PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Did Frank Clark get Tyreek Hill's money? If so... what's the plan?

Dante84
04-23-2019, 05:55 PM
- It sounds like we are still moving forward with Chris Jones' extension, which will be around $20M / year.

- We just paid Frank Clark a shitton of money.

- We are going to make Pat Mahomes the highest paid player in NFL history, possibly as soon as next offseason.

- With Hill's status unknown, we clearly are not going to pay him until this situation irons out, and even then, perhaps the deal signed with Frank Clark today was indicative of our plan to not extend Hill.

- Assuming Hill is not in trouble, we have him under contract and he plays this season.

- We could franchise him next season. If we do that, and he's still not in trouble, he would be smart to hold out. And if that all occurs, then he would be a prime candidate for a tag & trade. What would he net in return?

What is the game plan for replacing Hill's production moving forward?

- Draft Hardman/Isabella/Other?
- Trade in 2020?
- FA in 2020?
- Extend Watkins beyond 2020?
- Does D-Rob or Pringle blow up?
- Do we change our offense and focus on a different attack plan?

Hammock Parties
04-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Doesn't matter have Mahomes.

Chris Meck
no.

Easy 6
Find more money

TwistedChief
04-23-2019, 05:58 PM
We didn't need to extend Hill this offseason. And his ongoing case has made it a complete afterthought. I'm sure even Hill himself understands it.

Shoes
04-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Hill's offseason fiasco buys the Chiefs another year of cheap labor. Revisit next year.

Dante84
04-23-2019, 06:02 PM
We didn't need to extend Hill this offseason. And his ongoing case has made it a complete afterthought. I'm sure even Hill himself understands it.

True, but we will need to make a decision next season. And the amount of money gave Clark today, paired with the money we will give Jones & Mahomes next year will certainly impact their decision and ability to make an agreement with Hill.

I find it hard to believe they aren't thinking ahead.

Mulliganman
04-23-2019, 06:03 PM
No extension this year and probably tagged next year.

New World Order
Tag Tyreek and after we win back-to-back Superbowls he can walk...

Dante84
Hill's offseason fiasco buys the Chiefs another year of cheap labor. Revisit next year.

Agree.

But Clark's contract today + Jones + Mahomes... is there enough to pay Hill?

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2019, 06:04 PM
The Clark trade to me says that they aren’t worried about any major legal discipline. Because the optics of that potential scenario after trading for Clark are so horrific.

But who knows. Maybe they don’t plan to keep Hill now beyond 2019. I would...

Watkins’ deal will come off the books next year and they could go cheaper at LT eventually if necessary.

Shoes
04-23-2019, 06:04 PM
True, but we will need to make a decision next season. And the amount of money gave Clark today, paired with the money we will give Jones & Mahomes next year will certainly impact their decision and ability to make an agreement with Hill.

Path of least resistance would likely be cutting Sammy Watkins and giving that money to Hill if you want an realistic answer today.

TwistedChief
04-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Absolutely. And this is one of the main reasons why we can walk away from Watkins next season and why we need to draft or develop a WR this season.

The Bad Guy
04-23-2019, 06:08 PM
Mellinger wrote an article today that the team is still confident it can pay Hill/Mahomes/Jones long term. It's all about structure and you can structure Mahomes extension to start after year 5 to get things to fit.

Bump
If Hill isn't banned from the NFL entirely, then we should lock up Hill, probably get him cheaper now. Fuck being the nice guy and trying to do the right thing and cut him just so some other team swoops him up on the cheap.

BryanBusby
no

New World Order
04-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Agree.

Yes.

Counting Jones and Clark's money we're at about 35-40 million in 2020. Could be closer to 50 million if they draft Fisher's replacement next year.

I think they'll probably tag Tyreek after all of this family drama.

loochy
04-23-2019, 06:11 PM
No

Iconic
04-23-2019, 06:16 PM
yes

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-23-2019, 06:17 PM
I'm still waiting to hear the financial actuals/plan. Anyone?

Or are we just going to sit here and pretend that the Chiefs are as good with money as they are at negotiations?

ChiliConCarnage
04-23-2019, 06:20 PM
I can't imagine offering Hill a contract at this moment. The franchise tag might actually be a reasonable deal for Tyreek.

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2019, 06:21 PM
Mellinger wrote an article today that the team is still confident it can pay Hill/Mahomes/Jones long term. It's all about structure and you can structure Mahomes extension to start after year 5 to get things to fit.

Well he still has the 5th year option in his back pocket for Mahomes where the cap hit would probably come in only around $25M.

New World Order
04-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Guessing Clark's cap hit this year will be 10 mil or so then in 2020 after we cut Sammy it will be a whopping 25-30 mil?

Sassy Squatch
04-23-2019, 06:26 PM
If we actually did use money earmarked for Hill to instead pay for Clark then

1. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING, VEACH AND REID!?!?!

2. We've got to get some WRs in now. Both Hill and Watkins are out the door in this scenario.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Terez said if the Chiefs want to extend Hill they can. You can always find a way to make the money work

Iconic
04-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Terez said if the Chiefs want to extend Hill they can. You can always find a way to make the money work

Yes of course. At the cost of making the rest of our roster dog shit they can do practically anything lol.

poolboy
04-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Alex Gordon will be off the books next year too

seclark
04-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Still thinking about it
Sec

kcpasco
04-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Maybe. Hill really ****ed himself with the off field drama. Guilty or not.

Hill might be the most explosive player in the NFL but if the defense can be better than dogshit, Mahomes could win a Superbowl without him.

Easy 6
04-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Path of least resistance would likely be cutting Sammy Watkins and giving that money to Hill if you want an realistic answer today.

DrRyan
04-23-2019, 07:04 PM
It would really be a downer to lose Hill with Pat setting the world on fire. His skills align with Pat's so well. All that said, great WRs aren't the secret sauce to winning super bowls. How many rings did Moss, TO, Julio Jones, AB, Hopkins, etc win?

I'm not the biggest Cowherd fan but I tend to agree with his "WRs are the icing on the cake" position. Great QBs elevate the receivers around them. Great WRs are not needed to win it all.

Eleazar
04-23-2019, 07:10 PM
Hill is a great weapon, but speed guys usually live short lives in the NFL.

Jones should absolutely be paid whatever it takes, and we to continue to add weapons around Mahomes so that when Hill departs we don’t miss a beat.

bobhill
04-23-2019, 07:14 PM
With Tyreek Hill status still up in the air there's no way the team was going to lock him up make him the highest-paid wide receiver this year not until his issues clear up or he's off the team

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2019, 07:18 PM
No. The Chiefs are stupid, but they aren’t brain dead. Hill is what Pat needs to be MVP. Assuming Clark is not a complete bitch, Hill will get paid.

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2019, 07:20 PM
If Hill isn't banned from the NFL entirely, then we should lock up Hill, probably get him cheaper now. **** being the nice guy and trying to do the right thing and cut him just so some other team swoops him up on the cheap.

They didn’t HAVE to do that with Hunt, but they chose to do so. Winning isn’t always the priority.

comochiefsfan
04-23-2019, 07:24 PM
If Hill isn't banned from the NFL entirely, then we should lock up Hill, probably get him cheaper now. Fuck being the nice guy and trying to do the right thing and cut him just so some other team swoops him up on the cheap.
Exactly. Barring damning evidence, we would be complete fools to let Hill go.

How many analysts and media members are criticizing the Browns for signing Kareem Hunt? No one.

The narrative now is, "Imagine how great the Browns offense will be when Hunt comes back from suspension?!"

Every time I read a headline like that it makes me sick to my stomach. We gave an elite RB to a conference rival for nothing because we were scared of backlash, and Cleveland gets nothing but praise for signing him. It sucks.

Titty Meat
04-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Doesnt matter we have Mahomes

Pitt Gorilla
04-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Exactly. Barring damning evidence, we would be complete fools to let Hill go.

How many analysts and media members are criticizing the Browns for signing Kareem Hunt? No one.

The narrative now is, "Imagine how great the Browns offense will be when Hunt comes back from suspension?!"

Every time I read a headline like that it makes me sick to my stomach. We gave an elite RB to a conference rival for nothing because we were scared of backlash, and Cleveland gets nothing but praise for signing him. It sucks.
I’m not sure what people thought was going to happen; it was always clear to me that some team, if not many teams, would line up for an under-valued asset.

In58men
04-23-2019, 08:12 PM
She just posted this. Do you think it’s old?

Is she pregnant?

Discuss

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/7b2cf620e3b74440c2623a40c8d56cb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2019, 08:17 PM
She just posted this. Do you think it’s old?

Is she pregnant?

Discuss

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190424/7b2cf620e3b74440c2623a40c8d56cb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea she’s pregnant with twins. Tyreek announced this during the playoffs

Iowanian
04-23-2019, 08:18 PM
I'm not at all concerned about the money or salary cap to pay Mahomes and hill.

The new CBA is going to butt sex the current system and there will be a shitload more money to pay the players a shitload more money about next year.

In58men
04-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Yea she’s pregnant with twins. Tyreek announced this during the playoffs

Discussion over

tmax63
04-23-2019, 08:36 PM
The "capologists" here make me laugh. They aren't spending my money directly, they're spending Clark's. If they want to do something personnel wise cap is probably last on the list of worry. If they want it they will make it happen. See NE, Denver et al.

Simply Red
04-23-2019, 08:38 PM
With Tyreek Hill status still up in the air there's no way the team was going to lock him up make him the highest-paid wide receiver this year not until his issues clear up or he's off the team

Thank you - I was wondering

Dante84
04-23-2019, 09:54 PM
Terez weighs in on the subject. Sounds promising!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some bonus notes on the Clark trade, from what I’ve been told:<br><br>•There was not an internal consensus in SEA about trading Clark. Some wanted to keep him.<br><br>•KC views Clark as the NFL’s 2nd-best edge rusher.<br><br>•The trade does NOT impact KC’s ability to sign Jones, Hill or Fuller.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1120896836007550976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2019, 09:56 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some bonus notes on the Clark trade, from what I’ve been told:<br><br>•There was not an internal consensus in SEA about trading Clark. Some wanted to keep him.<br><br>•KC views Clark as the NFL’s 2nd-best edge rusher.<br><br>•The trade does NOT impact KC’s ability to sign Jones, Hill or Fuller.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1120896836007550976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fuller is one I keep forgetting.

There’s no way they pay them all.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM

Fuck Yes!!!! I’m so moist!!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2019, 09:58 PM
Fuller is one I keep forgetting.

There’s no way they pay them all.

They can find a way if they really want to. Schwartz deal needs to be re done in 2 years as well

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2019, 10:00 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All three</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1120898863240552449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2019, 10:03 PM
They must be expecting the new CBA to change things drastically. Because I don’t see how they could ever fit Clark, Mahomes, Jones, Hill, Fuller, HB, etc. all under the current cap structure.

Simply Red
04-23-2019, 10:06 PM
June 2nd we'll get that Berry bread. 10 Mill IIRC

Bump
04-23-2019, 10:06 PM
It would really be a downer to lose Hill with Pat setting the world on fire. His skills align with Pat's so well. All that said, great WRs aren't the secret sauce to winning super bowls. How many rings did Moss, TO, Julio Jones, AB, Hopkins, etc win?

I'm not the biggest Cowherd fan but I tend to agree with his "WRs are the icing on the cake" position. Great QBs elevate the receivers around them. Great WRs are not needed to win it all.

theres's been some great WR's that have won Superbowls tho...

BossChief
04-23-2019, 10:12 PM
They must be expecting the new CBA to change things drastically. Because I don’t see how they could ever fit Clark, Mahomes, Jones, Hill, Fuller, HB, etc. all under the current cap structure.

We have 20m+ in cap space right now.

An extension for Jones wouldn’t hit a big cap # till 2021 if signed this offseason. Extensions are tacked on to the end of the current deal. Same with Hill. And Fuller. 2019/2020 are the last 2 years of the current CBA. All reports suggest the cap will go way up after that.

So, it’s all about how the deals get structured...but they can afford those 3 and still be fine.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-23-2019, 10:16 PM
You realize they can still afford Hill right? It's not that difficult to fit him in with all the room they will have.

pugsnotdrugs19
04-23-2019, 10:16 PM
We have 20m+ in cap space right now.

An extension for Jones wouldn’t hit a big cap # till 2021 if signed this offseason. Extensions are tacked on to the end of the current deal. Same with Hill. And Fuller. 2019/2020 are the last 2 years of the current CBA. All reports suggest the cap will go way up after that.

So, it’s all about how the deals get structured...but they can afford those 3 and still be fine.

Hill, Fuller, and Jones’ deals all expire after this season though.

suzzer99
04-23-2019, 10:30 PM
The trade does NOT impact KC’s ability to sign Jones, Hill or Fuller.

I can tweet that me my 270 lb weight does not impact my ability to have sex with Chrissy Teigen.

Doesn't make it true.

Ok well actually that is true because she aint having sex with me at any weight. But you get the idea.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-23-2019, 10:30 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All three</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1120898863240552449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

EVERYTHING IS GROOVY, MAN! NO PROBLEMS HERE AT ALL! JUST SPEND, BABY!

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-23-2019, 10:32 PM
I can tweet that me my 270 lb weight does not impact my ability to have sex with Chrissy Teigen.

Doesn't make it true.

Ok well actually that is true because she aint having sex with me at any weight. But you get the idea.

NUH-UH, DUDE! I SAID "GROOVY", BABY! FEEL MY HEAT!

FEEL,
FEEL,
FEEL,
FEEL MUH HEAT....

wazu
04-23-2019, 10:33 PM
2020 Franchise Tag

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-23-2019, 10:35 PM
Hill will probably play underneath the tag unless he gets a deal done next year. I expect Jones to be locked up before the season starts

YayMike
04-24-2019, 07:33 AM
I think once Jones is signed....we focus on Fuller.

Let Hill play on the tag and then let him be extended if he stays clean. I would not even approach him before then. Too Risky...

That being said...we need to draft at least one WR with our first 3 picks., unless we restructure Sammy, after next season we have NO WRs.

Dunerdr
04-24-2019, 07:37 AM
do you guys remember how many fucking super stars denver had for awhile? the more you look the more the cap is kind of bullshit. its so flexible and manueverable and we have mahomes so we should get by with cheating with a minimal slap now.

pugsnotdrugs19
04-24-2019, 07:53 AM
do you guys remember how many fucking super stars denver had for awhile? the more you look the more the cap is kind of bullshit. its so flexible and manueverable and we have mahomes so we should get by with cheating with a minimal slap now.

The new CBA is a big piece of this puzzle. KC’s ownership and FO may know things we don’t about where the cap could be headed.

oldman
04-24-2019, 08:01 AM
They must be expecting the new CBA to change things drastically.

I think you're right. The cap will go up each year, the percentage may change, and there were some rumblings about a QB cap. But as I see it, Clark got Ford's money, at least this year. And Clark won't get flattened by a WR on a sweep.

Reroka
04-24-2019, 08:16 AM

TBH, I feel as if Mahomes is the type of player who will take a discount in order to keep players around. Just a feeling.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-24-2019, 08:37 AM
TBH, I feel as if Mahomes is the type of player who will take a discount in order to keep players around. Just a feeling.

You are sadly mistaken my friend. He’s getting 40 mil a year. No discount

Eleazar
04-24-2019, 08:42 AM
He'll get the contract he deserves this time around. It's later in their careers that they make deals to help the team with the cap. He'd be a fool to give the team a discount now, the future is not guaranteed to you. When you're Tom Brady's age and will never think about money again then maybe.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-24-2019, 08:52 AM
I think you're right. The cap will go up each year, the percentage may change, and there were some rumblings about a QB cap. But as I see it, Clark got Ford's money, at least this year. And Clark won't get flattened by a WR on a sweep.

^this^ :clap:

...or lineup offsides

arrwheader
04-24-2019, 09:12 AM
I think they were going to extend him then this popped up and they went to the next priority until it resolves. They can still work out a deal regardless of what they have already done and will do with the other players. If hill wants to stay they will get a deal done.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Hill will get extended. Veach rewards players with contracts if they perform

wazu
04-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Hill will get extended. Veach rewards players with contracts if they perform

Yep, just ask Kareem Hunt.

tmax63
04-24-2019, 09:50 AM
They just ask that you don't lie to them. It's a big request, I know.

Eleazar
04-24-2019, 10:31 AM
Are people still butthurt about Kareem Hunt? He made his own bed. Keep your fists to yourself and you're still on the team gunning for a super bowl this year.

notorious
04-24-2019, 10:33 AM
He'll get the contract he deserves this time around. It's later in their careers that they make deals to help the team with the cap. He'd be a fool to give the team a discount now, the future is not guaranteed to you. When you're Tom Brady and get paid through avenues outside of the cap then maybe.

Fixed

ChiefBlueCFC
04-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Agree.

I think a lot of people don't realize that teams can manipulate the salary cap to fit large contracts in.

I think we all know Sammy isn't going to be here after year 3 so there is, what, $16M freed up right there and I believe the Chiefs as of right now have just under $40M in cap space for next season. Plus, the cap is going to increase each year as it has every year in the past.

If everything works out with Hill off the field they will find a way to extend the guys they need. Kelce is getting older and if he has a large cap number in the next few years we will likely see him leave as well. So, they will find a way to keep the guys they want to keep, IMO.

Simplicity
04-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Yep, just ask Kareem Hunt.

Yeah, he got rewarded for his performance in the hotel hallway.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Fixed

It also helps that Giselle is worth 400 million or more

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Yeah, he got rewarded for his performance in the hotel hallway.He did. He got money from KC (bonus) plus money from Cleveland.

Schnitzel
04-25-2019, 11:36 PM
Yes he did get Tyreek's money. Pretty obvious now.

chiefzilla1501
04-26-2019, 12:12 AM
If the Chiefs knew, they are putting a LOT of faith in spags to turn this defense around. The Chiefs need to get help on offense. The game has completely changed for them