PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Thoughts on undrafted QB Kyle Shurmur

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Wondering what you guys think of him. I'm surprised he wasn't a draft pick at least in later rounds.

Kyle Shurmur – Quarterback – Vanderbilt

Shurmur (6’4”, 230 lbs) set nearly every passing record at Vanderbilt during his four-year career—finishing with 8,865 total yards passing and 64 touchdowns.

In last four regular-season games in college, all against SEC teams, Shurmur was 90-of-123 (73 percent) with 11 touchdowns and one interception

He’s also the son of current New York Giants’ head coach Pat Shurmur, who spent 10 years with Andy Reid in Philadelphia with the Eagles as an offensive assistant.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ErjulCLC0pQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RealSNR
05-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Might be able to bounce around an NFL practice squad or two for a couple of years. If he's lucky, could Chase Daniel his way into an NFL career.

If what I hear about him is true, I think he wants to get into coaching. Will probably find his way onto an Andy Reid coaching staff when all is said and done. Or, at the very least, he could land with one of his offensive disciples like Pederson or Nagy, if either of them are still around when he's ready to enter the ranks, likely as an offensive QC guy.

I doubt his dad still has an HC gig when that time comes.

Mike in SW-MO
05-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Somebody has to throw passes in rookie camp.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Might be able to bounce around an NFL practice squad or two for a couple of years. If he's lucky, could Chase Daniel his way into an NFL career.

If what I hear about him is true, I think he wants to get into coaching. Will probably find his way onto an Andy Reid coaching staff when all is said and done. Or, at the very least, he could land with one of his offensive disciples like Pederson or Nagy, if either of them are still around when he's ready to enter the ranks, likely as an offensive QC guy.

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Heard he has a weak arm. Meanwhile Linta is throwing 65 yard bombs in the air

Bump
05-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Don't care, have Mahomes.

Would be good to trade a backup every few years though.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Real question is will HENNE make the roster this year?

Megatron96
05-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Pretty good footwork, prototypical overhead throwing motion, tight spirals, looks pretty accurate, seems to be going through his reads like a real QB, threw at least three passes for more than 50 yards through the air with what looked like relative ease. Probably a stronger arm than Alex Smith had.

With his father coaching him up all those years, he probably has a pretty good football mind.

TLO
05-05-2019, 08:53 PM
What do YOU think of him, Hog Farmer?

RealSNR
05-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Pretty good footwork, prototypical overhead throwing motion, tight spirals, looks pretty accurate, seems to be going through his reads like a real QB, threw at least three passes for more than 50 yards through the air with what looked like relative ease. Probably a stronger arm than Alex Smith had.

With his father coaching him up all those years, he probably has a pretty good football mind.

That guy's arm is a duck launcher. Even his more impressive throws you're talking about have more in common with Damon Huard than any other reasonable starting QB's. Alex didn't have the strongest arm, but he had an adequate enough arm. I'll betcha Shurmur's throwing velocity is in the fucking 40s.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Shurmur has a very weak arm. He’s accurate tho

Chiefshrink
05-05-2019, 09:01 PM

Yep, I think AR is doing his long time friend Pat a favor by giving him a chance to make the squad and get coached up by the best in the business so that he can be a legit coach in the future.

Chiefshrink
05-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Hog would say "well he ain't no Johnny Manziel!":D

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2019, 09:02 PM

I think his father not wanting him on his team is a HUGE red flag.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Hog would say "well he ain't no Johnny Manziel!":D

There's only 1 Johnny Football.

Fortunately

Megatron96
05-05-2019, 09:09 PM
That guy's arm is a duck launcher. Even his more impressive throws you're talking about have more in common with Damon Huard than any other reasonable starting QB's. Alex didn't have the strongest arm, but he had an adequate enough arm. I'll betcha Shurmur's throwing velocity is in the ****ing 40s.

Alex had difficulty throwing 50 yards through the air. This guy (at least three times; never saw him play a game) made those throws look pretty easy.

Not saying that he's got a great arm, but at least from the highlight reel it looks adequate, or at least it is if Alex made a career with his arm.

Heck, Montana was never known for exceptional arm strength either. Everything exceptional about Joe was between his ears.

Pitt Gorilla
05-05-2019, 09:09 PM
I think his father not wanting him on his team is a HUGE red flag.Maybe he did. Would you sign with Shurmur or Reid?

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Maybe he did. Would you sign with Shurmur or Reid?

Well then why didn't he draft him rd 7 instead of giving him options.

Eleazar
05-05-2019, 09:16 PM
This thread lead me on a random thought exercise... Who are the greatest undrafted QBs in NFL history other than Kurt Warner? Has there been another that won a Super Bowl? Or turned out to be great? I can't seem to think of one.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Well then why didn't he draft him rd 7 instead of giving him options.

Cuz we found our starting center is round 7

MightyMouse
05-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Camp arm, won’t make PS

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 09:18 PM
This thread lead me on a random thought exercise... Who are the greatest undrafted QBs in NFL history other than Kurt Warner? Has there been another that won a Super Bowl? Or turned out to be great? I can't seem to think of one.

Warren Moon and Tony Romo. Jeff Garcia was average. Dave Kreig. Jake Delhomme took a team to the super bowl

Chiefshrink
05-05-2019, 09:21 PM
I think his father not wanting him on his team is a HUGE red flag.

Nah, I think it was good that he is under AR first and then maybe his dad later on. He learns things from Reid he would never get from his father. You know the ol how many different angles of knowledge can I get on one specialty so you go to the best experts on that specialty/position. His dad probably told him IF you are smart you will attempt to make Reid's team if you want the best at coaching QB's and learning the contemporary version of the WC offense.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Cuz we found our starting center is round 7

No,No, I'm saying why didn't Shurmur draft him in rd 7 if he wanted to coach his own kid.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 09:43 PM
No,No, I'm saying why didn't Shurmur draft him in rd 7 if he wanted to coach his own kid.

That’s true. That’s kind of like us drafting McKenzie when his own dad didn’t want him

SDChiefs
05-05-2019, 09:46 PM
Based on the still frame in the video in the OP, if he is 6'4" hes 170 pounds. No way hes 230 unless his legs are as thick as redwoods.

Chiefshrink
05-05-2019, 09:48 PM

The Giants are in huge need having many holes more than most and because their first pick was a QB my guess is that they could not justify drafting 2 QBs especially when Eli will play another 2yrs. My point being that they need every draft pick through 7 to possibly fill those holes and are not at luxury to blow off rounds 6 and 7 like some teams can do.

JohnnyV13
05-05-2019, 10:19 PM

Johnny Unitas. Tony Romo was undrafted. Trent Green was drafted in the 8th round (which doesn't exist anymore). Warren Moon, Dave Krieg, Jake Delhomme, Jim Hart, i believe Bobby Hebert was undrafted. Jon Kitna. Opps, Johnny Unitas was drafted by the steelers in the 9th round. But, the Colts found him playing semi-pro ball

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-05-2019, 10:21 PM
Johnny Unitas. Tony Romo was undrafted. Trent Green was drafted in the 8th round (which doesn't exist anymore).

Unitas was actually drafted in the ninth round

notorious
05-05-2019, 10:26 PM
There's only 1 Johnny Football.

Fortunately

This post just sneaks by?

Gold. ROFL

Tribal Warfare
05-06-2019, 01:55 AM
Johnny Unitas. Tony Romo was undrafted. Trent Green was drafted in the 8th round (which doesn't exist anymore). Warren Moon, Dave Krieg, Jake Delhomme, Jim Hart, i believe Bobby Hebert was undrafted. Jon Kitna. Opps, Johnny Unitas was drafted by the steelers in the 9th round. But, the Colts found him playing semi-pro ball

Bart Starr

stumppy
05-06-2019, 05:32 AM

Because nepotism in the NFL is a bad idea.

tooge
05-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Over the past 20 years, we'd all be talking about him as a possible diamond in the rough that could be our guy, LOL. Now that we have Mahomes, fans can look at him for what he really is. Camp fodder.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
05-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Bart Starr

BART Starr was selected in the 17th round. Therefore he was drafted

Warren Moon was probably the greatest undrafted qb, along with Dave Krieg. Tony Romo as well. Jake Delhomme was undrafted and he took a team to the Super Bowl

Sorce
05-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Give him time to train under Mahomes, trade him for a 1st.

Luke Atamadong
05-06-2019, 07:42 AM
Over the past 20 years, we'd all be talking about him as a possible diamond in the rough that could be our guy, LOL. Now that we have Mahomes, fans can look at him for what he really is. Camp fodder.

HEH Mahomes makes 25 NFL STARTING QUARTERBACKS look like camp fodder.

kcbubb
05-06-2019, 11:50 AM
He can be a good backup. His strength will be his work ethic and the mental part of the game. He looks like a late bloomer physically. He has pretty good mechanics and foot work. Vandy is pretty challenging academically. Let's hope that he can grow physically with full time dedication to football. He will have the work ethic to get better at everything else.

Deberg_1990
05-06-2019, 11:52 AM
My expectation is that he takes over as the starter once Mahomes leaves in a few years.

JohnnyV13
05-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Bart Starr

Bart Starr was drafted in the 15th round

JohnnyV13
05-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Andy might be grooming him as a future QB coach

Tribal Warfare
05-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Bart Starr was drafted in the 15th round

When they're were 12 teams in the NFL

ILChief
05-06-2019, 07:21 PM
I like Chase Litton better

Eleazar
05-06-2019, 08:51 PM
Warren Moon and Tony Romo. Jeff Garcia was average. Dave Kreig. Jake Delhomme took a team to the super bowl

Yeah, but Moon was kind of a known quantity already. Tony Romo we can accept.

kccrow
05-06-2019, 09:19 PM
I think Litton and Linta are better players. I doubt he even makes the PS.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Flip some bitches!

WhiteWhale
05-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Yeah, but Moon was kind of a known quantity already. Tony Romo we can accept.

Moon is a weird case. He wasn't undrafted due to a lack of perceived talent.

I'm pretty sure his first NFL contract was the biggest QB contract in league history at the time.

He was hardly your typical undrafted guy. If a prospect like him came around today he'd have been a 1st rounder easily.

The rest of that list did more to deserve their undrafted status.

philfree
05-07-2019, 09:32 AM
QB to QB Coach to OC to HC. Not a better place to do it then under Andy Reid.

DJ's left nut
05-07-2019, 09:35 AM
I prefer Chase Litton by a pretty fair amount.

Not sure I'd even bother putting Shurmer on the PS.