PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Fisher Hitting His Stride per PFF

JohnnyV13
06-28-2019, 02:55 AM
With the first overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs made left tackle Eric Fisher just the fourth offensive lineman in the past 50 years to be taken first overall. The other three — Jake Long, Orlando Pace and Ron Yary — have been selected to 18 career Pro Bowls. Fisher has been to just one in his six-year career.

Fisher is now tasked with guarding the blindside of the highest-rising star in the NFL, Patrick Mahomes, and while he has been a stalwart fixture on their offensive line over his career, many have questioned whether he was worthy of his pedigree.

However, there is mounting evidence that at the midway point of last season, Fisher’s game turned a corner. From Week 11 to the Super Bowl, he was the NFL’s highest-graded offensive tackle, and if he can ride that wave of success into the upcoming season, he has a chance to solidify the Chiefs’ offensive line for years to come.

Last season, Fisher got off to a rough start. Over the Chiefs’ first 10 games of the season, he stumbled to a 62.1 pass-blocking grade, 63rd of 72 qualifying tackles in that span. His run-blocking grade was a little better, but not by much, at 63.3. He allowed three sacks, four hits and 24 hurries from his 409 pass-blocking snaps over that span, and he lost his matchup — either by way of allowing a pressure or by being beaten by the defender — on 11.9% of those blocks over that period.

As if those numbers weren’t bad enough, he was even worse on third downs, where his pass-blocking grade dropped to 43.2 and he recorded a loss percentage of 20%. His worst game of the season came against the lowly Arizona Cardinals in Week 10, where he finished with an overall grade of 35.4 and a pass-blocking grade of 33.9 with two penalties thrown in for good measure.

However, something changed in him after this performance. From that point onward he was the highest-graded tackle in the league with an overall grade of 83.2. His pass-blocking grade of 86.0 was the fifth-best in the league at the tackle position. His loss percentage dropped from 11.9% to 4.9% — a top-three mark among players at the position.

Perhaps the biggest leap came in his third-down efficiency, where his pass-blocking grade jumped 40.0 points from 43.2 to 83.2, as he allowed Mahomes to stay clean by allowing no sacks and dropping his pressure rate from 15.3% to just 6.7%.

The Chiefs have a tough season on the horizon. With their 12-4 record in 2018, they are projected to face one of the league’s toughest schedules this year, and they have many question marks on their roster, such as what will happen with Tyreek Hill. If Eric Fisher can keep up his play from the back end of last season, however, it will be one less thing they will have to worry about, and maybe he can finally prove his doubters wrong and show that he was worthy of the first overall pick after all.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-kansas-city-chiefs-lt-eric-fisher-is-finally-hitting-his-stride-in-the-nfl

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
06-28-2019, 03:26 AM
Wasn’t this the time Erving was benched for Jeff Allen?

New World Order
06-28-2019, 03:43 AM
I thought Erving got hurt against Baltimore

staylor26
06-28-2019, 05:43 AM
But but but the Chiefs could’ve done so much better at #1 in a shit draft!

TambaBerry
06-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Also, a lot of it was Mahomes being basically a rookie. He ran around a lot more and held the ball longer in the beginning of the season

notorious
06-28-2019, 07:25 AM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xMsS00ejizxt3qXHJ4lDH2Vcmo8=/0x347:2405x1950/1200x800/filters:focal(0x347:2405x1950)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49324309/usa-today-8307307.0.jpg

Deberg_1990
06-28-2019, 07:26 AM

Joeckel, Jeockel, Jeockel!!

Hydrae
06-28-2019, 07:27 AM
Wasn’t this the time Erving was benched for Jeff Allen?

If not that then what did change from one game to the next? Not like he corrected something or learned a new technique mid season.

O.city
06-28-2019, 07:30 AM
He’s a good solid LT

It sucks that there wasn’t s generational type player there for the chiefs when they ducks bad enough to get the first overall pick but he’s turned out pretty good

staylor26
06-28-2019, 07:32 AM
He’s a good solid LT

It sucks that there wasn’t s generational type player there for the chiefs when they ducks bad enough to get the first overall pick but he’s turned out pretty good

We absolutely picked the worst year in my 20 years of watching the draft to have the #1 overall pick.

No QB, no elite pass rushers, no lockdown corners, nothing.

The fact that we at least landed a good LT to protect Mahomes years later is poetic justice.

RunKC
06-28-2019, 07:41 AM
He’s a good solid LT

Not too mad about it. We got Kelce in that draft who is the best TE in the league.

Decent LT+elite TE=good draft IMO

Eleazar
06-28-2019, 07:45 AM
At the time he was drafted he was seen as a developmental project with a high ceiling, not a 'ready to dominate on day 1' type of pick. The curve has been longer than most people thought, but he's turned into a solid LT.

O.city
06-28-2019, 08:28 AM
Pretty much what those 3 said

I’m not overjoyed by it, he’s not Jonathan Ogden by any means

But he’s a good solid borderline pro bowl lt

notorious
06-28-2019, 08:36 AM
With Mahomes and the leeway we will be given on holding in the future Fisher might become a perennial pro-bowler.

TLO
06-28-2019, 12:55 PM
I feel like there has been an article about this for the last 5 years

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
06-28-2019, 12:57 PM
He has made JJ Watt his bitch

Halfcan
06-28-2019, 01:15 PM
I feel like there has been an article about this for the last 5 years

This. Fisher did not have a good year overall. If he plays like that again this year, they need to find his replacement. Mahomes is too valuable to trust Fisher to protect him through an entire season.

O.city
06-28-2019, 01:19 PM
The chiefs had the best offense in the league and set records

I’m guessing fisher played pretty well

Dunerdr
06-28-2019, 01:19 PM
fisher is meh as hell, but also had erving next to him not helping at all.

CrazyPhuD
06-28-2019, 03:55 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18lroax6o867tgif/ku-xlarge.gif

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2019, 03:59 PM
PMII Effect, Fisher is an average LT being a beneficiary playing with a generational QB.

Reerun_KC
06-28-2019, 04:07 PM
The Franchise.

Rain Man
06-28-2019, 04:08 PM
PMII Effect, Fisher is an average LT being a beneficiary playing with a generational QB.

Richmond Webb made a career off this effect.

scho63
06-28-2019, 04:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B4c_SkROzzo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefshrink
06-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Mahomes makes everyone better. It's how it works. Sense of urgency just got knocked up a few levels for everyone.

Reerun_KC
06-28-2019, 04:13 PM
Glad to finally see The Franchise live up to his draft status. Queue up the true fan gif.

Easy 6
06-28-2019, 04:31 PM
He will never live up to the pick, but as today’s LT’s go above average is a win... and it’s safe to say he is atleast that

smithandrew051
06-28-2019, 04:50 PM
When you look back at taking Fisher 1/1, it’s important to look not just at who else we could’ve had, but it narrow it to who the true contenders were for being the number 1 overall pick.

Should Tom Brady have gone first overall? In hindsight, yes. But literally no one thought that going into the draft, so I find it hard to criticize everyone passing on him.

JaMarcus Russell is the biggest bust ever, because of how much talent was at the top of that draft.

Rawlsian
06-28-2019, 04:52 PM
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/xMsS00ejizxt3qXHJ4lDH2Vcmo8=/0x347:2405x1950/1200x800/filters:focal(0x347:2405x1950)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/49324309/usa-today-8307307.0.jpg

:clap:

Bump
06-28-2019, 04:54 PM
At least we didn't pick Luke Joeckel

Reerun_KC
06-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Fishers daddy.

Bob Dole
06-28-2019, 06:35 PM
He will never live up to the pick, but as today’s LT’s go above average is a win... and it’s safe to say he is atleast that

we should have just traded the damned pick. There were slim pickins at 1.1. Because Chiefs.

kysirsoze
06-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Fishers daddy.

Then he's JJ Watt's Granddaddy...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6375695/hisher.gif

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2019, 10:09 PM

Yes, yes they could have. Why beat a proven dead horse?
I've never seen a Chiefs LT benefit so much from his QB. But of course I'm sure his "hitting of the stride" has nothing to do with God Mahomes under Center, right?

Fuck Dorsey and that dumbassed pick

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2019, 10:14 PM
A-DURRRRRRR... Mac 10 Mongo beat up JJ with Flu! HUR-DURRRRRRRR!

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2019, 10:19 PM
With Mahomes and the leeway we will be given on holding in the future Fisher might become a perennial pro-bowler.

A retired Will Shields, playing out of position, could walk on the field tomorrow and kick the fuck turds out of anything Fisher has ever done.

New World Order
06-28-2019, 10:32 PM
A retired Will Shields, playing out of position, could walk on the field tomorrow and kick the **** turds out of anything Fisher has ever done.

Yep

He was dominated by a 65-year-old James Harrison

Mahomes pocket presence is going to make Fisher look like an all-pro caliber tackle.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-28-2019, 10:48 PM
Anyone remember Fisher's ninja chicken with talon skills when Fraud Alex was running for his gimp-legged life?

Sweets does.

Fish
06-28-2019, 10:50 PM
... is a turd.

Bump
06-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Yes, yes they could have. Why beat a proven dead horse?
I've never seen a Chiefs LT benefit so much from his QB. But of course I'm sure his "hitting of the stride" has nothing to do with God Mahomes under Center, right?

**** Dorsey and that dumbassed pick

Didn't Shields line up at LT a few times and absolutely dominated?

New World Order
06-28-2019, 11:11 PM

Not sure but this was pretty cool

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6oRy0p5Byo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
06-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Oh cool. The once in a lifetime 1.1 pick I thought was meh is about to hit his stride. Maybe in 6 more years he will dominate.

We get the fucking 1.1 and cant trade it , and can't do better than meh...

Because chiefs

mdchiefsfan
06-28-2019, 11:44 PM
we should have just traded the damned pick. There were slim pickins at 1.1. Because Chiefs.

This statement never makes sense to me: “Can’t find a player to plug into that spot... the Chiefs should’ve traded it,” as if someone else could’ve found someone suitable for the draft spot.

Face it, the Chiefs got boned fairly hard with that draft spot and the talent available. But there is no way another team would’ve given up other draft capital to place their ass in the sling the Chiefs found themselves in that night.

Tribal Warfare
06-29-2019, 12:12 AM

Yes, and a big reason why it cracks me up when pundits proclaim Larry Allen as the best OG of all-time because Alken didn't have near the agility that Shields had.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 05:13 AM
Shields trains guys at his facility and you can see that his fundamentals are still fast as fuck. Why Fisher doesn't have a cot set up in the corner of that facility is beyond my capacity to reason.

New World Order
06-29-2019, 05:24 AM
Shields trains guys at his facility and you can see that his fundamentals are still fast as ****. Why Fisher doesn't have a cot set up in the corner of that facility is beyond my capacity to reason.

He's busy chasing Brooke around with twinkies

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 05:43 AM
He's busy chasing Brooke around with twinkies

I noticed Little Miss Bitch relegated herself to fluff pieces. Good girl.

wheeler08
06-29-2019, 07:35 AM
Shields trains guys at his facility and you can see that his fundamentals are still fast as fuck. Why Fisher doesn't have a cot set up in the corner of that facility is beyond my capacity to reason.

Doesn’t Mckinzie train with him? What a find that would be if that ever bares fruit

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Doesn’t Mckinzie train with him? What a find that would be if that ever bares fruit

Yes he does, and it's featured in the latest episode of the franchise. Shields is still a straight-up fucking beast.

threebag
06-29-2019, 08:25 AM
Another Willie Roaf would be great. I guess we’ll have to settle for Pincha Loaf

dlphg9
06-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Another Willie Roaf would be great. I guess we’ll have to settle for Pincha Loaf

I dont think there will ever be another Willie, but we've had plenty of Pincha Loaf since he retired.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 11:13 AM

We're due to start looking at a couple of premium guys for the front. I wouldn't take Fisher any further than his current contract. It's time to start flipping and upgrading over there.

Rain Man
06-29-2019, 01:31 PM

Yeah, there was one season where we lost a couple of left tackles so they moved him over there for several games. He was still the best offensive lineman on the field. Who else could move from right guard to left tackle and do that?

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Yeah, there was one season where we lost a couple of left tackles so they moved him over there for several games. He was still the best offensive lineman on the field. Who else could move from right guard to left tackle and do that?
Guy is such a badass.

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 06:25 PM
Yeah, it sucks that KC had the #1 pick in a terrible year to have that pick.

I don't care at this point. IF they had reached for a QB, were would we be now?

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 06:27 PM

Bruce Matthews is the only interior guy I can think of who could play outside and still be better than the rest of his team-mates.

I remember a game against the chargers where Shields blocked 4 guys to the ground on a 30+ yard run from Holmes. Smashed a guy, pulled and just ran over 3 guys paving a path. Insane.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 06:38 PM

1) better off than we were with Chase Daniel.

2) fully trained and flipped to another team for real draft value!
3) potentially in possession of a much better LT a year or two down the road without spending a pick of that magnitude on him.

Feel the truth of it. Embrace it.

New World Order
06-29-2019, 06:58 PM

If we drafted a capable quarterback in '13 Denver wouldn't have won the '15 chip.

May have won it in '16 too.

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 07:52 PM
1) better off than we were with Chase Daniel.

2) fully trained and flipped to another team for real draft value!
3) potentially in possession of a much better LT a year or two down the road without spending a pick of that magnitude on him.

Feel the truth of it. Embrace it.

If you don't think KC tried to trade that pick, you're nuts.

NOBODY wanted to pick #1. The QB's were total trash. Guys made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady.

Now we have the best football player on the planet.

Embrace the now and accept the path it took to get here.

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 07:55 PM
If we drafted a capable quarterback in '13 Denver wouldn't have won the '15 chip.

May have won it in '16 too.

Ah, the fully capable QB's of the 2013 draft.

Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
EJ Manuel
Matt Barkley

The field gets worse from there. I have no idea who you're talking about. Who knows how many years they'd have wasted trying to develop guys like that.

KC has the best QB (best player actually) in the world right now. That's a win.

How are you guys still mad about passing on these guys in hindsight?

Hell, I'm GLAD they passed on Russel Wilson after that as well. If they hadn't, we wouldn't have the best player on earth.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 07:56 PM

NOBODY wanted to pick #1.

You don't have to trade the pick to draft a QB, which is what you asked.

Embrace the peen, train it well and flip it, pick up better LT down the road.

Reid gets to have his little boo bear Alex, we get a better backup QB that we can train and flip down the road, and Alex gets to feel good about himself by comparison.

I see absolutely no losing proposition here whatsoever.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 07:58 PM

Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
EJ Manuel
Matt Barkley

The field gets worse from there. I have no idea who you're talking about.

KC has the best QB in the world right now. That's a win.

any of those guys under Reid's training becomes a valuable commodity for the trade.

Rain Man
06-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Bruce Matthews is the only interior guy I can think of who could play outside and still be better than the rest of his team-mates.

I remember a game against the chargers where Shields blocked 4 guys to the ground on a 30+ yard run from Holmes. Smashed a guy, pulled and just ran over 3 guys paving a path. Insane.

Good point. However, if I remember right, he started out at tackle and moved inside when he got older. Your point still stands, though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
EJ Manuel
Matt Barkley

The field gets worse from there. I have no idea who you're talking about. Who knows how many years they'd have wasted trying to develop guys like that.

KC has the best QB in the world right now. That's a win.

You're asking what could be better. I am telling you what could be better. In this scenario, mahomes comes into the picture at the same time that he did.

It's better.

New World Order
06-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
EJ Manuel
Matt Barkley

There were none. But I'm saying if there had been one we would have won the SB in '15 and perhaps '16 too.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 08:03 PM

NOBODY wanted to pick #1. The QB's were total trash. Guys made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady.

Now we have the best football player on the planet.

Embrace the now.

I have.

But you asked!:D

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 08:05 PM
I have.

But you asked!:D

I mean I was with you. I hated the pick. I didn't want Alex Smith.

Now I just don't give a damn. Because now we have a full blown legend in the making.

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 08:06 PM
There were none. But I'm saying if there had been one we would have won the SB in '15 and perhaps '16 too.

I guess I fail to see the point you're making.

If I had wheels I'd be wagon.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Meh. It's all good now.

Bob Dole
06-29-2019, 08:19 PM
This statement never makes sense to me: “Can’t find a player to plug into that spot... the Chiefs should’ve traded it,” as if someone else could’ve found someone suitable for the draft spot.

Face it, the Chiefs got boned fairly hard with that draft spot and the talent available. But there is no way another team would’ve given up other draft capital to place their ass in the sling the Chiefs found themselves in that night.
it was just a shit show,but someone would have offered something

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 08:53 PM
it was just a shit show,but someone would have offered something

When the top of the draft sucks, you can't give away the #1 pick. KC tried to trade down. I don't think anyone in the top 3 could move down if they wanted.

It's not even the first time it happened.

jjchieffan
06-29-2019, 09:39 PM
We're due to start looking at a couple of premium guys for the front. I wouldn't take Fisher any further than his current contract. It's time to start flipping and upgrading over there.

His current contract runs through 2021. That's 3 more seasons. I guess that they could move on from him fairly cheap after this season if need be. We do have lots of options on the line right now. If McKenzie pans out at guard, then Wylie could slide over to tackle possibly. That was his position in college. Otherwise, you're looking at likely investing another high round pick at the position.

WhiteWhale
06-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Good point. However, if I remember right, he started out at tackle and moved inside when he got older. Your point still stands, though.

Well he started inside but moved outside midseason of his 2nd year out of necessity.

Pretty sure he moved back inside for the same reason.

He was just awesome no matter where he played.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-29-2019, 10:54 PM
His current contract runs through 2021. That's 3 more seasons. I guess that they could move on from him fairly cheap after this season if need be. We do have lots of options on the line right now. If McKenzie pans out at guard, then Wylie could slide over to tackle possibly. That was his position in college. Otherwise, you're looking at likely investing another high round pick at the position.

I'm not averse to spending a high pick on a premium LT, we have something worth protecting now. We need at least two high ceiling guys out there. We've had fairly good luck keeping it together with late round picks and projects, but we should try to move beyond that.

CoMoChief
06-29-2019, 10:55 PM
The quality of OT has gotten worse over the years.

You don't see many OT's today and think "That guy's probably on track to the HoF".

Fisher is just the better of a group of across the board shitty modern day OT in the NFL...especially in the AFC.

It's great the he keeps ascending as a player...that's obviously what you want. He started off in a deep hole and is finally working his way out of it. The problem w/ Fisher is that when he gets beat, often it looks bad. The guy doesn't come off as a person with a mean streak, and sometimes to a degree that may (unfairly) judge his play a certain way.

He's been the best or 2nd best top10 pick from a really shitty top 10 class, and one of the better tackles in the league in a very lackluster selection of OT talent in the NFL across the board.

Mahomes, Hill, Jones, Kelce, and a CB to be named, are all going to have to get PAID. If Fisher is the odd man out then so be it.

JohnnyV13
06-30-2019, 12:49 PM

No. Shields started out as a guard. His arms really were too short for him to be slotted as a tackle.

His rookie year was 1993, when Joe Montana was QB, and he was a rookie starter. John Alt was still playing and entrenched at LT.

Unless you're talking about Bruce Matthews.

JohnnyV13
06-30-2019, 12:58 PM

Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
EJ Manuel
Matt Barkley

Hell, I'm GLAD they passed on Russel Wilson after that as well. If they hadn't, we wouldn't have the best player on earth.

Exactly. Dorsey did a phenomenal job in 2013. He traded for the best available QB. We may all talk about Alex Smith's shortcomings, but he was clearly better than Geno Smith, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, ect.

He drafted a decent LT at no. 1 overall in a horrible draft. Go look back at that draft. If you buy into the AV stat as a roughly accurate estimate of player value, you'll see the first player to have a substantially higher career value than Fisher is Le'Veon Bell, who Pittsburgh took deep into the second round (Fisher has a career AV of 48 and a pro bowl. Sheldon Richardson (taken at no. 13) has a career AV of 49 and 1 pro bowl, though that return came much quicker than Fisher. WR DeAndre Hopkins at 21 has a career AV of 51 and 3 pro bowls).

You can make the case that Sheldon Richardson or Lane Johnson would have been better picks, but it's not a huge value gain.

Then, Dorsey landed Travis Kelce in the 3rd round, who is now the best TE in the NFL and really a big mismatch for most defensive backfields. Chiefs also landed Knile Davis in the 3rd round.

Davis was a credible fill in for Charles in a couple of starts in his career, plus a useful kick returner. Not a great pick, but did provide some value.

Overall, landing 3 longtime starters, and one useful roster guy is good work in the draft. Especially when you consider that Kelce eventually became the best at his position. BTW, Kelce has the most pro bowls of any player drafted in 2013 with 4.

FAX
06-30-2019, 01:18 PM
You know what?

At least he's not hitting his wife or a vein with a speedball.

(As far as we know.)

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-30-2019, 05:53 PM
You know what?

At least he's not hitting his wife or a vein with a speedball.

(As far as we know.)

FAX

Now that you mention it, that lackluster play just screams, "I love the arm heroin before kickoff"(!)

Mmmm-hm.

Stryker
06-30-2019, 06:04 PM
We absolutely picked the worst year in my 20 years of watching the draft to have the #1 overall pick.

No QB, no elite pass rushers, no lockdown corners, nothing.

The fact that we at least landed a good LT to protect Mahomes years later is poetic justice.

This. You are absolutely correct. The wife and I went to the local pub to witness what the Chiefs would do with the first pick. The last times I bent an ear was Glen Dorsey and Dwayne Bowe! LOL!

Fat Elvis
06-30-2019, 06:04 PM
I know some folks were pretty upset that we didn't take Luke Joeckel instead of Fisher.....

Red Dawg
06-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Not sure but this was pretty cool

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6oRy0p5Byo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes he did. More than once and he was very good. Shields was a brilliant OL player. Too notch all the way around.