PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Week 3 Injury report; Damien Williams ruled OUT, McCoy is questionable

JakeF
09-20-2019, 02:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/y6j2YJ5.jpg

jjchieffan
09-20-2019, 03:12 PM
Good thing we kept 4 running backs. Looks like Thompson will get some work this week.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-20-2019, 03:14 PM
Give them hell DD!! Darwin and Darrell

Hydrae
09-20-2019, 03:20 PM
Why is Thomas listed with no injury? That just look weird to me.

DaFace
09-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Why is Thomas listed with no injury? That just look weird to me.

They're required to list anyone who doesn't practice, and he didn't practice on Wednesday for non-injury reasons.

ThaVirus
09-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Fuckin a, we're banged up.

jjchieffan
09-20-2019, 03:28 PM
The whole league is. And it's no wonder. All the changes in the last CBA lessening practice time, as well as starters barely playing in the preseason is resulting in more injuries do to player's bodies just not being prepared to play. Hopefully, they see that and will make changes in the next CBA.

Titty Meat
09-20-2019, 03:37 PM
I feel like everyone is overlooking the regular season thinking its Chiefs vs Pat's period but The Ravens are a good team this game could dictate home field.

FloridaMan88
09-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Cam, LDT and DRob all with elbow issues... what's up with that?

Simply Red
09-20-2019, 06:42 PM
we'll be fine.

Red Beans
09-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Cam, LDT and DRob all with elbow issues... what's up with that?

Too much whacking it to Mahones' deep balls.

Bump
09-20-2019, 06:43 PM
we don't need to run that much, but I look forward to seeing Darwin out there.

FloridaMan88
09-20-2019, 06:47 PM
Seems like the Chiefs would have signed a RB this week if they thought both Williams and McCoy would be out.

Iconic
09-20-2019, 06:54 PM
choo choo dtrain coming thru

displacedinMN
09-20-2019, 07:03 PM
weren't we really banged up last year vs the Ravens......Hope they can get it done again

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-20-2019, 07:04 PM
Seems like the Chiefs would have signed a RB this week if they thought both Williams and McCoy would be out.

Negative. We still got Darrell Williams

FloridaMan88
09-20-2019, 07:15 PM

If McCoy can't go that only leaves two active RB's for Sunday... Darrel Williams and Thompson.

I guess Sherman could be a third RB if needed.

JohnnyHammersticks
09-20-2019, 07:50 PM

He surprised me in preseason. I knew he was a pretty strong straight ahead banger, but he looked really quick with good vision a few weeks ago. We'll see how it translates to the regular season against starters. At least he's used to running behind Erving's "run-blocking".

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Just run to Schwartz side. Erving god help us if he has to run block

BossChief
09-20-2019, 08:44 PM
This is going to be a very tough matchup. I won’t be shocked if we lose this one, if the weather is shitty.

The bad news:
Erving is a crap run blocker.
We couldn’t run much against Oakland.
Our top 2 backs are banged up (but I do think Darwin is going to be the best of them, anyway.)
They have the best run defense in football.
Bad weather can limit the passing game.
Tyreek bailed us out numerous times in the last matchup.
Their offense is ultra explosive and we’re still early in the year struggling with communication problems.
They have this game circled after losing the last one in overtime.

The good
Jimmy Smith is out
We should be able to scheme lots of open looks against them in coverage
They don’t have a guy to cover Kelce
Earl ran his mouth...so I’m sure Sammy, Kelce, Hardman and Robinson will be ready to challenge that statement about taking away the deep ball.
Thompson looked ready to challenge for the starting job before the team acquired Shady..he knows this is his time to shine. Should be able to have a big receiving game.
They haven’t played anyone good yet and this Chiefs team is truly unreal.

wazu
09-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Running is for losers. Just sling it.

thabear04
09-20-2019, 09:02 PM
This is going to be a very tough matchup. I won’t be shocked if we lose this one, if the weather is shitty.

The bad news:
Our top 2 backs are banged up (but I do think Darwin is going to be the best of them, anyway.)
Their offense is ultra explosive and we’re still early in the year struggling with communication problems.

The good
Jimmy Smith is out
Earl ran his mouth...so I’m sure Sammy, Kelce, Hardman and Robinson will be ready to challenge that statement about taking away the deep ball.
Thompson looked ready to challenge for the starting job before the team acquired Shady..he knows this is his time to shine. Should be able to have a big receiving game.

Guess Earl Thomas forgot what happened last time when Kelce ran him over.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ic_6TwUEBXc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wallcrawler
09-21-2019, 09:01 AM
Ravens arent the same D, and MVP is not the same qb. Hes even better than last year if we coukd imagine such a hilariously op thing.

Exhibit A. Jacksonville game last year, MVP had a meh game, 0 TD and 2 int. This year, 313 and 2 td in first HALF. Dude is putting up full game stats in halves, and most recently, single quarters if football.

Earl thomas cant cover 5 people at once. Mahomes is going to go off at home and the noise level is going to be unbearable for their offense I our home opener.

Halfcan
09-21-2019, 09:37 AM
If McCoy can't go that only leaves two active RB's for Sunday... Darrel Williams and Thompson.

I hope Thompson takes the starting spot this weekend by playing like th next Hunt.

We have to get that running game going.

Dunerdr
09-21-2019, 09:40 AM

DAT can play a little running back. Hes not the solution but every now and then can be an answer.

New World Order
09-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Ravens arent the same D, and MVP is not the same qb. Hes even better than last year if we coukd imagine such a hilariously op thing.

Exhibit A. Jacksonville game last year, MVP had a meh game, 0 TD and 2 int. This year, 313 and 2 td in first HALF. Dude is putting up full game stats in halves, and most recently, single quarters if football.

Earl thomas cant cover 5 people at once. Mahomes is going to go off at home and the noise level is going to be unbearable for their offense I our home opener.

That's true, and he did it this year without his best receiver.

Easy 6
09-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Yeah that kinda sucks, but when you have Money Mahomes it’s next man up... now we get to witness Darwins evolution

In58men
09-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Of course there’s a monsoon tomorrow.

That’s annoying

rabblerouser
09-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Yeah, it's called Hurricane Mahomes, and the Ravens haven't even bought bottled water or boarded up their windows. They think they can just ride the storm out...

New World Order
09-21-2019, 10:11 AM

That’s annoying

Hopefully we'll get a lengthy lightning delay or something.

IowaHawkeyeChief
09-21-2019, 10:12 AM

The bad news:

The good
Jimmy Smith is out

an additional good... The Ravens have one of the worst pass D's in the league.

Chiefshrink
09-21-2019, 10:19 AM
we don't need to run that much, but I look forward to seeing Darwin out there.

Amen to that one !! :thumb: Pick him up in fantasy !! He will split carries with McCoy if not get the bulk IMHO.

58-4ever
09-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Amen to that one !! :thumb: Pick him up in fantasy !! He will split carries with McCoy if not get the bulk IMHO.

It's just a matter of time... the Kid is perfect for this offense...

Chiefshrink
09-21-2019, 10:28 AM
It's just a matter of time... the Kid is perfect for this offense...

You have good "football eyes" !!!:thumb:

Chargem
09-21-2019, 10:48 AM
I'm not convinced it will be that close a game. The Ravens look good statistically but they have played very poor teams so far.

I just watched the 40 minutes 'every play' highlights of their game against Arizona and I don't think they are that special - The cardinals put up plenty of good drives that stalled into field goals within the red zone.

I wouldn't call Arizona's defense special either and they held them to a very beatable score. I would call this game the first proper test of the D. If they can be disciplined and play as a team in the run game then I think the Chiefs win comfortably.

Halfcan
09-21-2019, 11:04 AM
I'm not convinced it will be that close a game. The Ravens look good statistically but they have played very poor teams so far.

I just watched the 40 minutes 'every play' highlights of their game against Arizona and I don't think they are that special - The cardinals put up plenty of good drives that stalled into field goals within the red zone.

I wouldn't call Arizona's defense special either and they held them to a very beatable score. I would call this game the first proper test of the D. If they can be disciplined and play as a team in the run game then I think the Chiefs win comfortably.

It seems the media are forgetting that the Ravens have to come into the Loudest Stadium in the NFL during the Chiefs Home Opener and play against the MVP of the league.

chiefzilla1501
09-21-2019, 11:38 AM
I was fine with trading Hyde. But now am starting to question it. We need a bruiser back to mix things up. He would have been nice to have for this game. Can darrel Williams match his production? He's gonna have to.

Skyy God
09-21-2019, 12:37 PM
The whole league is. And it's no wonder. All the changes in the last CBA lessening practice time, as well as starters barely playing in the preseason is resulting in more injuries do to player's bodies just not being prepared to play. Hopefully, they see that and will make changes in the next CBA.

Yore’re 1,009% wrong.

Football is an inherently injurious sport. More of it leads to more injuries.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/fewer-practices-does-not-mean-more-injuries

scho63
09-21-2019, 12:42 PM
I was fine with trading Hyde. But now am starting to question it. We need a bruiser back to mix things up. He would have been nice to have for this game. Can darrel Williams match his production? He's gonna have to.

Hyde's off to a good start with the Texans

dlphg9
09-21-2019, 12:47 PM
I hate to see injuries, especially injuries to my team (unless it's Mark Cashole or ASS11), but if this is how we get Darwin some playing time, then so be it. I'm hoping he goes off tomorrow and plays his way to being a starter in 2-3 weeks.

staylor26
09-21-2019, 12:51 PM
I hate to see injuries, especially injuries to my team (unless it's Mark Cashole or ASS11), but if this is how we get Darwin some playing time, then so be it. I'm hoping he goes off tomorrow and plays his way to being a starter in 2-3 weeks.

That is very unlikely.

Reid isn’t going to bench Williams and McCoy for Darwin. He’s going to roll with the vets he trusts.

dlphg9
09-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Hyde's off to a good start with the Texans

It's amazing with how bad he was this preseason and how bad he's been in all but one year of his career. Hyde's been a beast and he's playing behind a terrible O-Line

RealSNR
09-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Why is Reid so stingy about his RBs and pass blocking? When Spencer Ware was hurt before the 2017 opener, Kareem Hunt was the backup, not the next best pass blocker. Was Hunt actually the best blocking RB we had behind Ware, even though he had only been in that system for a limited period? Hunt was a very experienced RB in college, so he probably knew most of the basics of blocking, but he still had to work that into his role in the offense, which takes time.

Are we actually teaching Thompson to block from scratch? What the hell was he doing at Utah State? Can't he figure it out? And if it's his size that is limiting him as a blocker, then why is his blocking the excuse at all? Then just use him as an exclusive 3rd down back.

Basically, what I'm saying is, "Learn to fucking block the way Reid wants you to, Darwin, so we can get you on the field faster and start raping teams even harder than we currently are."

ForeverChiefs58
09-21-2019, 12:54 PM
I’m hoping for a big game from McCoy!

RealSNR
09-21-2019, 12:56 PM

I mean, that's what a bunch of people told me. "You don't need Hyde if you have Darrel Williams on the team."

I hope I'm wrong and it works.

Kiimo
09-21-2019, 12:57 PM
It is my opinion that Reid had every intention of keeping Kareem Hunt on the bench his rookie year as well

Danguardace
09-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Have to say injuries have never really derailed this team so not worried.

That is the Reid effect imo.

Megatron96
09-21-2019, 12:59 PM

The one issue I've always had with Andy Reid's RB philosophy is the lack of a true power game, a big "Gruden's Grinder" type back for short-yardage situations.

I'm not saying that this is an Achilles' heel of his offense, or that the lack of such will be the Chiefs' undoing in this game, it's just something I noticed when he was still coaching in Philly that seemed to cost him on occasion.

Would Hyde have successfully filled that role? I don't know; he didn't seem to be very effective for us in his 2nd to last preseason game with us.

Can D. Williams provide the hammer for this offense this weekend? Again, I don't know. He's got the physical size for the job certainly. Not sure if his talent is there though. Too small a sample size, IMO.

And then there's Andy. Will he recognize when to insert Williams, or even Sherm when a dose of bulldozer is required?

I watched the Cards game twice and noticed that near the goal-line the Cards tried a lot of passing game trickery to get into the end-zone, most of which didn't work. Now, Kingsbury isn't Andy, and Murray isn't Mahomes, but what I saw was that the Ravens played pretty good red-zone D. Though the first pass to Fitzy in the end-zone was well off-target; if it had been within his reach, that was a TD.

I remember thinking, "why don't they at least try a run up the middle?"

RealSNR
09-21-2019, 01:09 PM
The one issue I've always had with Andy Reid's RB philosophy is the lack of a true power game, a big "Gruden's Grinder" type back for short-yardage situations.

I'm not saying that this is an Achilles' heel of his offense, or that the lack of such will be the Chiefs' undoing in this game, it's just something I noticed when he was still coaching in Philly that seemed to cost him on occasion.

Would Hyde have successfully filled that role? I don't know; he didn't seem to be very effective for us in his 2nd to last preseason game with us.

Can D. Williams provide the hammer for this offense this weekend? Again, I don't know. He's got the physical size for the job certainly. Not sure if his talent is there though. Too small a sample size, IMO.

And then there's Andy. Will he recognize when to insert Williams, or even Sherm when a dose of bulldozer is required?

I watched the Cards game twice and noticed that near the goal-line the Cards tried a lot of passing game trickery to get into the end-zone, most of which didn't work. Now, Kingsbury isn't Andy, and Murray isn't Mahomes, but what I saw was that the Ravens played pretty good red-zone D. Though the first pass to Fitzy in the end-zone was well off-target; if it had been within his reach, that was a TD.

I remember thinking, "why don't they at least try a run up the middle?"

It's an even bigger deal for us these days. Mahomes is still young and occasionally frightens me when he says shit like, "I want to get hit. It gets me amped up."

Now, that's not to say I don't trust Mahomes to complete short yardage or 4th down plays with his arm. I totally do. He's the best in the game at it. But I've also seen him sacrifice his body far too many times for an extra yard. At least he's only doing it in critical situations these days, but I'd prefer he didn't have to do it at all unless it's what's considered a "safe" carry like a QB sneak (even Trent Green and his chronically gimpy knee used to do those).

If we had a reliable short yardage back, that'd cut down on the number of times Mahomes thinks he has to be a hero.

keg in kc
09-21-2019, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure how big a deal traditional red zone offense really is for this team, although it might be more pertinent tomorrow because of the conditions. But our "red zone" is basically the 50-yard line at this point.

Megatron96
09-21-2019, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure how big a deal traditional red zone offense really is for this team, although it might be more pertinent tomorrow because of the conditions. But our "red zone" is basically the 50-yard line at this point.

I honestly don't know if there's anything in Andy's playbook that could be called 'traditional,' unless we qualify it as West Coast offense traditional.

However, there are times when a simple run up the gut, so to say, is really the best option. What that looks like in Andy's mind is up for debate. We've seen him use defensive tackles at times in those situations, though I can't remember one used just to get a first down; I've only seen him do that sort of thing near the end-zone.

What I really don't like is when he tries some kind of short pass play with a lot of motion pre-snap, that ends up not working, and then Mahomes decides (possibly planned?) to try to run for it himself. Sooner or later he's going to take a big hit doing that, and if he gets hurt in the process, that's the end of our season. I'd much rather have some big Tom Rathman type back do that.

King_Chief_Fan
09-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Don't fret friends

The sausage will carry the load to get first downs or have a needed catch out of the back field.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Pretty sure this team could roll with zero RBs and be just fine.

neech
09-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Don't fret friends

The sausage will carry the load to get first downs or have a needed catch out of the back field.

Now is the time for Sherman to step up with the injury to Damien and McCoy not at 100 percent and the rain factor. I always thought he was underutilized in this offense and I wondered at times why they keep him on the roster.

neech
09-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Why is Reid so stingy about his RBs and pass blocking? When Spencer Ware was hurt before the 2017 opener, Kareem Hunt was the backup, not the next best pass blocker. Was Hunt actually the best blocking RB we had behind Ware, even though he had only been in that system for a limited period? Hunt was a very experienced RB in college, so he probably knew most of the basics of blocking, but he still had to work that into his role in the offense, which takes time.

Are we actually teaching Thompson to block from scratch? What the hell was he doing at Utah State? Can't he figure it out? And if it's his size that is limiting him as a blocker, then why is his blocking the excuse at all? Then just use him as an exclusive 3rd down back.

Basically, what I'm saying is, "Learn to ****ing block the way Reid wants you to, Darwin, so we can get you on the field faster and start raping teams even harder than we currently are."

Its not like they are teaching them physics and Thompson played football in college so one wouldn't think it would be very difficult to teach them how to block.

I remember when it was year two of Dee Ford's contract the Chiefs announcer were saying he's still learning the position, I'm like WTF?

JohnnyHammersticks
09-21-2019, 02:19 PM

I watched almost every play of their first 2 games and I agree with all your points.

And if Darrell gets to play, he's going to surprise some people in here.

Chiefs 38
Ravens 27

Megatron96
09-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Its not like they are teaching them physics and Thompson played football in college so one wouldn't think it would be very difficult to teach them how to block.

I remember when it was year two of Dee Ford's contract the Chiefs announcer were saying he's still learning the position, I'm like WTF?

RBs in college are rarely asked to learn to pass protect, certainly not at a pro level. And pass blocking isn't necessarily the simple skill that some seem to think it is.

For instance, Adrian Peterson, wasn't considered a "3-down" back until his third year, based entirely on his pass protection skills, which were non-existent when he came into the league. Further, he was never considered a skilled pass protector, in fact after seven years with the Vikings he was ranked in the lower half of RBs in pass protection metrics; 29th out of 54 RBs that took at least 25 snaps. Since then he hasn't improved much, in spite of several off-season's worth of work on it since leaving the Vikes.

Sometimes it comes easier for some backs. Take our own Shady McCoy. Just 5 years ago he was also rated in the bottom third among backs in pass pro. But by 2017 he'd transformed himself as a pass blocker, rising to the rank of fifth overall, tied with one Ezekiel Elliot.

The bottom line, in the NFL it's pass protection by the RB that makes him a 3rd down back, not pass-catching.

JakeF
09-21-2019, 02:42 PM

I remember thinking, "why don't they at least try a run up the middle?"Andy Reid just doesn't want to use power backs. I don't understand his hang-up about it. Guys like Ware are about as close as he comes. It's in his head that his running backs must be able to run wheel routes like a WR or they won't work for him.

DaFace
09-22-2019, 07:45 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Chiefs</a> RB LeSean McCoy, who tweaked his ankle last week, is considered a game-time decision, but there is optimism that he starts today, sources say. He should have a big role.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1175684406008307713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Deberg_1990
09-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Seems like a perfect day for Andy Reid to unleash his Sausage

Chris Meck
09-22-2019, 07:57 AM
guys, it's less about THE BACK and more about Reid's style of offensive line play. They move, they trap, they pull, they're athletic, and it's complicated.

Just like the rest of his offense.

The one downside to it is that we're not very good in situations where they need to just man up and maul the guy in front of them.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-22-2019, 08:34 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LeSean McCoy limping into Arrowhead. He’s considered a game time decision (ankle). He wasn’t moving too good honestly. He also didn’t know where to go. It’s his first time playing here as a Chief. <a href="https://t.co/MGMo5RAv6O">pic.twitter.com/MGMo5RAv6O</a></p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1175780048785354752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

loochy
09-22-2019, 08:35 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LeSean McCoy limping into Arrowhead. He’s considered a game time decision (ankle). He wasn’t moving too good honestly. He also didn’t know where to go. It’s his first time playing here as a Chief. <a href="https://t.co/MGMo5RAv6O">pic.twitter.com/MGMo5RAv6O</a></p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1175780048785354752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 22, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks to me like he's walking funny because he's carrying a heavy bag

petegz28
09-22-2019, 08:35 AM

He was looking a little soft there..no need playing him on a shit field today

PHOG
09-22-2019, 08:37 AM
DT Time! :thumb:

dlphg9
09-22-2019, 09:12 AM
He was looking a little soft there..no need playing him on a shit field today

That's what I was thinking. No need to play him on a bad ankle when the field is going to be a swamp. Players play on sprained ankles all the time and I don't really think he would injure it worse. I just don't think he's going to be very effective, because the combination of a bum ankle and mud will really slow him down. It's time to see what Darwin can do. It's not like we need a run game anyways.

Chargem
09-22-2019, 09:18 AM
guys, it's less about THE BACK and more about Reid's style of offensive line play. They move, they trap, they pull, they're athletic, and it's complicated.

Just like the rest of his offense.

The one downside to it is that we're not very good in situations where they need to just man up and maul the guy in front of them.

Agree 1000%. And, the Chiefs have had no problems with 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 situations the last couple of years anyway, you don't need to waste a roster spot on a "Bruiser back".

Beef Supreme
09-22-2019, 09:20 AM
That's just his pimp walk. :D

DaFace
09-22-2019, 09:38 AM
Shady is active.