PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Remaining Free agents on the market

O.city
07-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Saw some writeup on twitter that the Chiefs should be interested in Michael Crabtree (yuck) but it got me to thinking we could get a little football discussion here to break up the Tyreek wars.

What current free agents still on the market would you like to see the Chiefs bring onboard?

Or would you just wait for camp cuts? Or maybe trade for a guy?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In recent years, smart teams have swung key trades in July and August to put the final touches on their rosters. I looked at some players around the league who might be available at the right price. <a href="https://t.co/lEgfZJVWfZ">https://t.co/lEgfZJVWfZ</a></p>&mdash; Robert Mays (@robertmays) <a href="https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/1149349125445603328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Write up of guys that might be available.

ClevelandBronco
07-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Y'all are going to need a receiver.

Just saying.

Chief Northman
07-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Allen Bailey

OKchiefs
07-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Any cornerbacks?

O.city
07-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Morris Claiborne is interesting.

He's not great, but he'd be a solid addition IMO.

Rain Man
07-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Allen Bailey

This is a mystery to me. I recognize that he's 30, but good defensive lineman who can generate a pass rush have value and no one's shown any interest that I can tell. Is he just wanting too much money or something? I'd be delighted if he came back.

(I admit too that I'm shallowly swayed by the fact that he looks like a cartoon hulk.)

DJ's left nut
07-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Tre Boston is still unsigned.

Was it Crow who wanted to give that guy something nutty like 4/$32 million?

Ain't shit for CBs out there unless Spags thinks Claiborne (stiff as fuck, IMO) can thrive in the cover 3 system. Maybe a flyer on Te'o at ILB, a rotational DE gamble on Jordan.

Probably a whole lot of chaff and nothing else.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2019, 09:19 AM
This is a mystery to me. I recognize that he's 30, but good defensive lineman who can generate a pass rush have value and no one's shown any interest that I can tell. Is he just wanting too much money or something? I'd be delighted if he came back.

(I admit too that I'm shallowly swayed by the fact that he looks like a cartoon hulk.)

I'm with you here, I always liked Bailey. I thought he was pretty solid. I guess teams take in to account that we aren't resigning a guy from a last place defense so that sets his bar really low.

O.city
07-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Tre Boston is still unsigned.

Was it Crow who wanted to give that guy something nutty like 4/$32 million?

Ain't shit for CBs out there unless Spags thinks Claiborne (stiff as ****, IMO) can thrive in the cover 3 system. Maybe a flyer on Te'o at ILB, a rotational DE gamble on Jordan.

Probably a whole lot of chaff and nothing else.

I'd probably roll with what we've got at CB unless they wanna make a swing.

I think the Fields dude that was an UDFA could surprise and I think Fuller will bounce back nicely.

RealSNR
07-11-2019, 09:21 AM

Just saying.

You need a receiver as well.

And a QB.

And just about everything else, including an owner.

Rain Man
07-11-2019, 09:22 AM
I'm with you here, I always liked Bailey. I thought he was pretty solid. I guess teams take in to account that we aren't resigning a guy from a last place defense so that sets his bar really low.

That's a good point. I wonder if Allen is spending his free time tp'ing Bob Sutton's house.

O.city
07-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Looking around at contracts and moves made this offseason, it's really amazing how good of a GM Howie Roseman is.

Dude is just a stealth bomber.

DJ's left nut
07-11-2019, 09:26 AM
I'd probably roll with what we've got at CB unless they wanna make a swing.

I think the Fields dude that was an UDFA could surprise and I think Fuller will bounce back nicely.

Yeah, CB doesn't worry me that much. I'd like one more versatile veteran safety (I'd actually like Boston at/near the 'veteran flyer' price point) and help at LB if in any way feasible.

King_Chief_Fan
07-11-2019, 09:27 AM

Just saying.

It appears that Broncos will need much more.
Good luck with Flappo and Lock....Elway misses again...just sayin

staylor26
07-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Just saying.

Nah, he and we good.

TRR
07-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Morris Claiborne is interesting.

He's not great, but he'd be a solid addition IMO.

On board with this move. He’s still got a few solid seasons in him and all we are looking for is a gap fill in case of injury. We have pretty good luck with injuries last year to the CB group. Would like a little more insurance and vet presence than Reaser or Smith behind the top three guys.

DJ's left nut
07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
On board with this move. He’s still got a few solid seasons in him and all we are looking for is a gap fill in case of injury. We have pretty good luck with injuries last year to the CB group. Would like a little more insurance and vet presence than Reaser or Smith behind the top three guys.

Fields will be able to play meaningful snaps by mid-season, IMO.

He's very polished and has plus coverage skills. Not an every down possibility yet, IMO - needs to learn more advanced techniques to overcome some size limitations first. But if he's needed in a slot role, he can fill it admirably in relatively short order.

RunKC
07-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Fields will be able to play meaningful snaps by mid-season, IMO.

He's very polished and has plus coverage skills. Not an every down possibility yet, IMO - needs to learn more advanced techniques to overcome some size limitations first. But if he's needed in a slot role, he can fill it admirably in relatively short order.

I keep looking at guys like Fields and thinking they will be redshirted. Then I remember we have Spags and that guy loves mixing in everyone.

O.city
07-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Yeah, CB doesn't worry me that much. I'd like one more versatile veteran safety (I'd actually like Boston at/near the 'veteran flyer' price point) and help at LB if in any way feasible.

I’m the opposite

I think we’re set at safety

I’d like another cb but I doubt we can get one of the ones I’d want so I’ll deal with it

O.city
07-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Problem is it’s just gonna be a numbers game back there

I dunno if fields makes it

DJ's left nut
07-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Problem is it’s just gonna be a numbers game back there

I dunno if fields makes it

I think they cut Smith, honestly.

If they have Hill, they just don't need him. Hardman can take on Smith's return role and Smith showed very little ability to play CB credibly.

I agree with you that there's gonna be a numbers crunch there but when all is said and done, I think Fields wins that competition. The only way Smith makes the team is if the front office is extremely confident that they can sneak Fields onto the PS.

If he shows enough in camp to beat out Smith as I think he will, then they won't be able to confidently make that bet. So suddenly the attempted roster maneuvering to hide a prospect just won't work.

You coooould see someone 'pull a hammy' and get IR'd though. We've seen a willingness from this squad to use the IR to redshirt a guy in the past. Wouldn't be surprised to see it again.

O.city
07-11-2019, 10:47 AM
I think they cut Smith, honestly.

If they have Hill, they just don't need him. Hardman can take on Smith's return role and Smith showed very little ability to play CB credibly.

I agree with you that there's gonna be a numbers crunch there but when all is said and done, I think Fields wins that competition. The only way Smith makes the team is if the front office is extremely confident that they can sneak Fields onto the PS.

If he shows enough in camp to beat out Smith as I think he will, then they won't be able to confidently make that bet. So suddenly the attempted roster maneuvering to hide a prospect just won't work.

You coooould see someone 'pull a hammy' and get IR'd though. We've seen a willingness from this squad to use the IR to redshirt a guy in the past. Wouldn't be surprised to see it again.

I kinda had a soft spot for Smith being as he came from a program i'm fairly familiar with that's close to home, so i'm hopeful he can develop a bit into a nice corner. He's a small school guy who's super talented so hopefully it just took a year.

I'd rather keep them both but you just can't keep everyone. I haven't looked that closely at the corner depth chart but i'd imagine Fuller, Breeland, Ward are locked in. Other than that who you got as a lock? I figure they'll keep, what, 6?

O.city
07-11-2019, 10:48 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In recent years, smart teams have swung key trades in July and August to put the final touches on their rosters. I looked at some players around the league who might be available at the right price. <a href="https://t.co/lEgfZJVWfZ">https://t.co/lEgfZJVWfZ</a></p>&mdash; Robert Mays (@robertmays) <a href="https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/1149349125445603328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's a nice read of guys that might be available.

I'm just not a Trae Waynes fan.

OKchiefs
07-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Here's a nice read of guys that might be available.

I'm just not a Trae Waynes fan.

Kansas City hasn’t done nearly enough to revamp its secondary this offseason, even after signing Tyrann Mathieu and Bashaud Breeland in free agency. The Chiefs currently have more than $25 million in cap space and would easily be able to fit Waynes’s expensive deal on their books. This is the type of move a team going all in with an MVP quarterback making $4.5 million on a rookie deal should make.

He's not wrong...

BossChief
07-11-2019, 11:10 AM
A name that's never mentioned but one that fits Veachs pattern of guys he’s brought in is Mackenzie Alexander from Minnesota.

Lots of us wanted to draft him and he has played extremely well in limited time for them.

He was the #17 overall corner for PFF and had very high coverage grades. He can play slot or outside and is well rounded.

I’d definetely flip them a pick for him or maybe even Hilton Hill.

loochy
07-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Just saying.

Why? Are you that sure that Watkins will get hurt again? Or do you think Hardman will suck?

O.city
07-11-2019, 11:16 AM
I think if I were to trade for a corner, my first option would probably be Rhodes of the guys that I think are available that is.

Of course I'd love Ramsey, but I don't wanna deal with all that shit so he's probably out. Byron Jones is an all pro but will need paid a lot.

If they'd take a 2 for him, i'd do that.

O.city
07-11-2019, 11:17 AM
A name that's never mentioned but one that fits Veachs pattern of guys he’s brought in is Mackenzie Alexander from Minnesota.

Lots of us wanted to draft him and he has played extremely well in limited time for them.

He was the #17 overall corner for PFF and had very high coverage grades. He can play slot or outside and is well rounded.

I’d definetely flip them a pick for him or maybe even Hilton Hill.

I doubt they'd trade the young cheap good players at Cb though. Probably Rhodes would be the best option out of there.

OKchiefs
07-11-2019, 11:47 AM
I think our best hope is for some vets to be cut after training camp.

DJ's left nut
07-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Kansas City hasn’t done nearly enough to revamp its secondary this offseason, even after signing Tyrann Mathieu and Bashaud Breeland in free agency. The Chiefs currently have more than $25 million in cap space and would easily be able to fit Waynes’s expensive deal on their books. This is the type of move a team going all in with an MVP quarterback making $4.5 million on a rookie deal should make.

He's not wrong...

Yes he is.

Taking care of your own with that $25 million is a move a team with an MVP Quarterback should make.

Even if the deal doesn't get done now, that's a LOT of rollover that can be used on Jones and Hill.

It doesn't make sense to burn that on an average CB with limited ceiling. Spend like you're rich and you won't stay that way for long. You don't change your outlook on intelligent use of the cap just because you have more of it to use.

Because someday you won't and you won't be able to figure out why.

staylor26
07-11-2019, 01:20 PM

He's not wrong...

I’m pretty sure 90% of your Chiefs related posts this offseason have been bitching about corner.

SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. ALREADY.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Anyone new we bring in means one less roster spot. That’s fine, unless the team really likes some of its young players. Sometimes no move is the right move.

RealSNR
07-11-2019, 02:21 PM
I’m pretty sure 90% of your Chiefs related posts this offseason have been bitching about corner.

SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP. ALREADY.

OKChiefs and people like him are going to be insufferable this preseason. As if they're the only ones who knew the CB depth on the Chiefs had a ton of question marks on it, and we all told them we had the best CBs in the NFL.

Everybody knows the CBs still need work, and everybody knows they could be a weak spot of our defense this year especially if we suffer an injury to either Fuller or Breeland.

It's just most of us have the common sense to know that Veach is aggressive but not desperate, and while it's important to try to win while Pat is still on the rookie contract, it's even more important to not blow it all on a single Super Bowl run only to suffer through multi-year stretches similar to what Aaron Rodgers has had in Green Bay.

We've got a franchise QB. He's going to be here awhile. Let's make it so we're within striking distance of a championship EVERY year instead of just once in awhile.

DJ's left nut
07-11-2019, 02:40 PM
It's just most of us have the common sense to know that Veach is aggressive but not desperate, and while it's important to try to win while Pat is still on the rookie contract, it's even more important to not blow it all on a single Super Bowl run only to suffer through multi-year stretches similar to what Aaron Rodgers has had in Green Bay.

We've got a franchise QB. He's going to be here awhile. Let's make it so we're within striking distance of a championship EVERY year instead of just once in awhile.

Repost.

poolboy
07-11-2019, 02:45 PM

Just saying.

check our roster again

RustShack
07-11-2019, 04:05 PM
I like Fuller, Breeland, and Ward. Sure you can do better, but you can do a lot worse. It’s a hell of a big upgrade from this time last year.

Bob Dole
07-11-2019, 06:08 PM

He's not wrong...

Because our secondary lined up offsides.

BossChief
07-11-2019, 06:43 PM
I doubt they'd trade the young cheap good players at Cb though. Probably Rhodes would be the best option out of there.

He’s going into last year of rookie deal.

BWillie
07-11-2019, 06:51 PM
We need corners...any corners...

New World Order
07-11-2019, 06:56 PM
I like Fuller, Breeland, and Ward. Sure you can do better, but you can do a lot worse. It’s a hell of a big upgrade from this time last year.

As long as our corners don't go all Amerson on us the defense should be pretty solid.