PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs KSHB, KMCI now official t.v. home of Chiefs

T-post Tom
09-17-2019, 09:42 AM
TV 5 gets the big "You're #1" salute from Arrowhead. :thumb:

KSHB, KMCI reach agreement to become official broadcast television home of the Kansas City Chiefs

KSHB-TV, Kansas City’s 41 Action News Station, and KMCI-TV, 38 The Spot, announced an agreement today with the Kansas City Chiefs to become the team’s official broadcast television partner.

Beginning Sept. 21, 2019, KSHB and KMCI will become the exclusive local broadcast home for “Hy-Vee Chiefs Insider.” The show, produced by the Chiefs award-winning production studio, 65 Toss Power Trap Productions, contains exclusive features and player profiles and previews the upcoming Chiefs game. Beginning in 2020 and running through 2024, the stations also will air Chiefs preseason games, in addition to all regular and postseason Chiefs games that are broadcast on NBC.

“The KSHB/KMCI team is thrilled to be the new ‘Home of the Chiefs’ for the next six years,” said Ed Fernandez, vice president of operations for The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP). “We’re proud to partner with such an iconic brand to provide avid Kansas City Chiefs fans with great content and additional opportunities across all of our broadcast and digital platforms.”

The agreement also provides KSHB/KMCI with additional marketing opportunities with the club and at Arrowhead Stadium.

“This is an exciting time in Kansas City as the club enters its 60th season, and expectations are high throughout Chiefs Kingdom for the 2019 season,” Chiefs President Mark Donovan said. “We are thrilled to begin our new partnership with KSHB and KMCI at this time, and we look forward to next year when they will begin serving as the flagship station of our Chiefs Preseason Television Network.”

2019 CHIEFS WEEKLY SCHEDULE on KSHB/KMCI

“Hy-Vee Chiefs Insider: (airs during the Chiefs season, including playoffs):

Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. on KSHB
Saturdays at 10:30 p.m. on KMCI
Sundays at 10:30 a.m. on KSHB

About KSHB/KMCI
KSHB-TV and KMCI-TV are owned by The E.W. Scripps Company. The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of local and national media brands. With 52 television stations in 36 markets, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs a collection of national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Stitcher; the fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape, Laff and Court TV; and Triton, the global leader in digital audio technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”

https://www.kshb.com/homeofthechiefs

chinaski
09-17-2019, 10:37 AM
The Chiefs have essentially farted in the face of KCTV-5

Halfcan
09-17-2019, 10:40 AM
41 has shitty reception for all that don't have cable.

BlackHelicopters
09-17-2019, 10:40 AM
The Chiefs have put a finger in the butt of KCTV-5.

KC Hawks
09-17-2019, 10:41 AM
I saw Tyreek retweeted this. Fuck KCTV5.

chinaski
09-17-2019, 10:42 AM

I remember watching 41 when I was a kid. That's where all the good cartoons aired.

Rain Man
09-17-2019, 10:47 AM
I don't know how the TV stuff works, but I assumed they were stuck with KCTV5 and (until she's fired) Angie due to NFL agreements with the networks. I notice that the article says that the new stations will broadcast "Chiefs games that are broadcast on NBC", so does that mean that most games will still be on KCTV5 and (until she's fired) Angie's station? Does this really mean that they're just moving all their pre-game stuff there?

Sorry, I'm not local, so I don't know the players and stations other than knowing that KCTV5 is evil and that Angie should be fired.

FloridaMan88
09-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Nice Tyreek retweet...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ANNOUNCEMENT 🗣 KSHB/KMCI reach agreement to become official broadcast television home of the <a href="https://twitter.com/Chiefs?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Chiefs</a> <a href="https://t.co/E7fu8xkWem">https://t.co/E7fu8xkWem</a></p>&mdash; 41 Action News (@41actionnews) <a href="https://twitter.com/41actionnews/status/1173922303840858118?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 17, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ModSocks
09-17-2019, 10:51 AM
These sorts of things don't just happen. It takes months/years of talk behind the scenes and certainly many conversations and negotiations in that time.

Makes you wonder if the KCTV5 hit pieces were BECAUSE they knew they were losing their TV contract.

rabblerouser
09-17-2019, 11:29 AM
I don't know how the TV stuff works, but I assumed they were stuck with KCTV5 and (until she's fired) Angie due to NFL agreements with the networks. I notice that the article says that the new stations will broadcast "Chiefs games that are broadcast on NBC", so does that mean that most games will still be on KCTV5 and (until she's fired) Angie's station? Does this really mean that they're just moving all their pre-game stuff there?

Sorry, I'm not local, so I don't know the players and stations other than knowing that KCTV5 is evil and that Angie should be fired.

AFC games are carried by CBS, nationally.

Locally, KCTV5 carried 65TPT productions, the Chiefs TV network that produces the Preseason games and stuff like "The Franchise" and "the Locker Room" etc. The stuff with Mitch and BJ.

Now, instead of KCTV5 having that programming, it will be on channel 41.

keg in kc
09-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Home of everything chiefs! Except for, you know, the actual games.

Kind of like, 'hey guys, there's this marathon. I won the stretch beforehand!'

Am curious to see how the new TV deal goes in 2022, though. Disney is probably going to come up with something nuts.

Monkey God
09-17-2019, 11:58 AM
This is all about getting the most money for preseason games. The only thing the Chiefs did to KCTV was save them over a million dollars a year on something that loses money for the station. As for the title...remember 810 is the official broadcast partner of the Chiefs yet 101 carries the games.

T-post Tom
09-17-2019, 12:10 PM
This is all about getting the most money for preseason games. The only thing the Chiefs did to KCTV was save them over a million dollars a year on something that loses money for the station. As for the title...remember 810 is the official broadcast partner of the Chiefs yet 101 carries the games.

Is that you, Angie Ricono? :hmmm:

TribalElder
09-17-2019, 12:53 PM
It's awesome to see how these scabs are being taken out 1 by 1

Brooke --> out to chicago
Reek --> extended
kctv5 --> bye felisha, we on kshb now

whats coming for the kcstar

oldman
09-17-2019, 01:11 PM

It's everything except the regular season CBS games. In other words, local content only.

IowaHawkeyeChief
09-17-2019, 01:14 PM
It's awesome to see how these scabs are being taken out 1 by 1

Brooke --> out to chicago
Reek --> extended
kctv5 --> bye felisha, we on kshb now

whats coming for the kcstar

They have been dying on the vine for years... and now are insistent on committing suicide.

lcarus
09-17-2019, 01:15 PM
Good news. Now switch from HyVee back to CHIEFS AND CHOPPER. CHIEFS AND CHOPPER.

Fish
09-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Exactly. It's the only OTA channel I can't easily get with my antenna.

Rain Man
09-17-2019, 01:48 PM
AFC games are carried by CBS, nationally.

Locally, KCTV5 carried 65TPT productions, the Chiefs TV network that produces the Preseason games and stuff like "The Franchise" and "the Locker Room" etc. The stuff with Mitch and BJ.

Now, instead of KCTV5 having that programming, it will be on channel 41.

It's everything except the regular season CBS games. In other words, local content only.

Okay, thanks. That was what I was suspecting after giving it a little thought.

It's a good start, and it sounds like all the Chiefs can really do to rid themselves of the Angie attack pseudojournalism.

Chiefshrink
09-17-2019, 02:03 PM
These sorts of things don't just happen. It takes months/years of talk behind the scenes and certainly many conversations and negotiations in that time.

Makes you wonder if the KCTV5 hit pieces were BECAUSE they knew they were losing their TV contract.

Excellent point !!

alpha_omega
09-17-2019, 02:23 PM
..... on something that loses money for the station. ...........

For real? How much?

Monkey God
09-17-2019, 02:32 PM

A lot of truth here. Everyone knew the KCTV deal was up this year and when the Chiefs starting looking last off season KSHB was the only station that really showed interest in spending the amount of money the Chiefs wanted.

Monkey God
09-17-2019, 02:42 PM
For real? How much?
$100K wouldn't be out of the question. Depends on factors like if any pre season games are picked up for national broadcast, how much additional things the station is required to purchase such a suites, signage etc.
In general sports broadcasting is not a profit center to the broadcaster. You try to use it as a loss leader for the rest of your business plan. Think about it...in the past 20-years Chiefs preseason has been on all four local affiliates at one time or another, and it's not because it's a "hot property".