PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Keeping pets off furniture

05-22-2019, 11:51 PM
The Mrs. and I recently purchased a new couch and loveseat. Unfortunately, because we didn't really give a crap about the stuff we are getting rid of, we let our cat lounge on it. Now we are in a situation that we really don't want our cat getting on it because of his claws.

Without using deadly force, aka antifreeze and the like, what are some effective and safe ideas you have used to break the behavior of jumping onto furniture all the time.

One of my biggest problems is the fact I sleep during the day and can't monitor the cat during those hours.

Right now, we just have the furniture covered with fleece blankets to keep it somewhat protected but it looks awful, obviously.

KS Smitty
05-22-2019, 11:57 PM
The Mrs. and I recently purchased a new couch and loveseat. Unfortunately, because we didn't really give a crap about the stuff we are getting rid of, we let our cat lounge on it. Now we are in a situation that we really don't want our cat getting on it because of his claws.

Without using deadly force, aka antifreeze and the like, what are some effective and safe ideas you have used to break the behavior of jumping onto furniture all the time.

One of my biggest problems is the fact I sleep during the day and can't monitor the cat during those hours.

Right now, we just have the furniture covered with fleece blankets to keep it somewhat protected but it looks awful, obviously.

Put aluminum foil where they like to scratch, a spray bottle of antifreeze (j/k use water) for when you see them there, and the attitude that they are cats and will do whatever they want anyway.

05-22-2019, 11:59 PM
Put aluminum foil where they like to scratch, a spray bottle of antifreeze (j/k use water) for when you see them there, and the attitude that they are cats and will do whatever they want anyway.

The problem with our cat isn't so much scratching but when he decides to just randomly dart away. Thats when he does his damage. Oh, and when he decides to jump up to the high back and scuffs the side.

Bump
05-23-2019, 12:04 AM
The thing about cats is, you can "teach" them not to go on your furniture and they'll know you don't want them on it, but they don't really care and will sit on it if they want to. You can tell them no and get down and they'll get down, but they'll go back when you're not looking. Source: have a cat

eDave
05-23-2019, 12:06 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51o3rV2JfwL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nickhead
05-23-2019, 12:07 AM
our four cats is why i refuse to buy new furniture. :D

Naptown Chief
05-23-2019, 12:20 AM
I haven't had a cat in several years because of allergies... I finally got sick of being congested and sneezing 24/7.

I can't say whether or not it'd work, but how about buying your cat a bed and rubbing catnip on it or unzipping it and shoving some in the stuffing? I didn't always have it out or give it to them all that often, but when I did they'd go apeshit and not move away from it until gone. They'd then kinda hover in that area, rub themselves all up on it, and sometimes fight over the right to be where it was.

Perhaps buy that bitter apple stuff meant to teach dogs/cats not to chew/scratch but use it only when the cat(s) approach couch?

Naptown Chief
05-23-2019, 12:21 AM
GL either way. I love cats and would definitely have more if not for the allergies. Fortunately I'm not AS allergic to dogs..

05-23-2019, 12:25 AM
I haven't had a cat in several years because of allergies... I finally got sick of being congested and sneezing 24/7.

I can't say whether or not it'd work, but how about buying your cat a bed and rubbing catnip on it or unzipping it and shoving some in the stuffing? I didn't always have it out or give it to them all that often, but when I did they'd go apeshit and not move away from it until gone. They'd then kinda hover in that area, rub themselves all up on it, and sometimes fight over the right to be where it was.

Perhaps buy that bitter apple stuff meant to teach dogs/cats not to chew/scratch but use it only when the cat(s) approach couch?

Thats the odd thing. Our cat doesn't even care about catnip. Doesn't have any effect on him at all.

LoneWolf
05-23-2019, 03:10 AM
Put a few mousetraps on the couch when you are sleeping during the day. The cat will jump on the couch once, but only once.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1994-01-08-1994008071-story,amp.html

threebag
05-23-2019, 03:25 AM
Just roll like you have been and buy new furniture again in a couple years. No problem

FlaChief58
05-23-2019, 03:27 AM
Dispose of the cat and get a dog

Mecca
05-23-2019, 06:12 AM
That apple stuff only works on some cats, some of them will lick it like yea whatever, same with water, some cats will look at you like yea whatever dude.

I have 4 cats and I've learned they pretty much do what they want, trying to keep them off something as big as a couch if you aren't going to be there 24/7 with someone always awake is nearly impossible.

The only reason they don't rip down my christmas tree is because they aren't allowed out alone while it's up.

jjchieffan
05-23-2019, 06:22 AM
Easy solution. Keep the animals outside the house where they belong. Problem solved.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Easy solution. Keep the animals outside the house where they belong. Problem solved.

Cats are small and generally considered in house animals you know...

rhinson1380
05-23-2019, 06:24 AM
It only cost me about $50 to put our dog down a couple years ago.

baitism
05-23-2019, 06:28 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DearCharmingCrocodileskink-size_restricted.gif

scho63
05-23-2019, 07:28 AM
30 years ago I bought an ex-girlfriend a Siamese Seal Point kitten as a Christmas gift. As the little bugger grew, he began jumping on the kitchen table and counter, a big no-no.

We created a squirt bottle with lemon water and when he jumped on the counter or table, we squirted him with a single stream of two to three squirts.

He hated the water and when he licked it off, he hated he lemon worse. Took about two weeks and no more jumping on the counter or kitchen table.

Fish
05-23-2019, 07:30 AM
If they were allowed on the previous furniture, then you're likely fucked. You're not going to win that battle. If you train them that way from birth, you can beat it into their heads eventually. But you can't expect them to change known behavior like that. Especially with lounging spots they prefer. A better consideration might be to trim their claws on a routine basis.

Frosty
05-23-2019, 07:47 AM
If you don't have one, get a cat tree (or two) so the cat has somewhere else to sleep (and scratch). Also, if the cat never goes outside, you can get claw covers (https://www.wwwallaboutcats.com/cat-claw-covers) that will help reduce the damage.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
05-23-2019, 07:49 AM
Do you have a functional time machine?

srvy
05-23-2019, 07:59 AM
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5100/7g4m0/products/138389/images/753966/DSC_0584__77397.1537894968.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

Mecca
05-23-2019, 08:01 AM
If you don't have one, get a cat tree (or two) so the cat has somewhere else to sleep (and scratch). Also, if the cat never goes outside, you can get claw covers (https://www.wwwallaboutcats.com/cat-claw-covers) that will help reduce the damage.

Those things are impossible to get on the cat, you'll be battered and bloody when done.

KCUnited
05-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Leave a cardboard box on the furniture, problem solved.

tman
05-23-2019, 08:42 AM
https://www.razorwireuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/flat-profile5.jpg

Naptown Chief
05-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Who's more dominant, you or the cat? You could always 'spray' the furniture to let him/her know who's boss..

tman
05-23-2019, 08:47 AM
https://assets.change.org/photos/9/iw/fm/RMIwFmxjIKaEAmH-800x450-noPad.jpg?1521032631

tman
05-23-2019, 09:21 AM
Indoor Pet Barrier - "https://store.petsafe.net/pawz-away-mini-pet-barrier"

Perineum Ripper
05-23-2019, 09:21 AM
Who's more dominant, you or the cat? You could always 'spray' the furniture to let him/her know who's boss..

Yep.

Just piss all over the new furniture, and establish dominance

Iowanian
05-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Keeping them outside where pets belong is the best, proven method.

stevieray
05-23-2019, 09:34 AM
squirt bottle

bull whip

flamethrower

Frosty
05-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Those things are impossible to get on the cat, you'll be battered and bloody when done.

You have to be stealthy and sneak one at a time on. Wait until the cat is asleep, put the glue on a cover, rush in and jam it on a claw before the cat is fully awake, recover from the bites and scratches, rinse and repeat.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Also I have a cat that has eye allergies, that is far worse than this.......basically I have to keep a cone on hand at all times because at least 4 times a year I have to cone him because his face on one side will be swollen and his eye will be all fucked up for no reason...of course you have to cone him because he won't leave it alone.

loochy
05-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Wait, you're going to have animals inside but not let them on furniture? That's kind of wrong.

Frosty
05-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Also I have a cat that has eye allergies, that is far worse than this.......basically I have to keep a cone on hand at all times because at least 4 times a year I have to cone him because his face on one side will be swollen and his eye will be all fucked up for no reason...of course you have to cone him because he won't leave it alone.

I have a cat that rubs her face on everything. There must be something she is allergic to because every now and then her lip on the side will get really swollen. maybe it's something like that with yours.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 10:37 AM
I have a cat that rubs her face on everything. There must be something she is allergic to because every now and then her lip on the side will get really swollen. maybe it's something like that with yours.

Some cats are just weird, like benadryl helps but they hate it.

Skyy God
05-23-2019, 10:57 AM

Declaw. Your. Cat.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Declaw. Your. Cat.

That is actually really cruel.....it would be like if I cut your fingers off at the last joint.

Skyy God
05-23-2019, 11:05 AM
That is actually really cruel.....it would be like if I cut your fingers off at the last joint.

Sure. De-barking a dog is also kinda cruel.

They're also way better than antifreeze.

Frosty
05-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Are there even any vets anymore that will declaw a cat? It seems most won't even consider it.

I wish you could declaw a dog safely. :#

Skyy God
05-23-2019, 11:08 AM
After some research, I'm off declawing.

"They found that declawed cats were seven times more likely to pee in inappropriate places, four times more likely to bite people, three times more likely to be aggressive, and three times more likely to overgroom themselves. In addition, the declawed cats were three times more likely to be diagnosed with back pain (possibly because they had to modify their gait due to their missing toe bones) and/or chronic pain in their paws."

https://www.popsci.com/declaw-your-cat#page-2

Mecca
05-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Yea, my parents did it but they don't anymore, I don't think people realized it's a mean practice.

eDave
05-23-2019, 11:14 AM
De-clawing is NOT a viable option. Be better to your pets.

loochy
05-23-2019, 11:15 AM
De-clawing is NOT a viable option. Be better to your pets.

Yeah, be nice to them...like saying "hey you can live in this house but you can't sit on the damn chair"?

Mecca
05-23-2019, 11:17 AM
I don't know why people get all weird about the cat on the couch. He isn't a 200lb dog smashing it down, is he clawing the shit out of it? If so then yea something needs to be done about it but what if he just sleeps there?

What's the issue? And if someone says oh animal hair....you knew there was going to be animal hair when you got him.

eDave
05-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Yeah, be nice to them...like saying "hey you can live in this house but you can't sit on the damn chair"?

My two cats can do whatever they want. They don't scratch furniture though.

I laid a piece of cardboard on the floor and they stretch their claws on that. It floats around the house.

Sometimes they stretch them on the carpet but not in a concentrated spot.

Frazod
05-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Declawing has definitely fallen out of favor. So unless you're willing to go that route, which most don't anymore, basically, you're screwed.

Cat's going to do what cat wants to do. The End. Much like a terminator, it can't be reasoned with or bargained with, and it absolutely will not stop, ever. We've got four of the goddamn things and pretty much everything in my house is engaged in some level of cat destruction. I've got one that sometimes shreds toilet paper. Another one that destroys shoelaces, drawstrings and cords. Another one that uses the basement door frame as a scratch post. And the couch and love seat have been long since destroyed and are eternally shrouded with couch covers.

It is what it is. But I don't have to walk them, and the wife cleans the shitboxes.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 11:23 AM
I mean are they like legit tearing up furniture? If they are they need toys and some play time to focus their energy.

The my cat from hell show on animal planet is really informative on things like this.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2019, 11:28 AM
You are screwed. You could try citrus spray/oil - most cats detest the scent/taste of that. But I doubt it will work.

Frosty
05-23-2019, 11:32 AM
I mean are they like legit tearing up furniture? If they are they need toys and some play time to focus their energy.

The my cat from hell show on animal planet is really informative on things like this.

My cats stopped clawing furniture once we got them a cat tree. We actually have several small trees through the house so they have options. When they were kittens, we didn't realize that and they shredded one of our chairs. Now they don't scratch on furniture at all.

Chief Roundup
05-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Cats = probably screwed. Cats can be trainable but it is a long term commitment to constantly getting it off of the couch with negative reinforcement. You might stand a better chance if it had its own "place" that you can put it when you remove it from the couch with positive reinforcement.

Discuss Thrower
05-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Having house pets.

Having nice furniture.

Pick one.

T-post Tom
05-23-2019, 11:49 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51o3rV2JfwL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'd whisper to her kitty.

KCUnited
05-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Cat going to thoroughly check out anything new that comes into the house, but cat also going to pick an empty Amazon Prime box over furniture. If I want my cat to stop fucking with something, I'll strategically place a box nearby, neutralizes his ass.

T-post Tom
05-23-2019, 11:52 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Sofa-Scram-So...gateway&sr=8-7

or possibly

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Cats-Net...gateway&sr=8-6

ModSocks
05-23-2019, 12:04 PM
I have a cat that tries to sleep on the couch arm rest when he can. I knock his ass off it whenever i see it.

Problem is, i have a dog that thinks she's a cat. She saw the cat doing it now she tries to lay there too...

srvy
05-23-2019, 12:22 PM
After some research, I'm off declawing.

"They found that declawed cats were seven times more likely to pee in inappropriate places, four times more likely to bite people, three times more likely to be aggressive, and three times more likely to overgroom themselves. In addition, the declawed cats were three times more likely to be diagnosed with back pain (possibly because they had to modify their gait due to their missing toe bones) and/or chronic pain in their paws."

https://www.popsci.com/declaw-your-cat#page-2

Whats the downside?

RedRaider56
05-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Cats are small and generally considered in house animals you know...

We kept our cats outside (as I'm highly allergic to cats). Unfortunately, we had 7 cats disappear over a 10 year period. We think they were primarily grabbed by coyotes or barn owls, although we know a couple of them wandered off for a couple of years before showing back up at the house.

Despite our desire to have a cat around to keep snakes and other critter at bay, we have given up on it due to the cats disappearing at an alarming rate.

T-post Tom
05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
We kept our cats outside (as I'm highly allergic to cats). Unfortunately, we had 7 cats disappear over a 10 year period. We think they were primarily grabbed by coyotes or barn owls, although we know a couple of them wandered off for a couple of years before showing back up at the house.

Despite our desire to have a cat around to keep snakes and other critter at bay, we have given up on it due to the cats disappearing at an alarming rate.

This chick may have lured your cats away:

BWillie
05-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Give up. Get a scratching post, just make the cat scratch the post. But you won't be able to stop your cat from doing anything. Maybe when you are there the cat won't do it. But as soon as you leave, he's going to rub his ass on everything. I've seen it with my own eyes and security camera. I just don't care anymore.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 01:45 PM
It's a cat, it's in charge, if you are nice to them they can generally be good animals but expecting it to do things that even a 5 year old would be hard pressed to do is asking a lot.

Frazod
05-23-2019, 01:52 PM
One of my cats used to play fetch. I'd throw a ball, he'd run and get it and bring it back just like a dog.

Then one day he just quit doing it.

I don't want to fetch anymore. Fuck you.

Life with cats. :D

Discuss Thrower
05-23-2019, 02:03 PM
It's a cat, it's in charge, if you are nice to them they can generally be good animals but expecting it to do things that even a 5 year old would be hard pressed to do is asking a lot.

Four thousand years ago, the ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as incarnations of one of their important gods.

Cats have yet to forget this fact.

05-23-2019, 02:19 PM
I don't know why people get all weird about the cat on the couch. He isn't a 200lb dog smashing it down, is he clawing the shit out of it? If so then yea something needs to be done about it but what if he just sleeps there?

What's the issue? And if someone says oh animal hair....you knew there was going to be animal hair when you got him.I don't care about the fur. That's easy. He has a tendency to dart away and leave scratches on the fabric. This fabric was sold to us as pet safe, but one day in and there is already a visible scratch. Stuck with it now. If I could get him to stop the darting there really wouldn't be an issue. Looks ridiculous having to keep fleece blankets on it all the time.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 02:20 PM
I don't care about the fur. That's easy. He has a tendency to dart away and leave scratches on the fabric. This fabric was sold to us as pet safe, but one day in and there is already a visible scratch. Stuck with it now. If I could get him to stop the darting there really wouldn't be an issue. Looks ridiculous having to keep fleece blankets on it all the time.

Does it happen when he's playing? Do you have another cat and they screw with each other and that's when it happens?

srvy
05-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Four thousand years ago, the ancient Egyptians worshiped cats as incarnations of one of their important gods.

Cats have yet to forget this fact.

Yeah well i'm not Egyptian.

LoneWolf
05-23-2019, 02:22 PM
I don't care about the fur. That's easy. He has a tendency to dart away and leave scratches on the fabric. This fabric was sold to us as pet safe, but one day in and there is already a visible scratch. Stuck with it now. If I could get him to stop the darting there really wouldn't be an issue. Looks ridiculous having to keep fleece blankets on it all the time.

Can't you just have the little piece of shit declawed?

05-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Does it happen when he's playing? Do you have another cat and they screw with each other and that's when it happens?Nope. One cat. He will be sitting there doing nothing then BAM darts off. He has no interest in cat toys at all. Right now I just pick him up and move him to one of the two chairs we don't mind him being on. He was never into our other two couches. But something about these he likes. Using a squirt bottle for now, but all that is doing is making him afraid of me which isn't what I want.

Mecca
05-23-2019, 02:29 PM
The fabric probably feels weird on his feet, I have a rug that has an odd texture and one of my cats thinks its for pooping.

Do things to make him like the chairs more, do things like put a blanket in it, cats love them, get some catnip spray and spray it into the blanket, that should make him want to go there.

LoneWolf
05-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Did you read the article I linked about mousetraps?

Frosty
05-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Nope. One cat. He will be sitting there doing nothing then BAM darts off. He has no interest in cat toys at all. Right now I just pick him up and move him to one of the two chairs we don't mind him being on. He was never into our other two couches. But something about these he likes. Using a squirt bottle for now, but all that is doing is making him afraid of me which isn't what I want.

It's because it's new. Cats love to sit on new things. Get him something newer (bed, tree, etc) and he will probably switch to that.

Jewish Rabbi
05-23-2019, 03:21 PM
Have you tried kitten mittens?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jP_ze_vmlj8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
05-23-2019, 03:58 PM
We declawed our cat. Come at me.

BryanBusby
05-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Can always move it to Clay's house. Ain't no pussy getting on the furniture there.

Rain Man
05-23-2019, 05:03 PM
My wife sprays water at me, and it's generally effective.

As long as she's home. When she's gone, I'm all over the furniture.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-23-2019, 06:13 PM
One of my cats used to play fetch. I'd throw a ball, he'd run and get it and bring it back just like a dog.

Then one day he just quit doing it.

I don't want to fetch anymore. **** you.

Life with cats. :D

My daughters cat does that. Fetches just like a dog. I thought he was the only one.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-23-2019, 06:14 PM
Can't you just have the little piece of shit declawed?

Thats the worst thing you could do to a cat.

eDave
05-23-2019, 06:26 PM
My daughters cat does that. Fetches just like a dog. I thought he was the only one.

My little Momo did that. It was so cute.

Then a Coyote ate her and I was sad for a long time.

I've got a cat now, the one I rescued, that comes when I call her. Better than any dog I ever had.

Frazod
05-23-2019, 06:51 PM

Well, he is now. :D

LoneWolf
05-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Thats the worst thing you could do to a cat.

Why? Why does a house cat need claws? So they can defend themselves against armed intruders?

JD10367
05-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Also I have a cat that has eye allergies, that is far worse than this.......basically I have to keep a cone on hand at all times because at least 4 times a year I have to cone him because his face on one side will be swollen and his eye will be all ****ed up for no reason...of course you have to cone him because he won't leave it alone.

It’s actually probably herpes. Shitloads of cats have it. In humans herpes manifests in the lips, in cats it’s the eyes. You can buy lysine powder to sprinkle on the food, but it’ll still pop up especially if the cat is stressed.

Frazod
05-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Nope. One cat. He will be sitting there doing nothing then BAM darts off. He has no interest in cat toys at all. Right now I just pick him up and move him to one of the two chairs we don't mind him being on. He was never into our other two couches. But something about these he likes. Using a squirt bottle for now, but all that is doing is making him afraid of me which isn't what I want.

You could get some sort of fabric that approximates the color of the couch and use two sided tape to secure it to the arms when he usually sits.

Not an ideal solution, but it would probably work. Mostly. Of course, there's gonna be that date when he gets spooked and tears ass across the cushions ripping the shit out of them. It is inevitable.

mlyonsd
05-23-2019, 09:02 PM
You allowed the cat to get on the furniture in the first place so expecting it to understand it's wrong now is only going to make it afraid of you if you physically try to keep it off. You can try a plastic tarp but that will probably fail.

Declaw him/her, get used to it, or find a new home for it.

05-23-2019, 09:09 PM
You allowed the cat to get on the furniture in the first place so expecting it to understand it's wrong now is only going to make it afraid of you if you physically try to keep it off. You can try a plastic tarp but that will probably fail.

Declaw him/her, get used to it, or find a new home for it. picking him up and moving him to a different spot is not going to make him afraid of me. Get out of here with that bullshit.

Fish
05-23-2019, 09:19 PM
So what if you covered it in truck bed spray liner? Too firm?

05-23-2019, 09:26 PM
So what if you covered it in truck bed spray liner? Too firm?LMAO I don't think the Mrs would go for it.

Mecca
05-24-2019, 07:25 AM
It’s actually probably herpes. Shitloads of cats have it. In humans herpes manifests in the lips, in cats it’s the eyes. You can buy lysine powder to sprinkle on the food, but it’ll still pop up especially if the cat is stressed.

I've actually had this suggested by a few people but the vet says it's not. He literally shows no symptoms other than the eyes. Also he doesn't have goopy discharge, he just has swelling and some issues with the 3rd eye lid and they go away quickly.

RedRaider56
05-24-2019, 10:18 AM
This chick may have lured your cats away:

You might be right! ROFL

Bwana
05-24-2019, 10:40 AM
I have no idea if these work? :shrug:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-44x17Adjustable-Multi-function-Repellent-Protection/dp/B07Q36LPFB/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2RIEQHD8FZGB&keywords=shock+mats+for+dogs&qid=1558715868&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=shock+matt%2Cpets%2C264&sr=1-12

Vannz
08-24-2020, 06:21 AM
The cats ruined all my furniture, now I have to buy a new one.