PDA

View Full Version : Football New CBA before the 2019 season?

O.city
07-02-2019, 10:19 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFL and NFLPA engaged in talks in an effort to secure a new CBA before the start of the 2019 regular season, sources close to the negotiations told <a href="https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DanGrazianoESPN</a>.<a href="https://t.co/KdVmBqScX8">https://t.co/KdVmBqScX8</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1146089488491433985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

staylor26
07-02-2019, 10:21 AM
But Mecca swears there will be a lockout lol

Hydrae
07-02-2019, 10:25 AM
How odd. I thought they had another year to work through things. This really surprises me if true.

ModSocks
07-02-2019, 10:32 AM
They'll hammer out 90% of it then wait 2 years and a lockout to negotiate the final 10%

Mecca
07-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Considering how far apart they're gonna be on everything I still expect a strike/lockout when its time.

dlphg9
07-02-2019, 10:38 AM
I mean why wouldn't they do it? Why wait until the last minute. On top of that, everything is a drama filled show with the NFL. It gets the NFL more air time with stories like this.

Dante84
07-02-2019, 10:39 AM
If we have a lockout during mahomes’ prime I’ll be so pissed

RunKC
07-02-2019, 10:40 AM
What a disaster the NFLPA is if this happens. Get some ****ing balls. FFS

If they fuck this up, Eric Winston and DeMaurice Smith should get ANTIFA treatment with crowbars to maybe wake the fuck up

O.city
07-02-2019, 10:50 AM

If they **** this up, Eric Winston and DeMaurice Smith should get ANTIFA treatment with crowbars to maybe wake the **** up

Why? What are you talking about?

In58men
07-02-2019, 10:54 AM

If they **** this up, Eric Winston and DeMaurice Smith should get ANTIFA treatment with crowbars to maybe wake the **** up

I’m confused.

staylor26
07-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Why? What are you talking about?

I think he’s assuming the players will get fucked again if they get a deal done quickly.

Chief Roundup
07-02-2019, 11:15 AM
Considering how far apart they're gonna be on everything I still expect a strike/lockout when its time.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27102750/cba-talks-ramp-nfl-nflpa

Though sources cautioned that it's too soon to know whether a new agreement can be reached by the time this one expires -- let alone by the start of this coming season -- both sides seem optimistic that they can come to an agreement without a work stoppage this time.

O.city
07-02-2019, 11:25 AM
I think he’s assuming the players will get ****ed again if they get a deal done quickly.

The current deal is good for the owners.....and the fans.

That's kind of the dirty little secret, for us as fans it's better to be an owners league.

staylor26
07-02-2019, 11:26 AM

That's kind of the dirty little secret, for us as fans it's better to be an owners league.

Oh I agree.

RunKC
07-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Nope. I’m on the other side of the spectrum here. Players need to be accounted for. A lot of their unhappiness stems to our unhappiness.

Thursday Night Football won’t go due to money, but they need to formulate schedules to give teams more time to prepare than 3 days. Most of those games suck because they road team has such a disadvantage, especially when a team has to travel far for the game.

They need to axe the 4th preseason game and use that extra week to include a 2nd bye week and start the season 1 week earlier. Everyone knows that going into training camp, every team knows who they want on their team until about the 48th or 49th spot. They’ve got plenty of time to figure out the last 4-5 depth players they need.
It also makes the fan experience better. A 2nd bye week would help limit injuries and makes the games more competitive.

They also need to include more practice time (non-padded). These can be voluntary, but think of a rookie QB getting more time to learn the playbook?

They also must make changes to hold owners accountable. There is no way in hell Kraft should get off without punishment for his recent actions. If a player did that, they’d Be done. Why should an owner use power to not be punished?

They also need a guideline to use for player punishments in gray area cases (see Tyreek). They need to do this so Goddell can’t just make a long suspension based on his own logic.

There’s a lot of changes players need to push for.

O.city
07-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Nope. I’m on the other side of the spectrum here. Players need to be accounted for. A lot of their unhappiness stems to our unhappiness.

Thursday Night Football won’t go due to money, but they need to formulate schedules to give teams more time to prepare than 3 days. Most of those games suck because they road team has such a disadvantage, especially when a team has to travel far for the game.

They need to axe the 4th preseason game and use that extra week to include a 2nd bye week and start the season 1 week earlier. Everyone knows that going into training camp, every team knows who they want on their team until about the 48th or 49th spot. They’ve got plenty of time to figure out the last 4-5 depth players they need.
It also makes the fan experience better. A 2nd bye week would help limit injuries and makes the games more competitive.

They also need to include more practice time (non-padded). These can be voluntary, but think of a rookie QB getting more time to learn the playbook?

They also must make changes to hold owners accountable. There is no way in hell Kraft should get off without punishment for his recent actions. If a player did that, they’d Be done. Why should an owner use power to not be punished?

They also need a guideline to use for player punishments in gray area cases (see Tyreek). They need to do this so Goddell can’t just make a long suspension based on his own logic.

Sure, some of that is fine. I'd imagine they could get some of that.

The players don't want more practice time. They got less of that in the last CBA and gave up money.

The owners took them to the woodshed over money.

FloridaMan88
07-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Both sides don’t want to mess up the chance to maximize the upcoming new TV contracts.

O.city
07-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Both sides don’t want to mess up the chance to maximize the upcoming new TV contracts.

Pretty much this.

Both sides have pretty big incentive to get it done, one way or another.

O.city
07-02-2019, 12:16 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Previous CBA talks b/w the NFL &amp; NFLPA have been relatively agreeable, however the intention now is negotiations scheduled for July 17-19 will be the 1st time demands are presented on the biggest &amp; potentially most contentious items, per source. Case in Pt: It will get serious.</p>&mdash; ig: josinaanderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/1146120013071491072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mecca
07-02-2019, 12:18 PM
You've already got NFL players on twitter pointing out those NBA contracts, none of them are happy about what they make compared to the other leagues. Oh and the owners want them to play 18 games...

O.city
07-02-2019, 12:29 PM
You've already got NFL players on twitter pointing out those NBA contracts, none of them are happy about what they make compared to the other leagues. Oh and the owners want them to play 18 games...

53 vs what, 14?

NFL players won't get what NBA players get. Logistically, it just won't ever happen. I'm not sure why it's even something to be talked about.

Hydrae
07-02-2019, 01:00 PM

RE: Thursday night games

Expand the international series to have a game each week in another country on these Thursday nights. Then give both teams a bye going into that week so the have 10-11 days off until the game overseas. They then have another 10 days or so until the next game. This gives time for travel and jet lag abatement, expands the overseas games that the NFL really seems to want (thanks, Clark), and should make for better games on a Thursday night as neither team has to plan, practice, and travel all within 3 days.

As to practice, I don't think they need more but I really wish they had more of them in pads. One the issues in the league for the last several years has been a lack of fundamentals, especially on defense. Let these guys practice hitting more and I think the game will be better and it might even reduce injuries overall.

jjchieffan
07-02-2019, 01:01 PM
On a per game basis, the NFL players make more than NBA players. If they want NBA money, they better agree to a 30+ game season. Man, I get so sick of the bullshit greed!!

O.city
07-02-2019, 01:04 PM
On a per game basis, the NFL players make more than NBA players. If they want NBA money, they better agree to a 30+ game season. Man, I get so sick of the bullshit greed!!

Capitalism at it's finest.

Who are we to say what a man is worth?

-King-
07-02-2019, 01:06 PM
53 vs what, 14?

NFL players won't get what NBA players get. Logistically, it just won't ever happen. I'm not sure why it's even something to be talked about.

Not only 53 vs 13 players
But also 82 games vs 16

O.city
07-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Not only 53 vs 13 players
But also 82 games vs 16

Yeah.

And the guaranteed contract thing is dumb to. NFL players can get fully guaranteed deals if they want to go shorter terms and less money. It's just not apples to apples in terms of the injuries and such.

Mecca
07-02-2019, 01:11 PM
I always like the players are greedy argument when that dude that owns the team is worth billions.

NFL players should make more than they do.

Hydrae
07-02-2019, 01:22 PM
I always like the players are greedy argument when that dude that owns the team is worth billions.

If he wasn't worth billions he would not own an NFL team.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-02-2019, 01:25 PM

Tell the players to start their own league.

jjchieffan
07-02-2019, 01:30 PM

How many jobs are paid out of the owner's share? It's not like the owners keep every dime of their money. And look at the past. Teams went broke and struggled to make ends meet building the league to what it is today. The players do nothing for the future of the league. They don't employ hundreds of people. They're just workers coming in and doing a job and then moving on. Why do they deserve a bigger piece?

O.city
07-02-2019, 01:41 PM
How many jobs are paid out of the owner's share? It's not like the owners keep every dime of their money. And look at the past. Teams went broke and struggled to make ends meet building the league to what it is today. The players do nothing for the future of the league. They don't employ hundreds of people. They're just workers coming in and doing a job and then moving on. Why do they deserve a bigger piece?

How many people tune in to watch the owners?

The players make the league. The players need the owners, just as much as that goes the other way.

I don't have a problem with a player maxing his value, either way

RunKC
07-02-2019, 01:52 PM

“The players do nothing for the future of the league.”

Is this a real statement? Holy shit ROFL

Mecca
07-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Yea you tell me how well the NFL would do if they just had to play with scrubs that would take no money.

jjchieffan
07-02-2019, 01:59 PM
“The players do nothing for the future of the league.”

Is this a real statement? Holy shit ROFL

Eric Berry sure did/ is doing a lot for the future of the league. He fleeced the team for every dime he could get then stood on the sidelines looking homeless. Yep, that's how you help the league! Berry, just like most players just want paid. They couldn't care less if the league lasts after they get their money. Berry is a perfect example of that.

-King-
07-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Eric Berry sure did/ is doing a lot for the future of the league. He fleeced the team for every dime he could get then stood on the sidelines looking homeless. Yep, that's how you help the league! Berry, just like most players just want paid. They couldn't care less if the league lasts after they get their money. Berry is a perfect example of that.
You're honestly one of the dumbest and naive people on this site.

Chief Pagan
07-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Who are we to say what a man is worth?

About tree fiddy last time I checked.

Mecca
07-02-2019, 02:22 PM
JJ is seriously one of those rubes that owners love when they do their fucking strike/lockout PR bullshit.

Chief Roundup
07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
RE: Thursday night games

Expand the international series to have a game each week in another country on these Thursday nights. Then give both teams a bye going into that week so the have 10-11 days off until the game overseas. They then have another 10 days or so until the next game. This gives time for travel and jet lag abatement, expands the overseas games that the NFL really seems to want (thanks, Clark), and should make for better games on a Thursday night as neither team has to plan, practice, and travel all within 3 days.

As to practice, I don't think they need more but I really wish they had more of them in pads. One the issues in the league for the last several years has been a lack of fundamentals, especially on defense. Let these guys practice hitting more and I think the game will be better and it might even reduce injuries overall.
Fuck that international series shit. I wish they would just let that shit go or open the NFLE back up again.
I agree on the practice stuff! They need to have more practices with and without pads.

Chief Roundup
07-02-2019, 05:28 PM
The players do nothing for the future of the league.

The players are responsible for:
Making more and more fans.
Making the NFL profitable to continue into the future.
Making young people want to play in the NFL in the future.
Making memories, amazing plays that last long into the future.
Those just a few easy ones right off the top of my head. I am sure there are many many more. Old timers could also say that these and future players will continue to payback to the old timers that actually made this sport what it has become. The players are the ones that asked for that money to be set aside for those players.

Best22
07-02-2019, 05:31 PM
TNF should be a once-a-month game

Discuss Thrower
07-02-2019, 05:35 PM
TNF should be a once-a-month game

Not that it would ever happen, but an ideal scenario would be to extend the season by one week, add a second regular season bye to allow the schedulers to accommodate TNF and their bullshit handful of foreign games to ensure nobody plays on fewer than five days rest. It would require coming to an agreement with the NCAA to put their National Title game on a Tuesday or Saturday potentially but w/ever.

Tribal Warfare
07-02-2019, 05:42 PM
PMII Effect , Brosph

jjchieffan
07-02-2019, 06:43 PM
The players are responsible for:
Making more and more fans.
Making the NFL profitable to continue into the future.
Making young people want to play in the NFL in the future.
Making memories, amazing plays that last long into the future.
Those just a few easy ones right off the top of my head. I am sure there are many many more. Old timers could also say that these and future players will continue to payback to the old timers that actually made this sport what it has become. The players are the ones that asked for that money to be set aside for those players.

You do realize that you are changing the meaning of what I said, right? The things that you have brought up are nothing more than the effects of the players being on the field. The players aren't investing in anything but themselves with the money they get. The so called "evil" owners are investing in the team, the NFL, and in 100's of jobs. The owners built and maintain the NFL. The players just build and maintain themselves.

-King-
07-02-2019, 07:32 PM
You do realize that you are changing the meaning of what I said, right? The things that you have brought up are nothing more than the effects of the players being on the field. The players aren't investing in anything but themselves with the money they get. The so called "evil" owners are investing in the team, the NFL, and in 100's of jobs. The owners built and maintain the NFL. The players just build and maintain themselves.
So how long do you think those owners would have had a league without elite talent players?

BlackOp
07-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Teams should be able to dress every player on their active roster....it's a stupid rule. They are getting paid..

jjchieffan
07-02-2019, 09:16 PM
So how long do you think those owners would have had a league without elite talent players?

And how would the elite players become rich greedy millionaires without the efforts that the NFL owners have put in for decades?

SAUTO
07-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Teams should be able to dress every player on their active roster....it's a stupid rule. They are getting paid..

I've never understood that.

Naptown Chief
07-02-2019, 09:26 PM

I've never understood that.

Indeed.

jjchieffan
07-02-2019, 09:59 PM

I can see the reasoning behind it. There are always going to be injured players. Those extra spots are there for that purpose. I don't think that anyone wants a 46 man roster. But really, that's what it is. It's a 46 man roster with extra spots to protect a few guys on the roster in case of injury. If you look at from that point of view, then it makes sense.

oldman
07-02-2019, 10:12 PM
I wonder if Thursday night really makes a lot of money. The only time I watch it is when the Chiefs play. I doubt I'm alone.

-King-
07-03-2019, 03:37 AM
And how would the elite players become rich greedy millionaires without the efforts that the NFL owners have put in for decades?

People would still want to watch them play. Money would be made eventually. I bet you'd want to see a Mahomes to Hill touchdown pass even if Clark hunt wasn't the owner of the chiefs right?

BossChief
07-03-2019, 08:26 AM
I wonder which side chose to leak this info. It’s promising in the moment, but also seems put out there this early “just in case”...because both sides know this is going to be a bloody battle.

jjchieffan
07-03-2019, 09:11 AM
People would still want to watch them play. Money would be made eventually. I bet you'd want to see a Mahomes to Hill touchdown pass even if Clark hunt wasn't the owner of the chiefs right?

There wouldn't be a Chiefs, or an AFC if not for Lamar Hunt and his efforts. So I wouldn't know who they are or care anything about Hill or Mahomes if not for the efforrs of the owners.

-King-
07-03-2019, 09:20 AM
There wouldn't be a Chiefs, or an AFC if not for Lamar Hunt and his efforts. So I wouldn't know who they are or care anything about Hill or Mahomes if not for the efforrs of the owners.
You do realize college football was a thing before the NFL right? And it was insanely popular.

Turns out people love watching football and they'll watch elite players playing even if there is no owner. Crazy right? So yeah even if they were on a sandlot, we'd still want to see Mahomes and Hill.

jjchieffan
07-03-2019, 10:13 AM
You do realize college football was a thing before the NFL right? And it was insanely popular.

Turns out people love watching football and they'll watch elite players playing even if there is no owner. Crazy right? So yeah even if they were on a sandlot, we'd still want to see Mahomes and Hill.

Yes. People would want to see them.... even on a sandlot. But it wouldn't be a billion dollar industry. How rich do college football players get? The owners built the league. They put in the effort. The league owners negotiate the TV contracts that allow the players to get rich.The players and their insane contracts are the beneficiaries of that effort. They should be grateful for the opportunity to become rich, not greedily fighting for more.

RunKC
07-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Stop with this stupid shit dude. NFL players do countless acts of service for their communities. Mahomes just created his own charity and has already been at Big Slick and Children's KC.

If anyone here had to replace one of Patrick Mahomes or Clark Hunt, we all know who would be replaced.

Mahomes is going to make Clark even more money. More fans will come to games, ticket prices will go up, parking prices will go up, training camp tickets will go up, etc.

You can switch out any owner with another owner and nobody would give a shit. Can’t do that with star players, especially a Patrick Mahomes.

Dunerdr
07-03-2019, 10:19 AM
both sides are stupid rich. but its like any buisness the owner is gonna make more because hes making money off of his employees.

-King-
07-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Yes. People would want to see them.... even on a sandlot. But it wouldn't be a billion dollar industry. How rich do college football players get? The owners built the league. They put in the effort. The league owners negotiate the TV contracts that allow the players to get rich.The players and their insane contracts are the beneficiaries of that effort. They should be grateful for the opportunity to become rich, not greedily fighting for more.

College players don't earn money cause the NCAA is corrupt. Not because the product they put out doesn't earn money.

And how come you have no issue with the billionaire owners being selfish and wanting more?

jjchieffan
07-03-2019, 10:57 AM
College players don't earn money cause the NCAA is corrupt. Not because the product they put out doesn't earn money.

And how come you have no issue with the billionaire owners being selfish and wanting more?

I don't hear anything about the owners wanting more. Everything that is being said about a possible labor stoppage is about the players, who are already getting $200 million per team, wanting even more. As I've poi Ted out numerous times, that's plenty of money to go around for 53 players. The problem is, that the Kirk Cousins get $28 million of that, the Aaron Rodgers get $32 million of that, and the Eric Berry's get $14 million of that to stand on the sidelines looking homeless. It's the overpaid top athletes that are taking money from the pockets of the other players. Place the blame where it belongs. The last CBA established the rookie wage scale and increased the portion that the players get. During that time, quarterback salaries have more than doubled. As have most of the elite positions. Face it, the elite guys are paid very well. And if you increase the cap position, it will still be the elite few realizing the benefits. Oh sure, not elites will get a little more. But nothing in proportion to what the elite players will get. Raise the cap by $20 million and Patrick Mahomes will get $50 million per year, but Michael Schwartz will only get $10 million. Leave things how they are, give Mahomes $30 million per year, and Schwartz can still get that $10 million. It's not about how big of a piece that the players get. It's all about how it's divided up. An extra million or 2 in a less than elite players contract might actually make a difference. But really, what is Mahomes going to do with $50 million that he can't do with $30 million? I will never understand wanting to be paid more money than you and your next 5 generations could ever possibly hope to spend. What's the point? At some point, it goes from setting up your future to just being greedy.

Rausch
07-03-2019, 10:58 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NFL and NFLPA engaged in talks in an effort to secure a new CBA before the start of the 2019 regular season, sources close to the negotiations told <a href="https://twitter.com/DanGrazianoESPN?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DanGrazianoESPN</a>.<a href="https://t.co/KdVmBqScX8">https://t.co/KdVmBqScX8</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1146089488491433985?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2019</a></blockquote>

Yeah, I doubt that happens.

It would be good to have a deal worked out quickly but I'm not optimistic...

O.city
07-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Elite players make more, because they're elite. QB's make what the market demands they make. Not everyone is going to be equal, it's not a socialist league setup.

Take out the taxes on that money, they aren't exactly walking away with 38 million per year.

If we're gonna call players greedy for getting what the market sets, why aren't we upset the owners won't open their books up to the public so we can see what they make?

Each teams salary is paid for by the TV deals. THe owners pocket the rest.

O.city
07-03-2019, 11:04 AM
If you think players are greedy because they get what they can from the team they're already on, what would you think if they hit the actual open market in their prime?

If Mahomes was an unrestricted free agent in 2 years and the Chiefs couldn't tag him or keep him and he hit the legit market, no strings attached, he'd get 30% more from another team than the Chiefs could get him.

Frankly, teams are getting these guys at a discount

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2019, 11:09 AM
If you think players are greedy because they get what they can from the team they're already on, what would you think if they hit the actual open market in their prime?

If Mahomes was an unrestricted free agent in 2 years and the Chiefs couldn't tag him or keep him and he hit the legit market, no strings attached, he'd get 30% more from another team than the Chiefs could get him.

Frankly, teams are getting these guys at a discount

This. I don’t quite understand people being upset that the guys who put their bodies on the line request more compensation.

Chief Roundup
07-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Arthur Blank, Stephen Bisciotti, Robert C. McNair, Clark Hunt, Stephen M. Ross, Zygi Wilf, John Mara and Steve Tisch, Jed York are all owners that have been an owner for one decade.

KSA Industries (A Holding Company Established by Former Owner Bud Adams), Stan Kroenke, Mark and Carol Davis, Shahid Khan, Martha Ford, Jimmy Haslam, Terry Pegula, David Tepper, and whomever will be the owner of the Broncos all have less than a decade of ownership.

Ownership changes too, that is more than half of the league that is anywhere from just over a decade to a couple of years.
Ask these owners if they want to play with the same level of talent that the USFL, AAF, Arena League, etc. and see what they say. They know that the product would be virtually worthless. They would be trying to sell as quickly as they possibly could.