PDA

View Full Version : Football Dolphin player claims ref told him "Get off Tom" (Brady)

DJJasonp
09-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Calling Black Ops........

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dolphins-linebacker-claims-ref-told-him-to-go-easy-on-tom-brady-stay-off-tom-160646068.html

The NFL has made it no secret it wants to protect quarterbacks in recent seasons. But if one Miami Dolphins player is to be believed, the league may have gone too far when it comes to keeping its stars safe.

Dolphins linebacker Raekwon McMillan says a ref told him to take it easy on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Sunday’s game. McMillan claims the ref went so far as to say “stay off Tom.”

Raekwon McMillan told me when he hit Brady on Sunday - a perfectly legit hit - the referee told him "Stay off Tom." NFL still protecting those QBs amid several early season injuries to marquee ones
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 18, 2019

That’s quite the accusation, which, if true, casts the NFL in a bad light. If the refs are giving stars preferential treatment, that’s a huge problem. Some fans already believe this to be the case, so if refs are actually vocalizing it to players, that’s even more damning.

It’s possible McMillan is exaggerating the point. Perhaps the ref told him to “stay off the quarterback.” That’s not as bad as the ref singling out Brady.

Given the Patriots and Brady’s success, some fans are eager to accept the NFL is going out of its way to help the franchise. While that might make it tempting to believe McMillan, we’re going to need other players to step forward with similar stories before we suggest this is a vast conspiracy.

Dante84
09-19-2019, 10:52 AM
meh, we have Mahomes. I won't be complaining if Patrick gets the same treatment.

Imon Yourside
09-19-2019, 10:54 AM
meh, we have Mahomes. I won't be complaining if Patrick gets the same treatment.

We keep saying this but it doesn't seem to be happening for Pat. Hopefully in the future but i'm not holding my breath.

-King-
09-19-2019, 10:59 AM
We keep saying this but it doesn't seem to be happening for Pat. Hopefully in the future but i'm not holding my breath.

How doesn't it?

wazu
09-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Only white QBs receive this treatment.

DJJasonp
09-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Yeah....jags player trying to yank pat's helmet off.....you would think that might get a "stay off Pat"! (or at least a flag!)

Imon Yourside
09-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Will we ever see a day Pat gets touched in the shoulder pad for a pf and the ref tells the defender to leave Patrick alone?

Imon Yourside
09-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Yeah....jags player trying to yank pat's helmet off.....you would think that might get a "stay off Pat"! (or at least a flag!)

I was just getting to this, but there are numerous examples from last year Pat didn't even get normal treatment.

AdolfOliverBush
09-19-2019, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing McMillan simply misunderstood the official. "Get off Tom" and "Get Tom off" likely sound similar in a loud NFL stadium.

Halfcan
09-19-2019, 11:09 AM
If anyone doesn't think Brady has received special treatment his entire career- they are blind. Their O line blatantly holds every game and rarely get flagged for it.

Manning got the red carpet treatment in Denver and Rivers gets it for some reason as well.

Mahomes has been cheap shotted many times and does not even get a second look by the refs. He is the face of the NFL now- you would think they would at least call a fair game.

Ubeja Vontell
09-19-2019, 11:11 AM
The Pats have been winning for a long time, what they have accomplished has never been seen before (AAFC/NFL Browns close) this didn't happen because of...."get off Tom"...or air in a football. It happened because they have the best head coach in the biz and the best QB. Just look back in NFL history, look at that AAFC/NFL Browns team that ruled back in the 40's/early 50's, they had HOFer coach Paul Brown and QB Otto Graham. Then here came the Packers in the 60's with HOFers Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr, what happened in the 70's, yep, HOFers Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw winning 4 SB's, the 80's, HOFers Bill Walsh and Joe Montana with their 4 SB wins.......what does all that tell us? Now it's HOFers to be Bill Belichick and Tom Brady who are better than all those who preceded them. They don't need any help just like none of those other greats/legends needed help.

All this talk about if not for the refs, scheduling, blah blah is just jealously, those who wish they were as successful as the Pats wimpering around because they aren't.

I hate the Pats, don't like Brady or Belichick, and can't wait until we knock them off hopefully this season, but.........I don;'t play silly ass games about things, the Pats are great which is what we should want so when we do kick that ass what does that make us?

Prison Bitch
09-19-2019, 11:16 AM
This is a good thing. People want to see stars. Not scrubs. They need to protect QBs and frankly all players - Tyreek was unnec roughed up and injured and I don’t want to see that either.

Pollard should’ve been kicked out of the league after he dove at Brady’s knee in 08

RollChiefsRoll
09-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Pollard should’ve been kicked out of the league after he dove at Brady’s knee in 08

Oh, Prison Bitch...

Imon Yourside
09-19-2019, 11:22 AM
This is a good thing. People want to see stars. Not scrubs. They need to protect QBs and frankly all players - Tyreek was unnec roughed up and injured and I don’t want to see that either.

Pollard should’ve been given a lucrative contract extension after he dove at Brady’s knee in 08

FYP

tyecopeland
09-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Are we sure the ref didnt tell the guy 'get Tom off' instead?

Fuck. Just saw adolfoliverbush beat me to that joke by a mile. I guess I should have read more carefully.

displacedinMN
09-19-2019, 04:23 PM
believable

Easy 6
09-19-2019, 04:53 PM
believable

Yep, no one besides pats fans doubt this story

How do you beat someone if you can’t hit them?

Pablo
09-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Tom really, really, really needs a knee adjustment. Depending on the player that blows that sucker out, I think a jersey t-shirt would be in order. Hoping it's somebody cool that puts the old man down for good.

Flying High D
09-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Pollard should’ve been kicked out commissioner of the league after he dove at Brady’s knee in 08

My exact same thought.

Sorry
09-19-2019, 07:30 PM
If anyone doesn't think Brady has received special treatment his entire career- they are blind. Their O line blatantly holds every game and rarely get flagged for it.

Manning got the red carpet treatment in Denver and Rivers gets it for some reason as well.

Mahomes has been cheap shotted many times and does not even get a second look by the refs. He is the face of the NFL now- you would think they would at least call a fair game.

Just remember Alex Smith days, he would get pummeled. Athletic QBs get no respect...look at cam

Giant Octopodes
09-19-2019, 08:07 PM
Just remember Alex Smith days, he would get pummeled. Athletic QBs get no respect...look at cam

Well yeah, once you step out of the pocket the rules change. And I don't mean that from a refs treat them differently perspective, I mean the rules literally change. They can get hit in ways that would be immediately flagged were it to happen in the pocket, that's part of the tradeoff of scrambling.

As far as the refs protecting him, I'd believe it. Both from a specific, 'the NFL has already had too many aging legends go out due to injury and doesn't want Tom to get hurt too because it damages their potential viewership and sales' perspective, and from a general 'did you see that guy tackle Baker in a perfectly legal, nearly textbook fashion and get fined for it? The babying of QBs is getting ridiculous' perspective.

Trust me, in the pocket Mahomes will get the same protection this year, the last thing that the NFL wants is to lose its newest golden child to injury. But if he scrambles out of there, there's little they can do.

threebag
09-19-2019, 09:04 PM

What’s the 40 time?

BigRedChief
09-19-2019, 09:07 PM
Good. Maybe Mahones will get the “Brady” treatment soon.

rabblerouser
09-19-2019, 09:08 PM
I'm guessing McMillan simply misunderstood the official. "Get off Tom" and "Get Tom off" likely sound similar in a loud NFL stadium.

Exactly.

Valiant
09-19-2019, 10:17 PM
Well yeah, once you step out of the pocket the rules change. And I don't mean that from a refs treat them differently perspective, I mean the rules literally change. They can get hit in ways that would be immediately flagged were it to happen in the pocket, that's part of the tradeoff of scrambling.

As far as the refs protecting him, I'd believe it. Both from a specific, 'the NFL has already had too many aging legends go out due to injury and doesn't want Tom to get hurt too because it damages their potential viewership and sales' perspective, and from a general 'did you see that guy tackle Baker in a perfectly legal, nearly textbook fashion and get fined for it? The babying of QBs is getting ridiculous' perspective.

Trust me, in the pocket Mahomes will get the same protection this year, the last thing that the NFL wants is to lose its newest golden child to injury. But if he scrambles out of there, there's little they can do.

I hope so but the blatant facemask was missed week one.