PDA

View Full Version : News -- RIP Mike Zarda

Simply Red
06-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear of this

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of Mike Zarda. Mike passed away peacefully surrounded by family on Sunday, June 2, 2019, after a brief illness. Mike was one of Zarda Bar-B-Q’s founding brothers and will be missed immensely. Please keep the Zarda family & staff in your thoughts as they go through this difficult time.

We will share arrangements as soon as we are able.

https://www.facebook.com/ZardaBBQ/photos/rpp.165390803563/10156835795773564/?type=3&theater

You made some kick ass food over the years, RIP Michelle!

-Rowena

rabblerouser
06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
RIP, BBQ man.

Respect.

cooper barrett
06-03-2019, 08:45 PM
I always thought that their ribs, day in, day out were the best in KC. (I am talking over a 25 year period) Others make better but not consistently.

Thanks for posting SR

Gary Berbiglia ( Bryants Joes) died after what was called a short illness, a few months back. As I recall they were both big boys.

RIP Mike, keep on smoking Steve.

Hammock Parties
06-03-2019, 08:56 PM
been waitin for ya mike

they don't clog enough arteries up here

https://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/images/arthur-bryant-kitchen.jpg

2bikemike
06-03-2019, 09:17 PM
I used to be a Stock Boy back in the day at Zarda Dairy. I always assumed the BBQ was from the same family. Don't know if that's true or not.

Simply Red
06-03-2019, 09:32 PM
I used to be a Stock Boy back in the day at Zarda Dairy. I always assumed the BBQ was from the same family. Don't know if that's true or not.

yeah - he was Mike's brother.

cooper barrett
06-03-2019, 09:56 PM
yeah - he was Mike's brother.

Ben and Tom were cousins to Mike and Steve.

chinaski
06-03-2019, 10:15 PM
RIP. I remember eating at Zarda in Blue Springs when I was a kid, I always liked it. :)

You in KC might complain about Zarda not being the best BBQ in town, but I guarantee you that it is leaps and bounds better than ANYTHING in the Los Angeles area. Truth.

Simply Red
06-03-2019, 11:07 PM
RIP. I remember eating at Zarda in Blue Springs when I was a kid, I always liked it. :)

You in KC might complain about Zarda not being the best BBQ in town, but I guarantee you that it is leaps and bounds better than ANYTHING in the Los Angeles area. Truth.

yeah they're pretty darned good.

CoMoChief
06-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Zarda in BS was my first job, one of the few places that hired 15yr olds. Lasted for about 6mo. Washed dishes cleaned tables for a couple months then was promoted to a cook. Parents took me to/from work for that first month til I got my license. But when they hired me I specifically told them I played basketball and needed off on these days etc, and they said they'd work w/ me - no problemo.

Well they didn't work w/ me and kept scheduling me on game days and during practice hrs, so I had to quit.

I always smelled like BBQ...it was in my pores and couldn't get it out no matter how many showers I took. My dog liked the scent though.

Always thought Mike kind of a jerk though...at least to the staff when I was there. For the most part their bbq is crap...at least their meats are....beans are good. Their salad bar is great. Used to hate having to clean that thing out.

cooper barrett
06-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Zarda in BS was my first job, one of the few places that hired 15yr olds. Lasted for about 6mo. Washed dishes cleaned tables for a couple months then was promoted to a cook. Parents took me to/from work for that first month til I got my license. But when they hired me I specifically told them I played basketball and needed off on these days etc, and they said they'd work w/ me - no problemo.

Well they didn't work w/ me and kept scheduling me on game days and during practice hrs, so I had to quit. Maybe they did this to get you to leave???

I always smelled like BBQ...it was in my pores and couldn't get it out no matter how many showers I took. My dog liked the scent though.

Always thought Mike kind of a jerk though...at least to the staff when I was there. For the most part their bbq is crap...at least their meats are....beans are good. Their salad bar is great. Used to hate having to clean that thing out.

That last paragraph confirms that Mike was 'all in" on making BS basketball the best It could beROFLROFLROFLROFL

ChiefsFanatic
06-05-2019, 01:17 AM
Sorry to hear of this

It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of Mike Zarda. Mike passed away peacefully surrounded by family on Sunday, June 2, 2019, after a brief illness. Mike was one of Zarda Bar-B-Q’s founding brothers and will be missed immensely. Please keep the Zarda family & staff in your thoughts as they go through this difficult time.

We will share arrangements as soon as we are able.

https://www.facebook.com/ZardaBBQ/photos/rpp.165390803563/10156835795773564/?type=3&theater

You made some kick ass food over the years, RIP Michelle!

-RowenaI remember the first time I wasn't put on sandwiches next to Mike. Those knives were sharp you could cut through a round-up with three slices of bread and a ton of meat like slicing butter with a hot knife.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk