours. Actually had to counter lower than the offer as there was zero chance that the house would appraise for offer, otherwise, really, really solid offer. Realtor said it was the first time that she's ever seen a counter that was lower than the offer. (House was built in the 80s; final sales price rivals a new build on a price/sq ft basis.)

Neighbor listed yesterday; I noticed that her house is under contract today.

suzzer99
04-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Damn KS sounds like CA. Crazy.

I get letters every month or so from a prospective buyer (pretty sure it's just the agent) spamming everyone in our complex - 380 units.

Valiant
04-14-2019, 12:25 AM

Depends on area. Coworker was 0 for 8 on their house offers, then gave 5k over on one Friday that went on the market that day. Had 3 offers, one unseen.

I also think it depends on price point.

BryanBusby
04-14-2019, 12:28 AM
Here in the south of KC area, it's not too terrible to buy a house but you need to be pretty flexible on your wishlist and location.

Especially if you're trying to stay under 200k like the OP.

iSavedLatin
04-14-2019, 01:19 AM
We sold our Brookside home a few years ago with multiple offers coming in. We accepted an offer lower than the highest bidder. We were good friends with our neighbors and felt that one of the buyers would be a really good fit for the neighborhood, so that's the offer we accepted.

We moved back to the west coast and into one of the hottest housing markets in the country in Seattle. We offered on several homes with escalator clauses up to $70k over ask and kept losing out on houses. We eventually found our current home and got a screaming deal on it because the seller and agent were complete idiots. The point being, you will get your brains beat in finding a house, but you will eventually find a place that is home to you. Take your lumps, but know it'll pay off when you find YOUR home. It'll happen for you. Best of luck.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 01:20 AM
English,

i have set the standards for comps in many neighborhoods. Told you will never get financed.... You had to counter lower within hours WTF??? I say BS

New house per SF is a house without garage door openers, poor landscaping if any, sometimes no grass, and in many cases >50 a sf carpet....

I am saying something stinks here

Its a sellers market, at least here in my area (Topeka). Going through a divorce so we've been selling some properties; had a rental posted for 10 minutes before the first showing. Had a contract within two hours. Actually had to counter lower than the offer as there was zero chance that the house would appraise for offer, otherwise, really, really solid offer. Realtor said it was the first time that she's ever seen a counter that was lower than the offer. (House was built in the 80s; final sales price rivals a new build on a price/sq ft basis.)

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 01:31 AM
Depends on area. Coworker was 0 for 8 on their house offers, then gave 5k over on one Friday that went on the market that day. Had 3 offers, one unseen. WTF is an "unseen" offer? a Nonoffer?

I also think it depends on price point.

Remember that after underwriting, contracts change, Realtors are whores who don't do anything that's not in their interest.

One of my buyers had 3 days to come up w/ $8K or their deposit, the carpet was lost.. They closed.

Deposits/earnest payments with Realtors are returned.....In my contracts, they choose the carpet and paint, they own it even if they fail to close.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 01:42 AM
We sold our Brookside home a few years ago with multiple offers coming in. We accepted an offer lower than the highest bidder. We were good friends with our neighbors and felt that one of the buyers would be a really good fit for the neighborhood, so that's the offer we accepted. Really what was the difference, really?

We moved back to the west coast and into one of the hottest housing markets in the country in Seattle. We offered on several homes with escalator clauses up to $70k over ask and kept losing out on houses. We eventually found our current home and got a screaming deal on it because the seller and agent were complete idiots. The point being, you will get your brains beat in finding a house, but you will eventually find a place that is home to you. Take your lumps, but know it'll pay off when you find YOUR home. It'll happen for you. Best of luck.

There's the key to success in buying real estate. look for stupid sellers and stupid agents... Or tell yourself they were...

arrowheadnation
04-14-2019, 02:43 AM
I got shit on by the county appraiser after I bought my house. I bought my house two years ago in June as a 3 bedroom home with a finished basement. Got the payment to a level I wanted. All was right with the world. A year later, I get my assessment from the county appriaser. My property value was going up by $42,000. I'm immediately like WTF?!?!? Turns out my home was appraised in January of the year I bought it as a 2 bedroom home with an unfinished basement. Between that time and the time I purchased it, the seller finished the basement. This was not divulged to me at the time of purchase. Being a first time home owner, I didn't understand what this meant. Then a couple months later, boy did I ever find out. Pennymac basically let me know that my mortgage was going up like $250/month. I was allowed to pay some up front to lower the payment throughout the year, but with a single income, things were pretty tight this year. I contacted my loan lady to plead my case and she basically said, "yeah, that happens." So fuck her, she's never getting my business again. I've been trying to look into ways to get it lowered back to where it was, but I'm not having any luck. Mainly because I don't know where to begin. If anybody has any tips or pointers, I'd be very appreciative. (I contacted the appraiser and they told me that my value was raised to match others in the area with finished basements)

Third Eye
04-14-2019, 02:45 AM
Here in the south of KC area, it's not too terrible to buy a house but you need to be pretty flexible on your wishlist and location.

Especially if you're trying to stay under 200k like the OP.

Yeah, we’ve been tracking Zillow pretty regularly just to keep an eye on the market. We’ve already given up on our preferred location, which was up by Fairway. Unfortunately, it looks we’d need $600+ minimum to get what we want/need. I mean, we don’t need a big house, but with 2 kids I need more than 1900 sq ft at that price.

Based on our wants/needs/budget, we’ll probably be looking at southern Prairie Village/northern Leawood. I’d prefer to be on the MO side, but fuck the KCMO school district and fuck the price of private school.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 04:10 AM
Where are you? Was there a permit pulled? read it

And who did your home inspection? read it again

Pull the disclosure statement and read the fuck out of it.

I got shit on by the county appraiser after I bought my house. I bought my house two years ago in June as a 3 bedroom home with a finished basement. Got the payment to a level I wanted. All was right with the world. A year later, I get my assessment from the county appriaser. My property value was going up by $42,000. I'm immediately like WTF?!?!? Turns out my home was appraised in January of the year I bought it as a 2 bedroom home with an unfinished basement. Between that time and the time I purchased it, the seller finished the basement. This was not divulged to me at the time of purchase. Being a first time home owner, I didn't understand what this meant. Then a couple months later, boy did I ever find out. Pennymac basically let me know that my mortgage was going up like $250/month. I was allowed to pay some up front to lower the payment throughout the year, but with a single income, things were pretty tight this year. I contacted my loan lady to plead my case and she basically said, "yeah, that happens." So **** her, she's never getting my business again. I've been trying to look into ways to get it lowered back to where it was, but I'm not having any luck. Mainly because I don't know where to begin. If anybody has any tips or pointers, I'd be very appreciative. (I contacted the appraiser and they told me that my value was raised to match others in the area with finished basements)

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 05:02 AM
Yeah, we’ve been tracking Zillow pretty regularly just to keep an eye on the market. We’ve already given up on our preferred location, which was up by Fairway. Unfortunately, it looks we’d need $600+ minimum to get what we want/need. I mean, we don’t need a big house, but with 2 kids I need more than 1900 sq ft at that price.

Based on our wants/needs/budget, we’ll probably be looking at southern Prairie Village/northern Leawood. I’d prefer to be on the MO side, but **** the KCMO school district and **** the price of private school.

I am guessing you are looking at Reinhardt Estates, Bryantwood, in Fairway Northern PV is nice too sat 65th and Mission to Roe the edge of mission hills to the south has a few outstanding homes but the 79 th south to 87th area between in PV is all good same on the other side of Nall in OP.)

Corinth, Calvin Crest, West Riding and Somerset are nice areas but in the $$$ areas. (my neighbors house was well over $1M a few blocks off Nall) but hidden treasures are to be found in the area just south of Mission Hills near State Line.

87th-95 and Lowell and 87th-95 and Lamar are great areas of OP but 91st- 95 and Roe is nicer for some.

lawrenceRaider
04-14-2019, 05:39 AM
There's the key to success in buying real estate. look for stupid sellers and stupid agents... Or tell yourself they were...

We got our house in Wichita at a great deal on a short sale. We were moving back up from Texas, and the Market here was stupid hot at the time and nearly every house we liked was gone before I could even look at it.

I didn't even want to look at our house because the pictures were terrible online. Wife insisted based on the pictures of the great room, which they had basically used book shelves to break up into a few different spaces, office area, TV area, etc.

Went in the house and once I looked past their clutter, it had a nearly perfect layout for us. Because we had flexibility in when we moved in, we got it. An older couple were living there and he had lost his job. They couldn't really keep up with the house, and it needed a couple small things that I did myself once we moved in.

scho63
04-14-2019, 05:47 AM
Ever considering Living in a Van Down by the River?

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 05:52 AM
I have polished a lot of turds, the ones you think are the worst end up being the nicest.

How did you find the short sale?

FlaChief58
04-14-2019, 06:10 AM
If you think looking at houses sucks, just wait till you get to the application / finance part.

BryanBusby
04-14-2019, 06:18 AM
I got shit on by the county appraiser after I bought my house. I bought my house two years ago in June as a 3 bedroom home with a finished basement. Got the payment to a level I wanted. All was right with the world. A year later, I get my assessment from the county appriaser. My property value was going up by $42,000. I'm immediately like WTF?!?!? Turns out my home was appraised in January of the year I bought it as a 2 bedroom home with an unfinished basement. Between that time and the time I purchased it, the seller finished the basement. This was not divulged to me at the time of purchase. Being a first time home owner, I didn't understand what this meant. Then a couple months later, boy did I ever find out. Pennymac basically let me know that my mortgage was going up like $250/month. I was allowed to pay some up front to lower the payment throughout the year, but with a single income, things were pretty tight this year. I contacted my loan lady to plead my case and she basically said, "yeah, that happens." So fuck her, she's never getting my business again. I've been trying to look into ways to get it lowered back to where it was, but I'm not having any luck. Mainly because I don't know where to begin. If anybody has any tips or pointers, I'd be very appreciative. (I contacted the appraiser and they told me that my value was raised to match others in the area with finished basements)
My initial impression is the only way you're going to fix that is to put up a For Sale sign. I'm an armchair expert at a lot of things, but that's not one of them! Maybe talk with a real estate attorney.

Based on our wants/needs/budget, we’ll probably be looking at southern Prairie Village/northern Leawood. I’d prefer to be on the MO side, but fuck the KCMO school district and fuck the price of private school.
Have you considered Raymore if you want to stay on the Missouri side? A bit out of the way, but would get more bang for the buck vs Leawood and Cass County taxes are a little more lax.

Fat Elvis
04-14-2019, 06:53 AM

English,

i have set the standards for comps in many neighborhoods. Told you will never get financed.... You had to counter lower within hours WTF??? I say BS

New house per SF is a house without garage door openers, poor landscaping if any, sometimes no grass, and in many cases >50 a sf carpet....

I am saying something stinks here

I had the property for less than two years. It sold for more than 30% above purchase price.

Edit:. I should clarify that our counter was to remove the flooring allowance built into the offer that they wanted wrapped into their financing. It resulted in the same amount of money in my pocket.

Demonpenz
04-14-2019, 07:05 AM
you must be looking at nice houses. My sister owns a couple that would be your regular goatee rush busch lite drinking chiefsplanet folk on Ohsdaul

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 07:22 AM
Sellers market everywhere. Homes here are selling minutes after listing. Some for above asking price. Especially in MPLS. Who the F knows why in MPLS??

In the burbs-same thing. Homes move fast. A neighbor whose house is 2.5 years old sold it in a few days. Thinking it went for 30k more than what it was built for. Picked the move out date.

Money is cheap. 3.8% is basically free.

Good luck.

bdj23
04-14-2019, 07:24 AM
you must be looking at nice houses. My sister owns a couple that would be your regular goatee rush busch lite drinking chiefsplanet folk on Ohsdaul

Nothing too fancy, but yeah, I don't wanna live on Ousdahl St.

Chief Roundup
04-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Buyers market everywhere. Homes here are selling minutes after listing. Some for above asking price. Especially in MPLS. Who the F knows why in MPLS??

In the burbs-same thing. Homes move fast. A neighbor whose house is 2.5 years old sold it in a few days. Thinking it went for 30k more than what it was built for. Picked the move out date.

Money is cheap. 3.8% is basically free.

Good luck.

Those things make it a sellers market, not a buyers market.

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 07:34 AM
Those things make it a sellers market, not a buyers market.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JFvujknrBuE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its early. Have not had my Dew yet. I will change it......

Molitoth
04-14-2019, 07:50 AM
My wife and I were trying to get into a neighborhood and were never successful due to having contingency.
We said eff it and built a house in the neighborhood... one of the best decisions we've ever made.

Absolutely love my house.

oldman
04-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Have you tried houses around Tonganoxie or Bonner Springs? Some of those Bonner Springs addresses are in Leavenworth County and the school district is Basehor-Linwood.

Shaid
04-14-2019, 08:12 AM
When we bought we looked at tons of houses over a couple of years. We weren't in a rush, wanted to find a good price and something that had what we wanted. Eventually we built. We went to a good mid-range builder with plans from a lower priced builder and said that they had that house available for 145k. The mid-range builder matched the price and had a lot of things included in their price that the low-end guy didn't, like Oak doors, molding, etc. standard. We'd have paid over 180k with the low end guy but got our house for 145k with all those upgrades, better quality framing, etc. and a half acre lot in town 5 minutes from my work. We finished the basement ourselves with me doing all the framing and sheetrock and hiring side guys to do the plumbing, electrical, etc. Only cost about 10k to finish the basement out. It could sell for 300k today, less than 10 years later. We had 6 months to sell our existing place after that because building obviously takes time. That allowed us the time to get our asking price.
My advise is simple. Don't be in a hurry. Shop like you are just looking for things you like. Don't overpay but if you put in an offer, make sure you lock that seller in. Don't be afraid to build. In my experience it can be cheaper. It absolutely was with us.

Shaid
04-14-2019, 08:19 AM

This is really common honestly at least around here. Shit, even happened to my dad back in the 80s. He did get them to reduce it by calling them up and saying that if they thought it was worth that much he'd sell it to them right now. Didn't reduce it by much, I think they just wanted to shut him up. He's a guy that was on a first name basis with the Senators, etc. in the state.

bdj23
04-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Have you tried houses around Tonganoxie or Bonner Springs? Some of those Bonner Springs addresses are in Leavenworth County and the school district is Basehor-Linwood.

Tongie was all either methlab tier houses or 300k+. We haven't really looked in Bonner either.

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 08:41 AM
This is really common honestly at least around here. Shit, even happened to my dad back in the 80s. He did get them to reduce it by calling them up and saying that if they thought it was worth that much he'd sell it to them right now. Didn't reduce it by much, I think they just wanted to shut him up. He's a guy that was on a first name basis with the Senators, etc. in the state.

I complained about mine too. Have a meeting sometime in the next few weeks.

oldman
04-14-2019, 08:58 AM
Tongie was all either methlab tier houses or 300k+. We haven't really looked in Bonner either.

I meant to say with Tongie addresses. It's been several years since we bought, but we are thinking of downsizing but I don't see much advantage in doing so, cost-wise. We bought our 4br, 3 ba, 3200 sq.ft. place for $207K with 5 1/2 acres and paved roads. I could easily get $400K for it today but where would we go? I have thought about buying land and just putting up a modular home.

bdj23
04-14-2019, 09:09 AM
I meant to say with Tongie addresses. It's been several years since we bought, but we are thinking of downsizing but I don't see much advantage in doing so, cost-wise. We bought our 4br, 3 ba, 3200 sq.ft. place for $207K with 5 1/2 acres and paved roads. I could easily get $400K for it today but where would we go? I have thought about buying land and just putting up a modular home.

There was a modular home out by Baldwin in the middle of nowhere on almost 9 acres I wanted to look at for under 200k. But the wife said no :cuss:

Third Eye
04-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Have you considered Raymore if you want to stay on the Missouri side? A bit out of the way, but would get more bang for the buck vs Leawood and Cass County taxes are a little more lax.

Yeah, that’s just too far out. We are renting in Lenexa currently and it’s too far out as it is. We want to be reasonably close to the city but still be in the burbs. Ideally we’d be closer to the city, but then affordability vs needs/wants becomes an issue. Plus, I work in OP and my wife works in south KC, so PV/Leawood keeps the commutes reasonable.

I think the only community on the MO side that really fits what we are looking for would be Parkville. I grew up north of the river and my folks still live up there. Unfortunately, there goes the nice commute.

BryanBusby
04-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Yeah, that’s just too far out. We are renting in Lenexa currently and it’s too far out as it is. We want to be reasonably close to the city but still be in the burbs. Ideally we’d be closer to the city, but then affordability vs needs/wants becomes an issue. Plus, I work in OP and my wife works in south KC, so PV/Leawood keeps the commutes reasonable.

I think the only community on the MO side that really fits what we are looking for would be Parkville. I grew up north of the river and my folks still live up there. Unfortunately, there goes the nice commute.
Leawood suckssssssss and I'd be concerned with buying in PV.

If my wife and I were in that situation, my wife and I would probably choose one job to live by. The one with the short commute would do more house work and the longer commute would get more choice on house features. I'd take a longer commute to make my wife do all the yardwork tbh

oldman
04-14-2019, 09:32 AM
Something around Lawrence is going to be pretty high, just because Lawrence. K-10 is a racetrack for all the commuters. I don't know where you both work, but Ottawa is an option if Lawrence is a must.
The problem living in the country we've found is you don't have things like cable (meaning expensive internet and TV), good cell service, and you have to plan ahead for a grocery store/fast food run. You adjust, though.

Third Eye
04-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Leawood suckssssssss and I'd be concerned with buying in PV.

If my wife and I were in that situation, my wife and I would probably choose one job to live by. The one with the short commute would do more house work and the longer commute would get more choice on house features. I'd take a longer commute to make my wife do all the yardwork tbh

This is a great conversation to have as we are about a year out from buying. I grew up making fun of Leawood folk, and JoCo in general. Then I moved out of KC for 20 years and just moved back, so I don’t really know a lot about KC anymore, and particularly not from an adult perspective. So why the concerns about PV and Leawood? Is it just a taxes thing?

School district is one of our biggest factors and based on balancing our wants/needs with school quality, it sounds like we want to be in the Shawnee Mission East school district. It’s the only highly rated district on the KS side that is not a Blue Valley school and south of 435. So that is a motivating factor for PV/north Leawood.

BryanBusby
04-14-2019, 09:44 AM
This is a great conversation to have as we are about a year out from buying. I grew up making fun of Leawood folk, and JoCo in general. Then I moved out of KC for 20 years and just moved back, so I don’t really know a lot about KC anymore, and particularly not from an adult perspective. So why the concerns about PV and Leawood? Is it just a taxes thing?

School district is one of our biggest factors and based on balancing our wants/needs with school quality, it sounds like we want to be in the Shawnee Mission East school district. It’s the only highly rated district on the KS side that is not a Blue Valley school and south of 435. So that is a motivating factor for PV/north Leawood.
I can see that point of view.

I just flat out do not like Leawood. The people are mostly jerks, everything looks awfully plain, HoA's are butt and the cops are dicks apparently.

As for PV, I'd just be concerned about all teardowns and rebuilding. Tax wise, it actually seemed like LS was worse when my wife and I were looking at places a year ago. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but fuck did they seem outrageous.

Coyote
04-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Maybe Nall Hills? Seems to fit many of your location needs and great access to major roads with neighborhood stability vs. price point. I’m not in kc area but have relatives there. http://nallhills.org

Coyote
04-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Meant to mention schools . Sorry. It’s in Sm South (Raiders) map for high school. Next to Blue Valley North for next HS boundary.I m not in kc area but have relatives there. http://nallhills.org

Discuss Thrower
04-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Consider writing love letters to the sellers if your agent lets you know it's not an obvious flipper or investment property. Not a fan of the concept myself seeing as it treads into violating Fair Housing laws but it supposedly works.

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 09:55 AM
During the last sell boom, people were walking up to houses and offering money to the owners to sell

BWillie
04-14-2019, 10:03 AM
My wife and I are trying to buy a house. We've looked at several. Seven so far to be exact. We have put in offers on five. The last one we offered 5,000 dollars over their asking price. We still don't have a house.

What. The. ****?

This is truly an awful experience. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this kind of nightmare?

Sounds like I need to sell my rentals. Good to hear the market is good!

oldman
04-14-2019, 10:06 AM

The SM school district isn't what it used to be. Desoto school district is better, but you have to live in western Shawnee or Lenexa. https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-school-districts/s/kansas/

bdj23
04-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Consider writing love letters to the sellers if your agent lets you know it's not an obvious flipper or investment property. Not a fan of the concept myself seeing as it treads into violating Fair Housing laws but it supposedly works.

Tried it

BryanBusby
04-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Tried it
Have you tried writing to say you intend to turn their house into a BDSM airbnb rental?

Third Eye
04-14-2019, 10:14 AM
I can see that point of view.

I just flat out do not like Leawood. The people are mostly jerks, everything looks awfully plain, HoA's are butt and the cops are dicks apparently.

As for PV, I'd just be concerned about all teardowns and rebuilding. Tax wise, it actually seemed like LS was worse when my wife and I were looking at places a year ago. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but fuck did they seem outrageous.

At this preliminary stage I haven’t yet been factoring in HOAs, but that will definitely be a part of the equation. The other points are good to know. I mean, I already knew about Leawood pricks, but the rest is good to know.

Third Eye
04-14-2019, 10:18 AM
Meant to mention schools . Sorry. It’s in Sm South (Raiders) map for high school. Next to Blue Valley North for next HS boundary.I m not in kc area but have relatives there. http://nallhills.org

I mean, we’ll be flexible. It’s not like we are Shawnee Mission East or bust, but it’s our target at this point.

Coyote
04-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Yeah the whole process sucks. Just embrace the suck and do the best. I’ve done this many times under many conditions to/from mostly high cost sellers markets. So Cal, Northern Virginia, Hi., etc.
As a seller, in those markets I’ve had all kinds of letter attempts made . None worked with me. Many were plays on new wives, sob stories and multiple Chiefs fans plays given my man caves decor and it’s out of norm for the locations. Most were above asking price.
My last 3 moves involved homes that were only hours on the markets with multiple offers. Hell, 2 houses ago, I left my power of attorney with an agent I just meant and instructions to buy me a house in a certain neighborhood . Nothing I would recommend or ever thought I’d do as a Midwesterner. But if your market is approaching this kind of crazy I’d be surprised but don’t truly know.
What as worked as a buyer and seller in sellers markets;
No B. S. No contingencies. Have your financing locked down. Show it.
No quibbling. The market sets the price. Don’t initially include allowances or low ball your offer over carpet, water heater, roof,etc.
No weird requests. What does or does not convey. Don’t fall for or try stunts about flat screens, refrigerators, etc. I’ve had people try to get me to leave plants and aquariums, etc. I probably would have if they just didn’t ask in their initial offer.
Be flexible on closing and move in dates. State that in your offer. Defer to the seller or negotiate it.
Use your inspectors findings as negotiating points after your initial offer has been accepted.

IA_Chiefs_fan
04-14-2019, 10:35 AM
The house we moved into last fall was never on the market. I put an ad on a local Facebook swap page. I was very specific about what we were looking for. Two people contacted me. One had forty acres and a beautiful home that was perfect for us. Shook hands and started moving stuff in pretty much immediately but that's a small town for you. Of course now I'm six months into paying two mortgages. Anyone want to buy a beautiful home in the poorest county in Iowa?

Coyote
04-14-2019, 10:38 AM
I mean, we’ll be flexible. It’s not like we are Shawnee Mission East or bust, but it’s our target at this point.

Well I would stick to it.It’s important. During all of my moves involving high schoolers, school selection drove all other considerations.

My wife and I locked down our neighbors choices only after dropping in unannounced to a high school during the school day.
It was amazing to see the differences between schools in the same district

bdj23
04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
Yeah the whole process sucks. Just embrace the suck and do the best. I’ve done this many times under many conditions to/from mostly high cost sellers markets. So Cal, Northern Virginia, Hi., etc.
As a seller, in those markets I’ve had all kinds of letter attempts made . None worked with me. Many were plays on new wives, sob stories and multiple Chiefs fans plays given my man caves decor and it’s out of norm for the locations. Most were above asking price.
My last 3 moves involved homes that were only hours on the markets with multiple offers. Hell, 2 houses ago, I left my power of attorney with an agent I just meant and instructions to buy me a house in a certain neighborhood . Nothing I would recommend or ever thought I’d do as a Midwesterner. But if your market is approaching this kind of crazy I’d be surprised but don’t truly know.
What as worked as a buyer and seller in sellers markets;
No B. S. No contingencies. Have your financing locked down. Show it.
No quibbling. The market sets the price. Don’t initially include allowances or low ball your offer over carpet, water heater, roof,etc.
No weird requests. What does or does not convey. Don’t fall for or try stunts about flat screens, refrigerators, etc. I’ve had people try to get me to leave plants and aquariums, etc. I probably would have if they just didn’t ask in their initial offer.
Be flexible on closing and move in dates. State that in your offer. Defer to the seller or negotiate it.
Use your inspectors findings as negotiating points after your initial offer has been accepted.

We've pretty much done all this. We've basically done everything short of me dipping into my 401k and/or completely exhausting our savings account.

Like I said earlier, we have to compete with 4-8 other offers every bid we put in on. We can't come in 12k over asking and at least 1 house we got beat out by straight cash, homie.

Valiant
04-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Remember that after underwriting, contracts change, Realtors are whores who don't do anything that's not in their interest.

One of my buyers had 3 days to come up w/ $8K or their deposit, the carpet was lost.. They closed.

Deposits/earnest payments with Realtors are returned.....In my contracts, they choose the carpet and paint, they own it even if they fail to close.

Offer sight unseen is they made an offer without looking at the house.

Coyote
04-14-2019, 11:45 AM
We've pretty much done all this. We've basically done everything short of me dipping into my 401k and/or completely exhausting our savings account.

Like I said earlier, we have to compete with 4-8 other offers every bid we put in on. We can't come in 12k over asking and at least 1 house we got beat out by straight cash, homie.

Yeah sucks is good description. No embracing about it.

BWillie
04-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Anybody want a 4 bedroom shithole in Olathe as is? I'm your guy. You'll get a gret deal on it because I'm lazy.

SAUTO
04-14-2019, 12:06 PM

He's a know it all know nothing

bdj23
04-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Anybody want a 4 bedroom shithole in Olathe as is? I'm your guy. You'll get a gret deal on it because I'm lazy.

How shitty we talking?

BWillie
04-14-2019, 12:21 PM
How shitty we talking?

Most houses in neighborhood worth 230k. I give you mine for 190k. Nothing wrong with it, just needs updated Master bathroom. Probably new carpet in bedrooms. New flooring in basement and kitchen.

MahiMike
04-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Get a 15 year loan.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Yeah, send your kids to school with the Tongie pig farmers.

SAUTO
04-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Get a 15 year loan.

This. Definitely.

lewdog
04-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Houses under 200k and not in the ghetto?

Is this even real life?

BWillie
04-14-2019, 12:32 PM
Houses under 200k and not in the ghetto?

Is this even real life?

When I bought it it was $160,000 and I thought that was a great deal.

Don't you live in Phoenix? This cost of living calculator says houses are 9.4% more in Olathe than Phx? Couldn't imagine that is true, but thats what it says.
https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-living/phoenix-az/olathe-ks/200000

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Sounds like I need to sell my rentals. Good to hear the market is good!

I cant see why would want to have a rental in a city right now. Prices are good, free up some cash. Invest.

We are renting out the farm house. Pain in the ass.

BWillie
04-14-2019, 12:45 PM
I cant see why would want to have a rental in a city right now. Prices are good, free up some cash. Invest.

We are renting out the farm house. Pain in the ass.

Yeah I'm about ready to do that. Get out of the game, lay low. But what to invest in that I can beat 8-10%?

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Yeah I'm about ready to do that. Get out of the game, lay low. But what to invest in that I can beat 8-10%?

Ask Lewdog. He may be able to lead you into something good.

Also talk to the accountant on rules-you prob knew that.

Coach
04-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Amazing, already 8 pages, and still not an Bugeater post.

The Franchise
04-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Amazing, already 8 pages, and still not an Bugeater post.

Only because you missed it.

Coach
04-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Only because you missed it.

Good find. I missed it.

Bowser
04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
Honestly, I may just rent the rest of my life. Buying a house DOES suck, as does the upkeep and repairs.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/bWM2eWYfN3r20" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-gif-bWM2eWYfN3r20">via GIPHY</a></p>

(doesn't help my state of mind that I'm usually gone 11-13 hours a day with work, but still)

Coach
04-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Honestly, I may just rent the rest of my life. Buying a house DOES suck, as does the upkeep and repairs.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/bWM2eWYfN3r20" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/aint-nobody-got-time-for-that-gif-bWM2eWYfN3r20">via GIPHY</a></p>

(doesn't help my state of mind that I'm usually gone 11-13 hours a day with work, but still)

Same here. Me and the wife live in the northland by Tiffany Springs area, and it's a nice area.

We have talked about a house, but at the end, it just wasn't worth the investment for us since we're pretty much gone half of the day due to work or events anyways.

Plus, most houses around here is going for $300,000 at the minimum.

Bowser
04-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Same here. Me and the wife live in the northland by Tiffany Springs area, and it's a nice area.

We have talked about a house, but at the end, it just wasn't worth the investment for us since we're pretty much gone half of the day due to work or events anyways.

Plus, most houses around here is going for $300,000 at the minimum.

Right. I moved up that way as well, I'm 4 minutes away from Zona. Love it up here.

It's definitely a sellers market right now, so that doesn't help anything. I'm not ruling out one day diving back into house ownership, but right now I'm just fine.

Coach
04-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Right. I moved up that way as well, I'm 4 minutes away from Zona. Love it up here.

It's definitely a sellers market right now, so that doesn't help anything. I'm not ruling out one day diving back into house ownership, but right now I'm just fine.

Huh, you're not too far off from where I am then.

bdj23
04-14-2019, 01:55 PM

I'm tired of living around unemployed crackheads and renting from slum lords who refuse put any of those thousands of dollars I give them back into their properties.

Plus I ain't getting any younger, I'd like to have start a family soon.

Coach
04-14-2019, 01:57 PM
I'm tired of living around unemployed crackheads and renting from slum lords who to put any of those thousands of dollars I give them back into their properties.

Well, I can't speak for your experience, but there are good apartment complexes that does care, just have to do some hard and time consuming research.

What I find the best way to do is just scout the area, then just talk to the property managers/leasing agent, and equally important, just walk around the apartment complex without the property managers/leasing agent and see if there are any people outside that potentially lives there, and talk to them face to face.

Bowser
04-14-2019, 01:59 PM
I'm tired of living around unemployed crackheads and renting from slum lords who refuse put any of those thousands of dollars I give them back into their properties.

Plus I ain't getting any younger, I'd like to have start a family soon.

Yeah, that too. The neighborhood I lived in for years took a serious nosedive that last 4-5 years, so it was time to go. The place I found is a little more pricey, but so totally worth it.

bdj23
04-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Well, I can't speak for your experience, but there are good apartment complexes that does care, just have to do some hard and time consuming research.

What I find the best way to do is just scout the area, then just talk to the property managers/leasing agent, and equally important, just walk around the apartment complex without the property managers/leasing agent and see if there are any people outside that potentially lives there, and talk to them face to face.

That's what I thought when I moved into this place, you'd think for $1000/month my management company would at least make sure that my apartment doesn't smell like cigarettes (per their lease agreement) and that kind of pricetag would scare the scummies away.

But nope. It's advertised as luxury apartments. But my place is a dump.

Coach
04-14-2019, 02:14 PM
That's what I thought when I moved into this place, you'd think for $1000/month my management company would at least make sure that my apartment doesn't smell like cigarettes (per their lease agreement) and that kind of pricetag would scare the scummies away.

But nope. It's advertised as luxury apartments. But my place is a dump.

Sorry to hear about that situation. Did they go through new management when you lived there? Was it good before something went sideways?

Too bad KCMO where I am at is probably a bit a ways from your desired location. It's a good area where I am.

Pablo
04-14-2019, 02:22 PM
It was like that to an extent back in 2015 when we bought. Only gotten worse if you're looking for stuff under $250k. Glad we bought when we did. Our $150k house has increased about 40k in 4 years doing jack shit except living in it. Kinda ridiculous.

displacedinMN
04-14-2019, 02:27 PM
My neighborhood took a nosedive the second I moved in. I was the first to move in.

Sounds like a Dangerfield joke.

bdj23
04-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear about that situation. Did they go through new management when you lived there? Was it good before something went sideways?

Too bad KCMO where I am at is probably a bit a ways from your desired location. It's a good area where I am.

Two changes iirc - the worst part is the culprits of all our problems are friends with the lady in the office, so she won't do anything about it.

When we originally moved in, the lady in the office was super authoritarian and she enjoyed enforcing the rules. But she quit a few weeks after we signed our last lease (18 months) and this new lady took over and it's gone downhill ever since.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 03:01 PM
I had the property for less than two years. It sold for more than 30% above purchase price.

Edit:. I should clarify that our counter was to remove the flooring allowance built into the offer that they wanted wrapped into their financing. It resulted in the same amount of money in my pocket.

Nobody cares that you're making money, underwriters want solid income and credit from buyers, and a house that appraises for more than contract with no BS attached to it..Like remodeled basement with no permits.

Actually... The IRS cares, they will be getting about $6600 from the sale

Coach
04-14-2019, 03:03 PM
Two changes iirc - the worst part is the culprits of all our problems are friends with the lady in the office, so she won't do anything about it.

When we originally moved in, the lady in the office was super authoritarian and she enjoyed enforcing the rules. But she quit a few weeks after we signed our last lease (18 months) and this new lady took over and it's gone downhill ever since.

Yeah, that definitely will do it. The lady currently in our complex is the authoritarian type, so I'm good with that. Managers who are tough/enforce it really good are the types that people hate, but kept the property in good condition. The other kinds, well, like you just said, it just goes downhill.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 03:20 PM

I've seen houses bought from across the country but I would hardly say that 43 pictures, walk through video, and a local connection was unseen.

cooper barrett
04-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Get a 15 year loan.

Always,

budget for 15 but sometimes the right house requires a purchase w/ 30 year note.

Making extra payments is the next best thing.

Tombstone RJ
04-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Always,

budget for 15 but sometimes the right house requires a purchase w/ 30 year note.

Making extra payments is the next best thing.

This. Get a 30 year fixed but pay it off in 15. Just make extra payments toward the principle. So if you mortgage is $1000, pay $1500 a month but make sure that extra $500 goes directly to the principle.