PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Greatest Movie Franchises of All Time - West Division Round 2

DaFace
04-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Links to preceding threads:
Nomination Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322178)
Play-in Round (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322234)
East Division Round 1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322259)
West Division Round 1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322273)
South Division Round 1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322298)
Midwest Division Round 1 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322311)
East Division Round 2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322311)

You can view the entire tournament bracket here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A8LPJwv-1hy600fjMMNknfWmv2qGXUP6e7-smgp3Yyo/edit#gid=633401577) as we go along, but here's the current state of the West division:

https://i.imgur.com/0nHMzQv.png

Please vote for the franchise in each pair that you feel is most deserving of being in consideration for the Greatest Movie Franchise of All Time. I'll put one of these up every day or two as we go along. So vote!

Possible Concerns and Responses:
A franchise I like isn't on the list! Too bad. Nominations are closed. This is just a fun offseason diversion, but feel free to complain in the thread if it will make you feel better.
There's something on the list that I don't even think is a franchise! Don't vote for it.
There's something on the list that I don't recognize. Yeah, there are a few that I don't recognize either. If you feel generous, look it up and determine if you think it's worthy. Or just don't vote for it. Either option is allowed.
The seeding seems weird (or there's something I have no idea how it got in there). The seeding is based on total estimated tickets from Box Office Mojo, but some older franchises were randomly seeded since we don't have any data available about their ticket sales. Again, if you don't feel something is deserving, don't vote for it!

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 10:27 AM
James Bond never had as much drama as trying to time a lightning strike to an 88 mph Delorean.

Shoes
04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Back to the Future
The Hangover
Shrek
Jurassic Park

Dartgod
04-16-2019, 10:38 AM
James Bond never had as much drama as trying to time a lightning strike to an 88 mph Delorean.

Please...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9H8UkrKN2rQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
04-16-2019, 10:39 AM
I voted for:

* “ I'm sure in 1985 plutonium is in every corner drug store, but in 1955, its a little hard to come by! I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you're stuck here”

* “It's not a purse. It's a sachel. Besides, Indiana Jones has one”

* “Wax on, wax off”

* “I am going to count to three. There will not be a four.”

DaFace
04-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Early returns obviously don't dictate the entire matchup, but BTTF taking down Bond would likely be the biggest upset of this entire tournament by far.

TLO
04-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Bond Games Shrek Hard

Sofa King
04-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Bond should win the whole damn thing IMO

DaFace
04-16-2019, 11:19 AM
Bond should win the whole damn thing IMO

I think it's really going to come down to the distribution of preferences. My theory is that a lot of the BIG franchises have their own loyal following, but that following doesn't change a ton. If you're a "Bond fan," you see EVERY Bond film. If you're an "MCU fan,' you've seen EVERY MCU film.

Star Wars is a little different since it's such a cultural phenomenon. It has far fewer films out there, but you could argue that its influence on society has been much bigger than either the MCU or Bond.

Batman's weird. There have been a ton of them, but they've been from dramatically different perspectives and overall vibes. I doubt it survives as a true contender for #1.

So, in short, Bond is definitely a strong contender for #1, but I also think it's possible it could be knocked out early (as could any of them, really) because none of them truly appeal to a majority of the market. If some other franchise comes along that people have warm fuzzy feelings about (like BTTF), it's possible.

Time will tell.

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 11:34 AM
The Hangover is a one-man wolfpack.

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 11:36 AM
Early returns obviously don't dictate the entire matchup, but BTTF taking down Bond would likely be the biggest upset of this entire tournament by far.

I think BTTF might deserve to win it all. I'm rooting for it.

Prison Bitch
04-16-2019, 11:36 AM
People actually liked the hangover

Sad and pathetic

Renegade
04-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Sad and pathetic

I know-a drunk fest in Vegas vs kids killing kids. Shouldn't even be close

patteeu
04-16-2019, 12:01 PM

Sad and pathetic

It’s up against a chick flick. :shrug:

DJJasonp
04-16-2019, 12:03 PM
There may never be a more solid three films in a trilogy than Back to the Future.

There are some damn good bond films though.

A really tough matchup there.

Prison Bitch
04-16-2019, 12:06 PM
There may never be a more solid three films in a trilogy than Back to the Future.

There are some damn good bond films though.

A really tough matchup there.

Dude 2 & 3 blew ass

This is Die Hard in a walk, gmafb people.

Anyone who votes Hunger > Die Hard loses any future right to be called a man.

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 12:22 PM
Dude 2 & 3 blew ass

Mary Steenburgen was in #3. It couldn't possibly be bad for that reason alone. She's my favorite cougar actress.

And 2 and 3 were both awesome even atop Steenburgen. I think you're remembering some other movies or something.

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Sad and pathetic

And you don't like the Hangover movies, either? I'm thinking that you didn't get proper training in movie watching or something.

JohnnyV13
04-16-2019, 02:05 PM
I can’t believe there’s no Bridget Jones series included

jjchieffan
04-16-2019, 02:12 PM
The Hangover is by far the worst movie left in this region. But it's probably going to advance due to all the junior high level brains on this forum.

patteeu
04-16-2019, 02:56 PM
The Hangover is by far the worst movie left in this region. But it's probably going to advance due to all the junior high level brains on this forum.

Yeah, it's a tragedy that fine art like Hunger Games won't move on. LMAO

MTG#10
04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
I know-a drunk fest in Vegas vs kids killing kids. Shouldn't even be close

Hunger Games is nothing more than a shitty ripoff of Battle Royale. That garbage shouldn't have made past the first round.

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Heh-heh. You said fart.

And the Hangover movies are entertaining.

Rain Man
04-16-2019, 03:06 PM

Heh-heh. You said fart.

And the Hangover movies are entertaining. You can't deny it.

jjchieffan
04-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Yeah, it's a tragedy that fine art like Hunger Games won't move on. LMAO

The tragedy is that it beat out Fast and the Furious. I only voted for Hunger Games because Hangover shouldn't even be there. If Fast and Furious was there, I would have chosen it.

patteeu
04-16-2019, 04:29 PM
The tragedy is that it beat out Fast and the Furious. I only voted for Hunger Games because Hangover shouldn't even be there. If Fast and Furious was there, I would have chosen it.

You have highly refined tastes. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise even if nearly everyone tries to.

Imon Yourside
04-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Dude 2 & 3 blew ass

Should be Die hard and Joassic park followed by Back to the Future, never been a Bond guy.

MTG#10
04-16-2019, 05:04 PM

Calling out The Hangover then admitting you like Fast and the Furious?

ROFL

jjchieffan
04-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Calling out The Hangover then admitting you like Fast and the Furious?

ROFL

I don't see the correlation. I like Fast and Furious because I like the fast cars and the action. How is that anything like the Hangover?

ThaVirus
04-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Good Lord, what a shit heat.

MTG#10
04-16-2019, 05:27 PM
I don't see the correlation. I like Fast and Furious because I like the fast cars and the action. How is that anything like the Hangover?

Terrible acting, nonsensical over-the-top stunts that aren't the least bit believable in a movie full of shitty rice-burners. What's not to love?

jjchieffan
04-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Terrible acting, nonsensical over-the-top stunts that aren't the least bit believable in a movie full of shitty rice-burners. What's not to love?

And yet, still a million times better than that trash the Hangover.

O.city
04-16-2019, 06:09 PM
It’s Bond. What are you all women?

DaFace
04-17-2019, 09:55 AM
Bump. Some close ones in this division.

WhawhaWhat
04-17-2019, 09:59 AM
Back to the Future
The Hangover
Karate Kid
Die Hard

mr. tegu
04-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Back to the Future
The Hangover
Shrek
Jurassic Park

Exactly what I did. But it looks like on most of these everyone is voting wrong.

Shoes
04-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Apparently I am underestimating the Christmas classic Die Hard- I'm stunned it's beating Jurassic Park.

Rain Man
04-17-2019, 10:32 AM
A majority of the voters are wrong, indeed are badly wrong, in this heat.

suzzer99
04-17-2019, 11:09 AM
https://images.rapgenius.com/71106d71f3ba14fe802c65a8bd03a347.499x300x8.gif

Still in a blind rage about Alien.

DaFace
04-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Apparently I am underestimating the Christmas classic Die Hard- I'm stunned it's beating Jurassic Park.

Same here. In fact, I hadn't even noticed and had just assumed Jurassic Park would take it. Crazy.

Renegade
04-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Yippee Kiyyee as John McClain would say

MTG#10
04-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Not according to Chiefs Planet, and we both know the collective majority opinion here is always correct.

:D

Coochie liquor
04-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Bond
Hangover
Shrek
Jurassic Park

Coochie liquor
04-17-2019, 05:56 PM

I’m curious how a person that thinks dinosaurs happened and became extinct in the last 6000 years voted on the Jurassic Park vs Die Hard?

loochy
04-17-2019, 06:08 PM
I’m curious how a person that thinks dinosaurs happened and became extinct in the last 6000 years voted on the Jurassic Park vs Die Hard?

So you think that every movie you like is based on reality?

DaFace
04-18-2019, 09:24 AM
Well, we have our first two major upsets. Karate Kid takes down Shrek, and Jurassic Park goes down to Die Hard. Crazy.

Rain Man
04-18-2019, 03:22 PM
(Looks at photograph of Back To The Future fading out.)

(Tries to get more voters to hook up in the back of a car with BTTF.)

Frazod
04-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Well, we have our first two major upsets. Karate Kid takes down Shrek, and Jurassic Park goes down to Die Hard. Crazy.

Cobra Kai undoubtedly pushed Karate Kid over the top.

And while the sequels never came close to the original Die Hard, the original Die Hard is perhaps the greatest pure action movie ever made.

O.city
04-18-2019, 03:35 PM
I actually watched Die Hard with a Vengeance the other night. I've always enjoyed it.

Frazod
04-18-2019, 03:38 PM
I actually watched Die Hard with a Vengeance the other night. I've always enjoyed it.

Yeah, it wasn't bad - probably the best of the sequels. The second one had some good action sequences, and I liked John Amos as the backstabbing heavy, as long as you didn't try to think about the gaping plot holes.