PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs defense 2019

O.city
08-27-2019, 12:40 PM
We've talked about this in a bunch of different threads ad nauseum so why not have it out again here.

We now have 3 preseason games of the defense and with that....I don't think we really have much idea yet.

But there have been some signs. Thornhill had a rough game 3, but that's to be expected. Frank Clark looks like he legit could be a defensive POY kind of player and Okafor has looked really good.

I think the "their defense won't be any better" narrative is tired. It won't be a top 5 one, I doubt, but man, if things break right why couldn't it be a top 15 type d with a high side being better?

What do they need to have happen to be a top 15 defense in everyone's opinion?

58-4ever
08-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Banned if you can't spell the fucking name. Jesus Christ this place has gotten SOFT

O.city
08-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Shit.

Mod's, help please?

TimBone
08-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Shit.

Mod's, help please?Fixed

O.city
08-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Thanks Tim.

loochy
08-27-2019, 12:45 PM
Of course the D will be better. But will it be better enough? The run D is obviously improved. The pass D looks same-ish.

Dunerdr
08-27-2019, 12:47 PM
its really gonna come down to the secondary working together. individually they arent the most talented but working as a team and not blowing coverages could make a group of 4s and 5s look like 7s and 8s.

O.city
Of course the D will be better. But will it be better enough? The run D is obviously improved.

I think it's gonna be vastly improved.

It looks like it's atleast capable at every spot. That's a pretty substantial upgrade from last year.

Sorce
Vanilla or something... that's the correct response right?

chinaski
08-27-2019, 12:48 PM
3 Possible scenarios...

1. They will suck
2. They will be average
3. They will be really good

Glad I could help.

loochy
08-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Vanilla or something... that's the correct response right?

Pretty much. Don't bother to take anything from the preseason because vanilla O or vanilla D

staylor26
08-27-2019, 12:52 PM
I think they will at least be top 20 with a good shot at top 15

Hoover
08-27-2019, 12:55 PM
News flash - it's still the NFL and teams will throw the ball on us at will.

Shootouts don't scare me with Mahomes, but team that can control the clock and keep Pat off the field do. I think what we need to see if can we get turnovers? I think we are much better against the run, but can we force turnovers. If we can, look out.

KC_Lee
08-27-2019, 12:56 PM
I think they will at least be top 20 with a good shot at top 15

And with that KC is the SB favorite. We don't need the 85 Bears, we need timely 3rd down stops.

The Franchise
08-27-2019, 12:58 PM
I think it’s going to be rough early on but as the players get more comfortable....it will get better. My guess is top 20 by the end of the season.

New World Order
08-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Good run d will force a lot of third downs. Our pass d just needs to make a play every once in a while.

Top 20 is realistic, which would have been enough last year.

KChiefs1
08-27-2019, 12:59 PM
3rd down has still been a problem.

Dunerdr
08-27-2019, 01:02 PM
Im very much looking forward too the dline being a strength for a change. i cant wait to see those guys maul people.

Hydrae
08-27-2019, 01:05 PM
I think it’s going to be rough early on but as the players get more comfortable....it will get better. My guess is top 20 by the end of the season.

I liked what I saw in game 3 in general. They should get better as the year goes on and should be quite respectable at least by playoff time. Just pray we don't lose much if anything on the back end. Losing Honey Badger would probably be the worst that could happen and would put us back where we were last year.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Shootouts don't scare me with Mahomes, but team that can control the clock and keep Pat off the field do. I think what we need to see if can we get turnovers? I think we are much better against the run, but can we force turnovers. If we can, look out.

Heard this on a podcast the other day, don't remember who it was.

But basically in today's NFL, you won't or aren't likely to be able to build a defense like the old Ravens.

The goal is to build one that is dynamic to get turnovers and a few stops per game.

Warpaint69
08-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Gotta stop the run and force teams into long distance on 3rd downs.

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Top 15 this year? Trade for a corner.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:12 PM

What would you trade? What corner?

AdolfOliverBush
08-27-2019, 01:13 PM

Jalen Ramsey for a 2021 7th round pick.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Yeah, lets do it.

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Toss in a 2029 6th rounder while you're at it. Try to refuse that, Suxsonville!

Would offer the Lions a 4th for Darius Slay once it's apparent they're going to be in the toilet again, or you could maybe get Norman for free soon.

Kiimo
08-27-2019, 01:21 PM

This is like when my dad used to say go out and get a job after I finished college.

I'd ask how?

He'd say go out and pound the pavement!

Whatever the hell that means.

RunKC
08-27-2019, 01:23 PM
Run defense was the Achilles heal of this team last year. The Ravens, Seahawks, and Patriots 2X beat us (Mahomes Magic bailed us out of the L vs Baltimore, but they did have us beaten) by running the ball well, controlling the clock and putting our offense out of rhythm.

If we can stop the run, we’ll put teams in 3rd and long more often. We have not seen the blitzes and stunts/twists being used yet which will play a vital factor here for sure.

Spags zone coverage scheme will help corners so much more than man coverage from Sutton.

I expect a top 20 defense and I expect sacks to pile up again.

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:25 PM
This is like when my dad used to say go out and get a job after I finished college.

I'd ask how?

He'd say go out and pound the pavement!

Whatever the hell that means.
Well......did you fuck that pavement or what?

Buckweath
08-27-2019, 01:26 PM
IMO, having an elite offense like the Chiefs have makes the other team be more agressive and thus more succesful in general. In other words, having an elite offense has a slightly negative impact on the defense.

This being said, right now I feel like this is a top 20 and very possibly top 15 D.

If Veach added a good CB, I'd be ready to call this a top 15 and potential top 10 D.

That CB group right now is not good enough.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Toss in a 2029 6th rounder while you're at it. Try to refuse that, Suxsonville!

Would offer the Lions a 4th for Darius Slay once it's apparent they're going to be in the toilet again, or you could maybe get Norman for free soon.

I really like Slay, that's interesting but I dunno that the Lions think they wills suck.

I would really like to get a top end CB.

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:27 PM
I really like Slay, that's interesting but I dunno that the Lions think they wills suck.

I would really like to get a top end CB.
The Lions are going to fucking suck. Bevell is a black hole of suck on Offense.

Kiimo
08-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Well......did you **** that pavement or what?

"son, nobody is going to come to YOUR door and offer you a job."

Welp that's exactly what happened, welcome to the magic of the internet pops.

I think he had it in his head that I had to stand around the center of town like I was in 1955 Hill Valley bothering passersby until one of them let me sweep the floors of the malt shop.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:28 PM
The Lions are going to ****ing suck. Bevell is a black hole of suck on Offense.

I think so to.

So you thinking it'll have to be around the deadline for Slay?

Kiimo
08-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Hockenson is going to make them look way better than they are. They have good running backs too.

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:35 PM
"son, nobody is going to come to YOUR door and offer you a job."

Welp that's exactly what happened, welcome to the magic of the internet pops.

I think he had it in his head that I had to stand around the center of town like I was in 1955 Hill Valley bothering passersby until one of them let me sweep the floors of the malt shop.
My dad is still this way.

The Lions do have some decent backs and Hock, but the receivers and OL are pretty meh along with the play caller. The biggest issue for them is playing in the NFC North, and I'm not sure how much Stafford is going to be mentally ready for this season.

I think so to.

So you thinking it'll have to be around the deadline for Slay?
Probably. Only a few teams will be clearly tanking and they won't be one of them out of the gate.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:36 PM
My dad is still this way.

The Lions do have some decent backs and Hock, but the receivers and OL are pretty meh along with the play caller. The biggest issue for them is playing in the NFC North.

Shouldn't their D be pretty solid?

staylor26
08-27-2019, 01:36 PM
How are Golladay and Jones meh?

That’s a pretty good duo.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 01:37 PM

They have a damn good DL on paper, but other than Slay, the rest of the defense isn’t too good.

O.city
08-27-2019, 01:39 PM
They have a damn good DL on paper, but other than Slay, the rest of the defense isn’t too good.

I was thinking their DL was legit.

I had kinda forgot about Slay, he's interesting.

I'm guessing at this point though, it's wait til the deadline for a legit guy or grab someone who gets cut and hope.

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:39 PM
How are Golladay and Jones meh?

That’s a pretty good duo.
Marvin Jones was pretty damn meh in 2018.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Marvin Jones was injured in 2018.

Fixed.

He had 508 yards and 5 TD’s in 9 games. He was on pace for 900 yards and 8 TD’s. He’s a good #2 WR when healthy.

RunKC
08-27-2019, 01:51 PM

Jarrad Davis is damn good

BryanBusby
08-27-2019, 01:51 PM
Sure. If.

You're also banking on the receivers being used properly.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Jarrad Davis is damn good

I was going to mention him, but he’s a young guy I haven’t watched or heard much about since he got drafted. I know he had a rough rookie year, but I wasn’t aware that he has since gotten much better if that’s the case.

O.city
08-27-2019, 02:06 PM
There's gotta be a good corner get cut somewhere.

Blick
08-27-2019, 02:11 PM
The run D should be much improved and that should set everything else up to be better.

With the way the rules are now, I think having a good pass D is going to be extremely difficult. It doesn't matter if you have Deion Sanders and Ed Reed in their prime out there when refs are throwing flags on your 4th DB or a LB for briefly holding on the other side of the field, away from the ball to extend drives.

I like what we've done this off season. We got bigger and more physical up front. I think that's what you need to do now to win on defense. Build a beast against the run, because there aren't any rules to hold you back, and then force turnovers. Teams are going to get passing yards. That's just the way it is now.

BossChief
08-27-2019, 02:32 PM
We haven’t even seen the defense with HB on the field and it’s a difficult defense to learn right away.

I see us being the 22nd best defense for the first 8 games and then top 15 the second half of the year. Maybe top ten.

ModSocks
08-27-2019, 02:36 PM
and it’s a difficult defense to learn right away.

It's actually one of the easiest, most simplistic defenses to learn. Hence the reason players keep talking about "thinking less". The 43 is also the easiest D for opposing QB's to read. The beauty is in fact in its simplicity.

Megatron96
08-27-2019, 02:36 PM
The run D looks better, but of course, this is preseason, and there may be some bias involved as well. But right now, IMO, they look like they could end up being a top 10 or 12 run D.

The pass D looks pretty confused. But Spags said that the pass D would be a work in progress. And I think I've seen flashes of good play, both as a result of scheme and by individual players. Again, it's preseason, so there's some fudge factor, but I really think I've seen some positive performances.

I'm crossing my fingers that they can and will develop into Spag's schemes and maybe end up in the top 17 or top 20 as a pass D. I could be wrong, I think we have the athletes to make that happen this year.

Direckshun
08-27-2019, 02:42 PM
I think we're going to give up more passing yardage than almost every other team.

You guys, I'm stoked about the DLine too, but we have one -- one -- LB who can cover effectively, and perhaps the worst CB depth in football. Our top end talent at CB is atrocious, and our depth is nonexistent.

I'll change my tune if Veach trades for a dude, but the optimists in this thread are going to get a cold hard dose of reality when Aaron Rodgers comes in Week 8 and throws for 450 yards.

I actually don't fear Derek Carr or Deshaun Watson but we will be at the mercy of Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins.

It's going to be infuriating, folks, unless Veach makes a trade (or two). Steel yourselves now, and be thankful we have the league's best QB, who happens to be 23 years old, to outgun any opposing offenses.

BossChief
08-27-2019, 02:46 PM
It's actually one of the easiest, most simplistic defenses to learn. Hence the reason players keep talking about "thinking less". The 43 is also the easiest D for opposing QB's to read. The beauty is in fact in its simplicity.

Maybe he’s simplifying it in KC, but everywhere he’s been his players have said his system is difficult to learn.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-27-2019, 02:51 PM
There's gotta be a good corner get cut somewhere.

Good corners get traded not cut. Too much demand.

R Clark
08-27-2019, 03:07 PM
So what’s the deal with honey badger ? I haven’t seen him on the field ,or I just ain’t looking hard enough?

Shields68
08-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Run defense was the Achilles heal of this team last year. The Ravens, Seahawks, and Patriots 2X beat us (Mahomes Magic bailed us out of the L vs Baltimore, but they did have us beaten) by running the ball well, controlling the clock and putting our offense out of rhythm.

If we can stop the run, we’ll put teams in 3rd and long more often. We have not seen the blitzes and stunts/twists being used yet which will play a vital factor here for sure.

Spags zone coverage scheme will help corners so much more than man coverage from Sutton.

I expect a top 20 defense and I expect sacks to pile up again.

Yeah, stopping the run in with a 7 man box will go along way to fix the problem. Last year we struggled even when we had 8 in the box.

Direckshun
08-27-2019, 03:31 PM
So what’s the deal with honey badger ? I haven’t seen him on the field ,or I just ain’t looking hard enough?

Team rested him all preseason. Gave him a few snaps and that was it.

Blick
08-27-2019, 03:38 PM
I think we're going to give up more passing yardage than almost every other team.

You guys, I'm stoked about the DLine too, but we have one -- one -- LB who can cover effectively, and perhaps the worst CB depth in football. Our top end talent at CB is atrocious, and our depth is nonexistent.

I'll change my tune if Veach trades for a dude, but the optimists in this thread are going to get a cold hard dose of reality when Aaron Rodgers comes in Week 8 and throws for 450 yards.

I actually don't fear Derek Carr or Deshaun Watson but we will be at the mercy of Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins.

It's going to be infuriating, folks, unless Veach makes a trade (or two). Steel yourselves now, and be thankful we have the league's best QB, who happens to be 23 years old, to outgun any opposing offenses.

I agree, but I'm not worried about it. We'll probably give up the most 4th quarter passing yards in the league with teams trying to come back.

I think the corners are going to be better than people think. The safety play is going to be WAY better, and that's going to help the corners and the pass defense as a whole. Honey Badger and Thornhill can both play like corners, so that's going to help a lot.

I agree about the LB's. I think they're going to get schemed to death. Again I'm hoping the safety play is able to hide some of those deficiencies.

I don't think Rodgers gets 450, but 350 is likely. That's about what Brady had in the AFCCG. But if we stop the run in that game, we win.

Like I was saying in my post, we're going to give up passing yards and I can handle that. That's the way it is now. If we lose to Brady or Rodgers playing their best, so be it. That shit happens.

What we can't allow is Rex fucking Burkhead running untouched up our ass for TD'S. That should not happen. If we can stop the run, we're going to be fine.

loochy
08-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Team rested him all preseason. Gave him a few snaps and that was it.

He did play a little bit in the first game. Remember the fumble recovery (that I think was ruled an incomplete pass)?

Megatron96
08-27-2019, 03:44 PM
I agree, but I'm not worried about it. We'll probably give up the most 4th quarter passing yards in the league with teams trying to come back.

I think the corners are going to be better than people think. The safety play is going to be WAY better, and that's going to help the corners and the pass defense as a whole. Honey Badger and Thornhill can both play like corners, so that's going to help a lot.

I agree about the LB's. I think they're going to get schemed to death. Again I'm hoping the safety play is able to hide some of those deficiencies.

I don't think Rodgers gets 450, but 350 is likely. That's about what Brady had in the AFCCG. But if we stop the run in that game, we win.

Like I was saying in my post, we're going to give up passing yards and I can handle that. That's the way it is now. If we lose to Brady or Rodgers playing their best, so be it. That shit happens.

What we can't allow is Rex ****ing Burkhead running untouched up our ass for TD'S. That should not happen. If we can stop the run, we're going to be fine.

^^^^
This. I mean, being realistic, we are in Year Zero of the new Chiefs defense, and it will take time for the unit to become what it will eventually become.

But if our D can stop most of the JAG RBs in the league, and at least slow down some of the top tier backs, at least for this year, we'll be fine. But we have to be able to stop the average RB from having 100+ yd days against us, wearing our defense down and showing all of our cards every week.

Bump
08-27-2019, 03:53 PM
You can't expect to bring in a bunch of different guys and have them all gel together immediately.

This could very well be like that one year the Giants won the Superbowl with Spags, not great statistically in the regular season but by the time the playoffs come around they play really well and Mahomes and this offense doesn't really need a top 10 D to win it all, just not the worst shittiest defense you've seen and it will be all good.

JakeF
08-27-2019, 04:05 PM
I think our Dline will be significantly better. I think our linebackers and Secondary are still going to suck. Opposing teams will try to take advantaging of our crappy defense to win the TOP and keep Mahomes off the field. On defense, they will cover deep and force the Chiefs to win by running the football. Long drives with no mistakes.

4 DLs / 1 LB / 6 DBs = force the Chiefs to win by running the ball and tons of short passes with no mistakes.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 04:10 PM
I think our Dline will be significantly better. I think our linebackers and Secondary are still going to suck. Opposing teams will try to take advantaging of our crappy defense to win the TOP and keep Mahomes off the field. On defense, they will cover deep and force the Chiefs to win by running the football. Long drives with no mistakes.

4 DLs / 1 LB / 6 DBs = force the Chiefs to win by running the ball and tons of short passes with no mistakes.

Lol our secondary didn’t get any better with Mathieu and Thornhill huh?

Easy 6
08-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Look man, we were what... 31st overall in 2018?

It was sickening, Greg Robinson level bad yet we were STILL just one dumbass Dee Ford offsides from representing the AFC

Between the new high level coaching and personnel turnover, just go ahead and mark us down for 15-18 overall by the end of regular season... and that will be MORE than enough to bring the Lombardi back to KC

Easy 6
08-27-2019, 04:45 PM

I bet if someone could anonymously poll Lions defenders, they’d come back with a vote of NO confidence in Matt Patricia... he was totally carried by Belichick and the system itself in NE

JakeF
08-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Lol our secondary didn’t get any better with Mathieu and Thornhill huh?
Thornhill hasn't looked good yet. I liked the pick though so hopefully he will show significant improvement at some point in the season. We have a few young players with potential. It depends on when they get used to the speed of the NFL game.

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 05:14 PM
It likely won't be good enough

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Thornhill is going to get abused.

Brady in January is a lot different than Pat dicking around in practice.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2019, 05:17 PM
Never has a poster acted like he knew so much, but had as terrible takes as Direction...jfc

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 05:22 PM
It likely won't be good enough

You're such a bitch

RunKC
We’ll be better simply from a scheme POV.

I can’t believe Sutton lined us up in the nickel with Sorenson at LB.

Ford was god awful vs the run and Sorenson isn’t a LB. No wonder we got destroyed.

JakeF

Thornhill is still really young and struggling, but has lots of talent. By midseason, i bet he is a solid contributor to the defense.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Brady is fucking done would be the narrative if not for Dee's pinky. Three critical picks. Total bullshit we get flagged without a warning BTW...

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 05:26 PM
The refs don't warn you LMAO

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:27 PM
Thornhill is still really young and struggling, but has lots of talent. By midseason, i bet he is a solid contributor to the defense.

Lol he’s struggling because he made one or two mistakes?

There’s been a lot more good than bad with Thornhil since he stepped on the field in the offseason.

At their very least he’s a significant upgrade from Parker based on athleticism and tackling alone.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Wrong. Somebody has never played football. Even Reid acknowledged this.

Deberg_1990
08-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Solid, but still not there yet.

We fall to the Browns in the AFC championship game 35-33

Hoover
08-27-2019, 05:29 PM
I think Chiefs fans are going to bitch every time the opposing team completes a pass.

BossChief
08-27-2019, 05:29 PM

They do, actually.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Wrong. Somebody has never played football. Even Reid acknowledged this.

LMAO

If you ask they'll tell you if you're offsides, otherwise no they don't run up and and tell you you're lining up illegally.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:31 PM
LMAO

If you ask they'll tell you if you're offsides, otherwise no they don't run up and and tell you you're lining up illegally.

Wrong.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Wrong.

Yeah, no.

BossChief
08-27-2019, 05:32 PM
Lol he’s struggling because he made one or two mistakes?

There’s been a lot more good than bad with Thornhil since he stepped on the field in the offseason.

At their very least he’s a significant upgrade from Parker based on athleticism and tackling alone.

Thornhill has Parker’s speed (in his prime) but also has a physical element to his game that Parker never did.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:33 PM
Yeah, no.

“Normally, you’re warned and the coach is warned if somebody is doing that before they throw it in a game of that magnitude,” Reid told reporters. “But they did. And he didn’t waste any time in doing it

I played DE, so I already knew this, but Reid confirms it’s at every level.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Thornhill has Parker’s speed (in his prime) but also has a physical element to his game that Parker never did.

I forgot to add ball skills.

JakeF
08-27-2019, 05:35 PM
One of the biggest things Thornhill has over Parker is his willingness to tackle. Parker avoided tackling, he had a bit of pussy in him. Thornhill will stick his nose in there without hesitation and isn't standing around the pile all the time as Parker did.

BossChief
08-27-2019, 05:38 PM
LMAO

They talk to you in between plays about it if you’re getting too close.

The BS part is if you watch the play before the pick/offsides play, Brady calls the ref over (the one that threw the flag) and the ref says “I got you” before he walks away.

To me, that meant Brady could see Ford lining up offsides or close and the ref was watching for it. That’s why Andy was pissed at the ref after the game. He never gave the common courtesy to tell Ford he was getting to close.

Andy even talks about it in the post game presser.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Ok so they might warn players sometimes in big games. Doesn't mean they do it every time.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Ok so they might warn players sometimes in big games. Doesn't mean they do it every time.

I think Reid was just emphasizing the fact that they did it in a big game, it doesn’t meant that they don’t do it unless it’s a big game.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Maybe they don't call it if he's barely offsides, not fucking half a yard like dumbass Ford was.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Maybe they don't call it if he's barely offsides, not fucking half a yard like dumbass Ford was.

Lol who are you kidding? They were calling that either way. Because Chiefs.

Chief Roundup
08-27-2019, 05:52 PM
I don't think there is anyway for this D to be a top 15 defense. We don't have the talent at CB or LB. Our offense scores so fast that the defense spends a lot of time on the field. It is hard for a defense to not be winded by the end of the games.

BlackOp
08-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Lol who are you kidding? They were calling that either way. Because Chiefs.

Because Patriots is more accurate...they have made a living on those types of critical penalties at crucial moments.

How about when Mahomes took a shot to the head and they ignored it...then later gave NE 15 yards for breathing on Brady.

That kind of bias adds up over the course of a game...

scho63
08-27-2019, 05:56 PM
Brief things I've observed in 3 preseason games with limited starters:

1. Tackling is much, much better. That's POS
2. Stopping the run looked a whole lot better. VERY POS
3. Secondary was not good at all and communication sucked in my situations. That's NEG
4. Not many penalties or stupid shit from the front four or secondary. Small POS
5. Little to no pressure. Small NEG as it's preseason and not sure what they will throw at certain QB's
6. Good speed from all D positions. POS

Overall I say we are on an uptrend and probably move from 31-32 ranking to 18-22 or better. Anything worse would be a disappointment.

Did I miss anything big either NEG or POS? :hmmm:

staylor26
I don't think there is anyway for this D to be a top 15 defense. We don't have the talent at CB or LB. Our offense scores so fast that the defense spends a lot of time on the field. It is hard for a defense to not be winded by the end of the games.

This defense has more talent than that Colts defense last year.

ThaVirus
You're such a bitch

Where's the lie?

pugsnotdrugs19
08-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Early part of the schedule appears a bit weaker in terms of opposing offenses, which works in our favor greatly as they’ll be figuring out the best way to use the new scheme.

I’m guessing top 20.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2019, 05:57 PM
I see you guys gave Peed on his lesson on the subject

staylor26
08-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Where's the lie?

Brady in January?

The same Brady that should’ve had 4 picks in the AFCCG and was carried to a SB by his HC, defense, and running game?

He wasn’t the same old Brady in January last year buddy.

BlackOp
08-27-2019, 05:58 PM
The Chiefs defense just needs to be one stop a game better...I think they achieve that.

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Brady in January?

The same Brady that should’ve had 4 picks in the AFCCG and was carried to a SB by his HC, defense, and running game?

He dropped nearly 40 on us. Converted like 46 3rd and longs on the final drive of the game.

I mean, he has to fall off a cliff at some point, but I've been thinking that day was nigh for like five years now. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

In either case, we've got no answer for their offensive scheme. Edelman is still going to be open on every 3rd down. Our pass rush is still going to struggle to lay a hand on Brady.

BlackOp
08-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Brady in January?

He had zero TDs and 1 INT vs. the Rams...and his lowest SB yardage total since 2004.

It was also the first SB that he didn't throw a TD....

BossChief
08-27-2019, 06:04 PM
I forgot to add ball skills.

His speed, physicality and ball skills are why most of us believe he has super high upside.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 06:05 PM
He dropped nearly 40 on us. Converted like 46 3rd and longs on the final drive of the game.

I mean, he has to fall off a cliff at some point, but I've been thinking that day was nigh for like five years now. At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

In either case, we've got no answer for their offensive scheme. Edelman is still going to be open on every 3rd down. Our pass rush is still going to struggle to lay a hand on Brady.

Put some money on it then

staylor26
08-27-2019, 06:05 PM

He had 2 TD’s and 3 INT’s in the playoffs. He wasn’t nearly the same, and he made some terrible throws/decisions that should’ve cost him the game against us.

We have a new defensive staff, a damn good one, and you just want to concede that we have no answer for them?

He’s right, you’re being a bitch.

BlackOp
08-27-2019, 06:06 PM

He didn't convert that 4th quarter pass to Hogan...NY headquarters gifted him that. It blatantly hit the ground...

Chiefs go the SB if that is called correctly...it was 3rd down.

staylor26
08-27-2019, 06:06 PM
His speed, physicality and ball skills are why most of us believe he has super high upside.

Hey you don’t have to tell me, I’ve been high on Thornhill since before the draft.

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Put some money on it then

How much and what's the bet exactly?

He had 2 TD’s and 3 INT’s in the playoffs. He wasn’t nearly the same, and he made some terrible throws/decisions that should’ve cost him the game against us.

We have a new defensive staff, a damn good one, and you just want to concede that we have no answer for them?

He’s right, you’re being a bitch.

Pat is the really answer for them, but he's going to need a lot of help and probably a little luck.

It's just the sad reality of it. Only one team is going to win the Super Bowl and it probably won't be us.

He didn't convert that 4th quarter pass to Hogan...NY headquarters gifted him that. It blatantly hit the ground...

Chiefs go the SB if that is called correctly...it was 3rd down.

You're a whackjob.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2019, 06:25 PM
The pass was incomplete, Virus. No arguing that. Total horseshit...

RINGLEADER
08-27-2019, 06:25 PM
Won’t know til they play the games.

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 06:26 PM
That's the thing about the Pats in particular. They're a fucking machine.

When their run game fails to produce a 1st down with two tries, Brady damn sure does on crucial 3rd downs. When Brady's making mistakes, their running game picks up the slack. It's just fucking annoying but happens like clockwork.

It was on full display in OT. Brady looks like shit for 60 minutes so the defense and running game shoulder the load. When the defense falters to end the game and the running game does jack and shit on their OT drive, Brady converts three or four 3rd and longs to win the game.

I hate those fuckers so much.

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 06:30 PM
The pass was incomplete, Virus. No arguing that. Total horseshit...

I'm not going to argue against the preferential treatment the Pats get from the refs.. but, like, who cares?

They've got a 40 year old QB, a TE held together by duct tape, a fucking Hobbit receiver who has never been that good, and a bunch of no-names on defense outside of a couple guys. Just fucking beat them.

BlackOp
08-27-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm not going to argue against the preferential treatment the Pats get from the refs.. but, like, who cares?

I care...as I invest a lost of time in following the Chiefs.

"Preferential treatment" has been the difference in the Jaguars and Chiefs going to the Superbowl in consecutive years. It's definitely a big deal when it starts costing your franchise a legitimate SB birth..

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 06:39 PM
I care...as I invest a lost of time in following the Chiefs.

"Preferential treatment" has been the difference in the Jaguars and Chiefs going to the Superbowl in consecutive years. It's definitely a big deal when it starts costing your franchise a legitimate SB birth..

Every team bitches about the refs, even Pats fans.

BlackOp
08-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Every team bitches about the refs, even Pats fans.

That's the quintessential cop out response...NE has been getting late, game altering calls that no other team gets. This has been going on for years...it's not just one game. There is a ton of evidence...

I choose to call it out...because it's gotten more ridiculous and overt the older Brady gets.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-27-2019, 06:48 PM
How much and what's the bet exactly?

You said the defense likely wouldn't be good enough. So idk, how about $100 we win the Super Bowl?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2019, 06:50 PM
The defense was dog shit last year and it took bogus calls and a terrible first half by the offense for them to BARELY beat us ..

ThaVirus
08-27-2019, 09:44 PM
You said the defense likely wouldn't be good enough. So idk, how about $100 we win the Super Bowl?

I can't lose that bet.

I'll take it if you really want..

Pasta Little Brioni
08-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Virus is in O City pee pants mode lately...

xztop123
08-27-2019, 10:34 PM
Pros: Edge will be more stout vs the run

More batted and deflected balls

Safety/open field tackling vastly improved.

Better inside vs the run

Cons: way more easy hitch and curl yards (loose zone ca right man last year )

Perimeter pass rush will be slower (Ford as fast as they come)

BossChief
08-27-2019, 10:55 PM
I’m rewatching the Seattle game from last year and it’s amazing how many plays Houston gave terrible effort on. Their first drive of the game for Seattle centered around running it right at 50. Single blocked out of nearly every play. They obviously went into the game with a bullseye on Houston.

Crazy how much the lineup has changed.
Bailey
Houston
Berry
Ford
Nelson

All gone and arguably upgraded at each spot

Rausch
08-27-2019, 11:13 PM
I’m rewatching the Seattle game from last year and it’s amazing how many plays Houston gave terrible effort on. Their first drive of the game for Seattle centered around running it right at 50. Single blocked out of nearly every play. They obviously went into the game with a bullseye on Houston.

Crazy how much the lineup has changed.
Bailey
Houston
Berry
Ford
Nelson

All gone and arguably upgraded at each spot

Not only better but younger as well. Houston is really the only guy we lost that I wish we would have kept. It will suck to finally win one without him...

BossChief
08-27-2019, 11:31 PM
Not only better but younger as well. Houston is really the only guy we lost that I wish we would have kept. It will suck to finally win one without him...

I’d sure be more excited about this defense if the DL was

Clark
Jones
Nnadi
Houston

But hopefully Okafor and Kpassagnon make us forget Houston.

saphojunkie
08-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Okafor looks almost identical to Allen Bailey in that #97. Not quite as big but still a huge ass dude.

Except he is getting production. And frankly, this entire town will forgive a lot of franchise sins if KPass somehow ends up being a good player.

Speaks going out with a season-ending injury might save his career. He basically is going to have one year to start proving himself. If he goes on IR and shows up in OTAs next year 30 lbs overweight, he won't make the team.

saphojunkie
08-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Also, a little more on topic, but I simply don't think we know what this defense will be yet. And it's going to continue to evolve over the whole year. It's interesting how, as fans, we expect massive changes from the offseason when guys aren't playing for four months. But then we expect NO changes during the four months that they are playing 6 days a week.

Who they are day one will not be who they are in the playoffs.

RaidersOftheCellar
08-28-2019, 01:34 AM
IMO, having an elite offense like the Chiefs have makes the other team be more agressive and thus more succesful in general. In other words, having an elite offense has a slightly negative impact on the defense.

This being said, right now I feel like this is a top 20 and very possibly top 15 D.

If Veach added a good CB, I'd be ready to call this a top 15 and potential top 10 D.

That CB group right now is not good enough.

Claiborne just might make it good enough. I think he’s underrated.

RealSNR
08-28-2019, 06:04 AM
I can't lose that bet.

Can't lose that bet?

Vegas says you're a fucking idiot. You can indeed lose that bet.

ThaVirus
08-28-2019, 06:10 AM
Can't lose that bet?

Vegas says you're a fucking idiot. You can indeed lose that bet.

If I “lose”the bet my team wins the super bowl lol

staylor26
08-28-2019, 06:18 AM
If I “lose”the bet my team wins the super bowl lol

I don’t get it though.

We have the DC that had an answer for the best Pats offense ever, but you don’t think he can slow down a significantly worse Pats offense led by a 42 year old Brady enough for our offense to outscore them?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 06:37 AM
Pussy cowards. This is the team every one else fears...not the washed up Pats

Chiefs Moon
08-28-2019, 06:42 AM
Our LB's appear to be strong against the run and weak against the pass. CB's need help.

Hope Veach isn't finished.

JD10367
08-28-2019, 06:57 AM
I don’t get it though.

We have the DC that had an answer for the best Pats offense ever, but you don’t think he can slow down a significantly worse Pats offense led by a 42 year old Brady enough for our offense to outscore them?

It won’t be significantly worse if Josh Gordon can keep clean, DT has something left in the tank, and Harry can stay healthy.

Your team almost made the SB with a crap D. You don’t need a #1 D. You don’t even need a top 15 D. Hell, you don’t even need a top 20 D. A top 25 D ought to do... and you’ll definitely have better than that.

If (big if) those 3 receivers come through, the Patriots will probably have a top 5 offense and a top 10-15 defense. The Chiefs will have the #1 offense and a top 15-20 defense. Unless one team fucks up big time, they can just skip the season and let the Pats and Chiefs play the AFCCG again. And honestly the winner will probably be whoever gets HFA.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 07:00 AM
It won’t be significantly worse if Josh Gordon can keep clean, DT has something left in the tank, and Harry can stay healthy.

Your team almost made the SB with a crap D. You don’t need a #1 D. You don’t even need a top 15 D. Hell, you don’t even need a top 20 D. A top 25 D ought to do... and you’ll definitely have better than that.

If (big if) those 3 receivers come through, the Patriots will probably have a top 5 offense and a top 10-15 defense. The Chiefs will have the #1 offense and a top 15-20 defense. Unless one team fucks up big time, they can just skip the season and let the Pats and Chiefs play the AFCCG again. And honestly the winner will probably be whoever gets HFA.

LMAO

This Pats offense is nowhere near as good as the 2007 Pats offense. Not even remotely close. They weren’t even close with Gordon AND Gronk last year. Brady is too old and prime Randy Moss isn’t walking through that door.

And lol @ Demaryius having something left in the tank.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 07:05 AM
DT is dead. How is he helping NE?

Buckweath
08-28-2019, 07:12 AM

If (big if) those 3 receivers come through, the Patriots will probably have a top 5 offense and a top 10-15 defense. The Chiefs will have the #1 offense and a top 15-20 defense. Unless one team ****s up big time, they can just skip the season and let the Pats and Chiefs play the AFCCG again. And honestly the winner will probably be whoever gets HFA.
I see Pats as a probable top 10 offense, not top 5. Their defense will indeed be good.

They've got one of the worst TE group in the league. And their WR group projects to be good but not elite overall.

Buckweath
08-28-2019, 07:34 AM
I've seen all offseason fans around here and some media analysts say that the defense was #31 overall in the league last year and I've been saying they were #24 because PPG is a better parameter than total yards allowed.

When I look at this defense stats globally last year, there is no way that was the "#31" overall defense in the league. Indeed, I never viewed last year's defense as a clear bottom 5 defense.

Here are some stats as per ESPN (other than total yards and PPG):

- #12 in passer rating against
- #16 in passing yards per attempts
- #31 in passing yards per game
- Most passing attempts against per game
- #15 in completion percentage
- T-9 for interceptions
- #1 in total sacks
- #27 in rush yards per game
- #31 in rush yards per attempts

I gather from all these stats that this defense was one of the very worst in the league for rushing defense but really not that far from average for passing defense and it is clear the historic offense put huge pressure on the defense as shown by the most passing attempts per game.

Anyways, I'm expecting the rushing defense to be much better this year and the passing defense to be slightly better, because of the improvement at safety as the CB group is not really better IMO.

RunKC
08-28-2019, 08:06 AM

Here’s the thing: the Patriots ran the ball down our throats and worked 7-8 minute drives the first half. I don’t see that happening again with how good the run defense has looked.

Secondly, our pass rush was simple and easy to read. We just had 4 guys rushing upfield with the occasional LB blitz. Very few stunts, twists and fake blitzes. That will change.

Third, we are running zone and thank god for that. If you don’t think zone is the best defense against Brady, I invite you to watch the 2nd half of the Chiefs/Pats game in NE in 2017 when we destroyed that fucker with that exact plan.
We do not have the horses to play man across the board.

Finally, you have to figure Pat into this. He was basically a rookie last year and Bill got him in both first halves. I don’t see Pat getting stopped to that affect by the Pats again.

O.city
08-28-2019, 08:08 AM
Playing zone is great if you can do it. It requires a lot of communication and skill though.

If you can't do that or you can't pressure the QB, zones get destroyed.

ThaVirus
08-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Here’s the thing: the Patriots ran the ball down our throats and worked 7-8 minute drives the first half. I don’t see that happening again with how good the run defense has looked.

Secondly, our pass rush was simple and easy to read. We just had 4 guys rushing upfield with the occasional LB blitz. Very few stunts, twists and fake blitzes. That will change.

Third, we are running zone and thank god for that. If you don’t think zone is the best defense against Brady, I invite you to watch the 2nd half of the Chiefs/Pats game in NE in 2017 when we destroyed that fucker with that exact plan.

We do not have the horses to play man across the board.

Finally, you have to figure Pat into this. He was basically a rookie last year and Bill got him in both first halves. I don’t see Pat getting stopped to that affect by the Pats again.

I think the bolstered run defense will help, but the Pats really are a machine, man. They’re going to poke and prod until they find a weakness and they’ll just relentlessly go after it.

Like last AFFCG where they came out and just mercilessly skullfucked us on the ground all game. Or the Divisional Round in 2015 where they came out and had Brady air it out 50 times and still beat our ass.

I don’t get it though.

We lost to them twice last year by the hair on our chinny chin chin. Of course I think we can beat them.

I’m just saying I’ve been a Chiefs fan for so long I fully expect some heinous bullshit to go down to tank our season at the most inopportune time.

I’m always cautiously optimistic though and these last several seasons with Reid have been a hell of a lot of fun, even moreso now that we’ve got Pat. I just want a fucking chip. Too many years now spinning out wheels in the Wild Card and Divisional rounds.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 09:00 AM
Fair enough Virus.

O.city
08-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Pats are without their starting C for the season and have a rookie LT coming off an Achilles tear. That could be a big deal if that doesn't work out for them.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Pats are without their starting C for the season and have a rookie LT coming off an Achilles tear. That could be a big deal if that doesn't work out for them.

The fact that they are interested in Williams makes me question their confidence in Wynn. I definitely don’t think he’s ready for a guy like Clark.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-28-2019, 09:49 AM
I can't lose that bet.

Let's do it

RunKC
08-28-2019, 10:03 AM

They always have issue but they are fine. It’s because Bill and Scarnecchia are the best coaches ever.

It’s just plug and play for most of that roster as frustrating as that is.

smithandrew051
08-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Dylan Moses is missing the season with a knee injury. Most have him as the best ILB in the draft.

I wouldn’t mind grabbing him with our second round pick. Could be similar to Jaylon Smith’s situation.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 10:09 AM
They always have issue but they are fine. It’s because Bill and Scarnecchia are the best coaches ever.

It’s just plug and play for most of that roster as frustrating as that is.

They’re always fine, until they’re not.

Just because they’ve managed it before doesn’t mean they always will. Brady is 42 now. At some point, the OL lacking talent, could really lead to Brady showing his age and falling off a cliff.

smithandrew051
08-28-2019, 10:13 AM

Just because they’ve managed it before doesn’t mean they always will. Brady is 42 now. At some point, the OL lacking talent, could really lead to Brady showing his age and falling off a cliff.

Brady, Rivers, and Roethlisberger have to really fear injuries at this point.

A season ender for any of them is a career ender.

Their diminishing talents can only be masked for so long. Eventually, they’ll look like Manning in his final year. Father Time is undefeated.

RunKC
08-28-2019, 10:36 AM

They let Nate Solder walk and then their 1st rd LT got broken and they traded for Trent Brown, who was terrible in SF with a good offensive coach (Rat Jr).

Scarnecchia made that motherfucker look great last year.

Scarnecchia is fucking amazing. I hate that they have him.

ThaVirus
08-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Let's do it

Ok, I just repped you so we can remember.

For the record, I hope you win!

CasselGotPeedOn
08-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Ok, I just repped you so we can remember.

For the record, I hope you win!

:thumb:

staylor26
08-28-2019, 11:01 AM
They let Nate Solder walk and then their 1st rd LT got broken and they traded for Trent Brown, who was terrible in SF with a good offensive coach (Rat Jr).

Scarnecchia made that motherfucker look great last year.

Scarnecchia is fucking amazing. I hate that they have him.

I understand that, but their OL is still a serious concern right now.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Their OL is a product of a QB that can read any defense and get rid of the ball quickly

staylor26
08-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Their OL is a product of a QB that can read any defense and get rid of the ball quickly

For sure, but at some point it’s going to show.

BlackOp
08-28-2019, 11:09 AM
Brady, Rivers, and Roethlisberger have to really fear injuries at this point.

A season ender for any of them is a career ender.

Their diminishing talents can only be masked for so long. Eventually, they’ll look like Manning in his final year. Father Time is undefeated.

Goodell's biggest fear is a NFL without the old guard at QB....and their brand name marketability. Which explains the rule changes to increase their "shelf-life" into their 40s.

His goal is for the NFL to make $25 billion a year by 2027. Tagliabue says he's "laser focused" on profitability for the owners.....hence the introduction of games in Mexico City.

“Kraft has vigorously defended Goodell’s eye-popping $44 million pay package, he personally called owners and lobbied them to issue statements backing the commissioner, according to a senior league source,” Sherman writes. “So large is Kraft’s sway with Goodell that one veteran NFL executive likes to call him “the assistant commissioner.”

Patriots will always be a "favored" team...even after Brady retires. Kraft is almost solely responsible for Goodell's career....and is essentially his puppet.

"Football fans who have been spewing venom towards Goodell over the last six months should probably direct some of their rancor towards Kraft as well. Goodell may be the face of the NFL, but Sherman’s piece indicates that Kraft is its power broker."

It is an extreme conflict of interest...at least on the competitive side, for a commissioner to have such strong ties to a single owner. His job is to be impartial. Their tag-team has made the other 31 owners a ton of money...so they allow for the favoritism. It nets you 4 out of the past 5 Superbowl appearances...and a media lockout when you get busted in a sex-trafficking sting.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Brief things I've observed in 3 preseason games with limited starters:

1. Tackling is much, much better. That's POS
2. Stopping the run looked a whole lot better. VERY POS
3. Secondary was not good at all and communication sucked in my situations. That's NEG
4. Not many penalties or stupid shit from the front four or secondary. Small POS
5. Little to no pressure. Small NEG as it's preseason and not sure what they will throw at certain QB's
6. Good speed from all D positions. POS

Overall I say we are on an uptrend and probably move from 31-32 ranking to 18-22 or better. Anything worse would be a disappointment.

Did I miss anything big either NEG or POS? :hmmm:

I'm sorry, but you guys are all asleep.

The secondary is worse.

Worse.

Our CB1 is a journeyman. The guy that's supposed to be our best CB has regressed, and in the slot.

The secondary is worse. Right as the league has sculpted a pass-centric league.

All positives and negatives are not equal. The negative you pointed out there is going to balance out absolutely everything else we want to do.

You need to stop the pass. If you cannot stop the pass, your ceiling gets lower.

That said, we have the best offense the NFL has seen since at least the first year of the Peyton Manning Broncos, and we have smart defensive coaching, so we should still smother all the bad teams and outscore all the good teams.

But in December/January, we're playing Brady. Twice. And we do not have the secondary to slow him down, and the Patriots can gum up the works enough to slow us down.

This defense is going to make liars out of all of you. But we have the best QB, and that's probably enough to get us to the AFCCG again, and maybe the Super Bowl.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 11:27 AM
What a loon...wow

O.city
08-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Where I disagree, is that I dont' think they have a #1 CB. They aren't gonna have guys travel with WR's, so it doesn't really matter. They have 3 or 4 guys that are all very similar players there.

Sure, i'd love to have a shut down CB.

After seeing the offseason play out, i'm not sure there was one to be had.

And if you're including safety play with secondary, and you think Juan Thornhill and Mathieu are worse than Ron Parker and Eric Murray, well, we have other issue.

Chris Meck
08-28-2019, 11:31 AM
I think some of you don't watch other teams.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 11:32 AM
They have four solid corners...not sure how anyone could think they are worse off at the position. Nelson wasn't any better

O.city
08-28-2019, 11:35 AM
4 may be stretching it but 3 isn't out of the question.

BlackOp
08-28-2019, 11:37 AM
And if you're including safety play with secondary, and you think Juan Thornhill and Mathieu are worse than Ron Parker and Eric Murray, well, we have other issue.

I was thinking the same thing...Breeland is a definite upgrade over Scandrick /Amerson as well. Berry didn't even play...Parker? The team upgraded just by cutting him.

Chiefs need a top-notch middle LB...but they brought in 3 new ones.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry, but you guys are all asleep.

The secondary is worse.

Worse.

Our CB1 is a journeyman. The guy that's supposed to be our best CB has regressed, and in the slot.

The secondary is worse. Right as the league has sculpted a pass-centric league.

All positives and negatives are not equal. The negative you pointed out there is going to balance out absolutely everything else we want to do.

You need to stop the pass. If you cannot stop the pass, your ceiling gets lower.

That said, we have the best offense the NFL has seen since at least the first year of the Peyton Manning Broncos, and we have smart defensive coaching, so we should still smother all the bad teams and outscore all the good teams.

But in December/January, we're playing Brady. Twice. And we do not have the secondary to slow him down, and the Patriots can gum up the works enough to slow us down.

This defense is going to make liars out of all of you. But we have the best QB, and that's probably enough to get us to the AFCCG again, and maybe the Super Bowl.

What a stupid fucking post from one of the biggest morons on CP. Congrats on the worst take of 2019.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Where I disagree, is that I dont' think they have a #1 CB. They aren't gonna have guys travel with WR's, so it doesn't really matter. They have 3 or 4 guys that are all very similar players there.

Sure, i'd love to have a shut down CB.

After seeing the offseason play out, i'm not sure there was one to be had.

The safeties haven't been in man coverage for almost any of the preseason. I know it's preseason, but rarely does a team radically change what it's secondary does from the preseason to the season.

The guys responsible for covering WRs in this defense seem to exclusively be the CBs.

Ward has been roasted and is going to be garbage. Fuller has been roasted a ton in practice and could very well be garbage. Breeland looks pretty solid, but he's not a shutdown guy and, because the other guys suck, may not get much help this year over the top (which he'll need against the best WRs he'll face). Who the hell knows what to expect from Claiborne. Herb Miller is going to get roasted, though he'll make plays.

I still have faith in Mark Fields -- but this team is going to have to trade for a corner to finish this roster off. Seriously speaking, they may want to trade for two.

O.city
08-28-2019, 11:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing...Breeland is a definite upgrade over Scandrick /Amerson as well. Berry didn't even play...Parker? The team upgraded just by cutting him.

Yeah, a real badass in the middle would go a long way.

Hopefully Hitchens plays well this year, or Lee really takes off.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 11:42 AM

That's not the guy Breeland is replacing.

Breeland is replacing 2018 Fuller, who was pretty good. Honestly this is probably a wash.

2019 regressed Fuller is replacing Nelson, which may be a wash as well.

But Ward is just a disaster at CB3. Claiborne, Herb Miller, these guys are not solutions.

I'm hoping Mark Fields takes off.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 11:44 AM
What a stupid ****ing post from one of the biggest morons on CP. Congrats on the worst take of 2019.

I'll wear it around my neck if I'm wrong. You probably know I'm not typically a pessimist when it comes to this team. And I still think the Chiefs are AFCCG-bound.

You're also welcome to, you know, actually mount a counter-argument.

CasselGotPeedOn
08-28-2019, 11:53 AM
So basically you're saying that Ward is just as bad or even worse than Scandrick? No fucking way.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 11:57 AM
What a damned loon jfc

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 12:05 PM
So basically you're saying that Ward is just as bad or even worse than Scandrick? No ****ing way.

I am in fact saying that.

He’s been roasted all camp and preseason.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Loon

Buckweath
08-28-2019, 12:07 PM
The LBs and CBs are a bit in the same group as in they project to be below-average but not worst of the league.

I can absolutely live with the LB group as they will be playing behind possibly a really strong Dline and frankly there is a chance they could be decent.

The CB group, they're absolutely set at the nickel with Fuller who had a stellar season two years ago and a good season last year (that regression talk is silly BTW). And then a group of Breeland, Ward and Claiborne on the outside could be anything between below-average to borderline worst of the league bad. 2 of those 3 also have injury concerns a bit like Sammy Watkins.

Help is needed but I it might be only at the trade deadline that Veach will trade for a CB. He kinda has to make a decision if he will make a trade now or at the trade deadline as he cannot trade twice for a CB.

I really believe if this team fails to reach the SB it will be because of either the CB group or injuries.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 12:09 PM
I'll wear it around my neck if I'm wrong. You probably know I'm not typically a pessimist when it comes to this team. And I still think the Chiefs are AFCCG-bound.

You're also welcome to, you know, actually mount a counter-argument.

What is there to say.

You think Parker/Murray/Scandrick/Nelson/Fuller is better than Thornhill/Mathieu/Breeland/Ward/Fuller.

That’s fucking beyond retarded.

Kiimo
08-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Apologies if previously posted

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Random but semi-interesting <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> stat:<br><br>They have the highest <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PFF</a> tackling grade in the NFL through three preseason games (89.4). <br><br>The 2nd highest is 76.1</p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1166486949743538177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AdolfOliverBush
08-28-2019, 12:19 PM
The secondary is already better because of the safety situation.

There are two primary reasons the Chiefs didn't go to the Super Bowl last season: Dee Ford and the run defense.

Dee Ford: Sucking shit in San Fran.

Run defense: Already light-years ahead of where they were in the AFCCG.

Ironically, the Dee Ford-negated interception would've been the single biggest play in the history of the franchise, and it would've been accomplished by the secondary.

tyton75
08-28-2019, 12:23 PM
I think we will see the defense get beat by more big plays because we will be taking a lot more risks in the blitz packages to get the turnover or the sack.

And I'm fine with that, because I think they will bring the pressure and make the offense make mistakes that we can take advantage of too.

staylor26
08-28-2019, 12:24 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Random but semi-interesting <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> stat:<br><br>They have the highest <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PFF</a> tackling grade in the NFL through three preseason games (89.4). <br><br>The 2nd highest is 76.1</p>&mdash; Ron Kopp Jr. (@Ron_Kopp) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ron_Kopp/status/1166486949743538177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 27, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It’s the little things that will make a big difference in January. Seems like Spags has them focusing on the fundamentals.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
08-28-2019, 12:24 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> TE Travis Kelce on this year&#39;s offense: &quot;I think we&#39;re going to pass the ball. When you think we&#39;re going to run, we&#39;re going to pass. When you think we&#39;re going to pass, we&#39;re definitely going to pass.&quot; Patrick Mahomes next to him cracked up laughing.</p>&mdash; Matt Derrick (@mattderrick) <a href="https://twitter.com/mattderrick/status/1166766623195377664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 28, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 01:23 PM
The LBs and CBs are a bit in the same group as in they project to be below-average but not worst of the league.

I can absolutely live with the LB group as they will be playing behind possibly a really strong Dline and frankly there is a chance they could be decent.

The CB group, they're absolutely set at the nickel with Fuller who had a stellar season two years ago and a good season last year (that regression talk is silly BTW). And then a group of Breeland, Ward and Claiborne on the outside could be anything between below-average to borderline worst of the league bad. 2 of those 3 also have injury concerns a bit like Sammy Watkins.

Help is needed but I it might be only at the trade deadline that Veach will trade for a CB. He kinda has to make a decision if he will make a trade now or at the trade deadline as he cannot trade twice for a CB.

I really believe if this team fails to reach the SB it will be because of either the CB group or injuries.

This is my exact argument.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 01:25 PM
What is there to say.

You think Parker/Murray/Scandrick/Nelson/Fuller is better than Thornhill/Mathieu/Breeland/Ward/Fuller.

That’s ****ing beyond retarded.

I think the safety position gets a big boost, but they're not the primary guys for tracking WRs.

Our corners are. They're getting roasted, with the exception of Breeland and (occasionally) Herb Miller.

Our linebackers also can't cover worth a damn other than Lee.

It's going to be a rough, rough year in the back seven. You disagree?

Oxford
08-28-2019, 01:26 PM
I think we will see the defense get beat by more big plays because we will be taking a lot more risks in the blitz packages to get the turnover or the sack.

And I'm fine with that, because I think they will bring the pressure and make the offense make mistakes that we can take advantage of too.

The biggest question mark is how the league offenses scheme against our defense, a CB with good coverage fundamentals may play "faster" than a CB with great speed depending on the routes called. I think stopping the run is a premium approach given Nov-Dec football and the weather. One of those brutal-wind games late in the year can stymie a pass-focused offense.

We will learn a lot in the first quarter of the first game............

New World Order
08-28-2019, 01:29 PM
I think the safety position gets a big boost, but they're not the primary guys for tracking WRs.

Our corners are. They're getting roasted, with the exception of Breeland and (occasionally) Herb Miller.

If the run defense looks like it did during preseason, opposing offenses will face a lot of third downs.

With how good the offense is, the defensive secondary needs to make a play every once-in-a-while, and they're perfectly capable of doing so. Breeland has been a solid corner in the past, and Fuller was elite a couple of years ago. I think safety play is really going to help him in the slot this year.

We'll find out in about 11 days.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 01:34 PM
If the run defense looks like it did during preseason, opposing offenses will face a lot of third downs.

I agree.

And I know it's just been the preseason, but third downs haven't been kind to us.

The opening Andy Dalton drive took nearly 7 minutes, and we had all our corners playing.

Kiimo
08-28-2019, 01:35 PM
On third down Spags is going to do a bunch of stunts to get to the QB and I don't think we've seen much of that in preseason.

Direckshun
08-28-2019, 01:45 PM
On third down Spags is going to do a bunch of stunts to get to the QB and I don't think we've seen much of that in preseason.

We actually haven't seen any of it.

But he's run a ton of NASCAR packages, and they've all been pretty damn good.

New World Order
08-28-2019, 01:46 PM
I agree.

And I know it's just been the preseason, but third downs haven't been kind to us.

The opening Andy Dalton drive took nearly 7 minutes, and we had all our corners playing.

Dude it's preseason.

I still remember our starting offense playing the Bears third stringers last season whenb we put up only 10 points in a half.

O.city
08-28-2019, 01:46 PM
The problem is that if you wanna go trade resources for a legit lockdown CB, you're gonna have to pay him too. Which means you're gonna not be able to pay one of Hill or Jones, plus you're giving up a pick that would be nice to have to replace them.

New World Order
08-28-2019, 01:54 PM
The problem is that if you wanna go trade resources for a legit lockdown CB, you're gonna have to pay him too. Which means you're gonna not be able to pay one of Hill or Jones, plus you're giving up a pick that would be nice to have to replace them.

I still think trading for Trae Waynes would bring a lot of stability to the secondary.

Assuming his extension would be reasonable of course.

O.city
08-28-2019, 02:01 PM
I still think trading for Trae Waynes would bring a lot of stability to the secondary.

Assuming his extension would be reasonable of course.

I don't think he's really that good though.

bricks
08-28-2019, 02:02 PM
We can talk about stunts on D which is great. How about stopping those slant patterns! Do we have an answer for those yet?

BossChief
08-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Not a single guy in the secondary will be in the same place as last year.

3/5 starters are new to the team. 3-4 guys in our secondary were UDFA and most due to playing at small schools in college. There will be numerous communication issues early on. The coaches will have a lot on their plate week in and week out. Especially in the first half of the year.

Now for the good news.

1) the first half schedule will face opposing passing games that we should be able to match up on well and win battles.

2) They all have the skills to play at this level. The experience and skill refinement isn’t there quite yet, but we will see these kids develop in front of our eyes on the biggest stages.

We will have moments we want to kill them and think they don’t belong in the NFL, but growth WILL happen and they will make us proud as they learn techniques and strategies that right now are foreign to them.

By week 8-11 we will start to see them make strides as the communication and technique errors go away and they build cohesiveness and confidence.

Going into the playoffs, I think they will be pretty good.

O.city
08-28-2019, 02:05 PM
You're gonna have to roll with what you've got at CB. They need to invest some high round picks into it anyway.

BossChief
08-28-2019, 02:06 PM

You mean Daly.

BossChief
08-28-2019, 02:10 PM
You're gonna have to roll with what you've got at CB. They need to invest some high round picks into it anyway.

Signing Claiborne was a sign that we aren’t going to trade for a corner, imo.

A few months ago Veach said he would revisit trade talks with teams during camp to see if the price went down (paraphrasing) and then signed a get during camp.

To me, they means calls were made and the prices were still too high.

So he went with a low risk high reward vet CB.

Naptown Chief
08-28-2019, 02:19 PM

ROFL

New World Order
08-28-2019, 02:19 PM
I don't think he's really that good though.

If we're making a trade he's probably the most cost-effective option right now.

SAUTO
08-28-2019, 02:22 PM
I agree.

Didn't we get fucked out of a fumble recovery on that drive?

FloridaMan88
08-28-2019, 02:26 PM
All I want from the Chiefs defense is to get off the field.

If they give up a big play/quick score? Fine, Mahomes/offense can win a shootout against any team in the NFL.

The 10+ play drives that keep Mahomes on the sideline are the worst.

keg in kc
08-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Barring injury, the massive improvement at the safety position should have an enormous impact on the corner position, too, although not for a reason that's necessarily obvious on the surface.

We have two new players right now who are far and away better than anyone playing at safety last year in Mathieu and Thornhill, and Thornhill is only going to get better as the year goes on. I think we're going to see a ton of 3 safety sets, and the presence of those two allows Sorenson to play to his strengths, namely in the box, and not on the back end, which itself will help the DB unit as a whole. Beyond that, Matthieu in particular, but also Thornhill, both have the capability to step in and cover on the line, in place of a corner, giving all kinds of possibilities in terms of how we can set up our nickel and dime coverages. There's a real possibility that, short of playing a lot of quarters, we may not even see the 4th corner on the depth chart all that often. So once Claiborne comes off his suspension, we're probably talking about playing primarily him, Breeland and Fuller. Which by itself is an improvement over last year.

Improvements at linebacker should help with overall coverage as well. Damien Wilson and Lee are both big upgrades, and this system should be a better fit for Hitchens. Any improvement from him, and any improvement from Ragland over last year, and we're talking not about a weakness, but a potential strength, in no small way bolstered by the real strength of the defense, the line... As far as Attaochu or O'Daniel or anybody else at this point, I just can't tell.

Overall, the defense as a whole may not feature an overnight turn-around. They have a long way to go, and they need to overhaul so much, not the least of which is years of reading-and-reacting and the soft-ish tendencies that come with it. But if they really are as improved against the run as they should be when you look at the personnel, scheme and philosophical changes, paired with what we've seen so far in the preseason, then we've already taken away the biggest threat to the team, that being the opponent's ability to shorten games and keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands. While we haven't seen much of it yet, similar changes against the pass, with more aggressive line play leading what should be improved coverages, than it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that the unit takes a quantum leap forward over the course of the season.

People are pessimistic, and I totally get that. We've seen soft, vulnerable defenses here for the last two decades, and Spagnuolo hasn't always been the most successful, so it's not that surprising that people need to see more before they let any kind of hope seep in...

O.city
08-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Barring injury, the massive improvement at the safety position should have an enormous impact on the corner position, too, although not for a reason that's necessarily obvious on the surface.

We have two new players right now who are far and away better than anyone playing at safety last year in Mathieu and Thornhill, and Thornhill is only going to get better as the year goes on. I think we're going to see a ton of 3 safety sets, and the presence of those two allows Sorenson to play to his strengths, namely in the box, and not on the back end, which itself will help the DB unit as a whole. Beyond that, Matthieu in particular, but also Thornhill, both have the capability to step in and cover on the line, in place of a corner, giving all kinds of possibilities in terms of how we can set up our nickel and dime coverages. There's a real possibility that, short of playing a lot of quarters, we may not even see the 4th corner on the depth chart all that often. So once Claiborne comes off his suspension, we're probably talking about playing primarily him, Breeland and Fuller. Which by itself is an improvement over last year.

Improvements at linebacker should help with overall coverage as well. Damien Wilson and Lee are both big upgrades, and this system should be a better fit for Hitchens. Any improvement from him, and any improvement from Ragland over last year, and we're talking not about a weakness, but a potential strength, in no small way bolstered by the real strength of the defense, the line... As far as Attaochu or O'Daniel or anybody else at this point, I just can't tell.

Overall, the defense as a whole may not feature an overnight turn-around. They have a long way to go, and they need to overhaul so much, not the least of which is years of reading-and-reacting and the soft-ish tendencies that come with it. But if they really are as improved against the run as they should be when you look at the personnel, scheme and philosophical changes, paired with what we've seen so far in the preseason, then we've already taken away the biggest threat to the team, that being the opponent's ability to shorten games and keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands. While we haven't seen much of it yet, similar changes against the pass, with more aggressive line play leading what should be improved coverages, than it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that the unit takes a quantum leap forward over the course of the season.

People are pessimistic, and I totally get that. We've seen soft, vulnerable defenses here for the last two decades, and Spagnuolo hasn't always been the most successful, so it's not that surprising that people need to see more before they let any kind of hope seep in...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/8nmvR3jAxnl2o" width="480" height="288" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/cult-download-8nmvR3jAxnl2o">via GIPHY</a></p>

O.city
08-28-2019, 02:38 PM
Darron Lee was a first round pick and was pretty highly rated coming out.

If he could hit his projection at WLB, you've got a potential star there.

I'm excited about him.

New World Order
08-28-2019, 02:38 PM
God this wait has been excruciating.

Naptown Chief
08-28-2019, 08:11 PM
God this wait has been excruciating.

:(

Chris Meck
08-29-2019, 08:05 AM
I'll go out on a limb.

This defense will end the year top ten in rushing defense. As in, ypg against.
This defense will end the year top ten in sacks.
This defense will give up a lot of passing yardage; with a Mahomes led offense, and a stout run defense, other teams will be forced to throw a lot.

This defense will end up in the high teens...let's say 18th. It could go higher if they're opportunistic and get a lot of picks.

I can't emphasize how important it was last year that we could stop neither the run NOR the pass. At the very least, being able to stop one facet of an offense will pay dividends. I also think they'll be better late in the season than early.

BossChief
08-29-2019, 08:16 AM
This is a pretty similarly talented defense as Spag had when he took down the undefeated Pats.

O.city
08-29-2019, 08:31 AM
Lets pump the brakes there boss.

I like our DL, but that DL had some fucking dudes on it.

Direckshun
08-29-2019, 08:39 AM
This is a pretty similarly talented defense as Spag had when he took down the undefeated Pats.

It had a way better back 7, but I've already said my piece on how terrible our back 7 is looking.

Also, that depth chart is missing exactly 1 Hall of Fame passrusher.

Mecca
08-29-2019, 08:43 AM
I think that was the year after the bowl...cause Strahan and Kawika Mitchell were on that team, yes Kawika Mitchell started on a fucking SB defense.

Direckshun
08-29-2019, 08:45 AM
I think that was the year after the bowl...cause Strahan and Kawika Mitchell were on that team, yes Kawika Mitchell started on a ****ing SB defense.

I do think Kawika and Ragland are a wash.

staylor26
08-29-2019, 08:51 AM
It had a way better back 7, but I've already said my piece on how terrible our back 7 is looking.

Also, that depth chart is missing exactly 1 Hall of Fame passrusher.

Why do you continue to include our safeties, which on paper look damn good?

O.city
08-29-2019, 09:05 AM
While I think our safeties will be badass, theres a case you can make that one is very injury prone and the other is a rookie.

staylor26
08-29-2019, 09:12 AM
While I think our safeties will be badass, theres a case you can make that one is very injury prone and the other is a rookie.

To throw them in there under “terrible” is fucking retarded.

Also, not all of our LB’s and CB’s are THAT bad. Saying our entire back 7 is terrible is a ridiculous overreaction.

ThaVirus
08-29-2019, 11:02 AM
I think the big mistake most fans make is just assuming most things will be better going into the next year.

We really won’t know until everything starts to count.

King_Chief_Fan
08-29-2019, 03:20 PM
I think the big mistake most fans make is just assuming most things will be better going into the next year.

We really won’t know until everything starts to count.

yup and I havent seen anything yet to show this team has a d good enough

Direckshun
08-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Why do you continue to include our safeties, which on paper look damn good?

The safeties look really good.

That’s 1 position. The corners, slot corner, and almost all linebackers look lost.

RealSNR
08-29-2019, 08:53 PM

That’s 1 position. The corners, slot corner, and almost all linebackers look lost.

We're fine at starting CB. They're at 3.6 roentgen. Not great, not terrible.

Wilson and Hitchens will be fine at LB. Can't guarantee the others will be good, and that includes Lee. Guy has given up a LOT of catches when out in coverage this preseason. I don't think I've ever seen him exhibit tight coverage once.

smithandrew051
08-29-2019, 09:20 PM

We can only judge the starters off of a really small sample size. How many series have we seen them play together? 4 or 5 maybe?

Hard to take much of anything away from that. Even if every one of those series was a 3 and out, I don’t think you can make much of a judgment when you have this many new players.

If come Week 5 they look terrible, then the judgements will be more deserved.

htismaqe
08-29-2019, 09:44 PM

The safeties are the primary guys for covering ground so the WR's don't have to. It's called zone defense for a reason. You worry too much.

RealSNR
08-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Also, fuck Herb Miller. Mike Maslowski speed as a corner. What could go wrong?

BossChief
08-29-2019, 10:05 PM
The safeties are the primary guys for covering ground so the WR's don't have to. It's called zone defense for a reason. You worry too much.

Sup man. How ya been?

htismaqe
08-29-2019, 10:06 PM
Sup man. How ya been?

Can't wait for the season to start!

BryanBusby
08-29-2019, 11:01 PM
We're fine at starting CB. They're at 3.6 roentgen. Not great, not terrible.

Wilson and Hitchens will be fine at LB. Can't guarantee the others will be good, and that includes Lee. Guy has given up a LOT of catches when out in coverage this preseason. I don't think I've ever seen him exhibit tight coverage once.
I was really hoping to see more from Ward, but still seemed to be one step forward and one step back. Think he'll grow in the role with more time, but I'd rather see someone more consistent as the starter for an overwhelming SB favorite like this squad is.

RealSNR
08-29-2019, 11:03 PM
I was really hoping to see more from Ward, but still seemed to be one step forward and one step back. Think he'll grow in the role with more time, but I'd rather see someone more consistent as the starter for an overwhelming SB favorite like this squad is.

I guess I was thinking Claiborne as the starter and not Ward

Chiefshrink
08-29-2019, 11:11 PM
We can only judge the starters off of a really small sample size. How many series have we seen them play together? 4 or 5 maybe?

Hard to take much of anything away from that. Even if every one of those series was a 3 and out, I don’t think you can make much of a judgment when you have this many new players.

If come Week 5 they look terrible, then the judgements will be more deserved.

Totally agree. The 1's whether offense or defense have hardly seen any real time and this understood as most NFL teams have resorted to this practice in pre-season especially this year. So much for the owners hoping to draw more folks in for pre-season unless of course you have PM2:D

BossChief
08-29-2019, 11:49 PM
I guess I was thinking Claiborne as the starter and not Ward

I’m interested to see if Honey Badger and the LSU connection can get Mo to give us a career year. I’m still holding out hope for a trade for a corner that’s better than the guys we have, though.

keg in kc
08-30-2019, 04:22 AM
My crazy theory from earlier in the thread that we'd see safeties covering a bit more in nickel and dime...happened some last night. I'm telling ya, we're gonna see a lot of 3 safety sets and Honey Badger and Thornhill will spend some time in coverage where you might traditionally see a 3rd or 4th corner. And they'll be good at it. I also think Sorenson and Honey Badger, in particular, will be playing some games around the line, mixing and disguising their coverage and blitz roles. Stuff that we have not shown during the preseason. At all.

They've gone out of their way to find guys who can do a variety of things and there's a reason for that.

Direckshun
08-30-2019, 07:30 AM

So the CBs are not a major, major component of a Spags defense?

htismaqe
08-30-2019, 07:46 AM
So the CBs are not a major, major component of a Spags defense?

Of course they are but their job isn't "tracking WR" it's maintaining zone discipline.

There's basically been zero pass rush all preseason. Of course zone CB's look bad when there's no pass rush.

O.city
08-30-2019, 08:19 AM
I don’t think they’ve been playing that much zone

keg in kc
08-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Of course they are but their job isn't "tracking WR" it's maintaining zone discipline.

There's basically been zero pass rush all preseason. Of course zone CB's look bad when there's no pass rush.There's a zero blitz. And then there's zero blitzing.

We've seen one in the preseason. We might see the other one later on.

smithandrew051
08-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Theory.

We don’t play a great offense in the first 6 weeks. The first decent offense we see is Houston in Week 6. I think Veach rolls with what we have at CB for now. He’ll see how they’re playing and determine if a move needs to be made.

Even if our corners suck, we’ll need more than bad corner play to lose those games. The offense will have to have bad games as well.

If our corners are in danger of costing us and the Cardinals suck (both are possible), Veach makes a move for PP. my guess is that it’s our second round pick, since that will be a high 2.

PP is suspended for 6 games, so we don’t have to worry about him getting hurt before we can pull off the trade (see Earl Thomas last year). He can’t help us until then, so there’s really no rush to make that trade.

RunKC
08-30-2019, 08:57 AM
I think you’re going to see a ton of pressure from this defense in the regular season. Spags has mentioned again and again that “Andy and the QB we have” takes a lot of pressure off of him.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Honey Badger had 5 or 6 sacks. I think they are going to continuously push the envelope on passing downs. Clark and Jones will take up blocks. That will lead to a LB or S blitz forcing the QB to make early decisions.

It’s the complete opposite of last season. Run defense looks significantly better. Tackling looks significantly better.

We aren’t going to sit back and react like Sutton. We are going to be aggressive and try to dictate what the offense does instead of react to it.

Love it

O.city
08-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Yeah, i'm all about that.

But really, to survive in today's NFL you've gotta be really creative with your pressures and get pressure with 4. It looks like they have the horses for that so hopefully it goes swimmingly.

Coochie liquor
08-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Yeah, i'm all about that.

But really, to survive in today's NFL you've gotta be really creative with your pressures and get pressure with 4. It looks like they have the horses for that so hopefully it goes swimmingly.

And coaching, I think having Daly and House are gonna pay big dividends.

dirk digler
08-30-2019, 09:56 AM
I think you’re going to see a ton of pressure from this defense in the regular season. Spags has mentioned again and again that “Andy and the QB we have” takes a lot of pressure off of him.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Honey Badger had 5 or 6 sacks. I think they are going to continuously push the envelope on passing downs. Clark and Jones will take up blocks. That will lead to a LB or S blitz forcing the QB to make early decisions.

It’s the complete opposite of last season. Run defense looks significantly better. Tackling looks significantly better.

We aren’t going to sit back and react like Sutton. We are going to be aggressive and try to dictate what the offense does instead of react to it.

Love it

I agree and if we give up some big plays I am ok with that as long as they stay aggressive.

IMO we didn't show squat in preseason so I am expecting an ultra aggressive D in Game 1.

Buckweath
08-30-2019, 09:59 AM
I'm sure Veach has made calls for CBs but in the end, the best move seems to be to just stay put or trade a (2021) low pick and then wait after the suspension of Patrick Peterson to trade for him.

Any move for a good CB would force Veach to overpay right now and then it doesn't make any sense to trade anything else than a low pick just to possibly still be unsatisfied with the CB group around the trade deadline and then trade again this time a high pick for Peterson.

Warpaint69
08-30-2019, 10:08 AM
I agree and if we give up some big plays I am ok with that as long as they stay aggressive.

IMO we didn't show squat in preseason so I am expecting an ultra aggressive D in Game 1.

A whole hell of a lot better to be aggressive and gamble trying to make a big play defensively either getting a stop or turnover vs watching the slow methodical clock eating drives that end up in a score. The more chances Pat gets to possess the ball the better! Stop the run and turn the defense loose on passing downs.

New World Order
08-30-2019, 10:13 AM

Love it

We're going to see a ton of Honey Badger blitzes.