PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Jimmy's Steakhouse Columbia Meat Marinade

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-01-2019, 11:18 AM
The greek family of steakhouses in Columbia, Mo are masters of perfectly preparing the proverbial 2 dollar steak. When you watch them at the grill, they pull the steaks out of a bucket of marinade, then throw them on the grill.

I don't think the magic happens on the grill, it happens in the bucket.

I'm sure there is some MSG involved. Possibly even more MSG than that.

It has been years since I have lived in Columbia, so I can't create something similar from memory.

Anybody got any ideas for recreating Jimmy's marinade?

Or any steak marinade using MSG?

I would never bastardize a real steak. But I am a sucker for those steaks in the meat cooler that look like gorgeous hunks of cow, yet are selling for a few magic beans. I am all too willing to trade my magic beans for that hunk of cow.

I have come to the realization that I am not going to be able to change, so I must change the way I prepare these beauties.

I am okay with breaking out the nukes (MSG) to win this one. If you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em I always say.

Dinny

gblowfish
06-01-2019, 11:24 AM
Is this like the G&D Steakhouse in Columbia? Been a long time since I've eaten there.

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-01-2019, 11:31 AM
Yeah, gblow.

There is a huge extended greek family that have a whole bunch of restaurants there.

They are all named "- - - - - -'s Steakhouse.

They all sold the same cheap steaks in the same marinade.

There were several lovely daughters waitressing in some of their joints.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-01-2019, 11:34 AM
I could be wrong, but I thought Jimmy's was the first one, it may have been the G&D.

One of them started and the rest of them flocked.

Their restaurants were very popular with the locals when I lived there.

Dinny

gblowfish
06-01-2019, 11:35 AM
G&D was on 9th St. a couple of doors down from Booche's back when I was at Mizzou in the late 1970s. Last time I was in Columbia it had moved out to around Stadium and Broadway in a strip mall. Their steaks were never like Hereford House, but weren't meant to be. It was a place where a college kid could get a decent meal and be able to afford it. Still is, I suppose.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-01-2019, 11:43 AM
G&D was on 9th St. a couple of doors down from Booche's back when I was at Mizzou in the late 1970s. Last time I was in Columbia it had moved out to around Stadium and Broadway in a strip mall. Their steaks were never like Hereford House, but weren't meant to be. It was a place where a college kid could get a decent meal and be able to afford it. Still is, I suppose.

There are two G&D's, one steakhouse by Best Buy by the mall and a pizzeria on Broadway and Stadium.

Jimmy's is out by Green Meadows.

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-01-2019, 11:48 AM
Okay. I was confusing G&D with Jimmy's.

It was G&D first.

It was Jimmy's that had a waitress with enormous talents.

By now I'm sure we could see what a shame gravity can be.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-01-2019, 11:57 AM
So. About that marinade. Anybody got any ideas?

I've got to watch a ballgame in a few minutes, so I'll be back after while.

I hope everyone will realize what a noble and worthwhile mission I am on and contribute to the complete limit so I might be successful.

Thank you.

Dinny

vailpass
06-01-2019, 12:06 PM
(keeps looking in for a marinade recipe, keeps being disappoint)

gblowfish
06-01-2019, 12:11 PM
So. About that marinade. Anybody got any ideas?

I've got to watch a ballgame in a few minutes, so I'll be back after while.

I hope everyone will realize what a noble and worthwhile mission I am on and contribute to the complete limit so I might be successful.

Thank you.

Dinny

Maybe if you write them an email, they'll tell you. Unless it's secret sauce?

excessive
06-01-2019, 01:08 PM
It's not rocket science. It's cooking. Work from a basic recipe and tweak for what's on hand or how you like it.

First, use a fork and stab the hell out of that steak, both sides please. A few more is always better than a few less.

Put beef in a plastic bag or other receptacle, bowl , etc.

Here's a teriyaki style version (essentially just means you add sugar). Mix ingredients in a bowl or add directly to bag.

Soy sauce
About 2 to 1 ratio, sauce to oil
Olive oil
Chopped garlic, lots
chopped onion, yeah what garlic said
crushed red to preference
Msg, follow package directions
black pepper
sugar, honey, brown sugar, whatever you prefer, not too much though

I usually let sit all day or overnight, but I don't usually use msg. I'd follow package directions, but longer is usually better than shorter. Don't worry about measuring ingredients. Do what feels right.

O.city
06-01-2019, 02:53 PM
G&d right by Best Buy. We used to eat there 4 times in a weekend when we’d go up for the state tournament.

chinaski
06-01-2019, 03:15 PM
You ever try something like Montreal Steak Seasoning? They do make a Montreal Steak marinade, I have seen it at the store.

stumppy
06-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Pretty damn good.

Marinade a Ribeye for 3 - 4 hours, Tenderloin 5 - 6 hrs, chicken breast 5-6 hrs.

They have original, hickory, teriyaki, hot and spicy. Maybe more.