PDA

View Full Version : Football Which of these attributes must a QB possess to be considered elite?

TLO
09-12-2019, 06:54 PM
There will be a poll, followed by discussion and fellowship in the comments below.

Jewish Rabbi
09-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Big dick

New World Order
09-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Before I see the poll: Anticipation, accuracy and pocket presence.

TribalElder
09-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Mahomes

chinaski
09-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Field Vision, Intelligence and Leadership Skills

ThaVirus
09-12-2019, 06:57 PM
Accuracy, for sure, among other things.

You don't need size, Brees and Russell Wilson prove that. You don't need a big arm, Peyton proved that in his later years. You don't need to be particularly intelligent, Dan Marino proved that.

Megatron96
09-12-2019, 06:59 PM
in no particular order (for now):

Accuracy, situational awareness, leadership, timing, coach-ability, improvisational skills.

TLO
09-12-2019, 07:02 PM
I'm a little buzzed - so the poll options aren't the best. But you get the picture and we can discuss it.

Jewish Rabbi
09-12-2019, 07:06 PM
I'm a little buzzed - so the poll options aren't the best. But you get the picture and we can discuss it.

Can you add the big dick option? Although I do agree with the fact that they should take head from randos.

Ubeja Vontell
09-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Can you add the big dick option? Although I do agree with the fact that they should take head from randos.

How old are you son, 13?

Naptown Chief
09-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Have a big arm, be good in or out of the pocket, head the Kansas City Chiefs (my #1 favorite NFL football team), and be named Patrick Mahomes... Who also has a big dick

RealSNR
09-12-2019, 07:18 PM
How old are you son, 13?

FUCK YOU

Ubeja Vontell
09-12-2019, 07:18 PM
What do all the greats have in common, yep....they make all those around them better. They know how to motivate.

Being able to understand defenses and situations a biggie. Obviously all PRO QB's possess the physical attributes needed, so it goes far beyond just throwing a football.

I do think in todays game mobility is more important than ever, these defenses today just too speedy. Sure a Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers can make it work out of a pocket but how many of those are out there?

Jewish Rabbi
09-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Also could add an option for not frenching your kids

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Hating Tom Brady and his fake-assed Dynasty is a must.

Priest31kc
09-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Field vision, fast post snap processing speed (Able to go through progressions quickly), anticipation, pocket presence & mobility, ability to throw under pressure/getting hit & atleast good accuracy/ball placement.

I dont think any of those traits are teachable either really. You either got it or you dont.

Gotta be able to read defenses pre snap eventually & I do think that's teachable.

A really strong arm & a quick release aren't a necessity but they really do help as we see. Mobility to get out of the pocket and/or run is also helpful but also not a necessity as we've seen with countless pocket QBs.

And obviously durability, intelligence, work ethic, leadership skills & the desire to be great are a must.

WhiteWhale
09-12-2019, 07:43 PM
There's so much variation. Favre wasn't a film guy, but was great. Lots of great QB's are not mobile.

As far as I can tell there's only 3 traits required of a great QB. Three traits that ALL of them have.

1. Accuracy. Pretty self explanatory.

2. Toughness. Guys who panic in the pocket or won't play through pain can't be great.

3. Better than average arm strength. If you can't make all the NFL throws, you can't be great.

It's really the combination of traits that make a QB great. The more positive traits he accumulates, the more successful he'll probably be. Things like immobility can be compensated for with film study. You can't compensate for the 3 things I mentioned. If you don't have them, you can't simply compensate with other skills. You HAVE to have those 3 things.

jjchieffan
09-12-2019, 08:05 PM
How old are you son, 13?

You're new here, so I'll just say it. Middle school mentality is the predominant way of thinking in this place. But,it's the best place to come for Chiefs news and discussion. You need to decide for yourself if it's worth putting up with all of the juvenile bullshit or not. I recommend using the ignore feature liberally and sticking around. Jewish Rabbi should be one of the first to go on ignore. But, I think that you probably already figured that out.

Jewish Rabbi
09-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Can I add that the QB should know the Earth is only 2000 years old?

TLO
09-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Can I add that the QB should know the Earth is only 2000 years old?

LMAO

Giant Octopodes
09-12-2019, 08:40 PM
I'm going to divide these into 4 categories:

1) Absolutely Required
The only 100% required traits are accuracy, intelligence, and understanding when to give up on a play. If you can read a defense, get the ball accurately to the right target, and not take unnecessary sacks / ints, your team can be successful, you can rack up stats, and you can be elite.

2) Not "required" but they'll be there
Frankly we'd respect QBs More if they Didn't have natural athletic ability, or do film study, or have a high work ethic. Someone who shows up and improvises but is very successful? They'd rant and rave about what natural talent that shows and how great he could be if he also put in the work. People like to pretend Brady has no natural athletic ability both to knock him And to build up his legend. But in truth you're not going to be successful in the NFL if you don't have considerable natural athletic ability, and / or if you don't have a good work ethic or study film.

3) Resume Rounders
Great Arm Strength, Scrambling Ability, High Motor, Game Winning Drives, and Playoff Success all help. They're not required per se, and especially not all together, but having one or more of them makes up for deficiencies elsewhere. That being said Marino was elite without considerable playoff success, Brady is elite with zero scrambling ability, and so forth. They help, but they're the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

4) Not at all required
The rest of the traits don't even factor into the conversation. They might help you personally, for example I'd argue it's better to have a willingness to be coached than not, and a proper diet will probably extend your longevity, but no one will consider you elite for possessing those traits, nor disqualify you for not having them.

Just mho.

Baby Lee
09-12-2019, 08:46 PM
At my church, fellowship means pastries.

scho63
09-13-2019, 04:32 AM
You're missing the winning answer by a mile.........STAYING HEALTHY AND INJURY FREE!

Mile High Mania
09-13-2019, 04:44 AM
Poll is worthless... you just know when they are elite and there's no justification to it realliy.

Coogs
09-13-2019, 05:13 AM
Poll is worthless... you just know when they are elite and there's no justification to it realliy.

That's really kind of my thoughts as well. You just know!

KChiefs1
09-13-2019, 06:31 AM

So Flunko is elite?

ChiefBlueCFC
09-13-2019, 09:31 AM
I said great arm strength as part of my answer and as I hit the submit button I realized that while great arm strength is absolutely beneficial, it is not crucial.

But great accuracy, work ethic, coachability, film study and intelligence seem pretty obvious

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Yea know, that list is, well, basically....Pat Mahomes (minus the stranger in the car thing, and not sure about the Gaz thing.) Know what I'm saying... :shrug:

htismaqe
09-13-2019, 10:28 AM
A QB can be elite without elite-level athleticism or arm strength but they cannot be elite without the football IQ and intelligence.

saphojunkie
09-13-2019, 10:34 AM
How old are you son, 13?

I don’t know who you are but you suck at posting. Stop and lurk more.

saphojunkie
09-13-2019, 10:36 AM
A QB can be elite without elite-level athleticism or arm strength but they cannot be elite without the football IQ and intelligence.

Favre.

The only things that make you elite are accuracy and playoff success.

The fact that literally everyone didn’t select playoff success is laughable. Cuz I sure can’t name a bunch of elite QBs sitting at home in January

htismaqe
09-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Favre.

The only things that make you elite are accuracy and playoff success.

The fact that literally everyone didn’t select playoff success is laughable. Cuz I sure can’t name a bunch of elite QBs sitting at home in January

Favre has a very high football IQ. Sometimes he let his bravado get the better of that but he’s not football-dumb.

htismaqe
09-13-2019, 11:29 AM
And by the way, I didn’t vote playoff success because that’s not a quality a player possesses, it’s a proof point that said player possesses certain qualities.

This poll is flawed because it contains both inputs and outputs.

St. Patty's Fire
09-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Arm strength is what separates Mahomes from being great and being legendary. I think he’d still be elite if he had like, merely a very good arm.

I think understanding defenses/playbooks and also your own limitations is more important than raw arm strength. Peyton Manning threw wobblers his whole career but he could dissect a defense like a science experiment.

Now, if you have an arm like Smith or Pennington? You can still be good but you’ll never be elite.

ThaVirus
09-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Favre has a very high football IQ. Sometimes he let his bravado get the better of that but he’s not football-dumb.

Guy didn’t even know what a nickel defense was.

Megatron96
09-13-2019, 01:23 PM
Guy didn’t even know what a nickel defense was.
When he entered the league.

There, fixed that for you.

Megatron96
09-13-2019, 01:24 PM
I don't remember Montana possessing great arm strength.

burt
09-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Field vision, fast post snap processing speed (Able to go through progressions quickly), anticipation, pocket presence & mobility, ability to throw under pressure/getting hit & atleast good accuracy/ball placement.

I dont think any of those traits are teachable either really. You either got it or you dont.

Gotta be able to read defenses pre snap eventually & I do think that's teachable.

A really strong arm & a quick release aren't a necessity but they really do help as we see. Mobility to get out of the pocket and/or run is also helpful but also not a necessity as we've seen with countless pocket QBs.

And obviously durability, intelligence, work ethic, leadership skills & the desire to be great are a must.

^Perfect post^