PDA

View Full Version : Football Wentz got paid

jjchieffan
06-07-2019, 10:40 AM
The Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a four-year contract extension with quarterback Carson Wentz.

The team announced the news Thursday afternoon. The deal will keep Wentz under contract through 2024.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the extension is for $128 million with more than $107 million guaranteed. The deal also includes escalators that can boost the value of the extension to $144 million, according to the report.

The deal is the largest guarantee for an NFL quarterback, eclipsing the $107 million deal Russel Wilson signed with the Seattle Seahawks.

Wentz responded to the deal on social media with a message about playing for “the most passionate fans in the world.”

Grateful for this opportunity and excited for the future! 🙌🏻 #FlyEaglesFly #AO1 pic.twitter.com/1Cxn12lciD

— Carson Wentz (@cj_wentz) June 6, 2019
“Can’t even explain to you how excited I am right now to be a part of this great city for this many more years,” Wentz said. “It means the world to me.”

Wentz recently completed his third season with the Eagles after being selected as the No. 2 pick in the 2016 NFL draft.

He earned Pro Bowl honors after the 2017 season, but sat through the team’s Super Bowl run after suffering ACL and LCL tears in Week 13.

Wentz played through back issues last season before ultimately shutting down with a stress fracture.

Nick Foles spelled Wentz during the team’s Super Bowl run and in the playoffs last year. The Eagles remained confident in Wentz as their quarterback of the future, allowing Foles to leave for the Jacksonville Jaguars in free agency during the offseason.

The Eagles followed through on that faith by extending Wentz while he had a year remaining on his rookie contract.

In58men
06-07-2019, 10:41 AM
He went for it

Dayze
06-07-2019, 10:43 AM
probably blew out his elbow signing the contract.

jjchieffan
$107 million guaranteed. That's crazy. He could suffer a career ending injury and the team would be screwed. Look at how much the Redskins are paying Smith to not play. And his contract wasn't nearly that big.

jjchieffan
Dang autocorrect. I typed Wentz. Could I get a mod to fix the title please?

Bowser
06-07-2019, 10:44 AM
A potential 4 year 144 million dollar deal.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/PYFImn3jYw3dK" width="480" height="346" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-agree-not-bad-PYFImn3jYw3dK">via GIPHY</a></p>

ptlyon
06-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Carson Wentz in his pants

Best22
06-07-2019, 10:51 AM
He sure Wantz alot of money

KCUnited
06-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Wenter is cumming.

RealSNR
06-07-2019, 10:59 AM
If Pat wants all Chiefs fans at Arrowhead to wear dresses to the stadium, put it in the contract and offer him an escalator that they'll even wear makeup. And don't even fucking try to talk it down.

Give him what he wants.

Dante84
06-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Curtis got slapped

journeyscarab
06-07-2019, 11:04 AM
Hope he didn't wentz in pain when he signed

Eleazar
06-07-2019, 12:03 PM
So... Pat should be getting around $256 million with more than $214 million guaranteed, with escalators that can boost the value of the extension to $288 million.

I'm cool with that.

Halfcan
06-07-2019, 12:45 PM
They better hope he can stay healthy from now on.

Gravedigger
06-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Shouldn't we have made the thread title, "The Eagles got taken for a ride"? He hasn't played a full season since his rookie year. That's one out of three seasons. I would've waited one more year before investing that kind of money, there's no Nick Foles to bail out the Eagles this next year. I could easily see Wentz becoming the next Joe Flacco without the Super Bowl start.

Skyy God
06-07-2019, 02:57 PM
It’s actually pretty team friendly.

https://deadspin.com/the-eagles-have-everything-set-up-1835327547

RedRaider56
06-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Saw a stat on TV today, where they listed QBs and their TD passes through 40 games in their career. Wentz was middle of the pack with 70.

Mahomes has 50 already through basically 1 season...Can you imagine where Mahomes will be after 40 games?

carcosa
06-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Young Wentz sure has a lot of potential, but why on
Earth would you pay him such a sum? My personal
Theory is that if you have a good QB, you pay him!

lewdog
06-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Who?

Chiefaholic
06-07-2019, 06:27 PM
Mahomes is making room in his garage for the Brinks truck to back in as we speak. I can honestly see his agent asking for $40 million + average.

PAChiefsGuy
06-07-2019, 06:54 PM
$107 million guaranteed. That's crazy. He could suffer a career ending injury and the team would be screwed. Look at how much the Redskins are paying Smith to not play. And his contract wasn't nearly that big.

It's a risk but if he stays healthy the kid can ball so it has the potential to pay off. Theyve always said he is their guy so this just makes it official.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Have Red Dawg and OKC Chief menstruated for our pleasure yet?

Redbled
06-08-2019, 08:13 AM
Most Eagles fans seem displeased with this deal from what I’ve seen. Many still prefer Foles.

wazu
06-08-2019, 08:22 AM
Most Eagles fans seem displeased with this deal from what I’ve seen. Many still prefer Foles.

At this point if I'm an Eagles fan I'm just going with it. They have a franchise-caliber QB. He's not Mahomes but nobody is. They have the ammo to dominate that division for the next few years.

Deberg_1990
06-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Cowboys fans are now wondering about Daks deal.

He has similar numbers and doesn’t get hurt

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2019, 10:08 AM
overpaid

Redbled
06-08-2019, 10:11 AM
At this point if I'm an Eagles fan I'm just going with it. They have a franchise-caliber QB. He's not Mahomes but nobody is. They have the ammo to dominate that division for the next few years.

Agreed.

Coochie liquor
06-08-2019, 10:33 AM
Cowboys fans are now wondering about Daks deal.

He has similar numbers and doesn’t get hurt

The next one will always be the highest paid. Dak gonna get his!

Coochie liquor
06-08-2019, 10:34 AM
overpaid

The hypocrisy, lmao. Aren’t you guys paying Keesem and Flaccid an exorbitant amount this season?

Fat Elvis
06-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Mahomes is making room in his garage for the Brinks truck to back in as we speak. I can honestly see his agent asking for $40 million + average.

He should do what Wilson is wanting; just ask for a percentage of the cap.

RunKC
06-08-2019, 10:55 AM
I hope we wreck the QB market. I’m talking full on annihilation of the entire league market at the position like the Bears did with Jay Cutler. Give that man $200 million. That way our biggest competition suffers immensely.

DeShaun Watson ain’t worth that coin.
Phillip Rivers ain’t worth that coin.
Josh Allen ain’t worth that coin.
Lock, if he manages to be even decent, ain’t worth that coin.
Lamar Jackson sure as shit ain’t worth that coin.

Brady will be close to done by the time Pat’s 1st year on that deal is over and only Mayfield and Luck are QB’s who could be worth that type of money.

Do it Veach. Pay Pat early, give him a 6 year deal added onto his last year of his rookie deal keeping him here through 2026.

**** over everybody bc your QB may be the only dude in the sport actually with that payday.

Tombstone RJ
06-08-2019, 11:30 AM
The hypocrisy, lmao. Aren’t you guys paying Keesem and Flaccid an exorbitant amount this season?

Flacco is overpaid too

jjchieffan
06-08-2019, 11:50 AM
I hope we wreck the QB market. I’m talking full on annihilation of the entire league market at the position like the Bears did with Jay Cutler. Give that man $200 million. That way our biggest competition suffers immensely.

DeShaun Watson ain’t worth that coin.
Phillip Rivers ain’t worth that coin.
Josh Allen ain’t worth that coin.
Lock, if he manages to be even decent, ain’t worth that coin.
Lamar Jackson sure as shit ain’t worth that coin.

Brady will be close to done by the time Pat’s 1st year on that deal is over and only Mayfield and Luck are QB’s who could be worth that type of money.

Do it Veach. Pay Pat early, give him a 6 year deal added onto his last year of his rookie deal keeping him here through 2026.

**** over everybody bc your QB may be the only dude in the sport actually with that payday.

Brilliant. Wreck our cap just to screw over other teams. Sounds like a plan for disaster.

SAUTO
06-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Brilliant. Wreck our cap just to screw over other teams. Sounds like a plan for disaster.

I think I at least understand the reasoning.

RunKC
06-08-2019, 01:30 PM

We’ll be paying him that anyway. So what if we don’t have a completely balanced team bc we have to pay him? You saying we shouldn’t pay him and let him walk? ROFL

Mahomes carried one of the worst defenses ever to a coin flip from the Super Bowl. Patriots embarrassed every QB they played in the playoffs except Pat.

Only 2, maybe 3 QB’s can carry a team like Mahomes did.

carcosa
06-08-2019, 02:06 PM

My plan for disaster is to build a 450 foot long boat that can fit two of every animal species on earth!!!!!!

jjchieffan
06-08-2019, 03:07 PM
We’ll be paying him that anyway. So what if we don’t have a completely balanced team bc we have to pay him? You saying we shouldn’t pay him and let him walk? ROFL

Mahomes carried one of the worst defenses ever to a coin flip from the Super Bowl. Patriots embarrassed every QB they played in the playoffs except Pat.

Only 2, maybe 3 QB’s can carry a team like Mahomes did.

No. I'm not saying don't pay him and let him walk. I'm saying don't pay him some crazy number more than we have to with the intent of making other teams have to overpay too. That's hurting our team to hurt other teams. I accept that Mahomes is going to get a ridiculous contract. I accept that it's going to put the team in cap hell. When you have a talent like Mahomes, you have to do it. I am just saying if Mahomes comes in asking for $35 million per year, don't say we're giving you $40 million to screw the Colts.

Rain Man
06-08-2019, 03:26 PM
No. I'm not saying don't pay him and let him walk. I'm saying don't pay him some crazy number more than we have to with the intent of making other teams have to overpay too. That's hurting our team to hurt other teams. I accept that Mahomes is going to get a ridiculous contract. I accept that it's going to put the team in cap hell. When you have a talent like Mahomes, you have to do it. I am just saying if Mahomes comes in asking for $35 million per year, don't say we're giving you $40 million to screw the Colts.

We should just pay Patrick Mahomes II the entire salary cap, and then let him hire other players as contractors or something. Whatever it takes to keep him.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
06-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Fort Knox is going to have to start adding on a penthouse

BlackOp
06-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Having an average QB like Dak...about to get paid like a superstar, is the kiss of death. You are financially stuck with him...the ceiling is maybe an occasional play-off appearance with a strong supporting cast. The only problem is you cant afford a great team anymore...*see Carr*.

You just wander aimlessly in that grey area with the Mariottas, Winstons, Daltons and Carrs....until you can afford to start over with a new QB.

Mahomes is going to get paid like a superstar because he is one...and can carry a team.

If I were a GM, I would never stop until I found a QB with top 5 potential. I would be really conflicted about paying Dak....and banking my career on him.

BossChief
06-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Hopefully Mahomes can start a medical facility that the team can use and pay him a huge amount to do so. That way, the amount paid to him as a player under the cap can be whatever we want it to be.

Call it PM15 instead of TB12

Or, get this...we can get him a signing bonus that we can’t actually pay for a few years (a few years down the road) and will make an agreement that when we will pay that signing bonus we will add in “interest” that will basically triple that signing bonus.

Something like:

5 years
100 million
70 million signing bonus (with the agreement to actually pay 200m with the remainder counted as “interest” once it’s paid wink wink)
That’s 5 years for 230 million that only 5/100 is on the books.

The Elway special.

Chiefaholic
06-09-2019, 07:09 AM
First, Curtis got slapped, and NOW Wentz got PAID? I've officially seen everything.