PDA

View Full Version : Football 2017 QB Draft

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2019, 05:26 PM
The 2017 Draft turned out perfectly for us, clearly (Thank you Bengals et. al). The question is no longer who the best QB from that draft is; it's who is second-best between Watson and Trubisky, as evidenced by threads posing that question on each of their boards.

So, here's my question: Why in God's name did the Bears trade up one spot to take Mitch? What could possibly be the rationale here? There were ZERO other teams dumb enough to trade up to the #2 spot for him, so why not take his inferior ass at #3, especially given the insane amount of draft capital they gave up. I don't get it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-03-2019, 05:30 PM
It does seem odd. Maybe they had inside intelligence that alerted them another team was willing to trade to #2 so they had to beat them to the punch and offer a better package to secure what they thought was LOLOL the awesomeness.. It's really the only explanation.

BryanBusby
08-03-2019, 05:34 PM
So, here's my question: Why in God's name did the Bears trade up one spot to take Mitch? What could possibly be the rationale here? There were ZERO other teams dumb enough to trade up to the #2 spot for him, so why not take his inferior ass at #3, especially given the insane amount of draft capital they gave up. I don't get it.
I said it the moment it happened, and again later and I'll repeat it again. I have no idea why the fuck the Bears traded what they did to move up one spot to secure Trubisky. They could have moved down and still got him, if anything.

Right now I think the #2 QB from the draft is Watson, but that could change by the end of this upcoming season. Tittiekisser is getting more reps in a good system and has pretty good options to work with.

Meanwhile in Houston, that line is still shit and really outside of Hopkins playing out of his mind none of Watson's weapons are worth a fuck. The Texans need to wake up and fire BoB and get him some quality coaching.

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2019, 05:40 PM
It does seem odd. Maybe they had inside intelligence that alerted them another team was willing to trade to #2 so they had to beat them to the punch and offer a better package to secure what they thought was LOLOL the awesomeness.. It's really the only explanation.Suppose some team actually was stupid enough to move up for Tribs. WHO. GIVES. A. ****? Let them. You get to keep all your picks AND get at least as good of a prospect. This makes zero sense under any scenario.

RealSNR
08-03-2019, 05:45 PM
And your question is further complicated by the fact that the Bears had just signed Mike Glennon to a 3 year deal only a month prior to drafting Trubisky. And there was no change in coach, GM, or lead front office personnel from the previous spring. They had the exact same decision makers in place who would have done all of the regular season scouting in addition to checking out things like the combine, which were all events that took place BEFORE free agency.

So if Trubisky was truly THEIR GUY and they believed no other QB was good enough for them, then MAYBE the trade up makes sense, but the fact that they spent all that money on a 3 year deal for Mike fucking Glennon really throws a wrench in the works there.

In any case, it was a clear case of indecision, lack of a coherent power structure, and a lack of communication on the part of the Bears. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that chaos and disorganization played a part in their dumbass trade up.

KCUnited
08-03-2019, 05:48 PM
The Bears created a bidding war for Trubisky with themselves. The simple answer is Ryan Pace is a complete buttfucking moron.

After 4.5 years of working from home in Chicago, I'm now being required to work out of an office 2-3 days a week. I'm not happy about it, but the silver lining is that I have my work station looking like a fucking shrine to Mahomes, which is soon to include a box of cereal I'm having shipped. Every time they want to get excited about Trubisky, they walk by my station and are reminded that they passed over what could've been their Aaron Rodgers (whom they hate) for Alex Smith. The looks on some of these wannabe Ditka's makes the commute halfway worth it.

wheeler08
08-03-2019, 06:39 PM
This will go down as one of the worst draft mistakes in history, along with the Blazers skipping Jordan for Bowie (or at least that’s who I thought was involved without me looking it up). Imagine that Bears defense combined with Mahomes!

It’s not only did they trade one spot up for him, it’s how much they gave up to get him!

Jerok
08-03-2019, 06:46 PM
This will go down as one of the worst draft mistakes in history, along with the Blazers skipping Jordan for Bowie (or at least that’s who I thought was involved without me looking it up). Imagine that Bears defense combined with Mahomes!

It’s not only did they trade one spot up for him, it’s how much they gave up to get him!

Nah, the worst draft mistake in history was the Bills trading away Mahomes. I'm not sure how Bill's fans sleep at night.

TLO
08-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Nah, the worst draft mistake in history was the Bills trading away Mahomes. I'm not sure how Bill's fans sleep at night.

The Bills would have ruined Mahomes just like they ruin everything else.

Fuck Buffalo. And fuck the Bills.

KChiefs1
The real puzzle to me is why did Buffalo trade us their pick when they needed a QB as bad as we did?

Stupid trade for them but glad they are run by morons.

RealSNR
Does anybody think Dorsey and Reid settle for their 2nd choice in Watson if the Bears had been smarter and taken Mahomes? Reid said they liked him, but do you think they would have liked him enough to make the same trade? Only for Watson instead of Mahomes?

I actually say no. I think the Texans WERE desperate and would have made that trade. They might have even paid more to move up higher than 12 after the Bears took Mahomes at 2 or 3. But I don't think the Chiefs would have paid what they did for Mahomes to settle for Watson.

Makes Dorsey's ability to work the draft board and know the EXACT sweet spot of when to grab Mahomes even more remarkable.

RunKC
08-03-2019, 06:56 PM
Does anybody think Dorsey and Reid settle for their 2nd choice in Watson if the Bears had been smarter and taken Mahomes? Reid said they liked him, but do you think they would have liked him enough to make the same trade? Only for Watson instead of Mahomes?

I actually say no. I think the Texans WERE desperate and would have made that trade. They might have even paid more to move up higher than 12 after the Bears took Mahomes at 2 or 3. But I don't think the Chiefs would have paid what they did for Mahomes to settle for Watson.

Makes Dorsey's ability to work the draft board and know the EXACT sweet spot of when to grab Mahomes even more remarkable.

Yes Watson is very good.

He’s been damn good playing for a dumpster fire. He’s got the same terrible OL David Carr had.

BryanBusby
08-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Lets not change things too much here. Pat needed to go to the right situation and that wasn't John Fox in Chicago (lol) or the aids fire in Buffalo.

Tribal Warfare
08-03-2019, 07:24 PM
The real puzzle to me is why did Buffalo trade us their pick when they needed a QB as bad as we did?

Stupid trade for them but glad they are run by morons.

Some NFL scouting departments believed that PMII was a raw prospect who benefitted from the Air Raid system that couldn't read defenses thus relying on his athletic gifts. thus he was rated as a 2nd to 3rd round prospect.

The articles I've read insinuated that Dorsey was on the fence drafting PMII as a 1st round pick in general.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Watson would be great under Reid too. But still nowhere near Mahomes great.

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2019, 09:00 PM

Makes Dorsey's ability to work the draft board and know the EXACT sweet spot of when to grab Mahomes even more remarkable.Even the Texans didn't really want Watson; they wanted Mahomes. That being said, I think the Chiefs stand pat (pun intended) and hope Watson falls to later in the first. When he doesn't, they pick someone else. Fortunately, there were enough useful idiots for the Chiefs do play this perfectly. Huge props to Dorsey and the staff.

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2019, 09:01 PM
Some NFL scouting departments believed that PMII was a raw prospect who benefitted from the Air Raid system that couldn't read defenses thus relying on his athletic gifts. thus he was rated as a 2nd to 3rd round prospect.

The articles I've read insinuated that Dorsey was on the fence drafting PMII as a 1st round pick in general.How do those people still have jobs? Jesus.

JD10367
08-04-2019, 05:39 AM
How do those people still have jobs? Jesus.

Because it’s hard to compare college production to the pro level. Brady went in the 6th, Jamarcus Russell went #1. Tim Tebow. Johnny Manziel. Rick Mirer at #2 after Drew Bledsoe went #1. Ryan Leaf went #2 after Peyton Manning went #1. It’s hard to measure intangibles, position changes, muscle addition, etc,.

tredadda
08-04-2019, 06:25 AM
Watson is the better QB between him and Mitch. He would have thrived under Reid with this offense, just not to the same extent that Mahomes has.

New World Order
08-04-2019, 06:41 AM
"couldn't read defenses thus relying on his athletic gifts"

Gee, I would have never guessed. They only averaged 43 ppg.

Whatever

wheeler08
08-04-2019, 06:45 AM
Watson would have been Reid’s McNabb. Mahomes is Reid’s Brett Favre

wheeler08
08-04-2019, 06:48 AM
I don’t think anyone would be talking about Mahomes now if he had went to Buffalo. I don’t know if even he could save that franchise. I don’t know if I could name 3 players from that team. I could name some receivers that have been busts so far and that QB that tries to challenge Mahomes on social media and gets made fun of

Deberg_1990
08-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Why didn’t the Browns or Jags take a QB in the 1st that year??

Best22
08-04-2019, 07:58 AM

**** Buffalo. And **** the Bills.

Impossible

He wouldn’t win MVP up there but he’d still have more success than an other Bills QB up there since 1999

Chris Meck
08-04-2019, 08:09 AM
The big takeaway for me is that the pundits don't know fuck-all. Most of the scouts are just guessing, and NFL GM's don't know shit either, really, when it comes to QB.

Mental processing is the most important factor, and there's no way to see that the way college football is played now.

I do think you can tell in a kid's make-up if he's a film rat. If he's not, you have no chance.

Mahomes' ungodly arm talent is an unteachable thing, and his overall athletic ability is high, but it's his brain that should be truly terrifying to the rest of the NFL.

The fact that Trubisky went first tells me nobody knows what the fuck they're doing. Watson? He's got heart. His weak arm will be a problem. I don't see him being dominant. I see an Alex Smith type ceiling there. Despite the general consensus of the board, that's an above average NFL starter, but he's not winning multiple Super Bowls. Trubisky I still don't know what he'll be; supposedly he was the most NFL-ready, but that appears to not be the case.

penchief
08-04-2019, 08:16 AM
I don’t think anyone would be talking about Mahomes now if he had went to Buffalo. I don’t know if even he could save that franchise. I don’t know if I could name 3 players from that team. I could name some receivers that have been busts so far and that QB that tries to challenge Mahomes on social media and gets made fun of

I've never bought that argument. His talent is transcendent. Once a team recognized what it had on it's hands, even the most inept organizations would have moved mountains to take full advantage. Obviously, some teams would be more successful than others but no matter where Mahomes landed, his talent and playmaking ability would still be rocking the league.

RealSNR
08-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Because they're fucking morons, that's why.

That's what's so great about the 2017 class. It was supposed to be a huge letdown. Some people thought it could be as bad as 2013. And it could end up being the best class since 2014 when all is said and done.

It currently blows 2018 out of the fucking water, and that was TEH GREATEST QB CLASS EVAR

BryanBusby
08-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Impossible

He wouldn’t win MVP up there but he’d still have more success than an other Bills QB up there since 1999
With that line, coaching and weapons? No fucking way.

KChiefs1
08-04-2019, 12:12 PM
The 9 players who were taken before Mahomes.

https://youtu.be/qbjsb4y9lTs
https://youtu.be/4PM37Emufy8

Hoover
08-04-2019, 12:43 PM
The ONLY thing Mitch has going for him is Nagy IMO.

Perfect coach for their situation. Still - Chicago fans believe their only weakness is at K and TE, and thus bound for a SB, but I think they regress this season and will be at best a wild card team.

I think people are really sleeping on the Packers and the Lions are not awful in that division either. Their schedule isn't easy.

Pitt Gorilla
08-04-2019, 01:22 PM
The big takeaway for me is that the pundits don't know ****-all. Most of the scouts are just guessing, and NFL GM's don't know shit either, really, when it comes to QB.

Mental processing is the most important factor, and there's no way to see that the way college football is played now.

I do think you can tell in a kid's make-up if he's a film rat. If he's not, you have no chance.

Mahomes' ungodly arm talent is an unteachable thing, and his overall athletic ability is high, but it's his brain that should be truly terrifying to the rest of the NFL.

The fact that Trubisky went first tells me nobody knows what the **** they're doing. Watson? He's got heart. His weak arm will be a problem. I don't see him being dominant. I see an Alex Smith type ceiling there. Despite the general consensus of the board, that's an above average NFL starter, but he's not winning multiple Super Bowls. Trubisky I still don't know what he'll be; supposedly he was the most NFL-ready, but that appears to not be the case.If you read the articles surrounding Mahomes' draft, Reid knew exactly what he had in terms of Pat's football acumen.

Bump
08-04-2019, 03:38 PM

**** Buffalo. And **** the Bills.

Buffalo would be a contender with Mahomes. Mahomes is unable to be ruined by any bad scheme, coaches or lack of talent. Mahomes would make that coach a hall of fame coach.

SAUTO
08-04-2019, 05:09 PM

The articles I've read insinuated that Dorsey was on the fence drafting PMII as a 1st round pick in general.

3 of the 6 on the draft advisory board said 3rd rounder iirc.

I've never read an article saying Dorsey was on the fence at any time during the draft process, got a link?

wheeler08
08-04-2019, 05:25 PM
The ONLY thing Mitch has going for him is Nagy IMO.

Perfect coach for their situation. Still - Chicago fans believe their only weakness is at K and TE, and thus bound for a SB, but I think they regress this season and will be at best a wild card team.

I think people are really sleeping on the Packers and the Lions are not awful in that division either. Their schedule isn't easy.

I don’t get the love for the Lions as sleepers this year?? Same with the Bills, I could name about 3 players on that team and they are always letdowns if you ever draft anyone in fantasy from that team. I guess we’ll find out in week 4,
And I’ll be there!

Bears have a helluva battle going on in training camp at kicker. They have Trey Burton at TE

HemiEd
08-04-2019, 05:41 PM
The 2017 Draft turned out perfectly for us, clearly (Thank you Bengals et. al). The question is no longer who the best QB from that draft is; it's who is second-best between Watson and Trubisky, as evidenced by threads posing that question on each of their boards.

I questioned it at the time, but having lived in Chicagoland for almost 2 decades I resigned myself to the fact they need to make sure that they threw as much fuel on the offseason fan fire as possible.

It's a business, especially there. They got a lot of pub out of doing all of that.

Pitt Gorilla
09-05-2019, 08:09 PM
I mean....

Pitt Gorilla
09-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Worse case scenario, some other team moves up to #2 and you’re left drafting Watson or Mahomes.

lcarus
09-05-2019, 09:55 PM
So glad its other teams making terrible franchise cementkng decisions and not us. Its a nice change of pace after an eternity of us being one of those teams.

wazu
09-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Listening to Trubisky's postgame presser. A meathead spouting cliches. He will never be good.

Rain Man
09-05-2019, 10:21 PM
The 9 players who were taken before Mahomes.

https://youtu.be/qbjsb4y9lTs
https://youtu.be/4PM37Emufy8

I was just looking at that. I think we win.

Myles Garrett
Mitchell Trubisky
Solomon Thomas*
Leonard Fournette*
Corey Davis*
Jamal Adams
Mike Williams*
Christian McCaffrey*
John Ross

Bump
09-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Watson would be great under Reid too. But still nowhere near Mahomes great.

Nope. Mahomes IS that generational talent you only see once every 30ish years.

Setsuna
09-05-2019, 10:51 PM

We haD BLake BORtles! We DIdn'T NEed AnothER QB! :deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee::deevee:

BossChief
09-05-2019, 11:03 PM
I was just looking at that. I think we win.

Myles Garrett
Mitchell Trubisky
Solomon Thomas*
Leonard Fournette*
Corey Davis*
Jamal Adams
Mike Williams*
Christian McCaffrey*
John Ross

I wouldn’t trade Mahomes for that whole group of players.

Crazy that basically says he’s worth more than 9 first round picks.

Frosty
09-06-2019, 12:09 AM
You want to read some really awful takes (https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/d0ap6h/mattufford_every_mitchell_trubisky_incompletion/?st=k07pwl3v&sh=ea04a784)about this from tonight? Apparently everyone knew that Watson was going to be a stud (he is?) and Mahomes was a reckless gunslinger who is only good because of Reid.