PDA

View Full Version : News Woman killed by sharks in the Bahamas as our family just gets back from the Caribbean

Redbled
06-27-2019, 07:24 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/us/bahamas-shark-attack-woman-died/index.html

Horrible story. We just spent the past 2 weeks snorkeling daily in Grand Cayman. Wife is terrified of sharks, loves snorkeling but not sure I'll ever get her back in the water. Had just shared with her this past week how no one has ever been killed by a shark in GC and very very few in the Caribbean. Super rare thing.

Some of the things below that we saw including being able to go on a horse ride into the ocean. Also saw 2 nurse sharks one pictured as well as an eagle ray. It was our 3rd time going there and we want to go back again next year.

I had about 8 other pictures I was going to put on here but looks like I can only do 5. Not seeing a way in a later post to add more just from my computer.

ThaVirus
06-27-2019, 09:09 PM
I mean, if you wanted to show off your vacation pics you could have just done so..

lewdog
06-27-2019, 09:42 PM
You’re a loser.

Fuck you!!!

In58men
06-27-2019, 09:54 PM
I mean, if you wanted to show off your vacation pics you could have just done so..

Kind of like how everyone was posting their vacation pictures when Notre Dame caught fire ROFL

Frazod
06-27-2019, 10:04 PM
That's definitely one method of death I won't have to worry about. Jaws ruined me at a young age. Three years on a ship in the Navy, I can count on one hand the number of times I swam in the ocean.

DAMN YOU SPIELBERG :cuss:

carcosa
06-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Patrick Mahomes MVP

srvy
06-27-2019, 10:15 PM
Yeah I read about this this morning when I headed out. Her family saw the sharks but were to far away to get to her. They holler to her but she didnt hear till was to late. Three damn sharks probably bull sharks.

Fish
06-27-2019, 10:17 PM
<iframe width="1191" height="670" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jboPBNkjNdQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kevrunner
06-27-2019, 10:19 PM
Sorry for your loss��

Frazod
06-27-2019, 10:19 PM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/6h4z4b3v6XWxO/giphy.gif

srvy
06-27-2019, 10:23 PM
<iframe width="1191" height="670" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jboPBNkjNdQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Those folks were lucky that fish had probably already fed and fatty was a little more than the snack it was looking for.

Beef Supreme
06-28-2019, 01:01 AM
How did you survive? Did you punch it in the nose?

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-28-2019, 03:35 AM
As I've grown older and wiser I've learned a few things. and one of them is if you're going to be in the ocean, make sure you're in a boat.

ChiefGator
06-28-2019, 06:08 AM
I guess I don't understand why you would be on a horse, in the ocean.

Gravedigger
06-28-2019, 06:30 AM
I guess I don't understand why you would be on a horse, in the ocean.

No shit, poor fucking horse.

I don't see how these two are related besides that you were both... in an ocean... and there are sharks... in the ocean... I'm glad you didn't get killed? You live to post another day!

Eleazar
06-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Poor woman. I hope none of her chums saw it.

notorious
06-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Shark week?

Hog Rider
06-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Nice photos. Glad you had a nice trip.
We like Cayman, have been diving there many times. Saw a medium sized hammerhead at Cayman Brac once (maybe 8'). Startled me when it turned toward me, but then it just moved out from the reef to the deep blue.

limested
06-28-2019, 08:39 AM
Sharks don't care about humans and do not look for us as food. Attacks on humans are usually mistaken identity, surger sitting on board looks like a seal, or human stupidity.

Bahamas are known for chumming the waters for swim with shark encounters. What could ever go wring with that?

RealSNR
06-28-2019, 08:48 AM
The sharks probably thought about eating you and your family until they realized you're a fucking douchebag who posts vacation pictures on the internet, so they stayed far the fuck away out of fear of contracting AIDS

BigRedChief
06-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Sharks don't care about humans and do not look for us as food. Attacks on humans are usually mistaken identity, surger sitting on board looks like a seal, or human stupidity.

Bahamas are known for chumming the waters for swim with shark encounters. What could ever go wring with that?We have a lot of sharks by us in the water all the time. They are 1-2 footers. Maybe babies in the shallower water of the Gulf? People freak out all the time when they see one. Those stingrays that you were ohhh and awwing just a little while ago is what you should be worried about.

ChiefGator
06-28-2019, 09:22 AM
We have a lot of sharks by us in the water all the time. They are 1-2 footers. Maybe babies in the shallower water of the Gulf?

That is all I've seen in the shallows of the Atlantic Ocean around Jacksonville either, although life guards have reported seeing 8' sharks a bit further out.

Eleazar
06-28-2019, 10:51 AM
That is all I've seen in the shallows of the Atlantic Ocean around Jacksonville either, although life guards have reported seeing 8' sharks a bit further out.

There was a massive great white just outside the breakers once when I lived there. It was one of those that is tagged and could be followed on a website (don't remember which one). Local news did a story about it.

IUsedToBeATightEnd
06-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Bahamas are known for chumming the waters for swim with shark encounters. What could ever go wring with that?

They make a mistake and eat you up. That's what could go wrong.

Bowser
06-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Man, I love the Caribbean, but maybe perhaps it's time to find a safer beach to travel to. And no, the Ozarks or Smithville Lake ain't cutting it, lol.

WhawhaWhat
06-28-2019, 11:53 AM
And no, the Ozarks or Smithville Lake ain't cutting it, lol.

No sharks but plenty of E. Coli.

dlphg9
06-28-2019, 12:05 PM
In before Google Barrett comes in and tells us about his experience surviving shark attacks and how he'd successfully killed 3 hammerheads by smashing their heads together.

Redbled
06-28-2019, 12:25 PM
Nice photos. Glad you had a nice trip.
We like Cayman, have been diving there many times. Saw a medium sized hammerhead at Cayman Brac once (maybe 8'). Startled me when it turned toward me, but then it just moved out from the reef to the deep blue.

We have never gone to the outer islands. Is it mainly divers that do? I get startled each time I see one.

Demonpenz
06-28-2019, 01:08 PM
Duck Boats kill 23 times more people in the us per year than sharks

JohnnyHammersticks
06-28-2019, 02:29 PM
Duck Boats kill 23 times more people in the us per year than sharks

Well played. :clap:

Shoes
06-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Never been an ocean guy- the pool is WAY better and always closer to the bar.

displacedinMN
06-28-2019, 02:52 PM
Crap like that freaks people out. The 'almost happened to me' thought.
I was just there. I just saw XXX now they are gone..

My wife and sister were at the World Trade Center 1 week before 9-11. If they would have gone with their original plan-they may have been there that day.

Be thankful it was not you and say something nice about the person it happened too.

Iowanian
06-28-2019, 03:02 PM
The real question is can we anticipate any "with a bull on vacation" videos to hit the web anytime soon?

scho63
06-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Damn! If they only extended those nets from behind home plate at the Miami Marlins stadium across the Atlantic through the Bahamas, this would have NEVER happened!

srvy
06-28-2019, 05:57 PM
More info coming out now that it was 3 Tiger Sharks that encircled her while swimming with the pigs at Rose Island. Her Dad watched in horror as one tore her arm from one shoulder then took large chunks out of each leg. Mom apparently was also near and tried to save her with no luck. A passenger on the same tour boat the family was on actually filmed the largest shark that rip her arm off swimming away.

It seems incredibly stupid to swim amongst these swimming pigs who probably are one of the Tiger sharks prey. I guess its a thing celebrities do including Kim Kardashian. Why the hell it couldnt be Kim.

I have read that Tiger Sharks are so dangerous to humans because they have unique teeth for cracking and biting right through sea turtles. When they test bite humans it usually severs limbs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEz_BzAODK0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T-post Tom
06-28-2019, 06:56 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dLjNzwEULG8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Redbled
06-28-2019, 07:06 PM
You had to think there was a reason like that. Read that a scientist was saying this was not normal shark behavior and that he expected something else was in the water with her. I figured they were throwing chum in.

EPodolak
06-28-2019, 10:13 PM
More info coming out now that it was 3 Tiger Sharks that encircled her while swimming with the pigs at Rose Island. Her Dad watched in horror as one tore her arm from one shoulder then took large chunks out of each leg. Mom apparently was also near and tried to save her with no luck. A passenger on the same tour boat the family was on actually filmed the largest shark that rip her arm off swimming away.

Jesus, horrible.

GloryDayz
06-28-2019, 11:45 PM
I'd dive it...

Why Not?
06-29-2019, 07:54 AM

It seems incredibly stupid to swim amongst these swimming pigs who probably are one of the Tiger sharks prey. I guess its a thing celebrities do including Kim Kardashian. Why the hell it couldnt be Kim.

I have read that Tiger Sharks are so dangerous to humans because they have unique teeth for cracking and biting right through sea turtles. When they test bite humans it usually severs limbs.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LEz_BzAODK0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why the fuck would anyone want to go swimming with pigs to begin with ?