PDA

View Full Version : Football HOF to consider 20 enshrinees for 2020

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
07-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Heard them talking about this on the radio on my drive home. Interesting idea, IF they do use it to break the logjam for some of the seniors who've been waiting forever (Otis Taylor, anyone?).

The announcer who's apparently on the HOF voting committee was discussing they'd probably break it into two different sections, the regular eight in one session and then 12 more in a separate session so they could focus on the guys who've been out of the league 20, 30, 40 years and still waiting to get looked at.

Interesting idea to say the least.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034967/article/david-baker-hof-to-consider-20-enshrinees-for-2020

Discuss Thrower
07-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Do it and then cap subsequent HoF classes at five players and one 'contributor'.

Rain Man
07-02-2019, 09:31 PM
This is really interesting.

The article places some different numbers on it. The way I'm reading it, they'd like to add 9 old-time players and maybe 3 or 4 "contributors" beyond the normal number.

I wonder if the plan would be to add one guy from each decade in honor of the centennial. That would be pretty cool.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-03-2019, 06:23 AM
I am all for more ancient NFL players. That era is dreadfully neglected in NFL history.

KC_Lee
07-03-2019, 07:30 AM

The article places some different numbers on it. The way I'm reading it, they'd like to add 9 old-time players and maybe 3 or 4 "contributors" beyond the normal number.

I wonder if the plan would be to add one guy from each decade in honor of the centennial. That would be pretty cool.

That sounds like a CP poll / tournament Mr. Rain Man.

bowener
07-03-2019, 11:29 AM

I don't know the number on worthy members still waiting to get in, but maybe the NFL should consider adopting a new practice of enshrining at least 1 player from every decade, plus the typical HOF class.

Or completely change it up to attempt to level out each decade to have a similar number of enshrinees or break it down by NFL era. That last part would be tricky to do since you'd have to find a definition of what an NFL era is and when it started and ended.

Rain Man
07-03-2019, 12:03 PM
I don't know the number on worthy members still waiting to get in, but maybe the NFL should consider adopting a new practice of enshrining at least 1 player from every decade, plus the typical HOF class.

Or completely change it up to attempt to level out each decade to have a similar number of enshrinees or break it down by NFL era. That last part would be tricky to do since you'd have to find a definition of what an NFL era is and when it started and ended.

There's some weird math involved, too. If one compares when the league had 8 teams compared to having 32 teams today, then should the league be producing four times more hall of famers? One could make that argument, but one could also argue that an 8-team league was much more dense in talent, so they should have quadruple the number of hall of famers since the talent is much more diluted these days. I'm not sure that there's a correct answer to this question.

RealSNR
07-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Interesting that as soon as they admit Terrell Davis, now they're saying, "Oh... dang... all these old guys are like, waaaaaay more deserving. That's kind of a problem..."

Mile High Mania
07-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Interesting that as soon as they admit Terrell Davis, now they're saying, "Oh... dang... all these old guys are like, waaaaaay more deserving. That's kind of a problem..."

I think it's more of a view into the next decade and all of the players with amazing stats that will take attention away from those older era guys.

lawrenceRaider
07-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Sounds like a way for the NFL to put more undeserving Donks into the HOF to me.

No way they put actually deserving guys like Cliff Branch into the HOF with this policy.

Hydrae
07-03-2019, 01:45 PM
I really think they are looking at guys most of us (certainly me) have never heard of from the 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. I heard them talking about this on Talk of Fame a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about names I had never heard of but they were all excited about this possibility. Bringing out more of the early history of the league is a good thing for a museum in my opinion.

TEX
07-03-2019, 03:27 PM

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-03-2019, 04:25 PM
I really think they are looking at guys most of us (certainly me) have never heard of from the 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. I heard them talking about this on Talk of Fame a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about names I had never heard of but they were all excited about this possibility. Bringing out more of the early history of the league is a good thing for a museum in my opinion.

It is about time. I have a list of players who deserve induction from that fascinating era.

Glenn Presnell should be a hall of famer.