PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This is why Damien Williams is our starting RB

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 10:58 AM
We only got a small sample size last year of what this guy can do. Remember Jamaal Charles, we didn't know what we really had until he got the opportunity to carry the ball. Damien is going to be a top 5 back in 2019. Mark my words.

There is a play (not on this video) against the Chargers where he took a handoff and took it between I believe the LT and LG for 10 yards so fast I actually thought it was Hill taking the handoff. He put his pads down and nailed Derwin James. James took him down but Damien won the battle. So impressive! I wish clay could find that and Gif it up.

Just watch the way this guy runs. His quickness, his power, his vision, his hands, his pad level at the point of attack. He's a complete back.

Chiefs Kingdom is blessed !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6LPf62BQPzI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefshrink
07-20-2019, 11:01 AM
I've been pounding this drum since Hunt was released. The running game has not missed a beat IMHO.;)

In58men
07-20-2019, 11:09 AM
I've been pounding this drum since Hunt was released. The running game has not missed a beat IMHO.;)

Don’t sleep on Darwin Thompson and Carlos Hyde.

Hyde absolutely loves our offensive system. From what I’ve heard he’s never been this excited with any other team.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 11:10 AM
I posted in another thread that I thought he was going to have a huge year. Our running game will be able to pound the ball if defenses are going to play a safety deep all the time so Reek won't burn them. Hopefully, the O line will be a lot better than last year and smash some good running holes for him. Should be some open ground to that second level since teams have to respect our passing game.

Kiimo
07-20-2019, 11:16 AM
I personally am down on him but only in fantasy because I think Darwin and Hyde are going to contribute a lot and the incredible wide receiver group are going to need to eat.

But yeah. This offense regressing is so unbelievably hilarious.

Watch Mahomes throw 5 tds against Jacksonville week 1 and then search "Mahomes" "regress" "wrong" in twitter that day.

It will be delicious to drink it in.

BWillie
07-20-2019, 11:19 AM
I'm not as high on him as others. But luckily for us we have the best offensive coach in the league so almost any running back will do. He can make them work. In his entire time at Miami he couldn't muster 4.0 yards per carry. in a four year sample size. That is FRIGHTENING. Let's be honest, it's easy to run in this offense. Defenses prepare to stop Mahomes. Running lanes are open.

We should almost NEVER run the ball. Period. I'm talking 90% of the time pass the ball. There is a great Athletic article about this. Even when they KNOW you are passing, it's STILL way way more effective than running the ball. STOP running the ball unless it's 4th and inches, or the defense is just giving you an easy 10 yard gain.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 11:30 AM
I found the play that really impressed me so much.

Skip to 32:20

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c9ORLLya5bQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie
07-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Last year the WORST team in the NFL had a 3.8 yards per carry average.

Prior to coming to the Chiefs last year, he had a 3.5 yard per carry average. In four years. Let that sink in a moment.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Hyde absolutely loves our offensive system. From what I’ve heard he’s never been this excited with any other team.

Hyde should be excited. He's going to make bunches of money sitting on the bench.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Last year the WORST team in the NFL had a 3.8 yards per carry average.

Prior to coming to the Chiefs last year, he had a 3.5 yard per carry average. In four years. Let that sink in a moment.

Dude, his avg last year was 5.1 and receiving 7.0 Jamaal charles avg 4.3 for the Broncos. Let that sink in for a minute.

Mosbonian
07-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Funny thing is that all the Jags fans are laughing at us for picking up Carlos Hyde....would be funny if he ripped off a 200 yard day against them

BWillie
07-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Dude, his avg last year was 5.1 and receiving 7.0 Let that sink in for a minute.

In an ANDY REID offense. Virtually all running backs succeed at YPC in an Andy Reid offense. Especially when you run in an offense who had the best QB of all time performance as year. Williams is as overrated as they come with this board. He's good enough, I guess. But I sure hope our 6th rounder ends up getting alot of time so we can see if he's better.

Andy Reid has made so many running backs look better than they are. Look at Brian Westbrook.

But really, running back doesn't matter much in an Andy Reid offense. So that is cool. We should throw everytime. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 11:43 AM
I'm not as high on him as others. But luckily for us we have the best offensive coach in the league so almost any running back will do. He can make them work. In his entire time at Miami he couldn't muster 4.0 yards per carry. in a four year sample size. That is FRIGHTENING. Let's be honest, it's easy to run in this offense. Defenses prepare to stop Mahomes. Running lanes are open.

We should almost NEVER run the ball. Period. I'm talking 90% of the time pass the ball. There is a great Athletic article about this. Even when they KNOW you are passing, it's STILL way way more effective than running the ball. STOP running the ball unless it's 4th and inches, or the defense is just giving you an easy 10 yard gain.

Wiliams is actually at 4.0 YPC in his career and ran at 5.1 YPC last year for us. 8.3 career Receiving- so not so Frightening.

So if running lanes are open- why would you not pound the ball and control the clock? :hmmm:

People were not impressed with Priest Holmes before he came here either. Williams is going to be a big weapon for us.

BWillie
07-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Wiliams is actually at 4.0 YPC in his career and ran at 5.1 YPC last year for us. 8.3 career Receiving- so not so Frightening.

So if running lanes are open- why would you not pound the ball and control the clock? :hmmm:

People were not impressed with Priest Holmes before he came here either. Williams is going to be a big weapon for us.

Well yeah, he has a 4.0 ypc NOW because he got the benefit of playing in a Patrick Mahomes + Tyreek Hill + Travis Kelce + Andy Reid offense. Any Top 60 running back in the league would have success in such an offense.

To your second point, you don't want to control the clock if you are a superior team. If you are a better team, you want as many possessions as possible. That would be a valid argument if you weren't better than the other team. That is why you see especially in college basketball and college football the inferior team slow the game down all the time. For some reason it works for Virginia (basketball) but that is one of the only anomalies. Slowing the game down and giving PATRICK MAHOMES & FUTURE HOF ANDY REID LESS possessions instead of more allows more luck into the game.

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 11:47 AM
His running style reminds me of Marcus Allen - so smooth.

Hoover
07-20-2019, 11:55 AM
When we signed the dude I thought he was a hidden gem. He's the perfect back in this offense and he's not going to break the bank. The fact that's he's under contract for this year and next is perfect.

WhiteWhale
07-20-2019, 11:55 AM
I knew what KC had with Charles the moment they drafted him. He was a 1st round talent with elite speed and excellent vision to run inside and outside. I was begging this team to trade LJ while his value was peaked, knowing he was mostly a product of a dominant OL.

Williams is fine for what we do, but he's not Jamaal Charles. Reid can get production out of the position regardless of who is there.

rabblerouser
07-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Well yeah, he has a 4.0 ypc NOW because he got the benefit of playing in a Patrick Mahomes + Tyreek Hill + Travis Kelce + Andy Reid offense. Any Top 60 running back in the league would have success in such an offense.

Okay, so he good then?

Was he a wasted 1st round pick in your eyes? Like Mecole Hardman is a wasted 1st round pick to you?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 11:57 AM

To your second point, you don't want to control the clock if you are a superior team. If you are a better team, you want as many possessions as possible. That would be a valid argument if you weren't better than the other team. That is why you see especially in college basketball and college football the inferior team slow the game down all the time. For some reason it works for Virginia (basketball) but that is one of the only anomalies. Slowing the game down and giving PATRICK MAHOMES & FUTURE HOF ANDY REID LESS possessions instead of more allows more luck into the game.

I think you're looking at it wrong. He wasn't used correctly in the past. I read someone saying the dolphins liked him for goal line situations. All you have to do is look at the video in the OP and you can see the talent he has. Vision , speed and hands and watch the level he runs at. He has it all. Good coaches game for the talent they have.

arrwheader
07-20-2019, 11:58 AM
So pumped!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hoover
07-20-2019, 12:00 PM
The dude performed in the playoffs. Why people suddenly want to doubt him is beyond me.

smithandrew051
07-20-2019, 12:00 PM
I hope we take the committee approach. Keep the backs fresh and rotate often.

Hyde, Thompson, and both Williams is a nice group and they should all see plenty of opportunities.

I’ll take a group like this over 1 elite back any day.

Kiimo
07-20-2019, 12:01 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c9ORLLya5bQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My God the drop by Hill right before that

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Yes and he will be playing with these guys the next two years as well. So if he averages 5.1 yards a carry again that gives you a Lot of flexibilty.

You are wanting the Chiefs to be a 1-dimensional passing only team. In bad weather and Playoff time- you Have to be able to run the ball. And control the clock to close games out which we were terrible at last year.

I really don't care what he did on all those shitty Miami teams- he looked pretty explosive for us during the playoffs and will be a big weapon when teams try and blitz Mahomes. I think you will be happy with his production this year- not just running but catching the ball as well.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 12:10 PM
I knew what KC had with Charles the moment they drafted him. He was a 1st round talent with elite speed and excellent vision to run inside and outside. I was begging this team to trade LJ while his value was peaked, knowing he was mostly a product of a dominant OL.

Williams is fine for what we do, but he's not Jamaal Charles. Reid can get production out of the position regardless of who is there.

I think he runs more like Priest- the way he uses his blockers. Very fluid, great cut back moves and I like how he plows forward for that extra yard ala Marcus Allen.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-20-2019, 12:19 PM
My God the drop by Hill right before that

Of purses we had a penalty on that play

Chargem
07-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Lots of these arguments never make any sense to me:

If you believe "He was only good because he was in an Andy Reid offense" then unless the Chiefs have fired Andy and I haven't heard about it, you literally shouldn't give a shit who the running back is?

If you don't believe he was only good because of the offense he was in, then well he averaged 5.1 YPC last season, that's absolutely good - it's not like it was a tiny sample size either.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
07-20-2019, 12:31 PM
He also had 3 TDs vs the Pats in the AFC Championship game. He broke a defenders ankles on the Colts. Dude reminds me of a mix of Jamaal Charles and Priest Holmes

Pitt Gorilla
07-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Hyde, Thompson, and both Williams is a nice group and they should all see plenty of opportunities.

Keep them healthy as well. Williams was fresh for the post season. It’d be great to keep guys rested so that someone can be fresh for the second half of the season and playoffs.

Hammock Parties
07-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Reminds me a little of Reggie Bush.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Reminds me a little of Reggie Bush.

Not sure if thats good or bad?

Lets go with a combination of Holmes ,Allen and Charles with a little bit of Okoye sprinkled in.

Hammock Parties
07-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Reggie was a plus RB.

If he had played in this era he would have been even better.

Never intended to be a bellcow.

oldman
07-20-2019, 01:11 PM
In bad weather and Playoff time- you Have to be able to run the ball. And control the clock to close games out which we were terrible at last year.

I agree. There were times last year we could have sealed the deal if we were just able to run the ball. Instead we relied on PMII to dig us out of hole after hole only to watch the D put us in another one. I'll settle for a 4K yard, 35 TD year from our QB if it means the Lombadri.

FloridaMan88
07-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Duke Johnson would be better RB depth than Carlos Hyde.

BWillie
07-20-2019, 01:15 PM
Lots of these arguments never make any sense to me:

If you believe "He was only good because he was in an Andy Reid offense" then unless the Chiefs have fired Andy and I haven't heard about it, you literally shouldn't give a shit who the running back is?

If you don't believe he was only good because of the offense he was in, then well he averaged 5.1 YPC last season, that's absolutely good - it's not like it was a tiny sample size either.

You are right. It really doesn't matter as much as other teams at least who our RB is as long as they can catch a football. But people on this board are acting like Williams is a Top 5 RB or something.

lcarus
07-20-2019, 01:49 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JBjNDBUsPDs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This run made me throw a shoe in glee.

R Clark
07-20-2019, 01:50 PM

One of the dumbest post on cp

Reerun_KC
07-20-2019, 02:02 PM
I thought he became our starting RB when the clarks panicked?

BigCatDaddy
07-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Some teams and coaches just ended up having a shitty running game no matter the back. The Colts and Lions were those teams for years.

BWillie
07-20-2019, 02:17 PM
One of the dumbest post on cp

Please disprove.

https://theathletic.com/1080027/2019/07/17/chiefs-u-offense-202-why-andy-reid-and-co-should-throw-ball-on-nearly-every-play/

-King-
07-20-2019, 02:21 PM

https://i.imgur.com/P1VQjdk.gif
LMAO

staylor26
07-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Duke Johnson would be better RB depth than Carlos Hyde.

Darwin Thompson will be too.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 02:29 PM
LMAO

Thank you for that!!! Is that not awesome! But really what initially got my attention was the 10 yard burst he made. Holy shit!

el borracho
07-20-2019, 02:29 PM
What was his longest run last year? For a fast guy, it doesn’t seem like he breaks too many long runs. Am I misremembering?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 02:35 PM
What was his longest run last year? For a fast guy, it doesn’t seem like he breaks too many long runs. Am I misremembering?

Watch the damn video!

-King-
07-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Please disprove.

https://theathletic.com/1080027/2019/07/17/chiefs-u-offense-202-why-andy-reid-and-co-should-throw-ball-on-nearly-every-play/

That article is just like saying "Planes are so much safer than cars, so Everytime someone has to travel anywhere, they should use a plane instead of a car" ignoring any nuance. The more a team passes, the higher the chance for a sack, interception, and injury to the quarterback. I mean could you imagine if von Miller and Bradley Chubb could pin their ears back on every play with little worry of a run? As great as Schwartz is, that's an insane thing to ask of him.

That plan would be a disaster.

bsp4444
07-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Please disprove.

So yeah, let’s let teams all out blitz our savior QB every single down because we never run the ball. Great freaking strategy.

-King-
07-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Thank you for that!!! Is that not awesome! But really what initially got my attention was the 10 yard burst he made. Holy shit!
He's like a charcandrick west except he can actually run and isn't purely a receiving threat.

BigCatDaddy
07-20-2019, 02:55 PM
So yeah, let’s let teams all out blitz our savior QB every single down because we never run the ball. Great freaking strategy.

Well, it is a BWillie post.

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 02:55 PM
The dude performed in the playoffs. Why people suddenly want to doubt him is beyond me.

This. And he made the biggest catch of the year against the Ravens. Not the toughest catch but not the easiest either. It's good to know a player doesn't choke on 4th and the game.

Remember Johnny Morton dropping sooooo many crucial 3rd down passes right in his hands? That shit kills you.

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 03:02 PM
As good as Hunt is, teams had the book on how to shut him down - stack the box and shadow him at all times. Now this opened up the rest of the offense, so not a bad thing. But sometimes you'd really like to have a running game - IE when you have the lead.

It remains to be seen if teams get a book on stuffing Williams - but so far it seems like he opens up more options and maybe forces Reid to be a little more creative.

Also the speed - that screen pass TD against the Pats it really looked like the defender had the angle to get him at the 5 - but Williams just blew right through it. Williams may have that extra gear in the open field that Hunt didn't.

Easy 6
07-20-2019, 03:04 PM
This guy is no Hunt, but is plenty good enough

The running back corp as a whole will be greater than the sum of its parts... it’s a deep group, we’re all set

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm really excited to see what Hyde and Darwin Thompson can do.

-King-
07-20-2019, 03:08 PM
I'm really excited to see what Hyde and Darwin Thompson can do.
I think Hyde will be cut and we go into the season with Williams and Thompson as our main backs. But that could be just because I'm really high on Thompson and think he could be something.

RINGLEADER
07-20-2019, 03:35 PM
It’s his pass catching ability that is going to impress people. It will also be the reason he’s our starter well into the future.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 03:35 PM
Please disprove.

Paywall.

Warrick
07-20-2019, 03:37 PM
This guy is no Hunt, but is plenty good enough

The running back corp as a whole will be greater than the sum of its parts... it’s a deep group, we’re all set

I'm in this camp myself. Williams is a good running back, not elite like Charles or Hunt. Whoever compared Williams to an aging Charles with two ACL injuries, and on a broncos offense is just not thinking about the big picture or body of work. Anybody can cherry pick highlights from one year, but what defines you is what you do over the course of your career.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 03:37 PM
I think Hyde will be cut and we go into the season with Williams and Thompson as our main backs. But that could be just because I'm really high on Thompson and think he could be something.

Reports are that Hyde has beefed up. He is probably going to be a short-yardage specialist. Something the Chiefs could improve on.

Bowser
07-20-2019, 03:50 PM
This. And he made the biggest catch of the year against the Ravens. Not the toughest catch but not the easiest either. It's good to know a player doesn't choke on 4th and the game.

Remember Johnny Morton dropping sooooo many crucial 3rd down passes right in his hands? That shit kills you.

Ugh, Morton. I remember him and Boerigter dropping sure TD passes against the Colts in the playoffs 2003. Thanks for dredging THAT memory up.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 03:56 PM
I wonder how long the media will keep saying we are taking a step back since we don't have Hunt?

The first game without him was shaky- Mahomes led the team in rushing yards- but after that, D TRain filled in nicely.

Oh shit- we lost Marcus Allen- we are doomed!!

neech
07-20-2019, 04:05 PM

This is how I think Reid will use the RB's. A lot of mixing it up with different backs for running, receiving and blocking.

The opponents defense are going to be in back peddle mode while Mahomes and company press the gas on them. Forward I say keep them on their heels the whole game.

el borracho
07-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Watch the damn video!

Sorry, I was not clear. I was thinking specifically about runs over 25 yards. In just a few years, Larry Johnson had multiple TDs from 35 yards out or more). I know it was a different scheme with different teammates, but there was always the threat that LJ could score from anywhere. Williams is fine for what we need. He had numerous runs greater than 10 yards last year but I haven’t seen any indication that he can score from anywhere.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Sorry, I was not clear. I was thinking specifically about runs over 25 yards. In just a few years, Larry Johnson had multiple TDs from 35 yards out or more). I know it was a different scheme with different teammates, but there was always the threat that LJ could score from anywhere. Williams is fine for what we need. He had numerous runs greater than 10 yards last year but I haven’t seen any indication that he can score from anywhere.

He's limited because of our WR play. Teams play safetys deep .

TRR
07-20-2019, 04:28 PM
I don’t think it’s about scoring from anywhere on the field, or having the home run threat in the backfield. What KC missed most about losing Kareem Hunt was his ability to keep the offense on track. He rarely lost yards on early downs, and even if not blocked perfectly, had the ability to make something out of nothing. He also had the balance and power to turn a 3 yard gain into 5. A 4 yard gain into 7, etc. That’s what KC missed until Williams took over (Ware was very up and down).

The trick will be...can Williams carry a majority of the load for 16+ games? Can he keep the offense out of holes, and on track for a full season. We’ll see!

ThaVirus
07-20-2019, 06:25 PM
This offense regressing is so unbelievably hilarious.

It's really not. Our 2018 offense was literally like a top 3-5 offense of all time. That type of success is hard to maintain. The 07 Pat's couldn't do it, the 2013 Broncos couldn't do it.

Something is bound to happen to bring us back down to earth. And that's fine. We don't need to average 36 PPG or whatever we did last season. Well, we shouldn't need to anyway... I hope we don't need to..

It was a great run. He started off going east-west, found the lane, then put his foot in the dirt and got downfield in a hurry. He did look a bit like Tyreek for a second. He's a bit taller, looks a bit more slim, and clearly doesn't have the otherworldly speed Reek has.

TambaBerry
07-20-2019, 06:57 PM
I love how mahomes throws the ball to the rb. I never saw the rb have to wait for the ball or slow down to catch it

ThaVirus
07-20-2019, 07:20 PM
I love how mahomes throws the ball to the rb. I never saw the rb have to wait for the ball or slow down to catch it

It's so refreshing. The opportunities these players have in this offense are just insane.

If Mahomes can clean up his deep accuracy and stop trying to do too much at times, he really has a chance to be one of the GOATs. I mean, it looks like he's got a shot at that even if he doesn't improve at all.

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Yeah after living through Cassel, and to a lesser degree Smiff putting RBs through contortions to catch screens, or often just completely overthrowing them, I've come to the conclusion that screen passes aren't as easy as they look. But Mahomes makes them look that way.

Dunerdr
07-20-2019, 07:30 PM

Or anyone he throws to for that matter. My biggest frustration with Smith was he rarely hit receivers in perfect stride.

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 07:30 PM
I'm watching the Derrick Thomas - A Football Life right now. They just showed the Kimble Anders drop at the end of the first half vs. the Bills in the AFCCG.

I love Kimble. But this reiterates my point about Williams. The dude has already shown clutch - a rare and I believe underrated commodity. IMO - you hold on to players like that for dear life.

-King-
07-20-2019, 07:56 PM
I'm watching the Derrick Thomas - A Football Life right now. They just showed the Kimble Anders drop at the end of the first half vs. the Bills in the AFCCG.

I love Kimble. But this reiterates my point about Williams. The dude has already shown clutch - a rare and I believe underrated commodity. IMO - you hold on to players like that for dear life.

I like the guy but come on....let's not go overboard here.

suzzer99
07-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Huge catch vs. the Ravens.

Great plays vs. the Chargers late, and the Colts in the playoff game.

3TDs vs. the Pats - should have been 4 if Mahomes didn't overthrow him.

jerryaldini
07-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Last year Hunt 4.6 Damien 5.1. Control for Ried system and premier back. He's fine.

ThyKingdomCome15
07-20-2019, 09:57 PM
I posted in another thread that I thought he was going to have a huge year. Our running game will be able to pound the ball if defenses are going to play a safety deep all the time so Reek won't burn them. Hopefully, the O line will be a lot better than last year and smash some good running holes for him. Should be some open ground to that second level since teams have to respect our passing game.

OL should be better. LDT is healthy, Andrew Wylie played good for a rookie, better than good T's, and we may have a good one in the McKenzie kid.

Halfcan
07-20-2019, 10:51 PM
OL should be better. LDT is healthy, Andrew Wylie played good for a rookie, better than good T's, and we may have a good one in the McKenzie kid.

I hope so, Mahomes was running for his life last year. Fisher was sketchy at best. They were not physical at all and got manhandled in several games- mainly the first half of the Playoff loss.

Bump
07-20-2019, 11:11 PM

Yup, it's always in stride. It's awsesome.

bdj23
07-20-2019, 11:15 PM
He won me my FF championship

baitism
07-21-2019, 12:23 AM
Hunt was much better at breaking tackles.

Lzen
07-21-2019, 05:39 AM
Yeah, watching these highlights, I guess I took for granted how good he was. Not quite Jamal Charles good, but very good,nonetheless. I especially like that TD against the Colts. Not only does he have speed and shiftyness, he powers through runs, as well.

chiefzilla1501
07-21-2019, 06:43 AM
I like the guy but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Jamaal Charles was a stud in a time when defenses were practically throwing 9 in a box. Damien williams did great when all defenses stacked everybody deep. If he's a top 5 back he would have had more success in Miami and he would have been given a bigger, longer contract. But I'm happy to have him.

rtmike
07-21-2019, 02:43 PM
One of the best at screen passes. Caught pretty much everything thrown at him in Miami.
I was beyond elated when we picked him up, lol.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-21-2019, 02:47 PM
LMAO

You know Derwin James is known for being a thumper and laying the wood.

:clap:

JakeF
07-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Carlos Hyde is a starting level player if he improves at running routes.

Bowser
07-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Damien Williams, Carlos Hyde, Anthony Sherman, and Darwin Thompson.

We are as stacked at RB as we are at WR. This offense if going to be nuts.

Chiefshrink
07-21-2019, 06:30 PM

Oh never ! I see the talent in the RB stable for sure. Everyone will get their share of touches for 2 reasons. 1.Health/Fresh legs 2. D's can't key on one RB because they all bring a different style of play that keeps D's guessing.

Does the other Williams make the team ? That kid has a lot of talent as well and IMHO has the most power out of all the RBs in a short yardage situation outside of Sherm.

Chiefshrink
07-21-2019, 06:33 PM
You know Derwin James is known for being a thumper and laying the wood.

:clap:

:drool::drool::drool::drool: Trust me Derwin will think twice about who really lays the wood when D Will has the ball.:hmmm:

Love it !!:clap:

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-20-2020, 06:22 AM
Bump

BWillie
01-20-2020, 06:27 AM
I mean, the guy had 2.6 ypc but he did pick up some nice short downs. RB is definitely one of our weakest positions but we can get by with what we have.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-20-2020, 06:54 AM
I mean, the guy had 2.6 ypc but he did pick up some nice short downs. RB is definitely one of our weakest positions but we can get by with what we have.

You have to figure in his 5 receptions for 44 yards. Dude had 99 yards on the day.

threebag
01-20-2020, 07:03 AM
Solid pass catcher and pass protector. Gets some nice yards on the ground plays with a lot of fight and doesn’t want to go down. He usually has to have a couple people bring him down. If we had road graters on the O line Dam would be a stud

Chris Meck
01-20-2020, 08:37 AM

yeah, but:
1) he doesn't carry on the ground all that much, really.
2)some of that was late in the game when we were trying to kill clock. Tenn knew it, too, and yeah, he was ineffective. But it's not like there were holes there; our line doesn't run block/short yardage style very well.
3)you absolutely have to consider his 'whole' game into any discussion. He's a very good receiver, and Andy would prefer to throw.
4) there were drives in the game where we decided that yeah, we were gonna run it because Tenn was sitting back in coverage. And Williams was really good in those series.

Sorce
01-20-2020, 11:09 AM
yeah, but:

4) there were drives in the game where we decided that yeah, we were gonna run it because Tenn was sitting back in coverage. And Williams was really good in those series.

This made a huge difference. They were gonna sit back and guard the pass. Andy saw this and ate clock. Even in the 3rd the more time we ran off the clock the more it took Henry out of the game.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

chiefzilla1501
01-20-2020, 11:14 AM
I always loved what he brought to the screen game and receiving game. What Damien's been really good at the past few months or so has been grinding out the short yardage stuff. He's fighting for every single yard and you really gotta love that.

I know he's been fighting injury all year, but there was a point where Shady was the lead back even with Damien there. Andy did a brilliant job this year with load management which makes the Shady signing very underrated. Even if he contributes nothing in the playoffs, he's a big reason Damien is this fresh late in the season.

mililo4cpa
01-20-2020, 11:16 AM
yeah, but:
1) he doesn't carry on the ground all that much, really.
2)some of that was late in the game when we were trying to kill clock. Tenn knew it, too, and yeah, he was ineffective. But it's not like there were holes there; our line doesn't run block/short yardage style very well.
3)you absolutely have to consider his 'whole' game into any discussion. He's a very good receiver, and Andy would prefer to throw.

Don’t forget his pass blocking....he’s very good there too