PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Adding a Retread WR?

Couch-Potato
04-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Tyreek might be done, what are our thoughts on the remaining available retread WRs? Per ESPN, below are the best available:

Kelvin Benjamin
Dez Bryant
Michael Crabtree
Michael Floyd
Pierre Garcon
Justin Hunter
Dontrelle Inman
Jermaine Kearse
Rishard Matthews
Aldrick Robinson
De'Anthony Thomas
Deonte Thompson
Mike Wallace

I'm thinking one of these guys could help.

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Help what? We're fine at WR. Do a list for TE maybe.

oldman
04-28-2019, 09:38 AM
Nope, we good, at least if those are the only options.

Couch-Potato
04-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Can KB learn to play TE better than Harris?

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Probably not. KB drops passes and can't block. I'm not sure why he's even on the team.

Tight End will get addressed soon enough, I think. It's not like there isn't time to find a backup blocking tight end who can catch a pass here and there.

tmax63
04-28-2019, 09:43 AM
Knowing the playbook and PMII is a big up for the WRs that KC already has. They are also still young enough to be potentially improving. Can't say that about many on the list.

TEX
04-28-2019, 09:43 AM
The guy Im thinking of is not a retread. I'd check with Philly about Nelson Agholor. He wanted out before the draft and there were indications that Philly was open to it for the right price. Since the draft, and their acquisition of a WR, their GM gave Agholer the dreaded vote of confidence.

Easy 6
04-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Probably not. KB drops passes and can't block. I'm not sure why he's even on the team.

Tight End will get addressed soon enough, I think. It's not like there isn't time to find a backup blocking tight end who can catch a pass here and there.

Yeah we’ll have to see how camp shakes out, but TE #2 might already be on the rostrt

Couch-Potato
04-28-2019, 09:45 AM
The guy Im thinking of is not a retread. I'd check with Philly about Nelson Agholer. He wanted out before the draft and there were indications that Philly was open to it for the right price. Since the draft, and their acquisition of a WR, their GM gave Agholer the dreaded vote of confidence.

Someone else I thought I'd add to the list.

In58men
04-28-2019, 09:46 AM
I’ll take a flyer on Nelson Agholor.

Simply Red
04-28-2019, 09:48 AM
The guy Im thinking of is not a retread. I'd check with Philly about Nelson Agholor. He wanted out before the draft and there were indications that Philly was open to it for the right price. Since the draft, and their acquisition of a WR, their GM gave Agholer the dreaded vote of confidence.

NSFW************
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nIb7_HGyubA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skyy God
04-28-2019, 09:51 AM

Not at $9M next year.

The list is exactly Crabtree right now. The rest are garbage or brokedicks.

Couch-Potato
04-28-2019, 09:53 AM
At some point, we may have to consider the inevitable that Hill isn't coming back. After Sammy Watkins, who didn't exactly shine last year and rarely plays an entire season, we may have only D Robinson and a Rookie as our WR core.

Some of the guys on that list have qualities that would bring us some WR depth. Wallace is still a pretty legit WR and known deep threat, Crabtree is a quality target and several of those names might come into camp with a chip on their shoulder ready to prove something.

TEX
04-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Not at $9M next year.

I didn't realize that was his salary. I just saw that it is and that Philly picked up his 5th year option. You're right, he's not worth $9Mil.

Couch-Potato
04-28-2019, 09:55 AM
I didn't realize that was his salary. I just saw that it is and that Philly picked up his 5th year option. You're right, he's not worth $9Mil.

Agreed.

kccrow
04-28-2019, 09:57 AM
I'd add Mike Wallace at no more than $2 million.

Other than that, nah.

I really like some of the youth KC has now with Pringle and Hardman. I think Cody Thompson and Jamal Custis will battle it out for a spot. Custis really came on in 2018 and he makes some really great catches on down the sidelines. Could be a nice possession guy to have.

TwistedChief
04-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Not at $9M next year.

+1 for Crabtree. He made a lot of big catches against us in the past. Would love to have him as a third down option.

Mecca
04-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Benjamin isn't on the roster....

NIUhuskies
04-28-2019, 10:05 AM
We’re Good. Felton Davis, the UDFA our of Michigan State, we just signed would have been picked in the top 3 rounds if he doesn’t tear his Achilles this past October. If he fully recovers, we got a major steal and will be paying pennies for him. We have enough talent at that position and with Mahomes where we don’t need a retread that is going to waste salary cap dollars

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 10:06 AM
EDP perfectly encapsulated why I don't want Agolor. If any of you have ever had him on your fantasy team you'd hate him too. No thanks.

Also no thanks on Crabtree, he's a drama bomb the Chiefs don't need. Last thing I want is to see him running around freaking out after another chain is snatched off his neck.

Mecca
04-28-2019, 10:11 AM
We’re Good. Felton Davis, the UDFA our of Michigan State, we just signed would have been picked in the top 3 rounds if he doesn’t tear his Achilles this past October. If he fully recovers, we got a major steal and will be paying pennies for him. We have enough talent at that position and with Mahomes where we don’t need a retread that is going to waste salary cap dollars

The issue is we have 2 WR's on this team worth a shit...rookies rarely produce especially with a playbook this book.

CasselGotPeedOn
04-28-2019, 10:12 AM
Watkins
Robinson
Hardman
Pringle

I'm not sure how I feel about that group

Hoover
04-28-2019, 10:14 AM
I’d bring Garçon in one a cheap 1 year deal

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
04-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Watkins
Robinson
Hardman
Pringle

Dieter will be here just cuz he’s best friends with Mahomes. Thompson will make this team and maybe Custis. Felton Davis will be on the IR. We good at WR. Veach better have a plan for TE

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Watkins
Robinson
Hardman
Pringle

Coates
Kemp
Grayson

And then

Kelce
Damien Williams
Carlos Hyde
Darwin Thompson

There are a ton of hands to catch balls. I'm not worried about it enough to bring in randos. I'd much rather address corner and linebacker.

This team can win the SB as is, though.

Naptown Chief
04-28-2019, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't mind having Crabtree in the event we play LAR, or his pal Talib, in the Superbowl...

Naptown Chief
04-28-2019, 10:43 AM
+1 for Crabtree. He made a lot of big catches against us in the past. Would love to have him as a third down option.

But yes, I agree. The guy can still play and what harm is there in having solid, mature ROFL, depth :)

Pitt Gorilla
04-28-2019, 10:43 AM
No thanks.

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 10:47 AM
I doubt the Rams make the Superbowl again.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2019, 12:43 PM
I'd rather add a retread PP...I mean CB.

Bowser
04-28-2019, 12:47 PM

QFT

I have a feeling Byron Pringle might do a little something for us, especially with the Tyreek sized hole we're likely facing at the position. Go look for a tight end before you look for a receiver. I'm fine with Watkins and Robinson as the starters....we still have Mahomes.

tyreekthefreak
04-28-2019, 01:01 PM
It shouldn't take much to replace Harris!

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2019, 01:06 PM
QFT

I have a feeling Byron Pringle might do a little something for us, especially with the Tyreek sized hole we're likely facing at the position. Go look for a tight end before you look for a receiver. I'm fine with Watkins and Robinson as the starters....we still have Mahomes.

I'm down with that too.

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 01:15 PM
I don't know too much about Pringle but I do know people loved his game.

I have this feeling about Robinson, too. He clearly has a connection with Mahomes and has since day 1.

Bowser
04-28-2019, 01:20 PM

I have this feeling about Robinson, too. He clearly has a connection with Mahomes and has since day 1.

Yeah, agreed. Robinson stepped up in some big moments last season. He's earned a look opposite Watkins, imo.

And look, we still have Kelce, too. Add in Hardman and Darwin Thompson? Shit, let Marcus Kemp start for all that it matters at that point.

Frosty
04-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Some of the UDFA WRs look promising but it's hard to believe Reid will go into the season with only two experienced receivers.

Couch-Potato
04-28-2019, 02:53 PM
I like Wallace or Crabtree, I'd consider inviting Dez to camp.

Kiimo
04-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Dez is doneso

staylor26
04-28-2019, 03:10 PM

I almost started a thread about this earlier.

His chemistry with Pat is real and it being a contract year, I fully expect him to exceed expectations.

New World Order
04-28-2019, 03:14 PM
I’d bring Garçon in one a cheap 1 year deal

Yeah, Garcon can still produce

Megatron96
04-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Dez Bryant can't get separation anymore and he doesn't run good routes. Only route he can run is a deep fade/go. Crabtree, drama aside, is a much more well-rounded WR.

BossChief
04-28-2019, 03:40 PM
I won’t be surprised when they bring DAT back.

He knows the playbook and can play right away, if needed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2019, 03:52 PM
I won’t be surprised when they bring DAT back.

He knows the playbook and can play right away, if needed.

I'd rather pick up a pure receiver instead. I believe we have the gadget department covered.

JakeF
04-28-2019, 04:09 PM
Hill might be in jail
Watkins can't stay healthy
Robinson and Coates each have 500 total career yards as backups
Rookies and Jags

The world isn't ending but we are not fine. More of the team being put on the shoulders of Mahomes. We really screwed up by not signing Golden Tate this offseason.

Best22
04-28-2019, 04:11 PM
Hill might be in jail
Rookies and Jags

The world isn't ending but we are not fine. More of the team being put on the shoulders of Mahomes. We really screwed up by not signing Golden Tate this offseason.

Watkins
Crabtree
Robinson
Hardman/Dieter/Pringle

That’s a solid core, and even better if you include Kelce

Bowser
04-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Hill might be in jail
Rookies and Jags

Even the great receivers were nobodies once, and even they didn't have Mahomes as their Qube.

keg in kc
04-28-2019, 04:22 PM
There isn't a good free agent answer, and no one player is going to replace Hill's production anyway. We just have to hope one of the JAG's like Robinson or Dieter or Kemp can do more than it looks like they can, or that Hardman or one of the practice squadders magically turns into something crazy fast.

Reek really ****ed us in terms of leaving zero time to try and replace him. It is what it is.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2019, 04:27 PM
There isn't a good free agent answer, and no one player is going to replace Hill's production anyway. We just have to hope one of the JAG's like Robinson or Dieter or Kemp can do more than it looks like they can, or that Hardman or one of the practice squadders magically turns into something crazy fast.

Reek really ****ed us in terms of leaving zero time to try and replace him. It is what it is.

We've had since March 15th to start making the contingency plan.

Danguardace
04-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Trade for Larry Fitz

Bump
04-28-2019, 04:29 PM
The only guy I'd even consider is Pierre Garcon, he's pretty old but he's always been pretty productive.

Bowser
04-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Trade for Larry Fitz

He's a true pro and would give all he had, but this idea is likely 5 years too late.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2019, 04:34 PM
He's a true pro and would give all he had, but this idea is likely 5 years too late.

The motor ain't what it used to be, but those hands are still solid.

keg in kc
04-28-2019, 04:35 PM
We've had since March 15th to start making the contingency plan.I think we were doing that in the draft this year already. Just the feeling I had.

There was never going to be a free agency contingency for replacing him, in any case. Maybe a trade, but I don't really see it.

He's a 25 year old with, what, 2 years left on his contract. Bit unfair to blame them for not having his replacement ready this off-season. Nobody saw this shit coming. He'd looked like a model citizen for 3 years.

MightyMouse
04-28-2019, 04:35 PM
Unless one of the UDFA pans out, the Chiefs will look foolish to not have added Crabtree. I’d be okay with Garçon as well. Watkins is gonna miss time. What if he isn’t available in the playoffs? Some of you actually look at the depth and think we are fine?

JakeF
04-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Watkins
Crabtree
Robinson
Hardman/Dieter/Pringle

That’s a solid core, and even better if you include Kelce
Yes, if everyone stays healthy and one of our young players really step up.

When we lost Watkins last year our offense wasn't the same. When we went without Hunt and Watkins we struggled to compensate for our shitty defense.

There's a reason why people talk about getting a "Big 3" for their offense. We have Kelce but having your 2nd impact guy injury prone is not good.

Who is going to consistently stretch defenses deep without Hill? Pringle better turn into Hill part 2.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-28-2019, 05:08 PM
Who is going to consistently stretch defenses deep without Hill?

The guy we just drafted for that express purpose?

Chiefshrink
04-28-2019, 07:34 PM
The issue is we have 2 WR's on this team worth a shit...rookies rarely produce especially with a playbook this book.

My guess also is that "the word" is out on most of these FA's aside from their diva personalities that they also don't like being students of the game and why they are still on the market. Teams don't like their lack of work ethic either.

JohnnyHammersticks
04-28-2019, 07:52 PM
Dontrelle Inman was solid down the stretch for the Colts. Really solid. You could do a lot worse than having him in your WR rotation.

Couch-Potato
05-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Crabtree played for $4.6m and had 600+ yards

Wallace signed w/Eagles for $1m last year and had 700+ yards the year before

Either would be a quality bang for buck addition to round out the WR core.

Hammock Parties
05-01-2019, 06:27 AM
We're gonna be fine, guys.

Remember what Mahomes did in his first preseason...he's going to make some nobody look awesome.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-01-2019, 06:40 AM
We're gonna be fine, guys.

Remember what Mahomes did in his first preseason...he's going to make some nobody look awesome.

"REMEMBER ALBERT WILSON"!

-CP's new headline banner for all Mahomes threads.

RaidersOftheCellar
05-01-2019, 07:53 AM
I honestly think Hardman will fill the void nicely. He can’t do all the things Tyreek can do, but with Pat throwing him the ball, he’ll be good. He can flat out blow by people. His best 40 time is about the same as Hill’s.

Let’s not forget that there was a point last year when Hunt and Watkins were both out. The offense remained strong. This time Andy has months to prepare for life without Hill.

But life WITH Hill/Watkins/Hardman/Kelce would be a thing to behold.

Couch-Potato
05-02-2019, 06:30 AM
Josh Doctson & Laquan Treadwill are being

Couch-Potato
05-02-2019, 06:34 AM
Josh Doctson & Laquan Treadwill are being let go

chiefzilla1501
05-02-2019, 06:39 AM
"REMEMBER ALBERT WILSON"!

-CP's new headline banner for all Mahomes threads.

To that point, this is why I'm surprised people think we're fine at wr. I don't love our role players. We never truly replaced Albert wilson and dat didn't do the job. We've got receivers who can stretch the field but no great underneath options. Rodgers had Cobb, Warner had proehl and Az hakim. We could use one of those guys. Maybe tavon austin gets cut in the preseason.

chiefzilla1501
05-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Meh, Inman and Mike Wallace are both one trick ponies. Deep route speed guys much like Hardman will be. Dotson has never been anymore than a jump ball receiver. Maybe interesting for red zone situations but otherwise pretty worthless.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-02-2019, 06:49 AM
To that point, this is why I'm surprised people think we're fine at wr. I don't love our role players. We never truly replaced Albert wilson and dat didn't do the job. We've got receivers who can stretch the field but no great underneath options. Rodgers had Cobb, Warner had proehl and Az hakim. We could use one of those guys. Maybe tavon austin gets cut in the preseason.

Meh. The point of my statement, is to illustrate that Pat Mahomes can take a wackadoo and turn him into a doodly-ha.
Know what I mean?

Skyy God
05-02-2019, 06:49 AM

Tavon Austin averages 215 receiving yards per season.

He’s been stealing money every year he’s been in the league.

chiefzilla1501
05-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Tavon Austin averages 215 receiving yards per season.

He’s been stealing money every year he’s been in the league.

Albert wilson didn't get a whole lot of yards either. He can play a DAT role but a million times better. We need role receivers more than we need a 1000 yard WR (assuming we're not in trouble with tyreek)

Brett Reach
05-02-2019, 08:59 AM
we could get Laquon Treadwell. He even has tread in his name. hope there is still some tread on them tires

Aspengc8
05-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Meh, Inman and Mike Wallace are both one trick ponies. Deep route speed guys much like Hardman will be. Dotson has never been anymore than a jump ball receiver. Maybe interesting for red zone situations but otherwise pretty worthless.

Have you seen Hardman in the screen & underneath game? I think they will be fine there, just need someone to step up for the #3 spot. Chiefs run mostly 311 personnel even in spread.

O.city
05-02-2019, 09:56 AM
Have you seen Hardman in the screen & underneath game? I think they will be fine there, just need someone to step up for the #3 spot. Chiefs run mostly 311 personnel even in spread.

If this Tyreek HIll thing works out where he plays this year, what do you do ?

MIAdragon
05-02-2019, 10:00 AM
If this Tyreek HIll thing works out where he plays this year, what do you do ?

Rape.

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2019, 10:34 AM

He looked great in college, like Conley. We’ll see if he can catch on more quickly.

Aspengc8
05-02-2019, 10:49 AM
He looked great in college, like Conley. We’ll see if he can catch on more quickly.

Yeah if Tyreek plays, it will be interesting to see Hill, Watkins (healthy) and Hardman all on the field together with Kelce.

chiefzilla1501
05-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Possibly on the jet sweeps and YAC which were two pieces we may have dialed back a bit last year. I think we missed Albert wilson more than we realize. I don't know. It just doesn't feel the same as a gadget guy (though I could see Hardman working there...) and definitely not like a Randall Cobb or Cole Beasley. We have so many speed guys, it would be great to have guys who are terrific in the short field rather than forcing everything to kelce and rb screens.

Aspengc8
05-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Possibly on the jet sweeps and YAC which were two pieces we may have dialed back a bit last year. I think we missed Albert wilson more than we realize. I don't know. It just doesn't feel the same as a gadget guy (though I could see Hardman working there...) and definitely not like a Randall Cobb or Cole Beasley. We have so many speed guys, it would be great to have guys who are terrific in the short field rather than forcing everything to kelce and rb screens.

Andy runs the spread and the majority of those concepts require speed all over to take advantage of any possible mismatches. Hardman and Watkins both run underneath routes, Tyreek did as well. I think you will see Darwin Thompson used a lot as a wildcard as well. Kid can catch and would fill in for the jet sweep series well (if Tyreek is absent).

chiefzilla1501
05-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Andy runs the spread and the majority of those concepts require speed all over to take advantage of any possible mismatches. Hardman and Watkins both run underneath routes, Tyreek did as well. I think you will see Darwin Thompson used a lot as a wildcard as well. Kid can catch and would fill in for the jet sweep series well (if Tyreek is absent).

Yeah, I think the Chiefs need their RBs to split to different spots. Kareem was almost never split wide. Damien was supposed to offer that versatility but I don't think it was used much. Hopefully Darwin Thompson helps. James Williams could be a huge help on third downs.

It would still be nice to see a solid scrapper with great hands in subpackages like Cobb or Beasley. Conley was supposed to be that guy but was really underwhelming.

Chargem
05-02-2019, 11:45 AM
I think Darwin Thompson and James Williams give a lot of interesting 2RB sets that would be fun for Andy to work with.

If we did trade for Rudolph there's some insane double TE double running back sets that I would love to see, but we're probably just running garbage out there at TE2 so probably won't happen.