PDA

View Full Version : Football Why does everyone love Sean Taylor?

JakeF
05-11-2019, 07:38 PM
I have nothing against the guy but i just don't understand. I still hear people talking/crying about how much they love Sean Taylor. Other than being a very good NFL player was there anything else to warrant such admiration?

Asking for a friend.

Titty Meat
05-11-2019, 07:39 PM
He was overrated

Gadzooks
05-11-2019, 07:44 PM
He got shot and died during his prime. Why does Everybody love Kurt Cobain, asking for a friend.

In58men
05-11-2019, 07:46 PM
He’s was 24 years old trying to protect his family and died. Terrible situation and he deserves to be praised.

TambaBerry
05-11-2019, 07:49 PM
The guy was the best safety in my opinion at that young age. Sure fire hall of famer better then Berry could have dreamed of and I loved berry

Tribal Warfare
05-11-2019, 07:52 PM
The guy was the best safety in my opinion at that young age. Sure fire hall of famer better then Berry could have dreamed of and I loved berry

Atwater with 4.4 speed

CoMoChief
05-11-2019, 08:15 PM
He hung around thugs and unfortunately Taylor pretty much got what comes with that.

RealSNR
05-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Sean Taylor was my dad, asshole!!!!!

Gadzooks
05-11-2019, 08:43 PM
He got shot and died during his prime. Why does everybody love Jimi Hendrix, asking for a friend.

Actually, I want to walk my original comment back. Jimi Hendrix changed guitar playing for generations.
Sean Taylor would be more comparable to Kurt Cobain or Jim Morrison. Popular for a short time but died while they were still relevant.

Pablo
05-11-2019, 09:10 PM
It's the Duh U stuff. And blowing that punter up in the pro bowl. I remember he was good and all, but I don't think there's some crazy amount of love for him or anything.

Pablo
05-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Sean Taylor was my dad, asshole!!!!!

Where the hell is ur dad????!!1???

RealSNR
05-11-2019, 09:35 PM
Actually, I want to walk my original comment back. Jimi Hendrix changed guitar playing for generations.
Sean Taylor would be more comparable to Kurt Cobain or Jim Morrison. Popular for a short time but died while they were still relevant.

Kurt Cobain was my uncle, asshole!!!!!!!

carcosa
05-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Shitty thread, bro

Simply Red
05-11-2019, 10:25 PM
don't remember him

Imon Yourside
05-11-2019, 10:57 PM
Was he the International Badminton Champion?

WhiteWhale
05-11-2019, 11:54 PM
I have nothing against the guy but i just don't understand. I still hear people talking/crying about how much they love Sean Taylor. Other than being a very good NFL player was there anything else to warrant such admiration?

Asking for a friend.

It's kinda weird.

I remember that one time he tried to run over two teenagers at a park.

He turned his life around, but dude was kinda fucked up there for a while.

Bump
05-11-2019, 11:55 PM
It's the Duh U stuff. And blowing that punter up in the pro bowl. I remember he was good and all, but I don't think there's some crazy amount of love for him or anything.

There's definitely a lot of love for him in Madden. People go crazy for his cards in that mut mode.

WhiteWhale
05-11-2019, 11:55 PM
He got shot and died during his prime. Why does Everybody love Kurt Cobain, asking for a friend.

Because he put a merciful bullet in the glam rock era, an act which we should ALL fucking appreciate.

WhiteWhale
05-11-2019, 11:57 PM
He hung around thugs and unfortunately Taylor pretty much got what comes with that.

I mean, he died during a break in.

He had a pretty checkered past, but the break in wasn't related. It was just some assholes who thought they could find valuable NFL merch and didn't think he'd be home.

WhiteWhale
05-12-2019, 12:00 AM

Taylor was an underachiever his first 3 years in the league.

Outstanding in his 4th.

I'd take 2016 Berry over his ass in heartbeat.

tooge
05-12-2019, 12:04 AM
He was a guy that had he continued on his projected path could’ve been a Ronnie Lott kind of safety. Sadly he was snuffed out too early. That is why he gets the praise.

suzzer99
05-12-2019, 12:09 AM
I mean, he died during a break in.

He had a pretty checkered past, but the break in wasn't related. It was just some assholes who thought they could find valuable NFL merch and didn't think he'd be home.

This. The break in had nothing to do with his past. That was just what people assumed at the time until the facts came out.

bringbackmarty
05-12-2019, 01:18 AM
https://www.redskins.com/video/nfl-sean-taylor-career-highlights-19851417
playing safety is hard. he was good, watch the film. You could have answered your own question. I am really getting sick of this place.
Y'all are dumb.'
1 sean taylor> 3 Eric Berries.

bringbackmarty
05-12-2019, 01:58 AM
To put it simply, Sean Taylor, in his few years in the league, made offenses afraid of exposing their best weapons to him. Eric Berry made a lot of great plays but didn't instill any kind of fear in anybody. Sure berry is a very hard nosed, intelligent ballplayer but Sean Taylor was a lot like Lawrence Taylor. He played the safety position like it should be played, and was holding up. One of the best athletes to play his position ever. He produced and probably would have been inducted to the hall of fame had he lived.*Just gotta call out the op for being fucking stupid. C'mon man. Watch some goddamned football. Watch 15 seconds of his highlights and you'll realize, Kc has never had a safety that played like he did. Jesus.

Mahomes15MyHomes
05-12-2019, 04:53 AM
He’s was 24 years old trying to protect his family and died. Terrible situation and he deserves to be praised.

Agree.

Why did someone wake up and make a thread knocking Taylor

In58men
05-12-2019, 05:55 AM
Agree.

Some people just need something to hate on.

Dunerdr
05-12-2019, 06:35 AM
people who die become 3x as famous. see most recently mac miller. i saw a meme about over rated things because they died i think it was cobain, stevie rae, pat tillman, and something else.

WV
05-12-2019, 07:15 AM
people who die become 3x as famous. see most recently mac miller. i saw a meme about over rated things because they died i think it was cobain, stevie rae, pat tillman, and something else.

^This....doesn't matter what level "good" he was, his young untimely death magnifies his skills.

Skyy God
05-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Agree.

Forget it, China, it’s Jaketown.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-12-2019, 07:36 AM
Why do people love Pearl Jam? God FUCK that band sucks heap big dick.

mcaj22
05-12-2019, 07:43 AM
He did break/change the safety meta. Safeies werent usually drafted as high as he was picked at the time. Safeties also get zero respect in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the bigger safeties that could a) switch between strong safety and free safety and b) slide down to LBer. This was a time when 50-70% sub packages didnt exist.

There was no market for safeties of this prototype cause it took years for coaches to figure out what to do with them. Is he a safety? is he a LBer? Taylor didnt even do anything at the combine and got picked that high. Guys like Berry and Landin Collins dont make almost 100 million without Taylor putting their meta for their prototype size on the map.

In58men
05-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Why do people love Pearl Jam? God **** that band sucks heap big dick.

Dave Matthews Band too.

Like fuck man they’re terrible

staylor26
05-12-2019, 08:12 AM
He’s one of the greatest prospects, if not the greatest, ever.

If you watched the game against FSU (my avy), it was one of the greatest performances by a defensive player that you will ever see. He completely took over the game (in the pouring rain).

The sad part is, we never got to see him reach his full potential. He was just starting to before he was killed.

ThaVirus
05-12-2019, 08:46 AM
To put it simply, Sean Taylor, in his few years in the league, made offenses afraid of exposing their best weapons to him. Eric Berry made a lot of great plays but didn't instill any kind of fear in anybody. Sure berry is a very hard nosed, intelligent ballplayer but Sean Taylor was a lot like Lawrence Taylor. He played the safety position like it should be played, and was holding up. One of the best athletes to play his position ever. He produced and probably would have been inducted to the hall of fame had he lived.*Just gotta call out the op for being fucking stupid. C'mon man. Watch some goddamned football. Watch 15 seconds of his highlights and you'll realize, Kc has never had a safety that played like he did. Jesus.

Blah blah. The league was totally different then. Sean Taylor would be neutered in today's game.

We don't know any of that. You're just romanticizing things because he died at his peak and you're assuming progression. The dude had three seasons of decent play and exploded in his last season.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Dave Matthews Band too.

Like fuck man they’re terrible
You aren't kidding. I was never so happy to see an era come and go as I was to see that mother f***** split.

Setsuna
05-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Because he died in service of our country. Oh wait....no thats right. Right? Right!?

Skyy God
05-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Forget it, China, it’s Jaketown.

Dammit.

That went over about as well as Roman Polanski at a pre-teen birthday party.

BossChief
05-12-2019, 10:55 AM
He did break/change the safety meta. Safeies werent usually drafted as high as he was picked at the time. Safeties also get zero respect in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the bigger safeties that could a) switch between strong safety and free safety and b) slide down to LBer. This was a time when 50-70% sub packages didnt exist.

There was no market for safeties of this prototype cause it took years for coaches to figure out what to do with them. Is he a safety? is he a LBer? Taylor didnt even do anything at the combine and got picked that high. Guys like Berry and Landin Collins dont make almost 100 million without Taylor putting their meta for their prototype size on the map.

Eric Turner

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-12-2019, 10:59 AM
He’s one of the greatest prospects, if not the greatest, ever.

If you watched the game against FSU (my avy), it was one of the greatest performances by a defensive player that you will ever see. He completely took over the game (in the pouring rain).

The sad part is, we never got to see him reach his full potential. He was just starting to before he was killed.

I always just assumed your name was Staylor. And that Mom and Dad had played a cruel trick on you.
:D

Simply Red
05-12-2019, 11:06 AM
I remember him now - took a minute.

jaa1025
05-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Taylor was an underachiever his first 3 years in the league.

Outstanding in his 4th.

I'd take 2016 Berry over his ass in heartbeat.

Berry was grossly overrated by fans as well early in his career. He was a good in the box but struggled in coverage. I don't think he was great until he came back from cancer and dominated in 15 and 16.

ThaVirus
05-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Berry was grossly overrated by fans as well early in his career. He was a good in the box but struggled in coverage. I don't think he was great until he came back from cancer and dominated in 15 and 16.

He made first team All-Pro in 2013. He was mainly a box safety that we charged with covering TEs. We had either the best or second best defensive statistics against TEs that season and that was thanks in very large part to Berry's coverage skills.

DeepPurple
05-12-2019, 12:10 PM
I lived in Baltimore until 2011 and with the redskins only 40 miles away, ever since Dan Snyder bought the team they've been a huge failure. They were jealous we had Ed Reed and they wanted the same, so they drafted a guy from the U and praised him like he was the second coming of Ed Reed.

Sean Taylor had a birthday party at his home in Miami for his sister. As a gift, he gave her stacks of money, I don't know how much, but right in front of everyone. And as the case so often with parties, there's people who you don't know but were invited by so and so. When the season started some of these people turned out to be thugs and figured Taylor had cash at his house, what they didn't figure was he would be at home since he was recovering from an injury. He got killed and they got prison, and redskin fans think he could of saved the team.

rabblerouser
05-12-2019, 05:35 PM
Dave Matthews Band too.

Like **** man they’re terrible

Dave Matthews Band is really good...the problem is, they always bring Dave Matthews with them.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Dave Matthews Band is really good...the problem is, they always bring Dave Matthews with them.

ROFL

ChiefsCountry
05-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Jake, Billay and CoMo don't like him. That should tell you plenty right there.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-13-2019, 07:54 PM
He almost killed a punter. In the pro bowl. Kind of a dick move tbh.

OmahaChief
05-14-2019, 10:05 AM
This video is why he is viewed the way he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nZC6EybMM

Kramerica
05-14-2019, 10:56 AM
I'll always love Joe Delaney and romanticize how good he could have become. Similar situation.

Mecca
05-14-2019, 10:57 AM
He was basically a generational college player and a really good pro player, any dude that has as much sizzle as he did is going to be well liked.

BryanBusby
05-14-2019, 11:02 AM
He almost killed a punter. In the pro bowl. Kind of a dick move tbh.
Nah. Can't complain about the pro bowl being a joke than get made because someone took it seriously (not saying you in specific complained, just a general statement)

Taylor was basically the last of a prior generation of the old time safety players who also happened to be faster than your typical old timey safety.

DJ's left nut
05-14-2019, 11:04 AM

Eh.

He was good, but wasn't he just Darren Sharper without the post-career rape? Would Sharper have coasted into the Hall without the sexual assault stuff? Man, I don't really think so.

If he played a full, healthy career (not a given for anyone), I still don't think he gets into the rarified air of guys like Reed, Lott, Woodson, etc....

Maybe Brian Dawkins? But what made Dawkins a HOFer was that he was still a great player from 31 through 36 and I don't think you can say categorically that anyone is going to be able to age that well until they actually do it.

Taylor had a very good start to his career and had put himself in a position that, had he continued to improve and then maintained his prime for a 10 year period into his mid-30s, he'd have been a HOF candidate. I just think that requires a lot of assumptions that aren't easily made in a sport where injuries are this frequent and the wall sneaks up on players a lot sooner than some expect...

Mecca
05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
He wasn't the ballhawk that Reed was but he was an odd mix of fluid athlete mixed with huge body and big hitter ability.

What really sets him apart though is his college all star film is the stuff legends are made of.

Titty Meat
05-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Jake, Billay and CoMo don't like him. That should tell you plenty right there.

I said he was overrated and please you've offered horrible takes for over a decade. Stick to selling shit property in the Ozarks.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-14-2019, 12:38 PM
I said he was overrated and please you've offered horrible takes for over a decade. Stick to selling shit property in the Ozarks.

LMAO

redfan
05-14-2019, 12:44 PM
I've got a friend who is a huge 'Skins fan. Talks about him like he was the second coming or something, even gets all misty-eyed. He was a good player, but c'mon.

JohnnyHammersticks
05-14-2019, 12:55 PM
This video is why he is viewed the way he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1nZC6EybMM

Yeah, that's pretty damn impressive.

Loved safeties like that back in the day. Him, and before him, Fulcher, Don Rogers, and my atf, Ronnie Lott. Safeties used to be vicious, the baddest dudes on the field.