PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Who the hell is Deon Yelder?

Hammock Parties
06-17-2019, 10:37 AM
ArrowheadePride just pub'd an article about him being the No. 2 TE favorite.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/6/16/18678711/chiefs-lottery-tickets-tight-end-deon-yelder

The Chiefs signed Yelder in the middle of the season last year to the practice squad. In late October, he was signed to the 53-man roster and saw time on special teams in three games last year. There is limited tape out there of Yelder’s time in the NFL, including the preseason of his first season in the league.

6-3, 260, 4.7

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is excellent body adjustment, focus and finish by Yelder on this throw behind him. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LotteryTickets?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LotteryTickets</a> <a href="https://t.co/5SoRuFfer3">pic.twitter.com/5SoRuFfer3</a></p>&mdash; Kent Swanson (@kent_swanson) <a href="https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1139731916897148930?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 15, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TE Deon Yelder moves well for a man his size. He looks more than capable of running the over routes and verticals that you can expect from tight ends in Andy Reid&#39;s offense. <a href="https://t.co/ejbdLU1uJp">pic.twitter.com/ejbdLU1uJp</a></p>&mdash; Kent Swanson (@kent_swanson) <a href="https://twitter.com/kent_swanson/status/1139728697806774272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 15, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is this dude legit or just a scab?

ChiTown
06-17-2019, 10:42 AM
His best attribute that I can see is that he is not Demetrius Harris....

staylor26
06-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Yea I saw this and was a little bit surprised because I thought it was looking like Lovett was going to be the guy, but Yelder would’ve probably been my second guess.

He’s not as big or freakish as Harris, but he’s probably a better football player and has more consistent hands.

I still like Lovett, but I wouldn’t be shocked if either or both made the team.

rabblerouser
06-17-2019, 10:50 AM
His best attribute that I can see is that he is not Demetrius Harris....

I'm in.

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
I mean, he's only 4 inches shorter than Harris.

rabblerouser
06-17-2019, 11:03 AM
I mean, he's only 4 inches shorter than Harris.

I'll bet he can catch the ball 4x better than Harris.

RunKC
06-17-2019, 11:06 AM
Don’t care. Lovett has potential. Get him involved over this scrub.

FAX
06-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Why can't we hire that Jordy guy?

FAX

Titty Meat
06-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Trash

Easy 6
06-17-2019, 04:27 PM
I fear we’re gonna have to put Old Yelder down

Dante84
06-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Don’t care. Lovett has potential. Get him involved over this scrub.

Boomer Lovett

BWillie
06-17-2019, 04:57 PM
Benjamin at Tight End, or D-Tackle.

chiefzilla1501
06-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Are Lovett and Yelder competing? Seem like two totally different players. Yelder has the build to be a great blocker who can catch a few. Lovett looks like an H-back Taysom Hill type. If Kelce is eased back in, Lovett seems like he'd be a little more ready for an every down role right away. With how many weapons we have, plenty of plays where the offense will open the #2 TE up. Sounds like Yelder's hands are a hell of a lot more reliable than Harris.

Reid's groomed quite a few great ones at TE. For him to call Yelder out specifically is hopefully a good sign.

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Are Lovett and Yelder competing? Seem like two totally different players. Yelder has the build to be a great blocker who can catch a few. Lovett looks like an H-back Taysom Hill type. If Kelce is eased back in, Lovett seems like he'd be a little more ready for an every down role right away. With how many weapons we have, plenty of plays where the offense will open the #2 TE up. Sounds like Yelder's hands are a hell of a lot more reliable than Harris.

Reid's groomed quite a few great ones at TE. For him to call Yelder out specifically is hopefully a good sign.
Can Lovett block?

staylor26
06-17-2019, 05:19 PM

Yes.

chiefzilla1501
06-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Yes.

Why couldn't or wouldn't they be playing a role instead of competing with each other? Lovett as an H-back, Yelder as a traditional #2 TE who plays more of a blocking role. Especially early on.

chiefzilla1501
06-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Can Lovett block?

Just like you, I can only go off what I read on scouting reports. But if I had to guess, Yelder has a much bigger frame and he's been training as a tight end for several years. Lovett is smaller, is just coming off wrist surgery, and was a QB last year. I can't imagine Lovett would be ready to take on the #2 role that quickly. But as a Taysom Hill type, that I could see right away.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
06-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Kelce already said he will be reading for training camp. He’s out of the walking boot

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Just like you, I can only go off what I read on scouting reports. But if I had to guess, Yelder has a much bigger frame and he's been training as a tight end for several years. Lovett is smaller, is just coming off wrist surgery, and was a QB last year. I can't imagine Lovett would be ready to take on the #2 role that quickly. But as a Taysom Hill type, that I could see right away.not sure we’d keep yelder, Lovett, and Sherman.

staylor26
06-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Why couldn't or wouldn't they be playing a role instead of competing with each other? Lovett as an H-back, Yelder as a traditional #2 TE who plays more of a blocking role. Especially early on.

Because they’re both competing for a “TE” spot either way and you only have so many. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible that they both make it, just probably unlikely.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Wring more hands about tight ends. It's sexy!

Naptown Chief
06-17-2019, 07:54 PM
Just like you, I can only go off what I read on scouting reports. But if I had to guess, Yelder has a much bigger frame and he's been training as a tight end for several years. Lovett is smaller, is just coming off wrist surgery, and was a QB last year. I can't imagine Lovett would be ready to take on the #2 role that quickly. But as a Taysom Hill type, that I could see right away.

I saw a Lovett video, as well as his pro day, somewhere that showed his highlights while passing and lined up as a TE. He was in a cast for his pro day and caught all but one throw one-handed. I'm sure Yelder is more polished, and has the frame to block, but Lovett is definitely athletic. I'd love to keep both of them. I wonder if Lovett will be listed as the 3rd QB but still play TE in gadget plays.

I'd love Pat to throw a TE screen to Lovett, who then throws a bomb to a streaking Hill/Watkins/Hardman

chiefzilla1501
06-17-2019, 08:15 PM
Because they’re both competing for a “TE” spot either way and you only have so many. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible that they both make it, just probably unlikely.

It's hard to really call Taysom Hill any position. For now Lovett seems the same way. Imagine Lovett will be a gadget guy to get yards and give Reid a creative toy to play with. He's kind of an H-back, wildcat option, and receiver all in one. That'll give him plenty of reps. It'll also give Sherman and Yelder plenty of reps when the Chiefs want guys who can both catch/run and block.

I think not having DAT or James Williams pretty much opens the door for a utility guy like Lovett.

Blick
06-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Did we keep 3 TE's last year?

I feel like Lovett will be a practice squad guy and the #2 spot will come down to Bell or Yelder.

chiefzilla1501
06-17-2019, 08:56 PM
I saw a Lovett video, as well as his pro day, somewhere that showed his highlights while passing and lined up as a TE. He was in a cast for his pro day and caught all but one throw one-handed. I'm sure Yelder is more polished, and has the frame to block, but Lovett is definitely athletic. I'd love to keep both of them. I wonder if Lovett will be listed as the 3rd QB but still play TE in gadget plays.

I'd love Pat to throw a TE screen to Lovett, who then throws a bomb to a streaking Hill/Watkins/Hardman

Never understood why NFL coaches don't work in more gadget plays with offensive weapons who can throw.

FAX
06-17-2019, 08:58 PM
I cried at Ol' Yelder.

I hope Younger Yelder plays better.

FAX

TinyEvel
06-17-2019, 09:22 PM
What am I missing? In both clips dude just runs a straight line slant route 10 yards out and catches the ball.

chiefzilla1501
06-18-2019, 08:30 AM
What am I missing? In both clips dude just runs a straight line slant route 10 yards out and catches the ball.

The guy is built like a tank. Out of college he was a little raw as a blocker. Probably as a receiver too. But id imagine Reid forced him to work on it. As a TE2, probably looking for a blocker who can catch what comes to him, which is more than can be said for Harris. Not a playmaker like kelce.