PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Smiles, pushes and beer: Inside the defining scenes of the Chiefs’ win over the Lions

Hammock Parties
09-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Something magic about this team.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article235605422.html

The star quarterback’s face broke into a child’s smile at the instant the game’s outcome was pushed to the edge of the cliff and the center offered beer to the running back for his help on a touchdown.

We’ll get to all of that.

But first, a scene from Chiefs’ locker room:

LeSean McCoy, the new running back: “We undefeated! Y’all, I haven’t been undefeated in ... man, I don’t even know. Y’all take it for granted.”

Jeff Allen, the lineman in his sixth season with the Chiefs: “We’re used to it, bruh.”

Darrel Williams, the running back in his second season: “Big facts.”

The Chiefs screwed a hundred things up Sunday in Detroit, and that’s probably conservative. The offense lost as many fumbles as it scored touchdowns. Patrick Mahomes did not throw a touchdown for just the second time as the Chiefs’ QB1. They missed a field goal. They buried themselves in penalties.

And here they are anyway, celebrating a 34-30 win over the previously unbeaten Lions after the first game-winning, come-from-behind, last-minute touchdown drive of Mahomes’ career.

So much happened here. Mahomes had an MVP moment, with brain and body and emotion. The Chiefs’ defense made the play of the game. The offensive line once criticized by a rival coach for relying on “gimmicks” quite literally pushed its running back over the goal line for the day’s defining moment.

Lots to get to. Another scene, this one from the goal line:

Second and goal from the 1-yard line, 24 seconds left, opportunities at a premium. The Chiefs are a speed team. A timing team. One strategy opponents have workshopped is to be tougher, stronger, meaner. Mahomes is a magician, the theory goes, but force the Chiefs to win with brawn and you might have them beat.

Nine Lions defenders stood within two yards of the line of scrimmage as center Austin Reiter snapped the ball to Mahomes. The handoff went to Darrel Williams, who saw a crease of open air. Offensive linemen Andrew Wyle and Cam Irving pushed their guys back, but a better path opened between right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif and right tackle Mitchell Schwartz.

Middle linebacker Jarrad Davis met Williams head-on, standing him up. For a blink, maybe Williams was stopped. Then came Reiter, pushed off the line of scrimmage at the snap but now shoving a defensive tackle out of the way and smashing like a charging bull directly into Williams’ ribs.

Touchdown.

“Being on the 1-yard line, as a running back, you shouldn’t be denied,” Williams said.

“Every time we get one of those touchdowns, I look at it like it’s mine and not the running back’s,” Wylie said.

“Austin pushed the (spit) out of him,” Duvernay-Tardif said.

“I told him after: ‘I owe you a case of beer for hitting you in the back,’” Reiter said.

The Chiefs, who lost four times in the final minutes or overtime last year, won their first test of resiliency in their most serious Super Bowl push in generations. An offseason goal achieved.

Another scene, this one from the huddle:

Two minutes, 20 seconds left. The Chiefs trailed by 3, and it could’ve worse. They hadn’t played well. Sloppy. Mahomes missed some throws. Receivers messed up some routes. Mahomes, for all his gifts, had not won a game like this with a touchdown.

The Chiefs came back in the fourth quarter last year against the Ravens but won in overtime with a field goal. Mahomes had a hero’s chance against the Rams. The Chiefs lost late against the Chargers and the Patriots (twice).

“This is what we get paid to do!” he said in Sunday’s huddle, according to teammates.

The first snap was coach Andy Reid’s, an inside screen to give Detroit’s pass rushers something to think about. First down.

The second play had to be Mahomes’. Nobody was open on first down, a second-down completion went nowhere and a third-down pass missed high to Demarcus Robinson. That’s fourth and 8, and at that moment computer projections gave the Chiefs an 11.9 percent chance of winning.

And there, with a juiced crowd filling this dome with noise, Mahomes looked at his 10 friends in the huddle — and smiled.

“Let’s go,” he told them.

“Pat thrives in those situations,” Wylie would say later. “He really does.”

The Lions rushed three and dropped eight, typical in that situation but probably not ideal against Mahomes. The protection held up, and the Lions rushed upfield, ambitious but perhaps a bit careless because the field opened in front of Mahomes. He ran straight ahead, slid before anyone could hit him, set the ball on the turf and signaled first down.

The projections then had the Chiefs at 51 percent.

“There’s definitely a calm there,” Reiter said.

“He told us: ‘We’re not doing anything different, just be ourselves,’” Wylie said.

“Verbally, mentally, as a leader on this team keeping us collected,” tight end Travis Kelce said.

Then came a broken play when the Lions doubled Kelce but forgot about him when the play appeared designed the other way. That left Kelce wide open and led to another first down. Field goal range.

Robinson took a crossing route 9 yards, Mecole Hardman caught a first down, and the Chiefs pushed the ball inside the 5 with the second catch of Byron Pringle’s NFL career.

Then came the toughness, Williams’ rushing straight at the linebacker, Reiter pushing the (spit) out of him, the promise of the beer and — after surviving two Hail Marys — the locker room celebration.

They’re used to it, bruh.

Games like this used to go against the Chiefs. For years, for decades. The other team always had the quarterback who made the play, who created belief, who smiled when the world around him shook.

Then Mahomes showed up.

“When it’s all said and done he’s going to be one of the best to ever play the position,” Chiefs linebacker Anthony Hitchens said. “As a quarterback (in his) second year of playing, he just did something that some quarterbacks who have been playing for years can’t do.”

MAHOMO 4 LIFE!
09-29-2019, 08:33 PM
I love how much fun Shady is having

In58men
09-29-2019, 08:33 PM
I fucking love this team!!

Hammock Parties
09-29-2019, 08:38 PM
I said this team would be 7-0 before the Packers game and I really do believe it.

If they beat the Packers...the 16-0 talk starts. :)

Rain Man
09-29-2019, 08:40 PM
I hope at some point in the huddle, Mahomes says, "Look. Up in the stands over there. That's John Candy."

Hammock Parties
09-29-2019, 08:48 PM
I hope at some point in the huddle, Mahomes says, "Look. Up in the stands over there. That's John Candy."

Wrong.

He will clearly say "Look, up in the stands over there. That's John Goodman."

And after it is broadcast, Chiefsplanet will exclaim in unison: "But I thought he was dead?"

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-29-2019, 08:54 PM
I said this team would be 7-0 before the Packers game and I really do believe it.

I called my shot months ago and I'm not backing down from it.

Un.

D.

Feated.

BWillie
09-29-2019, 08:58 PM
McCoy is going to love it even more when they win a super bowl. If the dude balls out this year and next annnd gets a super bowl he can make hof

Lzen
09-29-2019, 09:01 PM

That would be kinda weird since John candy died years ago. But yeah, nice Montana reference.

DRM08
09-29-2019, 09:03 PM

I'd just like to see them have a good first quarter at this point. Seems too much to ask of this team lately. :huh:

Simply Red
09-29-2019, 09:03 PM
nice

lewdog
09-29-2019, 09:31 PM
I LOVE Shady. He deserves this after spending 4 years in Buffalo.

rabblerouser
09-29-2019, 09:54 PM
I'd just like to see them have a good first quarter at this point. Seems too much to ask of this team lately. :huh:

We used to have great first quarters with guys like Trent, Alex, Cassel, and Huard, only to piss it all away at the end.

I'm loving the wins. .4th quarter is where it's at.

WhiteWhale
09-29-2019, 09:57 PM
All I know is that the Chiefs seemed 'off' all game and still found a way to win. On the road. Against a solid team.

Were they off or did Detroit throw them off? I don't care. All I know is I wasn't feelin' it, and they still won.

Winning games you probably shouldn't win is just something good teams do.

Rain Man
09-29-2019, 09:57 PM
That would be kinda weird since John candy died years ago. But yeah, nice Montana reference.

Mahomes has supernatural powers. But he could also merely be seeing Randy Reid.

Hammock Parties
09-29-2019, 10:11 PM
I LOVE Shady. He deserves this after spending 4 years in Buffalo.

I very badly want to make a McCoy highlight video set to "Lady in Red," but with the lyrics slightly altered, and Shaggy Shane on the vocals, this offseason.

Keep balling, Shady in Red.

rabblerouser
09-29-2019, 10:21 PM
I very badly want to make a McCoy highlight video set to "Lady in Red," but with the lyrics slightly altered, and Shaggy Shane on the vocals, this offseason.

Keep balling, Shady in Red.

SHADY
SHADY
SHADY

carcosa
09-29-2019, 10:24 PM
All I know is that the Chiefs seemed 'off' all game and still found a way to win. On the road. Against a solid team.

Were they off or did Detroit throw them off? I don't care. All I know is I wasn't feelin' it, and they still won.

Hell yip!!!!

T-post Tom
09-29-2019, 10:28 PM

:) Perfect! Zombie Candy!!!

https://i.ibb.co/6tYdgGC/john-candy.jpg

Hammock Parties
09-29-2019, 10:30 PM
SHADY
SHADY
SHADY

I've got all his clips saved.

I know Shane can do it (his voice is perfect for that song too).

I just need Shady to keep balling.

scho63
09-29-2019, 10:42 PM
I love how much fun Shady is having

I love how much he is contributing! :thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-29-2019, 10:52 PM

Absolutely.

I know that you can never underestimate your opponent, but must admit that I'm shocked at how close these games have been. I expected a certain amount of the opposition gunning for us based on Mahomes and his otherworldly talent, but I seriously thought we would be shutting out games and killing the spirit of the other team by the end of the first half.

Either we're being treated like the reigning champs where everyone wants to take us down, or we're not keeping the opposition out of the end zone as much as we should be. And maybe Mahomes isn't shooting for 50-burgers like last season.

:shrug:

rabblerouser
09-29-2019, 11:18 PM
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/71395507_3631310306894508_2177399684354539520_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_eui2=AeFLrKQmzg1jAKBiCxhoCQmqXd_aqFfhNmfLA76IqudDvAQ0LmV9cZv5xGcpVLOOJoW0nuvTAzvjDMS2oYw6rF6lG1L z5-v0aSbZXylqHqnhcg&_nc_oc=AQk6G9HiT5z82y55Z-7MilhnSblx8A0v6vNTi09OhfDLQVLswYYiKRzPtL_WDBHTSu0&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&tp=1&oh=8f3883e5a434cd96bdb241075dcb70a0&oe=5E2ED3CB

Simply Red
09-29-2019, 11:21 PM
Hell yip!!!!

yip x2 bff

Tribal Warfare
09-29-2019, 11:35 PM
Fuck Jeff Rosen, and the KCSTAR

HonestChieffan
09-30-2019, 05:34 AM
Absolutely.

I know that you can never underestimate your opponent, but must admit that I'm shocked at how close these games have been. I expected a certain amount of the opposition gunning for us based on Mahomes and his otherworldly talent, but I seriously thought we would be shutting out games and killing the spirit of the other team by the end of the first half.

Either we're being treated like the reigning champs where everyone wants to take us down, or we're not keeping the opposition out of the end zone as much as we should be. And maybe Mahomes isn't shooting for 50-burgers like last season.

Win is the thing...but this was a day the Chiefs saw they are a long way from a ring. Lucky as hell. Lions should never have been in the game.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-30-2019, 10:09 PM
Win is the thing...but this was a day the Chiefs saw they are a long way from a ring. Lucky as hell. Lions should never have been in the game.

Ancient Stafford laying 30 burgers? I don't like that shit AT ALL.

Megatron96
10-01-2019, 12:43 AM
Shady is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Chiefs on this team. I was a little nervous about coming into this year without a true veteran presence among the RBs group.

I underestimated the Lions coming into this game; I guess we all did. I discounted their win against the Patriots last year as a fluke. I looked at their opponents this year, and their stats in those games and ignored the little voice in the back of my head that always warns, "there's lies, damned lies, and statistics." I believed in those stats enough not to really look at the films of those games, which is where you fill in the blanks.

Well the Lions proved to everyone that they are more than the sum of their stats. They proved that they are for real by beating the reigning Super Bowl champion Patriots last year and coming within a few inches of defeating our Chiefs.

I think we should be glad that this game unfolded the way it did. I believe that this game will be a turning point in the season. We just saw how the team reacts to a veritable hailstorm of adversity. Our defense couldn't stop the run for most of the game. They couldn't stop the passing attack of the Lions either. Stafford played one of his best games in some time. Their defense, in spite of their deficiencies due to injuries, played really solid football.

Our offense was off all day. Mahomes couldn't connect with his receivers. Our running game sputtered. Our receivers started coughing up the football. Just about everything that could go wrong, did go wrong for about 58 minutes.

It was a game that prior to last year, we all know our Chiefs would've lost.

But Mahomes just wouldn't allow that to happen. And he talked our team into believing him. And in a magnificent display of moxie, intelligence, and talent, Mahomes marched our team down the field and using the clock like a Montana, he led the team to the game-winning score with just :30 seconds left.

And if a stumbling, bumbling, reeling Kansas City Chiefs can pull it together as a team, and beat the team that defeated the Patriots, then what can't this team accomplish?

TwistedChief
10-01-2019, 02:17 AM
I underestimated the Lions coming into this game; I guess we all did.

I think we should be glad that this game unfolded the way it did. I believe that this game will be a turning point in the season. We just saw how the team reacts to a veritable hailstorm of adversity.

Two thoughts:
1/ if a guy with the name of Megatron on a Chiefs message board is underestimating the Lions, what hope do the rest of us have?!
2/ it was a sloppy, ugly game, but I love that they overcame the 'hailstorm of adversity.' This was a character-building win that should hopefully serve to refocus them.

And yes, I'm digging McCoy too. The guy is clearly having fun like a kid in a candy store as he's never had in his career and it's great to see his enthusiasm (especially as a well-established veteran).

RedRaider56
10-01-2019, 05:06 AM
Absolutely.

Don't forget that Reid pretty much went into turtle mode in the 2nd half of the first 3 games. I think this offense needs to build on the rhythm they had going on early in those games, but the yo-yo effect of Reid's play calling during the games hasn't helped the offense keep it going.

htismaqe
10-01-2019, 06:45 AM
And yes, I'm digging McCoy too. The guy is clearly having fun like a kid in a candy store as he's never had in his career and it's great to see his enthusiasm (especially as a well-established veteran).

I'm sure he's thrilled to be on the same team as Mahomes and have a legit shot at getting a ring before his body forces him to retire...

tmax63
10-01-2019, 07:25 AM
Don't forget that Reid pretty much went into turtle mode in the 2nd half of the first 3 games. I think this offense needs to build on the rhythm they had going on early in those games, but the yo-yo effect of Reid's play calling during the games hasn't helped the offense keep it going.

Everyone keeps saying that Reid goes into safe mode when he gets a lead but I'm not so sure. All it takes is an illegal procedure or any small slip and a drive is stalled in today's NFL. I wonder if the offense as a whole may "relax" a little bit and suddenly because MH or SW didn't come out of his break like their ass was on fire the pass is a foot overthrown or one of the linemen is a half a step slower getting to the second level etc.etc. I'm just not sure it's the playcalling but more of an execution problem.