PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto I Want a New Chain Saw!

gblowfish
05-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Hey guys: Had a great big limb fall in my backyard a couple nights ago during one of the storms. Think the tree got hit by lightning. Anyway, I have a really old 16" gas 2-stroke Craftsman chain saw that's seen better days. Got it out tonight, it ran for about three minutes then conked out. Think the carb is dirty. I have arthritis in my shoulders, so pulling and pulling on a rope is real bad for me. Looking at lithium battery chain saws. Looked at Oregon, DeWalt and the Lowe's house brand. Any advice from current owners? Anything you really like or don't like about them?

GloryDayz
05-02-2019, 07:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/53gVyQa-IGA?start=120" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

$88 The extension, the main reason I bought one, was better than I ever imagined..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ESAG9X4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buehler445
05-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Hey guys: Had a great big limb fall in my backyard a couple nights ago during one of the storms. Think the tree got hit by lightning. Anyway, I have a really old 16" gas 2-stroke Craftsman chain saw that's seen better days. Got it out tonight, it ran for about three minutes then conked out. Think the carb is dirty. I have arthritis in my shoulders, so pulling and pulling on a rope is real bad for me. Looking at lithium battery chain saws. Looked at Oregon, DeWalt and the Lowe's house brand. Any advice from current owners? Anything you really like or don't like about them?

If your shoulders are junk then I’d buy a 110V one and run an extension cord. That will be the lightest unit and the least torque on your shoulders. The cord will suck but if you don’t use it often you’ll be money ahead as soon as the batteries shoot shit.

srvy
05-02-2019, 07:59 PM
Some of the worst accidents happen with those electric and lithium battery saws. They dont have the clutch (chain brake) that bogs down like a gas chainsaw. The chain with gas saws get caught in clothing and clutch shuts down before to much damage is down normally. The electric rip right on through jeans until you let off. Talked with Asplundh Tree crew they said they wont use them because they will nip you bad right through safety chaps.

Probably easy fix at a lawn mower shop. You can get a pretty good Kobalt cheap or poulan. But for the money id spring for a Echo they are just as good as a Husky or Stihl at a cheaper price. Lowes carries them but can be had cheaper at ebay or Forestry Supply online. Use the pre mixed premium fuels they sell right next to saws or non ethanol gas if you can find it. The 10 percent ethanol gas kills lawn equipment.

Buehler445
05-02-2019, 08:01 PM
PSA

A good sharp chain will make a junk ass chainsaw a cutting son of a bitch. Same with a hotrod brand new chainsaw. If the chain is junk it won’t cut anything.

Buehler445
05-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Some of the worst accidents happen with those electric and lithium battery saws. They dont have the clutch that bogs down like a gas chainsaw. The chain with gas saws get caught in clothing and clutch shuts down before to much damage is down normally. The electric rip right on through jeans until you let off. Talked with Asplundh Tree crew they said they wont use them because they will nip you bad right through safety chaps.

Probably easy fix at a lawn mower shop. You can get a pretty good Kobalt cheap or poulan. But for the money id spring for a Echo they are just as good as a Husky or Stihl at a cheaper price. Lowes carries them but can be had cheaper at ebay or Forestry Supply online. Use the pre mixed premium fuels they sell right next to saws or non ethanol gas if you can find it. The 10 percent ethanol gas kills lawn equipment.
Good call on premixed gas/oil. It’s expensive but I give 0 fucks. Shit starts on the first pull and burns hotter because the ratio is right

threebag
05-02-2019, 08:07 PM
I only use Stihl saws. Never a problem

TribalElder
05-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Echo

FlaChief58
05-02-2019, 08:23 PM
For as little as I use mine, I have a poulan. I put a good fuel stabilizer in the gas when I put it away. I've had it 6 years with no problems except having to replace the chain after letting a coworker use it.

srvy
05-02-2019, 10:04 PM
I have watched tree fallers clean and grub easements for electric transmission lines and gas lines its impressive. They have these tree eater attachments on a track hoe that literally chew a tree down to ground level leaving nothing but sawdust. I always take note of the chain saws (Echo) and how accurately they can drop where they want.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GloriousVeneratedBlackcrappie-size_restricted.gif

Buehler445
05-02-2019, 10:15 PM
I have watched tree fallers clean and grub easements for electric transmission lines and gas lines its impressive. They have these tree eater attachments on a track hoe that literally chew a tree down to ground level leaving nothing but sawdust. I always take note of the chain saws (Echo) and how accurately they can drop where they want.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GloriousVeneratedBlackcrappie-size_restricted.gif

Dads got a fairly small echo. I think 14 inch bar. If no one fucks up the chain, it is a hell of a machine.

neech
05-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Stihl had a sale on chainsaws a couple weeks ago they had ads on tv all over the place.

LiveSteam
05-02-2019, 10:48 PM
No! You'll saw your eye out with it.

alanm
05-03-2019, 12:27 AM
No! You'll saw your eye out with it.ROFLROFL

WV
05-03-2019, 05:50 AM
The 10 percent ethanol gas kills lawn equipment.

This x1000. I only run ethanol free gas in all my small engines and try to in my 2002 Toyota truck.

ChiefGator
05-03-2019, 06:00 AM
I have a Stihl MS 261 C-M with an 18" bar. I think the C-M makes it easier to start? There is some designation that is easier start now.. which I also have on my Stihl hedge trimmer.

The Stihl starts up with one fairly easy pull.

Maybe go take a look at a Stihl somewhere that you can try to start it? Like an Ag Pro shop or something.

Hoopsdoc
05-03-2019, 06:07 AM
My dad always preferred Echo. I’m a Stihl guy myself. Can’t go wrong either way, really.

GloryDayz
05-03-2019, 06:15 AM
I still think you should go electric. I have both, and even though the one I have is corded, I use it almost exclusively "around the yard" anymore. And the extension arm is the cat's ass...

notorious
05-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Jeez, I didn’t know electric saws were dangerous. I picked up a Dewalt 12” 20 volt for 115 and it has cleaned up our farm which has been something neglected for 5 years.

Quiet, easy to handle with one hand, no vibration. Even my wife uses it.

ChiefGator
05-03-2019, 06:27 AM
Oh, yeah I also have a 12" DeWalt 20V chainsaw.. thing has taken a lot of abuse and keeps kicking. It really does work well for limbs up to 4", but after that it slows down a bit.

Feels like I go through (Oregon) chains pretty quick on it, but they are cheap.

It is nice to just grab it and hit the button and go.

notorious
05-03-2019, 06:38 AM
Oh, yeah I also have a 12" DeWalt 20V chainsaw.. thing has taken a lot of abuse and keeps kicking. It really does work well for limbs up to 4", but after that it slows down a bit.

I just bought 4 of the Oregon chains for 55 on ebay.

We cut some 10” tree down chopped for firewood. I have a bunch of 4ah batteries so I never run out of juice.

I have to remind myself to be careful. It’s so soft-tempered that it’s easy to forget it a fucking saw.

srvy
05-03-2019, 06:41 AM
Jeez, I didn’t know electric saws were dangerous. I picked up a Dewalt 12” 20 volt for 115 and it has cleaned up our farm which has been something neglected for 5 years.

They all are dangerous even more so to folks that use maybe once a year if at all. The electric is only more because a lil nip or bite can eat right through heavy clothing or safety chaps to cut deep. With any chainsaw a kickback into your face is going to mess ya up electric or gas. After storms I see people straddle timber bending over it or in the middle of downed branches cutting at the trunk. I cringe when I see it, delimb and clean around the big stuff then tackle it. I see all the time home owners owners on extension ladders supported by the limb they are cutting. They cut limb past the the ladder but if it hangs in another limp and sucks back at you it will knock you right off ladder lol.

Some things are best left to a professional on bigger jobs.

ChiefGator
05-03-2019, 06:44 AM
I have a bunch of 4ah batteries so I never run out of juice.

Yeah, pretty much the reason I bought the DeWalt.. I already had a bunch of batteries laying around for other tools. So, I didn't really do much comparison research before I bought it.. but it has been really convenient.

I never really experienced any kickback with it honestly...

srvy
05-03-2019, 06:53 AM

Yeah the Oregon chains in the big box retail stores are not the same quality as from a saw shop cut from bulk roll of chain and not a really that more expensive.

notorious
05-03-2019, 06:56 AM
They all are dangerous even more so to folks that use maybe once a year if at all. The electric is only more because a lil nip or bite can eat right through heavy clothing or safety chaps to cut deep. With any chainsaw a kickback into your face is going to mess ya up electric or gas. After storms I see people straddle timber bending over it or in the middle of downed branches cutting at the trunk. I cringe when I see it, delimb and clean around the big stuff then tackle it. I see all the time home owners owners on extension ladders supported by the limb they are cutting. They cut limb past the the ladder but if it hangs in another limp and sucks back at you it will knock you right off ladder lol.

Some things are best left to a professional on bigger jobs.

Yeah, this monkey isn’t climbing into the trees. We got a local guy that likes to talk to the trees, sometimes cusses the trees, before he cuts the down. He is who I call for the big stuff.

HemiEd
05-03-2019, 07:04 AM
My Dad gave me one of those little 16" craftsman saws that wouldn't run.

Took it apart, cleaned the carb etc, it starts and runs like a champ.

So my advice is to take your current saw to a shop and get it fixed, but that is not what you asked.

I have no experience with electric or battery operated ones. :D

srvy
05-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Some or those old Craftsman chainsaws were really good quality made by Dolmar, Jonsered, Macculloch and homelite. Real quality in the day especially Dolmar. What you have may be better than what you can buy now could be good to check out what is wrong.

Bwana
05-03-2019, 07:52 AM
This x1000. I only run ethanol free gas in all my small engines and try to in my 2002 Toyota truck.

That's a good call and makes a big difference, unless you're in to rebuilding carbs.

As far as saws, I have had good luck with Stihl and as mentioned above, if you don't keep the chain sharp, nothing works well.

Renegade
05-03-2019, 08:30 AM
An Elm tree will ruin a chain quickly. Brand new chain can dull in 5 cuts on an elm

chinaski
05-03-2019, 08:36 AM

That's what I have, it's a small "homeowner" saw, but it fires up every time and works great. As far as fuel, I run AVGAS in all of my 2-strokes.

Lzen
05-03-2019, 08:42 AM
Some of the worst accidents happen with those electric and lithium battery saws. They dont have the clutch (chain brake) that bogs down like a gas chainsaw. The chain with gas saws get caught in clothing and clutch shuts down before to much damage is down normally. The electric rip right on through jeans until you let off. Talked with Asplundh Tree crew they said they wont use them because they will nip you bad right through safety chaps.

Well that is interesting. I didn't know the lithium ones don't have a clutch. I bought an battery powered Kobalt pole saw last year when it was on a daily special. I already had a battery for it from the Kobalt trimmer I had bought on a daily special the previous summer. Just got out and used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Trimmed a bunch of the neighbor's tree branches along the fence line that were hanging over my garage roof. Works like a champ. But I guess that wouldn't be the problem you described since it is a pole saw. But perhaps I will think twice about getting a regular chain saw that is battery powered. I currently have one that is electric that plugs in since I don't live in the country.

RedRaider56
05-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Following. My poulan gave out after 17 years. Trying to decide whether to buy a new one or see about getting this one fixed

ChiefBlueCFC
05-03-2019, 08:44 AM
https://t1.daumcdn.net/cfile/tistory/264C4A3B52E4C50903

tmax63
05-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Some or those old Craftsman chainsaws were really good quality made by Dolmar, Jonsered, Macculloch and homelite. Real quality in the day especially Dolmar. What you have may be better than what you can buy now could be good to check out what is wrong.

What he said. My brother and I have a heavy old Craftsman for over 20 years and we can't wear the SOB out. Never leave gas in them and stay away from ethanol is right on. Chains are more important than brand of saw.
For cutting a few limbs in the yard get whatever you want, they'll all do that. If you use one more than 2-3 times a year spend the money and get a Stihl or Echo.

Renegade
05-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Following. My poulan gave out after 17 years. Trying to decide whether to buy a new one or see about getting this one fixed

My dealer said it would be cheaper to replace my Pollan than repair. My was very low end though

gblowfish
05-03-2019, 09:00 AM
This is what I bought:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-60-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-FLEXVOLT-Brushless-16-in-Chainsaw-with-3-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-DCCS670X1/301326323

12 months no interest. Was $381 with tax, deliver to my business in Lenexa Tuesday.

i'll check out repair places for the old Craftsman. I think the carb is clogged. I just don't have the skill or patience for small engine repair.

notorious
05-03-2019, 09:06 AM
This is what I bought:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-60-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-FLEXVOLT-Brushless-16-in-Chainsaw-with-3-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-DCCS670X1/301326323

12 months no interest. Was $381 with tax, deliver to my business in Lenexa Tuesday.

i'll check out repair places for the old Craftsman. I think the carb is clogged. I just don't have the skill or patience for small engine repair.

They go through chain oil faster than our gassers, but many they are nice.

Get you a few extra batteries. They are expensive but worth it.

Holladay
05-03-2019, 09:16 AM
A nice way to judge the chain sharpness other then it doesn't cut worth crap. Look at the wood shavings as they come out of the saw. If they look like saw dust...bad blade. If they are decent sized shavings...sharp blade.

GloryDayz
05-03-2019, 09:19 AM

That's one of the main reasons we got ours. But like I said, the extension letting you trim branches "up high" is just swell...

gblowfish
05-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Fixing the old Craftsman from small engine repair place would be about $100. Think I'll just put it on Craigslist for next to nuthin.

GloryDayz
05-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Fixing the old Craftsman from small engine repair place would be about $100. Think I'll just put it on Craigslist for next to nuthin.

Many moons ago I gave my old gas one to ye 'ol LSHS shop teacher, he used it for good...

gblowfish
05-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Second to not using cheap gas in any gas powered lawn equipment. It killed the carb in my one year old Ryobi pressure washer last year. The guys at King Small Engine in Independence told me not to use Stabil over the winter in gas either. That's even worse than old gas. They just said buy fresh premium, avoid ethanol and try not to let things like lawnmowers or pressure washers sit around all winter with old gas in them.

kepp
05-03-2019, 11:24 AM

This. I have the MS 250 model and its been phenomenal. I believe they have an "easy start" option now.

gblowfish
05-03-2019, 12:21 PM
I've had good luck with DeWalt stuff, so for the limited use this is going to get (I'm NOT a lumberjack) it should be fine for just doing stuff around the yard.

srvy
05-03-2019, 12:31 PM
So has it charged up yet for its first maiden voyage?

srvy
05-03-2019, 12:37 PM
This Canuck is a trip to watch but has great method on hand sharpening a chain. Also fun watching him fell big trees. He is a bit of a dork but harmless and has good advice. When I am bored I binge watch his videos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_bfzryH7qhE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

notorious
05-03-2019, 12:44 PM
That guy is REALLY into sharpening chains. LMAO

srvy
05-03-2019, 12:51 PM
That guy is REALLY into sharpening chains. LMAO

Lol he is pretty entertaining he does know his shit though. I do say come south into the hardwoods though. I bet he has never cut down Osage Orange :D

digger
05-03-2019, 12:59 PM
https://coxrare.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/texaschainsawmassacre.jpg

notorious
05-03-2019, 01:03 PM
https://coxrare.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/texaschainsawmassacre.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/16/04/8f1604f83d097a0f0bdddab88b5ca1e0.gif

http://i47.tinypic.com/k1c10l.gif

Bwana
05-03-2019, 01:11 PM
This is what I bought:

If you can get it started, run some seafoam through it. That stuff can work magic. You can get it at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71RVVZeq9bL._SX425_.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjWoNqMiIDiAhVXsp4KHS1RC10QjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSea-Foam-sf-16-Motor-Treatment%2Fdp%2FB0002JN2EU&psig=AOvVaw0tPiaoxvPamSA4lEZeZdxr&ust=1556996976099127)

scho63
05-03-2019, 02:58 PM
What's a chainsaw?

Bugeater
05-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Shit, I have an old Stihl that's in great shape that i have no use for anymore. I'd give the damn thing to you if you didn't live so far away.

FlaChief58
05-03-2019, 04:05 PM
What's a chainsaw?

Don't you worry your pretty little head missy. The men are talking.

srvy
05-03-2019, 04:55 PM
I've had good luck with DeWalt stuff, so for the limited use this is going to get (I'm NOT a lumberjack) it should be fine for just doing stuff around the yard.

I know they make quality tools I have many just have never used their chainsaws.

Makita makes damn fine gas chainsaws but they are priced like gold. Makita bought Dolmar the old Canadian power saw company.

cooper barrett
05-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Shit, I have an old Stihl that's in great shape that i have no use for anymore. I'd give the damn thing to you if you didn't live so far away.

Will the powerhead fit in a flat rate box?

cooper barrett
05-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Ya ya ya, I don't know shit but Lawn Mower now "Small engine Tune Up" in a can is my go to for non starting fuel products: weed eaters, saws
mowers tillers...

Made by Power Blaster, so you know it's good stuff.

As far as cheap but pretty dam good saw that I liked was the Poulan Wild Thing but all I have now is Stihl stuff

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQzNFg3Mjg=/z/HYoAAMXQ74JTSn9R/$_32.JPG?set_id=89040003C1