PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What's up with Claiborne?

oldman
10-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Now that Claiborne has served his timeout, when do we have to activate him? Once we do, who leaves the team to open a roster spot? With Fisher out for an indefinite period, I doubt it would be an OL unless it's the new guy, Senat. Hill's return is still up in the air, so I don't see moving a WR either. It will surely take some time for Claiborne to get up to game ready, so that makes a secondary move doubtful.

Discuss.

jjchieffan
10-02-2019, 08:35 AM
According to NFL.com, his suspension has been lifted and the team has a roster exemption for him. I haven't seen any moves to remove anyone from the roster for him yet though.

oldman
10-02-2019, 08:43 AM
How long is the exemption good for? If we have a week, I don't see any wisdom in making a move this week.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2019, 08:46 AM
How long is the exemption good for? If we have a week, I don't see any wisdom in making a move this week.

Until Sunday.

The Chiefs exemption expires on gameday and they have to get down to 53 men by then.

I think I'd cut Thomas, to be honest. Or maybe that T we plucked off waivers. Lucas also hasn't done himself any favors.

dlphg9
10-02-2019, 08:46 AM
I think I heard on the radio yesterday that he will be playing or maybe that he was available to play. Can't remember what it was haha. I know I'm no help

Mecca
10-02-2019, 08:51 AM
The guys who should probably be nervous would be...Senat, Hunter, Lucas. I just can't see them keeping 11 OL all year.

O.city
10-02-2019, 09:06 AM
Or Ragland

threebag
10-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Please for the love of God cut DAT

DJ's left nut
10-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Or Ragland

If they didn't roll him against Baltimore, I'm not sure who they're hanging onto him to face.

Minnesota? That's about the last time I can see him being moderately useful.

kepp
10-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Please for the love of God cut DAT

This. He adds nothing.

O.city
10-02-2019, 09:12 AM
If they didn't roll him against Baltimore, I'm not sure who they're hanging onto him to face.

MInnesota is the only team that will get in the normal down hill run game I think so other than that, yeah, no clue.

I think it's a little of Veach's idea keeping him around, a guy they liked and traded for etc.

I dont' know what purpose he really has.

O.city
10-02-2019, 09:13 AM
I understand not liking DAT, but he has a purpose.

He isn't really good at anything I don't think, but he can actually do a lot competently.

He's good on ST and can be an offensive player in a pinch.

kepp
10-02-2019, 09:17 AM

He isn't really good at anything I don't think, but he can actually do a lot competently.

Is he? Maybe on coverage...don't know...but I don't want him anywhere near a punt/kickoff return. Maybe have an extra player out there to bear hug him on the 10 yard line so he can't go backwards?

jjchieffan
10-02-2019, 09:21 AM
The fact that they haven't made a move yet has me wondering a bit. Maybe they think that Hill could return this week, so they can Cut DAT? I mean, why wait other than that?

O.city
10-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Looking back at the offseason and the early season so far, Justin Coleman would have been a really nice signing for the Chiefs at CB. Didn't think he was that good, but man he's playing well.

ChiTown
10-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Lucas has been a trainwreck - I'd whack him. Pringle probably saved his ass with that one catch, and holding onto the ball after becoming a human pinata..

Dunerdr
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM
i admit, i wasnt high on tremon smith, he was a fair returner but really just a run fast forward guy. i thought dat would bring a little lateral ability to the return game but hes been pretty terrible.

rabblerouser
10-02-2019, 09:30 AM
The fact that they haven't made a move yet has me wondering a bit. Maybe they think that Hill could return this week, so they can Cut DAT? I mean, why wait other than that?

I don't think they have to cut anyone - Claiborne has a roster exemption designation, right?

Frazod
10-02-2019, 09:34 AM

He's displayed terrible judgment in the return game, numerous times. Of course, he's certainly not alone in that department, but still, he should know better.

To me he seems like Andy's attempt to duplicate Dante Hall. Well, that shit hasn't worked at all. And he brings nothing to the party that justifies his roster spot.

jjchieffan
10-02-2019, 09:34 AM
I don't think they have to cut anyone - Claiborne has a roster exemption designation, right?

Yeah, until Sunday. But if they know who they want to cut, I don't see why they wait. It's not like they can have a 54 man roster on Sunday anyway. Maybe they're trying to trade someone(Ragland?) instead of cutting them?

treeguy27
10-02-2019, 09:39 AM
DAT needs to go. He has the mindset that we need him to make some spectacular return every time he is back there. This offense doesn't need every extra yard of field position it can get, like previous ones did. This offense just needs a returner to make smart decisions and not put the offense in the hole. DAT seemingly can't do that.

Brooklyn
10-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Yeah, until Sunday. But if they know who they want to cut, I don't see why they wait. It's not like they can have a 54 man roster on Sunday anyway. Maybe they're trying to trade someone(Ragland?) instead of cutting them?

guys get injured in practice all the time. cut someone on the roster, another guy breaks his leg in practice, then what? wait till the last possible moment and then move.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Because there is maybe a 10% chance that waiting helps them.

There is a 0% chance that being impatient and doing it now does.

Explain to me what possible benefit there could be in cutting someone today instead of waiting until Saturday to do it?

ModSocks
10-02-2019, 09:58 AM

DAT is one of these guys who fans have this irrational hate for.

The guy is clearly loved by his teammates and is dependable on special teams. Isn't he a special teams captain?

He's a solid role player. There are far worse players on this roster.

Frosty
10-02-2019, 10:03 AM
DAT is one of these guys who fans have this irrational hate for.

The guy is clearly loved by his teammates and is dependable on special teams. Isn't he a special teams captain?

He's a solid role player. There are far worse players on this roster.

He was also the only kick returner against Detroit that didn't do something stupid. Pringle brought it out from six yards deep and got stopped inside the 20 and Hardman fumbled. DAT also had a nice return to the 40 that was wiped out by a hold by Lucas.

DJ's left nut
10-02-2019, 10:11 AM
He was also the only kick returner against Detroit that didn't do something stupid. Pringle brought it out from six yards deep and got stopped inside the 20 and Hardman fumbled. DAT also had a nice return to the 40 that was wiped out by a hold by Lucas.

DAT fumbled a punt before one of the gunners recovered it. And he's fielded punts inside the 5 at least twice.

Rukdafaidas
10-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Because there is maybe a 10% chance that waiting helps them.

There is a 0% chance that being impatient and doing it now does.

Explain to me what possible benefit there could be in cutting someone today instead of waiting until Saturday to do it?
Can Claiborne return to practice before being placed on the 53? He hasn't practiced since the season started. So, maybe they would want him to start getting some reps.

ljmhawk
10-02-2019, 10:17 AM
people thinking Claiborne is going to solve our secondary problem are going to be very disappointed.

Wilson8
10-02-2019, 10:23 AM
As others have said, they have the time this week so no rush to make decision yet.

Here is the roster solution.

CB Rashad Fenton has had a total of 24 special teams snap counts, none on actual defense. Cut him, give #27 to Morris Claiborne and now #20 is an available jersey number in case some CB might be traded for.

or

For the Detroit game, the Chiefs had Ryan Hunter and Jeff Allen as their backup OL. Nick Allegretti, Greg Senat, and Martinas Rankin were inactive. Maybe the Chiefs decide between Senat and Rankin and KC can reduce their OL count down from 11.

Simply Red
10-02-2019, 10:24 AM
people thinking Claiborne is going to solve our secondary problem are going to be very disappointed.

He'll improve the secondary.

jjchieffan
10-02-2019, 10:34 AM

I don't think that anyone is expecting him to "fix" the secondary. But we are hoping to see some improvement. Get his experience in Ward's spot, then bump Ward down to cover lesser receivers. Hopefully, that allows an extra stop or 2 a game. That would be enough..

Hydrae
10-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Can Claiborne return to practice before being placed on the 53? He hasn't practiced since the season started. So, maybe they would want him to start getting some reps.

He should be practicing this week for sure. That is the point of the exemption time; to get the player back up to speed following 4 weeks of no practice, games, etc.

BigRedChief
10-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Hill is definitely coming back so they need two slots cleared.

Wilson8
10-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Hill is definitely coming back so they need two slots cleared.

Tyreek Hill is already on 53 man roster.

big nasty kcnut
10-02-2019, 03:11 PM
No tyreek wasn't put on ir so we just need to find one spot. I think lucus is gone.

RealSNR
10-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Too many OL. Cut from there.

RealSNR
10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
You cut DAT and we suddenly only have 4 WRs on the team while Tyreek is hurt. One of those guys goes down in a game and you’re left with 3. 2 of those 4 WRs are a confused rookie and Byron Pringle.

Don’t cut DAT now. Not until Hill is completely healthy

threebag
10-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Fuck DAT