PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Pellet Grills

Buehler445
05-08-2019, 10:13 AM
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.

IowaHawkeyeChief
05-08-2019, 10:15 AM
I got a Traeger during prime days last year. We really like it. Variety of cooking and smoking. However, it does take longer to heat up and isn't as convenient.

Dunit35
05-08-2019, 10:16 AM
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.

tomahawkchop25
05-08-2019, 10:18 AM
I've had a Green Mountain for a couple of years and absolutely love it.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.

BIG_DADDY
05-08-2019, 10:25 AM
I have a Traeger. Works well, doesn’t get above 350 though. If you want sear marks you’re not getting it on a Traeger, at least on mine anyways. I’ve had it for five or so years, without any mechanical issues.

I will be glad when it dies though. I want a Yoder Pellet grill. Made in Hutchinson, KS. Expensive, can cold smoke, sear. It’s been a while since I’ve researched them so maybe they’ve changed in the quality department.

Holy crap that is expensive.

In58men
05-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Weber Smokey Mountain hands down.

You’ll also save a shit ton of money

Dante84
05-08-2019, 10:33 AM
My Traeger is awesome.

arrowheadnation
05-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Yep. I have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone. Picked it over the Treager because it gets to 400 degrees. I have never had any issues with it in 3 years. I also bought a set of Grill Grates for mine...perfect grill lines. That being said, if I had the money, I would have bought a Yoder. Very high quality. Very expensive.

okiedokieokoye
05-08-2019, 10:36 AM
The timing of this thread is so bizarre. After weeks of debating if we wanted to spend the money on a grill we don't really need (I have a fully functional Chargriller), we decided to pull the trigger on a Camp Chef Magnum Dual Function. It had some amazing features. The smoker obviously, a slide handle that lets you switch from direct heat to indirect heat on the grill, 2 built in thermometers, a viewing window for both the grill and the hopper and a bottle opener for your beer. I get it on Monday and I'm so excited to try it out!

notorious
05-08-2019, 10:41 AM

I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.

notorious
05-08-2019, 10:45 AM
I had a Louisiana Grill. Fuck that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.

BryanBusby
05-08-2019, 10:53 AM
I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.

srvy
05-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Traegers rock. Make sure you cover them though as the pellets turn to concrete and destroy the grill.

They all have that problem. Pellets get wet then sit and setup like concrete in the feedtube.

The other problem or at least with mine is the hot rod ignitor burning out or the in line fuse blowing. All above easy fixes.

srvy
05-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Weber Smokey Mountain hands down.

You’ll also save a shit ton of money

Yep tried and true and no electric motors and fans to go bad.

Why Not?
05-08-2019, 11:24 AM
My Traeger is awesome.

This.

SAUTO
05-08-2019, 11:32 AM
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it. go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too

ChiTown
05-08-2019, 11:32 AM
I have one of these -Yoder YS640, except it's a drop in. I love it.

https://www.atbbq.com/media/catalog/product/cache/e4d64343b1bc593f1c5348fe05efa4a6/y/o/yoder-smokers-ys640s-pellet-grill-acs-wifi-6.jpg

BryanBusby
05-08-2019, 11:34 AM
If anyone has any experience with PitBoss grills, feel free to chime in. The one with the 60 lb pellet hopper has had my attention for a minute.

SAUTO
I think you need a yoder beuhler...

OmahaChief
I think Traegar's are alright, but not worth what you're spending. Have heard a lot of good things about rectec grills.

FIL has a GMG Daniel Boone with the wifi and really seems to still like it years later.

Love my GMG Daniel Boone. I have made some really good stuff in that bad boy. Consistent and easy to use if you don't have the time or want to tend to a stick burner.

okiedokieokoye
05-08-2019, 11:38 AM
So us out in here in California have to worry about something called Prop 65 which is a list of things that have been known to cause cancer. Wood dust is on this list...and the bags of Wood Pellets have this warning on them. Having never used a pellet grill before, is this an actual concern I should have? Is there a ton of wood dust floating around? I would think it would all burn off.

ChiefsHawk
05-08-2019, 11:39 AM
I would highly suggest looking at a Rec Tec. They can get up to 500 degrees which most pg cant. Wife and I got the bull last year and it is very well built. We love the thing

https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt-700-wood-pellet-grill/

BryanBusby
05-08-2019, 11:40 AM
So us out in here in California have to worry about something called Prop 65 which is a list of things that have been known to cause cancer. Wood dust is on this list...and the bags of Wood Pellets have this warning on them. Having never used a pellet grill before, is this an actual concern I should have? Is there a ton of wood dust floating around? I would think it would all burn off.
I don't think it'd be any more or less risky than being around Wifi signals and what not.

ChiefsHawk
05-08-2019, 11:41 AM

They think everything causes cancer out there. No I'd have no concern with wood pellets

ChiefsHawk
05-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Here's a great forum I also use.

https://pelletfan.com/

In58men
05-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Yep tried and true and no electric motors and fans to go bad.

Yep, built to last. Don’t have to worry about parts failing during a cook.

Sorce
05-08-2019, 11:59 AM
I got the rec tec stampede a few weeks ago. Loving it.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-0wl5cus/images/stencil/500x659/products/398/1736/IMG_7666_copy__14171.1517411355.png?c=2&imbypass=on

One of my concerns was if it could replace my gas grill for searing. I ordered the grill grates with it and get better sear than my gas grill ever has. My temp generally stays +/- 2 degrees of where it is set. The wifi for the probes is awesome, I can check on the temps from wherever I am in the house. I have mine covered so being able to turn it on remotely isn't that big of a deal.

I was sold on the construction and quality of the components.

kepp
05-08-2019, 12:01 PM
I have a Pit Boss pellet grill and its been great. No complaints what-so-ever.

RockChalk
05-08-2019, 12:09 PM

This. GMG is far superior to Traeger. I can get mine up to 500, no problem, and their customer service is second to none. I messed up and let mine get soaked in a rainstorm, allowing the auger to get filled with wet pellets, which expanded and turn to cement (basically). I called them and they sent me a whole new auger unit with easy to install instructions.

Having used/owned both, I would recommend GMG over Traeger

R Clark
05-08-2019, 12:27 PM
I am about to blow your mind, Dunit. Look by the dial of your Traeger, there will be a little recessed “reset” button. Grab an ink pen or I use my thermometer, and push it. That sets the “p” number, which controls the speed at which your grill distributes pellets. Set that ****er to p-0 and you will get to around 460-475.

Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not

Fire Me Boy!
05-08-2019, 01:08 PM
I would highly suggest looking at a Rec Tec. They can get up to 500 degrees which most pg cant. Wife and I got the bull last year and it is very well built. We love the thing

https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt-700-wood-pellet-grill/I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

And the get hotter than 500. The dial goes to "low" (around 180) and 5 degree increments from 200-500, then "high" (I've gotten mine around 550).

They're built like tanks, and the warranty is good. Stampede is 4 years, Bull is 6.

And support is outstanding. I know a guy who had a problem on a weekend and got a call from the owner. They're in Augusta, GA, and just the best people to work with.

ChiefsHawk
05-08-2019, 01:13 PM
I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

And the get hotter than 500. The dial goes to "low" (around 180) and 5 degree increments from 200-500, then "high" (I've gotten mine around 550).

They're built like tanks, and the warranty is good. Stampede is 4 years, Bull is 6.

And support is outstanding. I know a guy who had a problem on a weekend and got a call from the owner. They're in Augusta, GA, and just the best people to work with.

I'll never buy another brand again that's for sure

chop
05-08-2019, 01:17 PM

I bought a Rec Tec around Christmas time, so I haven't used it a whole lot yet. However, I did use it a couple of times when the weather was around 20 degrees, and the rec tec kept a consistent temp during the long cook. The brisket turned out pretty good too.

Shaid
05-08-2019, 01:23 PM
The Woodwind is the one I've been considering for a while now. It has a searbox, etc. on it which I like.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind.html?msclkid=7255fba189041f76ec09a772a2dda41b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=TXT-Woodwind-Grills-Smokers&utm_term=woodwind%20grill&utm_content=TXT-WoodwindGrills-Exact

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41MUCJj3slL.jpg

BryanBusby
05-08-2019, 01:28 PM
I don't think I'd bother with a CampChef again.

Dayze
05-08-2019, 01:32 PM
I'm buying a grill in the near future; debating on getting a grill and a smoker; or just getting a WSM.

I like the convenience of a gas grill so I might do gas grill and get the WSM.
Hmmm.

Shaid
05-08-2019, 01:33 PM
I don't think I'd bother with a CampChef again.

Bad experience with their pellet grills?

dirk digler
05-08-2019, 01:34 PM
I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.

Fire Me Boy!
I'll never buy another brand again that's for sureHave you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.

Sorce
I just bought a Rec Tec Stampede maybe a month ago. Love this thing already. I did a ton of research deciding, and I think the RT is the Cadillac of pellet grills.

Yeah your experience with it convinced me to go that way. I have been extremely happy. One big difference between the GMG, Rec Tec, Yoder and Grilla are they all have a PID controller. This allows the grills to hold a much tighter temp range than the others. I also liked the full SS inside of the RecTec.

Fire Me Boy!
05-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Yeah your experience with it convinced me to go that way. I have been extremely happy. One big difference between the GMG, Rec Tec, Yoder and Grilla are they all have a PID controller. This allows the grills to hold a much tighter temp range than the others. I also liked the full SS inside of the RecTec.Yeah, I've been super impressed. The app has a temp tracker graph. Overnight when I did a brisket, it never strayed more than 2 degrees for about 10 hours.

BryanBusby
05-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Bad experience with their pellet grills?
There's another user that seemed to love his, but I didn't care for it. The one I had ate through pellets like crazy and I ended up finding out it was because the temps weren't being kept consistent so it was overcompensating in hopes of keeping the grill at whatever I had it set at. The hopper design is also a little odd and it won't use up all the pellets in the hopper unless you open it up towards the end and keep scraping them towards the feeder.

I've heard a pretty mixed bag of reviews on all the models. One person said they kept getting bad probe after bad probe, but CS was happy to keep sending another to them forever and ever.

cron912
05-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Agreed, do yourself a favor and get a Rec Tec.

Then when I come back to visit my parents you can grill me up something good. :D

ChiefsHawk
05-08-2019, 01:45 PM
I've never heard a bad thing about Rec Tec. IF something goes wrong they'll get it corrected. Plus a 6 year warranty is amazing

Dunit35
05-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Guess I’ll mess with it. I don’t care about a sear but I know some people do.

Fire Me Boy!
05-08-2019, 01:50 PM
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/4d22a9f10466a9edab7f320a5f7b519c.jpg

Buehler445
05-08-2019, 01:54 PM
I had a Louisiana Grill. Fuck that thing with irrigation pipe. It jammed, set on fire, you name it.

I went with a Traeger. We grill 3-4 times a week, smoke at least once, and I have never had a problem over the last 3-4 years. My dad has a first gen Traeger that’s rusted out, and it still works well just fine.

I don’t know why people say they have problems with them. We’re just lucky I guess.

My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too

I think you need a yoder beuhler...

SAUTO, you must love to spend my money ROFL

tooge
05-08-2019, 02:17 PM
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

ChiefsHawk
05-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Have you tried any of their rubs? I've tried the Heifer Dust and the Front Row Master Blend. That Heifer Dust is amazing. I just won a prize pack from them and getting one of all their rubs, but what I've had so far is great.

I have not. I'll have to do that when I order the cold smoker

srvy
05-08-2019, 02:20 PM
I was thinking about getting a GMG because I have heard very good things about them so I went to a local store the other day that has the Daniel Boone and my first thought was how flimsy it was. I passed so I am still looking. I am considering the Pit Boss Pro Smoker that Lowe's has.

Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

dirk digler
05-08-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm going to pull the trigger on the Grilla (grillagrills.com). I like the small footprint. I like that it drops the pellets into the fire tub instead of pushing them through which is a cleanout issue to me. I like the sliding lid feature. The round shape renders no hot spots, and moving it around is a breeze. Reviews say it gets up to 500 degrees, and it has a removable plate if searing beyond that is needed. Plus, it's got plenty of space on it for me with it's second rack. Finally, a great warranty and made here in the US. Amazingribs.com and several other smoking sites have all given it great marks.

Wow I like that one. After reading this thread I was leading toward the Rec Tec Trailblazer but now...

dirk digler
05-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Yeah my lowes has a fairly good display of Pit Boss from entry to deluxe. They have upped their game with build quality and heavier gauge steel than I remembered the first I seen them many years ago at Sams Club.

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SE entry level for a couple years now I have no regrets but I got it for a song on Walmart closeout. I haven't had the problems that BrianBusby speaks of. But its my first pellet grill maybe I got lucky or just have nothing to compare it to. I do know I have a lot of camp chef gear and quality wise its what Coleman used to be when the old man was alive. Just mt 2 cent's.

Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.

tooge
05-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Pit Boss has pretty good reviews and I only really need a smoker since I have a griddle now which I use exclusively. But these pellet grills are intriguing me.

I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.

srvy
05-08-2019, 03:08 PM
I was always the purist. I did the comp bbq thing for 20 years. I own a WSM, and believe that even today, it's the best pure smoker on the market. Now that I've done it that way all these years, I want the ease of the pellet system. With all the time I've spend managing temps, fires, and wood, I'm no longer worried about people thinking I'm not a purist or that I'm taking shortcuts. I'll keep my old weber kettle around just because, but just like VCR's and cassettes, I think something better is just available these days.

Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.

Fire Me Boy!
05-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Me to I use the pellet as a convenience to grill some chicken quikly for me and the kids. Ill be damned if ill smoke my 60 buck packer in it though. I trust my WSM to not fail me and give a great smokey flavor.Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.

srvy
05-08-2019, 05:08 PM
Hmm. My brisket came out great on the RT. Ribs came out even better.

I am a creature of habit I stick with what I know works for me. I have never been satisfied with flavor of the smoke with pellets. When I first got the pellet grill I tried every pellet under the sun and none gave me the flavor that charcoal and wood chunks do so when I get serious its the wsm or my box smoker with wood chips or chunk.

theoldcoach
05-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Love my Traeger. And by adjusting the p stop I can get 475 degrees out of it. Rarely do.....or want to. But I can if necessary.

notorious
05-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot for heads ! Mine gets hot enough to leave grill marks, but could use more heat.according to temp gauge it gets to 430 . Haven’t checked it to see if accurate or not

It works well the other way, too. Sometimes smoking just doesn’t want to go to the temp I want, so I’ll adjust it to a slower cycle.

notorious
05-08-2019, 06:05 PM
My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

My buddy has one and has better luck but he burned out a temperature controller.

Jesus. I guess we are just lucky.

Oh, igniters are similar in all smokers. Always have one on hand when they go out.

Strongside
05-08-2019, 06:17 PM
We cook on Gateway drums for comps, but I have a Yoder YS 640 at home. That thing is a freaking BEAST. Gets hot enough to sear, has a griddle attachment. It’s phenomenal]

farmerchief
05-08-2019, 06:40 PM
We have a traeger, going on our second one. Since it's just the wife and I now, we downsized to a smaller unit. We've replaced auger motors, igniters, general maintenance stuff, not bad. We've had a traeger of some model for over 20 years. Wife loves it, and rarely cooks inside, if she can help it.

O.city
05-08-2019, 06:43 PM
I have a hasty bake that I’ve had for 4 years. It’s charcoal but I love it. It was t cheap but I’ve taken care of it pretty well and it’s holding up nicely

https://www.hastybake.com/

Bwana
05-08-2019, 07:04 PM
This is what I have, love it.

https://www.yodersmokers.com/ys640-pellet-grill.html

Bwana
05-08-2019, 07:08 PM

Trust me, they are worth it. I had a Treager and had nothing but problems. I took it back to Costco, go my money back and bought the Yoder.

srvy
05-08-2019, 07:36 PM
I have a hasty bake that I’ve had for 4 years. It’s charcoal but I love it. It was t cheap but I’ve taken care of it pretty well and it’s holding up nicely

https://www.hastybake.com/

Holy heck batman the size of that meat on those old grills in that homepage. Just wow.

notorious
05-08-2019, 07:56 PM
Just checked out Yoder grills.....backed out of page carefully......

JFC, does food taste any better from one of those? Mother fucker better take mystery meat and turn it into a fucking Wagyu steak for that price.

Buehler445
05-08-2019, 08:13 PM
Trust me, they are worth it. I had a Treager and had nothing but problems. I took it back to Costco, go my money back and bought the Yoder.

You must have missed the post where he told me to buy all of them and make a recommendation for him LOL

ChiTown
05-08-2019, 08:13 PM

We are grill bro’s :D

I absolutely love mine. It’s idiot proof, which is perfect for me...

Randallflagg
05-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Love my Traeger. And by adjusting the p stop I can get 475 degrees out of it. Rarely do.....or want to. But I can if necessary.

Yep - I love mine as well - does a great job.. :thumb:

Buehler445
05-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Just checked out Yoder grills.....backed out of page carefully......

JFC, does food taste any better from one of those? Mother fucker better take mystery meat and turn it into a fucking Wagyu steak for that price.

Yeah man. I looked over all the materials on them and fuuuuuck that’s a lot of money. Looks like a good rig, but I don’t know if I could get the value out of it.

Leaning Rectec. I’ll talk to the wife about it.

Sorce
05-09-2019, 10:24 AM
What pellets are people using? Ordered 200lbs with my rec tec so that will last me a while but just wondering people's opinions on other brands / mixes?

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2019, 10:27 AM
What pellets are people using? Ordered 200lbs with my rec tec so that will last me a while but just wondering people's opinions on other brands / mixes?I've heard a lot about Lumberjack. I'm also still using what I got with my Stampede.

ChiefsHawk
05-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Lumberjack is good. Just make sure its 100% of the wood you desire

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2019, 12:21 PM
I've also heard good things about Cookin Pellets. I've heard that's where Rec Tec sources theirs, as a matter of fact.

Also heard good things about Pit Boss pellets.

BryanBusby
05-09-2019, 12:24 PM
I've used the PitBoss competition blend pellets. They're only $15 for a 40 lb bag and work pretty well.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2019, 12:27 PM
I've used the PitBoss competition blend pellets. They're only $15 for a 40 lb bag and work pretty well.How's the dust and broken pellets in it?

58-4ever
05-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Traeger... is awesome.

Sorce
05-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Has anyone used smokehouse before? Sams sells those, they seem to have generally positive reviews.

okiedokieokoye
05-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Are we against the competition "blends"?

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2019, 12:40 PM
Are we against the competition "blends"?I'm not.

BryanBusby
05-09-2019, 12:41 PM
How's the dust and broken pellets in it?
Not a lot of dust from what I can tell and it seems the broken pellet count is around the same as the bags I usually get if I go to Sutherlands for my other pellets.

ChiefsHawk
05-09-2019, 02:12 PM
I'm only against anything that isnt 100% of the wood type I want. Some pellet makers use fillers or other woods to cheapen their costs/lower prices

Sorce
05-09-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm only against anything that isnt 100% of the wood type I want. Some pellet makers use fillers or other woods to cheapen their costs/lower prices

I know some will add oils or something to a different kind of wood. I agree if I have a blend I want it to be a blend of those wood pellets.

RedRaider56
05-09-2019, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking of buying a Cabela's pellet grill. They seem pretty dang sturdy looking at them in the store and couple of hundreds buck less than a Traeger.

icepick64
05-09-2019, 03:21 PM
I went to home Depot and got the traeger pro 790, and a week later, I set it to 225, came back in 10 minutes, and it was over 800 degrees. Burned up everything on the inside.

Returned it, and opened up the search again and found the rec tec stampede. Highly rated, everyone seemed to love them. It was night and day difference. Sturdier components, larger hopper, better temperature control, heck even quieter.

Got the search kit and can make great steaks and grilled chicken, and I even went to mellow mushroom while smoking a brisket and it came out terrific.

Best grill I have owned and this is coming from a Weber guy. Great for a week night chicken fajitas because it hits 450 in 15 minutes with the push of a button, and great for low and slow smoking.

Sassy Squatch
05-09-2019, 04:10 PM
Quick question. Are those Rec Tec grills perpetually on sale or is it actually on sale right now?

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2019, 04:12 PM
I think perpetually.

icepick64
05-09-2019, 04:26 PM
I read they had a Black Friday sale, but otherwise, perpetually. The stampede is around the size of the traeger 790 pro if not a little bigger...

ChiefsHawk
05-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Always on sale but includes shipping. One reason I went that direction instead of yoder

Sassy Squatch
05-09-2019, 04:51 PM
I read they had a Black Friday sale, but otherwise, perpetually. The stampede is around the size of the traeger 790 pro if not a little bigger...
Checked that out. Seems like it's only for accessories.

BryanBusby
05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
I get the concern and I was skeptical about them, too. My wife brought them home and I had to use them basically (lazy to go get other stuff) and really was pleased with how they worked. Maybe my expectations were low? I don't know, but no complaints.

GMG fruit blend pellets were fucking awful on the otherhand.

icepick64
05-09-2019, 05:46 PM
I will say, unless you do 225 or lower, you won't get much smoke flavor/rings.

Great taste though, and with build in probes comes out perfect.

Shiver Me Timbers
05-09-2019, 09:30 PM
I have tried them all. Now have an "egg".
Can do low and slow (well below 200) or sear the s&^t out of it at 800 plus.
Briskets for 14 hours or tenderloin for 6 min.
Bake Pizza on it as well.

icepick64
05-09-2019, 10:35 PM
I have tried them all. Now have an "egg".
Can do low and slow (well below 200) or sear the s&^t out of it at 800 plus.
Briskets for 14 hours or tenderloin for 6 min.
Bake Pizza on it as well.

But...the rec tec heats up in 15 minutes and no cleanup really and replacement. Kind of best of both worlds

Shiver Me Timbers
05-09-2019, 10:53 PM
But...the rec tec heats up in 15 minutes and no cleanup really and replacement. Kind of best of both worlds

I am a bit of a masochist. I like waiting and waiting for the pay off while the impatience grows........
Plus I really really like buying large bags of charcoal for $25 each and hickory for 40 a bag. Like a normal night at Temptations........If that place is still open

Buehler445
05-20-2019, 10:15 AM
go buy a couple and let me know which one you like best. I'm thinking of going this route too

I didn't buy them all and try them, but I did buy one.

Bought the RecTec Stampede.

I didn't get the searing grate, maybe I should have, but we'll see.

I did buy a small shelf, the cover, and some Heifer Rub (FMB should be getting commission from this outfit).

Abba-Dabba
05-20-2019, 10:52 AM
I will say, unless you do 225 or lower, you won't get much smoke flavor/rings.

Great taste though, and with build in probes comes out perfect.

That is not true. I routinely smoke pork loins and whole chickens at 275-300 and have no issues creating a smoke ring or flavor.

dlphg9
05-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Im rocking the Barrel House Cooker from Walmart. This thing is fucking awesome. It makes smoking meat so easy using charcoal and you can sear a steak as well. I got mine for like $125 and I think at one time this winter it was priced at >$100. The directions tell you exactly what to do and if you follow those directions you just stick the meat in and leave it alone until its done. I love it and can't wait to start smokin meatzzzz.

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Im rocking the Barrel House Cooker from Walmart. This thing is fucking awesome. It makes smoking meat so easy using charcoal and you can sear a steak as well. I got mine for like $125 and I think at one time this winter it was priced at >$100. The directions tell you exactly what to do and if you follow those directions you just stick the meat in and leave it alone until its done. I love it and can't wait to start smokin meatzzzz.Basically a Pit Barrel Cooler. Those are good at hot and fast BBQ.

SAUTO
05-20-2019, 05:56 PM

I did buy a small shelf, the cover, and some Heifer Rub (FMB should be getting commission from this outfit).

Shoot me a pic when you get it all set up

Buehler445
05-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Shoot me a pic when you get it all set up

Will do. I can't wait. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship.

SAUTO
05-20-2019, 08:40 PM
Will do. I can't wait. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship.

I'm always like a little kid when I order something ROFL

Sorce
05-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Will do. I can't wait. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to ship.Ups guy told me he was coming over for dinner when he delivered mine. Then he stood me up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

KS Smitty
05-20-2019, 10:01 PM
Ups guy told me he was coming over for dinner when he delivered mine. Then he stood me up.

It was probably Bowser...

Fire Me Boy!
05-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Congrats, btw. I think you'll love it. The sear grates is nice but not essential. That Heifer Dust is awesome.

Mr. Wizard
05-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Go to the Home depot in GC an buy this;

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Cooking-Grills-Pellet-Grills/Louisiana-Grills/N-5yc1vZcd18Zm6e/Ntk-tagger/Ntt-pellet%2Bgrill?NCNI-5&storeSelection=2219,2221,2214,2205,2204

You can slide the flame guard over and sear over real pellet fire and cook and smoke. I have sold grills and made 13 different styles so far in shop. Have a traeger and white mountain now, took a camp chef back.

Louisiana is the best followed by white mountian then traeger. IMHO

Buehler445
08-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Have we decided on what pellets are the best?

MOhillbilly
08-18-2019, 06:28 PM
I like the straight hickory made by pitboss.

I run a pitboss 7 copperhead. It takes some maintenance and the auger can be kinda sketchy. Got mine at scheels and replaced it twice in two years but every time I get a new one I get a new warranty.

BryanBusby
08-18-2019, 07:13 PM
I'm still a big fan of the PitBoss competition blend pellets

dannybcaitlyn
08-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Have we decided on what pellets are the best?

Rec-Tec ultimate blend for me then Lumberjack. I have a Rec-Tec Stampede.

Sorce
09-26-2019, 01:30 PM
Not jealous of bull owners anymore. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190926/e1a97a5cf3e02a9a132d777e2ea18629.jpg

Randallflagg
09-26-2019, 02:02 PM

We have a Traeger as well. I like it well enough but you are right about the 350. Now, on older models there is a way to boost the temp to around 500. If yours has it, there is a small (sort of) reset button on the control panel. Take a pen or pencil and hold that in for about 10 seconds and there you go. As I understand it, the newer models don't have that button any longer.

Randallflagg
09-26-2019, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Buehler445;14259034]My parents have one. They've burned through like 4 igniters a control unit and at least one auger motor.

Yeah, when they were made here in the states they were highly reliable. Then, well, you know...

I went through 2 hot rod igniters in about a month before I FINALLY got a decent one.

Buehler445
09-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Not jealous of bull owners anymore. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190926/e1a97a5cf3e02a9a132d777e2ea18629.jpg

Nice!

Let me know what you think of that front shelf.

Sorce
09-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Nice!

Let me know what you think of that front shelf.I'm excited for it, now if I ask my wife to hold my meat while I'm smoking it means something different. Probably going to do a chicken this weekend.

Beef Supreme
09-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Might as well just use an oven. These things aren't "grills."

In58men
10-31-2019, 07:56 AM

So, I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these very soon.

How are you liking it? Any issues?

I’ve been against pellet grills for awhile, but now I’m getting lazier and lazier lol. I’m having a tough time between Yoder and the Rec-Tec.

HonestChieffan
10-31-2019, 09:36 AM
The weber is releasing soon

In58men
10-31-2019, 10:19 AM
The weber is releasing soon

Whoa!

Game changer for sure. Looks like I can wait it out.

xbarretx
10-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Might as well just use an oven. These things aren't "grills."

Beef Supreme dropping truth bombs like they are HOT! :thumb:

Seriously though, im not anti those types of grills I want a real smoker that takes effort to get just right...otherwise what excuse do i have to get some quiet time outside with the smoker/grill?

I am sure it would go something like this.....

Wife: Hey hon, can you help me with these dishes?

Me: Cant, gotta keep an eye on the grill

Wife: isnt that why we got a pellet grill?

Me: Runs outside and hides while "almost" twisting my knee

If i do not have a pellet grill....I can simply nod at her, then the grill/smoker outside and shrug while im cracking open a fresh beer and say "sorry, cant let the food burn or dry out"

#WINNING!!!!!

Fire Me Boy!
10-31-2019, 12:54 PM
Might as well just use an oven. These things aren't "grills."Not grills. Smokers/convection ovens. At low temps, they produce significant smoke.

Beef Supreme
10-31-2019, 03:12 PM
Not grills. Smokers/convection ovens. At low temps, they produce significant smoke.

Ehhh, to be honest I was just quoting a friend who bought one. He is a great cook and grills a killer steak. He was having buyers remorse, and ready to go back to his old Weber egg.

BryanBusby
10-31-2019, 03:14 PM
It's good to have multiple types of grills/smokers/convection ovens.

Buzz
10-31-2019, 06:33 PM
My only problem with the pellet grills is they lack the charcoal flavor. I definitely like the ease of use though.

Shiver Me Timbers
10-31-2019, 07:43 PM
I have owned a pellet (trager), a smoker, a 2 natural gas grills over the past 10 years. I bought a Green Egg 18 months ago. I got rid of everything else after 4 months. For me there is nothing that has even come close. I am still amazed at how easy it is to keep the temp at 225 for 16 hours or cranking it up to 700 plus for the best damn seared tenderloin I have ever been able to make. I even wood fire Pizza on the damn thing.
It is not as "convenient" as the gasser but grilling has now returned to being a hobby and the passion has returned.
(my 2c)

BryanBusby
10-31-2019, 07:50 PM
My only problem with the pellet grills is they lack the charcoal flavor. I definitely like the ease of use though.
I'm actually the opposite. If I'm going low and slow than I'd rather not have charcoal flavor and would rather have the wood blend.

xbarretx
11-01-2019, 08:47 AM
I have owned a pellet (trager), a smoker, a 2 natural gas grills over the past 10 years. I bought a Green Egg 18 months ago. I got rid of everything else after 4 months. For me there is nothing that has even come close. I am still amazed at how easy it is to keep the temp at 225 for 16 hours or cranking it up to 700 plus for the best damn seared tenderloin I have ever been able to make. I even wood fire Pizza on the damn thing.
It is not as "convenient" as the gasser but grilling has now returned to being a hobby and the passion has returned.
(my 2c)

I am in the same boat and once my house is built ill be getting either a BGE or a Kamado Joe (or however its spelled). I wasnt kidding about my previous post.... For me, pellet "grills" are the equivalent of putting out deer corn...sure it works but is it REALLY a victory? IF your wanting it to be that easy, just pay someone else to do it.

On second thought, are there any threads on BGE/Kamado and such?

Sorce
11-01-2019, 02:42 PM

I've seen charcoal pellets.

Buzz
11-01-2019, 09:19 PM
I've seen charcoal pellets.

Where at?

Buzz
11-01-2019, 09:23 PM
I'm actually the opposite. If I'm going low and slow than I'd rather not have charcoal flavor and would rather have the wood blend.

To each his own, I don't agree.

The Rick
11-01-2019, 09:41 PM
This looks pretty interesting to me. Charcoal with the ease of a pellet.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560

Sorce
11-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Where at?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Charcoal-Blend-Hardwood-Pellets-20LB/467052299

Buehler445
01-09-2020, 06:40 PM
What pellets are people using? Ordered 200lbs with my rec tec so that will last me a while but just wondering people's opinions on other brands / mixes?

FWIW, I've used Traeger, Camp Chef and Rec Tec Pellets. The Rec Tec ones make far less dust than the other 2. That's what I'm using hence forth.

Peter Gibbons
01-09-2020, 06:47 PM
Beef Supreme dropping truth bombs like they are HOT! :thumb:

Seriously though, im not anti those types of grills I want a real smoker that takes effort to get just right...otherwise what excuse do i have to get some quiet time outside with the smoker/grill?

I am sure it would go something like this.....

Wife: Hey hon, can you help me with these dishes?

Me: Cant, gotta keep an eye on the grill

Wife: isnt that why we got a pellet grill?

Me: Runs outside and hides while "almost" twisting my knee

If i do not have a pellet grill....I can simply nod at her, then the grill/smoker outside and shrug while im cracking open a fresh beer and say "sorry, cant let the food burn or dry out"

#WINNING!!!!!

I have a Kamado Joe with the iKamand (PID controller) that’s allows me to get the high smoke flavor I want with the ease of a pellet grill. I couple that with a ThermoWorks “Signals” Wifi temp monitor for a backup. It really feels like cheating.

Peter Gibbons
01-09-2020, 06:54 PM
I should add that my wife still thinks I need to attend the grill regularly and should not be bothered.

Buehler445
01-09-2020, 07:26 PM
I should add that my wife still thinks I need to attend the grill regularly and should not be bothered.

Well, yeah.

Boon
01-09-2020, 10:32 PM
For grilling burgers, steak, kabobs, etc. I use propane grills. Fast and get many cooks with a 20lb bottle of propane. I have a heavy steel offset for low, slow BBQ.

Just finished building a homemade cold smoker to hang 30-50 lbs of sausage in. When we make 50+ pounds of sausage we have access to an old smoke house on a farm 2 mile out of town.

F150
01-09-2020, 10:39 PM
I sold my BGE XL and bought a Weber Summit Charcoal. It does everything the egg can do with none of egg baggage....that said I still have a medium egg I like for small cooks for just wife and I'

IMHO the pellet cookers are a sort of a smoker but sort of not and cannot come close to the heat needed for serious grilling.

At last count I Have the Weber Summit Charcoal, three Weber Kettles, a Weber 22 inch Smokey Mountain and some odds and ends

I dont have a problem at all.

Peter Gibbons
01-10-2020, 09:10 AM
I sold my BGE XL and bought a Weber Summit Charcoal. It does everything the egg can do with none of egg baggage....that said I still have a medium egg I like for small cooks for just wife and I'

IMHO the pellet cookers are a sort of a smoker but sort of not and cannot come close to the heat needed for serious grilling.

At last count I Have the Weber Summit Charcoal, three Weber Kettles, a Weber 22 inch Smokey Mountain and some odds and ends

I can completely understand and I can sympathize. I have a similar affliction.

I have two Kamado Joe smoker grills (Big Joe and a Joe Jr). The PID controller only works on the Big Joe but it does keep cools easy. I also have a Weber Summit 660 built in gas grill as well as a brand new DCS 30” gas grill. This is my second DCS grill. I sold the first one with my last house. I bought the Weber and it’s a good grill, but I was never really happy with it after having a DCS previously. All of this is really a temporary solution for me. We plan to move to a new house in the next year or two. Once that happens, I plan to build a full outdoor kitchen with an Alfresco appliance setup including a pizza oven. I think at that point, I should qualify for mental health coverage for my condition.

F150
01-10-2020, 11:11 AM
I can completely understand and I can sympathize. I have a similar affliction.

I have two Kamado Joe smoker grills (Big Joe and a Joe Jr). The PID controller only works on the Big Joe but it does keep cools easy. I also have a Weber Summit 660 built in gas grill as well as a brand new DCS 30” gas grill. This is my second DCS grill. I sold the first one with my last house. I bought the Weber and it’s a good grill, but I was never really happy with it after having a DCS previously. All of this is really a temporary solution for me. We plan to move to a new house in the next year or two. Once that happens, I plan to build a full outdoor kitchen with an Alfresco appliance setup including a pizza oven. I think at that point, I should qualify for mental health coverage for my condition.

No. The rest of the bastards are kooks. You are fine.

Fire Me Boy!
01-10-2020, 12:33 PM
I have my Pit Barrel Cooker, a 40" vertical NG smoker for sausage and cold smoke, my Stampede, an Akorn, and my Blackstone. I'm pretty well stocked.

dannybcaitlyn
01-10-2020, 12:48 PM

The New Rec-Tec Bullseye will get plenty hot for grilling!

candyman
08-19-2020, 04:23 PM
About to pull the trigger on a Rec-Tec RT-590, but they're out of grill covers. Cant bring myself to let an electric grill sit out in the rain, anyone found a generic or universal cover that will fit this particular model?

On another note I REALLY wanted a Yoder but apparently they dont make the regular models anymore, just the wifi versions that cost $400+ more. I just cant get myself to spend an extra $400+ for a feature I have no desire to use.

Peter Gibbons
08-19-2020, 04:41 PM
The New Rec-Tec Bullseye will get plenty hot for grilling!

Fat fingered the rep button and hit thumbs down by mistake. Cursed Slavic hands with sausage fingers.

The Rec-Tec is an awesome piece of equipment. If my wife wasn’t home all the time now I’d try to get one in the backyard without her noticing. Damn COVID!

srvy
10-30-2021, 07:10 PM
Does anyone have the cold smoker attachment for Rectec 700 bull? I am thinking about it but oos right now.

GloryDayz
08-17-2023, 09:41 AM
One of my Scuba students is moving, just bought this Louisiana Grills Black Label pellet smoker, used it 4 time, and sold it to me for $400. I haven't grilled or smoked anything on it, I've just done temperature checks (what the grill says vs. what my external probe(s) say), and so far I'm loving it... Bluetooth and Wifi, and all the probes are within 5 degrees once temp settles and the Auger isn't playing start-up or catch-up..

https://cdn.brantfordhomehardware.ca/products/64901.jpg?v=2

jdubya
08-17-2023, 10:06 AM
One of my Scuba students is moving, just bought this Louisiana Grills Black Label pellet smoker, used it 4 time, and sold it to me for $400. I haven't grilled or smoked anything on it, I've just done temperature checks (what the grill says vs. what my external probe(s) say), and so far I'm loving it... Bluetooth and Wifi, and all the probes are within 5 degrees once temp settles and the Auger isn't playing start-up or catch-up..

Nice. Ive got the Yoder 640. Google "Malcom Reed How to BBQ right" and you'll see tons of great recipes and videos.

Dont throw away the old charcoal grill though......sometimes you just need to go back to old school grilling from time to time

tredadda
08-17-2023, 10:10 AM

That’s a very good deal. You are gonna have to share what you made when you use it.

notorious
08-17-2023, 10:12 AM

Be careful, I owned a Louisiana 10 years ago, and my brothers also. 2 of ours caught on fire, and the feed mechanism was shit.

I could never trust it to smoke, either.

Certainly the new one like you have fixed the old issues.

GloryDayz
08-17-2023, 10:31 AM
Nice. Ive got the Yoder 640. Google "Malcom Reed How to BBQ right" and you'll see tons of great recipes and videos.

Dont throw away the old charcoal grill though......sometimes you just need to go back to old school grilling from time to time

Oh, I never throw a grill/smoker away. I've got quite a few, and I love Malcom Reed's videos, he's on point... His pork belly burnt end offering is simply AMAZING!

:thumb: