PDA

View Full Version : News Rutger Hauer passes away at 75

DJJasonp
07-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Guy played some amazing/memorable villains....

Blade Runner and The Hitcher both come to mind....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rutger-hauer-dead-blade-runner-actor-was-75-1226629

EDIT: MODS FEEL FREE TO DELETE (didnt see thread in media section)!

Hammock Parties
07-24-2019, 08:45 PM
all those moments...lost...like....tears in the rain

suzzer99
07-24-2019, 11:30 PM
Goddamit one reply and you beat me to it!

Mahomes_Is_God
07-25-2019, 12:31 AM
RIP... there will never be a better shotgun-wielding hobo.

MahiMike
07-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Loved him in the Hitcher. My kind of movie.

RedRaider56
07-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Nighthawks had to be one of my favorites.
Sad to hear of his passing

Frazod
07-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Guy played some amazing/memorable villains....

Blade Runner and The Hitcher both come to mind....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rutger-hauer-dead-blade-runner-actor-was-75-1226629

EDIT: MODS FEEL FREE TO DELETE (didnt see thread in media section)!

I actually meant to put mine in the main forum.

Holladay
07-25-2019, 09:37 AM
It seems that he adlibbed Most of "Tears in the Rain".

He really made a name for himself with his turn as Batty and the character's "Tears in the Rain" speech — which he improvised — in the original Blade Runner.

"Rutger read that speech and then went on with a couple of lines about memories in the rain," co-screenwriter David Webb Peoples told THR in 2017. "And then he looked at me like a naughty little boy, like he was checking to see if the writer was going to be upset. I didn't let on that I was upset, but at the time, I was a little upset and threatened by it.

"Later, seeing the movie, that was a brilliant contribution of Rutger's, that line about tears in the rain. It is absolutely beautiful."

Talk about getting into character!

Simply Red
07-25-2019, 11:54 AM
I watched The Hitcher this year - he was so damned good. RIP

suzzer99
07-25-2019, 12:54 PM
It seems that he adlibbed Most of "Tears in the Rain".

Talk about getting into character!

That's incredible. It's one of the most memorable lines in movie history imo. I had no idea he improvised it.

suzzer99
07-25-2019, 01:01 PM
Not sure if anyone else remembers the sci-fi series Lexx. There was an episode where they went to this planet of junkies, led by Rutger Hauer.

They were all addicted to this drug called "pattern" - which you made by dumping human beings into a machine and drinking the essence that came out. But it was only good with clean humans. Other junkies produced a super poor product.

At one point a sound went out and everyone starting moaning about "the drain". Rutger got his typical evil grin and said "the drain is the best part". Everyone went over to a giant hole in the ground, where a snake came out of their back and puked up a bunch of their essence (assuming) down to a giant mother snake waiting at the bottom of the hole.

It's the best metaphor I've ever seen for drugs and addiction - and Rutger Hauer made it perfect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6N007HeLapk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found it.

MahiMike
07-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Not sure if anyone else remembers the sci-fi series Lexx. There was an episode where they went to this planet of junkies, led by Rutger Hauer.

They were all addicted to this drug called "pattern" - which you made by dumping human beings into a machine and drinking the essence that came out. But it was only good with clean humans. Other junkies produced a super poor product.

At one point a sound went out and everyone starting moaning about "the drain". Rutger got his typical evil grin and said "the drain is the best part". Everyone went over to a giant hole in the ground, where a snake came out of their back and puked up a bunch of their essence (assuming) down to a giant mother snake waiting at the bottom of the hole.

It's the best metaphor I've ever seen for drugs and addiction - and Rutger Hauer made it perfect.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6N007HeLapk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found it.

I'll check it out. Surprised this thread isn't getting more play. The 80's and 90's produced some good quality for it's time.

DJJasonp
07-25-2019, 06:44 PM
I posted in the other thread:

Life imitating art: Blade Runner took place in the year 2019.

Uncanny timing!