PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Bill Barnwell proposes two trades the Chiefs should make in the draft

The Franchise
04-17-2019, 05:11 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26539614/all-trades-2019-nfl-mock-draft-bill-barnwell-proposes-32-wild-deals

One is a trade up for a DE or CB. One is a trade down but we get a DE back in the trade.

18. Minnesota Vikings
Vikings get: 1-29, 2-63
Chiefs get: 1-18, 6-190

After re-signing Anthony Barr and giving Adam Thielen a much-deserved raise as part of his contract extension, general manager Rick Spielman and the Vikings know they need to nail their draft picks to find regulars on low-cost deals. Minnesota will naturally look to address its offensive line yet again in the draft, but it might be more interested in guards if it plans to keep Riley Reiff at tackle. The Vikings could be better off moving down and picking up an extra second-round pick.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, have to be aggressive in going after edge-rushing help after somehow turning Dee Ford and Justin Houston into Alex Okafor and Emmanuel Ogbah this offseason. Trading up to the middle of the first round might give them a shot at adding someone like Brian Burns to their rotation at defensive end. The Chiefs also could use this trade, which includes the second-rounder Kansas City acquired from the Rams in the Marcus Peters deal, to trade up for their pick of the cornerback class.

29. Kansas City Chiefs
Chiefs get: DE Carl Lawson, 2-42, 4-110
Bengals get: 1-29, 6-201

A Bengals trade up is about as rare as it gets, but with the Packers and Patriots lurking as teams that could at least consider using a first-round pick on a quarterback like Daniel Jones, any team interested in nabbing a quarterback is going to have to talk to the Chiefs. If the Bengals don't draft a passer with their first-round pick, moving into the bottom of the first round would be a plausible alternative.

Kansas City general manager Brett Veach already has two late second-round picks, but as the Chiefs build their roster around a core of stars who are about to get very expensive, they're going to need talented players on rookie deals. Here, they get a pair of valuable picks and a pass-rusher with upside in Lawson, who had 8.5 sacks and 21 hits as a rookie before tearing his ACL last season. With two years left on his rookie deal, any sort of return to that rookie form would make Lawson extremely valuable for a Chiefs team desperately seeking edge-rushing help.

It's a slow fucking day.

OnTheWarpath15
04-17-2019, 05:13 PM
You know, I wouldn't be opposed to the Lawson deal.

BryanBusby
04-17-2019, 05:13 PM
I could live with the Bengals proposal.

The Franchise
04-17-2019, 05:14 PM
You know, I wouldn't be opposed to the Lawson deal.

My exact thoughts when I first saw it.

Carl Lawson
3 2nd round picks, a 3rd and a 4th?

Works for me.

SAUTO
04-17-2019, 05:16 PM
I don't mind either of those deals

BryanBusby
04-17-2019, 05:19 PM
I think giving up 1+2 for Burns would be not great.

TribalElder
04-17-2019, 05:24 PM
If there truly are only 15 first round talents and we trade up to 18 I hope three or more teams in front of us were dumb as fuck

SAUTO
04-17-2019, 05:24 PM
I think giving up 1+2 for Burns would be not great.

I was thinking more about one of the top corners

BryanBusby
04-17-2019, 05:25 PM
I was thinking more about one of the top corners
Yeah, I could see that.

If it were for Burns, I'd wonder why they just didn't keep Dee Ford.

Bump
04-17-2019, 05:27 PM
really don't care about people's made up trade deals.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Okay.

oldman
04-18-2019, 08:44 AM
I'd be in on the 2nd trade since we'd get an additional 2. I don't see a whole lot of value in giving up our 1 and a 2 to move up.

DJ's left nut
04-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Both of those deals would be completely defensible depending on circumstance.

But didn't Lawson just blow out a knee or something? And I know he blew one out in college and that's why he fell.

I really liked the guy during the draft and I wouldn't mind getting him. In that deal he has the value of, what, a 5th round pick or so? So that's not terrible but I think you need to remember that his health history is pretty spotty.

And our history of pass rushers returning from major knee injuries isn't great.

TambaBerry
04-18-2019, 08:57 AM
I'd be in on the 2nd trade since we'd get an additional 2. I don't see a whole lot of value in giving up our 1 and a 2 to move up.

you're not getting an additional anything, you're swapping your first for a second

lcarus
04-18-2019, 08:57 AM
If there truly are only 15 first round talents and we trade up to 18 I hope three or more teams in front of us were dumb as fuck

Well we know Kyler Murray will get taken so theres 1 at least

Rain Man
04-18-2019, 09:11 AM
If there truly are only 15 first round talents and we trade up to 18 I hope three or more teams in front of us were dumb as ****

Elway will have one of those.

oldman
04-18-2019, 09:33 AM
you're not getting an additional anything, you're swapping your first for a second

I understand that, but in this draft I'm not sure #29 is all that valuable. At least for our immediate needs. If there are truly only 15 players that are true #1s, the only thing you gain with a 1st round pick is the 5th year option. Just an opinion.

The Franchise
04-18-2019, 09:35 AM

We'd have a pick in the 4th round.

oldman
04-18-2019, 10:06 AM
That, too. Looks to me that pick 110 is better than 201.

Gravedigger
04-18-2019, 10:16 AM
If there truly are only 15 first round talents and we trade up to 18 I hope three or more teams in front of us were dumb as ****

*shakes magic eight ball* Outlook Likely