PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Any Motorcycle guys?

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 10:51 AM
I was told to roll an older motorcycle to my shop and just take it from the owner of the building as it was left by the previous tenant of that shop.
Its just an older foreign bike 200 cc I think.
Was thinking of just making it a cafe racer style bike for my wife to learn on or for me to buzz around the beach on.
Worth it or should I drop it off at the junkyard?
(i tried to upload a picture but it keeps failing)

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 11:12 AM
I think if you make a police report of an abandoned vehicle you could probably end up with a title for it. In missouri at least. Some paperwork though. Mailing certified letters and such.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 11:18 AM
I think if you make a police report of an abandoned vehicle you could probably end up with a title for it. In missouri at least. Some paperwork though. Mailing certified letters and such.

I dont think I'd have trouble getting a title. If it's worth the effort just for fun I'd probably modify the frame and get a new title for a custom bike.
Still not sure I want to even mess with it Haha.

Graystoke
06-28-2019, 11:34 AM
I was told to roll an older motorcycle to my shop and just take it from the owner of the building as it was left by the previous tenant of that shop.
Its just an older foreign bike 200 cc I think.
Was thinking of just making it a cafe racer style bike for my wife to learn on or for me to buzz around the beach on.
Worth it or should I drop it off at the junkyard?
(i tried to upload a picture but it keeps failing)

Describe Foreign?

Be careful about what you modify. The last thing you want to do is chop up a bike that may be collectable. You say it is a 200 CC. That could be the very rare Ducati 200GT. Just putting in your head to investigate

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Describe Foreign?

Be careful about what you modify. The last thing you want to do is chop up a bike that may be collectable. You say it is a 200 CC. That could be the very rare Ducati 200GT. Just putting in your head to investigate

I will get the name and model next week.
I was told Japanese and it looks like a Suzuki copy from the early 90s.... it's pretty ugly as is.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 11:42 AM
I tried uploading pictures from my phone and on a computer neither worked. Tried linking an Instagram link and no go.... lemme try Twitter I guess. Havent used it in a long time.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 11:45 AM
https://twitter.com/xHOSS80/status/1144662915636768768?s=09
Maybe that works. Sorry I cant imbed tweets for some reason on a note8

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 11:45 AM
I tried uploading pictures from my phone and on a computer neither worked. Tried linking an Instagram link and no go.... lemme try Twitter I guess. Havent used it in a long time.

imgur seems to work to upload pics here

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 11:47 AM
I dont think I'd have trouble getting a title. If it's worth the effort just for fun I'd probably modify the frame and get a new title for a custom bike.
Still not sure I want to even mess with it Haha.

in MO you'd have to have the highway patrol inspect that before getting a title, modifying the frame wouldnt get you there. but i dont know the laws in your state.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 11:48 AM
in MO you'd have to have the highway patrol inspect that before getting a title, modifying the frame wouldnt get you there. but i dont know the laws in your state.

Florida doesnt have inspections, it's pretty easy down here. Throw an axle on a piece of plywood and add lights and blinkers you got a trailer haha

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Florida doesnt have inspections, it's pretty easy down here. Throw an axle on a piece of plywood and add lights and blinkers you got a trailer haha

yeah, that would be a homemade trailer here too.
i would think even in florida they arent just going to hand out a title to anyone that walksin wanting one... i would assume that there is some type of vin and odo inspection on any homemade vehicle or trailer and any out of state title.

but florida is kinda wonky

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 11:54 AM
http://www.artinmotionllc.net/florida-custom-motorcycle-title-process/

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 11:55 AM
https://itstillruns.com/file-abandoned-vehicle-florida-6311087.html

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 11:55 AM
yeah, that would be a homemade trailer here too.
i would think even in florida they arent just going to hand out a title to anyone that walksin wanting one... i would assume that there is some type of vin and odo inspection on any homemade vehicle or trailer and any out of state title.

but florida is kinda wonky

It's not hard here.
Even if I applied for a lost title it wouldn't be a big deal. I may just tinker with it, sell it to someone else who wants to do the paperwork.

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 12:04 PM
i wouldnt think you could apply for a lost title and then get it back to sell something that wasnt in your name to begin with. well you'd have to forge the owner's signature. but in MO they wont even let you file for a lost title on someone elses vehicle.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 12:09 PM
i wouldnt think you could apply for a lost title and then get it back to sell something that wasnt in your name to begin with. well you'd have to forge the owner's signature. but in MO they wont even let you file for a lost title on someone elses vehicle.

Lost titles replace originals. There is some paperwork but a lost title doesnt remain under that name once its issued its just a title then.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 12:10 PM
And actually in Mo it happens all the time. Many antique vehicle titles are "lost titles"
Barn finds, field finds, most times dont have titles.

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 12:17 PM
And actually in Mo it happens all the time. Many antique vehicle titles are "lost titles"
Barn finds, field finds, most times dont have titles.
in MO a lost title is only different from the original by the words "duplicate title" at the top rather than "original". it still has the owners name on it.
im fairly well versed in this in MO... i own 3 "barn find no title vehicles" right now you have to find a state that doesnt have titles for antique vehicles, get a bill of sale from that state, then get a mo title with that. BUT the last time i did it you couldnt title it first in the state it was previously titled in.

for example my 72 c10 was orig. titled in mo.

i paid a lawyer in alabama to get me a rhode island (iirc) bill of sale.

i had to title it in ks (good thing i still have an address there), then changed it to a mo title after that one came back.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 12:21 PM
im fairly well versed in this in MO... i own 3 "barn find no title vehicles right now" you have to find a state that doesnt have titles for antique vehicles, get a bill of sale from that state, then get a mo title with that. BUT the last time i did it you couldnt title it first in the state it was previously titled in.

for example my 72 c10 was orig. titled in mo.

i paid a lawyer in alabama to get me a rhode island (iirc) bill of sale.

i had to title it in ks (good thing i still have an address there), then changed it to a mo title after that one came back.

I restored cars when I lived in KC, never had an issue getting titles. Of course it's been 20 years. We simply walked in with a bill of sale from the property owner as an affidavit that the vehicle(s) were theirs or rightfully theirs by default of abandonment. The work was then the DMVs job to locate, dispute or issue a title.

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 12:39 PM
I restored cars when I lived in KC, never had an issue getting titles. Of course it's been 20 years. We simply walked in with a bill of sale from the property owner as an affidavit that the vehicle(s) were theirs or rightfully theirs by default of abandonment. The work was then the DMVs job to locate, dispute or issue a title.

Yeah not anymore. Call police. Send registered letters. Wait months.

I've got one going right now here at the shop.

83 cj7 and its been here 5 years.

I still had to go through the motions to get it that way.

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 12:40 PM
Did you have a shop back then? I used to build old cars on kc 20 some years ago too

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Did you have a shop back then? I used to build old cars on kc 20 some years ago too

Worked at a custom shop in Peculiar , was underage because I graduated high school at 15 and no body shop could hire me. I'd had already passed Dupont, Akzo Nobel PPG and Mercedes paint systems.
My dad ran dealerships in the KC area and since I didnt want to ride coat tails I moved to Jeff City and worked my way into Rikey Chevrolet (which got hammered in the tornado)
After that I decided I liked it as a hobby and not a job.

Graystoke
06-28-2019, 01:13 PM
I will get the name and model next week.
I was told Japanese and it looks like a Suzuki copy from the early 90s.... it's pretty ugly as is.

Saw the photo.
Chop away.

Lprechaun
06-28-2019, 01:46 PM
Saw the photo.
Chop away.

Lol, my immediate thoughts as well haha

Perineum Ripper
06-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Yeah not anymore. Call police. Send registered letters. Wait months.

I've got one going right now here at the shop.

83 cj7 and its been here 5 years.

I still had to go through the motions to get it that way.

Hey fucker I will give you $5 for that CJ next time I come over lol

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Hey fucker I will give you $5 for that CJ next time I come over lol

You've seen it right?

Perineum Ripper
06-28-2019, 04:25 PM
You've seen it right?

Probably but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I do need to come back and work on my Expedition and pick your brain some more about the 77 K20

SAUTO
06-28-2019, 05:20 PM
Probably but I can't remember it off the top of my head. I do need to come back and work on my Expedition and pick your brain some more about the 77 K20

Any time.

The jeep is pretty cool. Motor is fresh. 256 iirc. Wheels, tires, winch, already got a push bumper. Gonna get me a plow and it'll just be the shop rig.

cooper barrett
06-28-2019, 06:24 PM
In IN you have to appear in front of a circuit court judge, swear and give them a small stack of documents.

I have had great luck in the last 2 years...

cooper barrett
06-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Where in oddsville?

Worked at a custom shop in Peculiar , was underage because I graduated high school at 15 and no body shop could hire me. I'd had already passed Dupont, Akzo Nobel PPG and Mercedes paint systems.
My dad ran dealerships in the KC area and since I didnt want to ride coat tails I moved to Jeff City and worked my way into Rikey Chevrolet (which got hammered in the tornado)

cooper barrett
06-28-2019, 06:32 PM
I had one of those, FT 4WD, snow plowing, gravel spreading, stump pulling, animal it was.

stevieray
06-28-2019, 09:33 PM
Lol, my immediate thoughts as well haha

That looks like a Honda Rebel.... gets great gas mileage...it's a cruiser, I wouldn't recommend chopping that frame..it isn't made to be a cafe racer.

cooper barrett
06-28-2019, 09:39 PM
not worth fixing unless you have tools and skills.

i have an 83 V45 750 I lost my ass on and it's collectible....real nice city bike but could have bought 1/2 of another for what I spent

TravelingChiefs
06-28-2019, 09:59 PM
That looks like a Honda Rebel.... gets great gas mileage...it's a cruiser, I wouldn't recommend chopping that frame..it isn't made to be a cafe racer.

Definitely looks like a Honda Rebel 250.

TravelingChiefs
06-28-2019, 10:10 PM

Damn. I worked at Riley Chevrolet in the early 90s at the body shop. I was one of the detail guys. We would take turns hiding upstairs sleeping. The longtime parts manager got caught embezzling a few years ago. He had a massive house in the country and I just thought parts managers made lots of money. It made more sense when he got busted.

Lprechaun
06-29-2019, 06:29 AM
Damn. I worked at Riley Chevrolet in the early 90s at the body shop. I was one of the detail guys. We would take turns hiding upstairs sleeping. The longtime parts manager got caught embezzling a few years ago. He had a massive house in the country and I just thought parts managers made lots of money. It made more sense when he got busted.

The body shop manager when I was there was caught taking cash from insurance companies so he would use cheaper parts for replacements.
I dont think a single part was factory replacement if they could get a ho-chi-man one instead was used while I was there

TravelingChiefs
06-29-2019, 09:12 AM
The body shop manager when I was there was caught taking cash from insurance companies so he would use cheaper parts for replacements.
I dont think a single part was factory replacement if they could get a ho-chi-man one instead was used while I was there

That doesn't surprise me.

cooper barrett
06-29-2019, 09:22 AM

Not like everyone didn't do the same thing (like repairing panels and billing for new) but once the insurance companies started getting smart there were a lot of dealer principals, body shop owners, and managers running for cover.

SAUTO
06-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Not like everyone didn't do the same thing (like repairing panels and billing for new) but once the insurance companies started getting smart there were a lot of dealer principals, body shop owners, and managers running for cover.

ROFL. I just ran into this. Got a car with stripes that I hated. It supposedly had a new hood installed in 11 over a couple hail dings (aluminum hood) I've got the receipt.

Fucking dealer repaired it and repainted it and was so cheap they taped off the stripes rather than just install new ones.

I had to get the hood painted. But damn it looks good now lol.

Lprechaun
06-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Actually everyone wasnt doing that. In fact State Farm were the ones who started it.
Then as bigger body shops really started kicking the small guys out a tip went in that insurance companies were at the root. So the smaller shops started catching on and offering post repair inspections.... once they had enough evidence and paperwork from big boys the dominos fell.
It was mainly State Farm insurers who had their own people driving work to those places.
Dealerships were a "victim" and won that part of it from managers taking the money not the owners of the lots.
I was a witness for the prosecution on it and now blacklisted from state farm from it.
Most small shops couldnt afford to not use factory parts as the hochiman ones dont fit and take longer to make right. Hourly guys can be paid and offset that.

SAUTO
06-29-2019, 11:59 AM
Fuck state farm. Fighting with them right now.

I can't believe they will just flat out lie and shit. Like people are stupid.

Like trying to tell you that the seat belt defense is a 70 percent liability in the state of missouri, when you already know that it is in fact capped at 1 percent...

cooper barrett
06-29-2019, 12:05 PM
Back to a POS motorcycle?

Lprechaun
06-29-2019, 12:11 PM
Back to a POS motorcycle?

Lol it truly is.... best thing I know about it is that the key is in the ignition.
If nothing else I will at least learn some mechanic stuff on it.
(Very experienced with many things, mechanic stuff on cars is NOT ever going to be something I'm good at)

Lprechaun
06-29-2019, 12:15 PM
I think you Rebel 250 guys might be spot on.

cooper barrett
06-29-2019, 03:48 PM
Lol it truly is.... best thing I know about it is that the key is in the ignition.
If nothing else I will at least learn some mechanic stuff on it.
(Very experienced with many things, mechanic stuff on cars is NOT ever going to be something I'm good at)

There are few of us who could lay it out with a turbine hvlp gun back in the 90's

What was that shop's name in Peculair? north side of town?

Lprechaun
06-29-2019, 03:51 PM
There are few of us who could lay it out with a turbine hvlp gun back in the 90's

What was that shop's name in Peculair? north side of town?

Kent's Kustomz , yeah I use to love to spray.

cooper barrett
06-29-2019, 04:51 PM
I used to live on 210st and Y , so that's really in that other city. How long ago?

Lprechaun
06-29-2019, 04:55 PM
I used to live on 210st and Y , so that's really in that other city. How long ago?

I was 15 so 24 years ago.

cooper barrett
06-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Yep I never went in. but knew of it. I sold that place in 2005.