PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What to expect from Spags D....

petegz28
04-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Slow day so WTF...

1. Less Sacks
2. More disruption in the backfield
3. More turnovers
4. More incomplete passes
5. More coverage sacks
6. More tackles for loss
7. Less conversions on 3rd & long
8. Less YAC

I see him putting an emphasis on disruption in the backfield with the down 4 allowing the LB's to cover in zone or play up on the run with less O-Lineman on them.

Sutton never really seemed to want to wreak havoc in the backfield outside of a pass rush. At least that's how it appeared. 4 guys going straight up the field should allow the LB's to stay relatively clean as far as fighting off blocks or otherwise we will have free DLineman in the backfield.

Making the RB change direction, the QB hold the ball a second longer and yes, actually tackling is what I am expecting. Also I don't expect 15 yard cushions from our secondary. Hopefully it will be more people being tackled at the point of the catch rather than 20 yards later.

ShowtimeSBMVP
04-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Not to be one of the worse D of all time

Halfcan
04-27-2019, 02:10 PM
Not give up 5.0 yards a carry to every back in the NFL.

Or 35 yard QB runs when it is 3rd and 34.

stumppy
04-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Less yardage
Less points
More pain dished out

FringeNC
04-27-2019, 02:13 PM
I'd like for the opposing team to occasionally have to punt in the playoffs.

Stormageddon
04-27-2019, 02:13 PM
Stop the other team from scoring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Easy 6
04-27-2019, 02:14 PM
I want top 15 at a minimum

New World Order
More cartwheels and backflips after defensive touchdowns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kVALEm3YL-U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcclone
I want to have confidence when it’s 3rd & 15 that we can get a stop.

Chris Meck
I expect a top ten RUN defense. With this line, I really do.
I don't expect a massive drop-off in sacks. I expect Jones/Clark to rack up near 30 between them.
I expect a much better tackling defense overall.
I expect less confusion on our part, and more on the opposing offense's part.
I expect more turnovers, more 3 and outs.
I expect a top 15 defense that wins a game or two for us instead of losing 5.

bricks
04-27-2019, 02:17 PM
I don't expect a massive drop-off in sacks. I expect Jones/Clark to rack up near 30 between them.

If they do all this, 14-2 minimum.

New World Order
04-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I fully expect them to be a top 15 defense.

It's going to take some time; they will need to gel and should be better later in the year than earlier.

jaa1025
04-27-2019, 02:23 PM
I expect it to take some time but by the end of the year I expect they will have a top 10 defense.

Megatron96
04-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Better run defense, hopefully translating into more 3rd and longs.

If that happens, and Saunders can consistently get that lightning fast penetration, a lot more 3-and-outs, if not outright strip sacks/turn overs.

Significantly better play from our safeties.

TinyEvel
04-27-2019, 02:36 PM
If we can get DBs who either don't give 5 yards cushion or don't get PI for just hanging all over the WR and not turning their head, I'll be happy.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-27-2019, 02:37 PM

chinaski
04-27-2019, 02:37 PM
He is going coach the players and introduce schemes to prevent our opponents from scoring.

Easy 6
04-27-2019, 02:47 PM
He is going coach the players and introduce schemes to prevent our opponents from scoring.

Concise, direct, and spot on...

Aspengc8
04-27-2019, 02:52 PM
Slow day so WTF...

1. Less Sacks
2. More disruption in the backfield
3. More turnovers
4. More incomplete passes
5. More coverage sacks
6. More tackles for loss
7. Less conversions on 3rd & long
8. Less YAC

I see him putting an emphasis on disruption in the backfield with the down 4 allowing the LB's to cover in zone or play up on the run with less O-Lineman on them.

Sutton never really seemed to want to wreak havoc in the backfield outside of a pass rush. At least that's how it appeared. 4 guys going straight up the field should allow the LB's to stay relatively clean as far as fighting off blocks or otherwise we will have free DLineman in the backfield.

Making the RB change direction, the QB hold the ball a second longer and yes, actually tackling is what I am expecting. Also I don't expect 15 yard cushions from our secondary. Hopefully it will be more people being tackled at the point of the catch rather than 20 yards later.

Its still a 1 gap system like sutton was running, the linebackers are going to have to fight off blocks. Still rushing 4 mostly how they did before, just with better run defenders. spags loves fire zone concepts, he will get pressure. The faster the front 4 shed, the better they require a doubleteam at point of attack which will free up a backer.

oldman
04-27-2019, 03:23 PM
If this turns out to be a top 15 D, do we really need to put 35+ points on the board every game to win? I think the answer is no, which then lessens the loss of Hill. More D = more better.

scho63
04-27-2019, 03:27 PM
No more consecutive 3rd and 10 conversions in the playoffs to lose

O.city
04-27-2019, 04:29 PM
Shit

notorious
04-27-2019, 04:33 PM
I want to see ferocious aggression.

O.city
04-27-2019, 04:36 PM
Prepare for 8 wins

Yippeeeee

Bump
04-27-2019, 04:38 PM
I'm going in with high expectations. The LB core is aids tho.

RealSNR
04-27-2019, 05:55 PM
I'm going in with high expectations. The LB core is aids tho.

Definitely a huge worry.

This defensive line is fuck nasty, but we're still lacking the LBs to really stop the run.

I'm predicting we're still going to struggle at stopping the run. It will be improved because I think so many of those awful 5-8 yard runs that were basically the norm for teams will become much shorter 2-4 yard gains. But we're still gonna give up plenty of long runs.

We're also really depending on Charvarious Ward not being another Marcus Cooper flash in the pan for a couple games player. If we want to improve at all, we really really really need him to not only just be a starter, but be a pretty decent starter.

TwistedChief
04-27-2019, 06:06 PM
Tackling people with the ball.

So many instances last year where we failed to do that very basic thing. I think our litmus test for who and what Spags is will be how Hitchens integrates.

Skyy God
04-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Prepare for 8 wins

Yippeeeee

We’re going 8-8?

I bet you’re fun at parties.

scho63
04-28-2019, 09:54 AM
We’re going 8-8?

I bet you’re fun at parties.

Damn, you're an anti-Dentite! :D

kccrow
04-28-2019, 10:15 AM
More zone looks in coverage
- cover 3 from 2-high and single-high safety alignments
- cover 2 from 2-high

Using versatility to mask intentions... Thornhill and Mathieu you can run cover 0 from any 2-high look without trailing the receiver

Alot more DB blitzes

More press-man with front 7 blitzes and stunts on 3rd down

Much less off-man coverage

Much more aggressive 1-gap penetration along the d-line rather than 2-gap read and react

Just, overall, much more aggressive, in your face style of defense that pressures the offense into making mistakes instead of sitting back and reacting.

WhiteWhale
04-28-2019, 10:29 AM
More zone looks in coverage
- cover 3 from 2-high and single-high safety alignments
- cover 2 from 2-high

Using versatility to mask intentions... Thornhill and Mathieu you can run cover 0 from any 2-high look without trailing the receiver

Alot more DB blitzes

More press-man with front 7 blitzes and stunts on 3rd down

Much less off-man coverage

Much more aggressive 1-gap penetration along the d-line rather than 2-gap read and react

Just, overall, much more aggressive, in your face style of defense that pressures the offense into making mistakes instead of sitting back and reacting.

This is optimistic considering Spags hasn't had any real sustained success in over a decade.

He's gotten a lot of mileage out of that Superbowl win. People tend to forget he's had fewer top 10 defenses and more bottom 3 defenses than Sutton has.

Proof will be in the pudding, but I'm not sold he's an upgrade as a DC. That's not a defense of Sutton. I wanted him fired. I just didn't want to hire a guy I've considered over-rated for 10 years.

I figure with new personnel he'll have a good season in 2019. KC will lose 1 or 2 top assistants who would probably do the job better than him. Then, like usual, teams will figure him out and start toasting his schemes.

kccrow
04-28-2019, 10:36 AM
This is optimistic considering Spags hasn't had any real sustained success in over a decade.

He's gotten a lot of mileage out of that Superbowl win. People tend to forget he's had fewer top 10 defenses and more bottom 3 defenses than Sutton has.

Proof will be in the pudding, but I'm not sold he's an upgrade as a DC. That's not a defense of Sutton. I wanted him fired. I just didn't want to hire a guy I've considered over-rated for 10 years.

Why is it optimistic? I didn't say anything about how good it would make KC's defense. I stated schematic differences. Sutton, for the most part, ran a generic 2-gap, read and react, 3-4 with off-man coverage and a single high safety. Spags scheme is much more aggressive, single gap 4-3 and uses alot more zone concepts. Whether or not the defense is going to be worth a fuck is largely yet to be determined. There does seem to be a better talent fit to run Spags' 4-3 than there was to run Sutton's 3-4. I never said shit about him being a better DC or this defense being better. He has to prove that to me.

staylor26
04-28-2019, 10:43 AM

I figure with new personnel he'll have a good season in 2019. KC will lose 1 or 2 top assistants who would probably do the job better than him. Then, like usual, teams will figure him out and start toasting his schemes.

Spags, like every other good DC, needs talent to succeed. When he’d had talent, he’s been successful, and when he hasn’t had it he has not.

After this offseason, I have the confidence to say he will have the talent to succeed.

I also have no doubt that this defensive staff is a significant improvement and anybody who thinks otherwise doesn’t have a clue IMO.

58-4ever
04-28-2019, 10:48 AM
without Reek, this needs to be a balanced team. With a much bigger defensive front, we will need a lot less running yards and YPC and more interceptions.

WhiteWhale
04-28-2019, 10:49 AM
Spags, like every other good DC, needs talent to succeed. When he’d had talent, he’s been successful, and she he hasn’t had it he has not.

After this offseason, I have the confidence to say he will have the talent to succeed.

I also have no doubt that this defensive staff is a significant improvement and anybody who thinks otherwise doesn’t have a clue IMO.

The giants had talent. He finished 32nd in 2015, 10th in 2016, 31st in 2017 and 31st in 2018. At the very least they were too talented to finish last or 2nd to last 3 of the past 4 seasons. It's not like they were super talented in that ONE year and just awful before and after. The passing D in particular is ALWAYS bad with his defenses.

Yes, the staff is an improvement. Huge. I'm going to be annoyed when smart teams poach our talented assistants who will undoubtedly do the job better than Spags.

Nobody is going to convince me otherwise. Only Spags can do that with some consistent performances. One good season next year won't do it and 2008 was a long time ago.

His resume, outside of a superbowl win (which Greg Robinson also had) isn't impressive AT ALL.

staylor26
04-28-2019, 10:53 AM
The giants had talent. He finished 32nd in 2015, 10th in 2016, 31st in 2017 and 31st in 2018. At the very least they were too talented to finish last or 2nd to last 3 of the past 4 seasons.

Yes, the staff is an improvement. Huge. I'm going to be annoyed when smart teams poach our talented assistants who will undoubtedly do the job better than Spags.

Nobody is going to convince me otherwise. Only Spags can do that with some consistent performances. One good season next year won't do it.

Umm he wasn’t their DC in 2018.

The entire team was a disaster in 2017, so that’s tough to put it on him. They quit on their HC.

The truth is, he’s been in some terrible situations and had a year to reflect and learn. He clearly used it wisely. Now he’s in one of the best situations imaginable with a great staff around him and a GM with an eye for talent.

TribalElder
04-28-2019, 10:54 AM
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/46358331/my-prediction-pain.jpg

WhiteWhale
04-28-2019, 10:58 AM

The entire team was a disaster in 2017, so that’s tough to put it on him. They quit on their HC.

The truth is, he’s been in some terrible situations and had a year to reflect and learn. He clearly used it wisely. Now he’s in one of the best situations imaginable with a great staff around him and a GM with an eye for talent.

Good. I think he's over-rated. You think he's been held back by misfortune.

No point arguing since we're not going to agree. As I said, the proof will be in the pudding. At the very least the personnel make-over and new scheme will give KC a different look that teams will need time to catch up with. I think they'll have some success next year.

I still think if David Tyree doesn't make that catch nobody gives a **** about Steve Spagnuolo.

Bowser
04-28-2019, 11:06 AM
He had some serious pass rushers up front in the Giant's Super Bowl run. We don't have that on paper here for him, but I feel like our talent was obviously upgraded this offseason so we'll see what he can do with some young and hungry players looking to shake off the mantra of being a shit defense the last few years (and I feel we had talent and vastly underachieved under Sutton and his "we don't adjust to offenses, they adjust to us" crap).

I would love to say I expect a ton more 3-4-5 and outs from this defense, and I hope that happens, but I expect to see us in nickel and dime a ton playing in shootouts, especially if Mahomes takes the next step in his second year and the offense elevates with him.

oldman
04-28-2019, 02:00 PM
The major flaw with Sutton is that he seemed incapable of adjusting, both in-game and with personnel. We all saw that lack if adjustment in the LAC game and it was in 3D IMAX in the AFCCG. He stubbornly played sub-par guys ahead of younger, more talented players. I suspect Spags will be a little more open to change.

RunKC
04-28-2019, 02:08 PM
I expect a good run defense, more turnovers and more variety pass rush.

We won’t lead the league in sacks, but we will have more players capable of rushing instead of relying on 3 players like last year.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Frank Clark called Spags a legend!

Best22
04-28-2019, 02:13 PM
I expect a good run defense, more turnovers and more variety pass rush.

We won’t lead the league in sacks, but we will have more players capable of rushing instead of relying on 3 players like last year.

We could lead the league in sacks in 2019

No one here ever expected we’d have an elite pass rush in 2018. There’s always surprises

Best22
04-28-2019, 02:14 PM

Agree. I accidentally downvoted this post

tmax63
04-28-2019, 02:17 PM
With Daly running a DLine with several nice new toys, it will make an improved secondary better yet. LBs haven't really changed.

honey badger > last 2 years Berry
Thornhill > Sorenson/Lucas
Breeland > Murray