PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports An idea to make the Olympics, World Cup, etc., more interesting.

Rain Man
07-07-2019, 03:21 PM
I'm seeing the congratulatory news items about the Women's World Cup, and how our talent pool of 329 million beat a country with a talent pool of 17 million for the championship.

Um...yay?

I have the same ambivalence about the Olympics. Yeah, we win a lot of medals, but it's because we're 10 times bigger than most other countries (even setting aside dollars for training and stuff). The only question in most years is whether we'll win the most medals against countries like China and Russia that also have enormous talent pools. I find myself often rooting for the Danish guy or the Thai woman or whoever is vainly trying to get onto the medal stand. I'm a Team USA guy in the end, of course, but to some extent it feels like we're rooting for Alabama against Alcorn State, and there's less satisfaction in winning.

In individual sports the nation doesn't matter so much, but in team sports it's an enormous advantage to be representing a larger country. Statistically, the tenth-best player on the USA basketball team would be the best player on 75 percent of national teams.

To make things more fair, I propose that team sports be assigned based on population. If a country has less than (for example) 50 million people, they get a national team. But if they're 50 to 100 million people, they get two teams for which players are assigned randomly. The USA with more than 300 million people, would have 7 teams competing in international events. Maybe you could give them regional names to spur fans, like USA West and USA Mountain and stuff.

Doing this would certainly give the larger nations more chances to win, but that's not inherently unfair. The big issue is that the rosters of each team would be more on par with those of smaller countries because the talent would be more spread out. This would make the games more interesting and add drama. As Americans, we would still have a lot of national pride watching our various teams, and we would have more "Olympians" or whatever since there are more roster spots.

Of course, you'd need other countries to do the same thing. There'd be a lot of incentive to cheat, so you'd have to have some sort of public lottery where everyone's players get assigned to teams randomly.

Thoughts? Would this make it more exciting to watch international team competitions?

jallmon
07-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the update, I didn't know the USA women had won.

Coochie liquor
07-07-2019, 05:02 PM
I’d be open for women’s topless soccer. And lingerie football league to be part of the olympics.

displacedinMN
07-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Olympics should be in the same place all the time.

Soccer should have all players with their arms tied to their sides (or strong velcro)
They cant use them anyway-

Sorce
07-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Don't like the size of your country? Conquer some shit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TinyEvel
07-08-2019, 08:49 AM
I think then you would have the US team on all three spots on the podium. Because USA! USA! USA!

I support it.

Mecca
07-08-2019, 09:04 AM
I’d be open for women’s topless soccer. And lingerie football league to be part of the olympics.

Most women that play soccer are going to have boobs smaller than yours.

New World Order
07-08-2019, 09:13 AM
What about no steroid testimg

stumppy
07-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Topless, all athletes have to go topless while competing. That would make them more interesting.

loochy
07-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Most women that play soccer are going to have boobs smaller than yours.

Yeah. Alex Morgan, despite being the overall hottest player, still rocks the noboob.

RollChiefsRoll
07-08-2019, 09:38 AM
Yeah. Alex Morgan, despite being the overall hottest player, still rocks the noboob.

I kinda think Christen Press > Alex Morgan

Rain Man
07-08-2019, 09:41 AM
I think then you would have the US team on all three spots on the podium. Because USA! USA! USA!

I support it.

All the more exciting. I could really get behind this. And we could give them cool names like USA Team Apollo and USA Team Grotto and USA Team Steampunk and stuff.

loochy
07-08-2019, 09:45 AM
All the more exciting. I could really get behind this. And we could give them cool names like USA Team Apollo and USA Team Grotto and USA Team Steampunk and stuff.

But then the false nationalistic bandwagon jumping wouldn't be as prominent. Who would all of the fair weather fans flock to?

patteeu
07-08-2019, 09:46 AM
I voted no. I like dominating small countries that have a huge inherent disadvantage. It really irks me when one of those upstarts pulls out a victory.

loochy
07-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I voted no. I like dominating small countries that have a huge inherent disadvantage. It really irks me when one of those upstarts pulls out a victory.

It's like "Know your place, bitch. Now sit down."

Rain Man
07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
But then the false nationalistic bandwagon jumping wouldn't be as prominent. Who would all of the fair weather fans flock to?

That's the beauty of this system. You could have one of the teams be "USA Team True Patriots" and they would draw that market in their red, white, and blue uniforms. You could then target market another team as "USA Team Statue of Liberty" and give them uniforms that match the flag colors of people who came in through Ellis Island or something.

Rain Man
07-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Don't like the size of your country? Conquer some shit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Topless, all athletes have to go topless while competing. That would make them more interesting.

I recognize the validity of all of these points. But maybe if our team broke up into smaller teams, it would make us even more dominating because it would wake up the national will that we had when we beat the British and expanded westward, and it would also give more buxom women chances to play on the teams since there are more roster spots.

Beef Supreme
07-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Instead of testing for drugs and disqualifying, I propose The all-drug Olympics.

"Cocaine got out to a fast start in the medal race but is fading fast."

"Marijuana in last place for overall medals, but a shoe-in for gold in the Frisbee Ultimate and Hackey-Sack battles."

njchiefs
07-08-2019, 07:09 PM
I think it’s unfair that Norway with only 5 million people should have to compete in the same team alpine events as India with about one hundred trillion people. I think that team India should be required to dilute their ski talent by dividing their team into 100 sub teams so that Norway could get a shot at a team medal.

Lzen
07-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Can someone explain to me how the USA women's team is so good yet the men's team is not?

RollChiefsRoll
07-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Can someone explain to me how the USA women's team is so good yet the men's team is not?

Other countries care about and devote resources to men's soccer in a way that they don't for their women's teams.

allen_kcCard
07-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Other countries care about and devote resources to men's soccer in a way that they don't for their women's teams.

Also, what women's sports in the US are competing heavily for the talent pool? If all the best athletes from the MLB, NFL, and NBA were soccer-first their entire lives, our mens team would look a lot different. Not taking anything away from our mens team, they are great players, but I would guess the top elite athletes from those other sports, with a lifetime of soccer training, would replace 90% of our men's national team. That is how it is in most other countries.

loochy
07-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Also, what women's sports in the US are competing heavily for the talent pool? If all the best athletes from the MLB, NFL, and NBA were soccer-first their entire lives, our mens team would look a lot different. Not taking anything away from our mens team, they are great players, but I would guess the top elite athletes from those other sports, with a lifetime of soccer training, would replace 90% of our men's national team. That is how it is in most other countries.

Our problem in mens' soccer isn't athleticism.

allen_kcCard
07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Our problem in mens' soccer isn't athleticism.

Um....sure....because the top 1% athletic freaks from our primary sports, if they would have grown up with a soccer ball being their main choice, would not have any sort of impact on our men's national team.

Whatever....

But I'll leave this here for now, wasn't the point of the thread.