PDA

View Full Version : Football Contract money vs legacy

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Since we do now have Mahomes, he will retire as a Chief, and with the upcoming contract for him (ungodly numbers) I got thinking about what he has shown so far and wondered if it could turn into a club friendly contract to ensure the ability to get more talent around him.
Its really a money issue, what is enough and what is in the end just simply not needed. His agent doesnt jump at money, he is quirky but smart. He told Mahomes the money would show up and he needed to concentrate on the game.
PM2 didnt come from a poor family living in squalor, I think legacy might mean more to him than a bigger NFL contract.
As this team turns the page from the Pats as the team where players want to go we will have no shortage of team friendly contracts of players wanting a championship.
OR is money that important and we just hope we can draft well enough to put a team around him?
(He deserves every cent, I see him not taking it like others have just to have it.)

TambaBerry
07-03-2019, 01:29 PM
honestly its not his problem to think about building the team. Its his career, make as much money as you can because you don't know when it will all end.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 01:32 PM
honestly its not his problem to think about building the team. Its his career, make as much money as you can because you don't know when it will all end.

Well, with your thought than wouldnt it be prudent for him to ensure the ability of a good offensive line to prolong his career? Look at Andrew Luck, huge contract and gets the crap kicked out of him because they cant afford an offensive line.

sedated
07-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Well, with your thought than wouldnt it be prudent for him to ensure the ability of a good offensive line to prolong his career? Look at Andrew Luck, huge contract and gets the crap kicked out of him because they cant afford an offensive line.

That was not a matter of money, it was a matter of incompetence. Within 2 years of hiring a good GM, their o-line problems were fixed.

jjchieffan
07-03-2019, 01:51 PM
It would be nice to see Mahomes do something like that. After all, what difference would it make in his life if he made $200 million or $400 million? Is that extra money going to do anything besides sit in a bank account? I would rather have $200 million and 10 Superbowl rings because I had better talent around me than $400 million and just one or 2 rings. Question is, will Mahomes feel that way?

O.city
07-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Old fat idiots on a message board care more about "legacy" than a player does.

Make your money, win then ride off into the sunset.

(In before some bullshit about "brady takes less and they win" blah blah blah. Sure he does, his wife is worth a half a billion)

Why Not?
07-03-2019, 02:02 PM
It would be nice to see Mahomes do something like that. After all, what difference would it make in his life if he made $200 million or $400 million? Is that extra money going to do anything besides sit in a bank account? I would rather have $200 million and 10 Superbowl rings because I had better talent around me than $400 million and just one or 2 rings. Question is, will Mahomes feel that way?

It’s easy to say that when no one is offering you either option. I’m guessing 99.9 % of the free world would take the $400 million.

ptlyon
07-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Endorsements

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 02:15 PM
I think it's a possibility he doesnt force the hand for the highest QB contract, but I think it would be smart to make sure that what you possibly save on him goes to benefit him on the field.
Hardware means more to someone who never saw poverty than most of us who have been or are poor who would jump at money.

ThaVirus
07-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Taking less money doesn't guarantee you a ring.

Make as much as you can, play your heart out, and hope your front office and coaching are competent enough to build a championship level team around you.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-03-2019, 02:36 PM
He's one hit away from a wheelchair. If he's smart he milks it for all he can.

-King-
07-03-2019, 02:37 PM

I'd rather have 400 million and 1 or 2 rings.

jjchieffan
07-03-2019, 02:53 PM
I'd rather have 400 million and 1 or 2 rings.

Even if that extra $200 million is just sitting in a bank doing absolutely nothing for you? Why?? What's the point of having it if you could never possibly hope to spend it?

BigCatDaddy
07-03-2019, 02:55 PM
He will make more money in endorsements than playing in the NFL. He will be the NFL version of Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. Just an iconic figure.

-King-
07-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Even if that extra $200 million is just sitting in a bank doing absolutely nothing for you? Why?? What's the point of having it if you could never possibly hope to spend it?
I get to support my family for generations through any emergency that money can fix. I'll take that any day over extra Superbowl rings

Bump
07-03-2019, 02:57 PM

Because having that type of security for yourself and your kids and grandkids is better than just having nice things?

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 03:00 PM
I get to support my family for generations through any emergency that money can fix. I'll take that any day over extra Superbowl rings

He'd be able to do that anyways.
There are two types of people, neither worse or better than the other. I personally would rather have the rings and records.
Plenty of money to be made while spreading it around to teammates.
But Ive never been about having more than someone else, Id rather work hard and work hard to help others succeed

jjchieffan
07-03-2019, 03:33 PM
There are two types of people, neither worse or better than the other. I personally would rather have the rings and records.
But Ive never been about having more than someone else, Id rather work hard and work hard to help others succeed

This

-King-
07-03-2019, 03:37 PM

People have gone broke with 200 mil before. I'll take as much money as possible and set my family up for as many generations as possible.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 03:41 PM
People have gone broke with 200 mil before. I'll take as much money as possible and set my family up for as many generations as possible.

That makes very little sense in the aspect of if you can go broke with 200 million you somehow wont with more?
Billionaires have lost everything, thats on them in one way or another. Other billionaires can do what you say, and then there are people like Bill Gates who know that a few million dollars can set you up for life and giving the rest away to help others is what riches are for.
I again dont blame anyone for wanting more money, I want more money, but say i signed a 200 million dollar contract and had endorsements, Id build houses and give them to people deserving of a fresh start.

-King-
07-03-2019, 03:43 PM
That makes very little sense in the aspect of if you can go broke with 200 million you somehow wont with more?
Billionaires have lost everything, thats on them in one way or another. Other billionaires can do what you say, and then there are people like Bill Gates who know that a few million dollars can set you up for life and giving the rest away to help others is what riches are for.
I again dont blame anyone for wanting more money, I want more money, but say i signed a 200 million dollar contract and had endorsements, Id build houses and give them to people deserving of a fresh start.
I want as much money as possible. It's that simple. If I already have great success like Mahomes and have already win 1 or 2 rings like in the scenario jj posted then I'd rather have the $200 mil extra.

And a lot of the millionaires who went broke went broke because of the last sentence in your post. Which is another reason why you should want as much money as possible if your goal is to help others.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 03:46 PM
I want as much money as possible. It's that simple. If I already have great success like Mahomes and have already win 1 or 2 rings like in the scenario jj posted then I'd rather have the $200 mil extra.

Like I said, nothing wrong with that. I play that "if I had unlimited money what would I buy thought" and man personally Id have a 1500 sq ft home in the mountains and decked out woodshop and a 56 Ford pickup.
The rest Id give away

Bob Dole
07-03-2019, 03:59 PM

People with no sense.

PMII clearly has sense.

MahiMike
07-03-2019, 04:01 PM

Horribly stupid take. Do it the Brady way and get those rings. The money will come.

loochy
07-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Horribly stupid take. Do it the Brady way and get those rings. The money will come.<br />
<br />
Not if you get Teddy Bridgewatered. This game will throw you out the door if you aren't useful anymore. Get the money now.

Best22
07-03-2019, 04:05 PM
We’re approaching the start of the 2019 season, with the best roster in KC history, and you’re worrying about how many M’s Patrick’s gonna make in 2020?

:shake:

ModSocks
07-03-2019, 04:06 PM
Take the money.

Besides, you really only need 1-2 rings to cement a legacy, not 4-6.

Best22
07-03-2019, 04:08 PM

$200m vs $400m?

Huge difference in reality. That’s extra money in case of emergency, extra cash for your family inheritance (ensure your kids never live in poverty) charity, etc.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 04:19 PM
We’re approaching the start of the 2019 season, with the best roster in KC history, and you’re worrying about how many M’s Patrick’s gonna make in 2020?

:shake:

The conversation is about ensuring we can field that sort of roster for years and years to come or rather or not PM2 would rather have the money.
No one is discounting what is going to be on the field this year, what will be there after his contract?

ModSocks
07-03-2019, 04:21 PM
The conversation is about ensuring we can field that sort of roster for years and years to come or rather or not PM2 would rather have the money.
No one is discounting what is going to be on the field this year, what will be there after his contract?

Again, PMII only need 2 SB rings to cement a legacy, in what will likely be a 15+ year career.

He's going to get both money and legacy. So it's moot.

-King-
Horribly stupid take. Do it the Brady way and get those rings. The money will come.

The Brady way only exists because he has a wife that makes more money than him.

Lprechaun
$200m vs $400m?

Huge difference in reality. That’s extra money in case of emergency, extra cash for your family inheritance (ensure your kids never live in poverty) charity, etc.

Bill Gates is worth 100 BILLION dollars.... his kids are set for life in his eyes with inheriting 10 Million ....
Smart people vs people scared more than enough wont be enough

BigRedChief
07-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Didn’t Tom take a pay cut later in his career to allow them some cap room to add some receivers?

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Didn’t Tom take a pay cut later in his career to allow them some cap room to add some receivers?

Yes, I have to hear it from my friends all the time about how good of a guy he is for doing it.
So I then tell them Alex Smith restructured his deal too and the old parable about the poor woman who gave all she had vs the rich who only gave out of their surplus really makes him mad considering I basically compare his QB to Alex Smith in the who is better for their team chemistry guy haha

Chiefshrink
07-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Hopefully he will take the TB approach that has allowed Bellichek to bring in talent when needed.;)

tyecopeland
07-03-2019, 05:51 PM
In the words of BIG

Fuck bitches get money

mcaj22
07-03-2019, 06:10 PM
One thing that always amazes me about CP is year after year a user float this idea that the discount or the hometown discount for ____ player still exists like it's the 90s or early 2000s.

Eleazar
07-03-2019, 06:30 PM
Old fat idiots on a message board care more about "legacy" than a player does.

Make your money, win then ride off into the sunset.

(In before some bullshit about "brady takes less and they win" blah blah blah. Sure he does, his wife is worth a half a billion)

This.

Unless you are one of the greatest players of all time, the answer is money.

Even then, it's a false choice, but they are all going to choose money. Nobody who's actually good has to settle for a discount.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 07:21 PM
One thing that always amazes me about CP is year after year a user float this idea that the discount or the hometown discount for ____ player still exists like it's the 90s or early 2000s.

Maybe because a lot of us hanker for players like George Brett who was a KC player thru and thru and players like DT ... nothing wrong in hoping. Besides its just a discussion, I fully expect him to he the highest paid QB ever.

CapsLockKey
07-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Was Brady giving discounts on his first and second contacts? Guy has been in the league for two decades with a wife who has a net worth more than him. When you already have a few hundred million in the bank it's a lot easier to do. In Mahomes current situation, you take the money.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Was Brady giving discounts on his first and second contacts? Guy has been in the league for two decades with a wife who has a net worth more than him. When you already have a few hundred million in the bank it's a lot easier to do. In Mahomes current situation, you take the money.

That's the first argument for taking the money I've seen that makes the most sense

BossChief
07-03-2019, 08:08 PM

He actually was.

There was a period where he was pissed because he took a discounted contract with belief the team would help put weapons around him with the money and then they traded away his top receiver.

Jerok
07-03-2019, 08:13 PM
There's no such thing as a hometown discount for a guy raised in Texas who went to KC. Good lord, that's not 'hometown discount' that just 'discount.' No reason the best QB in years should get paid less just cause Chiefs fans thinks he owes the city something.

Lprechaun
07-03-2019, 08:31 PM
There's no such thing as a hometown discount for a guy raised in Texas who went to KC. Good lord, that's not 'hometown discount' that just 'discount.' No reason the best QB in years should get paid less just cause Chiefs fans thinks he owes the city something.

No one said he owed the city or the fans anything.
It was simply a question of legacy (possible take out Brady as the "goat") or money.
No one is arguing he isnt or wont be worth it.
But being able to pay other stars definitely helps solidify more chances at SBs.

tredadda
07-03-2019, 08:50 PM

That works when you have a wife with the net worth that she has.

tredadda
07-03-2019, 08:52 PM

Why should he accept less than he is worth? That makes no sense to me.

BossChief
07-03-2019, 09:11 PM
By signing the highest QB contract extension in history next offseason, Mahomes WILL be takings hometown discount. I bet he would take the deal RW got plus the appropriate increase due to increase to the cap from last year to this year.

If the cap goes up a similar amount as the past few, it will be 200m next year. That puts the fair price for Mahomes at 37.19m per year...which makes the whole contract look like:

5 years
186 million
69m signing bonus
80m fully guaranteed
110-120m guaranteed

Which makes his cap hits line up like this, year to year...

2019 4.479m
2020 19m (13.8 of this number is the prorated signing bonus)
2021 31m
2022 32m
2023 37m
2024 43m
2025 43m

That’s a steal of a deal for a guy that automatically puts you in the Super Bowl picture.

MMXcalibur
07-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Every player from Mahomes down to the last person on the roster need to do anything and everything to make as much money as possible because the NFL will chew you up and spit you out without a second thought.

I don't fault any player one bit holding out for more $$$.

Chiefaholic
07-03-2019, 10:15 PM
I see Mahomes as the first $200 million contract and likely earn every damn penny of it. Mahomes doesn't need elite talent around him, but it sure is nice while we can still afford it.

God of Thunder
07-03-2019, 10:21 PM

You must be dense......the money isn't just for you. It's ensuring that your kids never have to work. Their kids never have to work - and future generations are taken care of even after you're in the dirt.

Eleazar
07-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Why should he accept less than he is worth? That makes no sense to me.

He shouldn’t, and he won’t.

We are just wetting our pants about the salary cap several years in advance, I guess.

CasselGotPeedOn
07-03-2019, 11:04 PM

As usual you're a moron.

Abba-Dabba
07-04-2019, 12:19 AM

You've chosen your teammates strength of financial security is more important than your own family.

O.city
07-04-2019, 05:35 AM
By signing the highest QB contract extension in history next offseason, Mahomes WILL be takings hometown discount. I bet he would take the deal RW got plus the appropriate increase due to increase to the cap from last year to this year.

If the cap goes up a similar amount as the past few, it will be 200m next year. That puts the fair price for Mahomes at 37.19m per year...which makes the whole contract look like:

5 years
186 million
69m signing bonus
80m fully guaranteed
110-120m guaranteed

2019 4.479m
2021 31m
2022 32m
2023 37m
2024 43m
2025 43m

That’s a steal of a deal for a guy that automatically puts you in the Super Bowl picture.

The spotrac dude was on 610 the other day and brought up an interesting point.

Mahomes May or could choose to go for a shorter term fully guaranteed deal that would allow him to keep hitting the “market” so to say, more often

Lprechaun
07-04-2019, 08:06 AM
You've chosen your teammates strength of financial security is more important than your own family.

It's not like he either makes 400 million or 8 bucks an hour lol his family will be just fine.

BossChief
07-04-2019, 08:21 AM
The spotrac dude was on 610 the other day and brought up an interesting point.

Mahomes May or could choose to go for a shorter term fully guaranteed deal that would allow him to keep hitting the “market” so to say, more often

I could see him doing that on his first extension because the new CBA should get more $ for the players. This doesn’t seem like a kid that the most important thing is money, though. It’s gonna be interesting to see how it goes.

SAUTO
07-04-2019, 08:58 AM

5 years
186 million
69m signing bonus
80m fully guaranteed
110-120m guaranteed

2019 4.479m
2021 31m
2022 32m
2023 37m
2024 43m
2025 43m

There's been speculation he will get a 4 year fully guaranteed deal

BossChief
07-04-2019, 10:19 AM
4 for 150 fully guaranteed half as signing bonus would be great with me

jjchieffan
07-04-2019, 10:26 AM
You must be dense......the money isn't just for you. It's ensuring that your kids never have to work. Their kids never have to work - and future generations are taken care of even after you're in the dirt.

I believe that you're the dense one. First of all, let's not pretend that he won't make $100 million + from endorsements. Secondly, Unless he's just plain stupid with his money, he, his kids, and future generations will be taken care of off of $200 million. Besides, $200 million was thrown out as an arbitrary number. Now that I'm thinking about it, that number is ridiculously low. If he were to play until he's 40, that's 19 years in the league and only $11 Million per year. Realistically, even a bargain deal would be more than double that. He could start at $20 million per year, with modest increases, and still top half a billion dollars for his career. So maybe I should ask what's he going to do with a billion dollars over his career that he couldn't do with half a billion?

TLO
07-04-2019, 10:42 AM
In the words of BIG

**** bitches get money

In the words of BIG SMOKE

"All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ"

Lurker
07-04-2019, 10:55 AM
70% of Rich Families Lose Their Wealth by the Second Generation
http://money.com/money/3925308/rich-families-lose-wealth/
Indeed, 70% of wealthy families lose their wealth by the second generation, and a stunning 90% by the third, according to the Williams Group wealth consultancy.

1 in 6 NFL players go bankrupt
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/1-in-6-nfl-players-go-bankrupt/
Taken in total, almost 16 percent of the players studied declared bankruptcy during the first twelve years of retirement. The bankruptcies did not correlate with the amount of money made over a career or the length of time in the league.

One more data point, some lottery winners are killed by their own friends and relatives over the money. Many of them lose most of their relationships due to the expectations of people around them. Many of them are also declaring bankruptcy within 5 years.

IOW, getting $400 million instead of $200 million won't really accomplish what many of you seem to think it will (securing your family for generations). $200 million plus education about how to handle money will help more the $400 million without.

At some point, being smart about how you handle money is more important than the actual quantity. You have little control over how your children and grandchildren handle money. You have virtually no control over the great-grandchildren and beyond. If your children and grand-children grow up with that kind of money, will their friends and mates truly be their friends or just hangers-on? You have no control over your descendants' quality of life. I would argue leaving them a buttload of money is as likely to set them up for failure or unhappiness as not.

I don't really care what Mahomes does contractually. Thinking getting $40 mil per year instead of $35 mil per year will make a difference to his descendants is delusional. He seems to be better at looking for long-term payoffs instead of short-sighted money grabs than most. His people seem to be good at taking care of his interests and the Chiefs will take care of theirs so I'm not worried about it.

ThaVirus
07-04-2019, 11:47 AM
LOL People are really delusional.

Assuming the best as far as you're concerned, what would three or four Super Bowl rings do for him that one or two wouldn't?

And imagine he takes a discount and we don't win any more 'ships. He'd look like a real schlub.

ghak99
07-04-2019, 12:16 PM

The last thing I'd want to leave behind is a line of ancestors who never have to work.

Idle hands and all.

PAChiefsGuy
07-04-2019, 12:26 PM
I hope he has learned from Brady and takes that route. Brady really deserves a lot of credit for taking less money and it is one of the reasons he has won so many SBs...

The greed of some of you posters here amazes me. Wtf does it matter if someone is worth an extra $100 million if they are already worth $400 million? Can't take the money with you when you die...

-King-
07-04-2019, 12:33 PM
I hope he has learned from Brady and takes that route. Brady really deserves a lot of credit for taking less money and it is one of the reasons he has won so many SBs...

The greed of some of you posters here amazes me. Wtf does it matter if someone is worth an extra $100 million if they are already worth $400 million? Can't take the money with you when you die...

How hard is it understand Brady is the really the only one in a position to do that since he's married to a woman who makes even more than him? It's only been pointed out at least 5 times in this thread.

And you can't take money with you when you die but you can sure as hell give it to your kids or to charity or do a lot to help people out with it. I think you can help more people with an extra 100 million than you can with an extra Superbowl ring or 2.

PAChiefsGuy
07-04-2019, 12:58 PM
How hard is it understand Brady is the really the only one in a position to do that since he's married to a woman who makes even more than him? It's only been pointed out at least 5 times in this thread.

And you can't take money with you when you die but you can sure as hell give it to your kids or to charity or do a lot to help people out with it. I think you can help more people with an extra 100 million than you can with an extra Superbowl ring or 2.

Do some research Brady took less money than he could have before he started dating Giselle.

Its a sign of good leadership to take less money than you can because you realistically don't need it so your teammates can make more. It can also help our GM get Mahomes more help.

Im not going to hold it against him if he doesnt take less money but ideally I think it'd be great to see the elite QBs on any team do this.

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 01:02 PM
It's ensuring that your kids never have to work. Their kids never have to work - and future generations are taken care of even after you're in the dirt.

Not trying to poke at you personally here and I get your point but why would anyone want this ?? A sure disastrous recipe for creating a very soft family(Look at the Kennedys or any dynasty wealthy family for example-majority are train wrecks) and produces a very soft society(Look at the underbelly of our country-nobody wants to work).

Depends on how you define 'never having to work'. Being the richest nation on earth, look at how soft our underbelly is as a society now with decades not working or underachieving because of our immense wealth along with technology advancement to enable this to happen. Generally speaking here, what I see are those that are 35yrs old and younger are just plain soft and they complain the most.

Wealth should never dictate how hard you should or should not work, PERIOD There are severe consequences all the way around IF you do.;)

Here below is a great Christian philosopher/apologist(Ravi Zacharias) in a very short excerpt explaining why 'infinite unbridled pleasure' leads to a 'meaningless life'. If you like this and want a more in-depth answer to this concept then I have included the following video as well. Enjoy!;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/03qR8b4P8Uk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In-depth answer. Talk starts at the 3:45 mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rBKloiWOias" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King-
07-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Do some research Brady took less money than he could have before he started dating Giselle.

Its a sign of good leadership to take less money than you can because you realistically don't need it so your teammates can make more. It can also help our GM get Mahomes more help.

Im not going to hold it against him if he doesnt take less money but ideally I think it'd be great to see the elite QBs on any team do this.

He was top 5 in money earned from 2004 and 2009 when he married Giselle. Only after they got married did he start accepting truly below market value deals

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 01:07 PM

:clap:

Exactly !!:thumb:

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 01:09 PM
He was top 5 in money earned from 2004 and 2009 when he married Giselle. Only after they got married did he start accepting truly below market value deals

Stop your nonsense here. There is a reason Brady has won 6 out of 8 SBs. He is COMPETITIVE and will exhaust all options to win. Giselle has nothing to do with his restructuring plain and simple. :shrug:

BossChief
07-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Top five money for a hall of fame super bowl winning quarterback IS TAKING A DISCOUNT.

-King-
07-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Top five money for a hall of fame super bowl winning quarterback IS TAKING A DISCOUNT.

Other than the first year, most years Mahomes will be top 5 based on other players signing contracts and based on how money is spread out. It's not like he's going to be #1 every year. Most years the top 5 was some kind of combination of Favre, Manning, Vick, Palmer and Brady. That makes sense

Abba-Dabba
07-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Stop your nonsense here. There is a reason Brady has won 6 out of 8 SBs. He is COMPETITIVE and will exhaust all options to win. Giselle has nothing to do with his restructuring plain and simple. :shrug:

Stop with the fantasy land bullshit. If you really think Brady giving up a few million a year is even the smallest factor of them winning a few championships you are just dumb. D.U.M.B. Dumb. That goes for anyone thinking that dumb shit.

You're talking about a profession where in most cases you only have one chance for a large pay day. Players have to try to maximize every contract they can get because nobody knows if they will ever see one again.

This rah rah fantasy land doing it for the team is nothing but a bullshit child's fantasy that simply does not have a grasp in reality.

Abba-Dabba
07-04-2019, 01:53 PM
It's not like he either makes 400 million or 8 bucks an hour lol his family will be just fine.

His agent will be sure to squeeze every dollar out of the Chiefs that he can. He would be dumb not to. Imagine trying to sell yourself as an agent to a future draft pick as an agent that has a reputation of not representing the complete financial interests of their client.

jjchieffan
07-04-2019, 02:04 PM
LOL People are really delusional.

Assuming the best as far as you're concerned, what would three or four Super Bowl rings do for him that one or two wouldn't?

And imagine he takes a discount and we don't win any more 'ships. He'd look like a real schlub.

Mahomes wants to be the GOAT. One or 2 rings won't cement that for him. If he doesn't win as many Superbowls as Brady, or even as many as Montana, people will always rank them higher. Taking a contract that helps the team build around them will help accomplish that

RunKC
07-04-2019, 02:19 PM

No. He’s won so many Super Bowl’s bc his coach turns scrubs from other teams into good players on defense. Brady has had a top 10 defense in 14 of his seasons.

Give any great QB a good defense like that every year and they would have as many or more Super Bowl’s than Tom.

PAChiefsGuy
07-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Stop with the fantasy land bullshit. If you really think Brady giving up a few million a year is even the smallest factor of them winning a few championships you are just dumb. D.U.M.B. Dumb. That goes for anyone thinking that dumb shit.

You're talking about a profession where in most cases you only have one chance for a large pay day. Players have to try to maximize every contract they can get because nobody knows if they will ever see one again.

This rah rah fantasy land doing it for the team is nothing but a bullshit child's fantasy that simply does not have a grasp in reality.

Do research. Brady has taken less than he could have made throughout his career.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7/

Just because you only care about money doesnt mean that is the #1 priority for every person in life. Brady wants to win way more than he wants to be the highest paid QB. It's pretty obvious. Hopefully Mahomes is the same way.

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 03:51 PM

Really? It's worked for Brady so far.:shrug: Brady knew early on he had something special in NE with Bellichek and the nucleus of talent around him besides himself. Hopefully Mahomes recognizes this as well just as PA ChiefsGuy said.:thumb:

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 03:56 PM
No. He’s won so many Super Bowl’s bc his coach turns scrubs from other teams into good players on defense. Brady has had a top 10 defense in 14 of his seasons.

Give any great QB a good defense like that every year and they would have as many or more Super Bowl’s than Tom.

You've indirectly contradicted yourself here in making my point in TB winning SB's because of his team first approach in taking less $$.

Like I said, TB gives Bellichek financial room with the cap to bring in the talent when needed. How does BB maintain a top 10 defense in 14 yrs IF TB is stingy with $$ ??

RunKC
07-04-2019, 04:15 PM
You've indirectly contradicted yourself here in making my point in TB winning SB's because of his team first approach in taking less $$.

Like I said, TB gives Bellichek financial room with the cap to bring in the talent when needed. How does BB maintain a top 10 defense in 14 yrs IF TB is stingy with $$ ??

He coaches up any player to play well in his system.

Kyle Van Noy, Rob Ninkovich, Trey Flowers, Lawrence Guy, J.C. Jackson, John Simon. None of those guys were looked at fondly before they wen tor NE.

Do we need to bring up their OL that’s coached by the best OL coach in the league?

They have elite coaching and don’t pay anyone insane money outside of Brady

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 04:40 PM
He coaches up any player to play well in his system.

Kyle Van Noy, Rob Ninkovich, Trey Flowers, Lawrence Guy, J.C. Jackson, John Simon. None of those guys were looked at fondly before they wen tor NE.

Do we need to bring up their OL that’s coached by the best OL coach in the league?

They have elite coaching and don’t pay anyone insane money outside of Brady

Who said anything about elite coaching not being part of the success? Coaching is always a part of it no doubt BUT it helps to have flexibility in the cap when needed.

tredadda
07-04-2019, 05:52 PM

Because he is one of the most brilliant defensive minds of modern times if not the history of football.

PAChiefsGuy
07-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Because he is one of the most brilliant defensive minds of modern times if not the history of football.

Yeah I am sure having Brady sign cap-friendly deals has absolutely nothing to do w it. You still need talent no matter how good of a coach you are.

tredadda
07-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Yeah I am sure having Brady sign cap-friendly deals has absolutely nothing to do w it. You still need talent no matter how good of a coach you are.

Except Belechick gets far more out of lesser talent than most coaches. Who on last year’s defense could be considered truly elite? One player? Brady only did what he did because of the mo eat his wife made whether you want to acknowledge that fact or not.

Abba-Dabba
07-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Do research. Brady has taken less than he could have made throughout his career.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-contract-discounts-patriots-bargain-2018-7/

Just because you only care about money doesnt mean that is the #1 priority for every person in life. Brady wants to win way more than he wants to be the highest paid QB. It's pretty obvious. Hopefully Mahomes is the same way.

A few million saved in the grand scheme of things means nothing to the quality play on the field. You can use the exception as the rule all you want. Brady giving a few million discount is exactly that, and an exception to the rule. Let's not discount all the other factors in his status. The rule is simply this.make as much fucking money as you can before father time catches up or tomfoolery from the organization decides to dump your ass for the younger, cheaper model. But is Brady really giving a discount? His cap hit is over 20 million a year.

Abba-Dabba
07-04-2019, 07:26 PM

He still makes over 20 million in salary per year. Where is this large discount?

jjchieffan
07-04-2019, 07:33 PM
He still makes over 20 million in salary per year. Where is this large discount?

Are you serious?? Do you even pay attention to quarterback salaries?? $20 million us the kind of money that ElFraud pays to shitty quarterbacks like Flacco and Keesum. There are 17 quarterbacks that made more than Brady last year, with top deal being $35 million to Wilson. If you think that Brady couldn't have asked for and gotten $35 million your crazy. $20 million for the GOAT is a HUGE discount. And $15 million is a lot of extra money to build a better team with.

mr. tegu
07-04-2019, 09:44 PM
I’m just surprised at how many people actually believe Brady is actually taking a discount.

mr. tegu
07-04-2019, 09:56 PM
As for Mahomes, I doubt he sits around saying he needs as many good players as possible to win and that $10 million extra for the team each year will make the difference. He probably likes having good players recognizes their importance but like most top performers he probably believes he can overcome anything with his skills and he makes the difference more than some extra salary space.

But really none of that matters because it’s silly to minimize a difference of $100-200 million dollars. Who knows what he might want to do with that extra money. Maybe he will want to cement his legacy off the field through charity, medical research, or something else. Maybe he wants to buy an island and build a hotel. Maybe he wants to open a zoo and breed panda bears. Or maybe he just wants to provide generational wealth. Or all of the above. Either way he will earn the right to make those decisions and he shouldn’t give up any income from playing or even feel the slightest obligation to do so.

Chiefshrink
07-04-2019, 10:04 PM
I’m just surprised at how many people actually believe Brady is actually taking a discount.

I get your point because you know he will be compensated on the backside somehow after he retires.:hmmm:

RunKC
07-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Are you serious?? Do you even pay attention to quarterback salaries?? $20 million us the kind of money that ElFraud pays to shitty quarterbacks like Flacco and Keesum. There are 17 quarterbacks that made more than Brady last year, with top deal being $35 million to Wilson. If you think that Brady couldn't have asked for and gotten $35 million your crazy. $20 million for the GOAT is a HUGE discount. And $15 million is a lot of extra money to build a better team with.

He was the 11th highest paid QB last year and they won the Super Bowl. The difference between him and the 2nd highest paid QB was only $4.5 million.

Tom also has the 4th highest cap hit of any QB this season.

Abba-Dabba
07-04-2019, 10:20 PM

Are you serious? Acting like he is taking a discount while accounting for almost 10% of his team's total cap. 1 fucking guy out of 53, 10%. Quite the discount from your saintly Tom "take one for the team" Brady. What's the matter with Brady using your logic? 10m/yr not good enough?

DRU
07-04-2019, 10:24 PM

$200m sitting in a Wealthfront cash account would earn $5m/year.

That's at a 2.5% rate, but of course you can't even keep that much cash in a single account anyway. It would be invested and would generate a lot more than $5m/year in cash flow.

Done properly it could be tax free cash flow.

I wouldn't call that doing nothing. That money would be working hard for him.

PAChiefsGuy
07-04-2019, 11:09 PM

There's nothing to believe or not believe it is a fact. He has never been the highest paid player in the NFL yet he is unquestionably the GOAT playing the most important position in football. If that is not taking a discount, then I don't know what is.

In 2016, Brock Osweiller earned more than Brady. Think about that for a second next time you make such a stupid post.

Again, I am not going to hold it against Mahomes if he wants to make as much money as possible. It is what it is. Brady is ultra-competitive and not everyone is like that. But if Mahomes truly wants to win as many SBs as he can he's not going to demand to a ridiculous contract that will pay him a bunch of money he will never spend in his lifetime. Taking less money will allow the Chiefs to use that extra money elsewhere to get him more help. That's a good thing, not bad.

mr. tegu
07-05-2019, 07:47 AM
There's nothing to believe or not believe it is a fact. He has never been the highest paid player in the NFL yet he is unquestionably the GOAT playing the most important position in football. If that is not taking a discount, then I don't know what is.

In 2016, Brock Osweiller earned more than Brady. Think about that for a second next time you make such a stupid post.

Again, I am not going to hold it against Mahomes if he wants to make as much money as possible. It is what it is. Brady is ultra-competitive and not everyone is like that. But if Mahomes truly wants to win as many SBs as he can he's not going to demand to a ridiculous contract that will pay him a bunch of money he will never spend in his lifetime. Taking less money will allow the Chiefs to use that extra money elsewhere to get him more help. That's a good thing, not bad.

You completely missed my point.

I get your point because you know he will be compensated on the backside somehow after he retires.:hmmm:

Yep. Or something off the record could easily be going on now.

jjchieffan
07-05-2019, 09:11 AM
Are you serious? Acting like he is taking a discount while accounting for almost 10% of his team's total cap. 1 ****ing guy out of 53, 10%. Quite the discount from your saintly Tom "take one for the team" Brady. What's the matter with Brady using your logic? 10m/yr not good enough?
He could get the most money of any quarterback in the league. There's no disputing that. Russell Wilson is getting $35 million per year. Brady is getting $20 million per year. In what logic is taking $20 million per year when he could get $35 million per year not taking a discount? An extra $15 million per her in cap space is a huge help to the team. I don't understand the logic of your argument here

tredadda
07-05-2019, 09:14 AM
He could get the most money of any quarterback in the league. There's no disputing that. Russell Wilson is getting $35 million per year. Brady is getting $20 million per year. In what logic is taking $20 million per year when he could get $35 million per year not taking a discount? An extra $15 million per her in cap space is a huge help to the team. I don't understand the logic of your argument here

I think you keep missing how his wife’s net worth which far exceeds his could play a factor in why he takes less than he is worth.

jjchieffan
07-05-2019, 09:21 AM
I think you keep missing how his wife’s net worth which far exceeds his could play a factor in why he takes less than he is worth.

That is an assumption. Maybe it's a correct assumption. It's certainly plausible. But does anyone really know that he would do things any differently if he was married to her? I mean, if you want to use that logic, couldn't you also say that Mahomes will take a discount because he was already rich?

ChiliConCarnage
07-05-2019, 09:30 AM
He's one hit away from a wheelchair. If he's smart he milks it for all he can.

I agree. You gotta take as much as you can get in this first big contract. You never know. Later on in your career with a huge stack already in the bank is when you could possibly consider taking less.

tredadda
07-05-2019, 10:07 AM
That is an assumption. Maybe it's a correct assumption. It's certainly plausible. But does anyone really know that he would do things any differently if he was married to her? I mean, if you want to use that logic, couldn't you also say that Mahomes will take a discount because he was already rich?

He could, but he shouldn’t. While his family is well off I doubt that he lives off his family’s money. Plus they don’t have Gisele money. Also Tom might have taken a discount without his wife’s money, we will never know. What we do know is that she is loaded and he has taken discounts. The correlation between her net worth and what he commands is strong.

PAChiefsGuy
07-05-2019, 10:28 AM
He could, but he shouldn’t. While his family is well off I doubt that he lives off his family’s money. Plus they don’t have Gisele money. Also Tom might have taken a discount without his wife’s money, we will never know. What we do know is that she is loaded and he has taken discounts. The correlation between her net worth and what he commands is strong.

Brady started dating Giselle in 2006. Before that he signed a contract extension in 2005 that was well below the market value for a three-time SB champion.

Tom Brady's 2005 contract: $60 mil, 6 years, $26 mil guaranteed - approximately $10 mil per year. A number that - ironically - was about the same as Eli Manning's rookie contract from 2004. In other words, a 3 time Super Bowl winner (3 times in FOUR years) - gets the same amount as the guy who had never played an NFL game!

http://www.selectsmart.com/DISCUSS/read.php?39,953867

So whole Tom Brady takes less because of Giselle is way overblown because if that was the case he would have been demanding huge contracts before he started dating her.

I am not saying Mahomes should take a huge discount but a couple million less a year is not going to drastically change his life but it could help the Chiefs out a lot when it comes to the cap.

MahiMike
07-05-2019, 10:28 AM
The Brady way only exists because he has a wife that makes more money than him.

Wrong. Mahomes has the chance to make as much as Tom on endorsements. He can be in more commercials than Manning and make twice what his contract gives him. This is a new day of earning.

CapsLockKey
07-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Brady started dating Giselle in 2006. Before that he signed a contract extension in 2005 that was well below the market value for a three-time SB champion.

Tom Brady's 2005 contract: $60 mil, 6 years, $26 mil guaranteed - approximately $10 mil per year. A number that - ironically - was about the same as Eli Manning's rookie contract from 2004. In other words, a 3 time Super Bowl winner (3 times in FOUR years) - gets the same amount as the guy who had never played an NFL game!

http://www.selectsmart.com/DISCUSS/read.php?39,953867

So whole Tom Brady takes less because of Giselle is way overblown because if that was the case he would have been demanding huge contracts before he started dating her.

I am not saying Mahomes should take a huge discount but a couple million less a year is not going to drastically change his life but it could help the Chiefs out a lot when it comes to the cap.In 2005, Brady wasn't considered the GOAT either. There were better statistical QBs than him back them. It wasn't until they got Moss before Brady really started dominating. The Patriots relied on defense up to that point. He didn't make his first all pro until 2007.

Mahomes got an MVP in his second year. Apples and oranges.

ChiliConCarnage
07-05-2019, 11:30 AM

The contracts an extension of a deal that he still had 2 years under getting paid peanuts. You're going to get less for signing early like that off a cheap contract.

In 2004, Brady had basically what tied for his best season at 3700 yards 28 TDs and 14 interceptions. Peyton Manning threw for 4700, 49 TD, 10 int. It wasn't until 2007 that Brady really broke out in terms of throwing the ball all over the place and also tossing less picks. 30 and up Brady has been almost a different QB than 20's Brady.

edit: caplock beat me to it, got distracted by work

PAChiefsGuy
07-05-2019, 11:39 AM
The contracts an extension of a deal that he still had 2 years under getting paid peanuts. You're going to get less for signing early like that off a cheap contract.

In 2004, Brady had basically what tied for his best season at 3700 yards 28 TDs and 14 interceptions. Peyton Manning threw for 4700, 49 TD, 10 int. It wasn't until 2007 that Brady really broke out in terms of throwing the ball all over the place and also tossing less picks. 30 and up Brady has been almost a different QB than 20's Brady.

edit: caplock beat me to it, got distracted by work

That is such bs.. Tell me who was Brady throwing to those years he didnt put up big numbers and who was Peyton throwing to?

Typical ff nerds looking at stats. Brady has never been about stats he has always been about winning. You cant judge Brady just on stats. He makes plays when he needs to unlike the choke artist Peyton

Shoes
07-05-2019, 01:07 PM
This entire thread is stupid because Mahomes can have both- legacy and contract. Make no mistake Mahomes will be the highest paid player in NFL history when he re-ups his contract. It is up to the GM and front office to ensure that they surround Mahomes with enough talent to compete year in and year out.

People want to use Brady as a comparable but he is the exception- there hasn't been a better QB/coach combo to ever grace the NFL. I don't think you try and recreate that because it is so incredibly rare.

CasselGotPeedOn
07-05-2019, 01:15 PM
The guy who thinks the world is 600 years old, the quack psychiatrist, and an Alex Smith knob slobber all want Mahomes to take less money than he's worth. That tells you all you need to know.

PAChiefsGuy
07-05-2019, 02:41 PM
The guy who thinks the world is 600 years old, the quack psychiatrist, and an Alex Smith knob slobber all want Mahomes to take less money than he's worth. That tells you all you need to know.

I think every Chiefs fan wants that. You dont want Mahomes to sign a team friendly contract so the Chiefs can put more talent around him so he can win more SBs?

I said I wouldnt hold it against him if he doesnt but it sure as hell would be what is best for Mahomes if he wants to win as many SBs as possible. Probably more than half the money he gets in his next contract he won't even spend in his lifetime anyway.

jjchieffan
07-05-2019, 02:52 PM

This coming from a guy who couldn't come up with a better username that CasselGotPeedOn and can't tell the difference between 600 and 6000. Yeah. You're the picture of pure genius on the board. ROFL

CasselGotPeedOn
07-05-2019, 04:04 PM
This coming from a guy who couldn't come up with a better username that CasselGotPeedOn and can't tell the difference between 600 and 6000. Yeah. You're the picture of pure genius on the board. ROFL

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/27/7b/d8277b0dd14629fbcff3145d2bb51f5f.jpg

Chiefshrink
07-05-2019, 06:57 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/27/7b/d8277b0dd14629fbcff3145d2bb51f5f.jpg

I do believe God is describing to Job in His Word here an Argentinosaurus.:shrug:

Job 40:15-24

15 “Take a look at Behemoth,[a]
which I made, just as I made you.
It eats grass like an ox.
16 See its powerful loins
and the muscles of its belly.
17 Its tail is as strong as a cedar.
The sinews of its thighs are knit tightly together.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze.
Its limbs are bars of iron.
19 It is a prime example of God’s handiwork,
and only its Creator can threaten it.
20 The mountains offer it their best food,
where all the wild animals play.
21 It lies under the lotus plants,[b]
hidden by the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotus plants give it shade
among the willows beside the stream.
23 It is not disturbed by the raging river,
not concerned when the swelling Jordan rushes around it.
24 No one can catch it off guard
or put a ring in its nose and lead it away.