PDA

View Full Version : Football Least Deserving Hall of Famers: San Francisco 49ers

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 01:38 PM
VOTE FOR THREE.

With all of the talk about undeserving people in the Hall of Fame, I thought it might be interesting to identify the absolute least deserving people in the Hall of Fame.

I'll do this first for players, identifying the least deserving players by team, and then we'll do a heat or two for non-players.

Poll coming in less time than it takes for the 49ers to build a 20 point lead on the Broncos in a Super Bowl.

You can read profiles of the players here, in a very unfriendly format on the HoF site: https://www.profootballhof.com/heroe...me/franchises/

Rules note: If a team has less than 10 HoFers, I'll combine them with another team to get to that number.

ThaVirus
06-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Steve Young was fucking incredible.

... I have nothing further to add.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Steve Young was fucking incredible.

... I have nothing further to add.

He's very underrated.

But here's something interesting I didn't know about him. NFL Network has been showing ancient reruns of the quarterback challenge, and they had one on last week that was from 1994 or so.

One of the events was simply a long-throw contest. The quarterbacks just heaved the ball as far as they could.

And man, Steve Young was a pipsqueak. The winning quarterbacks (can't remember who) were at 73 to 74 yards, and they commented that Vinny Testaverde held the record from a previous year at 80. All of the quarterbacks were clustered from about 67 yards to 73 yards except Steve Young, who was at 54 yards. And apparently this was normal, as he'd participated before with the same result.

He was a big strong guy so I was shocked that he would have not only the weakest arm, but the weakest by a long shot.

big nasty kcnut
06-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Bob st clair is not a man he eat his meat raw. Don't vote against him.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 07:05 PM
Reviews:

Bob St. Clair - 11 seasons, 4 all-pros at tackle. Ate his meat raw, as kcnut says. Massive, massive guy for his era at 6-9 and 260+ pounds.

Charles Haley - 12 seasons, 2 all-pros at OLB and DE. Twice named the NFC defensive player of the year. 100.5 career sacks.

Dave Wilcox - 11 seasons, 5 all-pros. Well regarded as a strong side linebacker controlling tight ends.

Hugh McElhenny - 13 seasons at running back, with over 11,000 combined yards (8,500 yards from scrimmage). Running and receiving threat. 4.7 ypc rushing over his career, and was known for electrifying plays.

Jerry Rice - 20 seasons at WR, holds NFL career records for receptions, yards, and touchdowns. Had 14 1,000-yard seasons. Pretty productive overall.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Jimmy Johnson - 16 seasons at cornerback, 4 all pros, 47 interceptions. Known as one of the first shutdown corners, as quarterbacks tended to avoid his side of the field.

Joe Montana - Don't even think about it.

Joe Perry - 16 seasons at running back, over 9,700 rushing yards. First NFL player to have back to back 1,000 yard rushing seasons. Averaged 4.8 ypc over his career. Known as "The Jet". Never played for the Jets.

Leo Nomellini - 14 seasons at defensive tackle, 6 all pros. Never missed a game. All-pro selections at both defensive tackle and offensive tackle. Never missed a game, also a member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. Known as "The Lion". Never played for the Lions.

Ronnie Lott - 14 seasons, 8 all-pros even though Deron Cherry was better. Recorded 63 interceptions. Played all four defensive back positions, and was a pro bowler at cornerback, free safety, and strong safety. Really good safety, almost as good as Deron Cherry.

Steve Young - 15 seasons, led the league in passing yards six times (tied with Sammy Baugh for all-time most seasons leading league). 33,000 career passing yards. Two-time NFL MVP. Noted for signing a 40-year contract with the USFL.

Terrell Owens - 15 seasons damaging teams' morale, over 1,000 receptions and over 15,000 receiving yards. 153 receiving TDs is second-highest in NFL history, while yardage ranks third all time. Greatest player ever, according to his web site.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Overall, this is a pretty deserving group. I've got nothing against most of these guys. My votes against players would be:

1. Dave Wilcox. I saw the tail end of his career. He was fine. Not the best, but fine.

2. Charles Haley. He was good. I'll give him that. But he went from one strong team to another, and I think he gets too much credit for the Super Bowl rings.

3. Terrell Owens. Stats are amazing. Strongly dislike the player, so I'm voting against him with my third vote.

ThaVirus
06-02-2019, 07:43 PM
He's very underrated.

But here's something interesting I didn't know about him. NFL Network has been showing ancient reruns of the quarterback challenge, and they had one on last week that was from 1994 or so.

One of the events was simply a long-throw contest. The quarterbacks just heaved the ball as far as they could.

And man, Steve Young was a pipsqueak. The winning quarterbacks (can't remember who) were at 73 to 74 yards, and they commented that Vinny Testaverde held the record from a previous year at 80. All of the quarterbacks were clustered from about 67 yards to 73 yards except Steve Young, who was at 54 yards. And apparently this was normal, as he'd participated before with the same result.

He was a big strong guy so I was shocked that he would have not only the weakest arm, but the weakest by a long shot.

Funny you mention it because I saw a similar (or maybe the same) clip the other day. IIRC, I saw Favre, Bledsoe, Kordell Stewart and Steve McNair. What a blast from the past.

But, yeah. Just goes to show that arm strength isn't required to be an elite QB. Young and Brees have relatively weak arms. Peyton and Brady in their old age lost some heat. I don't think Montana had a particularly strong arm either but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Funny you mention it because I saw a similar (or maybe the same) clip the other day. IIRC, I saw Favre, Bledsoe, Kordell Stewart and Steve McNair. What a blast from the past.

But, yeah. Just goes to show that arm strength isn't required to be an elite QB. Young and Brees have relatively weak arms. Peyton and Brady in their old age lost some heat. I don't think Montana had a particularly strong arm either but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I wonder what Montana's range was, but i doubt that he would lower himself to competing in a quarterback challenge.

But yeah, he had a reputation for not having a strong arm. Steve Young, though, shocks me. Young was a big guy.

rabblerouser
06-02-2019, 08:09 PM
I misread, thought it was 3 most deserving.

My bad. This is me not on weed.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 08:13 PM
I misread, thought it was 3 most deserving.

My bad. This is me not on weed.

I was thinking that perhaps I needed to have a serious football discussion with you.

Deberg_1990
06-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Joe Montan.............................

I kid, i kid!!

oldman
06-02-2019, 09:29 PM
Overall, this is a pretty deserving group. I've got nothing against most of these guys. My votes against players would be:

1. Dave Wilcox. I saw the tail end of his career. He was fine. Not the best, but fine.

2. Charles Haley. He was good. I'll give him that. But he went from one strong team to another, and I think he gets too much credit for the Super Bowl rings.

3. Terrell Owens. Stats are amazing. Strongly dislike the player, so I'm voting against him with my third vote.

Again, I gave the ones I didn't see play or not enough a pass. I really felt Tittle should have been with the 49ers rather than in the other group. His glory days were in SF. Otherwise, I agree.

Rain Man
06-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Again, I gave the ones I didn't see play or not enough a pass. I really felt Tittle should have been with the 49ers rather than in the other group. His glory days were in SF. Otherwise, I agree.

Yeah, I kind of messed up Tittle. I didn't have my system down yet. But I wouldn't expect him to miss the cut on either team.

tatorhog
06-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Who's the Rice guy?

Glad we went with Ethan Horton at 15 and let that dead weight guy fall to SF at 16.

rabblerouser
06-03-2019, 01:44 PM
I was thinking that perhaps I needed to have a serious football discussion with you.

If there's anything I understand implicitly, it's football...

I'm clinically depressed, glaucomic, and not allowed to smoke weed. Bad combo, make head all fucky-fucky.

rabblerouser
06-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Glad we went with Ethan Horton at 15 and let that dead weight guy fall to SF at 16.

That's almost as bad as Blackledge over Marino in '83.

Almost.

Man, Jack Steadman SUCKED.

tatorhog
06-03-2019, 02:05 PM
That's almost as bad as Blackledge over Marino in '83.

Almost.

Man, Jack Steadman SUCKED.

Marino to Rice? He deserves to be hung.

Is that more or less painful to completely miss like that? Or to have drafted guys like Bob Lilly, Roger Staubach, and Gale Sayers, only to never see them suit up?

MarkDavis'Haircut
06-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Honestly, all they seem to be deserving.

Amnorix
06-03-2019, 02:54 PM
As usual with these -- all of these players that I saw play deserves their enshrinement.

Rain Man
06-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Is that more or less painful to completely miss like that? Or to have drafted guys like Bob Lilly, Roger Staubach, and Gale Sayers, only to never see them suit up?

With the second group, it's the players' fault that they didn't sign with our fine organization. I can excuse the Chiefs, as long as they were in the battle. With the first group, the Chiefs flat-out whiffed.

rabblerouser
06-03-2019, 04:26 PM

Funny that he had to beg Lamar to fire him and hire Peterson after that.

"No, Lamar...we could've had Marino throwing to Rice and Paige. I don't think I'm very good at this job..."

ThaVirus
06-03-2019, 04:48 PM
I wonder what Montana's range was, but i doubt that he would lower himself to competing in a quarterback challenge.

But yeah, he had a reputation for not having a strong arm. Steve Young, though, shocks me. Young was a big guy.

According to the web, Young was only 6'2" 215. Smaller than Elway who apparently was only 215 as well, which is crazy because in my child perception that dude was like 240. Smaller than Favre, smaller than Aikman.

It was probably the padding making him appear so large. Young didn't mind taking off from the pocket.

Rain Man
06-03-2019, 05:13 PM
According to the web, Young was only 6'2" 215. Smaller than Elway who apparently was only 215 as well, which is crazy because in my child perception that dude was like 240. Smaller than Favre, smaller than Aikman.

It was probably the padding making him appear so large. Young didn't mind taking off from the pocket.

Wow. My memory of Young is that he was a hoss. Apparently I was wrong.

GloucesterChief
06-03-2019, 09:35 PM
Football players were smaller back then. The Cowboys having a couple OL cracking 300 lbs was a big deal back in the early 90s.

Anyway, it is a shame that Ricky Watters isn't in the HoF while flash in the pans like Terrell Davis are.

ThaVirus
06-04-2019, 04:46 PM
You guys can't see because I scrubbed the evidence, but I thought Gloucester had called Terrell Owens a flash in the pan lol

I went off.

ThaVirus
06-07-2019, 03:39 PM
OK, so this is the one I had stumbled upon. Weird, because I just saw it posted somewhere else as well. It's from 1998.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wDUyf2OpQc&feature=player_embedded

Young actually hit over 60 in this one but the commentators mentioned that they'd be surprised if he hit over 50. Definitely known for having a weak arm.

Fast forward to 30:45 for another blast from the past.. Elvis fucking GrBac lol