PDA

View Full Version : Misc Who's had a cardio ablation?

fan4ever
08-13-2019, 07:33 PM
Been on meds for a-fib for years. Last episode doctor recommended ablation. Going with a Dr. who does "cryo-ablation" rather than using heat in two days. I've done my homework...although relatively new, this is a proven and popular treatment...less risk.

Anyone have any (uplifting) stories to share? I hope this doesn't backfire. :eek:

dlphg9
08-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Had one and I died, but it gave me the ability to post on CP as a ghost. Good luck

fan4ever
08-13-2019, 07:41 PM
That didn't take long.

Sorry...pretty low risk procedure...out same day...so you no scare me fella.

dlphg9
08-13-2019, 07:46 PM
That didn't take long.

Sorry wasn't trying to scare you. Was trying to be uplifting, but yeah from what I read it seems to be a very quick and safe procedure.

Jewish Rabbi
08-13-2019, 07:54 PM
Why don’t you just use some essential oils? I’m sure Big Daddy can steer you in the right direction.

Simply Red
08-13-2019, 08:03 PM
That didn't take long.

that dude is a dumb fuck - prayers up and out your way, friend.

eDave
08-13-2019, 08:06 PM
I don't have a-fib. That's pretty uplifting.

fan4ever
08-13-2019, 09:15 PM
I don't have a-fib. That's pretty uplifting.

You're far too young...

...and virile...

...and heartless.

KCUnited
08-13-2019, 09:20 PM
I’ve stretched out ablasian or 2 in my day. Definitely recommended.

lewdog
08-13-2019, 09:21 PM
Fairly safe procedure. You seem in good health otherwise so I don't see this as a problem for you.

scho63
08-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Did CP cause this?

dlphg9
08-13-2019, 10:37 PM
that dude is a dumb **** - prayers up and out your way, friend.

Oh fuck you. It's was a joke for fucks sake.

dlphg9
08-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Did CP cause this?

Probably the AFC Championship game. If not for that fuck Dee Ford, Fan4ever wouldn't be going through all of this.

Old Dog
08-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Daughter (30yo) just had one done on the 10th of July after meds hadn't worked for her over about a 6 month time frame. Had previously been having spots of A-fib at least weekly that would last 1-2 days at a time with periods of flutter as well. She was on the table for roughly five hours (which is about double the norm) and had to stay overnight, but since then she's had zero issues. She was told that they won't fully know for a couple of months how well it worked, but all signs are great so far (knock on wood).
Hope it works as well for you as it seems to for her.

fan4ever
08-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Daughter (30yo) just had one done on the 10th of July after meds hadn't worked for her over about a 6 month time frame. Had previously been having spots of A-fib at least weekly that would last 1-2 days at a time with periods of flutter as well. She was on the table for roughly five hours (which is about double the norm) and had to stay overnight, but since then she's had zero issues. She was told that they won't fully know for a couple of months how well it worked, but all signs are great so far (knock on wood).
Hope it works as well for you as it seems to for her.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been informed that you won't know for months for sure...you'll have episodes of a-fib, PVC's, etc. but at the end of 90 days or so you'll know where you stand. My brother (who's a fitness fiend) has had two ablations because the first one didn't totally take which I guess isn't unusual.

I'm so glad we live in an age where science/medicine can do so much...otherwise I think my alternative would be to live in a-fib (which I've been doing since Easter) or have a pace maker.

BWillie
08-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Is that what happens after I drink six red bulls and snort an 8ball? My heart starts racing and the hookers tell me to calm down.

journeyscarab
08-14-2019, 09:44 AM
I've been in a holding pattern for getting an ablation due to job changes and insurance. Following a couple of FB groups where there are mixed reviews on the success rate for the proceedure. Of course, the alternative is a handful of meds every day.

Hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

BlackHelicopters
08-14-2019, 10:00 AM
Bush’s fault.

fan4ever
08-14-2019, 10:14 AM
I've been in a holding pattern for getting an ablation due to job changes and insurance. Following a couple of FB groups where there are mixed reviews on the success rate for the proceedure. Of course, the alternative is a handful of meds every day.

Hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks. This is what my cardiologist told me 8 years ago; go with meds until they don't work anymore. Flecainide has about 10 years where it will work to control your heart rate. After that, the ablation is the next alternative...but definitely start with the meds...and ablations also have about a decade before the nerve cells that are misfiring grow back anyway...and as you noted, often the first ablation isn't enough.

Old Dog
08-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Thanks. This is what my cardiologist told me 8 years ago; go with meds until they don't work anymore. Flecainide has about 10 years where it will work to control your heart rate. After that, the ablation is the next alternative...but definitely start with the meds...and ablations also have about a decade before the nerve cells that are misfiring grow back anyway...and as you noted, often the first ablation isn't enough.

From what I read and what the electrophysiologist had to say on it, the initial success rate is roughly 60% (of course it may be different with the "cryo" version, I've no clue). The reason the daughter went ahead and had it done was the meds didn't seem to work worth a damn to control the arrhythmia.

wisconsinchief
08-14-2019, 10:39 AM
My wife has a-fib most of time. She's been on two different med's that basically haven't done much. Her cardiologist says cardio ablation is the next step, but really don't have a timeline. We also heard it's pretty low risk, but we (meaning I) haven't heard of the cryo-ablation. I'll pass that along. Thanks and hope you have a successful outcome. Please keep us updated.

Regarding previous remarks. Sometimes the humor is lost in a forum environment, but I don't think anyone intended to be malicious.

Cheater5
08-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Yes, I had it done in 2015 at age 45; same procedure-- cryo ablation. The younger you are the more successful the procedure is; not sure where someone who wrote 60% success rate got that information.

Like everything, experiences vary. My Afib was fairly heavy; flecanide had zero effect and I went from diagnosis to ablation in about six months. I did spend a night in the hospital, and I took a few days off from work. I was back to working out in two weeks (yes, I like to exercise; five to six times per week). I was definitely still having afib-like symptoms for months after the procedure, to the extent I even wore a heart monitor for 30 days to see if I needed another procedure. It's leveled out now and I may have a handful of occurrences per year; I'll take it considering there were times I thought I was going to faint at my desk.

Again, everyone is different but for about two days afterward I felt incredibly weak, extremely tired ALL the time, and I felt like I was beat up by a biker gang-- just sore all over. Bottom line- I am glad I did it and while it's a little unnerving knowing they are going to 'burn' multiple places on the surface of your heart (40-50 for me), and they could potentially burn a hole in you-- I'd rather that then take medication the rest of my life and constantly have to see a cardiologist.

Hope that helps.

Old Dog
08-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Yes, I had it done in 2015 at age 45; same procedure-- cryo ablation. The younger you are the more successful the procedure is; not sure where someone who wrote 60% success rate got that information.

Like everything, experiences vary. My Afib was fairly heavy; flecanide had zero effect and I went from diagnosis to ablation in about six months. I did spend a night in the hospital, and I took a few days off from work. I was back to working out in two weeks (yes, I like to exercise; five to six times per week). I was definitely still having afib-like symptoms for months after the procedure, to the extent I even wore a heart monitor for 30 days to see if I needed another procedure. It's leveled out now and I may have a handful of occurrences per year; I'll take it considering there were times I thought I was going to faint at my desk.

Again, everyone is different but for about two days afterward I felt incredibly weak, extremely tired ALL the time, and I felt like I was beat up by a biker gang-- just sore all over. Bottom line- I am glad I did it and while it's a little unnerving knowing they are going to 'burn' multiple places on the surface of your heart (40-50 for me), and they could potentially burn a hole in you-- I'd rather that then take medication the rest of my life and constantly have to see a cardiologist.

Hope that helps.

Here's one source (again not speaking of the cryo version, as I didn't research it at all since that's not what she was having done) but what I mainly relied on for my statement of the initial 60% success rate was straight from the mouth of the electrophysiologist that performed the procedure.
Daughter parroted the rest of what you said as well RE: feeling tired and weak for 3-4 days and if I recollect correctly he told her no workouts for 10 days, but then she was back to her normal routine.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/new-technologies-improve-atrial-fibrillation-ablation

journeyscarab
08-14-2019, 11:46 AM

Yeah the Tikosyn and Diltiazem seem to be working ok. I can tell if I fall out of rhythm but the meds usually kick me right back in again pretty quickly. I am good with just doing the meds until they dont work anymore. Working on losing weight, exercising and sleeping with a CPAP. All seem to be working well.

Bwana
08-14-2019, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure, but good luck with the procedure.

fan4ever
08-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Hope that helps.

Here's a short video on the cryo...two and a half minutes.

<iframe width="1264" height="711" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QBREs0N_VlY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fan4ever
08-14-2019, 01:25 PM

Hope that helps.

I've been lucky with the meds...little side affect and virtually no dizziness...but they ain't workin' no more. Funny thing is I don't feel all that different being in a-fib. Still play tennis and basketball.

Beef Supreme
08-14-2019, 01:40 PM
I think Cardio Ablation is the name of a shot I had at a bar in Mexico. So, yes, I've had one.

BIG_DADDY
08-14-2019, 01:44 PM
I've been lucky with the meds...little side affect and virtually no dizziness...but they ain't workin' no more. Funny thing is I don't feel all that different being in a-fib. Still play tennis and basketball.

What's the cost associated with this procedure?

fan4ever
08-14-2019, 02:06 PM
What's the cost associated with this procedure?

Jeez, I don't know. I do know it's finishing off my deductible for the year.

fan4ever
08-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Here's one source (again not speaking of the cryo version, as I didn't research it at all since that's not what she was having done) but what I mainly relied on for my statement of the initial 60% success rate was straight from the mouth of the electrophysiologist that performed the procedure.
Daughter parroted the rest of what you said as well RE: feeling tired and weak for 3-4 days and if I recollect correctly he told her no workouts for 10 days, but then she was back to her normal routine.

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/new-technologies-improve-atrial-fibrillation-ablation

The success rate, as I understand, depends on how long you stay in a-fib on your own. If you're one of those people who go in and out you're 90% likely for it to work on the first time. Me, I've never gone back into normal rhythm on my own, so the chances aren't as good. The 60% your electrophysiologist quoted might apply to me.

fan4ever
08-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Oh, snap...how did my cardio ablation thread get knocked off the first page?

fan4ever
08-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Oh....

fan4ever
08-15-2019, 10:11 PM
Sigh....................................................................

fan4ever
08-15-2019, 10:12 PM
I'll probably have to bump again tomorrow.

CP's a cold, cold place.

scho63
08-15-2019, 10:36 PM
IStill play tennis.

I definitely wouldn't have guessed that! :thumb:

burt
08-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Good luck with your procedure. I just got out of the hospital. Significant artery blockage. So much so, that I am not a candidate for a stint. We are trying ways to reverse the trend so I don't have to have a bypass. Getting old ain't for sissies.

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 08:52 AM
I definitely wouldn't have guessed that! :thumb:

This big man can still move; even hoop it up every so often with my 6'5" son, who'm you've met. I'm hoping to do even better now back in normal rhythm.

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Good luck with your procedure. I just got out of the hospital. Significant artery blockage. So much so, that I am not a candidate for a stint. We are trying ways to reverse the trend so I don't have to have a bypass. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Thanks, it went very well, but you're right, not for sissies.

I know a couple of people who've just had bypass surgery...although they have to crack your chest open, they have you back to normal lifestyle really quickly...but it is an uncomfortable recovery but the success rate is high. IMO you and I are lucky. A lot of people are introduced to conditions like ours with a stroke, heart attack, or worse. There's an old saying that goes "Good advice is often wasted on a man, but seldomly a good scare".

Hope you do well.

burt
08-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Thanks, it went very well, but you're right, not for sissies.

I know a couple of people who've just had bypass surgery...although they have to crack your chest open, they have you back to normal lifestyle really quickly...but it is an uncomfortable recovery but the success rate is high. IMO you and I are lucky. A lot of people are introduced to conditions like ours with a stroke, heart attack, or worse. There's an old saying that goes "Good advice is often wasted on a man, but seldomly a good scare".

Hope you do well.

Still bit scared...and, yes I feel very lucky!

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Still bit scared...and, yes I feel very lucky!

Good luck. A lot of times the worrying is the hardest part.

burt
08-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Good luck. A lot of times the worrying is the hardest part.

For me, giving up smoking and drinking are the hardest parts!!!

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I got ya. I had to cut down on drinking. I wouldn't drink during the week but binge on the weekend but that wasn't good so it's much more in moderation now. I've replaced smoking with vaping for the most part (NON-nicotine flavors only) and it's been a good substitute. I'll bum a smoke every once in a while, but I figure a little treat every so often can't hurt too much. With the amount of people who smoke anymore, it's a rarity to get the opportunity.

burt
08-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I got ya. I had to cut down on drinking. I wouldn't drink during the week but binge on the weekend but that wasn't good so it's much more in moderation now. I've replaced smoking with vaping for the most part (NON-nicotine flavors only) and it's been a good substitute. I'll bum a smoke every once in a while, but I figure a little treat every so often can't hurt too much. With the amount of people who smoke anymore, it's a rarity to get the opportunity.

Pun intended...we are a dying breed.

scho63
08-16-2019, 11:40 AM
This big man can still move; even hoop it up every so often with my 6'5" son, who'm you've met. I'm hoping to do even better now back in normal rhythm.

I can see the hoops and maybe a former football player but I really don't want to see you or your son in those tiny white tennis shorts and top like Jimmy Connors or Bjorn Borg. :eek:

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 11:42 AM
I can see the hoops and maybe a former football player but I really don't want to see you or your son in those tiny white tennis shorts and top like Jimmy Connors or Bjorn Borg. :eek:

Maybe if you caught a tennis match in the past 40 years you'd realize the styles are a tad different...and I pretty much where what I wear when I play Basketball...but I know you're being funny.

scho63
08-16-2019, 11:43 AM
On a side note, just make sure the doctor doesn't tell you he has to enter you from the rear for a better angle to your heart....... :shake:

http://www.vinyl-handschoenenspecialist.be/115-232-thickbox/stretch-vinyl-wit-1000-st.jpg

scho63
08-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Maybe if you caught a tennis match in the past 40 years you'd realize the styles are a tad different...and I pretty much where what I wear when I play Basketball...but I know you're being funny.

Yeah but you're old school, real old school! :skip:

http://prints.colorsport.co.uk/p/210/jimmy-connors-bjorn-borg-1979-wimbledon-7396089.jpg.webp

https://www.sportphotogallery.com/content/images/cmsfiles/product/26140/26467-main.jpg

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 11:48 AM
And the last time you did anything athletic?...besides surf the net for escorts?

By the way, did we ever get confirmation on who you picked???

scho63
08-16-2019, 12:25 PM
And the last time you did anything athletic?...besides surf the net for escorts?

By the way, did we ever get confirmation on who you picked???

I play basketball, golf, football, softball and go to the gym to do elliptical and lift.

I will share with you next time e meet.......:D

fan4ever
08-16-2019, 12:30 PM
I play basketball, golf, football, softball and go to the gym to do elliptical and lift.

I will share with you next time e meet.......:D

Oh I think a little basketball is in order...I'll even have the doctor put me back in a-fib so it's not totally embarrassing for you.