PDA

View Full Version : Football Jets targeting Manning for GM position

jjchieffan
05-19-2019, 06:09 PM
Peyton Manning is a wanted man these days. Between being sought after as a commercial pitch man or a potential “Monday Night Football” announcer, the five-time MVP will have some sort of notable post-playing career.

Now comes the latest rumor: Could he be the next New York Jets general manager?
After Jets CEO and chairman Christopher Johnson announced the firing of GM Mike Maccagnan on Wednesday, NBC Sports’ Mike Florio reported that league sources believe the Jets will key in on Manning.

With no front office experience, Manning would not be a traditional hire, but that seems to fit Johnson’s MO this hiring cycle.

“It’s more than a talent evaluation guy,” Johnson said on a conference call Wednesday. “I want a great strategic thinker. A great manager. A communicator. Someone who can collaborate well with the building. And I’m convinced we’re going to find that person.”

The connection between Manning and the Jets goes back well beyond the current ownership group, which took over in 2000. As Florio pointed out, there was a rumor that Manning would have left Tennessee a year early if the Jets promised to select him first overall in 1997. However, the potential marriage did not work out, and the Jets even traded out of the first overall pick. One year later, Manning went No. 1 to the Indianapolis Colts, and the rest is history.

Hoover
05-19-2019, 06:09 PM
LOL

jjchieffan
05-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Interesting that he wanted to go to the Jets and they traded away the pick instead. That would have been interesting, having him in the same division as Brady.

Red Dawg
05-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Pathetic. I wanted Louis Riddick for us. The Jets would be better off with him. He knows his shit and can handle the job.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2019, 06:29 PM
His first job would be to fire Gase

ThaVirus
05-19-2019, 06:30 PM
The connection between Manning and the Jets goes back well beyond the current ownership group, which took over in 2000. As Florio pointed out, there was a rumor that Manning would have left Tennessee a year early if the Jets promised to select him first overall in 1997. However, the potential marriage did not work out, and the Jets even traded out of the first overall pick. One year later, Manning went No. 1 to the Indianapolis Colts, and the rest is history.

Huh. I hadn't heard that.

Pretty cool 'what if?' scenario

Frazod
05-19-2019, 06:31 PM
I'm in favor of anything that gets the motherfucker off my TV screen.

Titty Meat
05-19-2019, 06:32 PM
His first job would be to fire Gase

Why? He set records with Gase. This would be a fanstic hire.

Simply Red
05-19-2019, 06:37 PM
I think he'd do well.

chinaski
05-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Scott Pioli is available...

rtmike
05-19-2019, 06:48 PM
Why? He set records with Gase. This would be a fanstic hire.

I thought Five Head was his pimp, got him the Fins job.

HemiEd
05-19-2019, 06:48 PM
I'm in favor of anything that gets the mother****er off my TV screen.

This, exactly this. If he gets on MNF that will be just horrible.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
05-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Woody going to move the Jets to London? Maybe Madonna is available

rabblerouser
05-19-2019, 06:49 PM
GM Manning?
OK then.

jjchieffan
05-19-2019, 06:53 PM
He would probably be pretty good. But I disagree with the notion that he has no experience. He ran the Donks for 5 years. Just because ElFraud held the job title and took the credit is irrelevant. It's clear now that he's gone that ElFraud hasn't got a clue about how to run a team. If Manning wasn't there, ElFraud would have already been fired.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2019, 07:05 PM
Manning knows more about football than easily 1/3 of the league's GMs.

He's a football savant.

No doubt he will be an incredible GM.

St. Patty's Fire
05-19-2019, 07:06 PM

He's a football savant.

This reads like a post that will be hilarious to look back on in 3 years

CaliforniaChief
05-19-2019, 07:09 PM
How great would it be if he then went ahead and fired Gase?

"Sure I'll come, but Gase has to go and I'll bring in Kubiak."

Bump
05-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Peyton Manning, while being our nemesis in the past, I respect the man and it would indeed entertain me to see him act as GM for a team.

Titty Meat
05-19-2019, 07:27 PM

He's a football savant.

Let's get our hall of fame QB the GM he deserves

tredadda
05-19-2019, 07:36 PM
He would probably be pretty good. But I disagree with the notion that he has no experience. He ran the Donks for 5 years. Just because ElFraud held the job title and took the credit is irrelevant. It's clear now that he's gone that ElFraud hasn't got a clue about how to run a team. If Manning wasn't there, ElFraud would have already been fired.

Except he brought in talent based off his talent and ability to win. Big difference when he is not in the huddle. For better or worse Elway was a very good QB, but is a hilariously bad GM. Peyton might turn out the same way.

tk13
05-19-2019, 07:41 PM
I would be surprised if he took this, but if he did there's no way he'd fire Gase. Manning's basically the reason Gase got a head coaching job to begin with.

RealSNR
05-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Pathetic. I wanted Louis Riddick for us. The Jets would be better off with him. He knows his shit and can handle the job.

I also wanted Louis Riddick when we fired Dorsey.

I guess I have to re-think that position.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-19-2019, 10:54 PM
ROFL

Yes please!

jerryaldini
05-19-2019, 11:05 PM
I'm in favor of anything that gets the mother****er off my TV screen.

Yeah his "personality" is unbearable. Those insurance commercials are horrible. Who would find that shit funny? As were the pizza ones. He's just naturally annoying.

BlackOp
05-19-2019, 11:45 PM
Micheal Jordan did an excellent job as an executive.....ROFL.

Dylan
05-20-2019, 12:00 AM
hArch Manning, Cooper’s oldest son and Peyton & Eli’s nephew. ��ow about cooper'sson ARCHIE MANNING For my ex-team that might leave a mark.enter smilie https://binged.it/2JtIqnm

raidersnumber1
05-20-2019, 12:22 AM
wow seeing how desperate teams are for a decent GM and others with incompetent or flawed GMs (ie Veach, Elway etc), I am very glad that Raiders landed a stud in MayGOAT.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-20-2019, 03:00 AM
wow seeing how desperate teams are for a decent GM and others with incompetent or flawed GMs (ie Veach, Elway etc), I am very glad that Raiders landed a stud in MayGOAT.

MayCROCK and UpChucky could have every top 5 talent in the league and still manage to whip up a big ol batch of bottom feeder for you morons to enjoy.

Coochie liquor
05-20-2019, 03:02 AM

Yeah your team is awesome 66-109 in the last decade. Congrats!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190520/1c2f139c8570ed51c4a12733a8b21b19.jpg

RealSNR
05-20-2019, 05:50 AM
This tard does realize you can't just put GOAT into any name you want, right?

MayOCK. As in COCK.

Ock doesn't rhyme with goat. Doesn't share any consonants with goat. It doesn't even have the same number of letters.

Amnorix
05-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Interesting that he wanted to go to the Jets and they traded away the pick instead. That would have been interesting, having him in the same division as Brady.

:LOL: He WAS in the same division as Brady. For two years. In 2002, the Houston Texans came into the league, creating the current 32 team league as we know it.

When that happened, they realigned the NFL into eight four team divisions. As part of that, the Colts moved from the AFC East to the AFC South. In 2000 and 2001, Brady and Manning were both in the AFCE, though Brady didn't start until the third game of the 2001 season. For the record, the Pats swept the Colts that year, and in fact beating Manning's Colts were the team they played in Brady's first game ever, and resulted in Brady's first win as a starter.

Rain Man
05-20-2019, 09:15 AM
(Shrug.) He can't be worse than Elway.

FringeNC
05-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Better for the Jets than the other weak rumor that was floated -- Scott Pioli.

RunKC
05-20-2019, 09:45 AM
The Jets don’t need too much. Darnold is a decent young QB and they have some really nice pieces on defense.

Gase is horribly overrated though

Eleazar
05-20-2019, 10:00 AM
I'm still guessing Manning will end up on MNF. MNF has been ruined by ESPN and needs a boost, and they see how successful Tony Romo's move to broadcasting has been. Manning is seen as a likable person with a great football mind outside of CP, so it would probably work.

He could also make more in broadcasting than he would as a GM while doing much less work.

chinaski
05-20-2019, 10:42 AM

To be equitable and pragmatic, Veach hasn't been a GM long enough to codify a sufficient position on the matter. Once his employment has been protracted, a reasonable supposition shall be formulated.

Until then, I advise you to shut your pie hole.